Looking for New and In Need of some PEEPS

Yhmera

Lok'Tar
Hello. New to this place and trying to find a few chill people that would love to hang out.

I LOVE to Role play. It's the main reason for joining. I also greatly enjoy reading. My favorite others are Sherrilyn Kenyon, Agatha Frost, Peirce Anthony, and Terry Pratchett.
Anime is another big hit for me. Right now I'm watching Fairy Tail and The Magus Bride.

I make armor for a few renaissance faires. SO right now Covid has me out of work until the faires start back up again.

Um what else? I don't know. Just ask.

Last edited:
Im sorry, did you say you make ARMOR???. That sounds noice. Could you send a pic of some of your work , or just pm me it maybe?

You are officially the coolest person I will never get to meet. XD

how long does it take you to make a suit of armor? Is this your full-time job?

One of those shirts takes about 2 weeks to a month. Depending on the size. No it's not a full time job, just the one I like the most. I'm an RN by trade. About a year to a year and a half from becoming a nurse practitioner. ^_^

I don't know about the coolest person. LOL Anyone can make scale armor like that. It isn't hard.

Hexecutioner Hexecutioner

That is some awesome armor! But even more amazing is you being a nurse and going to be a nurse practitioner!!! That's just so totally amazing that I can't put to words how cool and wonderful that is. Best of luck finishing up that degree, I know its tough being a nurse, (even more now so) but thank you for sticking with it you are much appreciated, (even when we aren't in these crazy hectic times)!!

i agree with everyone! you are talented! if you don't mind me asking, what materials do you use to make the armour?

i'm also going into the same field of study, future med student here. also a fan of terry pratchett. i have yet to finish the discworld series though.

it's nice to you! good luck with your future practice! i'm sure you'll do well! 👍

Backpacker Backpacker

Backpacker- thank you so much

revive revive

revive - The scales are usually aluminum. about Size: 0.7'' x 1.1" The connector rings are steal snap rings. (think of a key chain ring ) the wire is 16g swg (how thick it is) and wrapped into 5/16 ID (inter diameter, How bid the hole in the wring is)

You can by a bag of 1000 scales . An average shirt takes about 800- 20,000 scales

I love Discworld. I also like his Black Unicorn series. Magic Kingdom for sale is one of my favorite books.

cool! it looked like a solid build so i was wondering about the weight of it all. like how it might compare to chainmail armour. the aluminum would make it lighter i’m sure, but the amount of scales made me think twice too.

i really like the scales though since you can create patterns and have a variety of colours.

how does one go into making armour though? i’ve seen those episodes of man at arms where they make weapons. though, i’ve yet to visit a blacksmith’s forge or just a metal shop.

oh, i haven’t heard of the black unicorn series. but it sounds like something i should look into. thank you for mentioning it! 😊

I'm sorry. Look up the Magic Kingdom of Landover Series. By Terry Brooks. book 2 is the black unicorn.

So people have the ideas of armor all wrong.
Scale was one of the early types of armor. Normally made of a type of rode iron sorta speak. Or Brass. It was really heavy back then. They didn't have Steel back then or aluminum.

IF I used all aluminum, (including the rings) then it would only be about 40-60 pounds. But with the steel rings, It's somewhere between 80- 110 pounds. It's It's not battle ready but would take a few really solid hits to break.

Got ditched at faire and found myself lost and at the chain mail both. I said it looked cool. They gave me a set of players and told me to pop a squat. And I got my first lesson there.

revive revive

no worries! it’s all good. it makes sense why i haven’t heard of it. but still the title itself lends an intrigue that i’d want to read about. really anything with unicorns sounds like a good time to me! lol.

ah, i see. that’s good to know! i’ve always been used to seeing chainmail and plate armour as the “armour” knights would go into battle in. the scales make sense for a fairy though because they’d probably need to be more agile.

80 pounds sounds heavy to carry around to me. durability wise, your work is still more than what i could make if i tried. my hat’s off to you! 😁

oh, i’ve never been to a faire! it sounds so exciting! our city is incredibly urban so i don’t think it’s ever hosted one before. i’m not handy with tools, but if it’s as easy to make with pliers, i think i’d be confident to give it a shot too. though, i totally understand that it takes patience and is time consuming.

wow this is impressive and even more amazing since it's your hobby while being a nurse!

I'm a huge fan of Pratchett. His writing influenced me a lot and the fact that I met one of my best friends in a queue to sign his books says something lol
What is your favorite series in Discworld? I love all of them but probably my favorite would be the books about Witches.

Ah thank you.
Wish I could've have met him. Hear he didn't get out often. His books a huge inspiration growing up.
Discworld is fabulous and massive!! My favorite book my be soul man. Or Rapper man. Color of Magic is good and Thud is funny.
Onmyoji Onmyoji

If your in the US I can tell you every Renaissance Fair in your state.

Unicorns are awesome. And the book series is hilarious or at least the first one is. No there is humor in all of them.

Scale was mostly used to help with weak points of armor untill chainmail was invented.

revive revive

Yhmera Yhmera unfortunately, i don’t live in the us. i’d like to visit someday. perhaps, once the pandemic has reached the end of its days.

i completely agree! i think i loved all things magical - creatures, myths, and lore - since i was a kid. my dad fuelled that imagination early when he’d tell us folklore as bedtime stories. and humour is something that’s always welcome when i’m reading. i actually haven’t read anything that’s made me laugh in a long time, if you don’t count memes. lol.

oh, nice! i think i’d have to dig in a little more to the history of armour, but it’s great fact to know. i can appreciate now if i ever see it in other media like books or film or even games! yay! 👍

There are websites you can visit with info on armors and knights, and such.

Ah ok. I don't know about the fairs over seas or in other places. If the faires aren't closed for 2021 then I'll post it digitally LOL Have fun watching from afar. ^_^ My favorite part is watching those who show up on their own in beautiful extravagant costumes!

So what other books or authors that you like? I could use some good suggestions. ^_^

i’ll definitely look more into it. it sounds pretty interesting. i’m especially curious about any specialized armour. is there one in particular that you like the most, outside of scale armour? any other you’d like to try to create if you could?

that’s fantastic! i’ve seen a bit in youtube and it looks like an experience. i think some places that have even got dedicated medieval places just for tourist attractions, which, is quite neat! i’d appreciate a virtual tour, if you can. that’s so kind! thank you for sharing that experience! ❤️

i agree. the fashion/costumes are so intricately made. any beads or trims are elegant looking against rich, plush, velvetine fabric. it is a treat to watch.

if you’re looking for a humorous fantasy series, i’d recommend the gentleman bastard series/lies of locke lamora by scott lynch. it’s not very pg in humour, kind of vulgar at times, but i enjoyed it nonetheless.

if i may quote a line, this is the one you’ll probably see most often.

“Some day, Locke Lamora,” he said, “some day, you’re going to fuck up so magnificently, so ambitiously, so overwhelmingly that the sky will light up and the moons will spin and the gods themselves will shit comets with glee. And I just hope that I’m still around to see it.”

another popular author i enjoy reading is neil gaiman. most of his works have been adapted to mainstream media, but I’d recommend sandman, if you’re into graphic novels/comics. it’s a great read!

i’m also trying to dabble into sci-fi more so currently trying to finish i, robot by issac asimov.

i hope those helped! 😊

HAHHA I love that. I'm going to check out gentleman bastard serie ^_^ Oh, I LOVE sandman comics!! Did you know sandman is a spin off of Lucifer comics? And the sandman slim books by Richard Kadrey . Those are good too with a bit of humor. And yeah, not PG 13 but a good read. ^^;;

I would love to have a full breast plate. But I'm not a blacksmith so I'll have to buy one at some point. I've made lamaulr armor and chain shirts but they aren't as fun make. I think my favorite is the scale shirts LOL I make bracers too and head dresses.

There are some cities that turn into a full medieval village. And the faire lasts for a good 2 1/2 months. ^^ I love those faires.

revive revive

Last edited:

art by
arithm

Wᴀʀʀᴇɴ Bᴜʀɴs

(he/him)

ʙᴜɢʙᴇᴀʀ ʙᴀʀᴅs ᴡɪᴛʜ
ʙᴀɴᴊᴏs ʏ'ᴀʟʟ

Nice to meet you! I'm Warren c:

♡design by rabbitswarren, coded by uxie♡

Hey, Yhmera! First, don't ever trust RabbitsWarren RabbitsWarren , he worked in food and beverage and we're all crazy. Plus, I mean... Oklahoma. <3 :)

Second, *Piers Anthony.

Third, that armor needs to be picked up, because it is off the chain. You must make a pretty penny doing that stuff. I know folks who drop paychecks on stuff for RennFaires and SCA events. One of my buddies on Okinawa was super into his SCA events. Do you have a site where you sell? I'll link him to it. May generate a little business for you.

Last edited:

art by
arithm

Wᴀʀʀᴇɴ Bᴜʀɴs

(he/him)

ʙᴜɢʙᴇᴀʀ ʙᴀʀᴅs ᴡɪᴛʜ
ʙᴀɴᴊᴏs ʏ'ᴀʟʟ

It's true! Restaurant business can take the humanity out of you and the cows here brainwash you c';

Also, yes, agreed!!! Your armor is really amazing! I cosplay, but never made an entire set in armor. That's so awesome.

♡design by rabbitswarren, coded by uxie♡

Besides covid has gotten stupid crazy and I'm working non stop at the hospital right now.

See, this is why I'm glad I'm a chef now. I did medical from 19-24, and I liked it plenty, but I talk to my old nurse buddies and they are telling me horror stories about their shifts. Even the EMTs are starting to feel the pinch, and those guys have a high volume as is.

Well, keep fighting the good fight. I'm sure COVID-19 will fade out eventually, only to be replaced by the next scare - Ultra Super Face Melt Nuclear Virus or something.

I hope Covid really does fade out soon.

THANK GOD!! The Renaissance Faires WILL be open this year so far!!!

Who's been watching WandaVision?

Hey, Yhmera! First, don't ever trust RabbitsWarren RabbitsWarren , he worked in food and beverage and we're all crazy. Plus, I mean... Oklahoma. <3 :)

Second, *Piers Anthony.

Third, that armor needs to be picked up, because it is off the chain. You must make a pretty penny doing that stuff. I know folks who drop paychecks on stuff for RennFaires and SCA events. One of my buddies on Okinawa was super into his SCA events. Do you have a site where you sell? I'll link him to it. May generate a little business for you.
Oklahoma wasn't as flat as I thought it would be. I was surprised by all the hills.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back