• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern Night’s Embrace | Private |

Rose forced herself to blink a few times as her steps made their way to the bed. Normally she would’ve hated just how tired she was feeling at that moment, but it would be a rather helpful thing for her to sleep that evening. It might even be enough to keep her nightmares away. While that was wishful thinking, the thoughts filled her with hope. She truly didn’t want to experience one again with him by her side. It was worrisome enough that she had them as regularly as she did. She didn’t want to have his concern over her well-being growing more than it already was. She worried that she might cause the young lord a heart attack with how much he seemed to worry over her as of late. That familiar pang of guilt rose in her chest, but she was quick to shove it aside. She knew she shouldn’t focus on such a thing now.

She was rather surprised that he hurried to pull the sheets back for her, gaze softening as she watched him do so. A soft smile tugged at her lips while she slowly laid down and got herself comfortable beneath them. She was surprised by the softness of his bed, the sheets hugging her in a way that he normally did. His familiar scent washed over her the moment that she laid down. Her shoulders began to relax as she laid beneath them. “Thank you.” She finally murmured once he carefully covered her with the sheets and comforter. Her eyes stayed on him for that moment, only then taking in the way that his torso had healed. It would’ve shocked her but now that she knew of the magic he possessed, anything could be possible. All that remained were darker marks on this skin. She was rather relieved about that. She didn’t care if he had any extra scars. She only wanted for him to be alright.

She allowed for him to grab hold of her hand, the gentle tracing on the back of it a greater comfort than she could’ve imagined. She shifted in the bed to allow herself to get more comfortable, turning her head to gaze at him beside her for a few moments. “Goodnight Emory.” She whispered. She shifted once more to face him before her eyes slowly shut. It didn’t take long before she drifted off into sleep once again. Unlike earlier, the nightmares had returned. This one was different in the others in a way she couldn’t describe. The former in her mind felt worse and everything felt real. She was in Freycrest once more, though she wasn’t in the building this time. Her body was shaking from the cold, the air frigid as more snow began to fall. She tried to take steps forward. Each step she tried, her feet seemed to be sinking deeper into the snow.

She could hear someone coming towards her, whipping her head around to see just who it was. But there was no one. Her vision began to blur as the snow continued to pile up. She struggled to shove away from the ground, to do anything that she could’ve. Slowly everything went dark. When it brightened again, she found herself beneath the mage’s create. It growling gently with drops of saliva falling from its lips. It lunged onto her without any hesitation. Normally she would’ve woken by that point. Her deaths in her dreams were usually the breaking point. Tonight was different. She found herself in a carriage. She turned her head to look out the small window of it, though there was just fog surrounding them. When she looked forward once more, the bloodied corpse of Ludovic was in front of her. This is all your fault. It hissed, the words surrounding her completely. You will pay for what you have done!

Her breath began to speed up, finding the air more suffocating to breath. It was only in that moment that her eyes finally snapped open. It took her longer than she would’ve liked to realize that she was in Emory’s room, laying beside the other male. She took rather deep breath to try to calm herself, though it was to no avail. Her body was shaking as she laid there.

As Rose settled to get comfortable beside him, Emory kept his attention fully on her, never once allowing a lapse in his attentiveness. Her soft whisper made his expression gentle, easing away some tension that had begun to cross his face, "Goodnight." Soon, Rose would settle into sleep, and Emory would be her silent guardian, examining her features for any sort of strain or fear. The eerie silence had perhaps made such close scrutiny make him on a bit more on edge, granted he knew better that a nightmare wouldn't immediately grab onto her mind. No, all he could do was wait. Sleep eventually claimed the woman beside him, the soft sound of her breathing feeling odd for him to hear in his usually quiet room, although he certainly didn't stop his gentle soothing circling upon the back of her hand, it didn't take him too long for him to slowly find himself growing more concerned as her breathing quickened.

Before he could move to possibly wake her, Rose had already been startled awake, her quickened breathing loud in his ears, body trembling in the grasp of fear. He moved, sitting up in his spot as he released her hand and drew her close, pulling her into a tight embrace as he murmured, "I'm here." Reassurance was the only thing he could give her, he didn't know what else to do. It wasn't as if he was an expert on helping someone after experiencing a nightmare, for he never had anyone there to help ease away his terror. But, that wouldn't stop him from trying to soothe her, even if she didn't go to back to sleep anytime soon, at the very least allowing her to know that he was at her side still was perhaps better than nothing at all. However, even as he was taking his time to allow Rose to relax, part of him felt frustration, but only directed at himself. If only he didn't allow Rose to leave his sight, if only he had been strong enough to get up and prevent her from leaving, or even better if he'd been able to deal with the problem himself; this would have never happened. She would have never had to go through this.

It made a sickened feeling coil in his stomach. Who else would pay dearly for his failures? He didn't want to entertain the thought further, less he'd fall into a pit of self-loathing, that wasn't necessary right now when Rose was his priority. I'm sorry. His grip tightened around her, hand settling upon her back to rub comforting circles upon it as he closed his eyes, I won't fail again. A claim that he knew would be easier said than done, perhaps it would have been easier for him to not feel as if he'd failed if he hadn't cared about Rose at all. Opening his heart up to her had only thrown him deeper into an anxious pit, and even if he knew it would have spared him so much grief if he'd simply cast her away and dulled his emotions once more, it wouldn't be too easy for him to do it again. To be motivated on the behalf of another person was foolish, but maybe he was becoming a fool. "..I'm here.." He repeated the two words again, still holding on to her as tightly as he could without hurting her.

Rose hadn’t expected for the other male to be awake when the nightmare startled her out of her sleep. She thought she would just end up cuddling closer to Emory, fighting every instinct in herself to fall asleep until she calmed down once more. Her nights were usually a cycle of this. She would experience those dreaded dreams, force herself awake, and then doze back off only to have it happen again. She heard the shuffling sounds of movement from beside her, turning her head to see him sitting up. Her eyes were wide, still holding the terror that the dream cause for her to feel. She didn’t fight against him pulling her into his arms. Instead she leaned into him, savoring the warmth that he radiated. It almost felt as if she was still stuck in the snow in Freycrest. Her bones were aching from the cold that she had been in. She couldn’t place if it was just something in her mind or if it was actually real.

She closed her eyes for a few moments, arms sliding to wrap around his waist. Her own grip on him was rather tight and her body still trembled. His whispered reassurances did help as she forced herself to focus on what was currently around her. She knew that she was safe in the mansion, safe beside Emory. She could feel the sheets still touching her legs. The soft silk was a comforting feeling. She shifted her mind towards the young lord holding her then. His grip was tight around her, though she didn’t mind. It was more of a comfort than she could say. It was almost like a security blanket and she wouldn’t dare try to pull away from him. The gentle patterns he traced on her back eased the tension in her shoulders. She cycled her mind through each thing, a habit she learned from her mother when she was younger and had night terrors.

She rested her head gently against his chest, the sound of his heart beat calming her even more. It didn’t take much longer before her breath had even back out. Her trembling was mostly gone, only slightly noticeable now. “Thank you.” She mumbled. Her voice was strained and held the whirlwind of emotions her mind had been going through. “I’m sorry,” She paused, knowing he probably would scold her for apologizing. “I didn’t mean to wake you if I had.” She added after a few moments. While she was still rather exhausted, she knew that she shouldn’t try falling back to sleep just yet. She needed to truly find a way to remove her mind from the situation. “Did you manage to get your work done today? I missed dinner so I did not get a chance to ask you then.” She asked quietly, not moving in his arms. Her own grip was still rather tight around him.

As Rose clung to him, Emory grew still, not desiring to move too quickly or move away from her grasp. The silence passing between the two would go unbroken for a few moments, until Rose's breathing had begun to even out, the gentle pressure of her head against his chest had caused his grip on her to relax, feeling that he'd might be holding her a bit too tight. Her gratitude he found was unnecessary, followed by her apology. It wasn't her fault for having nightmares, and the faintest, wavering smile crossed his face in response. "You should know better that I don't sleep much, if at all." It wasn't a lie, after all the young lord suffered from nightmares himself, although with much luck they hadn't haunted him for a few weeks. Perhaps it was because he'd been exhausted and on the brink of death which prevented him from suffering from his usual nightmares. Rose also was a pleasant distraction that had kept him from sinking too much into his own thoughts for too long. Luckily enough, he only had letters to deal with today so that he would be able to be at her side, otherwise the Black Market would be soon to beckon to him again, drawing him away during the night. The only reason why he'd not been called upon was his investigation, as well as dealing with Demelza, otherwise he'd probably have to expect Laurence Barker to call upon him eventually again. The thought made his mood dampen, but he pushed it aside from now.

At her question, Emory had nodded his head, "Yes, I did. I finished most of it earlier today, so the rest didn't take me too long. Unfortunately, there still hasn't been a reply from Avrune yet, but the local lords have responded that they've been on high alert." He paused, then added, "Though, I did miss dinner as well." His gaze turned to the nearby window, lost in thought for a few seconds only to look down at Rose once more, realizing perhaps that talking would keep her mind off of her recent nightmare, he hesitated, attempting to think of a topic that wouldn't be doom and gloom, or tied to her nightmares. Pleasant topics would be preferred, and avoiding talking about his work would be preferred, after all Emory's work was never pleasant, always dealing with blood or gore... that couldn't possibly be good to put her at ease. Plus, he wanted to avoid making her terrified of him.

Ah, right. Perhaps talking about her family would do? Diverting her attention to her goals for the future would probably be the best for now, no need to linger upon the past. "Are you looking forward to seeing your father and sisters again?" Although Emory cared not for the royal family, he did suppose he would have to be at least somewhat cordial toward them due to the upcoming ball. And considering the royal family did gather at such public events, he could imagine Rose certainly would be looking forward to it. His hand had then gently moved to the back of her head, lightly curling his fingers within her hair, "I imagine it has been quite some time since you've seen them, haven't you?" Though, at this moment in time Emory was trying to keep his tone as gentle as possible, trying to keep his tone soothing. Granted, he wouldn't be against talking about himself either, even if he found that there was nothing particularly interesting about himself or matters concerning his past or his duty.

Rose tilted her head up to glance towards Emory’s face for a moment before resting it back where it had been moments before. The gentle sound of his heart beating was enough to help keep her calm and the talking was a welcome distraction. “You truly need the rest though. If I am to rest, so are you.” She murmured. Her mind was always concerned for the other male, especially now that she knew of his headaches and the other things that could be plaguing his mind. She couldn’t imagine just how terrible the things that he decided to hide from her were. Everything that she had been told by then had already been enough to feel intense amounts of pity and guilt. She couldn’t believe that he had been through all he had and was still standing as strong as he was today. It was one of the reasons she admired him, admired his strength. She didn’t know if she had told him that before. She knew she should soon though.

“That’s good.” Her initial response was soft as she shifted to sit a bit straighter in his arms. “I hope that the letter arrives in Avrune soon enough. They might already be aware of who he is and could handle it. I am sure my father would not fight them if they were to come do so.” She confessed. She believed it would be good for the two nations to establish a proper connection. It would most likely prevent something such as this from ever occurring again. The trade would be good as well. She hoped her father would believe the letter that she wrote on Emory’s behalf. It was imperative that he did. The mention of Emory not having dinner that night surprised her some, though she knew it wasn’t the first time that he skipped a meal in order to focus on his duties. “Are you hungry? I am sure that I could prepare us something if you are: I have been meaning to show you my new skills from while you were aware and while Viola was on leave.” She inquired. It would just be another thing to help ease her mind from what she just experienced. After all, she doubted she would want to sleep much the rest of the night.

She opened her mouth to speak at the mention of seeing her family once again, closing it for a moment and biting down on her bottom lip. The prospect of it was something that she had been looking forward to for years, even before she came to Emory’s estate. “I am. I have missed them dearly. I am sure the news of my death has been hard on them.” She spoke truthfully, her tone growing quieter then. Her father always told her she was the spitting image of her mother. She couldn’t imagine the anguish of him believing he lost her after the manner in which her mother died. The touch to her hair helped ease her mind more, her body visibly relaxing. “It has been years. Blaine never allowed for me to visit and I was never to accompany him to any of my family’s gatherings. I thought I might never see them again.” She realized. Emory had given her an incredible amount of freedom. She could never repay him for that. “I know you and my father have a strained relationship but he will forever be indebted to you for saving my life, just like I will be. Words cannot express my gratitude for everything you have done for me Emory.”

"I am resting, it's not as if I'm out and about," He countered, although he knew enough what she actually meant. He closed his eyes and sighed, "Besides, you need more rest than I do. It's more difficult for me to sleep." Emory went still once more as Rose had shifted her position in his arms, allowing her to get comfortable once more before he would allow himself to relax again, "I hope so too, granted for diplomacy I'm fairly certain they would send some of their people over to deal with the mage. If they are indeed trying to establish trade connections, it would be in their best interest to do so sooner than later." His expression grew almost grim for a few moments, even if it seemed like the most likely of outcomes, there was no guarantee that they would send other mages after the madman. After all, no one knew the continent of Avrune, or how they operated in regards to threats that the mage provided. Perhaps it was better to remain optimistic than sinking into pessimistic thoughts.

At the mention of food, Emory's mind immediately turned back to the food that Viola had prepared earlier in the day, the flavorless mush, and the tasteless tea of which he could not even feel the heat despite it by all means being quite hot. His eyes closed as he shook his head at her, "No, not yet. Besides, I'm not hungry right now, don't worry too much about me." He gently ruffled the top of her head, a soft smile crossing his face, "But, I appreciate the offer." Hiding things again, but he didn't want her to worry too much for him. Even if he was sure it was nothing to worry about, a minor issue over not being able to taste anything or determine the heat of food wasn't an issue, he could ignore it and act normal. But, Emory was always the type to hide something until it became too difficult to lie about or explain away; a bad habit that he needed to break. However, one could blame just him being on his own for so long and only having himself to rely on for his fiercely independent nature. Better to deceive and pretend that everything was fine if only to protect himself, even from those who claimed to do him no harm.

As Rose began to talk about her family, Emory attentively listened although he knew not the extent of her familial attachment. He didn't quite understand her desire to see her family members, but considering her quieter tone regarding the topic, and with Blaine's attitude toward preventing her from seeing them and denying her that choice, it made Emory release an annoyed sigh. There was no point to restricting Rose's freedom, but considering Blaine's attitude toward Rose as nothing but the means to an end with bearing children, he didn't want to think of the foul man's hands on her, or the amount of lies he probably told Rose's family to prevent them from inquiring about her absence. "...I'll make sure to give you the time that you need, you have a lot of catching up to do if that is the case." He forced his tone to be relaxed, nonchalant, but the more he learned of Blaine's actions toward Rose, the more he fostered the festering anger brewing inside. Granted, the only thing he understood was a desire for freedom, one right that had been denied from him for years until he forced the world to bow at his feet to give it to him. He would not take that freedom from Rose, not unless there was no other alternative if her life was in danger.

Regarding Rose's father, Emory chuckled, "Well, I'll certainly enjoy dangling that over his head for the rest of his life." The idea of having the king indebted to him was such a victorious feeling, granted it didn't matter too much to him at this moment. Rose's happiness was his priority, though her words of thanks had made the man's face flush slightly, a hand coming to playfully cover her mouth, "No more gratitude, please." The embarrassed expression upon his face was quite endearing as he looked away, mumbling, "It's making me embarrassed. Besides, it wasn't as if I was protecting you at first out of the kindness of my heart." Guilt settled in his chest as he moved his hand away from her mouth, "...I was only using you, and I had every intention of tossing you if you became a liability. Do not forget that I'm not... that I wasn't doing anything for your benefit at first." That was right, he had looked upon her as nothing more but a useful pawn that happened to fall into his lap. He didn't even view her as a person, he didn't even care what Blaine had done to her. All he thought was she had been odd, puzzling and very, very bizarre. He had no intentions of allowing her to draw close to him, never had any intention of her to see such embarrassing sides to him... and yet he was glad that his curiosity had won out over his usual cold nature.

He closed his eyes, pushing the thoughts and guilt aside. No need to linger on it for much longer, which made him immediately turn the topic back to her family again, "Are you close to your siblings?" Emory wouldn't probably understand the closeness she had for her four elder sisters, for his own relationship with his now deceased half-siblings was never good. Thinking about it, did he even hesitate when he slaughtered the two? No. I didn't. A tiny frown crossed his face at the thought, a chill settling upon his heart. He truly hadn't thought about them for so long, so it was odd for him to consider the two now.

Rose leaned her head back enough to look at him at his words, shooting him that familiar glare. It held no anger in it though. “Don’t be stubborn Emory. You know very well what I mean.” She grumbled. Her expression softened slightly at his explanation, knowing well that his words were true. “Once you do not feel the need to scold me for not resting, I want to try to find a solution to your restlessness. I feel terrible knowing that you aren’t able to sleep.” She spoke truthfully. This would probably be the only moment that she was glad he couldn’t sleep. She wasn’t ready to drift back off only to be woken again by her own terrors. The conversation was working well to help shift her mind from them though. “Indeed it would be. I hope no one else will be harmed by him before they do. These people don’t deserve it.” She confessed with a soft sigh.

She shifted once more when she found her legs were beginning to grow numb from the angle she had them. It was much easier to have her head resting on his shoulder while she basically sat on his lap. She hoped he wouldn’t mind, but knew he would move her if he did. She raised an eyebrow slightly at his assurance he didn’t want anything to eat at that time. Her own stomach was beginning to hurt from the lack of food. She assumed that he might just be used to skipping more meals as well. “Alright. If you do grow hungry, please just let me know and I will gladly make something. I doubt I will be getting too much more sleep tonight.” She mumbled. She much preferred to stay awake talking with Emory. These small moments they had together were her favorite. It felt as though it were only the two of them in the world and it was one of the only places her worries didn’t reach her.

A gentle smile tugged at the corner of her lips. “That will be wonderful. I would prepare to stay the evening after the hall at the castle. I know my father will want for us to catch up and there will not nearly be enough time during the evening. I am sure he would like to speak with you as well, once we assure him that you didn’t harm me. That is, if you would be alright spending one night there.” She wouldn’t force him to do anything that he wouldn’t like. She just knew her father well enough to know he would want to spend as much time with her as possible before she returned back to Emory’s territory. She hadn’t a clue what his reaction would be one he found out just where she had been for these past months. It could be a rage that they would be to extinguish. Maybe the king would be truly grateful to Emory for everything he has done for her. It wasn’t as if she would allow any harm to befall the young lord during their visit.

She was rather surprised when the hand came to cover her mouth, her eyes widening slightly though she understood his reasoning. “It is a terrible habit of mine and one that was instilled in me from a very young age. You cannot be too upset with me so wanting to show my gratitude. Consider it something a princess is required to do.” She explained once he removed his hand from her mouth and finished speaking. She could tell that he was beginning to grow uncomfortable with her constant words. She made a mental note to do her best to withhold from them for the time being. “I am well aware of that Emory. You had every opportunity to kill me from the moment I walked through the front door.” She brought a hand up to rest lightly on his chest, her index finger tracing small circles near his collarbone. “I was using you too, in a way. I wanted to work with you in order to ensure Blaine’s demise.” She reminded with a gentle shrugging of her shoulders.

She paused her movement at the question about her sisters. She blinked, letting out a gentle breath. “I am with Lyra and Elizabeth. Since Angeline and Viviane are the eldest, I never was able to spend much time with them in my childhood. Viviane married when I was three and moved to live with her husband. Angeline was being courted by the time I was seven. They were always kind to me though.” She explained. She missed Lyra and Elizabeth dearly. Lyra was the one who had been wary about her marriage to Blaine, working her hardest to convince her father not to go through with it. She couldn’t wait to see her at the ball. “Were you close with yours?” She knew of what he had done to his family, but was still rather curious to learn of his hatred for them.

Emory didn't allow himself to comment further on him get rest, the only indication of him acknowledging her trying to find a solution was a faint nod of his head and a tiny, if almost exasperated smile. She didn't need to try so hard on his behalf, and it wasn't as if he was without options. At that thought, his eyes shifted to the vial he had hidden within his dresser, put away to be out of sight and out of mind. He probably was still dependent on it as if it were like a crutch, a potent drug to induce unconsciousness, one that had been constantly increased in dosages over the years he'd taken it due to his body becoming resistant. If he wanted, he could take it now and fall asleep, but he'd much rather stay awake and continue keeping Rose company. He was well aware of her dislike of him relying too much on the sleeping aid, and he didn't really blame her whatsoever.

As he was about to respond to her regarding the mage, his body had stiffened and went absolutely still as she had repositioned herself, his breath catching in his chest as she soon was sitting on his lap, her head resting upon his shoulder. Her hair tickled his skin, her warmth mingling with his own, although he was adjusting to getting used to her touch... this was something that he wasn't thoroughly prepared for. It was only when he realized he'd went almost too still had the man forced himself to relax, she didn't put any fear into him, it was merely him being taken off guard, granted there was still tension in his muscles as he allowed her to relax, his skin tingling where her body pressed against him. The sensation alone was commanding most of his attention, which caused the man to be a bit distracted as she had begun to speak on matters with the king, forcing himself to focus on her words in regards to staying for a single night at the castle. This put a sour taste immediately in Emory's mouth.

A faint frown crossed his face as his eyebrows furrowed, mulling over the rather uncomfortable scenario. Of course, he was more than willing to allow Rose to stay for a night while he'd stayed elsewhere... but then again that would probably cause the king to feel insulted if he refused the man's hospitality, causing yet another topic of dissent between the two men, although it would be extremely minor compared to all the grudges the two shared against each other. But, if it made Rose happy, he could make the sacrifice... even if he dislike intensely being even a mere step inside the royal court. There were plenty of nobles who he knew for less than savory reasons, nobles that held dirt on Emory and wouldn't hesitate to speak snide comments just out of earshot, or look down upon him with undisguised contempt. It was why he stayed away from so many royal functions or public events, because the nobles still were enough to put just a tiny tinge of fear and shame into Emory's veins, and they didn't need to speak a single word directly to him. Of course, most other nobles who knew not of Emory's origins were terrified of the man and had caused the monstrous rumors in the first place that Emory gladly used like a shield, but the others who knew him such as Eunice and her inner circle... they weren't afraid of him, and they were numerous enough to be able to stain Emory's reputation further if they felt like it. Even if he had most of his freedom, as long as they still lived, he would always have a noose around his neck that they could yank at any time if he so much as try to turn and retaliate. The thought made a bit of sweat begin to appear upon his skin, however he quickly shook the cobwebs of fear from beginning to take hold. He couldn't run forever, and it wasn't as if he could hide from them at the ball either.

"Very well." He agreed, keeping his tone calm as he forced his expression into an impassive mask. Granted, such a mask would be quick to crumble as Rose had spoke further on her being a princess and expressing gratitude was merely part of her upbringing, causing color to tinge his face again as he looked away from her, "I know, but..." He trailed off, not finishing the sentence. Either he would have to get used to being thanked, or Rose would have to spare him from being flustered. However, he didn't want to make her change too much for him, even if being thanked was embarrassing, it wasn't as if it were negative. And then the conversation turned to how Rose was using him as well, though he supposed she had a point-

Ah... Goosebumps flowed over his skin as her index finger drew circles upon his collarbone, her hand feeling especially hot against his chest. If he wasn't aware that she was merely fidgeting, he would have thought that she was trying to seduce him. Shivers flowed up and down his spine, though he forced his expression to not change, remaining utterly still as his skin tingled underneath her touch, part of him wishing that he would have worn the tunic. This sensation only intensified as he could feel her breath against his skin, finally causing a bit of red to touch the tip of the man's ears, however through a mixture of willpower and focusing on the conversation at hand, he listened to her as she described her relationship with her siblings. Their names seemed familiar, although it was probably due to him briefly having to familiarize himself with the local lands and their ruling families during his childhood when he had finally been brought to the mansion. It was nice to know that all of Rose's sisters had treated her kindly... if they hadn't they would have received a visit from a rather terrifying Emory personally. Then, finally the conversation turned to his siblings, in which an odd smile finally crossed Emory's face as he laughed, though the laugh wasn't loud, rather quiet instead.

"I killed them, Rose. I don't think that we would be too close if I was capable of doing that." His expression was difficult to read for a few moments, finally moving his hand to grab hold of Rose's which was resting on his chest, moving her hand so that he could hold onto it, his fingers entwining with hers as he fidgeted, seemingly trying to gather his thoughts together. "Camdyn and Annice were my father's favorites; and by extension my mother's - they were twins, the first children he fathered and the only children born in his marriage to my mother." His tone was empty as he recounted the details, though remembering his elder sibling's names was a bit difficult, for he'd not spoken about them in years, "Since I was a bastard, born out of wedlock... well, I was automatically the black sheep when I finally was brought out of prostitution. Without an education, I was far behind them in everything, and they loved to gloat about it as well as remind me of my less than... savory background." A bitter smile crossed his face, remembering his sibling's eyes as they would look down upon him with undisguised contempt. Green like his mother's, the same disgust that she would look upon him with... It hurt.

He closed his eyes as he allowed the sensation, long lost in the years he'd locked the memories away. "Camdyn in particular was relentless," His fingers now were fidgeting a bit more with Rose's, as if nervous, anxious, "He was the type to listen to gossip, and with it not being a secret that my mother was a prostitute, he would repeat it to my face, reminding me that I was nothing more than dirt beneath his heel, striking at me when he felt like he could get away with it. Annice simply copied him, since she never thought for herself, she was weak willed and easily swayed and with Camdyn being so... outspoken, she was content to watch me suffer as long as she never would be punished, never inconvenienced. Not once I think, did either of them consider me their younger brother." He chuckled, his anxious movements stopping as he stared down at his hand holding Rose's, fingers trembling, "Camdyn also wasn't afraid to break bones either... but he was only emboldened due to the former Lord May having grown mad with my mother's unfaithfulness. Father's abuse was something to copy, and they made a game of it to make my life even more so of a living hell."

"It wasn't as if their actions went unnoticed either, but since no one cared about whether I lived or died, my suffering went on ignored and my mother turned a blind eye, showing those two with all of her affection, if only to save herself a bit from my father's madness..."
Emory blinked, a tinge of surprise filtering over his face as he realized he'd been recounting a bit too much, "Ah... I've not thought about them in so long, forgive me for rambling." He shook his head, forcing his expression to settle into calm once more, "I fear I come across as complaining, but if anything Camdyn and Annice were nothing but annoyances in my life. To say the least, I grew to hate them, but I never feared them."

Rose could immediately feel the way that Emory tended beneath her as she shifted to get more comfortable. She normally would immediately either apologize for it and move off of him or allow it to lead to something further. But this wasn’t the moment for another along those lines. She yearned for his comfort in that moment, especially with the conversations they were having. There were many things that she hadn’t thought of in quite a long time. It wasn’t as if the memories were terrible to think back on. They just provided her with an odd sense of longing for a place that hadn’t been her home in years. She hoped that she would be welcomed back with open arms, but worried that things just might not be the same. She allowed her eyes to close for a few moments in her best attempt to shove that thought aside. She knew it did no good dwelling on it now. She would find out soon enough when the spring ball occurred.

She opened her eyes in order to watch Emory’s expression at her words about spending a night in the castle. There wasn’t much of a change to the mask that he normally wore. She hadn’t a clue as to how he could hide his emotions so well. Even when she tried, everyone seemed to be able to read her like she was an open book, Emory especially. The young lord would be able to spot the smallest thing wrong with her by the twitch of her fingers. It amazes her each time he would mention something, though it didn’t upset her. She appreciated his observant nature. “I know that the situation is truly less than ideal and you would much rather have nothing to do with him. I can assure you that he will be grateful for you, even if he doesn’t outright show it.” She noted. The air would most certainly be awkward during their visit. She could already picture both Emory and her father sitting across from one another at the table the morning after, stoic expressions on display while they glared at one another.

The thought in itself was a rather amusing one and it caused for a faint smile to form on her lips. She didn’t believe that there would be any other trouble that night. Despite Emory’s background with her father and his court, she knew no one would dare step out of line on a day such as that. If they did, they would risk her father’s wrath. The night would be marked even more of a celebration due to her emergence back into society. The only damper that she believed would be an issue was Blaine. If the wretched man tried to make a run for it or attempted anything that would reflect on his rather stupid nature, he wouldn’t make it far. She wouldn’t be shocked if her father executed the man that night. Plotting to kill a princess after countless years of abuse and then lying about her death was high treason. She partly wished that she could be the person to do it. She wanted to watch the terrified look in his blue eyes, wanted to see the sweat dripping down his face and combining with his tears as he begged for life. She wanted to hear him beg, to plead for any ounce of mercy. Just like she had countless times before he struck her down and used her for his own gain.

She allowed a gentle breath to leave her now parted lips when she heard him trail off on the matter about her constantly expressing her gratitude. “I will work on not being as explicit with it. If anything, I might get you little gifts to show my appreciate. Is that something you might like? I would feel terrible if I did nothing at all.” She questioned, wanting to find a compromise to the situation that would work best for the both of them. The stubbornness of the two combined was a deadly thing and compromise was going to be the only option for when they were stuck in their ways. The air surrounding them shifted as the quiet laugh broke through the silence that had settled. She allowed for him to grab hold of her hand, eyes shifting to gaze at their entwined fingers for a few moments. She didn’t dare interrupt as he spoke about his siblings. It was only when he began to discuss the abuse that he received from his father and his siblings that she looked up towards him. Sympathy was clear by the softened green irises and slight frown that adorned her face.

She lifted her head once more once he finished speaking, her grip on his hand tightening. She gave it a few gentle squeezes in an effort to comfort him. Her expression hadn’t changed as she met his gaze. Her eyebrows furrowed more. She brought her free hand up to gently rest on his cheek, her thumb resting on his cheekbone. The facial hair he had tickled her palm, but she didn’t give any indication of the tingling feeling. “There is no reason for you to apologize Emory. I have said it many times before and I will repeat it now. I am always hear to listen whenever you would like to speak. You do not need to suffer the burden of what happened to you alone,” She paused as she leaned forward to place a soft peck to his lips. “While I may not be able to always offer the best advice, I do know that discussing them makes it much easier to process.”

“You truly are the strongest man I know, in more ways than one. I am proud of you for surviving. It mustn’t have been easy and I know you hold shame for your actions, but I am so incredibly proud of you.” She emphasized. She doubted that he would’ve been told such a phrase before, especially with what he had just revealed to her. “I cannot wait for you to meet Lyra. She is going to treat you like the brother we never had and the sister you deserved to have.” She confessed. Lyra was never the type to believe the rumors spread about someone. She would always wait to get to know someone before making her judgement. She supposed it was a trait similar to herself, now that she thought on it.

Emory felt... vulnerable. Vulnerability was something to be feared, something that he should not allow. Vulnerability allowed him to get hurt, vulnerability only served to make him suffer. Showing no emotion, no reaction would make his tormentors grow bored, so then he could escape with his life for another day; even if his dignity was replaced with nothing but shame, even if he had no pride left within him, he would be able to survive. Survive long enough to return and slaughter those who looked down upon him as if he were nothing but dirt. These were the lessons that life had given him, for it was a cruel and painful road that he had to suffer, and suffer alone. But, right now he was violating such lessons, throwing caution into the wind because he felt... safe? He could not identify the feeling that caused him to reveal so much, and yet so little of his torment, but safety was the only thing he could possibly place upon the feeling that settled in his chest, as well as the wave of nausea that came with the crushing anxiety due to digging up long lost memories, memories which was threatening to tear and burst at the seams.

Rose's sympathetic gaze felt almost like acid, and yet he silently bore it, unable to look her in the eyes as his fingers couldn't stop trembling. Why? No matter how much he desired to control the trembling digits, they refused to obey, as if they had a life on their own. Rose's gentle squeezes upon his hand did little to stop the trembling, and her touch upon his cheek had made the man flinch, only for him to grow still once more as she begun to speak. He hesitated, his throat feeling dry unable to utter a sentence in response as she placed a swift kiss upon his lips, though he lowered his gaze back to his trembling hands again, "...You don't need to..." Of course, she didn't need to, but the fact that she was willing had made a feeling swell up in the midst of the confused ball of emotions in his chest. It didn't feel pleasant, but at the same time it wasn't as if he pushed it away either. A tightening of his throat made alarm fill him from head to toe, immediately stifling the emotion before it could burst free as he tried again at finishing his sentence, "You don't need to listen to... all the gruesome details." He managed to force the sentence out, after all he was now barely clinging to his hard outer shell, one that he was desperate to keep. Was he about to cry? No, he needed to keep himself composed, calm.

And yet her words continued to tear more at the wall he was struggling to keep, panicking at the cracks beginning to show in his armor. His jaw clenched as his eyes began to feel like they were burning. It hurt, and yet... to finally hear that someone was proud, even if he was sure it was a lie... it was a lie that broke his armor. His composure slipped, anguish causing his controlled facial muscles to twitch, but for once a tear had managed to slip. And then another. He did not sob, for he would not permit himself to, but the tears fell silently down his face as he closed his eyes, feeling the pain beginning to swell in his chest. How long had he yearned for this? Was he still the scared child he had been all those years ago? Desperate for any sort of acknowledgement of him existing, acknowledgment that he was in pain, that he could be loved, that someone cared... that he wasn't only a monster. Silence greeted Rose's words in regards to Lyra, eventually resulting in a shaky sigh leaving his lips, struggling to keep himself from drowning in the emotions raging out of control inside him, though his voice was shaky, "I would certainly hope so, but forgive me if I find that... hard to believe until I meet her personally." After all, his own siblings tainted the thought of family, or even reaching out to others. Opening up to Rose in of itself was hard enough, and he could feel nothing but shame settle deep within him at his weakness that she seemed to quite perfectly poke at, drawing tears from a dry shell of a man.

Clearing his throat, the man raised a hand to hastily wipe away the dampness from his cheeks, though his eyes still stung with unshed tears, he refused to allow more of the little traitors to fall. He already felt vulnerable enough, showing a disgraceful side of himself yet again. His mind cast back to her offer of giving him little gifts, in which the man had closed his eyes again as he placed a soft kiss upon Rose's forehead, "..Now, as for earlier, I require nothing from you. I just want you to be happy, healthy and more importantly safe, that is all I desire from you." After all, if Emory wanted material things, he would have already bought all that he would want with the amount of riches he had accumulated. And his lack of interest in anything material of nature was all too obvious in how bare the mansion had been when Rose arrived, even his own room at the moment had only the barest of necessities to make it comfortable. No, he needed nothing else but Rose to be safe and happy, either with or without him, it mattered not.

"I think that alone should be easy enough for you to handle, especially since I think you're getting a bit too good at making my composure slip." A try at humor after the mood had gotten a bit too sensitive for his liking, making a joke at his own expense. After all, Rose continued to surprise him constantly, "Honestly... what am I to do with you?" He mumbled those words, holding her close, though his fingers still were trembling as if she were his lifeline. Damn it. Irritated flowed through him at the stubborn digits, but there was naught else to be done, after all the man had been emotionally crippled by his life's less than happy events, after suppressing it for so long and refusing to allow himself to accept emotions deemed as "weak", it was bound to slip and show in his body language.

MY HEART emory just killed me, the poor boy))

The shakiness that Emory had at the current moment only caused for the concern Rose felt for him in that moment to grow. It seemed as if every touch she gave him was pushing him farther and farther off an invisible ledge. She worried that one wrong touch might cause for him to shatter in a way she might not be able to prepare. Just how damaged was he? What all from his past was he holding onto? She was beginning to get more details to fill in whatever gaps were left as he opened up to her more. There was that familiar pit in her chest, knowing that there was probably much more he was hiding from her. She refused to pry any farther now. She would allow him to open up at his own pace. It was the least she could do. He deserved that level of respect and privacy.

Her expression twisted and her frown deepened as she watched the tears began to form in the corners of his eyes. The dim light in the room was enough for her to see them. It reminded her all too much of the nights she spent crying. She was grateful to be here then, to help him in whatever way she could. She swallowed before lifting her hand from where it rested on his cheek. She carefully brushed away what tears she could with her thumb. Each stroke was gently, not wanting to startle him more. She didn’t respond to him for a while, just doing her best to comfort him in that moment. The way in which his expression had twisted, the anguish she saw in that moment was far too much for her to bear. She couldn’t recall a time ever seeing somewhat as pained as he looked. She leaned up to place gentle kisses where the tears fell, pulling back once more to gaze at him. She allowed for him to wipe the rest away.

She took a breath before finally deciding to respond. “You might believe that I do not need to, but I want to. You have kept so much pent up inside of you after all of these years. You deserve to be able to speak of it without any fears.” She murmured, eyes scanning his face once more before returning to meet his own. She hated seeing the pain in those pale golden eyes. Even with his usual masking, they had always reminded her of fresh honey. To see them in such a way now, well it hurt more than she could properly express. “I know it is hard for you to allow yourself to open up to anyone. I do not mind waiting. I will always be here for you whenever you need me to be.” She promised. She gave his hand a gentle squeeze once more. “Just do not let your stubborn head get in the way of what you truly need.”

The mention of her sister once more brought a soft smile back onto her lips. “I certainly understand. She hated Blaine from the beginning, so it is one thing you have in common. Besides, I learned quite a bit from her.” She explained. Her words were still quiet, though her tone was rather soothing. It was clear that her mind had drifted completely from the nightmares she experienced earlier that evening. She hoped that Emory might find a place within her family someday. While it would take a very long time for her father to open up to the young lord, she knew her sisters would be much more welcoming. The idea of that helped push the pit from her chest, replacing it with a newfound hope. She had faith in everything continuing to work out for them from then on. After all, she had always been terribly optimistic even in her darkest days.

She didn’t push back on the mentioning of him not wanting anything from her materially. Normally she would’ve insisted on finding him little gifts, but she deemed it unnecessary in that moment. “That is a terribly cheesy thing for you to say.” She did her best to tease, wanting to lighten up the mood for them. That heaviness in the air was still lingering. She clicked her tongue gently. “I believe you are just allowing yourself to open up more. I blame the affection you feel for me. But then again, I am a rather charming woman so who knows?” Another joke. She finally returned her head to rest back against his shoulder, face resting in the crook of his neck. “I mean it when I say I love you Emory.”

(Emory is a very sad, broken man who has no dignity left, and certainly none after the ball since I'm planning to flesh out Eunice's accomplices; or the eventual major time skip. He's gonna need all the hugs pretty soon!)

Deserve? The very word seemed laughable to leave Rose's lips, to hear that he of all people deserved anything... it probably was a cruel joke. That was the first thing his mind taunted him with, swirling with doubt and tearing his already fragile psyche further. But, Rose's kisses, her touch was enough to keep him from drowning. If only a little while longer, he needed to keep himself together, but he certainly could not sleep. Not now, he needed... His gaze shifted once more to the dresser, but closed his eyes again and turned his head away. Why was his first reaction to run? He couldn't run forever from these... feelings, this pain. Knocking himself unconscious wasn't the answer, and the crutch he used with such a potent drug was not going to help him. It only delayed his eventual collapse. His eyes opened to focus on Rose again, focus on her words, her voice. Yes, she was the only little bit of peace he'd been granted, as undeserving as he was of her. A murderer's hands desired nothing more than to hold onto her, to keep her close, to make sure she would never leave him. A common whoreson desired for a princess to remain at his side... hah, it almost made him want to laugh at how absurdly greedy he was becoming. As if this little bit of peace would ever last forever. She'll hate me one day. The thought made his heart drop in his chest as he went still again, expression settled in the usual stone-cold mask as he gazed down at her.

A faint smile crossed his face, her gentle reassurances combated against the negative whispers in his own head, "...You may be waiting quite some time then. I'm sorry." He couldn't allow her, shouldn't allow her to see much more. But, maybe it would be better if she... He immediately pushed the wishful thinking away, he should know better by now. Wishful thinking brought him nothing but disappointment, eventually Rose would fear him if she dug too deep. The thought was painful, but he knew better. Emory forced the last clinging bitterness of the conversation to the back of his mind, focusing on Rose's words as she continued to speak on matters of her sister. The conversation change was a welcome one, though another very small smile crossed his face, but the pain didn't leave his eyes, not yet. "I see, that's good then," He gently patted the top of Rose's head, "I suppose I would be able to get along well enough with her... though I do wonder if she can match your stubborn streak. You're already a handful on your own." Lighten up the mood, make Rose laugh... that would hide his pain, right? Making her happy did make him happy, so if he could only appease her, just a little while longer until he was once again hiding behind his armor exterior.

You're a coward. The biting thought made Emory's heart twist. Yes, perhaps he was. He ran from his pain instead of face it, terrified of the awful emotions and memories it brought. But, he needed to survive another day, that was all that mattered, right? A genuine laugh managed to leave his lips at her claiming his words were cheesy, "I suppose it is, but it's true." There was nothing else in this world he needed, nothing. However, he rolled his eyes at her next sentence, responding back with amusement in his tone, beginning to lose the edge of pain in his voice, "Charming woman, indeed. Don't get too much of an ego, Rose. I fear you'll become unbearable." Merely joking again, he doubted he could ever see Rose in such a negative light, this woman who brought out so many emotions in him that he didn't understand how to deal with it all.

And then, she spoke those words again.

Emory's expression, having taken on amusement had faltered, then settled into an unreadable expression. Was it pain? Joy? It was hard to determine which emotion would win out on his face, though it finally settled upon somber as he said in a softer tone, "I know you do." That is what makes it terrifying. He would not say that out loud, but he knew Rose was not lying to him. The truth lay evident in how she touched him, handled him with such care that it was enough to break him to pieces. Whenever she would look at him, she did not look upon him with fear or disgust, but it always seemed like her eyes could see right through him... it made him unnerved. He was scared of her seeing too much, scared that she would run from him. But, at the same time, the closer she grew to him, the more addicted he was becoming to her presence. Emory didn't want her to leave his side, even if he knew that it would benefit her far better if she ran from him now. But... he couldn't let her go, not when she was picking at the pieces of his armor, her gentleness far more terrifying than the most horrendous of weapons.

"I love you too." As scared as she made him feel in his vulnerability, he both loved and feared her. It was an odd feeling, to be so terrified of someone to see right through you, terrified that someone would see too much. He knew that if she would turn from him, scorn him... he would break apart. If he didn't have her at his side, no, if she wasn't in this world with him... he didn't want to finish the thought, knowing full well it would sour his mood, as the air still was heavy between them. Emory held her tighter to him, shifting his position so that he could feel a bit more comfortable, holding her as if she was priceless within his arms, his lips pressing against her forehead in a light kiss as her warmth was comforting to him. "..I never thought that I wouldn't find someone touching me being comforting..." He closed his eyes, her scent soothing him, "...I'm glad that you came here tonight, thank you." Now it was his turn to be grateful to her, even if he was still reeling from his vulnerable display, he couldn't help the feeling of gratitude to Rose, even if he'd not intended for the night to have proceeded in such a way.

AWWW he honestly deserves so much. the eventual time skip is going to bring in great drama and will be so much fun, but it will kill me lmao))

Rose kept the grip that she had on his trembling hand, enjoying the feeling of his calloused fingers against her own. It was odd just how comforting the feel was. There were moments that she though she might never enjoy these touches again. She believed she would be forced to spend the rest of her life with the disgusting monster that was her former husband. Her hope had been renewed now that she was with Emory. Despite the manner is which the other male viewed himself, she would always hold him to the highest regard. She hadn’t a clue how she even came to believe of him in such a way. Was it just due to the fact that she saved her when no one else would? The thought was rather amusing. She knew of his intentions when she first arrived. It had been discussed by the two of them multiple times. Yet the longer that she thought of it, the more she realized just when she had fallen for him.

It was the day when the two of them visited the kingdom for her ‘funeral’. She remembered being shoved away from him and the sudden fear that hit her at it. She could see his head whipping around in order to find her. After she had decided to just go do her shopping while the ceremony occurred, she never would’ve believed the frenzied state that he came rushing to find her in. She remembered standing drenched in the rain, the wild look gleaming in his eyes as he stared at her. The concern and worry he felt for her in that moment was something like she had never experienced before. That was what she had fallen in love with. It was the idea that someone would come rushing to find her and save her, no matter what the situation in rather terrible conditions. He wanted to make sure that she was alright, even when he could’ve left her there to die.

That was the moment she realized she loved him. Everything that followed only confirmed that belief.

She forced her mind to return to the situation on hand, having allowed it to drift for far too long. “You constantly apologize to me, just like I consistently show you gratitude. If I cannot thank you, you cannot apologize for things that are out of your control.” She remarked with a proper smile spreading to her face. She wanted for his mood to improve. She could see the pain that still lingered as well as feel the heaviness in the air surrounding them. Neither of them would relax if it continued on like that for the evening. She blinked a few times at the gentle touch to her head, her shoulders relaxing more then. She hadn’t realized there had been some tension forming in them during the conversation about his family. “No one truly can ever match my stubbornness. That is something I gained from my father, though I am sure you already know just how he can be. I amplified that by ten.” She stated with a rather cheeky look coming to her face.

She finally allowed a soft laugh to leave her at his next comment on her ego. The air was beginning to shift back to how it had been before and that made her feel relieved. She truly had been worried that they might both descend into an air of uncertainly and unhappiness after that conversation. She didn’t know how Emory would react to everything she said, to the way she tried to comfort him. She gave him a lopsided grin, her eyes gleaming in the dull light of the room. “I already am unbearable. My ego is rather large, remember? It needs to be. I am a princess.” She used her title to her advantage, though she knew it could only imply they both would have rather large egos since they did each have honorifics.

The shift was there again. It made her wonder if that is how Emory’s mind functioned, especially since he never seemed to be able to properly express his emotions whenever he was feeling them. She tilted her head slightly to press a gentle kiss to his jawline before allowing it to rest once more, only to press a kiss to his neck. She meant it reassuringly, hoping he would take it in such a way. “I am grateful that you do.” She murmured. Each time that he assured her he did as well, she could swear her heart skipped a beat. She hadn’t felt this much affection towards another in the entirety of her life. It scared her, but also excited her in a way she couldn’t explain. “I am glad I did as well, though there is no reason for you to thank me. I just accepted your information.” She reminded. She could feel the familiar pull of exhaustion tugging her back towards sleep. For the first time in days, she wasn’t nervous to go back to sleep. She knew that she would be alright. “I believe we both should attempt to rest. I know you said you do not sleep much, but please try to.” She whispered. She cuddled deeper into him, her entire body relaxed. It took many minutes, but her breathing evened out once again.

Emory let out a tiny bit of laughter at her rather cheeky responses. A princess indeed, with the stubbornness to make most people give in. His expression turned a tiny bit surprised at the two kisses she would give him, gentle in response to his acknowledgement of her feelings. His skin tingled pleasantly, though he didn't allow himself to move, remaining as immovable as a statue as he could feel Rose cuddle deeper into his grasp, reassuring him that there was no need to thank her, accepting the information he'd given her. Her whispered request had made the man sigh, his shoulders sagging as he murmured in response, "I'll try." And then, she had fallen silent, leaving him alone to grapple with his consciousness. As warm and soft she was in his arms, it did not provide him much comfort, her soft breathing ringing in the silence of his room. It left him to gaze down at her, the cold gold of his eyes softening as he gently brushed his fingers through her hair... only for his mind to drift.

Their conversation, despite it ending on a light note had only unshackled the many, many disturbing memories he'd suppressed and buried. Memories of far darker days, trapped in an ill fitting box, where the stench of body fluids mingled with strong perfume was enough to make the man feel like vomiting. It was such a distinct, foul smell, that recalling it was enough to make sweat begin to reappear upon his skin, chills flowing down his spine as he could almost feel the prodding of fingers, reaching to hidden places, nails digging into exposed flesh with eyes burning him down to his core; and oh, how could his mind forget the laughter at his expense? The ragged breathing of patrons, foul breath reeking of alcohol and the tinge of drugs filling his nose, hot breath panting on his sweaty skin... he could almost remember their faces, blurry in the midst of his memory due to perhaps tears that he'd shed during such times. Stop thinking. Stop thinking.

His desperate plea for his own mind to stop, to just forget it all was an all too faulty defense. His arms tightened around Rose, trying to prevent himself from losing himself too much, she needed her sleep, he couldn't possibly wake her over this. Endure. Endure. His eyes closed tightly, biting his tongue to prevent a pitiful whimper from leaving his lips. Endure until his mind finally decided to leave him be, until the memories faded and with it the torment. Emory couldn't allow himself to drink from the vial, as much as his body was desperate for it as his mind was pushing him into a corner, he needed to allow himself to remain steadfast, resilient. It was all a foul trick that his brain was playing on him, it wasn't real. And so he would repeat it, over and over to himself that this wasn't real. That he was with Rose, that everything would be fine. It'll be over soon. A phrase he often used, even back then. All he could hope for was it to be over.

By the time morning had come, Emory hadn't slept. His eyes stared vacantly out into empty space, the whites bloodshot and red, breathing coming in slow intervals, only to stutter in his chest every few moments. His position had changed during the night, no longer having held onto Rose, the man had at the very least laid down beside her properly, but his back was facing her, arms pressed tightly against himself as exhaustion weighed heavily down upon the man's slightly trembling form. He had endured, but at what cost? Even if his mind no longer felt the pull of memories, he hadn't fulfilled Rose's desire for him to get rest. I'm tired... His eyelids felt heavy, but he dared not close them, not knowing what awaited him if he dared to allow his mind to drift. Slowly, his gaze drifted, settling on the morning sun's light streaming into his bedroom. Tired... A hand came up to rub at his now irritated eyes, the discomfort of not sleeping making itself known.

But, there was no use to worry over it now, he was used to not sleeping if necessary... granted this was only the case for when he got at least three or four hours of rest. Emory hadn't even gotten a good five minutes. And what was he to do about Rose? How could he possibly hide his exhaustion? Chances are, he couldn't, so the effort would be wasted energy in the first place. Shivers swelled to settle upon his spine again as the ghost of memories almost threatened to rise up again; he couldn't take that so soon. I'm tired... The thought repeated as his eyelids drooped, coming slightly more heavy as his exhausted mind struggled to think, but all that left him with was muddled thoughts that he couldn't possibly begin to sort through or make sense of.

Rose didn’t experience any dreams for the rest of the evening, her mind allowing her a silent reprieve. It was odd to not dream of anything at all. Her mind used to always run to the strangest of places, twisting faces and people she knew in order to fit the narratives it thought up. But that night, there was nothing. It was just a pool of darkness. She was grateful to not have to deal with anything from her past tormenting her once again. She would take this nothingness over any of what she had been experiencing before. Her breathing shifted as she began to stir. It quickened slightly before evening out once more. She had been laying on her stomach by that point, not noticing the other male had let her go while she slept. Her one arm was wrapped around the pillow in an attempt to hug it.

She opened her eyes slowly, though the sunlight streaming into the room did burn them. She immediately shut them for a few more minutes with a soft groan. It was rare for herself to not enjoy morning, but she was far too comfortable and much too tired to want to get up from where she currently lay. Her exhaustion was nowhere near as terrible as it had been the days prior. The amount of rest she had gotten truly did help. Sleep was still tugging her down though, especially since she had just woken up. She shifted in the bed to roll onto her back. She imagined that her hair would be a tangled mess, knowing she had forgotten to braid it before coming to bed. That would be a task in its own after she bathed that morning. Her slightly aching body yearned for the warm water of the bath.

She pulled a hand up to cover her eyes for a few moments, taking a few deep breath while doing so. She only allowed it to return back to her side once she decided she couldn’t lay there all day. Despite Emory wanting her to rest, there were still things that she needed to do. One of them was to discuss some business with the gardener. This was one of the few days he would be present and she just wanted to confirm that everything she planned would be properly finished. She sketched the entirety of the garden out. Her vision was simple, but pleasant enough. She made sure to include the roses that Emory suggested she had as well as many other varieties of flowers. She kept an eye on his work these past few weeks and everything seemed satisfactory. With spring finally in full force, she was rather excited to see the blossoming flowers.

She glanced towards the window in an attempt to gage what time it was by the strength of the sunlight. She must’ve slept later than she planned, but it would do either way. She turned her head to look towards the man beside her. It seemed as though he was asleep, at least she assumed he would be by the way in which he lay. She sat up carefully in her best attempt to not wake him. She knew as well as anyone that Emory deserved as much sleep as he could get. She quietly stood and moved to make her way from the room. She opened the door with as much care as she possibly could before stepping outside and shutting it behind her. She hadn’t a clue that Emory was actually awake and hadn’t checked in fear of waking him if he was asleep. She knew that she would see him whenever he emerged from his slumber. It wasn’t as though they could ever spend too much time away from each other. Their time apart had been hard enough.

She quickly made her way back to her room, though she didn’t care if Viola noticed her leaving Emory’s room. The maid knew the two were rather fond of each other. If anything, she would just get teased about it later on in the day. Her relationship with the woman was to the point where she didn’t mind if she were to do such a thing. She soon returned to the interior of her room, moving about to get a bath prepared for herself. She pulled a nicer dress out for the day, though it wasn’t one of the newer ones Parnell made for her. She wanted to save those for later in the season. Her bath was shorter than she would’ve liked, but she knew she was wasting precious time. She slid the dress on once cleaned and then brushed her hair free of any tangles. She braided it delicately for the day and then left her room. She glanced towards the dining hall, her stomach grumbling. She desperately wanted to get something to eat, but knew she needed to head outside. A soft frown crossed her expression as she paused.

Emory went utterly still as Rose stirred beside him, the man's heavy eyelids immediately closing as she had left his side. The fading sound of her footsteps only then had made Emory's eyes slowly open once more, staring at the dresser beside him. Enough. If he couldn't sleep, he would force his body to. It wasn't the best solution, in all honesty it was the least healthy option for him, but at this moment he didn't care. Dark, dreamless sleep would be a reprieve from the memories, and he was desperate for any sort of relief. His eyes shifted toward the door, as if making sure that no one was approaching, only then had he reached inside the dresser and grabbed hold of the vial, tipping the bottle to his lips as the bitter liquid slid down his throat. Although its effects weren't instant, it would only be a matter of time before the man would be locked in sleep, with shaky hands the man had replaced the cork that sealed the bottle's top, placing it within the dresser once more as his body settled back on the bed. All he could do now was wait, though he knew not how long he would be asleep. It doesn't matter.. His eyelids closed, arm draping over his eyes as to prevent the sunlight from shining directly on his face, his mind settling on trying not to think, quiet breaths leaving his lips as he drifted off to sleep.
Meanwhile, it seemed as if Viola had set about beginning to prepare breakfast for Rose and Emory, the woman had gotten to the mansion a bit earlier than usual in perhaps a bit of anxiousness due to Emory finally returning. Her husband had complained about her fretting over a "grown man that should take care of himself", but she knew well enough that Merewin probably was feeling a bit miffed that his wife was so devoted to her work. I'm sorry, Merewin. A silent apology rang through her mind, knowing full well that she would have to make it up to him later. After all, her husband was quite the big baby when he desired her attention, even if his tavern demanded most of his attention. Color flooded her cheeks as she shook her head, a tinge of embarrassment flooding through her, it wouldn't do for her to be thinking too much! Besides, she was well aware with how... simple minded her husband was in regard to her appeasing him. A huff left her lips as she shook her head, feeling a bit of exasperation, though the woman's gaze shifted toward the stairway, seeing a flurry of activity from the direction of Emory's room, raising an eyebrow the woman had to do a double take, realizing that Rose had just left the young lord's room.

The maid's eyes widened in clear surprise, mouth opening in the beginnings of a quiet gasp as her mind was attempting to catch up to what she was seeing. Rose had left Emory's room? Why? Did she perhaps spend the night there? A tinge of color had flooded the maid's cheeks, turning her attention back to preparing breakfast, though she was struggling to stop herself from grinning. Of course, what she was thinking was clearly not what happened at all; but the woman had been deeply concerned over Emory for many, many years. It made her wonder, did he finally get over his phobia of being touched if this was the case? Probably not completely. After all, when she'd hugged him yesterday, he seemed uncomfortable which made sense she supposed. She always had to be "hands off" when dealing with Emory, even when he was a child. Remembering such memories had slightly dampened Viola's previously elated mood, a slight frown crossing her face. Maridel, Emory's mother, had always intervened whenever Viola attempted to even try and get Emory to laugh or reach out to the boy, her scathing remarks and cold eyes always making Viola feel as if she was overstepping her boundaries. Especially considering Emory's arrival to the mansion predated Viola ever having children, she was younger and far more impressionable back then, and Maridel always never stopped hounding Viola whenever she tried to give Emory the slightest bit of attention.

"..Why?" The question left her lips, her eyebrows furrowing. The more she looked back over the memories, the more odd Maridel's behavior had been. Of course, Viola was well aware Maridel spoiled Camdyn and Annice; in particular Camdyn who was set to inherit the estate, but Emory was still her son... maybe it was because of him being born outside of the marriage? Perhaps, but that didn't seem to be the full picture. Shaking her head, her steps took her to edge of the kitchen, peering again to the once empty stairway. Should I... ask? That was one thing that bothered her more than anything else, she had never received answers. When Emory had slaughtered majority of the staff as well as his own family, it shook her to her core. It made her terrified of him, and granted she still was a tiny bit afraid of the man, knowing his capability for violence at the single flip of a coin. But, he was different now. Rose seemed to have been an good influence, so surely if he didn't feel like answering her, she would only receive a "no", right? Stop being nosey. Viola shook her head, retreating back into the kitchen. She shouldn't press her luck, besides it was better to make sure that Rose's and Emory's every need was attended to, although it certainly would help if Emory hired more staff... no, she shouldn't bring that up. After all, she wasn't too old that she couldn't take care of most things on her own!

With newfound enthusiasm, Viola threw herself into her work, humming a cheerful tune to dispel the serious topics floating about within her mind. Today was another day, and she would make sure that it would go as smoothly as possible... even if she was brimming with countless questions that she no doubt would ask Rose later. Though, now that she thought about it, Addison was also quite hard at work around now. A faint smile crossed her face as she thought, I hope he doesn't push himself too hard. He doesn't know when to stop when he gets fired up. The old gardener, although always a soldier at heart had been making great progress on the garden, and Viola knew him enough before he was forced to put up his weapons after Emory had taken over. He seemed so enthusiastic now that it warmed her heart, being worried that he was going to waste away and leave the garden in disrepair considering Emory's extreme lack in desiring to go anywhere near it.

The inner debate Rose had was one that shouldn’t have been a question in her mind. There was absolutely no reason for her to skip breakfast when she had already missed two meals the day before. Her stomach had been twisting in on itself from that, aching due to the lack of food. Her mind urged for her to get on with her day as there was already much she need to accomplish before the sun went down. It seemed like Emory would be catching up on some well deserved rest too, leaving her the opportunity to avoid his concern over her resting. Other than the gardening, she planned to head into town and head to the markets. She still was looking for other supplies that might help her decorate the mansion to her standards. What she had done was already a vast improvement from how it had been. Her vision was incomplete though, and she hated not finishing things in a timely manner.

The list of activities she had was a welcome distraction from what all occurred as well. It was one of the reasons she hadn’t fallen in a darker spell while Emory originally had been away and while she waited for his return after his fight with the mage. The longer the list, the less she had to think on it. She could focus on her meaningless tasks with a carefree attitude. After all, it was believed to be a woman’s place to care for these sorts of tasks, right? The thought of those roles had always bothered her. It had been engrained in her mind from a young age. No matter how she felt, she couldn’t ever shake that she was learning how to find her place within society, within a family. She assumed it influenced what she was planning to do that day.

A soft sigh left her as she forced herself to pull away from the thoughts beginning to swirl in her mind once more. She made a mental note to see if there was a journal she could pick up later in the market. It had been months since she had last written anything about her days down. It helped back then and could certainly help now. She decided in that moment to head towards the kitchen and actually enjoy the breakfast that she knew Viola was hard at work making. It would be rather disrespectful to completely ignore it, especially with all the woman had done for her. Her steps were soft as she made her way down the familiar hallway that led to the dining hall. She noticed the kitchen door open and could smell the scent of food being prepared. Her stomach let out a rather unhappy growl that she wasn’t stuffing her mouth at that very moment.

She paused once she got to the doorway, reaching a hand up to lightly knock upon the wood. She hadn’t wanted to startle the woman any. She mustered the brightest smile she could. The green of her eyes wasn’t nearly as dull as it had been lately. It seemed something was beginning to change in her mindset, though the progress would be slow. “Good morning Viola.” She greeted in a pleasant tone. She stepped inside the kitchen then. She decided to make herself some tea as she usually would, not bothering to make more than just what she would drink. It was her hope that Emory would be sleeping at late as he needed to. She didn’t want to bother him with the suggestion of breakfast. She almost was wishing he would take her up in the offer to cook for him. She had been itching to for days now.

“It smells wonderful in here, as always.” The compliment was no different than the ones she usually gave. She placed the kettle on to boil, moving to grab herself the herbs she had stocked aside. She glanced towards Viola as she did so, noticing a spring in her step that day. She raised an eyebrow slightly, but tried her best not to question it. She hadn’t realized the maid saw her leaving Emory’s room. “I was planning on heading into the marketplace today after I spoke with Addison. I am hoping to find what I need to finish decorating the interior of the mansion today. At least, it would be nice to find some paints. I would hate to have to buy them when we head to the kingdom for the ball,” She confessed, going on with her usual ramblings. She paused, turning her head to look fully at the woman beside her. “Is there anything you would like for me to pick up for you while I am there?”

Viola's head jerked up, a bit surprised at the gentle knocking of Rose's hand upon the wood to the doorway, her hand flying to her chest as she felt her heartbeat quicken in the beginnings of shock... only for the maid to release a sigh of relief, "O-oh heavens- good morning, Lady Barclay." Even if she had noticed Rose awaken earlier, she didn't anticipate the woman suddenly appearing, it did scare her for only a second only for her to feel rather silly. This embarrassment colored the maid's cheeks as she cleared her throat, turning her attention to the finishing touches on the food before her, her humming resuming as she cast a gentle smile at Rose's compliment, "I'm glad you think so." Even if Viola was still a bit self-conscious on her rather simple meals, she still was relieved that Rose enjoyed them... though she could never tell with Emory how he felt in regards to the food she prepared each day. Now that she thought about it, Emory didn't finish his food during the night, a very rare phenomenon indeed. A light frown touched the woman's face as she thought, I wonder if I did something wrong. The poor maid would blame herself immediately, not knowing what in the world was happening to the young lord since he never spoke on many issues, or even if he was bothered by something. It was frustrating, but she would probably have to ask later to see if she could remedy the situation.

Regardless, concerns about Emory aside, Viola had noticed Rose seemed a bit better. Not completely how she had been prior to Emory's incident with Freycrest, but... livelier, it was a comfort that Rose was recovering, as she hadn't known what to do to cheer up the other woman in the seemingly long days that Emory had been away. It made the worry that had been eating away at her heart begin to lessen, Those two will be the death of me, I swear. The thought wasn't malicious or frustrated, but came from one of motherly affection. If it wasn't Emory causing her to worry, Rose would take his usual place as a source of concern.

As the conversation turned to matters about the marketplace and finding some paints, Viola's eyes cast toward the colorless walls that still remained in the mansion. It probably was about time that the mansion's walls would have some life to them, although the paintings and decorations Rose had already secured had indeed breathed some much needed color, it still had a ways to go. "Hmm?" The maid's attention swiftly shifted to Rose as she had offered to pick anything up while she was out, which prompted the maid to rapidly shake her head, brown eyes wide as she seemed quite flustered, "N-no, there's really no need!" Even if Viola had gotten rather close to Rose, even feeling at ease around her, it was at these moments that her old learned habits considering rank and status would rear its ugly head. She cleared her throat, attempting to regain her composure again, a warm smile crossing her face, "Thank you for the offer." It wasn't as if Viola needed anything, and she could always get it herself when she returned home for the night, and considering her boys would always be running errands throughout the day, she didn't need to do it too often.

Turning her attention back to the boiling pot before her, it was then that her mind finally remembered an all too intriguing topic that she had just been about to forget. "Ah!" She exclaimed, immediately whipping around toward Rose, a broad grin on her face, brown eyes sparkling with undisguised enthusiasm, "I had nearly forgotten! I did see you leaving Lord May's bedchambers earlier, did you two...?" She almost dared to hope, that the cold man finally was acting normal. Of course, the maid never would usually be so bold, but when it came to matters concerning Emory, she couldn't help but desire the best for him... even if he did terrify her most of the time.

Last edited:
Rose hadn’t meant to startle the woman and actually felt quite bad when she noticed the way she jumped. She offered her an apologetic look for the way in which she had done so. She had grown to be aware of just how quiet her footsteps could be at times. It was a stark contrast to the heavy sounds that were heard through the house whenever Emory walked about. “I know I say this to you often, but everything you cook is absolutely incredible. I do have to apologize for missing lunch and dinner yesterday though. I ended up asleep for most of the afternoon in the library.” She confessed with a slight shake of her head at her own actions. It wasn’t common for her to miss any meals and she wanted to ease any worries that Viola might be having about her. She already had Emory concerned enough. She didn’t want the two to both be fawning over her.

She moved to pull out a teacup from the cabinet in which it was usually held. She grabbed a small spoon as well. She opened up the herbs she decided would be best for her morning, carefully spooning them into the cup. She stirred them together before returning the bags of herbs to where she had them before. She turned to lean her back lightly against the cabinetry to Viola’s right. She dipped her head slightly in response to the gratitude expressed for her offer. “You are welcome. I figured it might just save you a trip and you already work hard enough as it is. If you think of anything before I leave, please do let me know.” She stated with a glance towards the maid. She would never grow used to the way Viola treated her. Despite having similar responses her entire life, Viola almost seemed terrified to put a foot slightly out of place. She wondered if that was due to everything that Emory had done to the remaining staff at the manor.

She pushed the thought from her mind at the question Viola asked her then. Surprise filled her expression, her own eyes widening slightly before a pink blush burned her cheeks. She could feel the laughter beginning to bubble in her chest. It didn’t take long until it broke through her lips. She shook her head once again. “No, we unfortunately did not. That portion of our relationship seems to be the chase of a cat and mouse. I do have some tricks up my sleeve, but I am sure you will know exactly when it does happen.” She commented, the blush remaining on her face. She didn’t mind sharing intimate matters with her. Viola had been the one to push her forward to confront her feelings towards Emory. Granted Merewin was the one who pushed her over the edge, but the woman had played a huge part in helping her confer on what she was feeling.

“I have been having nightmares since I returned from Freycrest. It is the reason I have been so exhausted as of late. Emory noticed and offered to allow me to sleep next to him. It helped, truly. Last night was the first night I have slept without continuous nightmares in days.” She explained the situation. She didn’t bother elaborating on just what her nightmares were. She didn’t think she was comfortable enough to talk to anyone about it just yet, not even Emory. It was a rather selfish thing, now that she thought on it. The young lord had poured his heart out about his siblings last night. If he wished to know about her nightmares, she truly shouldn’t hide it from him.

Viola's brown eyes warmed at the laughter that Rose had released, having missed hearing the cheerful sound from the woman during the past few weeks. She's definitely getting better. After all, Rose had been the one to bring life and cheer into the mansion, and by extension Emory... even if the cold man didn't commonly express emotion, the amount of times that he had was impressive enough to make the maid know that there was still some humanity within him. Of course, disappointment settled upon Viola at Rose's words in regards to the lack of intimacy, but she supposed it made sense. After all, Emory never had been someone who was open to touch, or even emotional displays of affection. It was a miracle on its own that the man had seemed to open his heart to Rose and show her actual emotion. "I guess I got too far ahead of myself," A playful and exaggerated sigh left the maid's lips, "But, you'd better! I fear I may be getting too invested, but I dare to hope that Lord May will be... normal one day." A grin crossed her face after she had spoken, though only being comfortable enough to do so in Rose's presence, if Emory had been there... well, she wouldn't have been able to bring up the topic.

The grin faded however as Rose revealed that she'd been having nightmares, concern settling upon the maid's features as she lowered her gaze, "I.. I see." Although Viola had been aware of Rose's lack of energy and liveliness, she had no idea about the extent of the nightmares that haunted the younger woman. But, hearing that Emory had reached out first, to even begin to address the problem had made Viola's expression soften as she looked over to Rose, a small smile on her face, "I'm glad you received some rest, the last thing you need to be collapsing. Besides, I fear Emory would be beside himself if anything were to happen to you." Her gaze lowered back to the task before her, expression becoming somber as she allowed a comfortable silence to follow, if only to gather her thoughts together before she would speak them out loud.

"Thank you, truly for giving Lord May a chance." The gratitude seemingly came out of nowhere, but Viola had thanked her previously along the same lines, but she felt as if she needed to reiterate the happiness she felt as Emory was thawing and showing more sides to himself, things that even the maid thought he wasn't even capable of. No one would have given Emory a genuine chance to express himself, to be comfortable with another person, and Viola felt ashamed to admit that she too had thought him an irredeemable monster after the events of his slaughter in the mansion; despite being nothing more than a silent observer, never permitted to interject, never allowed to grow close to the man, she only had a stranger's perspective of him, mingled with her own guilt. She never gave him a chance to reveal more about himself, and that she couldn't forgive herself for.

It made her wonder why he'd deemed her acceptable of sparing, her brown eyes growing more somber as she recalled the distant memory, a younger Emory, only eighteen with blood soaked into his clothes; clothes that had been specially tailored for a celebration for Camdyn, the elder brother being accepted into knighthood and would have been sent to the kingdom to serve in the following week. His maddened eyes, cold and unfeeling stared down at her, a blade pointed at her throat, covered with blood and fat, a blade he'd taken from one of the guards. She knew not how long he stared at her, how long she remained pinned underneath that blade, but he had turned away from her as if he'd lost interest, only to finish off a fellow maid that had been trying to take the opportunity to crawl away, her leg having been crippled by the mere teen to prevent her from escaping. And she just sat there, immobilized in her terror, unable to reach out to the boy who had turned into a ruthless murderer, unable to understand fully why he had done what he had... and she never bothered to understand him further. Whether it was an act of self-preservation, she didn't know. Her eyes closed, a shiver going down her spine. She hoped with everything in her, that side of him would never resurface. Emotionless, lethal, and without hesitation. It was better that Rose was thawing him out, allowing him a chance to experience something else than iciness was something that she'd prayed for years to achieve.

Shaking her head, Viola had forced the memory away, a smile crossing her face as she looked over to Rose, saying softly, "Breakfast will be ready in a few more minutes, you should go ahead and sit down, I'll bring it out to you," Her eyes shifted toward the direction of the stairway, "Though, I suppose I'll have to store Emory's portion away for later. He's still asleep, is he not?"

Despite the slight embarrassment that Rose felt from the forwardness of Viola’s words, the smile came back onto her lips. It seemed to be growing larger the longer she conversed with the woman. She always believed her to be rather similar to what she could remember of her old mother. It was nice to have someone in that space once again. She didn’t know if she would ever be able to tell her the true extent of what she thought of her, how she was forever grateful for all the woman did for her. Even with her duties as a maid, Viola went beyond. She always worked to make sure that she was alright in the worst of situations. She had been her first friend when she arrived at the manor and her friendship was something she would always treasure. She hoped the woman would someday know the extent of her gratitude.

She made a mental note to find something nice for her, whether it be in the market that day or in the kingdom after the ball. It was the absolute least she could do to repay her for her generosity. “It is completely alright that you are invested. I do not have anyone else to gossip with about this. I truly value speaking with you about everything.” She replied as she shifted to face her fully. The mention of Emory finally having some sense of normalcy caused her to blink. “He seems to be trying. He really has opened himself up more. It is as though he wants me to see his vulnerability, but is far too scared to let me in fully. I already told him I wouldn’t push. It isn’t my place to.” She explained. If anyone would understand where she was coming from in that moment, it would be Viola. She had been here for most of Emory’s life.

The faint whistling sound from the kettle could be heard then. She pushed off from the cabinet in order to reach for it. She carefully removed it from the heat and pour the boiling water into the teacup she had prepared. She set the kettle back off to the side and carefully stirred it. The herbs would have to steep for a few minutes, but she wouldn’t mind waiting. The conversation she was having with Viola was very pleasant and she wanted it to continue. “He has already been nagging me about resting even though I am unable to stay in one spot for too long. I was shocked to even sleep during the day yesterday. He was very happy to hear that.” She mused as she turned to face her once more. She hadn’t a clue as to what she was preparing for breakfast that morning, but the smell was getting better with each passing moment.

“He gave me a chance first. Blaine wished for him to murder me upon my arrival to the estate. He could’ve easily done so without any remorse. After all, he hates my father and the prospect of getting revenge over him by killing me would’ve been perfect,” She noted as her eyebrows furrowed slightly. This was a conversation she had multiple times with Emory. “I am just returning the favor to him. I knew there was something different about him. I do not think he realizes just how wonderful and special he is.” Her voice had softened with affection. It was clear to see just how much she loved him by the manner in which she talked of him. Her entire expression had softened and the blush finally fully faded from her cheeks. Her eyes were shining bright in the light of the kitchen. Her shoulders had relaxed as well, almost as if she trusted the young lord with every ounce of her being.

She reached to grab the teacup she had sitting to the side, clearing her throat gently. She nodded then at her words. “Thank you Viola.” She moved to exit the kitchen; pausing at her last question. “He indeed is. I didn’t want to wake him. I knew he desperately needed the rest.”

Viola was pleased to say the least with Rose's words regarding Emory, though her eyebrows furrowed slightly at the idea that Emory was scared of allowing Rose in fully. I hope he finds the strength to do soon. After all, Viola shared everything with Merewin, even though the two lovebirds certainly weren't always as close as they were now, she couldn't imagine life without the man. He had become her second half, the only other person that she trusted wholeheartedly with all of her woes, someone who would put her on the right track if she happened to begin to stray and make wrong decisions, and she would do the same to Merewin in return. But, nonetheless, she nodded her head at Rose's response. It was better to not push the young lord, that perhaps would cause him to shut down and shut her out, and all that progress could just as easily vanish in a single blink of an eye. "Well, he's always been very dubious, but I do hope he'll grow to trust you more. It makes me relieved that he's letting you in."

A smile soon reclaimed its place on Viola's lips as Rose had explained that he was nagging her to rest, causing a light laugh to leave the maid's lips, "I don't blame him. It wasn't too long ago that you had gotten ill, remember? He's probably still quite shaken up from that still." Remembering how frantic he'd been when Rose had fallen ill was a side of him that Viola never seen. It showed her for the first time that Emory was capable of caring for others, as much as he kept everyone at arms length to try and distance himself. Perhaps, she could have a talk with him later, if only to get an idea of how much he truly had changed due to Rose's influence... but the thought of talking to him alone had caused chills to run down her spine, making her dismiss the thought altogether. Yes, she had spoken boldly to him perhaps once or twice, maybe even thrice! But, she always had the option to quickly leave afterward, if she overstepped her boundaries then - no, there was no need to think too much longer. The more she was talking with Rose, the more she felt the urge to apologize to Emory, if only for her being a distant figure in his life during his childhood years. She could have at any point - if she were just the tiniest bit braver - have provided him some sort of safe haven, but she always had been quick to bow to authority figures. But, perhaps her efforts to reach out to him, no matter how extraordinarily brief, hadn't went unnoticed by the man. Was that why he spared her? The thought was so bizarre, but she would store it away until she would get an opportunity to speak with him.

A tiny bit of laughter left Viola's lips at Rose's words regarding Emory, glowing with affection for the young lord. It still was so utterly unbelievable that the young woman could care so deeply for the man... but she would not question it. "You really have fallen for him hard." Happiness sparkled in the brown eyes of the maid as she added in a gentler tone, "It gladdens me to hear that someone cares for him deeply, and I'm sure he's grateful for your affection... even if I'm sure he's a bit timid about expressing himself." Her gaze shifted toward the stairway once more, "...I pray you two have many happy years ahead of you." After all, she desired both of them to be truly happy with each other. With the last words spoken between the two, Viola had nodded her head in response, setting about finishing the soup she had been preparing. A quick, yet warm meal to start off the day and being not too heavy would be good for now. Keeping in mind to set aside some for Emory, whenever the man did finally wake up, the maid had carried the steaming bowl she'd prepared and placed it before Rose, performing her usual curtsey as she stepped out to allow Rose to eat in peace.

At the mention of the extent of her feelings for Emory, Rose dipped her head slightly. It was still surprising to the young princess that she had fallen for him as hard as she had and as quickly as she had. Was it due to the fact that she was yearning for someone to show her the slightest bit of care? She hadn’t been shown any hint of kindness for quite some time. Could that have influenced the fact that she had fallen for Emory? She surely hoped not. She didn’t want to be questioning her feelings for him, especially after she finally felt so certain about them. There was just something in the way that Viola spoke, though she knew the maid meant the words in the kindest of way, that caused for her mind to turn back on itself. She tried her best to not let it linger on such negative thoughts as she knew they would do her no good.

“I know he will find it in himself eventually to do so. He isn’t used to anyone caring about him in the way that I do.” She agreed, lifting her gaze once more to look back towards the woman. The heat from the liquid in the teacup was beginning to get far too uncomfortable for her to continue to hold onto. She forced herself to ignore in for a few moments more. A gentle smile came to her lips once again. “Thank you Viola, truly.” Her words were a bit quieter then as she finally turned and made her way to the table. She set the cup down at her usual place before pulling the chair out and taking a seat. The entire mansion was rather quiet today, despite the sounds still being made by Viola in the kitchen. She was rather grateful for it. Their lives would be getting much busier once they announced her at the spring ball. She hoped that no one would dare come visit while she was here with Emory, certainly not without an invitation first. It would only spell trouble for that poor person.

She perked up slightly as Viola brought the food out to her. She murmured her usual words of gratitude before reaching to grab her spoon. She slowly ate the food, savoring the taste. She would take a sip from her cup of tea every now and then as well. Her mind was still drifting to places she preferred for it not to go. She knew that she shouldn’t be dwelling on why she might be feeling the way she did for Emory. Every bit of emotion towards him was justified and she knew that she lived him. Just why was she slightly second guessing herself? Her eyebrows furrowed slightly as she continued to eat. She didn’t mind the heat of the food. It was helping draw her mind away from everything.

It didn’t take her too long to finish what was in her bowl as well as her cup of tea. She stood slowly and carefully brought both dishes to the kitchen. She still couldn’t find it in herself to just leave them on the table for Viola to pick up. It was a terrible habit that much in higher rankings had and she absolutely hated it. She then decided to make her way outside. She was greeted with the warm spring air the moment she stepped foot out the front door. The heat from the sun bore down on her and she knew she would be rather hot by the end of her trip to the marketplace. Nonetheless, she turned her head until she spotted Addison. She began to make her way towards the man. The smell of what flowers had already bloomed was incredible and everything was looking exactly how she pictured it. A bright smile came to her lips as she got to him. “Good morning! I just wanted to see how things were going; but it is looking as if you are almost finished. It is incredible.” Her words held her see about the complete change from how the garden used to be.

Addison, the gardener was currently hacking away at the ruined part of the garden. Although he made plenty of progress in regards to the part of the garden he had kept up with, the eastern part certainly still needed a bit of effort before he would be able to fully begin renovations upon it. Though, majority of the dead flowers and overgrown weeds had been cleared, it still was a long process considering the years it had went unattended to. At the very least, the ominous statue of Maridel Yates had been the first thing to be removed, allowing the gardener some more room to be able to make his way around all the prickling thorns and weeds, grumbles leaving the old man's lips as he ripped and tore at the years of neglect. Considering he'd been so invested in his task, with the occasional order being barked at the nearby temporary staff that was assisting him, the old man had nearly jumped out of his skin at the bright greeting, whipping around quickly only for the man to grumble in slight annoyance, a hand coming to scratch at the silver stubble on his chin as he said in his less than friendly tone, "Ah, the Barclay again." However, his tone wasn't as biting as it usually would be, after all Addison's opinion on Rose had become slowly more and more positive, and considering his more relaxed posture, she had gained a tiny bit of his respect... if that.

"Figures it would be you to be so energetic in the morn'." The old man leaned upon the spade he had in his grasp, his dark eyes peering at her closely, only for his head to nod, "Yes, well, all the admirin' won't do it any good when it ain't finished." He waved a hand at the dense weeds littering the floor, "If it ain't fighting against these, it's one of those fools gettin' themselves hurt. Incompetent, I tell ye- oi!" He broke off his sentence, hissing the command as he glowered at a boy who had been just a few inches away from falling into a thicket of thorns, "Watch it, ya bumbling ninny! Last thing I need is Viola complaining that her "precious" boy has thorns up his arse- Azeya help me, it's like you have two left feet! Stop making a fool of yerself!" The boy in question rolled his eyes at the old man, although casting an embarrassed glance toward Rose, though the message was clear enough that the boy probably wanted to dig a hole then and there just to hide. Addison shook his head, turning away as he mumbled, "...This doesn't happen often, but when it does..." He shook his head in dismay, irritation lining the man's face as he scowled, "Can't get good help these days, I swear." Another one of Viola's boys, the third youngest after Hugh and Sigrid, probably having been roped into helping Addison due to the old soldier frequenting the tavern often after a long day's work and chatting away with Merewin. Of course, the other men in the garden were older, old acquaintances of Addison and by extension some of the former guards that had been released from Emory's service due to him reducing the amount of military strength in recent years as the kingdom hadn't made many moves on Emory's land. The older men in question seemed to be chuckling, good natured reassurances being spoken to the boy as he cautiously picked his way out from the catastrophe he'd nearly caused for himself; his face reddened with the heat of embarrassment.

"Anyways, where are you off to? Visitin' to see our progress isn't the only thing ye set out to do today, is it?" A rare bit of interest from the usually gruff and rough gardener, but at the very least it seemed as if Addison was giving her some sort of politeness in regards to her presence. After all, the man knew very well due to Viola's excitement and a rather exasperated Merewin that Rose was indeed being courted by Emory, a sentence that Addison wouldn't have thought would be possible. He never asked about all the personal details, since he figured it wasn't his business to know. Plus, he knew well enough that Rose was fixing up the estate bit by bit, making it appear to actually be lived in rather than the empty and dead atmosphere it once had. Even the garden, as unfinished as it was had only begun to look a lot more lively due to Rose's influence. It's about damn time. The thought was also exasperated, but Addison knew well enough that Emory had done what he could to save the estate, including selling off most of the heirlooms and jewels that Maridel had wasted most of the fortune on, but considering Emory had indeed grew disinterested in anything other than his work, the whole estate suffered for it.

Rose’s smile only grew at the greeting she received from the gardener. His grumpiness was something that always amused her, especially after all of the interactions the two had. She hoped that he truly didn’t mind her instructing him as to what to do with the garden, though she figured it was better than leaving him with nothing to do as Emory had. She could tell that her tasks had given him a newfound motivation, a pep in his step per say. Nonetheless, she enjoyed talking with the older man. His stubbornness reminded her of the members of her father’s court back home. She allowed a chuckle to leave her. “You know you truly do enjoy my little visits Addison.” She teased in a light tone, the smile still very present on her face. She turned her gaze to glance around once again, just now noticing the extent of people working in the garden that day. It caused a warm feeling to blossom in her chest.

Her eyes widened slightly as the boy almost fell, but it seemed as though Addison’s snapping brought him out of it. She offered a somewhat sympathetic glance to the boy that was then labeled a son of Viola. She could pick out the resemblance to both Merewin and Viola in him at the mention. “Well, I am grateful for any help that you have. I was planning on coming out to assist you if no one else wanted to.” She confessed. It wasn’t like it would be the first time she got her hands dirty. She did managed to clean up the entirety of the training grounds with only a few bruises and the scar on her palm to show for it. She enjoyed gardening enough that she assumed it wouldn’t be hard to help the old soldier with. She would’ve hated for him to have to do most of the work on his own. “I am only energetic due to having a list of things I need to accomplish today. Besides, it is the nicest day we have had all spring so far. That is a mood-booster in itself.” She commented.

She didn’t let the slight shock she felt at his question show. She couldn’t recall a time where Addison had taken interest in what she had planned. Her posture straightened more then, though it was clear she was relaxed in his presence. “It indeed is not. I am planning on heading into town to get some supplies for the interior of the mansion. It is in desperate need of some paint. I put plenty of decorations up, but there is still more work to be done.” She explained, turning her head to glance towards it. The interior of the house would probably be the most extensive project she took on while living here. It wasn’t as if she minded. It help her kind and her hands busy. Besides, Emory did tell her she could do as she pleased with it. She turned to look back towards Addison once more. “Are there any supplies you would like for me to pick up while I am there?” She inquired, just like she had asked Viola before. She was already planning on stopping by a bakery and getting them some pastries as a show of her gratitude for all of the hard work they were doing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back