Advice/Help Nothing takes off [Resolved, thank you.]

The Dark Creator

Not fun at parties
This happens everywhere. For the longest time i rarely have gotten a roleplay to actually start, and it usually dies before i even get the people i need. 1-3 people usually join, and i can get the character sheet up, but after that it's sometimes just one person to post on the character sheet and that's it. I managed to get one roleplay going, but i didnt like it much and once it (nearly immediately) got out of hand i just let it go. After that my "success" came from my 1x1s... even then not many people did them. Does anyone have any advice?

sorry to hear, i have the same problem often but i only engage in 1x1.
if that's something that might interest you feel free to hit me up and we could discuss ideas!

Yeah I only do 1x1s, seems to be easier to plot things, especially if you're not in the same timezone as everyone else (very common in my case). That said, you can perhaps try to schedule a specific time/date with everyone for plotting and stuff? If you manage to chat with everyone at once and everyone is on the same page, it might be easier to get things going.

Unfortunately there is no universal way to solve this problem.
You could try 1x1 and maybe find a few good rp partners that way that you could potentially invite to join your group rp.... This is pretty much what I did, because the only group rp I ever considered in the last few years was the one with people I already knew as good writers and respectful players.

Or you could just keep trying until you find a rp that works out, because every time different people join . Also depends on GM and ideas, of course. And maybe one day stars align and rp wil take off and last long.

So I only do 1x1s so take my advice with a grain of salt for groups.

My going assumption is for every responses I get for a roleplay pitch - maybe one roleplay will actually get to the posting stage.

That one roleplay may last a week or it may last several months. It sort of depends on the people and plot involved.

The reason things don't pan out are so numerous that listing them all would take hours. But the thing to remember is this....

1. Longevity is very rare in roleplays. Most roleplays make it a few posts or don't get started at all.
2. It is not personal. Nothing that happens has anything to do with you as an individual. It is just the nature of the hobby.

Can't give up on your idea so easily. A friend once told me, " No one is going to care about your baby as much as you". If you're not willing to fight for your idea by being persistent and working hard, then it will never work. I've learned this the hard way, but giving up on something that has steam will never leave you with anything other than mixed feelings and a bad taste in your mouth. You've got a cool idea right now. Don't give up on it.

Aye. I get this feeling alot myself. TBH I've puttered out of a few RPs that I tried to get going here, mostly because the fanbase wasn't feeling them very much, and then I lost interest. If I knew the solution, believe me I would tell you...

I have actually been dealing with this exact issue. I've found that a lot of group rps just don't seem to get out of the Interest Check stage and when they do, some just fall apart for one reason or another. Here's something you could try. Make some friends through 1x1 Rping! Connect with people in a bigger way than just showing up for a group. Then, once you've got a couple people you enjoy 1x1 with, ask them and see if they would want to come to join a group rp. If the people in the group already know you and know you want to rp before they even make a character, they'll be more likely to stick around!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back