• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy Nocturne Manor (Interest Check) (OPEN -- Searching For Worldbuilders/GMs!)

Ocean123

One Thousand Club
So, this will seem a bit jumbled but for now, I just want the general idea down. I'm also open to suggestions anyone may have.

To start off, it's another one of those things where you have magic beings and supernatural creatures just kind of coming to live together. There are a few basic points I'm debating and might as well ask the public's opinion on.

Setting Options
-School/Academy (Added complication of forming classes and hiring teachers)
-Safehouse (A large manor or castle, possibly with roommates)
-Village/Town (Specifically for supernatural beings to live in peace)
-Travelling (On the run or otherwise)

Situation Options
-Supernatural beings have existed without human knowledge (Until something changes?)
-Magic has been lost for centuries but has recently made a comeback for reasons unknown
-Sudden changes have seen ordinary humans suddenly become the stuff of old legends and fairy tales
-A world that had never lost the knowledge of magic and things that go bump in the night

Those are all I can think of at the moment but I'm definitely open to suggestions!

This looks great! I like the second to last situation option, probably with the school or safehouse options for the setting. And maybe there are people who have been magical creatures all along, and some look down on the humans who have changed to resemble them?

I think I'd like to pitch in.
Now that I have a second to write out my thoughts, I'm partial to school settings, but it depends heavily on the execution. The second and third ideas are also pretty dependent on the specifics, and the last one only works with very small groups.

As for the supernatural status, I think the third option sounds interesting and the fourth is a solid choice.

This looks great! I like the second to last situation option, probably with the school or safehouse options for the setting. And maybe there are people who have been magical creatures all along, and some look down on the humans who have changed to resemble them?
Now that I have a second to write out my thoughts, I'm partial to school settings, but it depends heavily on the execution. The second and third ideas are also pretty dependent on the specifics, and the last one only works with very small groups.

As for the supernatural status, I think the third option sounds interesting and the fourth is a solid choice.
Okay! Glad this got some interest! It sounds like we're leaning towards either a school or safehouse in a world where previously ordinary humans have changed into beings of myth, right? As for truly ancient mythical beings looking down on them... That could add a fair level of opposition to make the story more interesting. Anything else that either of you really want to see in the plot?

Okay! Glad this got some interest! It sounds like we're leaning towards either a school or safehouse in a world where previously ordinary humans have changed into beings of myth, right? As for truly ancient mythical beings looking down on them... That could add a fair level of opposition to make the story more interesting. Anything else that either of you really want to see in the plot?
Hmmm... I'd like to get some lore down on the base natures of the mythical creatures in the setting. Like, what abilities they have in comparison to humans, their relationship to magic, (if it exists) and stuff like that.

Hmmm... I'd like to get some lore down on the base natures of the mythical creatures in the setting. Like, what abilities they have in comparison to humans, their relationship to magic, (if it exists) and stuff like that.
I didn't exactly have any set plans on that, since I was hoping to have a small "team" of world builders and everyone could have a say. Assuming we're still using the same situation, I would guess that a lot of them would still appear humanoid, with various abilities. At least, at first. Perhaps their appearance changes as they grow more powerful and it becomes clearer exactly what type of creature they have become.

I'm not really sure but that's one idea. Thoughts?

I didn't exactly have any set plans on that, since I was hoping to have a small "team" of world builders and everyone could have a say. Assuming we're still using the same situation, I would guess that a lot of them would still appear humanoid, with various abilities. At least, at first. Perhaps their appearance changes as they grow more powerful and it becomes clearer exactly what type of creature they have become.

I'm not really sure but that's one idea. Thoughts?
Hmm, that is certainly one idea. I can see that leaning towards a supernatural fantasy feel. So vampires, werewolves, monsters with lots of unnatural power at their disposal, and the characters might have to deal with getting roped into the existing power structures of supernatural society.

Another idea might be modern high fantasy, (like Shadowrun without the cyberpunk) where the characters become standard fantasy races like elves and orcs. Might come with magic, and some modern-day fantasy adventuring.

And this one's cheesy, but there's the "monster girl anime" route, where the characters underwent drastic, primarily biological changes that they have to adapt to. It'd probably be more lighthearted, with little to no magic.

I for one like the idea of magic, as well as vampires and werewolves. Perhaps mythical creatures from any theme can exist in this universe?

I think maybe a good idea would be the "monster girl anime route" but maybe with magic being a skill the paranormal characters can learn?

'Cause to be frank I can see my idea of the original mythical creatures looking down on the new ones being especially befitting of a setting where magic is able to be used by them. Maybe that's why there's such tension: Some "elder" creatures are sneering over the fact that the new ones can't yet use magic and are maybe gatekeeping it, then the school/safehouse is formed to teach the new ones magic (And the ins and out of their new form) and protect them from the bigoted elder creatures.

I think maybe a good idea would be the "monster girl anime route" but maybe with magic being a skill the paranormal characters can learn?

'Cause to be frank I can see my idea of the original mythical creatures looking down on the new ones being especially befitting of a setting where magic is able to be used by them. Maybe that's why there's such tension: Some "elder" creatures are sneering over the fact that the new ones can't yet use magic and are maybe gatekeeping it, then the school/safehouse is formed to teach the new ones magic (And the ins and out of their new form) and protect them from the bigoted elder creatures.
I like the sound of this. The different supernatural types could have formed "clans" centered around different magical practices that contributed to the myths about their abilities, and see the newly-turned students as a threat to their exclusive hold over those magics.

Now about the clans and/or group mentality. I have a question related to the romance tag will there be racist elder and/or leader types that would prevent interspecies relationships?

A lot's gone on since I gave up on my internet connection last night... XD

As for the romance-related racism... There probably would be some that will be like that, yes. Not necessarily all elder or leader types will hold those strict values but some certainly would.

Now about the clans and/or group mentality. I have a question related to the romance tag will there be racist elder and/or leader types that would prevent interspecies relationships?
A lot's gone on since I gave up on my internet connection last night... XD

As for the romance-related racism... There probably would be some that will be like that, yes. Not necessarily all elder or leader types will hold those strict values but some certainly would.
I can see some of the supernaturals having very traditionalist views on marriage, treating it as a tool for political gain and stuff like that instead of an act of love.

I like the idea of Supernatural creatures always being there, But the majority of humanity is unaware, due to select bloodlines and mages keeping "The Veil" to not only protect their non-human fellows, but to also keep humanity as a whole from starting a war of extermination/witch hunt. Keep it in modern times, so we can see werewolves enjoying late's and vampires working at blood banks, Dryads in pharmaceuticals, etc.

This looks super interesting. On the subject of more traditional beings gatekeeping you could also get more conflict due to this new school/ myths learning any magic they can treading on the toes of existing clans superiority. Say werewolves learning illusions (Traditionally vampiric magic) or Vampires learning skin walking, that sort of thing?

Looking for worldbuilders, huh? I can help with that, if you need. Though, I'm not too good at settling continents and world-powers in, I'm decent at forming hard-to-medium magic-systems, and justifying weird shit with some theoretical science.

Looking for worldbuilders, huh? I can help with that, if you need. Though, I'm not too good at settling continents and world-powers in, I'm decent at forming hard-to-medium magic-systems, and justifying weird shit with some theoretical science.
Theoretical Scientific mumbo jumbo is best science

So long as i can follow along easily like allomancy then we're cool
Yeah, most people shouldn't have to pay too much attention to the science jargon, unless you're like me, and like to fiddle with the very edges of a magic-system's domain ^^

Also, I fucking love your sig.

This looks super interesting. On the subject of more traditional beings gatekeeping you could also get more conflict due to this new school/ myths learning any magic they can treading on the toes of existing clans superiority. Say werewolves learning illusions (Traditionally vampiric magic) or Vampires learning skin walking, that sort of thing?
Are illusions a vampire thing? I usually think of vampires as having either corporeal abilities or direct mind-control.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back