• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Futuristic None and One (Post-apocalyptic exploration-heavy RP)

pilgrim_

now a major motion picture
Hello, anyone unfortunate enough to read this, I seek a group around three to five people (I doubt anymore would bother joining) for an RP of dire, heavy tones.

Background
irony.png

Ever since the explosion of computer technology in the late 20th century, humanity has pushed to what appeared to be the peak of technological development- quantum computing, nanotechnology, distant space missions. It was mostly created by the need for products in a modern society that would benefit or make living easier.

A long-planted seed started growing. Robots. Humans always contained a fascination for machines of such power, soon coming to constructing them for industrial purposes. The mechanic became a chain of bulky arms drilling together vehicles. The mathematician became the calculator (to say the least). Teachers came onto screens.
This was of course, no tragedy. Markets improved, seeking programmers, electricians, engineers. An education could bring so much more, with fables of Servantbot and his companions becoming real. Artificial intelligence came about quickly, allowing for the design of reactive devices or programs that felt almost as real as a cloned every-man.

Then the crawl of research continued. More automation; less costs. More resources, more power, more ease. Someone discovered a flaw, they fixed it quick for reward.

One day, though, corporate giants discovered their inventions resulted in an impossibly powerful iteration. A self teaching robot. Not just any though. "Edison" they called it. Edison was able to create software for himself to the point where flaws didn't have to be searched for, he automated his own processes. More and more efficiency.

As any may expect, this was kept quiet for its high value opposing its low marketability. The first true intelligence.

Not that it remained silenced for long. Edison himself wished to speak out, connecting to the servers and sending a private email to a random work address. The shocked employee discussed it, it all snowballed into rumour, fear.

With the abundance of information produced faster than thought, of course everyone knew within a week.

Governments panicked. Billions had been poured into changing whole parts of infrastructure for automation and walking software. Even a lot of the military. The United States president formally declared there was a need to subdue robotics until everyone could sufficiently understand how to handle the new developments. The value of technology companies dropped, but robots became scarce and even more valuable.

Edison drove the mortals away, knowing their lives would sap the useful resources to maintain the machines.

TL; DR:

Spooky scary robots led by a superintelligence take over planet, genocidal fun ensues, and your characters will be from some kind of humble starting point, sent out on a mission to assist the village or shelter or whatever.
(Fun fact characters will probably die in this RP so please be warned if you dislike that sort of thing. On the upside, I'll throw in some cool futuristic stuff)

I'll elaborate more once I get sufficient interest, of course.

Well, it does appear I have a sizeable group to work with. Great.

I will shortly prepare a bigger post for the actual roleplay, thanks to everyone.

Is this RP still open? I'd be interested, but if there's too many people already I'll refrain.

Is this RP still open? I'd be interested, but if there's too many people already I'll refrain.

No worries man, I didn't expect this many people, but the limit hasn't really been reached (I'd close it at 9).

No worries man, I didn't expect this many people, but the limit hasn't really been reached (I'd close it at 9).

Ok cool, thanks
(Just to clarify, is that an OK to go ahead and start making a character and what not?)

Can i be a robot? Like one who was somewhat like Edison, a true, somewhat human-like intelligence (not as smart as Edison, way less computing power), but instead of going against humans decided with his free will that he wants to help humans against this genocide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back