• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Nations From Ashes

Yeah the radiation levels would have died down to safe levels around 30-40 years after detonation, but even assuming new tech devised even more radioactive bombs I'd say 60 or 80 years would have been enough for everything to dissipate. Thing is it's not so much the lack of radiation that you need to consider, but rather the length of time that nature has to rebuild. Nature is going to be fighting back all throughout those irradiated years, and it's going to come up with mixed results. And nature takes a long time to get back to something we would recognize as natural forest. 20 years is the bare minimum for ravaged forests to grow back to something resembling their original density.

I thought so, but I tried to look it up and the estimates were like 30 or 40 years, so I bumped up to 100 but it still sounds too low :/

What type of nuclear weapons? Like, this is about fifty two years in the future before the atomic war kicks off. With Trump, Putin, and Kim working towards bigger and more modern bombs, wouldn't current atomic weaponry not really compare, especially if a long war between superpowers would've encouraged further advances?

To put this into perspective, the Russians estimate Chernobyl to be safely habitable in tens of millennia. These bombs could possibly be even worse than that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah the radiation levels would have died down to safe levels around 30-40 years after detonation, but even assuming new tech devised even more radioactive bombs I'd say 60 or 80 years would have been enough for everything to dissipate. Thing is it's not so much the lack of radiation that you need to consider, but rather the length of time that nature has to rebuild. Nature is going to be fighting back all throughout those irradiated years, and it's going to come up with mixed results. And nature takes a long time to get back to something we would recognize as natural forest. 20 years is the bare minimum for ravaged forests to grow back to something resembling their original density.

No matter what we agree upon, the scariest thing to me are the bugs. They breed really quickly and aren't really as vunerable to radiation as everything else. We could actually get flying spiders in a few short generations.

The other thing we'll have to remember is that, unless cities and buildings are lived in and maintained, they straight up die over time. Any cities that haven't been actively inhabited since the war will either be rubble or support structures for the myriad of new plant life that wound its way up the concrete and steel skeletons. And that goes for the roads too. A lot of them will have crumbled away to nothing and, very likely, became new pathways for rivers to follow.

Just a head's up, the current name for Chemult will be Central City as it forms the center and capital of my faction (it's got a population of about 3,000 give or take, with several smaller colonies of around fifty to a hundred.)

This has really blown up!

Which makes me all the more sad to say, I don't think I will be able to work on this. My schedules going to be very full soon, and since Rios was the first time I posted a roleplay, I think I've bitten off more than I can chew. If there's anyone who'd like to take over for me, they should feel free to do so, and to post the roleplay, but I will no longer be able to participate. 

Ill be up in Astoria, Oregon. Name will remain the same

My place is Lakeview, Oregon. The name of the settlement, however, is going to be Riverwatch.

My place is Lakeview, Oregon. The name of the settlement, however, is going to be Riverwatch.

Got it, I'll make the map and on it to Shireling tomorrow!

I'd like to call dibs on NE Oregon in the cities of Troy and Eden. (For reference, find Interstate 3 and go up to Paradise and Flora by the Wallowa-Whitman National Forest. Then look about 10 miles west of Flora.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back