• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Nine Billion Names

Main
Here
Characters
Here
Other
Here
Let's hear some character concepts, friends. Who will carry the scroll? What Demons and misfits will undertake this epic journey?

My character would be a bird like demon from the fifth circle that's a count. I've settled on the name Garutik but I don't know enough about the noble naming conventions to give him a title worthy of his circle and station. Garutik looking to use the fame granted from completing this quest to 'marry up'. He wants to become a consort to a princess of the fifth circle.

My character would be a bird like demon from the fifth circle that's a count. I've settled on the name Garutik but I don't know enough about the noble naming conventions to give him a title worthy of his circle and station. Garutik looking to use the fame granted from completing this quest to 'marry up'. He wants to become a consort to a princess of the fifth circle.

Alright, good start. Maybe as part of the challenge, the princess has made him relinquish his demense until he comes back from the journey. I'm already picturing him as resembling a peacock or tropical bird of some kind.
Naming is up to you - any culture in all of time is fair game. As for titles, counts normally have one structured as Count of the [Domain Name], and then maybe two more relating to deeds or something about their appearance and methods.
I might not be able to get the full chargen stuff up before I finish work today, but as soon as I'm done with this shift I'll post a character thread with the creation details.

That's a lot to absorb so do ask questions if you need to.

Beaten Dog, a former Brute warped into something else by a millennium and a half bound in service to a wizard-turned-lich in the mortal world. Exposure to a wide array of magics and endless restrictions on his conduct have made her far more subtle and mercurial, both in body and mind, than most Brutes. Having been freed from their service by the final death of his summoner, it has two goals: one, to train themselves such that whatever power others might hold over its body, they never have power over her, and two, to share with others the lessons of resilience, liberation, and the nature of power that he believes can only be taught by slavery.

Technically never lies, but capable of on-demand repression and denial; somewhat less capable of undoing said repression and denial. Typically manifests as a scarred, starved human in manacles with an iron mask bolted to her face. It accompanies the monk because to name something is to entrap it, and in entrapping God, perhaps all the cosmos can understand the true meaning of freedom.

Reposting this directly from the initial thread.

I'm having a hard time sorting the points for skills and attributes. how much XP is worth one skill or attribute point and how can I distribute them?

I'm having a hard time sorting the points for skills and attributes. how much XP is worth one skill or attribute point and how can I distribute them?

That's fair.
So all Attributes start at 1 for free, except for you, Bearing and Fitness.
Raising an Attribute to 2 is 3XP, to 3 is 6XP, to 4 is 9XP, 5 is 12XP
So if you wanted to raise, say, Intellect right to 5, it would cost 3+6+9+12=30XP
As a Devourer, your character's Bearing and Fitness start at 2.
Raising either of this to to 3 is 3XP, to 4 is 6XP, to 5 is 9XP, 6 is 12XP.
So if you wanted to max out Fitness to 6, it would be 3+6+9+12=30XP
Since you have 72XP for Attributes, maxing out two Attributes would leave you with 12XP, so spread 'em out a bit more.

All Skills start at 0. You have 60 XP to spend on them.
Non-Circle Skills cost 2XP for rank 1, 1XP for 2, 2XP for 3, 3XP for 4, 6XP for 5, and 9XP for 6.
So you can basically set a Skill to 3 for 5XP, which I find helps.
Your Circle Skills cost 1XP/0XP/1XP/2XP/3XP/6XP, so it only costs 2XP to raise it to 3.

If you want, you can tell me what you want your character to be good at, and I can put their sheet together for you.

Could I get a quick clarification on what sort of thing the Familiarity, Knowledge, and Training should be, and what their effect is beyond the bonus received based on circle?

Could I get a quick clarification on what sort of thing the Familiarity, Knowledge, and Training should be, and what their effect is beyond the bonus received based on circle?

Yup.
Familiarity reflects the social context in which your character is most comfortable and adroit.
You pick three Social Skills to receive a bonus when deployed in that context - for example, maybe Beaten Dog is excellent at ingratiating themselves with the enslaved and the freed.

Knowledge represents the particular area of expertise your character has studied or adopted in their existence.
Pick three Mental Skills to receive a bonus when used in relation to their expertise - maybe they know a lot about mortal magic or culture.

Training represents their formal martial training, or their long-practiced techniques.
Pick three Physical Skills to receive a bonus when used in the right situation, or with the right weapons or fighting style.
If your character is going to have a Martial Art, that serves as their Training and they get the techniques of that art instead of the bonus. I can work with you to devise one if you like, but I have a feeling that you can grasp how one might function based on the examples.

Also how smart would a Int 2 character be?

Average human intelligence.

Guratik has a 6 in unarmed so he would be a master martial artist of atleast one style.Could help me come up with one?

Absolutely. So it'll be an unarmed style - do you picture him grappling or striking? Finesse or power? Offensive or defensive? What kind of martial philosophy do you think he'd follow?
Check out the example in the example characters to get an idea of what I mean my martial philosophy. Dress it up.

Absolutely. So it'll be an unarmed style - do you picture him grappling or striking? Finesse or power? Offensive or defensive? What kind of martial philosophy do you think he'd follow?

A striking based martial art that focuses more on quick finesse over power. It's definitely offensive and focuses on spilling your opponents guts before they can get a strike in. It's quick near constant footwork make the user harder to hit it. It's like if samba dancing was combined with a deadly claw based martial arts. One based on energy, flashiness, and ,style. Keeping up to a beat you've go going in your head. Letting you passion be ever present in your fighting.

I like that. Let me ruminate on it for a day or so, and consult with a capoeirista I know.

Zeth Zeth are you still in?

Thanks for checking on me and yes - I am. Rest assured, I won't bail out without notifying you guys first.
I am currently reading the assorted tales you provided in the main thread. The tales, combined with google docs char. examples is of great help in character creation. 👍

How much time do we have before you start with the IC thread?

Thanks for checking on me and yes - I am. Rest assured, I won't bail out without notifying you guys first. Currently reading the assorted tales you provided in the main thread. The tales, combined with google docs char. examples is of great help in character creation. 👍

How much time do we have before you start with the IC thread?

No deadline; we're ready when we're ready.

Attributes and skills are done; if you wanna check them for accuracy, feel free. Keeping off on writing backstory until other people have, since I can be the Monk if necessary but it's not the core of BD's backstory.

Do you have something that explains how the stats in the secondary stats are calculated?

Defence
Defence: Dexterity + Defence
Parry: Defence + Parry Focus, etc
Evade: Defence + Evade Focus, etc
Block: Defence + Shield Focus, etc

Offence
Melee: Dexterity + Melee
Ranged: Intuition + Ranged
Unarmed: Dexterity + Unarmed

Speed: Fitness + Athletics
Initiative: Speed + Composure
Combat Pool: Speed + Dexterity
Physical Soak: The lower of Fitness or Strength
Magic Resistance: = Willpower + any special traits
Health: 10 Condition: 20

Alright, two characters down and I'll review them after work.
One more to come, and I'll see if I can snag at least one more player.
Three is fine, but five would be great.

Hey Grey Grey !
I am unfamiliar with Crucible and inexperienced with dice games in general, so I got few questions that i'd like to run by you before proceeding with my character idea:

1. This game will be played on RPN, right? I just want to be in the clear here.
2. Are Blasphemies Circle-agnostic or does my character need to fulfill a particular criteria to have some Blasphemies from, lets say 4th and 6th Circle?
3. Are 4 Blasphemies maximum or will we get more as our characters become more experienced and powerful?
4. How is Weapon Damage calculated?
5. Ebon's Count has 10 Essence and 2 Resonance. Considering that Essence is x5 Resonance, that means that in using his Consumption he recovers two dies? I just want to see if I understood this Demon Essence system.
They recover Essence at a rate of their Resonance per ten minutes, ...
So, that would mean that in Count of Passaro's example, if he runs on empty it would take him fifty minutes of praying at a Shrine to recover full Essence?

Thank you for your patience. I love having my grasp on a game before finishing the character and you provided a lot of material. So much so that I am almost overwhelmed!

1. Yep, we're playing on RPN.
2. Blasphemies are Circle-specific; if you want to combine them from across Circles, tell me what result you're looking for exactly and we'll work something out.
3. You just get the 4 Blasphemies, but you can augment them with Expressions and they grow in power with your Resonance.
4. Weapon damage is a flat value per weapon, + Strength (or other applicable Attributes), + successes rolled on the attack.
5. Correct - 10 Essence for up to 2 dice, but he could always spend 5 and keep the rest for other powers.
6. Essence is recovered at that rate automatically; you can recover it in half the time by harvesting a shrine or tapping some other source.

Questions are good and I know it's a lot to absorb, so don't worry at all about asking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back