• When posting, please be aware that artistic nudity is still nudity and not allowed under RpNation rules. Please edit your pictures accordingly!

Remember to credit artists when using work not your own.

Help My BBCode Is All Sorts Of Messed Up

Dreamweaver

One Thousand Club
Hey guys, quick question. When I highlight something to try and bold or underline it, the BBCode appears to go crazy and also bold/highlight everything under it as well. Has anyone experienced this before?

Are you editing on mobile or desktop?

I am editing on desktop. Here is an example of what it looks like before and after trying to bold the highlighted section.

Before - Before.png

After - After.png

Odd. I don't have that issue, I tested to see if the RTE was being a jerk:
snUl0Ff1uP.gif

This is going to sound silly, but have you tried to edit with RTE turned off? Try that and see if you can bold the text and the rest is unaffected. You can also see if swapping back to RTE to bold if it still does this oddness afterwards.

Additionally, a go-to suggestion is to clear your cache as anytime there is an update to the site, sometimes some conflicting cache causes chaos.

Odd. I don't have that issue, I tested to see if the RTE was being a jerk:
View attachment 608708

This is going to sound silly, but have you tried to edit with RTE turned off? Try that and see if you can bold the text and the rest is unaffected. You can also see if swapping back to RTE to bold if it still does this oddness afterwards.

Additionally, a go-to suggestion is to clear your cache as anytime there is an update to the site, sometimes some conflicting cache causes chaos.
Small, unrelated question: What are you using to record your screen for that gif?

What is an RTE? I'm afraid I don't know that term.
I believe they are referring to the rich editor. You can tell whether it's turned off or on by whether the buttons (like the bold button for instance, or the emoji button) work. You can turn it on and off by clicking the cog.

Captura de Ecrã (222).png

Small, unrelated question: What are you using to record your screen for that gif?
recordit I think is the name. There are a ton of other programs that do this better I think, I just have cause I can turn the capture into gifs, lol.

Clearing my cache unfortunately didn't do anything.

What is an RTE? I'm afraid I don't know that term.
RTE = rich text editor. Most of us who code turn that sucker off because it causes nothing but problems. Click the and you can now manually code.

recordit I think is the name. There are a ton of other programs that do this better I think, I just have cause I can turn the capture into gifs, lol.
Is it paid or free? I do have one that's free (well, free trial version), but it leaves a watermark.

I wouldn't really call myself a coder at all, and I've never turned that little cog on. I've always had it off and only ever really used tabs and tables for bbcode. I guess if you turn it on you have to code in things like {b} for bold? (except with [ ] instead)

I wouldn't really call myself a coder at all, and I've never turned that little cog off. I've always had it off and only ever really used tabs and tables for bbcode. I guess if you turn it off you have to code in things like for bold?
You can turn it on and off freely. The thing about turning it off is that it lets you see the code directly, and also it doesn't have the same bad habit of autocompleting when it isn't supposed to.

Is it paid or free? I do have one that's free (well, free trial version), but it leaves a watermark.
I think it's a freebie. I got this so long ago I can't even remember if I paid/donated towards it.

I wouldn't really call myself a coder at all, and I've never turned that little cog off. I've always had it off and only ever really used tabs and tables for bbcode. I guess if you turn it off you have to code in things like for bold?
Yes, to bold is the [b]bold[/b] tag. If it's highlighting extra text you may have hit some combinations of buttons to trigger something. I do that at times and it screws with my text editing because the one I most commonly trigger is that when I would type it would just replace the letters entirely causing older text to get 'eaten.' I know if you accidentally trigger sticky keys, a mouse click to highlight cause cause it to highlight all text.

Okay interesting, I will try messing around with this and see if I can become proficient at it. I've not been using it the whole time

I 100% didn't waste any time writing this in [BB]Code... Also, i don't have any issues with it - Except for image placement on profile signatures or such.

Hey guys, quick question. When I highlight something to try and bold or underline it, the BBCode appears to go crazy and also bold/highlight everything under it as well. Has anyone experienced this before?

This is happening for me too, as of just about a week ago. Never happened before, but now it's really tough to bolt, italic, modify font size or do anything else without messing up the following text. Desktop.

Dreamweaver Dreamweaver Baba Luga Baba Luga
@FoolsErin

Are you using Firefox? This is an issue that Firefox introduced and the people behind our Forum Software are going to try to patch it as soon as they can. This is not something we can fix our selves, it's messing with me as well now that I've realized it since my main browser is firefox. I can't replicate this on Chrome and neither can they.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back