• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy Nocturne Manor (Interest Check) (OPEN -- Searching For Worldbuilders/GMs!)

Illusions can be a part of mind-control, I suppose.
That seems possible, but illusions are still not the first thing I'd associate with bloodsuckers.

Anyways, what restrictions should there be, if any, on the supernatural types and magical abilities people can pick?

That seems possible, but illusions are still not the first thing I'd associate with bloodsuckers.

Anyways, what restrictions should there be, if any, on the supernatural types and magical abilities people can pick?
Okay, so I posted this at one in the morning, and didn't have my thoughts in order.

But I was thinking about supernatural creatures that might not work if we're going down the monster girl anime path. There are things like ghosts, for example, which are defined by the fact that they're disembodied souls and would take one hell of a stretch to be turned into biological organisms.

Or elves, which are almost negligibly different from normal humans and wouldn't have to deal with the same problems as, say, someone who became a centaur would. It might be interesting to see how the other characters handle having a classmate who got off easy like that, but I don't want everyone making characters like that.

Are illusions a vampire thing? I usually think of vampires as having either corporeal abilities or direct mind-control.
I mean Illusions aren't really I was just having a brain fart on some associated magics so I went oooh illusions are subtle and vampires like subtle magic so Illusions and vampires.

Looks like the world is on it's way to being built! Sorry for dropping off the face of the earth for the last week. Short version of my reasoning would be my only two coworkers got sick, had to get covid tests done and left me and the boss to do everything until they can come back. I should have more time for other things this week, though! ... I hope... X/

Have you thought about one where different humans and creatures are locked away in a castle with only some of their memories and then they have to try and solve their way out?

I'm gonna puke some species abilities out.

Feel free to claim the ones you like, or whatever. This is gonna be sciencey:

Vampires: A virus that prevents them from producing their own blood-cells.
-"drinks" blood to absorb it.
-They can keep the red cells alive for quite a long time.
-Many drink coconut milk as a replacement, but they're unhealthy as hell.
Possible abilities:
-Hypnotize: Vampire eyes are specifically designed to mesmerize and calm their victims down. It sends the brain into dopamine overload and makes people loopy for a time.
-Fangs retract like Japanese Water Deer's do (hole in the skull).
-Massive bat-like wings grow several years after being bitten.
-Enhanced senses.
-Reaction time is bumped up, but their circadian rhythm is much shorter.
-No cell deconstruction over time; indefinite lifespan.
-Reinforced bones.
-Muscle density is just... insane.
Weaknesses:
-Photosensitive: puss-filled boils pop up in the spot sunlight hits, similar to a poison hemlock rash.
-Requires fresh blood every few months.
-Sensory overloads are common.
-Very noticeably pale, almost blue at times.
Other:
-Resistant to illusions.
-Hindbrain functions less.

Weres: A saliva-carried virus that leaves the DNA of different animals in amongst the human.
-A chemical released every month and under high-stress situations forces them to rapidly destroy and reconstruct their bodies (painful).
-Keeps animal instincts, but human-functioning brain.
-Abilities of whatever species they inherited.
Weaknesses:
-Species specific; they inherit the allergies or such of whatever animal they are.
-Animals either hate them, fear them, or want to associate with them, depending on the species.
Other abilities:
-They appear "boring" to normal humans, almost annoyingly so. They're very rarely noticed.

I'm gonna puke some species abilities out.

Feel free to claim the ones you like, or whatever. This is gonna be sciencey:

Vampires: A virus that prevents them from producing their own blood-cells.
-"drinks" blood to absorb it.
-They can keep the red cells alive for quite a long time.
-Many drink coconut milk as a replacement, but they're unhealthy as hell.
Possible abilities:
-Hypnotize: Vampire eyes are specifically designed to mesmerize and calm their victims down. It sends the brain into dopamine overload and makes people loopy for a time.
-Fangs retract like Japanese Water Deer's do (hole in the skull).
-Massive bat-like wings grow several years after being bitten.
-Enhanced senses.
-Reaction time is bumped up, but their circadian rhythm is much shorter.
-No cell deconstruction over time; indefinite lifespan.
-Reinforced bones.
-Muscle density is just... insane.
Weaknesses:
-Photosensitive: puss-filled boils pop up in the spot sunlight hits, similar to a poison hemlock rash.
-Requires fresh blood every few months.
-Sensory overloads are common.
-Very noticeably pale, almost blue at times.
Other:
-Resistant to illusions.
-Hindbrain functions less.
I was thinking that monster-ness would be hereditary by default, with the transformed characters as an exception. And there'd be human mages who serve or do favors for the supernatural beings in exchange for their magical secrets, which might be where the idea that they could "turn" people came from in-universe. But I just like sticking to patterns, so if everyone wants vampires to actually do that, I can deal.

Anyways, my take on vampires was that they'd evolved to better hunt normal humans for their blood after developing a taste (and dietary requirement) for it.

They're nocturnal, with enhanced night vision and hearing to better navigate in the dark, but are also totally blinded in direct sunlight because of that, and completely lack melanin to produce as much vitamin D as possible from minimal sunlight at the cost of sunburning faster than Irish people. They're also ambush predators, so they can metabolize quickly for bursts of superhuman strength and speed, but need lots of rest between hunts. And yes, they do have blood, but it's probably different from that of most mammals for reasons I haven't come up with yet.

So, basically, vampires would be cats but worse at it because not even dark magic can make humans evolve the right way.

Weres: A saliva-carried virus that leaves the DNA of different animals in amongst the human.
-A chemical released every month and under high-stress situations forces them to rapidly destroy and reconstruct their bodies (painful).
-Keeps animal instincts, but human-functioning brain.
-Abilities of whatever species they inherited.
Weaknesses:
-Species specific; they inherit the allergies or such of whatever animal they are.
-Animals either hate them, fear them, or want to associate with them, depending on the species.
Other abilities:
-They appear "boring" to normal humans, almost annoyingly so. They're very rarely noticed.
I didn't really have as much for werebeasts as for vamps. But I did think of them as being in hybrid form by default, which varies between different subtypes from "slightly more beastly than a catgirl" to "Beastars anthro", probably tied to how isolated they were from human civilization.

Taking on human form would be part of their magic specialty somehow, (Either because all werebeasts descend from one bloodline that learned that practice before branching off, or they all developled it separately and "werebeast" is a purely academic classification) so any newly-transformed were-students wouldn't be able to hide their animal traits right away.

I was thinking that monster-ness would be hereditary by default, with the transformed characters as an exception. And there'd be human mages who serve or do favors for the supernatural beings in exchange for their magical secrets, which might be where the idea that they could "turn" people came from in-universe. But I just like sticking to patterns, so if everyone wants vampires to actually do that, I can deal.

Anyways, my take on vampires was that they'd evolved to better hunt normal humans for their blood after developing a taste (and dietary requirement) for it.

They're nocturnal, with enhanced night vision and hearing to better navigate in the dark, but are also totally blinded in direct sunlight because of that, and completely lack melanin to produce as much vitamin D as possible from minimal sunlight at the cost of sunburning faster than Irish people. They're also ambush predators, so they can metabolize quickly for bursts of superhuman strength and speed, but need lots of rest between hunts. And yes, they do have blood, but it's probably different from that of most mammals for reasons I haven't come up with yet.

So, basically, vampires would be cats but worse at it because not even dark magic can make humans evolve the right way.

I didn't really have as much for werebeasts as for vamps. But I did think of them as being in hybrid form by default, which varies between different subtypes from "slightly more beastly than a catgirl" to "Beastars anthro", probably tied to how isolated they were from human civilization.

Taking on human form would be part of their magic specialty somehow, (Either because all werebeasts descend from one bloodline that learned that practice before branching off, or they all developled it separately and "werebeast" is a purely academic classification) so any newly-transformed were-students wouldn't be able to hide their animal traits right away.

Ooooh! These are really cool interpretations! I was leaning toward traditional because I wasn't sure what people wanted, so I was just spitting out ideas to see if anything stuck

At some point, we should have all of the agreed lore organized into something easier to follow that a conversation. Perhaps we should make an official lore page in addition to this discussion?

Fey:
The fair folk tend to inhabit a parallel but near dimesnion which is a reflection of earth if humans/ civilisation never developed. Fairy circles and roads represent places that his parallel dimension draws close enough that one could breach the veil.
Typically split between two broad factions, the Seelie (Death before dishonour, Love conquers all, Beauty is life, Never forget a dubt) and the unseelie (Change is good, glamour is free, Honour is a lie, passion before duty.

Possible Abilities:
Illusion magyks
Shapechanging abilities

Weaknesses:
The manufacturing method of Iron makes pure iron toxic to them, contact acts much like an acid on there skin.
The fair folk find it nearly impossible to lie, they can obfuscate and talk around a problem but telling an untruth is nearly impossible for them.

Sub Types:
Sylph: These fair folk closesly resemble humans but have the addition of 4 large dragon fly wings on their back allowing for high maneuverablity flight (Think pix from carnival row).
To achieve flight however their bones are closer, in structure, to bird bones than human bones to improve oxygen intake during high speed flight. They also use a Berylium as a base to reduce the weight.

Faun: Bearing hooves and more equine legs these fey tend towards faster ground speeds than humans are capable of combined with a higher muscle density.

Dryad: Trading the traditional magyks of the fey for a much closer connection to nature these fey find illusion much more difficult but gain the ability to commune with plants and accelerate their growth. They also can join with trees to offer camoflage.

Selkie: Seal people that may remove their seal skin to become humanoid however without the skin they loose a lot of the fey magyk that they can perform.

Aos si: Supernaturally beutiful they grow bone masks to cover their faces, it is said that to gaze upon one unmasked is to view terror itself and the greatest shame for one of the Aos Si. These beings belong much more to magic than their more earthly cousins and so can act as a catalyst for anothers will allowing them to cast very great magyk but usually at an even greater cost

Last edited:
Fey:
The fair folk tend to inhabit a parallel but near dimesnion which is a reflection of earth if humans/ civilisation never developed. Fairy circles and roads represent places that his parallel dimension draws close enough that one could breach the veil.
Typically split between two broad factions, the Seelie (Death before dishonour, Love conquers all, Beauty is life, Never forget a dubt) and the unseelie (Change is good, glamour is free, Honour is a lie, passion before duty.

Possible Abilities:
Illusion magyks
Shapechanging abilities

Weaknesses:
The manufacturing method of Iron makes pure iron toxic to them, contact acts much like an acid on there skin.
The fair folk find it nearly impossible to lie, they can obfuscate and talk around a problem but telling an untruth is nearly impossible for them.

Sub Types:
Sylph: These fair folk closesly resemble humans but have the addition of 4 large dragon fly wings on their back allowing for high maneuverablity flight (Think pix from carnival row).
To achieve flight however their bones are closer to bird bones than human bones to reduce weight.

Faun: Bearing hooves and more equine legs these fey tend towards faster ground speeds than humans are capable of combined with a higher muscle density.

Dryad: Trading the traditional magyks of the fey for a much closer connection to nature these fey find illusion much more difficult but gain the ability to commune with plants and accelerate their growth. They also can join with trees to offer camoflage.

Selkie: Seal people that may remove their seal skin to become humanoid however without the skin they loose a lot of the fey magyk that they can perform.

Aos si: Supernaturally beutiful they grow bone masks to cover their faces, it is said that to gaze upon one unmasked is to view terror itself and the greatest shame for one of the Aos Si. These beings belong much more to magic than their more earthly cousins and so can act as a catalyst for anothers will allowing them to cast very great magyk but usually at an even greater cost

Quick nitpick;

Hollowed bones are for oxygen, and they are not, in fact, lighter. They're also fairly strong on account of their structure. You'd be changing the bone-density, instead.

You'd also do good to reduce the amount of liquid required because water weight makes up a large portion of our weight.

Also, we need a magic-system.

Quick nitpick;

Hollowed bones are for oxygen, and they are not, in fact, lighter. They're also fairly strong on account of their structure. You'd be changing the bone-density, instead.

You'd also do good to reduce the amount of liquid required because water weight makes up a large portion of our weight.

Also, we need a magic-system.
Fair enough about bird bones I never new that. And yes we do need a magic system or at least limits

Ooooh! These are really cool interpretations! I was leaning toward traditional because I wasn't sure what people wanted, so I was just spitting out ideas to see if anything stuck
Thanks. I thought yours were interesting, too.
At some point, we should have all of the agreed lore organized into something easier to follow that a conversation. Perhaps we should make an official lore page in addition to this discussion?
Yeah, we should probably start organizing the worldbuilding and settling on which ideas to keep.

Okay—

Genetics-based magic system?

Incantation-based magic-system?

Material/alchemy-like magic-system?

Or

my specialty;

Pseudoscience-based magic system?

So...

Semisoft, soft-hard, semihard, or hard magic system?

Please lol I'm tryna keep up but I'm so behind lol

Lmao, nothing's really set in stone, yet (I'll make a master-post when they are), so you don't... really have to read stuff, yet.

Should I make a discord server? 'cause this spam-prevention's a tad annoying

Users who are viewing this thread

Back