Other Musicals! What are your favorites?

Skytse

Born to Make History
I'm a huge fan of Dear Evan Hansen, Be More Chill, Heathers, Hamilton, and to a lesser extent Newsies and I'd love to chat abt any of it :D
What are your favorite characters? Least favorite ones? Ships? Just whatever so not intending to start ship wars I promise

Evan, Michael, Veronica and JD, and Aaron Burr are my favorites from the ones I know well. I don't really have a lot of Hated Characters, but I'm probably least fond of Larry, Chloe, Kinda?? Ms Fleming? I don't know I don't like her too much, and... Man IDk. Probably Maria sdksdlkv

My top 10, as of late.

1. Newsies
  2. Spring Awakening
  3. Hamilton
  4. Les Misérables
  5. The Book of Mormon
  6. Sweeney Todd
  7. Dear Evan Hansen
  8. Natasha, Pierre and the Great Comet of 1812
  9. The Hunchback of Notre Dame (which should def go to Broadway)
  10. Heathers

I mean, there's tons of other musicals I like. I love Be More Chill, Wicked, Next to Normal, Something Rotten, Hello Dolly, Chicago, and Falsettos, just to name a few.

Without a doubt, my favorite character from a musical is Moritz Stiefel from Spring Awakening. I feel like what he goes through really illustrates some deep problems in the way kids are educated (not to spoil anything), and both John Gallagher Jr. and Daniel Durant's portrayals brought so much tenderness and painful emotion to the character. I relate to Moritz on many levels, and I know I'm not alone in that.

My least favorite character from a musical is probably Mark from RENT. He has a starkly entitled and condescending demeanor, and the story seems to validate that rather than question it. Contrast Kevin Price from Book of Mormon, who also has an entitled attitude, but the story always frames that in a negative, mocking light. By the end of Book of Mormon, Elder Price has to overcome his ego problems and help out others. Mark, on the other hand, seems to be under the impression that his status as an artist gives him free reign to look down on people who choose to support themselves instead of remaining true to the romanticized artist lifestyle., and this is basically never addressed. He goes through the least character development of anyone in the cast, and is just consistently annoying to watch.

My top 10 in no particular order are
1. Phantom of the Opera
2. Sweeney Todd
3. Evita
4. Cats
5. Wicked
6. Into the Woods
7. Rent
8. Chicago
9. The Greatest Showman
10. Repo the Genetic Opera (movie musical, was in a small theater for awhile before hand)

I like a lot more, but tend to stick to more classic musicals. The only 'modern' one I like is Hamilton, and that's only for a half the soundtrack. XD (Still wish I could see it.)

Last edited:
Chimney Swift Chimney Swift Oh wow all of that is fair. Evan is definitely one of my top favorites because I relate really really heavily to his character in certain respects, like with his social anxieties and such, and it's refreshing to see a character that thinks like I do! Even if stuff in the musical goes awry

snowflake snowflake I love into the woods OxO and speaking as someone who had the luck to get Hamilton tickets, its really really good and if you get the opportunity attack it you will love it

Hamilton (Duh)
Blood Brothers
We Will Rock You
School of Rock (Sense a pattern?)
Wicked

I'm a theater nerd. What more can I say?

*Cracks fingers* I study musical theatre at college (and soon to be university!) so this is my jam!
I'm a major fan of old musicals. Rodgers and hammerstein do some amazing ones (Sound of Music, State Fair, Carousel, Oklahoma).
My favourite by far however is Hello, Dolly! (The one that's in Wall-E). It's so beautiful and heart warming and makes me feel good whenever I watch it

for me its

Rock of Ages its perfect with 80's rock songs. The main love song is Don't Stop Believing. It is really underrated to be that was Tom Cruise's best movie

Sweeney Todd I was shocked after watching it that the musical was based on a legend that was based on a real Sweeney Todd

Hamilton is my all time favorite, but on a second viewing of Spring Awakening made me fall in love with that as well.

A few of my personal favorites are,

- Grease
- Singing in the Rain
- Be More Chill
- CATS
- Hamilton
- Wicked
- Little Shop of Horrors
- Rocky Horror Picture Show
- Annie (1982)
- School of Rock
- The Lion King
- Avenue Q

- Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (George Hearn and Angela Lansbury version)
- Into the Woods (Bernadette Peters version)
- Oklahoma! (The Hugh Jackman version)
- Chicago
- Rocky Horror Picture Show
- Little Shop of Horrors
- School of Rock

Little Shop of Horrors
Sweeny Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

These are two of my favorites. My friend actually introduced me to them and now I'm starting to really like musicals!

Hamilton (which I've seen), Dear Evan Hansen, Be More Chill, Grease, Heathers, Newsies, Falsettos (revival), Wicked (which I've also seen), and Rent are my favs

I haven't listened to many musicals, admittedly, but one of my all-time favorites is Big River (the Huckleberry Finn musical). I may just be partial because I also really loved Twain's novel, and I think it's much more impactful if you have read the book, but it's such a beautiful story with or without.

Here's a clip of Daniel Jenkins and Ron Richardson, who were in the original cast, and in my opinion, were the best Huck and Jim.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back