• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Nightmare Hunter OOC

I copied your character sheets but not images into the OP of the character thread. Ignore what I said before.

Cyborg, I noticed your post that was in what is now the IC thread was deleted. Are you going to be putting something else up to start us off?

Ooops. Crap. I meant to remove blazingswords character sheet since he hadn't, but that was not the post I was looking for. :P I'll rewrite it. The blind man must also (re)visit Auron and accept him back into the order.

So, I was a little confused by the post. Is it supposed to be taking place on Andela's way to Arcadia?

Yes. You indicated in your character bio that she intended to make a pilgrimage there to become a Nightmare Hunter. It seemed like a good hook for the story.

I know. I just wanted to make sure that's what you were referring to and not some time lapse after her experience in Arcadia. Wasn't sure where we were planning on starting everything off at. :)

I wasn't entirely sure how to start either. So I just used the last bit of your bio as a hook for the story.

Yay this is up now. I was just about to ask if Auron had been accepted but it seems my question has been answered.
Where would you like him to come in at? If he is allowed to keep his airship then Auron could show up anywhere once prompted to :)

BlazingSword BlazingSword Yes, you can keep the airship. I like the idea as it opens the possibility for more adventures and gives the characters a means to move and possibly a home. I imagine a smaller airship, akin to a flying yacht. It could still be more extravagant to signify his wealth however, possibly with geometric atlantean design on the exterior. He seems to have a blue color scheme and I envision the airship being as such.

In fitting with technology, the airship would be nuclear powered, using a reactor to electrolyze hydrogen out of water in the air and fill the gas sac, while also heating the hydrogen gas. Meaning it functions as both a hot air balloon and a zepplin and providing for even more lift while not needing to refuel that often. The airship has minimal risk of exploding simply because the technology is widespread, developed and nearly perfected in this verse. This could also explain why he travels alone and the airship would need no more maintenance than say an RV or boat.

Awesome I really like that concept.
Similar to the early final fantasy airships.
As for the blue color scheme. Yes!!! Totally. The Carpathia family crest is actually quite similar to what I imagine atlantian runes would be like. And with the Zeppelin like design that would allow for alot of decorations. I see lots of Blues, blacks, and silver inlaid embroidery. It basically looks Royal no matter how you slice it but would be very small. Perhaps a crew of only two or three nameless servants to his family. (We'd need him to have at least a deckhand, and a co-pilot)

Auron would probably know already that he speaks only in rhyme because he was cursed. As you probably guessed the Blindfolded Man is not human, but rather an ancient demon who has attempted to redeem himself by creating an order that seeks peace between the human world and the supernatural.

"A curse is upon me, a magical crime.
Speak to humans I can, but only in rhyme."

I'm glad you enjoy his manner of speaking. Some people find it really annoying. Don't worry his character won't be around for the whole story, or very much at all after the beginning.

Auron would probably know already that he speaks only in rhyme because he was cursed. As you probably guessed the Blindfolded Man is not human, but rather an ancient demon who has attempted to redeem himself by creating an order that seeks peace between the human world and the supernatural.

"A curse is upon me, a magical crime.
Speak to humans I can, but only in rhyme."

I'm glad you enjoy his manner of speaking. Some people find it really annoying. Don't worry his character won't be around for the whole story, or very much at all after the beginning.
Now I like him even more as he reminds me of etrigan.

Anything else that Auron would know as a hunter? I'm fairly certain you got most of what he will need in the initial post but if there is anything else you can think of it help. :)

I am going to have Andela go through the book of trials and I wasnt Auron to redo it. The book of trials is a pocket dimension set to challenge a hunter to see if they are fit to join the order, and the trials follow a general theme of a duality. In that someone must fulfill one role; then the opposite. (example; they must be both a Pupil and a Teacher) While someone is undergoing the trials, others can read the book to keep up with what is going on in their trial. Though the trial changes for each person. It will also award them with their weapon.

I would imagine Auron still has his previous weapon. (I presume a huge sword considering the picture you included.) Many hunters have gone through the trials multiple times and gotten multiple weapons; though those "farming" the trials will find that each trial gets successively more difficult.

Also most hunter weapons follow a theme of being compacted, formed of metal leaflets and extending out via enchantments. (If you know the sword-pen from the Percy Jackson and the Olympians movie thats exactly what its like) So more than likely instead of a huge-ass sword on his hip, he'd just carry a sword handle and the blade would extend out with the click of a button. The weapons are made of damascus steel and coated with silver. The silver coating does need to be replenished, and this bit of maintenance could be the job of Andela, depending upon how long the RP goes on.

I will also soon be introducing Tesseract Runes. These are placed in various Hunter sanctuaries and temples and link these locations, offering a means of travel between these sanctuaries. Or as the Blindfolded man would go on to describe them:

"Mystical shapes made of eight cubes,
Connecting the world like magical tubes."

Also at this juncture, you both have the opportunity to speak with the Blindfolded man, ask any additional questions, or react to what he said. He isn't just leaving you with riddles. Presumably in reality he is visiting one of you after the other, as though his powers are expansive he is not able to be in multiple places at once. If not you can both just progress to the mountain and we can get to the part where your characters are introduced to one another.

Possibly a second weapon, or an alchemical ability. Andela and Auron are both sword fighters by the looks of it, and there are missed opportunities for other fighting styles to work their way in there. A few common types of weapons are:

-Bow staff. A literal hybrid of a bow and a staff, it is an extending rod that can function as a staff. There are variants of it that can become a spear, haliberd, scythe, or double bladed pike. The second transformation will cause the rod to bend and two halves of a bowstring to shoot together from either end and it functioning as a bow. This weapon tends to be awarded to more conservative fighters.

-Combat Gauntlets. Gauntlets containing three weapons: An expanding magical shield made of metal leaflets just like the swords I described earlier, a small crossbow, and a small assassin's creed style hidden blade. This weapon is only ever awarded on second or third attempts at the book of trials, never the first.

-Zero-Friction skates. Ice skates that work on every surface. Enchanted with alchemy, they freeze the water as the wearer passes over it. Never awarded on first pass through the trials, and generally awarded to characters favoring agility and avoidance of conflicts. The skates also fold into boots.

-Strength gauntlets. Big runed stone gauntlets that make you really strong. Not my most creative idea.

Also I dont think your characters should know one another. While Andela has had thoughts of joining the hunters and knows who they are, she is new to it. I think there is an opportunity for them to meet here in Arcadia.

Floodwater31 Floodwater31 . 3's a crowd. So sure. Nightmare Hunter Characters. I would like to suggest but not force you to have your character be a greenhorn to the nightmare hunter order. I probably should have mentioned this originally but BlazingSword had already created his character and I didn't want him to have to change it. This helps me a lot for introducing plot elements.

Possibly a second weapon, or an alchemical ability. Andela and Auron are both sword fighters by the looks of it, and there are missed opportunities for other fighting styles to work their way in there. A few common types of weapons are:

-Bow staff. A literal hybrid of a bow and a staff, it is an extending rod that can function as a staff. There are variants of it that can become a spear, haliberd, scythe, or double bladed pike. The second transformation will cause the rod to bend and two halves of a bowstring to shoot together from either end and it functioning as a bow. This weapon tends to be awarded to more conservative fighters.

-Combat Gauntlets. Gauntlets containing three weapons: An expanding magical shield made of metal leaflets just like the swords I described earlier, a small crossbow, and a small assassin's creed style hidden blade. This weapon is only ever awarded on second or third attempts at the book of trials, never the first.

-Zero-Friction skates. Ice skates that work on every surface. Enchanted with alchemy, they freeze the water as the wearer passes over it. Never awarded on first pass through the trials, and generally awarded to characters favoring agility and avoidance of conflicts. The skates also fold into boots.

-Strength gauntlets. Big runed stone gauntlets that make you really strong. Not my most creative idea.

Also I dont think your characters should know one another. While Andela has had thoughts of joining the hunters and knows who they are, she is new to it. I think there is an opportunity for them to meet here in Arcadia.

Floodwater31 Floodwater31 . 3's a crowd. So sure. Nightmare Hunter Characters

Im not gonna lie... The least creative seems to be the most appealing to me. I like playing physically strong characters.
The combat gauntlets are a close second.

As for the meeting in Arcadia that sounds good to me as well.

Also if your worried about fighting skills conflicting fear not!!! I see Auron as more of a heavy swordsman type, weilding greatswords, hammers, and other heavy weapons. He relies on his atlantian strength to one hand them, or dual wield if needed. In fact I was gonna suggest the sword he weilds be a two handed weapon that he simply weilds one handed.

Thanks, scrolling down and seeing several paragraphs less than ten seconds after I posted was scary though.

I just finished my sheet when I realized I probably should have asked something. My character is infected with a feral strain of lycanthropy but suppresses it with drugs, is this possible/okay?

In universe, lycanthropy could not be surpassed with drugs, so far as I have planned in the rules of this world. I wouldn't say he couldn't do it, I simply never explored that concept, so you can do it if you really want to. I know of at least one lycanthrope in the 'canon' version of the story set in this verse that uses a unique enchanted ring to control their lycanthropy, so that would be more in line with the rules of the verse. (I'm discarding all the 'canon' characters and their unique abilities and simply relying on the setting) The other option would be to of course hybridize the strains of lycanthropy I outlined in the OP; he can control going into his wolf form, but has very little, if any control once he's in it. This could even become a character trait; he's afraid of losing control while in wolf form, and this causes him to lose control even more. This opens the opportunity for him gaining greater control over the form as the story progresses. Though it's just a suggestion and I'm open to you going down your own route.

Also your character makes a lot of links to the 'canon' version of Nightmare Hunter. Marcus is the name of one of the character's fathers. His backstory of being from a family who's house was broken into by werewolves is similar to the protagonists, and his sword fighting style of drawing a second blade is similar to that of a third character who has a sword with a dagger in the hilt. It could be possible he is awarded a very similar weapon upon completing the book of trials.

-+-

Though now we have three sword-based fighters, but I'm in control of what weapons are officially awarded at the trials. Though it could be interesting to have them be similar-but-different; all sword fighters but with different approaches and philosophies in battle, it might also do some good and offer the team some other options when combat scenes arise. It would also be good for giving the characters more of a challenge, since they're all already trained with swords, having them be put out of their element. Ultimately the book of trials awards weapons based on personality and combat philosophy, not what the character is skilled with. I think, from the POV of the book of trials, the sword falls in line with a brave, straightforward, chivalrous or slightly aggressive character.

Ultimatley theres nothing stopping Marcus and Andela from coating their swords with Silver and using them instead of the weapon they are awarded, or in conjunction with them.

-+-

Also I'd like for all three characters to meet up at the location north of Arcadia to begin the book of trials. Their timelines will sync up there and the RP may start moving a little slower because we will have to await everyone's input on major plot elements and descisons.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back