• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Futuristic [Nova City] A Ledger, Dripping Red (closed)

Jodyguru

Devil's Food
Like many in Nova, you make your living off of the suffering of others. However, the life of an assassin is less complicated than many want to believe. An assignment comes across your desk, details are included, along with keys, access codes, and special requests. Most of the time it's just a chore, like taking out the garbage. Someone who can do the job reliably and without remorse or sentiment can quickly have it made, but at the cost of making some powerful enemies along the way. Though, you haven't been doing the job long enough for either. Your fortune comes from a trust fund set up by your father before his untimely demise, allowing you to afford a modest home in Raven territory.

The mob-controlled territory is more peaceful than the inner city, but conflict will occasionally explode into grand scale destruction when heavily armed factions clash. Last night, a corporate military unit attempted to push through Raven defenses to take a few blocks with armored vehicles, but were not expecting a rag-tag group of gang members to have access to landmines and RPGs. The event was recorded and played on the morning news, where you first heard about it. Shortly after that, you received an e-mail from someone working within the Raven network, asking for a meeting at the Bird Nest Tavern. They mention how after last night's attack, they feel it important to send a message, and they'd rather discuss details in person.

Date: Tuesday July 15, 2256 10:30 AM
Condition: Healthy
Condition of vehicle: Normal; Gas: 1/2 full
Bank: 9,000 credits

Your house consists of five rooms: Bedroom, Kitchen, Living Room, Bathroom, and Basement. You also have a garage where your car is usually stowed. The garage is also equipped with a lift kit and access to numerous tools and diagnostic programs. The house is somewhat bland, lacking inspiration from a woman's touch. Upon leaving the bedroom, you would notice your mechanic and partner-in-crime Reggie sleeping on the couch, snoring loudly into a throw pillow.

Last edited:
Another day, another day...

I brew some coffee, heat up two plates of scrambled eggs and toast, and get to the task of waking Reggie up.

Reggie was slow to wake, letting out a whine and yawning as his eyes opened. “Let me sleep Webbs, I was up all night.” He groaned and sat up on the couch, rubbing his eyes and stretching.

“I was busy patching up the old girl last night. You know you were an inch away from a bullet hole in your gas tank? You need to treat Roxanne better than that.”

Sian cocked an eyebrow. "The armour plating didn't stop it? At any rate, breakfast is on the table. We've got a contact from Raven network waiting for us, so it'd be best if you ate it quickly."

Reggie hacked up a bit of phlegm and got up.
“The armor did a good job but those fuckers had some AP rounds up their arsenal.” He flashed a toothy grin. “Ravens eh? Typical. When you live on their turf they expect favors from ya.”

Reggie was a stumpy little twerp with a tint of green in his skin. He had hairy moles on his face and arms, and probably more under his clothes. He wore a sleeveless denim jacket with metal band patches on it. He did as he was told and ate breakfast quickly, and downed his coffee in a few big sips.

It was still fairly early, and the email did not denote a sense of emergency.

What will you do?
-head straight to the Birds Nest Tavern
-check out the scene from last night’s assault
-travel into the city

"Leave the plate there. Let's get going to the Birds Nest Tavern; with some luck, we'll be getting there before their contact does."

>head straight to the Birds Nest Tavern

Reggie nodded and grabbed the keys off the counter. They went into the garage where the car sat, black and pristine as always. Nobody could tell the thing had been shot at the night before because of Reggie’s masterful repairs.

“Mind if I drive? The place ain’t too far from here. Besides, you drive like a maniac, Webbs” Reggie chided.

"'Course, 'course; you drive." Sian tapped a code into a safe's keypad, and withdrew two firearms and a car key. He handed a gun and the keys to Reggie, and concealed his own pistol inside his clothes.

Reggie was a little surprised to be handed a gun. “Whoa, are you expecting some shit to go down? You gotta tell me the plan, man. They’re gonna pat you down when you go into the place.”

The two got into the car and drove off down the street together. Reggie was careful to drive around the potholes and rusted shells of old cars that littered the streets. The main road was relatively clear, and businesses started popping up. They passed an authentic Italian robot restaurant, a pawn shop, a tech store, and at the end of the street was The Bird’s Nest.

The car came to a stop near the tavern. Sian got out. "Make sure everything's secure. Let's go see what they want..."

Reggie nodded, locking the door and engaging the anti-theft sensors. He stuffed the gun in his pants and followed Sian inside.

The Bird’s Nest was a comfortable speak-easy draped in lush purple furniture with silver accents. A cybered up bartender was making eyes at them as they entered. A well-dressed Black man sat at the bar and stood up.

“Sian, you’re earlier than I was expecting. Please, come in, make yourself at home. Uhh, is he with you?” The man pointed at Reggie. A couple of gangsters were on both sides of them, feeling unsure of these two.”

Sian showed no concern over the gangsters. "I like to be early." He said. He walked up to the man, until there was only a few feet between them. "I expect the Raven sent you."

The man let out a short belly laugh and invited him to sit down. The two gangsters wanted to stop and pat him down, but the Capo stopped them, making an offhand comment how Sian could kill everyone in the room with his bare hands if he wanted to. A gun made little difference.

“They call me Don Jon. I’m a captain in the Ravens, and I called you. Now that we’re acquainted, lemme tell you about this little job.”

“Finally getting to the good stuff!” Reggie commented.

“So last night they hit us, now we hit em back. I’m talking about Winston Food and Drink Company. They think they can push into my hood? Think again. I wanna see bodybags. I want executive blood in the streets. Full on massacre. Don’t stop until they stop twitching. Understand? I’ll send a message so clear they’ll never fuck with us again. If that’s not you, tell me now. I’m looking for a real killer.”

Reggie was visibly excited.

Last edited:
Don Jon snapped his finger and a goon put an envelope in his hand. He handed it to Sian.

“This has a floor plan of the office, and highlighted on it will be a stash of weapons and armor to do the job. We got a man on the inside working IT. He’ll be waiting for you. The secret phrase is “Did you get my thumb drive”. If he answers with anything except “it got lost in the mail” then the job is off. He’ll be wearing a gold pin on his collar.”

He pointed a thick finger on the envelope. “Memorize this and then destroy it. We don’t need anyone catching you with this in your place after the fact.”

Sian seized the envelope, scrutinised it, before sealing it away in a pocket. He nodded. "Good. On to second things then; payment."

Don Jon nodded and produced a thumb drive. “Ten thousand credits loaded on here, plus another five grand if you take out Seymore Hiddler, the CEO working there. Also, five hundred for every casualty. I thought a little incentive would help you get the job done how I want it.”

“He’s definitely going to need backup then.” Reggie nudged Sian with his elbow. “What? Five hundred for every dipshit computer jockey? I’m there. Besides Webbs, you’ll need me watching your back. They aren’t exactly defenseless in there.”

“The toad is right. They’ll most likely have androids acting as security.”

Sian nodded, index fingers pressed to pursed lips. "Thirdly: time. Give me a time, and it'll be done."

The Don nodded, but just sipped his drink and leaned back a bit.

“You’ll get contacted by our inside man when the time is right. Probably a day or so. Gotta make sure Hiddler is in the office, savvy? He’ll give you more details about gaining entry and the exit strategy. Things I’m not allowed to know for security sake.”

The don nodded. "Yes. We're done here. Remember kids, you never heard of us. The Crows haven't landed."

Sian and Reggie were shown the door, and soon they were standing on the street again. Before leaving, Sian had the chance to speak.

You gained 10,000 credits , and an envelope containing a map

Time: 11:00 am
Bank: 19,000 credits

Reggie stretched his arms over his head. His shirt rose up, exposing his pallid skin and the gun tucked in his waistband. "Fucking hell dude... Skating out of a job like this wont be easy. We should go shopping for some tech. You're still pink, man. We should graft a cannon on your shoulder!" He started cackling and thinking about cybernetic implants.

"Perhaps." Said he. "Or perhaps we could purchase an EMP, concealed armour, and false identities."

Reggie’s head was churning with thoughts as they got back into Sian’a black muscle car.

“Def need to conceal ourselves, or you ain’t getting more work any time soon. Armor is good too. The EMP I’m not crazy about. Don said he wants shock and horror. He’s probably counting on that security camera footage. Know what I’m sayin’?”

Sian nodded. "I do. Machine pistols would be good; concealed, yet a high rate of fire to create casualties fast."

Reggie nodded. “Don said something about gear. Maybe this inside guy has big guns for us so we don’t gotta conceal?”

Reggie started driving. “You wanna take a trip to west side? I still think you outta get some cybertech. Remember the guy who sold us the grappling hook for the Landis job? I heard he’s got new friends in the tech scene.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back