• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dice New D&D Group Galore

How do we calculate our starting money? I think i get 15gp from my background and 5d4 x10 from being a cleric?

Is that 115gp for me?

This sounds right in my book, unless the DM wants to change it. I honestly keep forgetting to roll for my money and usually just go with the standard amount from my background. I should capitalise on the system a bit more. =B

How do we calculate our starting money? I think i get 15gp from my background and 5d4 x10 from being a cleric?

Is that 115gp for me?
That's correct. It's based on class and background. Though you'll either get the starting equipment from your class plus your background gold OR roll for starting gold, not both unfortunately.

I always just used the starting equipment and haven't used money roll thing to pick out custom starting equipment. I guess I could try it since wizards don't really need much besides a spell book.

I always just used the starting equipment and haven't used money roll thing to pick out custom starting equipment. I guess I could try it since wizards don't really need much besides a spell book.
Usually the wizards I've had get the gold and buy a spellbound and a 50gp diamond for chromatic orb lol

So how is everyone doing with character creation? I'm mostly done just adding random stuff to backstory and wondering if I should switch out some of my current spell picks.

Oh yeah, backstory is a thing, isn't it? I thought I had everything completed, laughably! I will get to work on that.

Regarding spells, I think the best information is below for spells:
  1. You can only cast one leveled spell (1st level, 2nd level, etc) per turn. Cantrips can be cast with an action while you can use Healing Word with a bonus action, so you can use Toll the Dead which deals damage and Healing Word which heals damage in the same breath, pretty much.
  2. The levels of spells increase by 1 every 2 character levels in a class (1st for Level 1, 2nd for Level 3, 3rd for Level 5, and so on). This does not blend with other classes which can use spells. A Sorcerer L5 / Wizard L5 can only use 3rd level spells still, whereas a Wizard L10 can use 5th level spells.
  3. It is good to not put all of your eggs in the same basket, meaning not to use an arsenal of spells that all rely on wisdom (WIS) saves or dexterity (DEX) saves in the case that you come up against someone with high wisdom or dexterity. This means your spells have a higher chance of working against the enemy. Same with to-hit spells, which use your hit modifier to go past the armour class (AC) of an opponent. If you roll anything higher than the AC, or your opponent rolls lower than the diffuculty check (DC), good things happen! If not, chances are it will do absolutely no damage, which is aggravating, or half damage to your enemy, which is still okay in my book.
For early character levels, I think #1 and #3 are best for you. Mix and match your spells to suit your character and situations. Since your character can do one action, one bonus action, and one reaction, it is nice to have a move set that can use all three.

My current wizard spell choices but I keep thinking of switching them
Cantrips:
Fire bolt: blast fire while standing far away easy pick
Prestidigitation: just fun out of combat spell
Shocking Grasp: just in case of melee
level 1
Find Familiar: just like this spell
Mage armor: because I need the extra ac to not die
Shield: spell there was to not die
Magic Missile: just to make sure damage happens when I start having bad rolls
Burning Hands: aoe damage keep considering replacing for ice knife
Detect magic: Out of combat support
Sleep: op sleep at low level
Alarm: out of combat support but I keep thinking of switching it for comprehend languages

Oh yeah, backstory is a thing, isn't it? I thought I had everything completed, laughably! I will get to work on that.

Regarding spells, I think the best information is below for spells:
  1. You can only cast one leveled spell (1st level, 2nd level, etc) per turn. Cantrips can be cast with an action while you can use Healing Word with a bonus action, so you can use Toll the Dead which deals damage and Healing Word which heals damage in the same breath, pretty much.
  2. The levels of spells increase by 1 every 2 character levels in a class (1st for Level 1, 2nd for Level 3, 3rd for Level 5, and so on). This does not blend with other classes which can use spells. A Sorcerer L5 / Wizard L5 can only use 3rd level spells still, whereas a Wizard L10 can use 5th level spells.
  3. It is good to not put all of your eggs in the same basket, meaning not to use an arsenal of spells that all rely on wisdom (WIS) saves or dexterity (DEX) saves in the case that you come up against someone with high wisdom or dexterity. This means your spells have a higher chance of working against the enemy. Same with to-hit spells, which use your hit modifier to go past the armour class (AC) of an opponent. If you roll anything higher than the AC, or your opponent rolls lower than the diffuculty check (DC), good things happen! If not, chances are it will do absolutely no damage, which is aggravating, or half damage to your enemy, which is still okay in my book.
For early character levels, I think #1 and #3 are best for you. Mix and match your spells to suit your character and situations. Since your character can do one action, one bonus action, and one reaction, it is nice to have a move set that can use all three.
Thanks for putting that out there. Just got back from a 7 hour drive so I haven't had much time to write anything out XD.

Mage armor: because I need the extra ac to not die
Shield: spell there was to not die
Wizards in a nutshell.

Thanks!
So if we're starting at lvl1 (cleric) i get 3 cantrips and 2 level 1 spells? And then at lvl2 i still have 3 cantrips but 3 lvl1 spells? (and a divine domain feature, apparently, though I don't know what it's supposed to be - my cleric would be lvl2 and I can't find any bonuses in the life domain for that?)

Do domain spells take up the slots? Like at lvl1 life domain a cleric gets bless and cure wounds, would having those ready take up the two first level spell slots I have or do i get to pick 2 more? And do I write down all known spells (like all listed first level spells for clerics) but I can only have 2 ready to use? (Or can I only have 2 spells at all)

1632065311955.png

Also, do I just take my cleric's starting equipment and roll for gold (and ignore the stuff I would get from my background)?

I would only list the spells you have prepared since it would be a lot of work listing every single spell.

Domain spells do not count against the number of spells you can prepare. You have cleric level + wisdom mod number of spells you can prepare (Idk what your wisdom score is)

life cleric abilities you have

Disciple of Life
Also starting at 1st level, your healing spells are more effective. Whenever you use a spell of 1st level or higher to restore hit points to a creature, the creature regains additional hit points equal to 2 + the spell's level.

Channel Divinity: Preserve Life
Starting at 2nd level, you can use your Channel Divinity to heal the badly injured.

As an action, you present your holy symbol and evoke healing energy that can restore a number of hit points equal to five times your cleric level. Choose any creatures within 30 feet of you, and divide those hit points among them. This feature can restore a creature to no more than half of its hit point maximum. You can't use this feature on an undead or a construct.

Alright, so starting at lvl1 I have bless and cure wounds, and i can also have let's say sanctuary and healing word, so i have a total of 4 spells prepared that way, but can add 2 more?

My wisdom is 16 (+3 modifier i think), so at lvl 1 that's 4 spells i can have ready on hand (excluding the 2 from life domain), so i can add two more on top of sanctuary and healing word?

Alright, so starting at lvl1 I have bless and cure wounds, and i can also have let's say sanctuary and healing word, so i have a total of 4 spells prepared that way, but can add 2 more?

My wisdom is 16 (+3 modifier i think), so at lvl 1 that's 4 spells i can have ready on hand (excluding the 2 from life domain), so i can add two more on top of sanctuary and healing word?
yes you would be able to add 2 more spells

Here is my character so far. Fear her mighty power!!!

Attachments

• Clara Ravenwoods Wizard.pdf
    677.6 KB · Views: 4
Looks great!

I think my spellcasting ability as a cleric is wisdom, but what's my spell save dc and spell attack bonus?

Also some things I still can't figure out :

Attack bonus, armor class, hit points/hit point max (i get 2d8 hit dice from being lvl2 cleric and have +3 const, does that mean 19 hit points/hit point max? And I currently have leather armor, a shield and +0 dex, so 13 armor class? Not sure about the attack bonus)

Last edited:
Here is my character so far. Fear her mighty power!!!
Clara looks fantastic and I love the backstory! Now I'm interested to see how she got that fey touched feat 🤔 seems like this is going to be fun.

Looks great!

I think my spellcasting ability as a cleric is wisdom, but what's my spell save dc and spell attack bonus?
Spell save DC is 8 + proficiency bonus (2) + spellcasting ability modifier (3) = 13 spell save DC.

Spell attack bonus is your proficiency bonus + spellcasting ability modifier so it would be 5 for you.

Clara looks fantastic and I love the backstory! Now I'm interested to see how she got that fey touched feat 🤔 seems like this is going to be fun.

Spell save DC is 8 + proficiency bonus (2) + spellcasting ability modifier (3) = 13 spell save DC.

Spell attack bonus is your proficiency bonus + spellcasting ability modifier so it would be 5 for you.
Thanks!

Can we roll for trinkets? (I read that you can roll a d100 or something for a trinket, thought it'd be fun, it's fine if not!)

Nice!

I rolled 63, which is an alabaster mask (i'm guessing that means like a white crystal mask?) and now I'm tempted to include that in my character design.

Also I was talking to some people and they said my rolls are kinda high (I got 11 str and dex, 16 cons cha and wis, 13 int, that being with my half elf bonuses of +2 cha, +1 wis and +1 cons).
Should I reroll for more even stats or something? I'm fine with whatever I get, since I'm just learning mechanics xD

Welp, here's my character, Omen!

The mask is cannon now.

I'm still missing atk bonus and initiative, I'm not sure what they are for me. If anyone wants to skim my sheet just to check if everything's in order that'd be lovely!

Attachments

• Omen.pdf
    652.5 KB · Views: 5
Very defensive character and I don't think I would of ever gone without any offensive spells on a cleric. The 16 is charisma is strange to me are you planning to multiclass into bard/sorcerer/warlock at some point? Otherwise having that in dex would be better since you want light crossbow as your main weapon and are using light armor.

Right now you have +0 in initiative and +2 to hit with light crossbow since your dex is +0 and mace is also +2 to hit to hit since strength is +0.

Very defensive character and I don't think I would of ever gone without any offensive spells on a cleric. The 16 is charisma is strange to me are you planning to multiclass into bard/sorcerer/warlock at some point? Otherwise having that in dex would be better since you want light crossbow as your main weapon and are using light armor.

Right now you have +0 in initiative and +2 to hit with light crossbow since your dex is +0 and mace is also +2 to hit to hit since strength is +0.
Thanks! I think charisma and wisdom are my saving throws as a cleric, and i naturally get +2 charisma as a half elf. Does that do any good (having it high since it's for saving throws)?

I could switch Command for guiding bolt to have an offensive spell? I'd try to make Omen more of a healer/long rage attacks, so I'd rather not have inflict wounds (i think it has a touch range so idk)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back