Nintendo Switch WAT?!

IG42

Paranoid Android
Roleplay Availability
NX revealed and minds blown

Thoughts people? Fire away!

Last edited by a moderator:
My immediate thought is that this is what the Wii U really should have been.

I was so prepared to be cynical about the reveal but I ended up walking away from this really, really impressed. There are still a lot of details we need; price, general performance, launch titles, accessories, online service. As far as hardware goes though this is pretty much exactly what I was hoping for. It's compact, has a gimmick that actually adds value without being forced, seems flexible in its functions, and looks to have a strong third party showing.

I mean, really, look at this. Atlus, Nippon Ichi Software, Arc System Works. From Software. We live in a timeline where portable Dark Souls may soon be a thing. I'm hoping this trend continues throughout the console's life because right now this is a really, really strong start.

With the general idea behind the console leaked a long time ago three of the titles I'd need to convince myself to purchase it were Smash (port or new, Sm4sh was fantastic), Splatoon (in reveal trailer, happy to see it isn't restricted to Wii U now), and Monster Hunter - this last one is a huge deal for me in that I love the series but 3DS kinda makes my hands cramp after a while. So I was really disappointed that they moved away from console entries after 3U, and this would end up being essentially the same thing since it's blurring the line between portable and home console. Already two out of three, some seriously credible rumblings from Capcom internal that makes it sound as if Monster Hunter on Nintendo Switch is not only happening but happening soon.

Can't wait to learn more. I'll probably be a day one purchaser for this. Really happy with what they've shown.

I love Nintendo.

Call me a fanboy if you want, but I haven't skipped having the newest generation of consoles ever since the N64.

it's like the wiiu got a hit with a stand arrow. ~ Reddit

I'm stealing this.

I'll be back to pester people for online IDs once this thing launches. Right now I'm really far onto the positive side as reactions go. Shame that Iwata can't be around to see this come to fruition as this is pretty much his last farewell.

Nintendo showed up with something worth talking about yet again. Call them what you will, but in my opinion they're still the only console manufacturer that casually wanders away from what is the current 'standard' of the industry.  Microsoft and sony are only doing performance upgrades. Apart from a largely unused touchpad, the PS4 is a Ps3+, for example.  If Nintendo makes sure to make third party development managable and their spec is alright, I can see this thing giving the rest a serious run for their money. 

Nintendo showed up with something worth talking about yet again. Call them what you will, but in my opinion they're still the only console manufacturer that casually wanders away from what is the current 'standard' of the industry.  Microsoft and sony are only doing performance upgrades. Apart from a largely unused touchpad, the PS4 is a Ps3+, for example.  If Nintendo makes sure to make third party development managable and their spec is alright, I can see this thing giving the rest a serious run for their money. 

Which is something I'm rather grateful for. I have a high-end gaming desktop. Outperforms all the consoles and will still play games better than Pro and Scorpio. So to see both Sony and Microsoft start to go down the path of half-upgrades between consoles instead of full hardware customization since they don't want to forfeit simplicity is disappointing. They're trying to be PCs but in their efforts only taking in the negative aspects rather than any of the positives. Not to mention I have no reason to not sink that money into a new GPU anyway.

I'm happy Nintendo has the nerve to try and go down a new path with their consoles regardless of if they succeed or fail at the end of its lifespan simply because I feel the others are trying to fight a battle they just can't win and the consumers are worse off for it.

Which is something I'm rather grateful for. I have a high-end gaming desktop. Outperforms all the consoles and will still play games better than Pro and Scorpio. So to see both Sony and Microsoft start to go down the path of half-upgrades between consoles instead of full hardware customization since they don't want to forfeit simplicity is disappointing. They're trying to be PCs but in their efforts only taking in the negative aspects rather than any of the positives. Not to mention I have no reason to not sink that money into a new GPU anyway.

I'm happy Nintendo has the nerve to try and go down a new path with their consoles regardless of if they succeed or fail at the end of its lifespan simply because I feel the others are trying to fight a battle they just can't win and the consumers are worse off for it.

Of course consumers are worse for it, since developers now make lazy console ports, instead of developping FOR a PC. 

Hoping I'm less hesitant to buy this than I was for the Wii U. Nothing really appealed to me except for Smash.

I'm so excited for this! I'm hoping for a new xenoblade game and Pokemon Colosseum game personally. Oooh and Breath of the Wild will be fun too! 

Although, it sucks the wii u's library is so terrible. -_-  

I really want to get a 3DS XL, the galaxy one, but now this just happens to come out when I'm thinking about it and now I have INTERNAL CONFLICT. 

I really like being able to flip open and close DS's though, and this sounds like it's going away from what DS's are, so I will probably get it anyways. (Also I am inpatient)

haven't really been a fan of consoles, but I may have to get this, it looks pretty dope

Estimated launch price is 500 to 600 dollars. I want it, too. I love my Wii U and this looks like an even better version of it. But until I can afford it, at least I'll have Breath of the Wild on Wii U. 

Estimated launch price is 500 to 600 dollars. I want it, too. I love my Wii U and this looks like an even better version of it. But until I can afford it, at least I'll have Breath of the Wild on Wii U. 

A listing on a Canadian website put the price at about £200 (I'm English go convert the currency if you must) for the base console though the figure is unconfirmed and the listing has been taken down.

If it's accurate then it's only 20 or 30 quid more than my new 3ds xl when I bought it which is pretty crazy.

Sauce btw: http://m.uk.ign.com/articles/2016/11/14/nintendo-switch-price-may-have-been-accidentally-revealed

248 seems a bit cheap to me. My Wii U used cost more than that. I WISH it would be only that much. I converted from pounds and that's what it gave me. 

248 seems a bit cheap to me. My Wii U used cost more than that. I WISH it would be only that much. I converted from pounds and that's what it gave me. 

from what I've read, there is speculation of it costing between $250(Wii) and $300(Wii U), or it will be approximately $400. Most likely it'll be the latter, but then again it's still way cheaper than most consoles

Everything I've seen seems to point at it being $300, granted its to be taken with a grain of salt at this point in the game. I do think that's the magic number considering their competition so hopefully they can nail it but I'm willing to go as high as $400.

Have the money set aside, just waiting on my chance to preorder now.

If I can't play dark souls or armored core on it I wouldn't be interested, but FROM Software is interested it looks like so yeah it's nito

too bad I'm poor as fuck

The reason I didn't want to touch the Wii/Wii U was the controller design and forced gimmick. Holding that stick of a controller sideways and only having one directional pad and two buttons felt very uncomfortable and awkward to me.

This doesn't look too bad. The control scheme appears similar to the 3DS, which I'm sort of okay with. If I could get that controller resembling a simplified Xbox360/One controller (2:47), I'd be less hesitant in buying this. I'm not sure if that's something the "controller" can turn into without buying additional accessories or if it's just something that will be sold separately.

@Sibylline Oracle from what I've gathered, the two mini controllers combine into a pseudo Xbox/PlayStation controller (via an included adapter/holder), or you can purchase additional Xbox/PlayStation style controllers separately.

Its probally known by now, but apparently  they plan to relezse more Switch details on January next year. I am so axious to see it.

Its probally known by now, but apparently  they plan to relezse more Switch details on January next year. I am so axious to see it.

Yup. January 12th. That said, there's some info leaking out.

Current viable rumors as of now - personally inclined to believe them as opposed to a lot of the more absurd ones that sift out of the internet with no real sources or backing:

- Two SKUs for the US: One for $250, another for $300 with more memory and Splatoon as a pack-in.

- New 3D Mario is launch day. Closer to 64 and Galaxy in that it has a hub world with multiple objectives in a level as opposed to 3D Land/World style where it's a stage select where you really only aim to reach the goal.

- Skyrim Remastered is launch day.

- Zelda is not launch day.

The fourth point sucks but the other three are great if true.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back