• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Futuristic Neo Metro: a Cyber Noir

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here

MercuryAngel

Neo Metro, over ten thousand miles of sprawling concrete and brick. Chainlink fences, kids on every corner trying to hustle up credits, stray dogs fighting for fish heads behind a noodle bar with no windows and one door. Last week a neon sign started an electrical fire that burnt down a half block of tenement housing- children coughing up black smoke in their beds, waking up from one nightmare into another.
On the east side of the city, the ocean was walled off, as a last ditch effort to keep the radiated tide from washing new horrors onto the shoreline. Out west was The Wall, another last ditch effort, maybe too late, to cut off the radiated midwest. That was ancient history now. It had been over a century since the bombs. There were no more foreign monsters to fear; now the enemy was on every corner. A boy on a stoop with a rusted blade and hungry eyes- that was the new monster.
Above it all, nearly 400 stories in the sky was a man nearly as big as god himself: William Zeign, looking over the balcony, all the way down. The constellations used to be in the sky. Now all the lights were beneath him. He stood straight, with his hands folded behind his back. This city was all he ever knew, and he hated it. William’s father had been a hard scrabble man. His hands were callous and his shoulders broad. He was a slum lord down in Middle Crutch, and that was what he called himself. He wasn’t a landlord, or a property manager, he was a true slum lord. Most of the “property management” types in Middle Crutch used enforcers to collect rent. Alfred Zeign once took a crowbar to a man for being three weeks late. William watched his father work.Then he helped carry the man’s meager possessions down the hall to a trash compactor. He looked down. His pants were flaked with the man’s blood.
That was nearly forty years ago, now. Alfred died kicking down a junky’s door. Blasted in the belly with a shotgun, William still remembered identifying the body. That cold slab. Those frosted, pale eyes. After a few weeks he sold his father’s properties and began construction on his greatest achievement: Victor Gardens- 375 stories, each with nearly a hundred rooms. There were supermarkets, restaurants, theaters, and a private security force of over five thousand... Zeign’s little army. It was what Zeign considersd a good start, but nothing came for free in this city. To build his tower, William had gone to the The Phantoms.
The Phantoms may have started as a street gang like any other. No one knows exactly how they exploded into one of the largest, most dangerous criminal enterprises in Neo Metro, but one thing was for sure: it was a story written in blood.
Now William was planning something so bold, it would either bring the entire city into his pocket, or crush him in its wake. He held out his hand: between his thumb and index finger was a microchip- within that, the power of a god. An explosion rang out in the distance. He squinted at it. “This city is afraid of me...”

Last edited:
Pyotr sat next to Bash, both slurping up cold udon noodles at a run down food trolley. It was dark as it usually was on the street-level and drizzling (non-acid rain, which was a nice change from the stinging weather they usually had.)

"We need to find a new job...they won't wait for our payment forever" Bash was saying.

Pyotr kept his focus on the noodles. Stop talking he thought. Bash had always been the brain of their little operation but lately he was just annoying.

They were thousands of credits deep owed to a number of low-level gangs, and work had dried up. Usually they could find someone paying for some poor soul to be knocked around or shot up. Or some corporation to be hacked into.

"I know. I'll talk to a few contacts. A job will come." Pyotr finally replied.

"I won't even tell you how much we owe" Bash said, putting down his bowl "and if we don't pay soo -"

Everything got very bright and very hot. A shockwave pushed Pyotr's body into the stool flattening him. A massive explosion rocked the street, but came from a tower high above them.

Blood, screams, sirens in the distance. Pyotr looked around, he couldn't see much. His right eye was resetting. Dang implant. Bash lay a few feet away, and Pyotr could smell his charred skin.

Pyotr was confused what had just happened. Bash needed a med-center quick.

The smell was what Azure hated the most about Middle Crutch. Chemicals mixed with the odor of too many people tightly packed together. Even when inside her closet of an apartment, the smell seeped in through the microscopic pores in the concrete and metal that constructed her home.

Sitting atop her bed, Azure turned on her computer and waited for the machine to fully boot up. Although slow and clunky compared to newer models, it was the most expensive and luxurious thing Azure owned. Years of saving up credits, scavenging through scrap for items to pawn, and working a slew of odd jobs had led up to her buying this subpar machine.

The computer finally finished booting up and Azure quickly navigated to the web to access her blog. Pulling up the statistic's she could see she had 5% more views than yesterday. Azure scrunched up her face in frustration. Sure 5% was good, but she knew she could do so much better. In fact, she had to do better. Looking away from the screen and out the dirt-glazed window Azure focused on the looming structure of Victor Gardens. It's bright lights taunted Azure with their welcoming glow. She could imagine the people inside living out their cushy lives full of ventilated air and edible delicacies.

No, 5% wouldn't cut it if she was aiming for her spot on the the top floors of Victor Gardens. As far as Azure knew, the web was the only place a street rat like her could gain the popularity and possible small fortune it would take to gain access into the luxurious structure. If she was going to succeed, she needed to step up her game.

Just as Azure went to reach for the small mirror she kept on her nightstand (she couldn't film a blog without making sure she looked immaculate) her apartment shook violently. Any glass materials not secured to the walls fell to the ground and shattered. Just as quickly as the shaking had started, it stopped.

"What now?" Azure said aloud. Hopping off her bed she opened the door to her apartment to look out and see if she could discern what had happened without leaving the comfort of her home.

Regaining his surroundings, Pyotr crawled over to Bash. Bash was not in a good way, most of his body was burnt. The scene around them was chaotic, street vendor stands knocked over, people bleeding, debris everywhere. Those sirens weren't coming to help them though, they were going to the towers high above. No one really cared about street-level. That's how it had always been.

Pyotr hoisted Bash over his shoulder. Bash whimpered softly "Don't take me to a med-center...we can't afford that...find...a chop shop..." Pyotr just started walking. He knew there was a good med-center inside one of the buildings, on the 73rd floor. A chop shop would be a lot cheaper although you were never sure what materials they used. Bash would come out with a patchwork of skin, wires, and implants.

Pyotr decided on the med-center and headed headed into the nearby building and the lift, with Bash still over his shoulder. They ascended up, up, up. Luckily, it looked like they were the first ones to get out of that blast (or whatever it was). Nice to be at the front of the line in the emergency room for once.

They arrived on the 73rd floor. Sterile white walls. A cyborg greeted them.

"Welcome to Galu-Tech Med-Center 34! How will you pay today?"

"Credits...here" Pyotr handed the cyborg his card.

"Thank you sir" a self-guided gurney rolled in like a conveyor belt "place the patient on the gurney and follow it to the room. A surgeon will be in with you. Your care is important to us. Please be patient as we..."

Pyotr tuned the cyborg out.

The gurney wheeled into the cramped room and rolled Bash onto the bed. Pyotr sat in a metallic chair next to him. A cyborg attendant began cleaning them up.

Exhausted, and finally thinking, Pyotr spotted a net port. Perfect. He plugged in and closed his eyes. Maybe he could make a few bucks on the net.

A soft piano melody wafted from the front living room of Zeign’s penthouse suite. The pianist eyed the horn player, and then the drummer a bit nervously; this was the third hour of their set. Zeign usually asked them to pack it in after two.
The horn coughed out a wailing, morose riff, sad and sweet. Behind the bar, Morrison was muddling fresh mint leaves. As Zeign stepped in from the balcony, the phone began to ring. William looked to the receiver with an angry curiosity.
“What could possibly justify calling me at this hour? ...Frankly I don’t care what exploded or where. Victor Gardens pays for a private water reserve. If the city wants to access it, they’re paying the retail price, thirty percent markup... yes... well I don’t give a damn about emergency allocation, if he expects a cent toward his reelection in this lifetime, he’ll learn to play ball, and you can tell him I said that. One more thing. if you ever call me this late, especially for something happening outside the tower, the only explosion you’re going to have to worry about is the gun behind your head. That’s no joke. I’ll kill you. Goodnight.”
Zeign sat at the bar. Morrison brought him his drink.
“Late night for you, sir.”
“These people... Morrison, I swear, most people you meet these days aren’t even adults anymore. They sit there, thumbing their ass, waiting for someone to tell them what to do, where to go, when to stop. And they let anyone with any sense walk all over them without a second thought. A bunch of children, waiting for the adults to come home and take care of them... my father, there was a man. Used to beat me. One night, he came home, saw me smoking one of his cigars... took an extension cord to my back for nearly a half hour. That was a man. Real bastard, he was... I’m glad he’s dead. Should have killed him myself. I miss him, though. Nights like these.”
Zeign stared into his drink. He thought of the microchip in his pocket. He thought of the portrait over the fireplace. Alice. The only woman he had ever loved. The portrait was all wrong. Her eyes... they couldn’t paint eyes like those.
“Tell me about your father, Morrison.”
“I’m afraid I never met him, sir”
“Well, all for the best. Man is always in his father’s shadow, Morrison. Always.”
He finished his drink.

Character: Pyotr

Logging in to the Net was always a little jarring. One moment you were laying in a med-center and the next you were surfing electrons connected into a wide web. Pyotr navigated his virtual body to the seedier side of the Net, much more familiar than the corporate advertisements. He found his usual chat room, SNAKE LOUNGE and virtually keyed in his credentials. He was in.

"Hey Pyotr, welcome back" Mariam-27 said (she was an old android bounty hunter friend)

"Hey Mariam, what's processing?"

"Pyotr, I am hacking into sites, my usual line of work. Pyotr, what about you?"

"Not too good actually. Bash is pretty beat up..."

"Pyotr, how is he beat up?"

"We got caught in some blast around Victor Gardens, anyone talking about it?"

"Pytor, standby........Some chatter. It was not an accident. But no one has claimed the attack yet."

"Well, let me know when someone does. Say Mariam, I need a job...a big job. Bash and I are running pretty low on credits."

"Pyotr, you are not running low. You are running out. But I do have a job for you Pyotr."

Mariam-27 sent Pyotr an encrypted file. He accessed it.

His virtual eyes widened when he saw who they were going to kidnap. But he needed an in...maybe as a low-level staff member....

Cheap whiskey sting, like rubbing alcohol, bottom cabinet, the one with the lock, and the phone starts to ring again, but this time nobody is gonna answer it. McGregor knew how to shoot a gun before he got to the academy. He knew how to kick down a door, and you’re god damn right he knew when to mind his business, but it wasn’t like it was now. Not back then. Used to be a big deal if you looked the other way when a gun left the evidence room. Maybe a couple cops were connected here and there. Maybe a couple Phantoms, maybe a Cayman. There were investigations, sure, vice and internal affairs were always butting heads.
Then the head of internal affairs showed up in the mail room one morning... in three separate boxes. And just like that, it was a different kind of job.
“McGregor. Still got that haircut, eh?”
Ryan Cloud. He walked in like it was his office. Had he stayed on the force, it might have been, one day. Ryan was the kind of guy who could clean up a double homicide in Middle Crutch at five in the morning and be eating breakfast at six. Only problem was he didn’t know how to mind his business.
“So what, you think you can just pull me back in here and I’m gonna be a cop again? This place is a circus, McGregor, and I’m not getting back in the clown car.”
McGregor brought his fist down hard on the desk. Poor old bastard. The force still meant something to him.
“You think you just get to walk away, Ryan? You got nothin out there. I know your little muscle racket got boarded up. You’re a god damn cop. Like it or not. You walk out that door, I don’t need a reason to bury you.”
Ryan smiled.
“You’re a real son of a bitch, McGregor. Let’s not bullshit. You need me, you’re gonna pay for me. And I’m not coming in here working with these goons every day. I work alone. You know damn well I can’t trust your guys.”
Ryan sat down.
“So why don’t you tell me what’s so important you gotta unbury an excop?”
McGregor opened a file. He slid an evidence bag across the table. Ryan held it to the light.
“Is this what I think it is?”

Before Pyotr unplugged from the Net, Mariam-27 gave him instructions.

"Pyotr, in 1 hour be at the Sakai-zero station. You will meet a man, Guillon, who will give you further instructions. Don't be late." She disappeared, probably logged off.

Pyotr navigated out of the SNAKE LOUNGE. He then thought the command to disconnect from the Net. Pyotr was back in the Med-Center. Looking around, Bash was still on the bed unconcious.

"Oh, you're back" a human-looking nurse replied "he's not good. We've put him in a coma. The burns are too severe. Are you sure you have enough to pay for this?"

Pytor grimaced and nodded at the nurse. He unplugged his arm from the net port and got up from the chair beside Bash's bed. "Get well buddy" he said softly.

Pyotr made his way out of the Med-Center, down the elevator tube, and back at street-level. It was raining hard now, and dark as usual. Pyotr knew he had to hurry if he was to make ti to Sakai-zero station on time.

Pytor mulled around Sakai-zero station. He was actually a few minutes early, the shuttles were running ahead for once. He had no idea who Guillon was, but Mariam-27 always had high paying jobs. Lost in thought, a man gripped Pyotr's arm from behind.

"If you scream, I will kill you. Walk towards the back of the station." A man's voice said, with a hint of French accent. They proceeded the end of the station which was quite dark, and smelled terrible. There, the man (presumably Guillon) opened an access hatch. They both made their way down a corridor, deep into an abandoned part of the station long forgotten.

Guillon turned to Pyotr "So, Mariam-27 recommended you. I'm only going to tell you what you need to know about this job. There's a man and a very expensive chip. I want both of them, intact...we're going to get you into his penthouse as a low-level guard...."

The streets were a smoking and filled with people running to and fro in various states of panic. From where Azure's apartment stood, she couldn't see what had caused the explosion, or the exact direction it came from. Where ever it was, it was close enough to have given her belongings a good shaking. Azure gave the street another once over, to ensure there wasn't something important she was missing, and went back inside. So long as the structural integrity of her building was secure, she didn't care what happened. People died, that was a fact of life. Life was just a game to see who could put off death the longest.

Azure picked up any sharp debris littering her floor before sitting back down on her bed. Looks like now wasnt the best time to film a blog. Her followers believed she already lived in a wealthier district of Neo Metro, filming now with all the chaos that ensued might shatter the smoke and mirrors she had so carefully laid out. In Azures mind the best way to get rich and famous was to pretend like you already were. Most of her earnings went towards a nice wardrobe, expensive make-up, and eye-catching decoration that would give her follows the illusion that she was already living comfortably. One day, she swore to herself, she would.

Azure opened her inbox and scrolled through her mail. Most of it was spam. Mixed in were some messages sent by followers that varied in tone. Most of them were nice enough, messages telling her how fun and easy going her blog was. Other messages were riddled with hate and lust filled words sent by people who had nothing better to do than annoy others on the Net. Azure read through the ones awaiting her today, making sure not to reply to any of them. She was about to close out of her mail, and see if any news sites had picked up what caused the explosion earlier when one unread message caught her eye.

"Looking for a sponsor? Tech Neck is interested in YOU."

Interested, Azure opened up the message and read through it carefully. It seemed a startup jewelry company that specialized in accessories with high grade technology built in was looking to sponsor a few lucky individuals. All that was required on her end was to wear the merchandise sent to her in at least three videos and then collect the payment. Azure smiled to herself and pressed on the ACCEPT button.

Ryan knocked gently on the tin door. A lot of these improvised houses were little more than plastic sheeting and weatherproof blankets. You had to be careful or the god damned things just collapsed. The door squeaked open a few inches.
“Is that? It is you! Cloud! My god, how long has it been?”
Akren wedged the door open as far as it would go, inviting Ryan inside. The place was a mess. Akren was too. He looked dirty. His fingernails had grown out. There were sketches and notes all over the place, and bundles of dirty clothes. Akren was brilliant, sure, but his mental health had always been a problem.
“So how about it, Akky... You all right? Have you been eating?”
“Sure, sure, hey you don’t afta worry bout me, you know, I’m fine, I’m fine. I’d offer you some tea, the damn kettle broke, you know. Please, sit down, sit down!”
Ryan didn’t really want to sit here, in this place. It made him sad to see Akren living this way. He didn’t want to let on to it, though. Akren wouldn’t want his pity.
“I don’t want to waste your time, Akky, I’ve got some evidence I need you to look at.”
“Wait, wait, evidence? ... Are you, you’re a cop again?”
“I’m not a cop, Akky”
“I knew it! I knew you’d go back! This is good, Ryan! This is good news!”
“Please, Akky, it’s no big deal. All it is, I’m doing a favor, okay? Trying to keep some people off my back.”
“Where is it? Here! Here we go.”
Akren scavenged a flask from the pocket of a dirty pair of pants lying in a heap on the floor. He handed it to Ryan.
“Bottoms up. go on now.”
“Ah what the hell.... Not bad, Akky.”
“A boy down on the corner used to make it, till his cooker blew up. Not sure about the boy. Haven’t seen him. Do you remember the old neighborhood?
“I remember, Akky, I remember. I don’t have too much time though. You still have that chip set scanner?”
“Yeah, sure, sure I do. This is good, Ryan! I’m happy for you. Really.
“I know you are, Akky.” Ryan looked around the filthy room as Akren looked for the scanner. “I know...”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back