Story Nikkolaüs Butler - Research Log III 01/15/XX

Yakov011001

Archetype of Steel
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
My Interest Check
Published as per the request of the late Nikkolaüs Butler, his research logs are to be published in a format for everyone to see. However, it seems that most of his log data has gone missing. What this means, we do not know. Should anymore than what we currently have be uncovered, it is to be published in posterity. -Vincent Vance

---

It didn't work. It is currently 3:30 in the AM, and after an extensive 18 hour testing cycle I've found a number of problems with the design of the boots. Particularly around the scroll compressor. Acceleration was taking too long, the fuel efficiency was pathetically low, among other problems. Now at this point I was a bit stumped, I couldn't think of a meaningful way to increase the power output without sacrificing consistency. Eventually I decided, fuck it; sacrifice the consistency.

So now I have a piston compressor, and it's been constructed for two stroke applications: small engines, refrigeration, and the like. This way, the fuel is consumed in small bursts, not dissimilar to a car. This also results in a higher peak power output; however, as it is a piston compressor the output is not consistent, and has peaks and troughs. If what I believe holds true, then I unfortunately will not be able to skate on air, like I had originally intended. However, considering the nature of these new compressors, the possibility of increased aerial maneuverability is almost guaranteed! Arguably, the finished product will be even better than I envisioned.

Now, an update on Laser Edge and Scissor Ray: the basic assembly of the blades' structures were finished some time ago, so I took to testing how strong of a power output I could force out. However, I was disappointed to find that--well--it was just pathetic really. I used a traditional tesla coil design, but that proved to only create the same results as my 440 display katanas. Only a light tickle, it was laughable really. Some combination of the double coil design, as well as the capacitance introduced when coming into contact with anything really. It drastically reduced the energy output. So I revised the circuit design, and came up with something arguably more dangerous. This new design only has one coil, and the delivering electrode is hooked directly to the power supply; in this way, I have eliminated the buffer of the magnetic field coupling to the output. This causes two distinctly different outcomes than the original design. One, uncompromising lethality. Through this coil, I am delivering upwards of five thousand watts of energy. If you touch the arc, you die. Two, critical output temperatures. The output electrode continues to melt in the blink of an eye. For posterity I will note that up until this point I have been using copper for the exit rod. I will be needing to find a new material to replace it with, otherwise I won't be able to activate the circuit for more than ten seconds, or even five! I have some ideas though, so I will be testing those and returning with the results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back