Idea Need help planning (and possibly managing) an rp.

Rose-Chan

Trying to bring myself back
So, i am planning to create a colloseum style rp, likely a bit of plot involved to get a little bit of movement and interest, but my major issue is.. How could i reasonably create a fair environment within a colloseum-atyle rolepkay without being too restrictive on player actions? I plan to givw players choices between power types (or dicuss with me their own ideas). This will help me keep some semblance of balance, but what about the actual actions characters take? Is there any reasonable way, or is it something that as a gm, i need to call out when i feel something stands out of line or is being used improperly in is OP?

I would also like to ask for advice on certain specifics, to those who like to discuss powers, id like for you guys to check the spoiler tag here. To those that arent, ignore this part.
So, in the roleplay, players will create characters with certain stengths, weaknesses interests and hobbies. If they happen to share certain traits or meet certain criteria, they can chose from premade powers to fight with. I would like to discuss with someone, anyone, about ideas. I would privide examples but this isnt much the place for that. If you are interested in discussing this, i coukd either pm or.. If its allowed (im not sure?) i can create a thread dedicated to discussing roleplay power ideas. Please keep in mind a major part of the powers is that they must have some associated trait with characters, at least in my rp.

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies to this with any amount of advice, and i am sorry if i have posted in the wrong forum for this!

How could I reasonably create a fair environment within a colloseum-style roleplay without being too restrictive on player actions?:
Give them a base set of ground rules to refer to, but allow them to break them should they find creative ways to. Sometimes it may seem like you're being too restrictive, but players honestly tend to flip things over on the GM. Things you think will be an issue won't and vice versa.​

..(W)hat about the actual actions characters take? Is there any reasonable way, or is it something that as a GM, I need to call out when I feel something stands out of line or is being used improperly in is OP?:
The biggest thing you may need to call out is godmodding. Tell players that instead of, "He hit her in the face," they need to do, "He threw a punch towards her face." This way the other player has the ability to choose whether their character is hit or not.​
If someone consistently breaks the rules, first give them a warning, then don't let them participate any further. Those kinds of players aren't the ones you want to encourage or give too many second chances. Your other players will be grateful for your initiative.​
I can't advise you with powers, as those aren't something I'm too familiar with those. However, I hope this helps!

How could i reasonably create a fair environment within a colloseum-atyle rolepkay without being too restrictive on player actions?
By being restrictive on player characters and trying to look ahead. For instance, a teleporter can abuse their power by becoming impossible to hit (just continually teleporting). To solve this, you can either go directly in the RP and tell them to stop OR you can right when they make the character force conditions and limits on the ability to balance it and remove the exploits (rule of thumb: if an unarmed average Joe can't beat them in a fair fight, even if it is unlikely, then the power may not yet be balanced).
Beyond that, ground rules must explicitly stated in universe to round out the balancing, this being in-universe enforceable.

I plan to givw players choices between power types (or dicuss with me their own ideas). This will help me keep some semblance of balance, but what about the actual actions characters take? Is there any reasonable way, or is it something that as a gm, i need to call out when i feel something stands out of line or is being used improperly in is OP?

The method I suggested is the one I myself use, for while I am who is quite harsh for entry, I do so in order to be able to allow my players more freedoom during the actual roleplaying in a manner I can feel confident will not break the roleplay. That said, it's arrogant to ever feel you completely solved the problem. You will definitely need to keep an eye open and call players out for their misconduct. However, you CAN adopt policies to minimize the need for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back