• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy naming conventions are strange

queermoth

ask about my cat!!!
wisteria hummed in thought. the silk was definitely easy enough; his outfit, although worn and dirty, was partially made of silk and probably blue enough. "we'd just need the yellow silk and the pelt, then. do you think donkey leather might suffice? that would be much easier to come by, i bet, although i don't know how you could tell what type of leather something is unless you buy it new..." at least it was something. they still had a little bit of time before he should get going.

he let khal flip through the pages, given the fact that he was sort of useless in this endeavor. "maybe..." something like conjuring a guardian was sure to be useful, but it was bound to be a complex spell. he also wasn't entirely sure how the whole "blood" thing would work; he wasn't very confident in his own biology, considering he was sort of technically a sentient plant. do dryads have actual blood? this was a crisis he needed to address later, not now. and that was even besides skaria's point: spells involving blood were usually pretty dangerous.

"make sure to bring ink and paper next time you're able to come so khal can translate the spells? if there's time," wisteria sort of doubted that there would be time, but it was worth exploring the possibilities. "i can go through it and take note of any keywords. if khal is willing to teach me them, i mean." he was a little disappointed that there wasn't anything that was more useful but he wasn't necessarily surprised, especially given what skaria had said about treat so far.

Skaria looked up at Wisteria and shrugged. "That could work, But I feel like its dangerous messing with the ingredients of a spell. " Sure going from a donkey pelt to donkey leather might seem like a simple change. But Skaria was still nervous. Still, He could try and find something that might work. Skaria then gave the other man a nod. Ink and paper he was sure he could find. Sure his little ragtag group weren't very civilied most of the time. But they were bound to have something lying around! Somewhere... Maybe... His gaze then went to Khal who shifted under the looks from the men. The bugbear huffed before saying. "I... I'll help. " Someone had to keep a eye on Wisteria after all.

That had Skaria grinning brightly. Reaching forward as if to ruffle Khal's hair... Er, Fur. Not even bothering to stop when Khal bared sharp canines at him. Looking at Wisteria. Skaria teased. "See, He's a good kid. " Finally drawing his hand back. Though he could feel Khal still giving him death glares. The bugbear was luckily able to quickly shake such things off. Eyebrows furrowing as he asked Skaria. "I don't understand why you needed Treats spell book. You can cast spells Skaria. " Khal had seen the other do such before. Surely Skaria could show Wisteria something useful.

Skaria though simply shrugged and told the both of them. "I know a bit of healing and fire magic. I doubt either of those would be useful to him. " He wasn't even very good with such spells. Wasn't confident he knew enough to really teach. Skaria then looked at Wisteria. The healing might be useful. Skaria didn't know what kind of dangers Wisteria might come across. What if he tripped and hurt himself? He seemed rather fragile... Pausing for a moment. Skaria then murmured. "I doubt you'll be around here long enough to learn too many spells. " He'd probable only be able to learn one or two spells at the most while camped here!

wisteria sighed. he knew, logically, that magic was more complicated than he gave it credit, but it was annoying that it wasn't working in his favor, especially given his normal experience with magic. the spells he used regularly were never necessarily spells he learned so much as magic that was a part of him; any other spells he had performed in the past were generally simple, and without many components. for someone who's family was very interested in the study of magic, wisteria had never been particularly interested in it himself.

"i appreciate the help, khal," he offered the bugbear a small genuine smile, before turning to skaria with a slightly more playful one. "you say that like i doubted you," maybe he had, a little bit, but his doubt had faded a while ago, specifically when khal hadn't murdered him viscously despite his doubt. he wouldn't admit it, but he had also developed a slight fondness for the kid: the fact that he was young, combined with his heritage, had wisteria sympathetic for him already. the dryad probably also had a bit of a bleeding heart, considering how quickly he'd grown to trust skaria and levy too.

he watched skaria's face at the mention of the tiefling's magic. he had guessed the other had a bit of healing magic, but he hadn't heard much about it besides that, and he was admittedly a little curious. he wasn't going to push it, however, especially after hearing skaria's quiet addendum. wisteria had to remember not to get too attached. "i know a little bit of healing already, anyway, and i don't know how compatible your healing would be with a different physiology..." he thought out loud. when he got back home, and he would inevitably, he decided he would look more into the differences between fae and bestial species. he'd probably have to find some books for this kingdom too, for his research to be unbiased. "regardless, you're right. i should focus on learning the most useful spells, although if i write them down, i can study them after leaving too."

Skaria raised his eyebrow at Wisteria with a grin. Really, Skaria would have doubted himself. Khal did look a bit... Intimidating. But he had a good heart. Part of the reason Skaria trusted him. He was a bit relieved when Wisteria confessed to knowing some healing. Good, That ment he was a bit more capable then Skaria had previous thought. But then he was nodding. Telling the other. "I'll try and find you another spell book before you have to go. But I'm afraid those aren't very common here. " His expression then became a little more sheepish as he looked towards Levy. Confessing. "I'd write down my own spells for you. But uh- I don't really know how to write in common. " His cheeks darkening a bit. It was never really something him or Levy had needed to learn.

Skaria then shook his head before telling Wisteria. "You probable ought to start brushing up on your orcish. I imagine you'll need it if you intend to stay here. " His own home had been a mixture of languages. But Orcish had certainly been the most common. Khal was wrinkling his nose at that. Staring at Skaria before looking at Wisteria. "Don't listen to him. Learn Goblin. Its way better to talk to Goblins around here. Orcs aren't exactly the cleverest folks. " Khal was probable a bit biased on the subject.

Skaria though quickly argued. "No, Orcish. Orcs are almost always the ones in charge. You never see a goblin being the chief of anything other then other goblins. " Yeah, This might only confuse Wisteria. Atleast he didn't have to hear as Levy squeaked out. "I mean! all my friends speak Demonic. " Then earned her a glare from Skaria. "Oh don't you get started too. " Though Levy just twitched her ear. Musing. "I'm just saying. If he wants a fun time he should learn demonic! "

(Hey, I think my next post should probable be a time skip. Do you want to skip to when Skaria is injured? Or do you want to play out one more normal visit with him? )

with a shrug, wisteria shut the book and held it out for skaria, or khal, to take. "if you want try, be my guest, but don't feel pressured or anything. there's only so many spells i can learn in such a short period of time, anyway," he pointed out. it had taken him months to learn the healing spells he knew, and that was when he was being taught by his sister, who was unusually proficient with healing. "i'll have my hands full even with just the disguise spell."

he listened to skaria and khal (and apparenty levy) argue about languages for a few moments, biting back a laugh. "where and how would i learn either of those languages anyway?" khal could hypothetically teach him goblin, he supposed, and skaria apparently knew orcish, but neither of them were going to be around long enough to actually teach him anything. "besides," he said, throwing skaria a teasing look. "i think i agree with khal. why would i want to talk to the leaders of the groups that want to kill me? not to mention the general public is probably a better source of information than the leaders, anyway."

//i think skipping to the injury ;; idk how much more plot there is to develop in the regular visits anyway
this is such a short post im so sorry i have like 0 muse right now

(Okay dokay! Time skip! )

Skaria and his group had always been a strong team. Sure, Not all of them were the most brilliant fighters. But they had a smart leader and a tight bond with eachother. Yet even the most powerful team had there flaws. For Skaria, It was that his team was tiny. They were strong hitters. Who rushed into battle to cause a lot of damage before fleeing. Always taking enemies by surprise. But when they themselves had been taken by surprise? Well, It was a recipe for disaster.

It was daytime when they were struck. The mostly nocturnal group having settled down to slumber the days heat away. The young goblin Klink had been comfortable curled up asleep with her twin brother next to her. But her rest was interrupted as she felt herself being shaken awake. The first thing that hit her as she blinked her one eye open was the screams of war. This was not the first time she had been awoken like this. Her brother hovering over her with fear sketched on her face as they scrambled to prepare themselves for battle. She had only been a child the first time she had faced something like this. Age had not calmed her fears though and she froze up as fear clutched her chest.

It was will alone that made her move. The knowledge that outside those she had grown to love as family were fighting. Blink was clearly of the same mindset. Grasping his small war axe as Klink retrieved her crossbow before the two were barrelling out of the tent.
The smell of smoke seemed to fill the air. Fire everywhere though the source was from a friend. The hobgoblin Treat had already set to try and block the enemies path with flames. But there was so many, And Klink could see some with wings. Rith was nearby. Shouting orders that Klink could barely hear as he grappled with a creature that seemed more tree then human. A nymph. Jek was perched shooting arrows across the blaze. Khal was snarling as he snapped at a few fairies who dared get too close. Lastly, Skaria was in the middle of a sword fight with two humans. Though he seemed to be struggling just to defend himself.

Klink wasted no time in charging forward. She was still injured from the previous battles. But she lifted her crossbow still and fired into one of the two humans. While her brother wasted no time in leaping upon the mans back and hacking at him with his axe. Out the corner of her eye Klink could see Skaria nod to her in appreciation before focusing back on the fray. But the tiny group was still outnumbered and while they fought with tooth and nail. They all knew this was a losing battle.

Too many men, Too many swords. When too many had breached the firewall was when Rith finally screeched for a retreat. Klink at that point was barely standing. Trembling and bloody. Her brother in just as bad a state as he quickly maneuvered to her side. Treat was attempting to summon another fire spell to block the groups retreat and the goblin siblings were just starting to fall back when Klink heard a familiar scream as well as a squeak of pain. She knew that voice. Instantly her gaze snapped towards her tiefling companion who was surrounded. A sword shoved threw him. "Skaria! " Klink cried out. The goblin siblings already attempting to move towards him as they watched him drop. But then a hand was on Klink's shoulder. Rith hovering over them as he shouted. "We can't save him. Hurry, Fall back! " Klink was startled by there leaders order. Already opening her mouth to argue. But when the bugbear realized that the two goblins were going to resist. He wasted no time. Scooping them up and tossing them over his shoulder before beginning to sprint. Both siblings kicking and screaming. Family left behind. It was something they had done before and sworn never to repeat. But sadly it seemed fate had given them no choice and as they disappeared into the tree line neither could see Skaria any longer.

---

Blood. Skaria could feel it coating him. Some his, Some not. It was sticky and wrong. The sword threw him was also wrong. He was aware of the nymph in front of him. Purple flowering hair and for a moment he thought it was Wisteria. But those were not the same kind of flowers. This man had a scowl on his face and was gripping the sword tightly as Skaria no longer could hold his weight. Falling against the other. Though he was quickly shoved aside and his body crumbled to the ground. Where was Levy? He could feel her heart beat and thus knew she was alive. Oh, There she was. Squirming around on the ground and gasping. Why was Skaria not feeling pain. Was it shock? No... Perhaps Levy was taking it for him. It was not the first time she had carried his pain for him and it explained those pained squeaks coming from her. Or maybe she had her own injuries? No, If she was hurt he would feel it. They knew and felt when the other was hurt.

Where was his friends? He could see them threw the grass and figures. There backs... Fleeing from him. No, He was still alive. He was here. He wanted to cry for them to save them. For them to save Levy atleast. But there were too far and the only thing he could manage was a weak croak. The figure that had cut him threw stood hovering over him. Skaria was aware of him talking. But his vision was blurring and he couldn't make out what was being said. Then, A little rat was leaping in front of Skaria. Puffed up. Huh, She seemed almost to be growing bigger as he stared. The last thing Skaria saw before he finally dripped into unconsciousness was a flash of scales.

---
Later
---

They were safe. Skaria laid out on the forest floor as the rat trembled on her feet. When had she become so weak? Perhaps when she became more then just wrath. Or maybe it was the bond that weakened her. But it did not matter. They were away from the battle though Levy wished she had destroyed every last man and woman there. Instead she had simply fled to a familiar tree. Leaving a trail of blood and limbs in her wake. Those who had dared get in her way and threatened her Skaria. A part of her wished to turn around. Go back and finish things off. But she feared if she left Skaria or recieved one more injury then she would lose her little boy. She had already come too close. Perhaps the only thing keeping him alive was his bond to her and his mothers blood coursing threw him. But there was still too much blood.

His heartbeat was so slow. Where were the others? Weren't they supposed to always stay at eachothers side. Levy had to pull those thoughts from her mind. Her wrath would consume her if she dared entertain those sorts of ideas. For now. She simply needed to seek help. The cave. Wisteria had mentioned healing magic and while Levy had not fully thought threw her plan. She knew she had to seek some sort of safety. She could only hope that the two could trust the nymph. Slowly. The rat hauled her way to the cave that Wisteria often hid in. Slipping into the burrow. She was slipping. But she had to find him. Call to him. Managing a soft little squeak as she tried to call for Wisteria before she finally collapsed onto the ground.

(Got a bit carried away with this. Whoops. )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back