• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern New Civilizations 1st Edition OOC

Main
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Other
Here
ShinGeorgeTownRaja ShinGeorgeTownRaja LOL, no worries about the height / weight thing. I just happened to notice it. And there is a reason I always list Height on my Blank CS forms ... and Build or some such rather than weight.

LOL, I had considered England, but if I had gone there I would have used a very different character - one NOT based on me, but still very, very detailed.

ShinGeorgeTownRaja ShinGeorgeTownRaja LOL, no worries about the height / weight thing. I just happened to notice it. And there is a reason I always list Height on my Blank CS forms ... and Build or some such rather than weight.

LOL, I had considered England, but if I had gone there I would have used a very different character - one NOT based on me, but still very, very detailed.
Dang. I'm not sure if I'm rushing things, but do you think that I should go ahead and start the IC or should we wait for others to get done with their CS?

Dang. I'm not sure if I'm rushing things, but do you think that I should go ahead and start the IC or should we wait for others to get done with their CS?
As much as I want to get started, I would give them a little more time. No reason we can't start writing up our initial posts offline. It isn't as though we are starting out together. I hope some saw the links I posted. Good stuff that describes current development as of 5000 BCE. I even managed to find some material that describes the actual size of the "cities" in my area. (about 200x250 ... I need to go back and check if that was feet or meters. I believe it was metric as it was a scientific abstract with technical jargon that made even MY head hurt.)

As much as I want to get started, I would give them a little more time. No reason we can't start writing up our initial posts offline. It isn't as though we are starting out together. I hope some saw the links I posted. Good stuff that describes current development as of 5000 BCE. I even managed to find some material that describes the actual size of the "cities" in my area. (about 200x250 ... I need to go back and check if that was feet or meters. I believe it was metric as it was a scientific abstract with technical jargon that made even MY head hurt.)
That's reasonable. We definitely need a blank map of the world, that's for sure. I remember it being one on the NationStates forum where there used to be a blank world map in the New Civilizations RP but it was different than the current one that they're using there. I just need to search for it! It won't take long, hopefully.

30 second search ... and found this ... just in case. Didn't take time to make sure it is free ... or the image file type, etc. But ... have fun. Specifically mentions being good for making alternate timeline maps.

Edit: Doh .. read the description .. says "download for free"

Thought this might help. (Though I see stuff about god Kings and wonder if a little fiction is mixed in ...)

poking around on this site and i wouldn't rely on it as a source; their source page is full of hot bullshit/ancient aliens garbage. honestly the wikipedia neolithic page is a really good starting point, and should be able to direct folks to more specific sources for their regions

poking around on this site and i wouldn't rely on it as a source; their source page is full of hot bullshit/ancient aliens garbage. honestly the wikipedia neolithic page is a really good starting point, and should be able to direct folks to more specific sources for their regions
It’s pretty much on point for my area. Been doing a lot of research. Actual field studies at new digs.

Research aside, I'm probably gonna focus on trading information and hoarding valuables until I unlock steampunk hover bikes.

Oh yeah, speaking of this, you're American, right? lol

Yep ... I found the stuff on Gobe whatever via another search. I was tracing the history of domestication in my area ... and the invention of the wheel. (I wanted to see what a small group my character encounters would have. IE Ox? Cart? Sledge, etc ... Ugh .... Let's say the answer wasn't as good as I would like. But I did run across some other info that was interesting. I am still trying to decide if they will think my character is a god, demigod, shaytan, djinn, etc ... IE, do they worship him, kill him, or flee?

I'd probably just pose as a mysterious ethereal being and leave it at that. I bring knowledge and haven't failed y'all before kind of vibe. They can have leaders n' stuff, take the attention of unfriendly eyes away from me.

Yep ... I found the stuff on Gobe whatever via another search. I was tracing the history of domestication in my area ... and the invention of the wheel. (I wanted to see what a small group my character encounters would have. IE Ox? Cart? Sledge, etc ... Ugh .... Let's say the answer wasn't as good as I would like. But I did run across some other info that was interesting. I am still trying to decide if they will think my character is a god, demigod, shaytan, djinn, etc ... IE, do they worship him, kill him, or flee?

yeah, the trouble with this time period is that everything is super localized, and it's hard to find some info outside of really crunchy academic articles. provided you have access to them, of course.

question, if i were to claim a very secluded place. somewhere in S.E.A where there's little record of history before the 4th century. could i just use whatever's relevant to other places and used any existing records to cross reference the discoveries in that time?

If you mean SE Asia ...
question, if i were to claim a very secluded place. somewhere in S.E.A where there's little record of history before the 4th century. could i just use whatever's relevant to other places and used any existing records to cross reference the discoveries in that time?
where did you have in mind?

indonesia I think?
Exactly where I expected. I happened to have researched the history of this area for a character I created from there. (She was a genetic throwback to the "hobbits" of that area.)

You would have the same problems I have, but far worse. I have resources. You won't. Unless your civilization is aggressive, they won't be able to progress far without being invaded. You would start with Stone Age hunter gatherers, not real agriculture unless you teach them. No villages - it least not as a village is defined. Rather small tribal units of a few families. Ever watch Clan of the Cave Bear? Imagine that, but on a tropical island.

I CAN think of some ways to influence them that might achieve a civilization. Not all of them are ethical though. Hehe.

Just curious, is anyone having trouble understanding what constitutes a Civilization? (IE, the minimums necessary to be considered one.)

Anyone know how BIG horses were in 5000 BCE? Even wild ones. I have a bad feeling they will be about like ponies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back