• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Quest Nemesis: A Choose Your Own Survival Story

GinkyGotBack

A Very Good Boy
bb62287591a352a547bebf6bade44a898651a316_792x.jpg

Greetings, I am ALDIN, an Artificial Logic Database, and Intelligence Network. In other words, I am an Artificial Intelligence, also known as an AI. You are an employee aboard the much-renowned starship Nemesis on your way back to Earth from an expedition to an unexplored, uninhabited planet. Very soon, I will be forced to wake you from your cryostasis as it would appear our ship has been infested with a large number of alien lifeforms, and I am quickly running out of ideas short of blowing up the ship with you and the aliens along with it. But, before we begin, I'm going to quickly refresh myself on just who it is I'll be giving orders to once I've roused you. Let's see, it says here in your files that you are a certified...​

1. Captain
  2. Pilot
  3. Scientist
  4. Scout
  5. Soldier
  6. Mechanic
  7. CEO
  8. Android
  9. Psychologist
  10. Bounty Hunter
  11. Convict
  12. Medic

• Ah, so there is a doctor on the ship. I hope your skills aren’t as rusty as your tools doctor, as I’m sure you’ll be needing them. Now before I wake you, allow me to briefly explain your talents and equipment.

The first item to address is your all-important Needle Gun, though calling it a ‘gun’ is a bit generous as it is mostly used for performing injections quickly and cleanly.
    (Rather than deal Injuries to the Intruders, unlike most weapons your Needle Gun will instead force them to retreat. Can only be reloaded with Chemicals. Holds 2 Ammo.

Next, I will explain two situational pieces of equipment that are available to you as a Medic. One will require that you retrieve it from the room in which you keep it and the other you carry with you but will require the use of a more common item you that you may find on the ship to activate.

Quest Item: Surgery Kit (Discard a Med Kit to activate this Item; ONE USE ONLY)
    Scan all Contamination cards in your deck, Discard pile, and hand. Remove all INFECTED cards (and the larva, if there is one). Then, you shuffle your deck, Discard and hand and suffer 1 Light Wound.

Quest Item: Combat Drugs (Activate this Item in the Emergency Room; ONE USE ONLY)
    Draw until you have 5 cards.

You are also capable of crafting the following Items using other Items you may find on the ship. I will provide the following list of craftable Items to you below:

Chemicals + Med Kit = Antidote
    Scan all cards in your Action Deck. Remove all INFECTED cards (and larva if you had one). Then, take 1 Contamination card and shuffle your Action cards. After that, you must pass; ONE USE ONLY.

Chemicals + Tools = Flamethrower
    You always deal at least 1 Injury to a target, except on a Complete Failure. If the Combat Roll result is a Critical Success, place a Fire Marker in the Room you are in. (Ammo: 4)

Chemicals + Clothes = Molotov Cocktail
    Choose 1 Room with an Intruder (the one you are in or neighboring). Place a Fire Marker in this room. All beings in this Room suffer 1 Injury/Serious Wound; ONE USE ONLY.

Energy Cell + Tools = Taser
    Choose 1 Intruder in your Room. It suffers 1 Injury and Retreats.

Also, I will explain how to move and act around the ship. Most, if not all, Actions require that you discard Action Cards. At the start of every Round, you will draw a hand of 5 Action Cards which you will hold onto until you use them or lose them. When the Player Phase ends you will hold on to whatever Action Cards you are holding. When the next Player Phase begins, you will draw Action Cards from your Action Deck until you have 5 cards.

Below are all of the potential Actions available to you. All of them cost 1 Action Card to perform with the exception of Careful Movement which requires 2 Action Cards to do.

Move - Move to the neighboring Room. If you enter an empty room (explored or unexplored), you will have to make a Noise roll. After the Noise roll is made, a Noise Marker is placed in the corresponding Corridor connected to the Room you have entered. Any given Corridor may never hold more than 1 Noise Marker. If a Noise Marker would be placed in a Corridor that already contains one, an Encounter will be resolved instead.
    Careful Movement - Works exactly like Move, but instead of performing a Noise roll after moving, place a Noise marker in a chosen Corridor connected to the Room you are entering. If there is a Noise marker in all Corridors connected to the Room you want to move to, you cannot perform a Careful Movement.
    You cannot perform Careful Movement if you are in Combat.
    Shoot - Attack an Intruder with a weapon you are carrying, discarding an Ammo Marker from that Weapon. You can only shoot Intruders in the same Room as you. Bigger, stronger Intruders will be much more difficult to damage and so you will have a less likely chance of hurting them.
    Melee Attack - Attack an Intruder with your bare hands (or anything you can improvise). You can only attack Intruders in the same Room as your Character. Puts yourself at risk of getting Seriously Wounded.
    Pick Up Heavy Object - Pick up 1 Heavy Object in the Room you are in. It can be a Corpse, an Intruder Carcass, or an Intruder Egg.
    Craft Item - Discard 2 appropriate Item cards to gain a Crafted Item using the discarded Items as ingredients.

2. No

Corridor 1. Towards the stern and Engine rooms #1 and #2.

2. Move Carefully for 2 Action Cards

• You move out of the Hibernatorium and into one of the connecting corridors. As you're walking you swear you hear something, but after waiting a while nothing seems to happen. You enter what appears to be the Airlock Control room. From here, you could open up any of the airlocks on the ship. If you were to do that in a room full of alien Intruders... However, you'll have to put that thought on hold for now, however, as the sparks flying from the control panels don't seem to be a sign that they're working.

"Doctor, it would appear that Airlock Control is Malfunctioning. While in this state, I'm afraid you will find it to be completely inoperable. If you were to somehow fix it, however, that would be another story."

(3 Action Cards remaining)
    1. Search the Room for the cost of 1 Action Card.
    2. Move back into the Hibernatorium.
    3. Move into the Northeast Corridor towards Engine Room #1.
    4. Move into the Southeast Corridor towards Engine Rooms #1 and #2.
    5. Pass and end the Player Phase.

If you move:
    1. Move normally for 1 Action Card

1603434234173.png

3. Move into the Northeast Corridor towards Engine Room #1.

• You take extra care moving through the Corridor into the next room, but you feel that your effort was wasted as you can no longer hear that distinct noise you'd heard earlier in the Airlock Control. Regardless, it seems that you are safe in what you quickly identify as the Armory. If you had an Energy-based Weapon you could bring it here for a recharge, but sadly your Needle Gun only takes syringes, not small canisters of pure energy. Though you could probably find a Weapon here if you looked hard enough, it is an Armory after all.

(1 Action Card remaining)
    1. Search and Pass, ending the Player Phase.
    2. Move east to Engine #1 and Pass.
    3. Move west toward the cockpit into an unexplored room and Pass.
    4. Pass, keeping your one remaining Action Card (Search).

1603464107199.png

Searching the Armory you have no luck finding any weapons, but you do find two interesting Items, a Decoy beacon and a Recon Drone. A Decoy would be good for attracting the aliens to a different Room, or distracting them if they were to attack you. A Recon Drone could prove useful in finding the Lab or the Surgery Room, or at least narrowing their location down.

Choose one:
1. Decoy
ONE USE ONLY; Choose 1 neighboring Room: take all Intruders from neighboring Rooms (even in Combat) and move to this Room. Each Intruder in Combat performs 1 attack before leaving its Room. (Costs 1 Action Card to use)
2. Recon Drone
ONE USE ONLY; Check 1 Unexplored Room tile and look at its Exploration token. (Costs 1 Action Card to use)

Last edited:

• You pick up the Decoy beacon, leaving the Recon Drone to continue gathering dust in the Armory. As you attach the Decoy's clamps to your right arm, allowing you to move freely without having to carry the beacon in your hand, the monitors light up with ALDIN's wireframe face.

"Doctor, I thought I should let you know you have 14 Cycle before the Nemesis will automatically make the jump into hyperspace. Also, to prevent the Intruders from escaping, I have locked all the Escape Pods as well as the Cryopods in the Hibernatorium. The Escape Pods shall remain locked unless the ship's self-destruct were to occur, however for your sake, I will unlock the Hibernatorium's Cryopods 6 Cycles from now. Other than that, I have nothing to report. I will continue to keep you updated on the current happenings of the ship."

Well, it seems you'll be stuck with the Intruders regardless of whether or not the ship is ready to go until ALDIN decides to unlock the pods. Groovy. Before you prepare to move on to the next Room it occurs to you that now might be a good time to test the experimental drug you've been working on. The drug that you keep in the syringes loaded in your Needle Gun. If you were to use it on yourself, you would most likely get a boost of energy from it, though it might come with some side effects of course.

Choose One/Two in Order (You cannot pick more than one Move option):
    (5 Action Cards Drawn; 5 Action Cards Remaining)

1. Move through the east Corridor into Engine Room #1.
    2. Move through the west Corridor into an Unexplored Room.
    3. Move through the south Corridor back into Airlock Control.
    4. ER; Spend 1 Ammo from the Needle Gun: You get 1 Contamination card in your Discard pile and discard 1 Action card. You draw 3 Action cards to your hand. (Costs 1 Action Card)
    5. Computer Skills; Open or Close 1 Door in a Corridor connected to the Room you are in. (Costs 1 Action Card)

If you move:
    1. Move normally (Costs 1 Action Card)
    2. Move Carefully (Costs 2 Action cards)

If you use Computer Skills:
    1. Close east Door. (Armory --> Engine #1)
    2. Close the west Door (Armory --> Unexplored Room)
    3. Close the south Door (Armory --> Airlock Control)

1. Move through the east Corridor into Engine Room #1.
2. Move Carefully (Costs 2 Action cards)​
5. Computer Skills; Open or Close 1 Door in a Corridor connected to the Room you are in. (Costs 1 Action Card)
1. Close east Door. (Armory --> Engine #1)​

• You finally enter the Engine room, where Engine #1 is on full display. The room is filled with the sound of spinning gears, moving pistons, and humming machinery, but you can still hear the sound of something drawing nearer from the Armory. Acting quickly, you input your access code into the door's panel, closing off the corridor from the Armory to the Engine room. That door should be able to keep these 'Intruders' out. Right? Anyway, now that you're here, you can take a look to see if the Engine is functioning properly.

Choose one:
    (2 Action Cards remaining)
    1. Move south to Unexplored room, towards Engine Room #2.
    2. Repair the Engine (Costs 2 Action Cards)
    3. Pass and keep remaining Action Cards.

If you Move, choose:
    1. Move normally
    2. Move Carefully (Costs 2 Action Cards)

1603560016557.png

Last edited:

• It takes some time running the diagnostic checks and replacing some of the Engine's older parts, but you eventually finish with the repairs. Some of the tubes cycling energy into the Engine had been disconnected, but you had them reattached in no time. What once was broken is now functioning as the Engine begins to hum even louder than before. As you wipe the sweat off your brow, ALDIN appears on the single monitor in the room.

"Excellent work, Doctor. Perhaps you should have considered a career in engineering. Ha. Ha. Just a little joke. In any case, the ship seems to be running smoothly, though you should still check on the other Engines. So long as at least one of the remaining two engines is operational, the Nemesis will not explode and kill everything on the ship. You still have 13 Cycles until we make the jump to Hyperspace. Be safe, Doctor, but act quickly."

After taking a quick breather, you prepare yourself to continue your mission through the Nemesis. You remind yourself of your Needle Gun's special concoction, and that it may come with the boost you need to get to the next Engine room with probably little to no risk of side effects.

Choose One:

1. Move south to the Unexplored Room, towards Engine #2.
    2. ER; Spend 1 Ammo from the Needle Gun: You get 1 Contamination card in your Discard pile and discard 1 Action card. You draw 3 Action cards to your hand. (Costs 1 Action Card)

If you Move, Choose One:
    1. Move normally

Last edited:
1. Move south into the new, unexplored room
and also 1. Move normally

• As you ready yourself to leave the Engine room, the Corridors all around you seem to come alive with a mad cacophony of sounds. The clanging and scraping of metal, the hissing of steam from the Engine, your own pounding chest. You move as quickly as you can into the next room, fearing for what may be coming.

The next room contains four different control panels, each with its own holographic monitor. As you step down the stairs towards them, you realize that this is the Fire Control System. In the event of a fire, the crew could manually activate the fire suppression systems anywhere on the ship. It doesn't seem to be functioning at the moment as the monitors flicker and glitch out at the slightest touch. If you were to fix it, however, it could be a great help in putting out fires around the ship without needing a Fire Extinguisher. You guess that these Intruders wouldn't care much for an ice-cold shower.

Suddenly, the noises from before start up again. Staying in this room for too long would be dangerous, but you figure, or at least hope, that you'd still have time to look around for anything useful around here. If you could find some Tools, they'd be a big help in fixing any broken Engines or Rooms.

Choose One/Two in Order:
    (4 Action Cards Remaining)

1. ER; Spend 1 Ammo from the Needle Gun: You get 1 Contamination card in your Discard pile and discard 1 Action card. You draw 3 Action cards to your hand. (Costs 1 Action Card)
    2. Search the Fire Control System for Items
    3. Move into Airlock Control (33.33% Chance of Intruder Encounter)
    4. Move into Engine Room #2 (33.33% Chance of Intruder Encounter)
    5. Stay in Fire Control System (66.66% Chance of Intruder Encounter)
    6. Pass and End the Player Phase

If You Move:
    1. Move normally

1603600069016.png

Last edited:
2. Search the Fire Control System for Items

4. Move into Engine Room #2 (33.33% Chance of Intruder Encounter)
1. Move normally

OOC: AHHHHHHHHHHH.

Scrounging quickly through Fire Control you spot two items that could be of particular use to you: some Chemicals and a set of Tools. You could use the Chemicals to reload your Needle Gun or even use it to craft yourself some makeshift gear once you get all the right 'ingredients'. On the other hand, the Tools would be useful for fixing up a Room, or an Engine, or even just for opening or closing a Door.

Choose One:
1. Chemicals
ONE USE ONLY; Fully load AMMO in a Flamethrower OR Fully load AMMO in Needle Gun OR use as a Crafting component for an Antidote, Flamethrower, or Molotov Cocktail. (Costs 1 Action Card to use)

2. Tools
ONE USE ONLY; Discard the Malfunction marker from the Room you are in OR Repair/Break the Engine in the Engine Room you are in OR Open/Close 1 Door in any Corridor connected to the Room you are in. (Costs 1 Action Card to use)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back