Advice/Help Need some help in this situation please? (Rejecting someone after expressing interest)

Sana

Hey everyone, I'm in need of some advice! I'm in the middle of planning a rp with someone (on a different site) but I don't think we would work out too well as partners. To add some context, I tend to mostly double for fandoms but I can play up to 3 characters if preferred.

So, I had a convo that went something like this:

Person: Hey, I'm interested in [fandom] and my favorite characters are [name & name].
Me: Hi there! It would be an honor to play [name] for you, or maybe even both if we could play up to 3 characters?
Person: Playing 3 characters is fine.
Me: Oh awesome, ok then! In that case, could I ask you to play [name & name] for me please if you don't mind? And for the rest of the cast, should we split their roles between us or just have them be random NPCs that we both play whenever? :)
Also, would you like to exchange character sheets or just leave the details for once the rp begins? I'm down for either option!
Partner: My character is [lists a few details about their character, but said character seems to only work with one of the canons they want].
Me: Your OC is adorable! Will they be meeting both canons at the same time?
Person: I have another character that can work with [other character].
Me: *doesn't reply for two days and so they message again*
Person: I have pictures for one of my OC, but I'll find a picture for my other one later.

I don't know if I'm just being overly harsh or unreasonable without even giving them a chance, but they seem kinda...idk...self-absorbed? And it kinda really, REALLY irks me (probably more than it should) when people ignore my questions, and I have to ask it over again at some point.

I was planning on just sorta ghosting them, and while that would make me feel really bad, I have no idea how to let them down gently without hurting their feelings in any way, especially since we barely even got off the ground with plotting. Is there a way to reject them nicely or would ghosting be the best option? How would you go about it?

Thanks everyone! ; ~;

I think you have a few good options, here!

I know you said you didn't like to have to repeat your questions, but it may have been a genuine oversight. You could ask again: "By the way, did you see my question earlier where I asked if you could play ____ and ____?"

You can take the completely honest route, which is valid: "Hey, on second thought, I really don't think we'd be compatible RP partners. Best of luck to you in finding what you're looking for!" Be prepared for them to ask questions, though you are under no obligation to explain yourself.

And, finally, the route I'd probably take at this point, since this is a stranger and there are issues so early on: "Hey, on second thought, I don't think I have proper time to dedicate to this plot after all. It wouldn't be fair to you to expect you to work around my spotty availability."

Seems like a pretty normal conversation if you ask me. But if you're getting bad vibes from them there's nothing wrong with saying you don't think it will work out. Definitely ask them the points you want answered again.

Ooh I feel you on getting the self-absorbed vibes early. It can be hard to explain too which makes it awkward when thinking of a way to gracefully bow out. I second foxes idea of just saying "Oh sorry I recently got busy/an old partner came back/I am kinda of burnt out on playing X canon." It's always nice if you make it about you when you bow out because then they can't get offended OR (usually) ask any follow up questions.

I have been in this situation before (sometimes it was me, but I'll pretend I didn't say that)

One solution is to say "I'm sorry for ghosting, I was busy doing something and gotten caught up. Pls expect late replies"

Thanks for much everyone for all the replies! You were all such a great big help and I really appreciate everyone's answers! :")

Users who are viewing this thread

Back