Advice/Help New to the Group

CaineCase

Case by Case Basis
Hey everyone, I'm a little intimidated by the group RPs and all that because I don't see behind the curtain. I want to potentially set up an RP, but I'm a little lost on the whole process of setting up the group rp. What's everyone's process on setting one up? From the first interest post, all the way to the first RP post and so on. I wanna be organized and don't want to ruin anyone's fun if my process is all wrong.

Last edited:
...Huh... I would have thought more RPNers woulda posted to help out...

Alright, I'll help ya out, then, Corvotius:

One of the dedicated helpers here made a whole beginners guide to RPN, so I hope this helps you out!

Also:

^ To help ya write that interest check! :csmile:

Uhm, I haven't really made a real RP in a while, so I don't think telling you my process will help...

Here is where you post your interest check, however!

I know this ain't much, but I hope it helped a little... :closedeyescryingfrown:

...Huh... I would have thought more RPNers woulda posted to help out...

Alright, I'll help ya out, then, Corvotius:

One of the dedicated helpers here made a whole beginners guide to RPN, so I hope this helps you out!

Also:

^ To help ya write that interest check! :csmile:

Uhm, I haven't really made a real RP in a while, so I don't think telling you my process will help...

Here is where you post your interest check, however!

I know this ain't much, but I hope it helped a little... :closedeyescryingfrown:

Thank you!

Before I begin, I just wanna thank Minako Minako for swiftly bringing up that work of mine!

Now, in terms of the order of things specifically...

Step 0: Idea - wait.
Since this is your first roleplay here I'm assuming, you can pretty much skip this step. Still, normally I recommend waiting for a while after getting an idea to let the hype die down. Why would you want the hype to die down? Well, that's because you wouldn't believe how many GMs I've come across who are super excited about teir idea and in less than two weeks give up on it because it just doesn't interested them as much as they thought it did, or simply lost that interest. This isn't uncommon, especially when it comes to fandoms or stuff based on fandoms.

I keep a three week rule of thumb with me, any idea whose interest doesn't last for three weeks for me I won't act upon in terms of making a roleplay for it.

You should also make sure to make your roleplays at a good time for you - the GM should not be immediately absent after making the roleplay because of a predictable or semi-predictable event IRL, and should instead have waited for better timing.

Step 1: Interest check.
Create your interest check and wait for a number of players HIGHER than the minimum you hope to have in your roleplay. Remember to expect to loose players in the early stages of the RP, as ghosting is pretty much an inevitability and if it causes your RP to be crippled beyond functioning, that could spell the end of said RP.

Step 2: An OOC
I will advocate for first making an OOC where players can hang out,chat and discuss things.

Step 3: Crucial information
Info players absolutely need to know before making characters.

Step 4: Character Sheet Thread
A thread for the character sheets.

Step 5: Bonuses (quick)
Bonus information that you can add relatively quickly while players work on their characters preferably, and has enough relevance to need to be added before players start roleplaying.

Step 6: An actual IC
The roleplay itself.

Step 7: Slow Bonuses
Other information that can just added along gradually without really negatively impacting the players.

This is just one method and my preferred method, and you can really work in whatever way makes you more comfortable. Still, if you want a guideline, this is one you can feel free to use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back