• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern New Civilizations 1st Edition OOC

Main
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Other
Here
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
My Interest Check
Welcome to the OOC! Just chat about anything you like here! Have fun!

But...

I also want to include the FAQ here to clear up some loose ends, so here it is!

-FAQ-

A big question which often plagues Authors is how fast technology should progress, and what kinds of technologies would be available to them. You are free to explore off in any direction you want to, technology-wise, but you should probably keep some things in mind.

1. If you personally do not know how to do this thing right now IRL, your Author won't either.

2. You are starting out from as scratch as literally possible. You are coming into a world naked, during a time were writing and numeracy are practically unknown to anyone outside of other Author civilizations. Very basic laws and concepts of science and the world have not been invented yet, and are likely unknown to the average person. Most places are still using stone tools, and others are just beginning to use copper. The people of this era may be as rational and logical as you are, but that isn't to say that they have access to any specialty tools or knowledge. You will pretty much have to reinvent all the basic concepts of science

3. You are constrained by your resources. If you wanna make bronze, but the area you live in doesn't have any tin - well then you're out of luck.

4. You can learn new knowledge and skills in the IC, it just takes time. Say you wanted to demonstrate your Author's ever growing affinity with carpentry, then you should show them, over a series of multiple posts, experimenting and figuring out the skills needed to be a carpenter. This goes with pretty much everything: blacksmithing, chemistry, tactics, medicine, sailing, etc.

5. If you aren't sure about the feasibility of something, just ask either myself or post it up in the OOC. You will get helpful feedback and advice from your fellow Authors. Don't try and just fake it - you will be found out eventually, and may be asked to retcon your actions.

History is just a record of the actions of man, and culture is just a man's history remembered. Civilization isn't some arbitrary numerical measurement of a people, it is subjective. What kind of society do you want to build? What actions will propel the people around you towards that goal? What obstacles must you overcome? There is no objective way for a civilization to form, you've just got to figure it out on your own.

A lot like regular non-civilized natives do - except a whole lot tougher. These guys aren't barbarians with clubs, these are civilized early nation's in their own right, with developed cultures, political systems, and reasonably advanced technology. Uncivilized peoples are pretty easy to conquer or convince to join your civ, by NPC civ's are a very different story. Your interactions with them will largely be left for you to write out in the IC - with occasional intervention perhaps from me.

Eh, that depends. 1. How long were you gone in relation to the IC, 2. Are you still active.

For the first, if you were only gone for say, a single timeskip, and nothing significant happened to your civilization since you've been away, you'll be free to retake command of your old civ. If you were gone for longer, or something significant has happened to your civ, you may be asked to start again somewhere else in the world.

For the second, if you are gone for way too long - your author is just presumed dead

Short Answer: Not Europe

Long Answer: Depends. If you are story centric, and don't mind being on your lonesome for a long while, you should probably pick an area far away from any other Author Civ. There, you will have time to explore your own culture, free from having to worry about others interfering with your long term plans.

If you want to interact with others though, and desire rapid technological growth, I would suggest either East Asia, the Levant, or the red sea region. Those places have other authors, and they're not typically as murderous as the Europeans are.

Last edited:
Added a link to that Interactive Map. If you create a Lore Page, you can copy them all there.

And I think I know my exact starting location if I do this as me.

Looking like there won't be any villages in my area until about 1650 BCE or so.

5000 BCE ... we either have to wait over 3000 years for civilizations to form ... or collect people into villages ourselves.

yup. i mean, if we cant starve or die of exposure... than after a few generations of us not dieing, we will be seen as gods.

yup. i mean, if we cant starve or die of exposure... than after a few generations of us not dieing, we will be seen as gods.
I think we're more likely to be seen as insane, depressed, or lonely, especially after 3000 years amid primitive humans lol

Yeah, but talk about boring. I mean ... not even a book to read. We'll have to invent Cuneiform - though personally I'd create something much better. And mathematics...

Question: since we are no longer ageing, at what age are our characters becoming immortal? Like, if our character is 60, are they stuck with a 60-year-old body for the rest of their immortal life?

well, have to invent paper. LOL, I happened to attend a seminar by GA Paper on recycling - the chemistry of how the cellulose of broken down, bleached, etc ...

Question: since we are no longer ageing, at what age are our characters becoming immortal? Like, if our character is 60, are they stuck with a 60-year-old body for the rest of their immortal life?
I asked that question in a PM ... and a couple others ... like injuries, scars, tattoos, piercings ...

.... i know how to work a loom (because i made one) but i ant make paper... perhaps we authors aught to find eachother.

I learned about looms when I was 13 - back when kids got good educations

I've been reading about NationStates and I saw nothing about this style of startup. I really need to know for my character's description before I send it to him.

Just a lot of stuff about the World in the Modern era ... nothing about starting out.

NationStates seems to be all about developing a nation during the current era, not about an immortal way back at the beginning of time. I think you will have to make your own rulings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back