• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Nine Billion Names

Means basically the minimum number to get going.

What is the extent of their duty and what exactly does the scroll do? Like, are these monks good guys or bad guys?

Bring the scroll to Pandemonium, undamaged and unread. That's all.
As for good or bad, banish such ideas from your mind - it's all a matter of perspective. We can devise a philosophy of nonviolence and redemption, or a creed of apocalypse and destruction. It depends on the kind of character you want to play.

Means basically the minimum number to get going.

Bring the scroll to Pandemonium, undamaged and unread. That's all.
As for good or bad, banish such ideas from your mind - it's all a matter of perspective. We can devise a philosophy of nonviolence and redemption, or a creed of apocalypse and destruction. It depends on the kind of character you want to play.
Ohoho~ I can have plenty of fun twisting a philosophy or creed to make such a thing happen. And intend to base a lot on perspective.

Was asking the simple question to get a good idea where they stand so I can fathom up some ideas. As well as to get a better understanding of who these monks are, what they are doing, and what they do and why they do it.

Also, I got to ask. What happens if I read it?

As well as to get a better understanding of who these monks are, what they are doing, and what they do and why they do it.

The monks who made the scroll did it for esoteric purposes, such as believing the purpose of the universe is to make the scroll.
The order your monk might come from could be anything - examples from past attempts include a former human knight with SUPER-LYCANTHOPY who adopted pacifism and could not be killed that anyone could tell, so he was perfect to carry the scroll. Another was from an order based on the contemplation of the moment that things end.

What happens if I read it?

nani.jpg

The monks who made the scroll did it for esoteric purposes, such as believing the purpose of the universe is to make the scroll.
The order your monk might come from could be anything - examples from past attempts include a former human knight with SUPER-LYCANTHOPY who adopted pacifism and could not be killed that anyone could tell, so he was perfect to carry the scroll. Another was from an order based on the contemplation of the moment that things end.

View attachment 672780
Hold up. I know you said vampires. But I didnt know you be a werewolf. That changes everything!

Also, that picture just makes me want to read it even more...

Hmmm. When you spoke of orders of monks, were you refering to the circles?

Nope, monastic orders might be more strongly associated with a particular circle, but generally they're just based on some weird philosophy to have developed in Hell.

I expect we can work together to design one based on what kind of character you want to play. I may even design a martial art to go along with it.

Nope, monastic orders might be more strongly associated with a particular circle, but generally they're just based on some weird philosophy to have developed in Hell.

I expect we can work together to design one based on what kind of character you want to play. I may even design a martial art to go along with it.
Sounds pretty sweet to me.

And I think I could definitely use some help in that regard, if are interested in working together. However I do not have a type of character in mind yet other than "monk who is to carry the scroll".

Let me throw some ideas at you, then.
- Lost vampire trying to overcome their nature through monastic vows
- Mortal with a weird esoteric curse (superlycanthropy, a malevolent shadow, a plural consciousness split across different timelines)
- A Demon seeking to reject the essential sin of their nature
- A priest who is convinced this is all a vision to test them and they will one day wake up in their bed with their faith intact

Let me throw some ideas at you, then.
- Lost vampire trying to overcome their nature through monastic vows
- Mortal with a weird esoteric curse (superlycanthropy, a malevolent shadow, a plural consciousness split across different timelines)
- A Demon seeking to reject the essential sin of their nature
- A priest who is convinced this is all a vision to test them and they will one day wake up in their bed with their faith intact
Methinks, that a demon seeing to reject their nature could make for a fun sort of redemption story.

Such as, perhaps, after a certain event in the mortal world, he witnessed something that caused him to experience such catharsis that set him on such a new path.

Could be. One of the example characters is a Drowner who chose to reject their nature and instead be compassionate, nonviolent, and honest.

Could be. One of the example characters is a Drowner who chose to reject their nature and instead be compassionate, nonviolent, and honest.
I did have my eye on the drowners. I do like some water demons. The devourers look fun too.

But I was actually thinking about foong further even than that. Rejecting not just the nature of his circle, but his nature as a demon itself. To become truly free of the cycle and leave hell. Or to become a true mortal in the mortal world, and accept the judgement of the Creator upon death and experience that finality. Even if it means giving up everything he has, and all the power he has accrued as a demon.

Depends on the Demon, really.
Some are created by the dreams of sleeping Demon lords, some pull themselves together from piles of scrap, some have just always been.
I do like the "building oneself from scrap" sort of option. Though the have always been option has some interesting implications.

So a demon could essentially struggle themselves into being through some method, and essentially grow stronger into something much more substantial?

Also, can mortals be turned into demons?

Most Demons start out as little things that become stronger, more complex beings, yeah.

Also, can mortals be turned into demons?

No one in Hell can agree on this. No one seems able to prove it either way.
Demons who claim or are claimed to have been mortal are found to have always been in Hell, and cannot ever name or point to a human in mortal histories they could have been.
And yet some Demons seem to have mannerisms and knowledge that seem unusually mortal...

Most Demons start out as little things that become stronger, more complex beings, yeah.

No one in Hell can agree on this. No one seems able to prove it either way.
Demons who claim or are claimed to have been mortal are found to have always been in Hell, and cannot ever name or point to a human in mortal histories they could have been.
And yet some Demons seem to have mannerisms and knowledge that seem unusually mortal...
Would combing both of those tidbits be a feasible option, should I choose to take that route?

Not in Hell. Normal werewolves don't even show up here - it's some complicated setting metaphysics stuff you don't need to worry about.

What about in the mortal world?

The rule is no dragons.
Otherwise, it might be very different from what you expect but it probably exists or existed.

Also, since Hell is a bit relaxed about time, a character could have wandered in from the modern version of the setting.

I generally assume the Dark Ages version for games in Hell, but characters could easily come from other time periods including the Magocracy of the distant past, or the magic-cyberpunk dystopia of the future.

Hi, heard this game mentioned by a friend and registered just to toss in interest. I'm thinking a demon, from the Circle of Sloth. She's a sort of incarnation of apathetic despair and isolation - a being who represents depression that makes the idea of wanting to do something seem like a cruel joke. Very big on stealth and infiltration, with an edge of social skill. Her fighting style can be summarized as "you never saw it coming." The closest thing she has to a name is "The Shadow You Cast In Brightest Light" but for convenience she usually goes by Shadow.

She joined the convoy because she was fascinated by the...devotion that the monk expresses. To an entity that tends to think of existence as mockery and passion as something that the world grinds down with constant awfulness, that sort of intense and unshaken passion is...hard to process. It's fascinating.

Does that sound viable?

a) Hell yeah, reigniting this game sounds great.
b) Our group's actual monk (me) may not elicit quite the response you're predicting he/she/it/they will. Beaten Dog is... less of a religious zealot and more of a partisan sadomasochist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back