• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern Nightshade. (IC)

shiloh.

• mood

embarrassed??

For a car ride between three people that were as close as Shiloh, Malachi, and Khalani were, it was oddly quiet. There was no playful bickering, no sarcastic quips on Kai and Khal’s part nor Shiloh’s overzealous chatter—the only sounds to break the silence were the tires’ crunching over sticks and gravel as they carried the passengers to the woods. Shiloh itched to lean over and turn on the radio, fiddling with the dials until she found something decent, but she forced herself to refrain for fear of accidentally altering the chemistry in the space for the worse. Instead, she distracted herself from the awkwardness of it all by absentmindedly scrolling through her phone, opening and closing miscellaneous apps with no real rhyme or reason, her nerves still evident in the way she twisted her hair between two fidgety fingers.

In all truthfulness, Shiloh was likely at partial fault for the tension. She didn’t even know if her friends liked parties—if she had to guess, probably not given their general attitudes elsewhere—yet there she was, dragging them to one. They were only going to appease her. After so many years of being locked away, so to speak, Shiloh had gotten so swept up in the excitement of it all that she hadn’t even stopped to consider how Khalani and Malachi felt about the situation. It hadn’t taken much convincing on her part, but it never did—they always bent over backwards for her…

There was that stupid guilt again, paying her an unwanted visit. It was starting to become a regular thing at this point.

When the car at last came to a stop, Shiloh was quick to clamber out of the backseat, grateful to finally be out of the stuffy atmosphere they’d created for themselves. The buzz of the party was a stark contrast, and soon, she could feel her eagerness replenishing. She had to reel herself in, though, because she’d taken a step too many by the time she realized Kai and Khal weren’t with her, and she backtracked to accommodate their slower pace.

The orange glow of the fire washed over Shiloh’s skin as they neared the party, bass from the speakers vibrating in her bones. A small crowd had gathered, some of them dancing or talking amongst themselves, others already drunk and dangerously close to the flames yet didn’t seem to have a care in the world. A few familiar faces dotted the space but most of them bled together in the shadows that the bonfire cast over the group.

So, this was what the teenage years were supposed to be.

The sudden weight of a hand on Shiloh’s shoulder brought her back, and she turned to meet Khalani’s kind yet motherly gaze. Shiloh nodded in agreement at the older girl’s words. “Got it,” she promised, lips twisting into a smile. Her gaze darted to Malachi for a brief moment before she hurried off into the midst of it, not giving him a chance to offer any resistance, or if he did, she didn’t hear it.

Shiloh admittedly wasn’t paying attention to where she was going when she bumped into someone, but luck was on her side when that someone turned out to be Aspen. Out of all the people she’d encountered at Nightshade thus far, he was one of the friendliest. Of course, their mutual amiability was made that much easier by their closeness in age.

“Oh!” Shiloh started. “Hi! Sorry, I wasn’t—”

The Ward girl allowed the rest of her sentence to die in her throat as she became aware of a glare trained in her direction. A glance to the side told Shiloh that not only was she in the presence of Aspen but Esme as well.

The Hearthstones had a reputation on campus, Shiloh had learned, that preceded them everywhere they went. Most steered clear of them, which she assumed was what Esme expected her to do, given the scowl on her pretty face. Shiloh was about to concede, too, when Aspen began introductions.

Shiloh tucked her hands into her jacket’s pockets, shifting on her feet. She was a bit surprised at Esme’s admission. She could understand the brunette knowing Malachi, sure—he’d been there for years already—but herself? If anything, she’d expected to be recognized only as Kai’s little sister.

“Nice to meet you,” Shiloh said, grinning sheepishly, though that expression grew to be more genuine due to Aspen’s compliment, a blush coloring the apples of her cheeks as she tucked a particularly bothersome strand of hair behind her ear. “Thanks,” she returned. “It’s—”

God, talking to those two was giving her whiplash.

Shiloh glanced down at her outfit with a frown, brow furrowing. She’d thought the jacket would be enough, but clearly, some people were harder to please than others. She supposed this was some karmic reaction for stepping out of her comfort zone and doing something her mother wouldn’t have liked for once. It was as if Meredith had eyes everywhere.

“Oh, no, you don’t have to do that. You’ll be cold—” But it was no use; Aspen was already holding his flannel out to Shiloh, leaving her no choice but to relent. “Thank you,” she muttered, taking the flannel and tying it around her waist for the time being. It didn’t do much for the outfit overall, but she supposed she appreciated the sentiment—or, rather she would have, had Aspen done it of his own accord.

Esme’s parting sentence left silence in its wake, and Shiloh watched her disappear between the trees. “I’m sorry,” she said, at last looking to Aspen once more. “I interrupted something, didn’t I?”

elevator

blu detiger

♡coded by uxie♡

desirae.

• mood

what the fuck.

Setting up for this mini concert was probably the most tedious thing Desirae had ever done, made even more unbearable and awkward by Axel’s presence. While they did their best not to bring up their situation, things had been tense between them since the news of their engagement had dropped.

Neither of them were to blame, yes, but…it was hard to be friends with someone you’re being forced to marry. Especially when that someone has an overprotective and obsessive girlfriend.

It was obvious Livanna was insecure about their relationship—it was normal for any girl to feel threatened when their boyfriend was literally engaged to someone else—but honestly Desirae just wanted her friend back. She looked up through her eyelashes at Axel, where he was setting his drum set up, frowning.

It was funny, how easy losing the people that you’re close to was.

Especially when the reason was out of your control.

With a sigh, Des shook her head and continued on her task, fingers nimbly plugging cords into their allotted places. Her guitar leaned against the stage behind her, out of reach of the other student’s stumbling around aimlessly with red plastic cups gripped in their meaty hands.

After the last cord had been pushed into its allotted space, Desirae straightened, taking a glance around her to see how her bandmates were faring. Axel was almost done setting up his drumkit, Roman was nowhere to be found, and….who was wandering into the woods?

She stepped off the stage, dropping the four or five feet to the ground with a thud, trailing after the shadowy figure. She figured it was some Freshman, unaware of the dangers the forest held, especially at night. She was just surprised they were either dumb enough or drunk enough to wander beyond the safety of the bonfires in the first place.

“Hey,” she called, coming to stop at the boundary of the clearing. The figure continued walking, and Des took a single step towards them, whispering: “Illumni,”.

Sort of like if she had shifted, her eyes could suddenly see every detail in the dark, like someone had flipped on a light. It was one of the first spells she’d learned at Nightshade, when it became apparent she wouldn’t be able to get by with her lack of shifting ability.

A familiar black head of hair was retreating into the distance, and Desirae swore under her breathe. Esme wasn’t even supposed to be here. What the fuck was she doing in the woods?

Without thinking, Desirae trailed after her, careful to keep her footsteps quiet and surefooted, darting between trees for cover. She seemed to be muttering to herself, the words low and angry, but without the blessing of an extended range of hearing, she couldn’t tell what was being said.

With every step away from the crowd, the forest around her grew darker, the tree trunks closer together and the wind tearing at the leafless branches of the towering pines.

They’d reached another clearing, and Des kept her distance as Esme seemed to be…frantically searching for something?

Minutes passed, and it became evident that her roommate was growing more and more desperate.

A growl, low and guttural, grated over her ears. Closer than was comfortable. What the fuck was she doing?

Esme’s head snapped up, and she began walking back the way she came, passing by the tree Des had squished herself behind moments before. She let out a breath.

And before she knew what was happening, the raven haired girl whirled around, hand outstretched. A phantom force pinned her to the tree, hands above her head. Fuck.

She could hear her heartbeat in her ears as Esme spoke, annoyance dripping from her voice. The shadow’s grip on her didn’t falter.

“First of all,” she growled, unamused, “I’m not a stalker. I saw some idiot—“ a pointed glare at her roommate “—go into the woods and thought I’d warn them.”

Silence from Esme.

“And yes, I have a show but instead I’m out in the middle of the fucking woods with you and I’d really like to get back before anyone notices I’m gone,” she drawled, a rather dramatic sigh slipping from her.

“So if you could just be nice and—“

Another growl, this time louder, rang through the forest. Des could feel the reverberations through the tree trunk her back was pressed against.

“What the fuck is that?”

Cherry Hill

Russ

♡coded by uxie♡

Last edited:

Esmeralda Hearthstone

• mood

anxious --> worried

She didn’t have to be warned like a child. Esmeralda knew the potential dangers of outside the school’s wards. Manticore children and beasts alike that much was proven the audible growl she’d heard moments ago.

“And yes, I have a show but instead I’m out in the middle of the fucking woods with you and–”

“And
who’s fault is that?” She muttered, the shadows loosening around Des’s wrist. and I’d really like to get back before anyone notices I’m gone,” Esme narrowed her eyes at her admission and tightened the bag around her shoulder.

“So if you could just be nice and—“ A growl had caught both of their attentions and Esmeralda lifted a hand releasing the shadows hold on Desirae.

“What the fuck is that?”

“Shut up.” Esme said through gritted teeth in a hushed whisper. The voice was uncharacteristically quiet and Esmeralda took that as a sign that something around them was threatening enough it needed to have her full attention.

The growl became louder and steps neared them. Circling the tree they were behind until Esme had caught sight of it.

A wolf-like mastiff stared her down. Drool pooling from it’s mouth and red dripped onto the floor, causing Esme to believe that it attacked a defenseless animal minutes before it found them.

A hellhound.

She’d only read about them. They weren’t seen in the mortal realm often enough to become anything more than a myth.

Brown eyes watched in a mixture of curiosity and fear when it approached them.

Though Esmeralda didn't sense any hostility until it noticed Des.

It smelled her. Of course it did.

The mastiff stared her down as if she was prey instead of a threat. “You’re going to have to shift.” Esme said, standing as still as she could’ve.

“If you show that you’re–”

“I… can’t.”

“What do you mean you can’t?” It growled again and Esme flinched when it staggered towards them. The hellhound passed her and it caused Esme to stumble slightly but it didn’t notice because it was focused on Des.

“Don’t move.” She warned while the mastiff sniffed around her. It was a mangy yet hefty-looking wolf with sharp ears and a sharper gaze.

The red in its eyes was so strong it almost seemed like they were glowing. It slowly backed away. Further and further until it was at least fifteen feet away from the both of them.

“It’s not running off.” Esme said, taking a few careful steps backwards.

It ran towards Des and she put a hand up. A shadow intercepting the hellhound before it had the chance to charge her.

“Run!” The hellhound wrestled with the shadow before it disappeared into a black smoke of nothing. The pair ran through the woods and she wasn’t sure how long it’d been, but she knew her lungs had begun to burn– Esme had her reservations about shifters but their endurance was humanly impossible to match.

She had a hard time keeping up with Des and wasn’t even trying to at this point.

Esme had lost sight of her but continued to make haste. A conveniently placed rock had Esme trip and her back hit the ground with an audible grunt.

She wasn't even sure where Des came from but a hand was extended out towards Esme barely a second later.

She hesitated and that was enough time the hellhound needed for it to catch up to them, tackling Des to the ground.

“Incendia.” A burst of fire shot towards the hellhound and it made contact with the wolf-like creature enough to make him stagger slightly and the flame died out instantly.

They were immune.

Before Esme could come up with another plan to execute, a blur of movement went by so quickly she couldn’t even discern what it was and the hellhound was suddenly off of Desirae.

Esmeralda’s eyes widened as watched the hellhound get almost ripped to pieces by– “The Manticore. We gotta go, get up.” She spoke hurriedly and this time the hand was extended to Desirae.

"Come on!"

spit in my face!

ThsSoMch

♡coded by uxie♡

Livanna Moore

• mood

a tad nervous?

"So, that's still a thing, huh?”

Unfortunately.

Her boyfriend’s engagement hadn’t budged much. Livanna knew that he didn’t like her… or so she liked to believe.

What she didn’t know is that he asked her to join his band. They were friends and she shouldn’t have seen Des in such a negative light but it was hard not to.

The werewolf was kind, funny, gorgeous– sometimes Liv just didn’t quite understand why Axel wasn’t doing what his family wanted.

Des was everything he could've asked for.

Davina went on about the talk of murder and Liv looked at her quizzically. “Weren’t you two friends? You and Des, I mean?” Liv asked, a squint to her eyes and her hands were inserted into her jacket pockets. Her question went unnoticed as Davina finished her drink in one sip.

The brunette turned her offer down and Liv started to pick up too much of the conversation that was going on around them, unintelligible mumbling, the crunch of leaves and the gentle crackling of the fire was like static ringing in her ears.

She looked Dav’s way again and tuned back in.

“AB positive,” Davina winked, earning a smile out of Liv.

"I still can't believe all these vampires are actually going along with this animal blood rule, it's insane. You know it's just a way to control us, right? Easier to keep us in line when we aren't at our best. Like little lambs to the slaughter,"

The more she continued the more Liv realized that Davina might’ve been right. Wasn’t switching them to animal blood just a way to weaken them? After that kid's death they were scared.

Liv really didn't believe that a vampire had done it and she wasn't very scared.

But maybe they had a reason to be.

“Not us though, Livvy.”

Her acknowledgement had Liv getting hit with a sudden burst of happiness. Davina was one– if not the most confident vampire she’d ever met. Simply being included had Livanna already considering her idea.

Her fellow vampire had a plan already in the works to steal from the town’s hospital. It wasn’t a bad idea but Liv would be lying if she said she wasn’t worried about the outcome. "I mean, no way do you enjoy drinking deer. And what's next when they run out of that? Fox? Badger? Get real."

“I don’t. It’s too bitter.” Bitter, sour, and going down it tended to burn– Liv knew that was common with alcohol but she’s never had to switch to animal blood before.

Her summer was filled with random feedings (human-based feelings) and before that…

Her family always kept her fed with their endless supply of blood bags. Liv wasn’t planning on telling her father about the school’s Clean Blood act.

The last thing she needed to be seen as was a problem to solve.

She didn’t want to get special treatment. The vampires wouldn’t like that very much.

Speaking of…

A group of them were conversating amongst themselves and snuck over a glance at Liv and Davina.

“She has a deal with the council. I heard she slaughtered a village,”

“Really? I thought she practiced dark magic and used normies as her sacrifices.”
One of them pointedly looked at Liv and she avoided their gaze by looking elsewhere.

“They’re a good match. Fingers crossed she’s her next sacrifice…”

Liv put a singular earbud in her ear at max volume. Focusing on her own voice when she started speaking.

She obviously couldn’t have asked the other vampires.

And whether or not it was bad judgment or minor infatuation– Liv felt like she could trust her.

“Actually, um, you’ve tried it though right? The animal blood. Has it made you feel…” It’s not like Davina of all people was going to run to the headmaster. “Sick? Like… I can’t um…” Liv lowered her voice.

“I can’t keep it down.” She admitted rather ashamedly. It was all the more reason to break into the hospital. Davina made that clear. If Liv wasn’t going to tell the headmaster about it– or her father…

It was her only option.

“Maybe we’ll… okay, we’ll do the… hospital thing… but Axel can’t know. Nobody can know.” She didn't want Axel to be proven "right" he made his opinion about Davina known by now and so did half the school.

Davina isn't someone to trust, yadadadada-- If you ask the right people, they would've said the same thing about Liv. Since when did everyone become so judgey?

Bringing her boyfriend up again had reminded her what Davina said earlier and her stomach started to swirl. "I'd have just ripped out one, or both, of their hearts by now.” Not because she believed Dav actually would’ve–

“Can I ask you something?” Liv waited until Davina had given her the go ahead before she continued. Hesitating with her words while she tried to come up with them. “You’ve…drained people before, right? Is there anyone… you’ve spared that you… regretted? It's just that, I've been thinking..."

"About something that happened and I don't know, sometimes I feel like I messed up and should've just done it."

"He deserved it."

Admitting that felt worse than just thinking it-- or fantasizing about it.

She sounded...

"... does that make me a bad person?"

Neon Trees

Animal

♡coded by uxie♡

keaton.

• mood

hahaha kill me

The first thing Keaton noticed as they entered the clearing was the massive fire set directly at the center. Even a good fifty feet away he could tell how much effort had been put into the non-flammable flame. Also for some reason Liv now owed him a favor. Leftover traces from the seculars who cast the spell. His brow creased in confusion. Normally the ring that sat on his finger dulled out stuff like this. It was weird. Maybe it was losing power after all these years. He'd talk to Janelle about it in the morning.

He was pulled from his thoughts as Emersyn looped her arm around his and complimented him. He wondered if she could see his face had now turned bright red. He wasn't used to being complimented so directly. It wasn't good for his heart.

"Look who's talking pretty girl. If you hadn't dragged me along you'd be the best looking person here." He quipped.

He liked Emersyn. There was an ease to her that he hadn't had with any of the other people he knew (he doesn't have friends haha!). She wasn't aware of any of his baggage so she had no expectations. It was a refreshing change of pace for what he was normally used to. When she looked at him it wasn't through him or passed him. She just saw him.

As they fully entered the enclosure he was greeted with the very reason he hated Nightshade parties. They never did anything in moderation. The emotions and experiences nearly overwhelming his own. It took everything in him not to want to kiss the first person he saw. Chug down the first cup that passed his line of sight. Jump in the fire to see if he'd burn up. Find a missing book page?

None of these impulses were his own but drunk teenagers with their hormones running high didn't mix well with his abilities now that his ring seemingly wasn't blocking them out. Experiencing them all at once gave him a mild headache. It was very easy to lose himself when this happened so he was very much thankful for Emersyn's presence beside him until she wasn't.

Emersyn's grasp on his arm had slipped as soon as she caught sight of Roman. Of course he was lounging around instead of helping out which was absolutely on brand with the image of the singer he had crafted in his head. It made him dislike him more. No intrusive thoughts. This was all Keaton.

They slipped in together near perfectly, as if made for each other causing his concentration to slip. A billion different emotions now swelled in his chest crying out in unison; he couldn't discern what any singular one was. It had taken everything for Keaton to keep his expression neutral. The brunette boy's face contorting into a smug smirk as if to taunt him didn't make the endeavor any easier.

Anger. He had decided the emotions were all anger.

If there was one thing Keaton loathed it was an insecure loser but an insecure loser who's insecurity wasn't even justified? He hated them above all else. If this kept up he was sure Jason wouldn't be the last person to die in this forest. He could ask Esme for help on making it look like an accident.

"Yeah it's um nice to meet you as well." Keaton said, tone as flat as his expression. He needed an out; it was already awkward with them wrapped in each other's embrace but trying to make small talk with them like that? It was a prospect he found no joy in experiencing.

"I'm going to get something to drink for obvious reasons. Seems like you two didn't take my advice earlier so I'll leave you to that… again. I need a drink." He didn't wait for an answer as he stalked off. His tone was more forceful than he intended. He definitely needed to drink something.

~~

Keaton had discovered the further away from the fire he was the weaker the emotions were. Insead of a loud chorus they were like whispers in his head. He has found himself a nice folding chair to sink into. All he needed to do was find a drink and he'd be set.

To his utter surprise a hand extended almost out of thin air holding a red cup for him to take. He knew who it was without even looking her way. She was one of the few who knew how his abilities worked. She was mad so now he was mad too whether he wanted to be or not. He did. Guess they were having this conversation… again.

"Stay out of my head Dana." The brunette urged as he snatched the cup from her hand and took an aggressive sip."I'm still mad at you for the stunt you pulled earlier. You and I both know that the Esme topic was off limits. I don't really care how much you don't like her."

They'd done this song and dance a number of times. And It always ended the same way. Admittedly it's one of the many reasons why their relationship had deteriorated as much as it had over the years.

"I miss when we used to be able to talk about stuff other than Nightshade shit. Back when we'd stay up all night and watch those dumb Harry Potter movies back to back because you thought that blonde guy was cute." Ignatius had mumbled as he brought the cup to his lips again. "Or when you'd drag me to the mall to help you pick out clothes and we'd just end up wandering around for hours doing fuck all."

He was done trying to explain his choices to her. If they were going to have a conversation they'd have a real one or not have one at all. They'd both grown as all kids do. Their interests and priorities became more and more different. But he never pulled away from her. For two years he had clung to her for dear life while she had drifted further and further away and he was done pretending it didn't hurt.

"Grandpa says he missed you over break. Asked me how you've been since you haven't sent him a letter in since last year. I told him you were just busy with cheerleading. Guess you don't have that excuse anymore." It came out crueler than he intended. He wasn't sorry.

"Tell Esme I said thanks for that by the way." Dana spurted. She had found her opening to speak. "She's a great person Dana. You just don't know her like I do Dana. There's so much more to her Dana. It took her setting someone on fire to see what everyone else sees and now you're back groveling. It's pathetic."

"And don't you dare project your own fucking issues on me either. We don't do any of those things anymore because YOU stopped showing up. How many birthdays have you missed? How many traditions did we stop doing because you were so caught up in 'being in love'? If anyone drifted away it was you." She read him again.

He searched for words to counter but found his throat tight and nothing would come out. Maybe he wasn't being fair to her. Maybe he shared in the blame as much as he believed she did. Maybe there was some hope to save their relationship before it became irreconcilable.

"It seems like you're more like your father than you'd like to admit Iggy. Abandonment is in your blood."

Instead of waiting for a response she hobbled away. She wouldn't be able to get too far if Keaton wanted to catch up to her but all the energy had been drained out of him. He stared at his reflection in the liquid that resided in the red cup before him and wondered who he was going to see reflected back.

cry for love

백현

♡coded by uxie♡

elliot.

• mood

happy -> something feels off...

If it was possible for a heart to falter, genuinely lose its footing, perhaps slide out of place for a moment, Eli was sure that it happened the minute those smoky topaz eyes met his for the first time in what seemed like a sliver of forever. After all she had been through, Cora was still a piece of the sun; vibrant in her beauty, shameless in her pull.

He retreated a step back, if not to drink her in then perhaps to give her a little space. The two had been close before her departure, one that still pecked at the back of his head, an unresolved anger towards his best friend better left to sort another time. She was here now, away from Marina’s trap and back where she belonged. And though it was only for a moment, as Cora’s petite frame settled easy into his side, he couldn’t help the sigh that escaped. Call it melancholy, wistfulness over something that was right there in his arms for a split second or perhaps just a genuine content that he hadn’t felt since traveling through the break. Nonetheless, he offered a squeeze to her shoulders and a soft grin before she was back in front of him.

The ache in his chest panged hard as Eli watched the blonde’s features twist as she internally recalled her life here before she was sent off like an outcast. If not for the fire’s warmth, the slight hue that spread onto the brunette’s cheeks would’ve been a tell-tale sign of some repressed feelings towards the whole ordeal.

“Not much to report on without you here, mostly catty women playing catty games to woo men that don't deserve them and couldn't care less,” It was Eli’s turn to roll his eyes, scanning his environment to linger on just that. Most of the girls at Nightshade deserved far better than Nightshade men. Not his problem, just a tragedy to watch. He debated bringing up the presence of the bounty hunters, their looming gaze reaching just about everywhere between the three of them, though he decided against it. Why kill the mood?

A slight brush onto his arm pulled his focus back to Cora, her gaze had softened and her brows had unfurled. She looked a great deal calmer than when he had first laid eyes on her a few moments ago, though her shivering frame was concerning. “To us,” The brunette’s voice was lifted by the half-smirk that rested easy onto his lips, his conscious reminding him that they were no more than platonic and to get ahold of himself “Though knowing this place, a peaceful school year sounds like a big ask.” The sound of plastic cups bumping together was largely drowned out by the ever-growing chorus of student chatter, more and more filtering into the clearing. That, and Cora’s chattering teeth.

“Do me a favor? Hold this?” Handing her his own half empty cup of beer as his grin grew wider. His pointer finger and thumb pinched the sleeve of his heavy leather jacket, opposite arm slipping out of its warmth, followed by the other. “As lovely as you look,” He began, bare arms shocked by the biting air as he reached into the pockets of his discarded warmth to fetch his wallet. Amidst his traveling, Eli had certainly done his fair share of exercise, wanting to get in better shape for both health and visual benefits. Simply put, it worked.
“Starting your school year off with a cold doesn’t sound like the best way to come back.”

Two steps had him close to the blonde again as he gently draped his jacket over her shoulders, the brown from the worn leather matching nicely with the brown in her skirt. It fully engulfed her, falling to her upper thigh, just above the line of her skirt. The sight had Eli wrestling with himself to contain the smirk that wanted to break out along his face. It’d be too cocky. Cora was just a friend.

“You can give it back later,” Eli’s voice was gentle as he plucked his cup from Cora’s hand, taking two large gulps of a sour IPA to push him through the next few seconds. Two steps back had him at a respectful distance once again, however reluctant he was to do it. “In fact, you have to give it back later. It’s my favorite-”

A tingle down Eli’s spine cut his sentence short, hair raising at the back of his neck. He wasn’t sure why, in fact, didn’t trust his instinct at all as of late. But there was something nagging, something… wrong. He chalked it up to being his nerves that ran rampant at the fault of Cora’s presence and continued on. “I can grab it tomorrow, maybe over a coffee? I want to hear about France.” He knew he shouldn’t have known, but also understood that Cora knew that everything would get back to Eli eventually. Being Ezra’s best & only friend, of course the bastard would vent about what his mother did. But here Eli was, painting it as though perhaps something positive came from the trip. He could only hope there was good to be had for Cora there… she deserved something good.

cry for love

백현

♡coded by uxie♡

MOOD: not-so happy to be here

OUTFIT:
blue oni hoodie + black jeans, T-shirt, combat boots
INFO

WITH: nobody

MENTION: dana, todd (npcs)​
ACTIVITY
tag beep
TAGS
Deo Vesper-Solomon
Paint It . . .

At first, he thought his hands were stained with black paint.

But the texture feels wrong. It’s warmer and slicker. The smell is sickly metallic, like copper. It’s not just on his hands. More is smeared on his arms and on his shirt. On a wall, dripping from the ceiling ...

It’s not black ...

“What did you do?”

Your gifts from me saved you.

“You killed them!”

I gave you a push.

He trips over a large lumpy figure lying on the floor— and quickly scrambled away until his back meets a solid wall. A dozen bodies covered in many deep slash marks lay lifelessly across from him, their wide eyes staring at him, forever frozen in terror. Some of their limbs are disturbingly contorted in many different ways. Shallow black puddles spread underneath them.

But it's not ...

He looks at his reflection in a broken mirror to his left.

Two solid black eyes stare straight back at him, mimicking the same startled look on his face.

• • •​
“Looks like the world’s biggest mausoleum for wealthy pompous asshats,” Deo mumbled. His weary brown eyes examined the grandiose building of Nightshade Academy emerging through the windshield. He had planned to sleep the entire long drive there, but the taxi ran over a pothole and the rattle woke him up 20 minutes ago, cutting off his dream. He was secretly grateful for it, though. “Do they even have air conditioning?”

“Language,” his legal guardian Dominic Dumas chided from the passenger seat. “It’s not all that bad. And yes, we have air conditioning.”

Deo was supposed to start his classes last spring, but a kid was found dead and the school closed for the rest of the semester. He wasn’t upset about it, having extra school break days. At least he thought so at first. Most of his summer was spent on magic lessons.

Wow, magical homeschool! Such fun!

Except it wasn’t. Stuck in an old, English countryside cottage, with nobody around except Dominic and someone sent by the Council to check up on him once in a while—the most boring house arrest experience, in a place that wasn't his own house. Mornings and most of afternoons were spent on reading dusty textbooks and journals. Usually, Deo didn’t mind reading, but too much was draining. He had very little hands-on training and wrote enough useless Cornell-style notes to make a novella—and those were just from covering half of the basics.

In the taxi, Dominic handed Deo a folder that held some papers for him to read, including his class schedule and dorm info. The first thing he noticed on his class schedule was his name. His brows furrowed. His last name was hyphenated with another.

“Hey, this isn’t my name. It’s supposed to be just Vesper. Deo Vesper.

“And now it’s Vesper-Solomon,” Dominic said, glancing at the teenager from the rear-view mirror. “Your father was the one who signed the registration forms. I’m sure he had a good reason for it… You know, he used to be a member of the Council a few years ago—”

“Yeah, you told me already.” The conversation ended once Deo put on his earphones. Didn’t feel right, he thought, taking a dead stranger’s name.

And whose fault is that?

Deo glanced to his left. To Dominic, the driver, and everyone else who saw the taxi cab they were in, there was nobody sitting in the backseat with him. Through Deo’s eyes, there was a large humanoid figure, sitting patiently, the top of its head nearly touching the ceiling. The fabric of its black long robes looked like it was made of dense wispy smoke. The long chain links attached to its metal wrist shackles gently clinked together as they shifted on the car floor.

The empty black eye sockets of the ram skull stared back at him.

“Fuck off, Ozzy,” Deo whispered dryly at the demon. He raised the music volume, canceling out almost 99% of outside noise, and exited the taxi once it parked. Whether or not Dominic heard him, he couldn’t tell.

The school librarian didn’t scold him for the crude language this time.
• • •​
It took him less than 24 hours to decide he hated magic school.

Somehow, he managed to get half of the student population to despise him. Mostly the guys did for some reason. He simply assumed they were insecure bhenchods who need to get over themselves. He didn’t have to worship the ground those assholes walked on.

Then this classmate named Todd or Ted Tennyson pestered Deo throughout most of lunchtime, wouldn’t leave him alone until he knew what his powers were. So, Deo said he could turn into a demonic sheep, and told Todd to piss off. A sarcastic answer, obviously. (Not the "piss off" part.) The truth was more complicated than that, but it didn’t matter. Todd ran off to tell as many people as he could that the new guy was some kind of were-sheep.

Two girls he tried to approach rolled their eyes and walked away from him, giggling at their snobbish barn animal joke under their breaths. Damn you, Todd.

We should rip out his tongue and legs and watch him crawl away screaming in agony, growled the low gravelly voice of the demon.

Slightly twisting the silver ring around his right index finger, Deo muttered, “God no, we’re not gonna do that to him.” To avoid looking like a crazy kid talking to himself, he’d put on his earphones with a built-in mic, playing music from his phone at a low volume. He got himself a cup of cola and some liquor, and sat on a makeshift chair beside the bonfire, pretty much by his lonesome, saved for the extra voice in his head. “Besides, I wasn’t wrong. Rams are male sheep.”

You’re right, said Ozzy. I should make you rip out your tongue for being an imbecile!

At least they agreed on one thing. Maybe he should rip off Todd’s legs... No. Deo couldn’t afford to get in trouble for causing unnecessary amputations. Harmless humiliation would have to do, even though Todd's cheap body spray and exaggerated surfer accent tempted him to punch his generic TikTok white boy face.

While vigorously shaking a beer can, Deo overhead his target chatting with that blonde cheerleader wearing a medical boot covering her ankle. Dinah something.

“I’m serious, Todd! I saw something move. I think it’s watching us. What if it’s the manticore?”

“The school already took care of that. It’s probably just a possum taking a shit or something. Relax, Dana. Enjoy the party. You don’t wanna make your ankle worse.”

“Ugh, fuck you, Todd.” Turning around with her crutches, Dana moved toward the edge of the party area, limping past Deo.

“What’s up with you?” he asked, genuinely curious, and amused at her frustration.

“Making sure you none of you idiots get yourselves killed. Watch where you step, freak. Broken ankle here.” Charming. No wonder she was hated so much.

Todd waved dismissively at Dana. “Forget her. She’s still upset about that Jason kid. Hey, whatcha got?”

As a feigned friendly gesture, Deo gifted him the beer can— which spewed in Todd’s face two or three times more beer than it normally contained. Written in blank-ink marker, on the bottom side of the can, were three Hebrew letters:

כ . פ . ל

Khaf—Peh—Lamed. Roughly translating double or multiply. Latin-based spells didn’t always work for Deo, so he'd looked for alternatives in his spare time. There is more than one ancient language.

Now Todd and a few other unfortunate students nearby him smelled like Guinness for the rest of the night. Deo was at a safe distance when Todd opened the can, leisurely lighting up a black cigarette between his lips and stealing a bottle of light rum from a table to drink comfortably under a tree, ignoring Ozzy's grumbly complaints—he wanted Deo to get whiskey, not rum.

He looked in the direction where Dana had wandered off to look for the supposed manticore or possum. He couldn't see past the deep shadows of the woods and spotted no signs of movement from her or any creature possibly lurking.

Hmmm ...

Deo shrugged unconcernedly, taking a couple of sips of his rum, and flicking the ashes of his cigarette into his empty plastic cup. It was none of his business. Plus, Dana didn't seem like a pleasant girl to be with. She wasn't worth the energy.
code by valen t.

Last edited:

Ezrael M. Hearthstone

• mood

???

Despite the awkward air that hung over them, it was hard to be in a bad mood while eating Italian food.

It was one of the few things he and Davina had agreed on while they were dating. Where his ex—and roommate by whatever sick twist of fate had occurred—was, Ezra wasn’t certain. At the party, probably, with whoever had the misfortune to call her a friend these days.

For a moment, the room was quiet save for the music still pouring out of the small black speaker on the counter. Metal silverware clinked against porcelain plates as he shoveled a few more bites of the creamy pasta into his mouth.

“Studying?” Ezra asked mildly, pausing his eating. The side of his mouth twitched toward a smile. “It’s the first day of school.”

While Ezra himself was no stranger to long nights spent studying as if his life depended on it, he wasn’t sure why he wanted to go to this party so badly in the first place.

Perhaps it was less so a desire to listen to crappy music and drink cheap liquor that was sure to leave him with a few regrets and a hangover, and more so…the need to escape the feeling of hopelessness that had been hounding him since he and Esme had arrived back in Ireland.

The gloomy weather certainly didn’t help, either.

Ezra stood suddenly, walking towards the kitchen once more, before opening one of the wooden cabinets and retrieving two short glasses. They clinked against each other as he set them on the counter and he turned to Veronika.

“I always forget that the drinking age here is 18,” he announced, another tiny hint of a smile playing at his face. He stooped down to access the cabinet below him, pulling out two mostly full bottles are dark liquor.

The first thing he’d acquired upon their arrival. He wasn’t sure if he would’ve been able to deal being stuck in a hotel room with Esme for a week otherwise.

“How about a drink, while you decide?” He offered, opening the freezer to put ice in the cups before returning to the table and pouring them each a cup of the first bottle, some aged Irish whiskey he’d seen on the shelves and decided didn’t sound too horrible.

One of his shadows sighed wistfully. I miss drinking, it murmured, and this time he was sure it was loud enough for Veronika to hear as he leaned across the table to hand her a cup.

“Well don’t touch mine,” he muttered back. Great. Now he’d have to hide his alcohol, too. Sometimes his powers felt a lot like having unruly kids.

risk

fkj

♡coded by uxie♡

emersyn.

• mood

who even knows

The tension that lingered in the air as the two men before her exchanged forced hellos was killing the vibe. And Emersyn hated it.

She watched with the corner of her bottom lip between her teeth. Watched the smugness that grew with ease onto Roman’s features, watched his smirk spread with pride, watched Keaton’s brows furrow, watched her roommate become annoyed and eventually leave without another glance in her direction. It didn’t go unnoticed, how his shoulders seemed to tense, how his voice seemed to strain, how his lip furled into an inkling of a snarl. All before spinning on his heel and disappearing into the night.

She could never understand why boys said that women were complicated when they acted like this.

“Y’know I can’t tell if he likes me or not,” The brunette girl sighed, turning in Roman’s grasp to lean her back against his side. Absent-mindedly twisting a strand of hair between her fingers, lips pursed, she couldn’t help but think on what she just said. Having a roommate that didn’t like her sounded like hell, and honestly? She wouldn’t have it. Emersyn knew that with a little effort, her and Keaton would be great friends by the end of the year… he just needed to open up a bit more. Maybe she did too… Thoughts for a time when free alcohol wasn't around.

“Or maybe he just doesn’t like you. That seems more likely.” It was her turn to smirk, an elbow playfully jabbing into the singer’s side behind her, head tilting up & back to look at him, hair falling behind her to tickle at the boy’s arms. Roman never seemed nervous before shows, never seemed to be bothered. Whether that was the menagerie of substances that she was sure flowed freely through him or an utter lack of care, Emersyn didn’t know. What she did know was that the red ink branding on his cheek wasn't easy to ignore, it made the corners of her lips turn into a half smile just briefly before disappearing again. “Yeah that’s gotta be it. You’re way easier to dislike than I am.”

A swift movement had her slipping from Roman’s grasp, her petite figure pushing up from the speaker. While she was fully capable, blocking out the boy’s desires through his touch was quickly becoming exhausting. Something about Roman made it difficult to keep up those mental wards, perhaps it was the unwavering similarity of their powers, or just the closeness of them as individuals. Roman seeing what he did, Emersyn's ability to see it too if she so desired... two people constantly outrunning the dead by drowning their veins in poison. Roman's desires were like a picture on an HD TV whenever he touched her, and Emersyn decided with a slight wince that she didn’t want to see that part of Roman tonight… it would’ve just been distracting.

Red silk shined against the fire as she turned to face him, hands balling into fists before shoving them into her jacket pockets. The air was cold, biting at her fingertips. “Go help your people, or they’re gonna play louder than you can sing. Plus, I need a drink” Her red boot tapped against the toe of his own shoe, her smile inviting banter, though she wouldn’t be around long enough to see it through. “I’ll see you up there,” Two steps backwards put enough distance between her and Roman’s chiseled figure, his relaxed fit not doing much to hide the muscle tone beneath. Her heart sank just an inch as she thought of missing the tradition of a pre-show shot, though as Des had told her time & time again, it was time to move on... tonight would be step one. “Gotta see if I can find something fun to do later,” Two more steps had her fully detached from lingering thoughts involving him, eyes beginning to stray, observing those in the clearing, “but I’ll see you after maybe.” Her tone was airing on dismissive, though it had trouble fully committing. Two final steps, one for separation as Emersyn’s smirk widened with a wink in the singer's direction, and one to turn her back to him.

Just because it wouldn’t be Roman didn’t mean she couldn’t find someone else to have a little fun with for the night… though she highly doubted she would be going home with anyone other than Keaton. The image of it, of driving home and saying goodnight to her roommate before falling into bed by herself, it wasn't terrible. Mundane, which Emersyn tried to avoid, but not gut wrenching. Green eyes scanned the clearing again before landing on a table of uncapped liquor and empty beer cans, her feet moving before she could process. This would be a good start.

Get hammered first.

cry for love

백현

♡coded by uxie♡

Andrew Evernight

• mood

Young, Dumb, Free

"I heard there was a secret chord...that David played and it pleased the lord; but you don't really care for music, do you?" A great huff of air preceded a large smoke ring drifting up from the lone figure in the shadows. It floated towards the moonlit, changing from a deep shade of purple to a light green. A smaller ring joined it, floating through the middle and changing from yellow to red. The soft singing started up again.

"It goes like this- the fourth, the fifth; the minor fall, the major lift...the baffled king composing hallelujah..."

It was his favorite song. He half-sang, half-whispered it into the shadows as he watched the starry sky. He had outdone himself- his new batch had come out stronger than ever. Andrew reckoned he could get god high if he burned a field of this stuff.

"Your faith was strong, but you needed proof. You saw her bathing on the roof; her beauty in the moonlight overthrew you..." His soft voice rose and fell again. It had been the first song he learned on guitar, a tribute to the long nights this song had gotten him through. Why this song? Because it was there. It was the only one that was there. Etched into the crumbling stones of the Obsidian Tower in his family castle, a seven-year-old Andrew cried these lyrics as he desperately fought to keep his candle from going out. If the light went out, the darkness would come, and his family's curse would punish him again and again for refusing to raise the dead.

"You miss your dog, Andrew? Hm? Bring it back then. If you want him, bring him back! Your tears will do nothing! Read the spell and raise him!"

A cruel lesson to teach a child. They had killed Gunner, his only friend, torturing it until the poor animal's vocal chords tore and its lifeless eyes stared up at a horrified Andrew. "Just bring it back! Your sister could raise the dead well before age six! You want your dog? Bring him back!"

But he couldn't. Oh he tried- he called upon every power he had, praying to whatever god was out there that his best friend would breath again. He cried for ancient magic, made hopeless deals with demons, and even tried asking the Moon... but nothing came. The lifeless eyes and the broken screams of his tortured dog haunted his nightmares for years to come. Sometimes the screams would turn into voices, and he could hear all to well his poor dog screaming to him from the abyss. "Why did you leave me?"

Another ring floated into the air, its color a perfect black that allowed no light to escape it.

Cruelty. The perfect word to describe his family's way of raising him. Not a dark wizard like the rest, and certainly nothing like his powerful great-grandfather who commanded the family for so many years. What would he think, watching his great-grandson who was supposed to be the next prodigal child of the Evernights, smoking and singing to himself in the dark? Andrew was not a master of black magic like his family- he barely used it at all. He would like to say he resisted his family's torture and refused to use the dark arts; to say he had held strong and kept to his vow to never cast a curse or call upon dark spirits.

But that would be a lie. Unrealistic and stupid. He had used it, many times, but only under the barrel of his family's "gun". Now he was here, at this great school, away from his family's command and able to explore and discover to his own delight. Perhaps his siblings would take up the mantle and be the perfect Evernight child his parents wanted.

His older sister, Taylor? No. She was powerful, and cruel, but she didn't have the light shattering magic of her great-grandfather or even her own father. She was cunning with her magic, but she was not the perfect Evernight. Nor was his younger brother, Ethan. Not that his family talked about him anymore. They had blamed Andrew for years after the accident happened. What could he have done? He was only nine...

And of course, there was Astrid. The youngest- the bright hope for the family. She was only eight, but she had a cruelty about her that made Andrew shiver. She had not exercised it on him, believing that he was simply hiding his dark powers and would reveal it after he graduated. She was so excited about the surprise that she had blasted their cousin out of a window to protect him. "So you don't waste your surprise on her!" She had said with a smile.

Another smoke ring. This one was a pale blue. Maybe this was too strong. It wasn't supposed to bring back painful memories- it was supposed to help create new ones! A few more hits and Andrew would be ready to join the party. He wondered who would be there, and what memories he would make tonight. He was excited- this was going to be a good year. He was soon to embark on the greatest adventure yet. He knew this for certain: The Moon had told him so.

He stared up at the first quarter moon, half of the beautiful face peering down at him. It would be full in a matter of days. He could sense the magic around it, could feel the power of Pollux. A final smoke ring floated towards the moon's waxing face, the color of twilight. The shadows would soon be behind him, and the Lunarsphere would soon surrender even more wonderful secrets.

risk

fkj

♡coded by uxie♡

James.

• mood

anxious

Even as a child, death hadn’t really scared James. It was part of a cycle, a part of life. It was inevitable like how the moon waxed and waned every month. That said, Jason Huxley’s death unsettled her. A life taken far too soon and too cruelly. Nothing about it had been natural. James had always thought Nightshade Academy to be safe, but something dark had taken root in the undergrowth and even if the teachers and students insisted on tiptoeing around the events that had taken place last year, putting on a façade that everything was back to normal, she sensed that everyone was on edge.

It had been a challenge trying to convince her parents to allow her to return to Nightshade this semester.

A manticore? What’s a manticore?
What if there are more?
We were told you’d be safe. Maybe it’ll be better if you attended the remainder of High School here in New York…

James had shut down the idea so fast that her parents were left speechless. Although her parents’ concerns were understandable and justified, Nightshade had been her home away from home since she learned of its existence two years ago and she was not quite ready to give it up yet. Just being here, surrounded by magic and others like her pushed her in ways life in New York never could. There was so much more she had yet to explore, discover, and learn and she planned on doing just so.

So here she was. Well, here as in Nightshade. Not here, in the middle of the woods at night just months after a manticore supposedly killed a student. That was largely attributed to Liv. Bright, ever excited, hard-to-say-no-to, Liv.

Dress for a party the girl had said. What did that even mean? Whatever it was, James had shown up as asked, wearing the nicest sweater in her closet. Kind of.

‘Got lost in the woods. Will be there in a bit.’ She texted Liv. It was a blatant lie. James never got lost. Instead, she was pacing a hole in the dirt trying to psyche herself up for the social interactions to come. Just beyond the trees she could see the glow of firelight and hear the muffled chatter of the other partygoers.

Alright. You can do this James. She said in her head. Taking a deep breath, she willed her legs forward only for nothing to happen. Nope. She let out a sigh. This really shouldn’t be as difficult as it was. As she picked up her pacing again, the opening lyrics to Hallelujah drifted over to her ears. While she hadn’t been to a lot of high school parties, she was at least certain that song wasn’t typically on the playlist. Curiosity getting the better of her, she followed the singing only to find… Andrew.

“Of course, it would be you.” James commented drily as she emerged from behind a tree. “What are you doing here anyway.” Eyeing the blunt in his hand she raised a questioning brow.

once upon a time

toby fox

♡coded by uxie♡

Last edited:

Andrew Evernight

• mood

Young, Dumb, Free

The smoke rings floating around him imploded on themselves, their color fading and their forms drifting away in the wind. Andrew let out a small fit of coughing but didn't turn around. He didn't need his eyes to recognize the scorn or judgement in the voice. James Hastings.

Of all the people to stumble into this clearing, the one to find him was the only student in the school that shared his birthday.

Andrew and James shared quite a few similarities besides their birthday: Their attunement to the Lunarsphere, their resonance with the twin stars of the Gemini sign, and the need for a bit of a "warm up" before jumping into a social situation.

"Blowing smokerings until you scared them all away." He responded without enthusiasm. "One might think you'd have better things to do than stalk me during a back to school party."

He glanced over his shoulder at James. He could see her outline in the half-moonlight. He gave a small chuckle.

"The Moon is ripe for watching. If you don't mind my dreadful company, you're welcome to join me. We only have a few minutes before clouds cover her." He motioned her over and held out the smoking joint.

"I suppose I wouldn't mind your company, this time."

risk

fkj

Aspen Bates.

• mood

shots shots shots

Aspen found that the people he liked were few and far between, despite his eagerly friendly demeanor. Shiloh Ward, the curly haired (and better looking) female counterpart to her brother, Malachi, happened to be one of those people, and as she slid his flannel on over her dress, haloed in firelight, he was unable to keep a grin from sliding across his face.

His smile faded, however, as the two sophomores watched Esme’s head of black hair retreat into the distance—towards the sight of the ritual, if his intuition was correct. He had half a mind to shift and follow after her, but he’d learned ages ago the consequences of talking to her while she was in a mood, and honestly?

Aspen wanted to enjoy the party.

“Esme? Don’t worry about her, she’s…tense,” he explained, gazing towards the firelight to his left, where people were drifting along the stoned rimmed boundary. “You know, first day of school and all.”

For a few moments, they watched the people around them, the crowd around the drink table slowly lessening. Without the cover of his flannel, he was admittedly far more chilly than he’d anticipated. Shaking his head, Aspen stuffed his hands into the pockets of his denim pants, before returning his attention to Shiloh.

“Do you drink?” He asked, half nervous that somehow Meredith or Malachi had heard and would arrive shortly to strike him down where he stood. “Do you…want a drink?”

His brown eyed gaze dipped down to the red plastic cup that was clenched in his hand, almost forgotten about in lieu of his new company. Pretty company at that.

Then, Aspen shot Shiloh another cheeky grin, grabbing her hand and dragged her towards the crowd, the drink table, towards the where all the action would be happening. Since Esme had left, standing on the outskirts of such an event was unacceptable. He’d show his newfound friend a hell of a good time.

And look good while doing it.

When they reached the center of the noisy crowd, surrounded on all sides by a sea of people, he dropped her hand and turned to face her. With the cacophony of voices around them, he had to lean forwards and talk into her ear, his breath moving silky pieces of her hair.

“When the music starts, everyone is going to go crazy,” he informed her, jerking his chin towards the makeshift stage that Axel and the rest of his bandmates were supposed to be setting up. “We don’t usually get the honor of having a band play, but Axel’s girlfriend Liv threw the party and…”

He trailed off, unsure of how much of this even made sense to Shiloh. She hadn’t been here long and the chances were…she hadn’t a clue who he was talking about, either. And what if she didn’t like live music and thought he was totally lame?

“So about that drink?”

objects in the mirror

mac miller

♡coded by uxie♡

Last edited:

veronika.

• mood

nostalgic (derogatory)

Veronika’s eyebrows shot up, big blue eyes flitting to meet Ezra’s. She swallowed, then looked down again at her plate of food. “You can never be too prepared,” she said softly, giving a half-hearted shrug.

She should’ve just told Ezra she didn’t want to go—it would’ve made things simpler—but she knew what people said about her; she was boring, by the standards of most. Ezra seemed like one of the only people at Nightshade who could understand her, given his own family situation, and for a reason she didn’t want to delve too deeply into, Veronika wasn’t fond of the idea of giving him cause to join the masses in their opinions of her. There was no need to drive away his amiability yet if she didn’t have to.

Across from Veronika, Ezra’s chair scraped against the floor as he rose to his feet, crossing to the line of cabinets and rummaging around until he produced a couple of glasses accompanied by the alcohol they’d soon contain. Despite Veronika’s aversion to parties, she was no stranger to drinking.

At the sound of footsteps, Veronika glanced over her shoulder, pale gaze scanning the end of the hallway, her shoulders tense in anticipation of a scolding, but no one ever came. The Hawthorne Manor was too big, and sound carried—it was like being trapped in a labyrinth, the way noises bounced off the walls of its many winding corridors, and Veronika was but Theseus in his attempts at evading the Minotaur.

A hand wrapped around Veronika’s, tugging her into the now-open door of her father’s office, and her attention snapped back to the task at hand as she came face-to-face with her giggling cousin.

Veronika hushed her. “We’re going to get caught, Em,” she warned, eyebrows furrowing.

Emersyn rolled her eyes playfully, already turning to the locked cupboard where Veronika’s father kept his liquor. “It’s fine,” she said. “You know how they are—once they get past their third glass of wine and start on their grown-up bullshit, they won’t even notice we’re gone.”

Those were the words that lulled Veronika into a false sense of security, posture at last sagging in relent as she sank to the floor beside the space that Emersyn already occupied, taking the bottle of Bourbon that her cousin extended her way.

As more and more alcohol filled her system, Veronika wasn’t sure how much time had passed between the hushed conversation and stifled laughter when Emersyn rose to unsteady feet again, checking her phone before crossing to the window. Veronika trailed after her, catching a glimpse of the old red car that stalled at the curb in front of the house, its headlights turned off to better blend into the shadows the Manor’s looming stature cast onto the street, through the glass pane as Emersyn began sliding it upward, body already poised to climb through.

“Em, what are you doing?” Veronika demanded, voice coming out strained with panic. “You can’t leave—”

“Cover for me, Ronnie,” Emersyn said with a smile and a wink before her feet landed with a dull thud on the grass below the window.

Veronika watched her cousin run down the driveway without so much as a backwards glance, driven by liquor-fueled confidence and whatever it was that drew her to the boy waiting for her in that poor excuse of a vehicle.

When Emersyn opened the passenger side door, the car’s interior light flickered on just enough that Veronika could make out Roman Duke’s smugly nonchalant figure—he was a new student at Nightshade but clearly, already shaping out to be nothing but trouble—one hand on the steering wheel, head turning away from Veronika’s view as he leaned towards Em. A moment later, the sound of his car peeling off split the calm night air, and Veronika had no time to recover before the door to her father’s office was flying open, bottle slipping out of her grasp as she spun to greet her parents, any bit of hope of escaping unscathed dying at the angry look in their eyes.

“Sure,” Veronika replied with a tight-lipped smile, slender fingers wrapping around the glass that Ezra slid in her direction.

She eyed the shadow at Ezra’s shoulder, its near-excited humming once again prodding at Veronika’s curiosity. Same as last time, though, she didn’t ask; instead, she brought the cup to her lips and took a test sip, followed by a bigger intake of the liquid before she set it down again.

“I’ll have to change before we go,” Veronika said thoughtfully. “These pants aren’t exactly ‘trekking through the woods’ material.”

Without her parents here to tell her otherwise, what was there to lose? Veronika was already plunging into the deep end by spending time with who her parents considered the enemy—she might as well make the swim worthwhile.

anti-hero

taylor swift

♡coded by uxie♡

James.

• mood

anxious

The day James Hastings met Andrew Evernight was coincidentally also the day she came to truly understand the phrase 'familiarity breeds contempt'. It wasn't that they hated each other - although there were some who might beg to differ - it was merely that their similarities made them perfect rivals. It started out innocently enough, a playful challenge posed by a professor in one of their classes during their first year at Nightshade. Only, the challenge never ended. Back and forth the two went trying to outsmart, outwit, and outperform each other in every aspect of school.

"Wha- I-" James sputtered, caught off guard by Andrew's comment. "I am not stalking you!" She exclaimed while internally cursing the absolute audacity of this boy. If not for the darkness of night, he would have easily seen her face turn a furious shade of pink. When he offered the joint out to her, she folded her arms in front of her and shook her head, golden brown locks dancing wildly around her face.

"You must really be high if you're interested in my company." At this moment, the music coming from the clearing where the party was taking place crescendoed and James remembered why she was here in the first place. On second thought, perhaps hanging out with Evernight might not be the worst option. Clearing her throat, she awkwardly shuffled closer and turned her face up to the moon. "Are you... Can you..." The question hung at the tip of her tongue, struggling to find coherence. "What's the Lunarsphere like?"

For James, the Lunarsphere existed in the periphery of her senses, always there but forever intangible. Like a reflection of their world. Not for Andrew though. Andrew could access the Lunarsphere in ways she couldn't, much to her chagrin. As much as she disliked turning to him for help, an opportunity had presented itself and she wasn't one to give up an opportunity.

once upon a time

toby fox

♡coded by uxie♡

Last edited:
MOOD: a bit happier to be here

OUTFIT:
blue oni hoodie + black jeans, T-shirt, combat boots
INFO

WITH: emersyn

MENTION: davina, liv​
ACTIVITY
TAGS
Deo Vesper-Solomon
Man On Fire

Finally, he had something interesting to do at this party.

No, it wasn’t watching the whatchamacallit band, which he couldn’t care any less. It wasn’t the shaken beer can thing from earlier either, because that was just small-time petty revenge. It was something else far better than both.

— i was gonna snag a drink, maybe you could meet me over there . . .

To put it simply, it was a booty call.

Deo heard there was a family feud between these two family names that start with the letter H. But he didn’t care to think about it. As far as he knew, he wasn’t involved in the rivalry in any way, so it wasn’t his concern. His main concern was currently meeting a hot girl named Emersyn who messaged him. He didn’t care which letter H family she was from.

There was also a hot vampire named Davina, but he hadn’t seen her at the party for a long time. She was probably busy doing something—or someone else. Deo didn’t mind. They could always hook up at another time. Just one of the perks of both of them being single. (Sorry, Liv. Your wing-woman efforts are appreciated.)

Using the magic bonfire’s lighting, Deo used his phone’s camera to check the thin layer of black eyeliner around his eyes. Yep, all right, his dark eyelashes were accentuated quite nicely tonight for that subtle roguish-pirate look (despite his outfit choice). No tuft of his nearly white-bleached hair poking too out of place—check and all set.

What are you doing? Where are you going?

“Off to make a new friend,” Deo said to the demon, smothering his cigarette butt inside his empty cup. Hopefully, Emersyn didn’t mind the scent of mocha vanilla-flavored tobacco. After putting away the earphones in his pocket, and sipping an ounce or two of sweet rum for an extra bit of courage, he headed to the drink table to look for his new friend.

He placed the rum bottle on the table, then ambled closer to her side.

“Hi,” he greeted with a relaxed, almost-innocent small smile. The first thing he noticed was her eyes. Wow... He couldn't remember seeing anyone else's eyes being as clearly green as hers before.

“Emersyn, right? I’m Deo Vesper… and you kinda knew already. Sorry, I’m a little drunk right now.” He huffed out a dry, self-deprecating chuckle, subconsciously twiddling his engraved silver ring—he wished it had been a spinner ring. Clearly, he was tipsy, with a light red tint evident on his cheeks. "You look amazing tonight, by the way. I'm not too drunk to miss that."

Despite his slightly wobbly vision, he was still very much aware of his surroundings and feelings, without being physically clumsy. The presence of his demon felt like it was shoved into a far corner of Deo’s conscience, the sound of its irritated grumbles muffled more in the background. It helped Deo put his focus on keeping himself balanced, and figuring out where would be a good place to hook up with Emersyn.

A secluded spot in the woods? Her car if she has one? Ditch this whole event and head back to his dorm?

And he considered plenty of fun ideas to do in all of them. He was a very creative guy, who loves sharing his creative ideas with others. Wink, wink.
code by valen t.

Malachi Ward.

• mood

anxious

Kai watched as Shiloh bounded away, too eager to even say goodbye, with a mixture of gut wrenching and anxiety and an overwhelming sense of brotherly pride bubbling in his chest. It was crazy that, despite the two measly years that separated them, the feeling that time was slipping away from was growing with every day. His baby sister had managed to flourish into a beautiful young woman, one he was proud to call family, right under his nose.

It was enough to have him staring after her, as if he could still see his little sister’s shock of curly brown hair through the sea of people in front of him. More people—some he recognized and some he didn’t as they passed—were filing into the space as well. It seemed that all of Nightshade’s student population had decided to come to the party.

A headache was beginning to form at the edge of Kai’s temples, the blur of auras putting everything just slightly out of focus. He’d always marveled at the way people’s energies interacted—growing larger or smaller or shifting between colors like a chameleon when emotions were high.

A steady weight pushed into his shoulder, drawing him back to the present. With a shake of his head and a quick huff of breath, he turned his attention back to Khalani, the end of her question hanging in the air like mist.

He hadn’t heard what she said.

“Huh? Yeah, sure,” he attempted, hoping his answer was an adequate response to whatever she had said.

It did, apparently, because she grabbed his hand and dragged him in the direction of the drink table, giving a quick ‘excuse me’ here and there as they attempted to navigate the crowd. They made it to the long plastic table setup in a matter of moments, and Kai was careful not for step on any of the red solo cups that littered the leaf covered ground.

The drink table was also in a disarray, stacks of cups strewn amidst a shockingly horrifying selection of booze, and half empty cups discarded haphazardly close to the edge threatened to topple over at the slightest of breezes.

“What do you think is safe to drink?” Kai asked, turning to Khal with a semi-forced smile on his face. He eyed a bottle scotch that had somehow remained unopened, the more popular choices like vodka and tequila half empty besides it.

Careful not to knock anything over, he grabbed the bottle and cracked the seal in one smooth motion, a genuine grin spreading across his features as he shot Khal a roughish wink, before taking a swig, a single drip of the dark liquor escaping from the corner of his mouth and making a track down his chin. After the burn faded it left a warmth in its wake that spread from his throat outwards, dulling the sharp edge of anxiety that still lurked in the corners of his mind.

“I think they got this bottle specifically for us,” he whispered dramatically, handing the bottle to Khal. “And I think we’ll keep it, too.”

sacrifices

dreamville

♡coded by uxie♡

roman.

• mood

moody still :/

“It’s impossible to not like you,” Roman said with a scoff, watching as Keaton stalked off. “If he does, he’s as dumb as he seems.”

As Emersyn twisted in Roman’s grasp, his hand shifted from her waist to settle instead on the soft skin of her exposed stomach, cool from the chill that hung heavily in the air around them despite the wavering heat from the bonfire. Roman’s fingers worked of their own accord, drawing shapes on the Hawthorne girl’s flesh in a low-effort attempt at warming her up as he scanned the crowd, something along the lines of disinterest flashing in his dark irises.

The feeling of Emersyn’s elbow wedging into Roman’s side, just below his ribs, drew a grunt out of him, and his attention snapped back to her, brows furrowing in a mix of mild irritation and confusion, but when he found her already looking up at him like that—head leaned against his shoulder; green eyes sparkling; a smirk on her pretty, red lips—all of that dissipated, leaving only that gnawing feeling in the pit of his stomach. They were so close, Roman could smell her perfume. If he was any drunker, he might’ve done something worth regretting later—pulled a page from their history book—but the more logical voice in his head—a quiet entity that rarely made its presence known in Roman’s decisions—talked him out of it.

“Uh huh,” Roman agreed, sarcasm evident in his tone. “That explains why you can’t stay away from me. Now, is it the annoying personality or the shitty car that keeps bringing you back for more?”

All too soon, Emersyn broke away, leaving an odd sort of emptiness in her wake as Roman’s hand fell to his side. “Loud or not,” he said, rolling his eyes, “I’ll still be the best person up there.”

Roman’s gaze dropped to where there shoes connected, lingering there when he muttered a small, almost defeated-sounding, “Yeah.” He’d have to find something else to occupy himself in the last few minutes before the show, since Emersyn seemed intent on doing the same—Roman could only hope it was an off-night for them and that their tradition of pre-performance shots wasn’t to be abandoned forever. “Right.” He looked up just in time to catch Emersyn’s parting wink before her back was turned to him, and she joined the ever-growing crowd.

He had no business hating the idea of Emersyn with someone else as much as he did—not that he would ever own up to that jealous pang in his chest, of course.

For lack of better options, Roman turned to his band mates, ready to offer half-assed assistance at whatever remained to be done, only to find one of them missing.

“Dude, where’s your wife?”

Axel paused what he was doing, eyebrows knit together as he glanced first to Roman, then to where Liv stood conversing with Davina a few feet away. Realization soon settled on his features, though, as did annoyance as the taller boy turned back to Roman. “Oh, you mean—hell, I don’t know. It’s not my job to keep track of her. She’s probably just getting a drink or something.”

Roman frowned, eyes narrowed as he searched the faces of those nearby, only to come up empty. Des was nowhere to be found.

“Liv plays guitar, right?”

“Yeah, why?”

Sometimes, it was painfully obvious to Roman why Axel hadn’t graduated yet.

“Jesus, do I have to do everything around here?” Roman mumbled to himself, hopping off the stage and crossing to where the two pretty brunettes stood.

“Hey, sorry to interrupt,” Roman started, looking between them, “but, uh, do you think you can you do me a favor?” His gaze shifted to focus on Liv. Not that kind of favor, so don’t freak out or anything. Des is just MIA, we’re about to go on, and we need someone to play guitar. Your idiot boyfriend’s too dumb to ask, so...” He let his voice trail off into a laugh, offering a weak, if not vaguely exasperated, smile.

MAMMAMIA

manëskin

♡coded by uxie♡

Andrew Evernight

• mood

Young, Dumb, Free

Zero to one hundred. He hadn't expected her to say yes. He had expected her to make a comment or two before storming off back to the party. Something about how her grades were better than his or possibly a comment about how, despite his disagreements with his family, he still showed up to each new year with obvious signs of wealth decorating his figure.

His family situation was, in a word, complicated. Yes, he still inwardly hated them and wanted nothing to do with them. Yes, they were constantly condescending and disappointed that he neglected the use of the dark arts. But they both had a mutual dependency on Andrew succeeding at Nightshade, and so both parties put their differences aside and tried to make certain that Andrew Evernight would pass through Nightshade with flying colors. The eldest male heir to the Evernight estate? Of course he was going to Nightshade! Problems? No! He was going with all the support of ever past Evernight; he would pass and be wildly successful just like all the others before him!

Well he had been passing, but not with flying colors. Andrew was clever, smart even, but he preferred to sneak in and around the rules rather than follow them and get good grades. Far too many times he was sitting in front of the head disciplinarian for something that he may or may not have done. No I didn't summon a wild stallion in the cafeteria. No I didn't trap that first year in a mirror maze. What's a weed, some kind of killer plant?

They had been good times, made even funnier when letters were written home. Short of murdering a student(yes, he had been accused of summoning a manticore as well), Andrew would be hard pressed to believe his parents cut his funding and allow the school to kick him out. They had a great influence with the school, and there were none too many that wanted to start a feud with the Evernights.

But...she had done none of the above. She hadn't insulted him and left; instead she asked him a deeply personal question that, in all honesty, he never thought he'd hear from anyone.

What's the Lunarsphere like?

The Lunarsphere. A strange parallel dimension only tied to the prime material plane by the moon. A nightmarish place that few could see, much less enter. Andrew was one of the few people able to enter it, for a time, and over the past three years he had worked tirelessly to hone it into a science. He had grand successes and spectacular failures, figuring out shortcuts and learning which things to avoid. In the several years he had studied and tested his access to the Lunarsphere, he learned theserules:

1. Never enter the Lunarsphere on a moonless night
2. Never say your full name near a portal to, or within the Lunarsphere. It is best to avoid saying your full name on a Moonless Night
3. All Portals out of the Lunarsphere spin counter-clockwise. Never exit a portal spinning clockwise
4. If you see yourself at any point in the Lunarsphere, leave immediately.
5. Never turn your back on a Lunarsphere portal

These things he had learned through trial and error. Through the few written works that existed. Through narrowly escaping with his life. Through the strange, guiding voice of Pollux. The Lunarsphere was something he never spoke of, mostly because people didn't want to hear about it. Only a Celestial would have a chance at entering on their own merit, and even then there were few people with an attunement to the Lunarsphere. Though Andrew drew power from the nightmarish plane often, it was a terrifying place that got his heart racing unlike anything he'd ever experienced.

And James Hastings was curious about it. Why?

He had wondered if she had an attunement to the plane at all, being born on the same day he was and under a twin star. He had once opened a small portal above her, the first one being below the drinking fountain, just to see if she could close the portal or enter it. She had gotten wet and thrown a book at him, but otherwise he had seen nothing to indicate her curiosity.

He realized he had been silent for too long. He was staring at her, his face barely lit by the burning roll in his hand. He opened his mouth to speak, but found no words forming. Silence took hold of the small clearing...

"Only took you three years to start asking the right questions." He finally said, breaking the silence. "And you start with that one."

What was it like? Should he tell her the good parts? The terrifying parts? The truth? Should he show her first hand?

"I don't really like to smoke, all that much." He was shocked by his own honesty, wondering why these words chose to pour from his mouth. "But it helps me see the Lunarsphere without being inside it. It's nothing like...." He paused, not knowing what else to say.

"Do you know where the moon goes when it is no longer in our sky?" Stupid question. Of course she knew, or she wouldn't have asked about it. "There's no way to tell you. Anything I say will be wrong." He bit back the next few words.

He wanted to say "let me show you". He wanted to tell her all about it- the first person who would really understand what he saw in his dreams every night. What haunted his nightmares.

But he couldn't.

He took one more large breath, before releasing a large smoke ring that floated up towards the sky. It circled the moon, glowing as white and beautiful as the moon herself.
He tossed the bud on the ground and stomped it out.

"You took too long, it's out." He said in a half whisper. "Shall we join this lame-ass party?"

risk

fkj

desirae.

• mood

what the fuck.

Desirae had never paused to consider how she’d die, in her eighteen years of life. But never would she have imagined she would be ripped apart by a hellhound, it’s razor sharp claws leaving even your soul in tatters.

But here she was, the beast’s mouth inches from her face. She could feel it’s breath beating against her face as a single line of drool made its way down the corner of its mouth. It was hot, burning, threatening to peel the skin from her face and leave something unrecognizable behind.

“You going to have to shift,” Esme urged from out of sight, fear lacing her voice.

“I can’t,” she snapped as terror froze her to the spot, her body utterly useless as she willed herself to move, to shift, to do anything to prevent the death that was sure to come in a few moments.

Des didn’t hear anything else her roommate said as she went deaf, her limbs turned to stone as the Hellhound took a few steps back.

Des closed her eyes as it lunged towards her, hoping that her death would be quick, if nothing else.

She’d never get to tell her father she was sorry.

“Run,” Esme yelled, and Des opened her eyes to see the beast held in place mere inches from where she lay. Esme didn’t hVe to say it twice.

She slipped into the rain slick forest, stubbing her toes on rocks and roots as her eyes adjusted to the dark. But she kept moving ahead—curving down and away from the overgrown path.

She’d lost Esme some moments ago, the natural speed and agility granted to her by her heritage making her much faster than her human roommate.

In the distance behind her, as low hanging sticks whipped past her skin, leaving red welts in their wake, she heard a muffled thud and with a muttered curse Desirae turned on her heel and sprinted back the way she had come.

Esme lay on the ground, foot tangled in some root that had blended in too well to see. Des skidded to a stop, throwing a hand out to the raven haired junior to help her up.

A look Des couldn’t place filled Esme’s eyes and the second it took to decide whether or not to accept the help was enough for the Hellhound to catch up, its weight barreling into Des and sending her flying, tumbling away from Esme. When the movement stopped she suddenly became very aware of a burning in her right arm, and she looked over to see the Hellhound’s claw piercing her skin, holding her in place. Tears welled in her eyes as scalding hot drool dropped onto her face.

So this was really it.

She wasn’t ready to die.

Esme tried and failed to cast a spell to get the wolf off, the fire going out harmlessly on its thick fur.

A tear rolled down Desirae’s face.

And then, the manticore was gone and she was back on her feet, running faster than she’d ever run before, tears still streaming down her face and blood pouring from her arm.

She could make out the trees, some larger rocks, but the slope was steep. She kept her feet under her, even as undergrowth cracked behind, faster and faster.

She didn’t dare take her focus off the trees and rocks as she hurtled down the slope, desperate for any flat ground. Perhaps its hunting territory ended somewhere—perhaps they could outrun it until dawn. She veered to the left, still going downhill, and grabbed on to a trunk to swing herself around, almost losing her balance as she slammed into something hard and unyielding.

A wall of rock. With a groan, Des rubbed at her face, motioning to Esme in the near blackness. The mouth of a cave loomed in front of her, partially hidden by the brush around them.

“There’s a cave here,” she whispered, wincing as the sound of her blood dripping into the stone floor echoed. “I…don’t know if it’s enough to hide us, but I’m hurt.”

She sighed, meeting Esme’s eyes.

“I didn’t want to die.”

Cherry Hill

Russ

♡coded by uxie♡

Last edited:

shiloh.

• mood

excited, kinda shy??

Shiloh nodded in understanding. “That’s okay,” she said. “I get it. Today was stressful for me too.” The transition from being homeschooled under her mother’s watchful eye to attending a school full of magical teenagers like herself was a drastic one. It was a lot to take in at once, but she didn’t hate the change; it was nice being around people her age again, even if they were mostly strangers for the time being.

An uneasy quiet settled between them, not because they were uncomfortable but rather neither party knew what to say. They were still new, becoming acquainted with each other, with what was okay to talk about and what wasn’t. Shiloh’s sneaker-clad feet shifted on the pine straw as she racked her brain for something to break the silence, but luckily, Aspen beat her to the chase.

“I’d like to try one, yeah,” Shiloh answered, smile returning, albeit it was much shyer now. Was that a lame thing to admit? That implication that she’d never had alcohol before surely wouldn’t go unnoticed by Aspen, but if he knew anything about her family, it would’ve been enough to excuse her inexperience, right? Speaking of family, hopefully Malachi wasn’t close enough to overhear…

Before Shiloh had time to question it further, though, Aspen was flashing her a grin that had a blush slowly creeping onto her cheeks—hopefully, it was too dark to notice—as her hand slipped into his, and she followed him toward the crowd.

When the two came to a stop, surrounded by jostling bodies and loud voices, Shiloh and Aspen stood face-to-face, close enough that they could hear each other above the noise. Big hazel eyes scanned Aspen’s for a brief moment before fluttering downward as the boy leaned even closer, mouth directed at her ear.

Shiloh bit back a giggle at the way Aspen’s words tickled her skin, gaze trailing over his shoulder to the stage that had been set up across the way. There were two guys there, one of them leaving (who she didn’t recognize), and the other, a taller blond that she’d seen practically glued to a pretty vampire’s side earlier in the day, she assumed to be Axel, as that fit perfectly into what she considered girlfriend-boyfriend behavior.

“I guess I came here at a good time, then, huh?” Shiloh mused. She’d never had the pleasure of seeing live music before—another thing to add to her long list of missing adventures due to her mother’s belief that nothing good could ever come out of a concert for a girl her age. With the way the night was going so far, though, by the end of it, she wouldn’t have much of a bucket list left, but Shiloh couldn’t complain. This was the most fun she’d had in a while.

“Drink. Right.” Shiloh’s gaze shifted to where the drink table sat nearby on their left. “You’re gonna have to help me with this,” she admitted, keeping close to Aspen as the pair crossed the short distance so as not to get separated in the throng of people. “I don’t know what’s good yet.”

elevator

blu detiger

♡coded by uxie♡

James.

• mood

anxious

James watched as ten different emotions crossed Andrew's face in a matter of seconds. For the first time since she met him, Andrew Evernight was... pensive. That was perhaps the best way she could describe it. Beneath the silver glow of moonlight, the usual smug grin he wore on his face was replaced by furrowed brows and a distant stare.

This only piqued her curiosity further and she found herself leaning in as he spoke. But several vague explanations tossed in between disjointed sentences later, she still had learned nothing and he had conveniently decided to walk away.

She blinked once. Twice. Confused by his abrupt exit. "Wait," She instinctively called out. "You said it yourself, the moon is ripe for watching. You can take other people into the Lunarsphere, can't you? So, take me." The challenge hung in the air between them like a loaded gun waiting to be fired. In all honesty, she wasn't quite sure where she was going with this but she wasn't about to back down now.

"Or is Andrew Evernight afraid and actually going to walk away?"

once upon a time

toby fox

♡coded by uxie♡

Last edited:

Esmeralda Hearthstone

• mood

worried --> annoyed... ish

She wasn’t sure how she didn’t lose sight of Des. But she’s glad she didn’t because Esme didn’t see the opening of the cavern– yet another supernatural perk werewolves had. Her roommate gestured for her to follow and she did.

The cavern wasn’t as big as she would’ve hoped. Desirae had muttered something but the voice had overpowered hers enough that Esmeralda couldn’t make out anything that she mentioned.

It’s coming. You’re not safe here.

As she overlooked the entrance of the cavern, Desirae's words finally broke through.

“I didn’t want to die.”

Furrowed brows and an amber gaze set upon Des. Her eyes flickering an indiscernible emotion. “You weren’t going to die.” Esme said nonchalantly.

“... I would’ve figured something out.” She finished and tore her gaze away from the older girl.

Des shouldn’t have followed her.

Esme couldn’t wrap her head around it. A manticore and a hellhound? What was a hellhound doing on the mortal plane? She approached the entrance of the cavern and started muttering an incantation in latin.

The only sounds in the cave were her own voice and the slight drippings she assumed was water from a leftover storm that hadn’t dried out yet. A low hum started and disappeared as quickly as it was heard. A purple glint of a barrier formed around the entrance and seemingly disappeared.

“It’s a cloaking spell.” Esme explained, a tone of uncertainty to her voice. She wasn’t entirely sure if the spell had worked but questioning her magic in a time like this wasn’t a good idea. It’d only cause her a deeper sense of worry.

"If the Manticore passes by, he won't see us, just an empty cave, now if he enters it..." Esme cut herself short when her gaze followed the trail of blood that led to Des who found a spot against the cavern wall.

“...You’re hurt.” Esme approached and crouched beside her but the trail beside Des was… completely dry.

Something else must’ve holed up in here– and since the cave just had an eerie tone and a stale smell of fresh rain… it was a welcome relief they didn’t have to deal with a dead animal or worse.

Normally she would’ve been worried something predatory was around– but they would’ve seen it by now considering the size of this place. “Are you hurt anywhere else?” Esme slid the bag off her shoulder and began to shift through it. A few old receipts, crumpled up paper, chapstick…

There wasn’t anything in here remotely useful. “Why am I not surprised?” She muttered to herself and the tomb slid out of the bag. Brown eyes met Des’s but Esme didn’t say anything on the matter– especially when she noticed the flask underneath it.

She untwisted the cap and gently took ahold of her arm. “Don’t ask.” Esme said, referring to the Pericardium. The last thing she needed was a useless werewolf running around campus saying she knew who’d taken the tomb from the archives.

When Des opened her mouth to speak, Esme poured the liquor against her wound– resulting in the werewolf hissing in pain. “We’ll need to stop the bleeding long enough for you to heal.” It was a deep gash– deep enough that her body wasn’t going to make up for it in seconds.

Esme reached for the hem of her own sweater. Ignoring the shiver that caused her to grit her teeth. She was left in a tank-top and her reflection in the flask beside her had shown Esme worse for wear.

A light scratch was above her cheek– dirt and grunge apparent from her fall earlier before. Esme wrapped the sweater against Des’s arm tightly, the older girl’s arm still in her hands when she spoke. “You can heal right? Or is that another thing you just can’t do?”

Bottom of the barrel, remember?

Esme fought to keep their gazes locked when Des averted her own.

“Is there a reason why you can’t shift or are you just shy?”

spit in my face!

ThsSoMch

♡coded by uxie♡

Ezrael M. Hearthstone

• mood

???

At Veronika’s last comment, everything in Ezra narrowed into a tiny pinpoint of focus. He hadn’t expected her to agree to go. And he hated that he was secretly pleased.

The noodles on his plate had been finished moments before, and not knowing what else to do, Ezra stood, taking another swig from his cup before scooping his plate off the table and making eye contact with Veronika.

“Are you done?” he asked, arm stretched out to take her dish. When she nodded he grabbed it and turned to the kitchen, where he placed them in the sink, giving him a few moments to think of what to say next.

What happened, cat got your tongue? the same incessant shadow teased, and he rolled his eyes, hoping the water pouring from the faucet was enough to muffle what it had said.

“I’ve got to change too,” he said, shutting off the water and crossing the room to his closet, grabbing his cup off of the table as a last minute thought. He looked over his shoulder at Veronika, and then shook his head, shutting the door to the wall in space behind him.

What was that about?

“Nothing, don’t worry about it,” he grumbled, leafing through the various shirts that hung neatly on their hangers. Everything in his closet was meticulously organized, by style and color, his shoes neatly stacked on a shelf besides them.

He didn’t want to keep Veronika waiting for too long, so he grabbed the first shirt, a black crewneck, and tossed it over his head before opting for a pair of loose fitting blue jeans and a few accessories to match.

Esme could suck it. He had plenty of style.

He exited the closet and returned to the table, his drink finished, and smiled at the brunette who’d been waiting. “Alright then, let’s go get you changed and go to this party.”

risk

fkj

♡coded by uxie♡

Last edited:

Andrew Evernight

• mood

Young, Dumb, Free

He stopped dead in his tracks. Silence built up around them, a silence so great that you could chew it up and spit it out. He turned around.

He assumed it would be fairly simple to dodge and deflect the issue, but it seemed she was determined. Andrew knew only too well how James could get when she set her mind to something; an annoying mix of awe-inspiring determination mixed with an infuriating dose of stubbornness. In this case, he felt that she was leaning heavily on the latter bit.

She really wanted to go, huh? She had to challenge him, challenge his pride. She wanted to see the Lunarsphere, in all of its "glory." He had taken people into the realm before, but only a few times. While none of the times ended very well, he had learned a great deal about the realm he drew his powers from. Each time he brought someone into the Lunarsphere he tried to do it on a night where the moon was smaller than it was the previous time. He had brought someone in on a full moon, though they were just horrified and pretended the whole thing was a fever dream.

The second time he had done it a few days before the full moon, then a few more. This would be the smallest moon he had ever tried to harness in order to bring multiple people into the Lunarsphere. How would it turn out? He had a feeling it would be easier with James, but could he risk it?

Or is Andrew Evernight afraid and actually going to walk away?

She had to do it. Had to invoke his pride, bring fear into it. She wanted to go in? She wanted to see what he saw? His eyes narrowed to dangerous slits.

"Fine." He snarled. "Fine. Fine! Of all the nights to make this a...It only took you three years to build up the courage!" He threw his hands in the air and trudged back to the center of the clearing. He allowed silence to swallow them back up before taking a deep breath and closing his eyes.

He listened-hard. He strained his ears for something he couldn't place, like trying to remember a long forgotten song when he only knew a few words. It was still for a minute, then two, then five. Finally he picked up on a faint tune that called him from millions of miles away.

He opened his eyes and looked around, going from the moon, to the ground, to James, and back to the moon again. Finally his gaze fixed upon the shadow of a rock, and his eyes caught a feverish glint. He bore his semi-insane look into the ground, silently mouthing something in a strange language.

Finally, he stopped mouthing. His gaze softened and a small smile lit up his face, like the look one would get if they were remembering the name of an old friend. He cupped his hands together and breathed a single word.

The wind picked up, and shadows fell away from the moonlit area and seemed to form a wall around them. The Moon seemed brighter, almost dazzling, as a small, shimmering ring about 6 feet in diameter began to glow on the ground before rising up and facing Andrew like a mirror of molten silver. An eerie, inhuman song echoed from within the strange, two dimensional disk. Purple and black swirls of energy rotated counter clockwise around the ring, and if one went to the other side they'd find them turning clockwise. Bits of energy radiated out of the swirling portal. Andrew breathed a sigh of relief.

"Well Hastings." He said with a moonlit grin. "Time to put your money where your mouth is." He held out his hand, and despite the glimmering moonlight his pupils had seemed to dilate even more.

In fact is one looked close enough they'd see they weren't just dialated- the whites of his eyes were completely gone.

risk

fkj

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back