• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Nightmares of Barovia

OOC
Here

ValkyrieRose

Endless Witch
It is another day, completing another adventure in another city. The name of it escapes you, but that's the life you've chosen. No reason to remember a city that you'll soon be passing anyway.

A musty tavern in on a cold night is the only place to be in such places. Outside , fog envolpes the land, a thick cloud of most that dims the street lanterns. A Stark contrast to the fires within , the drinking, and the singing. The smell of cooked chicken, and ale by the kegloads filling your noses.

Such is the life you've come to lead.

What is it your Characters do in times like this?

The Good Doctor The Good Doctor AntirrhinumFraus AntirrhinumFraus WlfSamurai WlfSamurai PurpleHarriet PurpleHarriet

Typically I head to the nearest tavern for food and drink and to secure a bed for the night.

“Might we find a place to rest,” I say to the rest. “I tire this evening.”

While my fellow adventurer is catching a place to sleep in the tavern, I do waste my time with the tomfoolery going on around me. I take a seat a mediate to my goddess.

Piper hummed along to the ditty played within the tavern as she looked over to her party. How fun, Piper thought to herself seeing the musicians placed off in a corner. They weren't the most amazing she had heard, being a bard herself Piper considered herself a connoisseur of all matters of music. Yet she would gladly take the prospects of enthusiasm and a bustling tavern opposed to the grand concertos where everything was quite rigid in its expression. Doing a quick check she saw the table that Kayleth had taken and seemed to be lost in thought. Well she might be a bit boring to hang out tonight, and she wasn't tired yet so she's uninterested in Zasheir's pleas for rest. Tucking a stray lock of hair behind her ear Piper decided that booze and music would be her company for the night.

"I'm heading up to the barkeep for some ale. I can see if they have rooms available for us Zasheir dear." Piper offered. "Two rooms like usual yeah?"

“Oh dearest Piper,“ I say, half sarcasm, “you always take such good care of me. I will take an ale with you if you don’t mind the company. And food, if they have it.”

As you all talk amongst yourself, a man dressed in colorful clothing comes in, though his countence seem a bit grim. He looks like what you would imagine a gypsy to look like. He seems to scan the tavern, until his eyes locks with you all.

He goes over to the bartender. "A round for these adventurers. Their throats seem parched." He says. He takes out a bag of gold- easily enough to buy the whole tavern drinks for the night, and sets it on the table.

"Well, stranger," I saw with unease with a glance to Keyleth and her comment, "I suppose that's very kind. Is there something we can help you with? Perhaps you too are just looking for some company?" I can't help but pull the incantations stored in my mind forward, readying them should this little encounter go sideways.

The night giveth and the night taketh away but with Nyx by my side, there is none that can stand in my way. It was a simple sentence, but one that lit the dark fire that had enveloped Rolph's chest. He had been wronged in the past but after finding something to put his faith in, he had been strengthened. Travelling with these people had been therapeutic to him and he had even come to see them as members of his own family. It certainly helped that one of them also subscribed to the same religion that he did but that was a story for another time.

Rolph had been uncharacteristically quiet the whole time and anyone could see that he was in deep thought about something. The stranger that had promised them ale was enough to break him out of his thoughts though. "Rolph knows that nothing in this world comes for free. What do you want with Rolph and his companions strange man?"

"Dears, don't be too hasty talking a storm to a benefactor." Pipper chuckled at how Rolph and Zashier were too quick to ask and demand things from the man who strangely offered them a drink. Judging by the garb of the man Piper couldn't help but feel curious. In the realm of beasts the brighter and more ostentatious, the more dangerous. After all they hid behind the beauty of their color and and patterns tricking the eyes to see it as something lovely; a pretty jewel resting in a trap ready to remove ones hand if they were to try and claim the jewel. It was in part why Piper herself dressed in so many colors. Which had her thinking just what dangerous predator was offering a drink to a group of foreigners.

"Now a girl knows when to accept an offer, but why don't you tell this girl your tale while we share that drink stranger." Piper offered with a cheshire smile. "I can understand offering to buy me a drink, but the others as well? Don't blame me for being curious."

The man doesn't seem to give anything away by his stance or facial expressions at everyone's reactions, they seemed to be rather within expectations. He reaches into the fold of his sleeve, and produces a letter, sealed with a crest you do not recognize, and sets it down on the table.

"I have been sent to you by my master to deliver a message- a plea for help. If you are indeed brings of honor, please come to the village of Barovia at first light. With that, my business is concluded. Good Evening."

(Attached should be a picture of the crest in the envelope)

The Good Doctor The Good Doctor AntirrhinumFraus AntirrhinumFraus WlfSamurai WlfSamurai PurpleHarriet PurpleHarriet

Attachments

• Strahd's Crest.png
    Strahd's Crest.png
    120.1 KB · Views: 5
"Well," I say, watching him leave. "That was... Interesting. Are we concerned with magic contained within or should we just open it and read what it says?"

I laugh. “Truth, truth. Let it sit for a few minutes while I do this.” At that, I spend the next 10 minutes reading my spell book and casting the incantations necessary for detect magic.

With my enhanced sight, I look and see the letter is mundane.

“No magic, it seems,” I say. “Safe for reading.” I take a long draft of my ale.

"If such a gaudy man wanted to cast magic he would've done a charm or suggestion darlings," Pipper giggled picking up the letter, it was strange. She had never seen such a crest but the designs showed of an older antiquity with how complicated it was. Piper carefully ran her finger under the wax seal trying to preserve it as much she could while retrieving the letter within.

"Now, lets see what our peacock left behind for us." Piper suggested opening the letter.

"You can never be to careful about things Pipper. Rolph has seen much stranger things in his years than this." The dwarf narrowed his eyes at the man as he left the establishment but he couldn't help it. He considered these people his family and anyone who tried to take them from him would receive a warhammer to the face. Rolph horse-backed the ale that had been bought for him before moving over to Pipper.

"What does the letter say?"

The letter reads as follows. ( Or what I, as dm , can translate it as cuz jesus the handwriting on this letter is awful)

Hail to thee of might and valor,

I, a faithful servant of Barovia, send honor to thee. We plead for thy desperately needed assistance.

The love of my life, Ireena, has been inflicted with an evil so great that not even the good people of my village can protect her. She la huishes from her wound, and I would have her saved from this menace.

There is much wealth to be had in this community. I offer all that I have to thee and thine if thoy shall answer my humble plea

Come Quickly, for her time is at hand!! All that I have shall be thine!

Kolyan Indrovich
Burgomaster

“Burgomaster?” Keyleth said. She had a distrust for authority, but felt that this cause was good enough. “This seems urgent. We should get going as soon as possible.”

I sigh. The mixture of exhaustion and exhilaration for the next adventure creates a pit in my chest, but I take a sip of ale to give myself a moment to center. The frothy beverage warms on the way down and allows me to ease into a form of relaxation.

"Yes, we are in-between adventures at the moment," I add. "This seems like a good opportunity for us. But, can we finish our food and drink, first? I'd love to take a few more moments to steep in it all."

"Zashier's right, we're inbetween but we shouldn't jump head first into things. The man left us a nice little sum. We should enjoy food, ale, and hopefully a bath and a full nights sleep before we run off again into some issue. Especially if it looks to be dire." Pipper offered as a compromise. The letter had claims for urgency but Piper preferred to do things at a more rational pace, she was not a dog to fetch and heel at the first call someone made. Its been a while that they could just take a moment to relax and sleep on an actual bed. She was going to bloody sleep on a bed and damn the letter.

"First light we will go out into the fray Keyleth." Pipper added in hopes of appeasing the paladin.

"Rolph thinks that this is acceptable. Rolph was running low on magics for the day and needed a rest in any event but you can be sure that he will be at full strength for tomorrow!" The dwarf picked up his pint of ale and downed the beverage, slamming it on the table afterwards. If someone needed help from them then who would they be to not offer aid especially when there was a reward involved. This Barovia place was foreign to him but there was nothing like going on new adventures in distant lands right?

“That seems reasonable” Keyleth replied. She got herself a meal and some water. “I myself have been worn out from the previous adventure.” She had been too quick to suggest leaving. I guess that’s just what happens you have an almost cultist devotion to getting things done.

The night comes quitly, but surely, the cgold the man provided the bartender being more than enough to ensure that your night is delightful and your worries erased. Such is the quality of the evening.

Morning comes, and Barovia beckons. The morning sun peaks out into your windows, and the rooster gives a resounding caw to greet the village.

A villager mentions to you that to get to Barovia, one must take the road through the Svallich Woods. It is a few hours walk to the gates marking the land. A feeeling of exictement and dread alightful fills the air. Is it the nerves? is it the acall to adventure?

Who can say?

“I’m glad we were able to rest,” I say when we’ve gathered. “I feel much better and look forward to getting out on the road.” I spend the time before we leave tidying my provisions and gear. Excitement rushes through my veins. A new adventure. More importantly, a new land to visit and learn its lore. Perhaps some secrets. Just more knowledge to be had.

I breath in the sweet scent of possibility in the morning air.

While she feels the excitement same as everyone else, Keyleth’s experience is tainted. She is distracted by old memories, ones she really would be better off leaving behind. However if she did, she wouldn’t be a paladin. “Come on, let’s head through the gates.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back