Viewpoint My age is making RP impossible.

This. I'd never be mean about it. And the same person could come up and ask me for help with (as an example) developing a good storyline for a short story, and I'd be happy to help. I don't have issues with minors, I just don't want to actually RP with them.

Last edited:
It's definitely not ageism. Whether you like it or not there's a social stigma around it. You wouldn't want a 20+ year old texting a 13-14 year old every day. Unless they were related or something obviously. At least I wouldn't want that. It's the same kind of thing. Add on top of that most rps, at least that I do, involve romance. And that's a whole other bag of worms. Yes I personally maintain that boundary of player vs character but a court of law might find you roleplaying a relationship with a minor not as innocent.

You might talk to them at a party or something if they were there (group rp) but at the same time if the party was full of 30 year olds someone would probably ask "ay yo why is this 14 year old here that doesn't seem appropriate" and they wouldn't be wrong.

I have to agree with some, I do not see it as ageism. It's more of a preference and comfort level to many adults in society.

If I may politely express myself, as this conversation is quite interesting.

I don’t believe politely turning down a partner under the age of 18 is a form of ageism. Why? Because I’ve been on the receiving end of ageism and being degraded. And it does not appear to me that those who do not want to roleplay with a partner under the age of 18 are partaking in that, they’re expressing what they’re comfortable with. It doesn’t at all translate that they hold negative thoughts or opinions on roleplayers under the age of 18.

The best way to find a good comparison of what is and what is not ageism is by using the metaphor of a cup of tea as an example.

Let’s say I offer you a cup of tea, but you do not feel like having a cup.

So, you politely decline and say “No, I would not like this cup of tea, but thank you for your offer!”

Now ageism would be more along the lines of you saying something like “I do not want this disgusting cup of tea, it is ignorant and beneath me, because it was made five minutes ago.” The difference being is that there is an actual insult and degrading towards the cup of tea.
I wholeheartedly agree with this. I play a lot of video games, especially Fortnite and the amount of harassment some kids get is unreal and unnerving. I remember being in this match with this dude who I was talking to and he was fine, we were just chit-chatting and I guess another teanmante heard us having a talk and wanted to join, it was a 16 year old kid. The moment he spoke? the dude I was talking to originally turned into a monster, just harrasing the poor kid just because of his age and the worst part? the 16-year-old wanted to make amends by saying 'Hey I think we got off in the wrong foot. Can we try communicating at least?' It was honestly painful. I tried talking to the kid after and see if he wanted to play but I think he was too shaken after that.

I wholeheartedly agree with this. I play a lot of video games, especially Fortnite and the amount of harassment some kids get is unreal and unnerving. I remember being in this match with this dude who I was talking to and he was fine, we were just chit-chatting and I guess another teanmante heard us having a talk and wanted to join, it was a 16 year old kid. The moment he spoke? the dude I was talking to originally turned into a monster, just harrasing the poor kid just because of his age and the worst part? the 16-year-old wanted to make amends by saying 'Hey I think we got off in the wrong foot. Can we try communicating at least?' It was honestly painful. I tried talking to the kid after and see if he wanted to play but I think he was too shaken after that.

See, that is shit I would never do.

I didn't say I'd start being a bitch. I didn't say I wouldn't be friendly. Teach a 16 year old stuff? Sure thing. Be there if they needed advice? Absolutely. I just don't want to RP with someone so young, and I have had 41 years' worth of reasons that support that. As someone said above, someone that young just doesn't have the life experience that puts them on an even footing. Although concerns about smut are there, I am way more concerned about flow of play and level of maturity. Just as an example every time I have had to deal with godmoding or other game-stoppers, I have been dealing with someone really young. It really does boil down to the level of maturity I need in a partner. Younger than 18 doesn't have that.

Does this happen to you? Or am I alone?
Yes, but the opposite. My age spooks many people who take me for some weird perv to hunt on young girls/boys, all the while I rarely even seek anything romantic or sexual in games! I just want wonky adventures and care not for the other party's age!

That said, you have to understand other people too. If anything romantic or sexy is to happen, and their partner is underage, at least in the US they can get in serious trouble. And from what I see, most of not all of the RPs (at least 1x1 ones) are of a romantic nature. I do not agree with the statement that just because two characters kiss in a game you're automatically a pedo... but the law sure does.

I find the topic of age to be a sensitive and sore one for many people.

We have many people between 13-18, 19-30, 30-60. No one is too young or too young to roleplay, write, tabletop if they are legally allowed to be here. Doesn't stop people though. Part of the reason is that age gating is used as a form of trying to find people for Erotic Roleplaying which is against our site rules. My recommendation is to not give people your age, and not to roleplay with anyone who asks.

I want folks to be able to play, definitely. I don't necessarily agree that people should be turned down for asking when it's such a hard limit. If I found out a partner was underage, I actually would feel pretty violated.

My only two cents concerning this and I'm out. I'm only speaking for myself. My personal reason for not roleplaying with anyone under 18 is because I don't want to write with children. It has nothing to do with any kind of erotic roleplay garbage or that nonsense but I feel some people under 18, hell people above 18 too, are not mature enough.

I've been writing for years and I've seen some of the most asinine people ever to have occupied groups even now that's a major reason why I have hung up my writing belt. Most people, and if you don't do this awesome, under a certain age that I have seen don't have a lot of restrictions that will allow them to be online at all types of times where they want you to post constantly and I don't have time for no one bothering to understand I have a life too.

Part of the reason is that age gating is used as a form of trying to find people for Erotic Roleplaying which is against our site rules. My recommendation is to not give people your age, and not to roleplay with anyone who asks.
Curious if you're advocating for people to avoid RPing with people for just broadly stating 18+ or asking someone for their specific age. Because those are very different things. I also find it neat how you're member number 1. But I guess that makes sense.

I think your age might be less of a deterrent than the teeny hints of arrogance when you describe your writing skill :lenny::neutralteeth: if you meet the age requirements for the site find people the same age as you to RP with. There are a few younger people joining because the site we used to use (Aimed at children but we just never left lol) is shutting down on the 30th.

I think your age might be less of a deterrent than the teeny hints of arrogance when you describe your writing skill :lenny::neutralteeth: if you meet the age requirements for the site find people the same age as you to RP with. There are a few younger people joining because the site we used to use (Aimed at children but we just never left lol) is shutting down on the 30th.
An aside I guess;
Since my old site was mainly 12 year olds I’m used to being the oldest RPer but from the looks of things here i’m Baby 😂

I suppose I sort of have the same problem, but I do understand where the other end is coming from. While I do not like being thought of as immature or too young to handle heavier subjects (other than sexual content), I do get that many adults would feel very uncomfortable role-playing with a minor for fear of getting into deep trouble with that person's parents. I know my dad probably wouldn't be too pleased to find me role-playing with someone 20+ years older than I am, and according to my own intuition I would never do it of my own accord either.

In fact, just a day ago, an adult much older than me came to me in my private messages asking to do a Harry Potter role-play. I was the one who felt uncomfortable and I expressed my discomfort. They were very respectful and understood my reasoning. So for me, it kind of goes both ways. While I do wish I was able to role-play with more people, I also understand that they may feel uncomfortable talking to a minor, and in turn I may feel uncomfortable talking to someone who is much older than I am.

And I agree with many other people in this post when they say it does come down to maturity. While I don't like being thought of as too immature to handle the heavier stuff, I also know that at this point in time I might still be a little too immature for someone's tastes. I'll never be the best at writing, nor do I think I'm at my best abilities now. I don't even know if I could trust myself to handle mature topics, even if I may think myself as able to do so.

Last edited:
It's less about the content of the writing and more about the OOC friendship, to me. I like to talk to my partners about what my day was like, events I think could come up in the future of the RP, etc. I don't really want to be sitting there describing the type of beer I had last Friday to someone who's under the legal drinking age, and I don't want to be talking about anything mature with someone who isn't of age enough to hear about it.

It just kind of boils down to the fact that I'm an adult, about to be 25, and I don't like the idea of sharing my personal life with minors. If I can't talk to my partner about how my day was, how am I going to feel interested enough in them to chat with them about the roleplay?

I think most adults' concern is legal issues with the law. Even if the roleplay is innocent to many, it only takes one parent to scream "predator" and that is a whole another can of worms.

My reason for not RPing with minors is two reasons.

It is weird to RP darker subjects with someone who is real young.
As a minor a person is under the rule of another person and different laws that can lead to issues if a parent gets on online and sees something they don't like.

And it has nipped both me and another RP friend in the rear on both these subjects. Worse for my friend than me. I had a partner we were barely RPing when they started talking about their 21st birthday party and they asked for drinking advise. I suddenly get contacted by the 13 year olds mom asking about this conversation! I gave over the link to the conversation and was actually told my advise was very responsible and when the kid actually turns 21 they will remind them of it. And the kids and mom new DA account was removed.

The friend had a much hotter issue as they were in the midst of a very dark themed RP. His partner turned out to be a minor. And their parent was accusing him of leading the kid to satanic worship. Being a smart alec he pretty much spent a good chunk of time messing with the parent by pointing out the kid started the weird ritual stuff in the RP and asking where they learned such things before they ever talked to him.

That rough, but understandable. old people are ofter wary of hanging out with kids because of their reputation, and sometimes they just feel better knowing they don't have to filter their words because they are minors. Either way, it happens. You can't escape it.

But hey, everyone has its problems. Not everyone is willing to RP with me either.

I don't mind you being young, nor I mind you thinking highly of yourself as long as you can back it up.
PM me if you want to RP, chat or whatever.

I used to lie about my age... Don't think anyone ever noticed, but nowadays, I can usually tell when my partner is on the younger side.

For me, it's not really about not wanting to RP with younger writers as much I feel like I'm morally obligated to restrict certain content when I write with them. Since I'm usually craving the darker stuff, it's just no bueno.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back