News New Desktop Notifications

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will clicking the browser notification still open a new tab on my browser or will it take me to the already opened tab now? It's a problem I only recently realized after seeing I had like 7 rpn's open at once.

What if I'm a mac user? Oh wait I'm a mac user.

It works for firefox/chrome on mac. Not completely sure about safari.

I've been trying to get my hands on a mac for a while so I can test things like this (its okay, its the superior OS, I only build my own windows machines for gaming).

Will clicking the browser notification still open a new tab on my browser or will it take me to the already opened tab now? It's a problem I only recently realized after seeing I had like 7 rpn's open at once.

Not completely sure. I think it effects the tab that sent it.

Not completely sure. I think it effects the tab that sent it.
I've come to realize that clicking the notification doesn't open anything anymore. I'm ok with that. Essentially I answered my own question... I think. Unless clicking the notification is supposed to open something. Then I dunno...

I've come to realize that clicking the notification doesn't open anything anymore. I'm ok with that. Essentially I answered my own question... I think. Unless clicking the notification is supposed to open something. Then I dunno...

The answer should be yes.

When I click on stuff, it opens it just fine.

Just give your site cache time to catch up due to the update I pushed out, it might still be thinking we are using the old one.

Does the update remove the red bell from the corner of the site? Because I noticed it wasn't there and that I didn't receive any desktop notifications about this thread, however when I went to see if the notifications were allowed they actually were.

Alright, a little update: While I was writing this post someone else posted in a thread I followed and the desktop notification showed up just fine. So I guess this whole post is useless now.

*notifiction goes off in the middle of class*
Teacher: What... are... you... doing?! *evil death-stare*
Me: Eep, nothing! *switches to classwork only to realise that I didn't do any*

I got's a question:

Where'd the red bell thingy go...?
Does the update remove the red bell from the corner of the site? Because I noticed it wasn't there and that I didn't receive any desktop notifications about this thread, however when I went to see if the notifications were allowed they actually were.

Alright, a little update: While I was writing this post someone else posted in a thread I followed and the desktop notification showed up just fine. So I guess this whole post is useless now.

The bell got removed with the fix :)!

So before this fix came out, clicking on the desktop notification would open the relevant post in a new tab

Now clicking it does nothing

Is it possible to have it navigate to the post in the current tab?

After the update notifications stopped working. I got at least a couple of messages since, and they didn't pop up. The browser has the setting on and it worked before with the bell thingie.
Browser is Chrome mobile. I'll try to disable and enable them again and see what happens.

Update: tried disabling and enabling again. Didn't seem to fix the problem. I'm still not receiving them on my phone.

Last edited:
When you did the first update with the little bell at got notifications just fine on android and computer now after this update my phone won't get any updates, it doesn't ask permissions :(

I went into my settings on my android, and it said it was already allowed but I haven't gotten any notifications. :/

It seems that people not getting them before have them now but those who got them before don't have them now? I know that Staff recommended clearing cookies and cache.

What if I'm a mac user? Oh wait I'm a mac user.

It works for firefox/chrome on mac. Not completely sure about safari.

I've been trying to get my hands on a mac for a while so I can test things like this (its okay, its the superior OS, I only build my own windows machines for gaming).

Being on Linux (which is the same Kernel that Mac is based on) notifications work the same way throughout Firefox and Chrome. The layout of how to enable notifications is a bit different (shown in a later screenshot), but it works the same way.
Since I'm on Linux (and Safari isn't even supported through Windows anymore which means running it through Wine is pointless), I can't tell you about that, however I'd recommend dropping it either way and moving to Google Chrome, or Vivaldi (which is a Chromium based browser).

notifs.png
As you can see there is a list of things that you can change, notifications being "Ask (default)", however in my experience it never ACTUALLY asks you if you want to enable notifications and you simply need to change it to "Allow"

So far notifications have been working well for me under Windows Chrome. No complaints here.

Being on Linux (which is the same Kernel that Mac is based on) notifications work the same way throughout Firefox and Chrome.
If I may be a pedant for a bit, Linux is not the kernel macOS (formerly called OS X) is based on. macOS uses Darwin as a kernel, which is BSD-derived, which is a Unix kernel. Linux is Unix-like, but contains no Unix code and is not a certified UNIX variant. Either way, notifications happen in user space and as such are more reliant on the graphical environment (GNOME, KDE Plasma...) than on the underlying kernel.

That being said, while my experience with Safari is many years old, I do agree that moving to Firefox or Chrome/Chromium-based browsers is a good idea.

So far notifications have been working well for me under Windows Chrome. No complaints here.

If I may be a pedant for a bit, Linux is not the kernel macOS (formerly called OS X) is based on. macOS uses Darwin as a kernel, which is BSD-derived, which is a Unix kernel. Linux is Unix-like, but contains no Unix code and is not a certified UNIX variant. Either way, notifications happen in user space and as such are more reliant on the graphical environment (GNOME, KDE Plasma...) than on the underlying kernel.

That being said, while my experience with Safari is many years old, I do agree that moving to Firefox or Chrome/Chromium-based browsers is a good idea.

https://www.lifewire.com/mac-os-x-is-not-linux-distribution-2204744

TLDR - Both Mac OS X, the operating system used on Apple's desktop and notebook computers, and Linux are based on the Unix operating system, which was developed at Bell Labs in 1969 by Dennis Ritchie and Ken Thompson.

Also
https://www.quora.com/Is-Mac-OS-X-essentially-built-on-top-of-Linux
Again, TLDR - Linux is based off of a Unix-like kernel, which is based off of the BSD kernel that mac runs on.

They both follow POSIX standards.

While they are not exactly the same kernel, there is no major comparable difference in the heart that makes them stand out from each other BESIDES the DE that Mac has created for their OS. Basically you're defending a difference of "Unix" and "Unix-like" operating systems, which makes very little sense to me.

As well, I agree with the DE part, that is to say that desktop-notifications are more reliant on the DE rather than the kernel, however, in this case, both are actually heavily INDEPENDENT, and what really matters is the program itself (in this case our browser). Since the "desktop-notification" is actually doing absolutely nothing to the DE itself, it's simply projecting a tab that the program (again, our browser) has created. And, considering that the program (our browser) is coded universally to be able to run the same version on all OS's, the ability of the kernel to be able to understand that language is more important than the graphical element behind the desktop-notification, or "push" notification.

I know it's been a while... What about Microsoft Edge? ...I know, I know *hears booing and hissing* No judging, I'm a Microsoft girl! XD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back