Advice/Help Not excited about RPing nowadays, just me?

I think you should be attached to a roleplay even before the partner comes. Generally, you should be attached to the experience it can bring you, rather than the people around. Cause if the people are not so good or some drop, guess what? You'll still love the world. You can branch off and make your own experiences. Heck. Start your own version of the RP with permission. That's a situation I found myself in a few months after joining. The upgraded RP created was 10 times more fun than the original. Mainly because it was now being done by people that had a real enthusiasm for the setting, instead of other less motivating reasons.

If you find yourself RPing more for partners, instead of actual love for the story, you will honestly not get far. Anywhere. You will always be unsatisfied.

For RPs, I like and use the idea of having a "Drop Period". Time at the beginning of a roleplay where you do the most BORING things imaginable. All the character development and scene-setting that no one cares about. It's a necessary thing but not the most fun. 100% of the time, those not really interested or the more timid players will drop out. This is what you want. Come the middle of the roleplay when things start to spice, up you've accomplished a few things. You've taken out the non-committed without destroying the story. You've filled your character development quota. Third, now you get to reward those who've stayed behind with your best work. <-- At this point, I personally don't accept/re-accept anyone else into the RP, but it's up to you.

At the end of the day, just write what you want to write because you want to write it. Others looking for the same thing as you will eventually hop in the more you do so.

Without a partner, the story can't really progress so that's invalid.

I don't understand what you mean. What part is invalid? There was nothing in there about dropping your partner.

You said that we're only in for the story but without a partner (or partners) we can't really be interested in the story because... It's not developing.

You said that we're only in for the story but without a partner (or partners) we can't really be interested in the story because... It's not developing.
Gotcha. No, no. I said don't make your partners the main reason you roleplay. Love for the story and what you're actually RPing should be there too. There are some who get frustrated and give up on RPs because their partners aren't perfect or up to their standards. They always depend on getting the perfect person/people. If they don't get that, then it ruins everything for them. I feel instead of doing that, search for an RP idea you like. It's more likely you'll enjoy and stick to it no matter who else gets involved.

If you have a little care for the RP but moreso the people, you won't stick around once the people start to leave.
If you have a little care for the people but moreso the RP, you will stick around once the people start to leave. Sure you'll be sad, but you'll be able to deal. You are more invested in the RP itself after all.

Gotcha. No, no. I said don't make your partners the main reason you roleplay. Love for the story and what you're actually RPing should be there too. There are some who get frustrated and give up on RPs because their partners aren't perfect or up to their standards. They always depend on getting the perfect person/people. If they don't get that, then it ruins everything for them. I feel instead of doing that, search for an RP idea you like. It's more likely you'll enjoy and stick to it no matter who else gets involved.

If you have a little care for the RP but moreso the people, you won't stick around once the people start to leave.
If you have a little care for the people but moreso the RP, you will stick around once the people start to leave. Sure you'll be sad, but you'll be able to deal. You are more invested in the RP itself after all.

Oh, now that makes more sense.

Except that wasn't the main issue at hand we were discussing. We were more expressing our frustration over the fact WE CANT enjoy the story because too often it dies completely before you can even get into it. I mean, sure you can just replay same idea, different partner but that doesn't mean the story is the same each go around.

What you say about caring about the RP sounds like common sense (and it should be), but I've only been in a mere handful of group roleplays on this site that lasted through the first 10 pages before it dies regardless of who is still interested and who has dropped. 1x1s thankfully tend to go further but even some of them suffer from the 'drop it like it's hot' curse.

That's what also bugs me about the amount of reboots I see going up. A lot of the same people from the original roleplay rejoin the new one. So if there were that many people still interested, why did the old one die in the first place?

Except that wasn't the main issue at hand we were discussing. We were more expressing our frustration over the fact WE CANT enjoy the story because too often it dies completely before you can even get into it.

This is because people drop and are unenthusiastic about the RP though correct? This is exactly what I wrote to. Who cares about those that do so? Why does that keep you from RPing yourself? It shouldn't - unless you for some reason keep roleplaying with the same people. If 5-10 people are truly bummed over being involved with unenthusiastic players, then that is 5-10 people right there, who can get together and start their own role-play where they can enjoy the story. If that is seriously what they're looking for; not just solely to vent.

What you say about caring about the RP sounds like common sense (and it should be), but I've only been in a mere handful of group roleplays on this site that lasted through the first 10 pages before it dies regardless of who is still interested and who has dropped. 1x1s thankfully tend to go further but even some of them suffer from the 'drop it like it's hot' curse.

My last paragraph addressed this. The more and longer you write what you want to write, the easier it is for those who want the same thing, to meet you. You start to see who is here for what. I'm sure you've seen 1 or 2 people from the handful of roleplays you've been in, that you feel good about. Build on that. As you do more RPs you'll have a better of idea of who will make a great story with you.

That's what also bugs me about the amount of reboots I see going up. A lot of the same people from the original roleplay rejoin the new one. So if there were that many people still interested, why did the old one die in the first place?
This goes back to my second point and first point. Why do you still go back to RP with the same group you know you didn't like the first time?

As to why the first one died, that's another whole topic =P

I have my own solution for this problem. The trouble with offering it up as a remedy for anyone else is two fold: first it's not applicable to one on ones (pairing RPs), and second it's only available to detailed (long post) friendly roleplays.

With those qualifiers out of the way, my solution for short lived roleplays is to begin with a multi-post solo arc. Basically, I tell an entire story featuring my character(s) inside the setting of the RP without any direct interaction with other players. Once the arc is finished I'm open to collaborations, but not before it's completely resolved.

What this ensures is that I'm guaranteed to mine something of value (creatively speaking) from the RP should it suffer an early death. I created the charater of my dreams and told a story with them, and I had an audience the entire time. Interestingly enough, when it's finally time for me to interact with other players, I always have far more character development than they have. Because I've featured so much of my characters life during their arc.

I admit it's not a solution for everyone, but it ensures I'm never uninspired to take on whatever new RP calls out to me.

Last edited:
To have quantity over quality doesn't craft you a good piece.

To have quality over quantity, crafts you a great piece.

I've been inactive a lot too, on and off for around 3 years. For me, it's either when people give up on me for roleplaying, or when I give up on them for roleplaying. Other reasons for inactiveness might be that we've taken on so many other hobbies or professions, that it's hard to always stick with the old.

Well, I'm 30 and I've been doing this since I was a teenager. I'm commited, I try to be fun, and I like long term stuff. But there is certainly a shortage of worthwhile players here. So if you're old and cantankerous - hit me up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back