Advice/Help My imagination does not seem to be working

Rekai Leon

The Fluffy Kitty
The title is pretty self-explanatory. I'm having problems writing RP posts - even short and simple ones. Normally I will just relax and let my imagination does the work, but in the last few years it seems to be slowly shutting down. I have been trying to write as much as I can for the last few hours, but I cannot even finish a single paragraph. I just feel so... disconnected from my characters. I created them, but right now I am feeling like they aren't my characters anymore. I don't know what they are thinking, how they are feeling, or what they would do. I really like RPing and I want to do it, but I am feeling like my subconscious mind does not agree with me.

Any advice or help would be appreciated. Thanks.

*Out of embarrasment, clears throat since he forgot to explain*

I figure that since RPing is a lot like acting, roleplaying as your character in a more stable/cozy environment might help you to get a feel for the core of your character's personality. That and it's kinda fun.

If you're feeling a bit lost about how to act out your characters, I'd recommend checking out the Myers-Briggs test to further help you get a grasp on the essence of your character. That said, they aren't perfect, just that they're really helpful guides. Here's a neat little video that I watched ages ago about this topic:

You might also want to take a look at other videos to help deepen your understanding. Here's another one I watched recently that helped me to understand it a little better:

Whwnever I feel low on creativity I always try to do something that makes me feel inspired. Normally for me thats playing golden light. Seeing so many good ideas really gets me in the writing mood. It also puts me in a better mood : ).

I would take a step back from roleplay for a bit. The harder you try to, the more complicated it will be at least that's what happened with me. I would have similar feelings and try so much to write and make characters, I ended up not doing anything at all. What helps me when I am feeling low is music, one. Music, some, tends to tell me stories about characters. Where are they going, how did they get there, what are they trying to do. It also makes for some pretty good scenes in my head that I am inspired to build around to quite possibly reach that scene that started everything. Some songs help with character creation. Another thing I find helpful is reading. While you are, and it's up to you, on a break. Get engrossed in a good book, if that's your thing. I can't tell you how many times inspiration has come to me after reading plus, it can help you improve and who doesn't want that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back