• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Siuhaydis, Goddess of Air, Lightning & Change

Was this what had befallen you and your compatriots, Lady Siuhaydis?"

Siuhaydis pondered on Felix’s question for a moment. She followed his gaze to the earth before casting her eyes to the ravaged ground and putrid corpses of the erstwhile gods turned abominations. He might’ve been speaking of the corrupted fel beasts, but her mind was on a recurring pattern that seemed to permeate wherever the cursed Emperor laid his influence upon.

“Treachery and duplicity?” She spoke out loud, waving coolly at the devastation before them, “it appears to embody your empire Felix,” her voice was pained, spoken as if she knew it all too well. Before she could continue the conversation, they were approached first by the large warrior deity and then by none other than the Lord of Magpies himself.

The goddess watched Svakre with keen interest, not having missed the way he spoke to the disconsolate red-haired priestess with a tenderness that belied his raw strength and now with the high regard he held for Felix. Though he fought with a brutality that bordered on savagery, this god was anything but a brute. If anything she was sure he was an Averusian spirit, though what compelled such a noble warrior to betray his bloodland Siuhaydis could not fathom.

Then came Tamakai, in what could only appear to her as a flurry of impassioned one-sided discourse. She resonated with him, though even the Northern Tempest knew that now wasn’t the time to be debating apologetics. But before she could chastise him, Tevan himself had spoken up. Something about the whole situation struck a chord within the mercurial goddess’ heart and she found herself letting out a tinkling giggle. A hand moved to cover her mouth in a dainty effort to contain her mirth.

“Oh dear Tamakai,” she looked to the trickster god, a smile in her own silver eyes, “would that you and your chittering be always welcome at the Cloud Altar-” there was a slight hitch in Siuhaydis’ voice, but her mood wasn’t dampened, “but even I believe that there is a better time for this. . . though, I am curious as to what our brave soldier believes of us.” The goddess shifted her gaze back to Felix for just a brief moment. “Alas, it is time we rested.”

She turned as Tevan spoke, he too suggested that they all take a breather for the night. But the Goddess was notably silent at his wish of avoiding conflict.

Mentions: AI10100 AI10100 Worthlessplebian Worthlessplebian AncientBird AncientBird SilverFlight SilverFlight

Felix Valerius Sergius
Interacting with: Lekiel Lekiel SilverFlight SilverFlight Worthlessplebian Worthlessplebian myk9ma myk9ma AncientBird AncientBird

Felix turned to Onyx Rhino— resolution coming back to his features. He had not known Lord Svakre for long despite the territory being close by. But this is a situation that was shared between the three of them and there was no one else he would entrust his loyalty to. One of the few he could trust. From what little strength he could find in himself, he pressed a fist onto his chest. "You have my loyalty, Lord Svakre. I only wish for the safety of the people of the Empire, a sentiment I believe we both share." His thoughts went to his own family. Their belief in the Emperor would likely remain unshaken despite his own input in it. Felix surely wouldn't believe himself had he not seen the events happen before his own eyes. But he would cross that bridge when he got there.

He turned back to the Air Goddess.
"The monsters, Lady Siuhaydis. I was wondering if they had been present during your own war." He corrected.

The other god, Tamakai, walked into their conversation. He kept silent as the god continued to speak. The god had not allowed him to speak, not that Felix knew what to say anyway. It was wildly different from what they had been taught, of course. And it was true that blind loyalty was bred from the conquest. He held his tongue as Tamakai left, not making a comment on his rant. His question had been answered— with more information than he would have liked.

Tevan was more understanding of said Imperial beliefs and pacified the situation. Felix did not take whatever Tamakai had said to heart, no matter how much anger the god had seethed in his words. It would seem that Lady Siuhaydis was curious as to exactly what he had believed in Tamakai's words. Felix, himself, did not know the answer to that. He would need to think on it more when he was in a less injured state. Tomorrow, preferably.

"The emperor... no, I believe you've encountered the emperor of old. The emperor's predecessor still uses them, I believe."

Nasrin spoke about where she had come from. Felix's blood ran cold. The Fallah House. He had remembered encountering some of their members and the rumors of their numerous slaves had caused him to be on their guard against them. Yet this one seemed so nice. So he kept his mouth closed for the moment, wondering if he could speak with Nasrin about their... shared noble background. In any case, it would seem that she felt the same pull towards the forest. Could it be...?

"You're not alone in that feeling, Nasrin, I assure you that. Something about this forest had called out to me. Around the same time as..." He paused, as if he was hesitant but continued regardless. "As when I had discovered I was able to command the air, albeit at a lower level than Lord Aetius." It was something he had believed to have been a gift from his Lord. But... he was starting to doubt even that belief. "Also I believe I need aid to get into the temple. I'm afraid I would have to burden you for the moment."

The plan was to go South. Felix wondered what his squadron was doing currently. He had not been gone for long but they would surely be riding around the area. Would he be able to find them? No, there was another problem. Would they still follow him after knowing the truth? He was unsure of their stance regarding loyalty to the Emperor. Some of them had only been given a chance for freedom by working as a hunter like himself. Felix would like to say he had treated them well to earn their loyalty. But who would join him on this mad quest?

Tevan had returned with yet another human who seemed even more injured than himself. Had he dared brave the forest alone? Felix would have said that it was a foolish endeavor had he not been planning the same before he was ordered to go along with the rest of the Imperial team.

Tamakai, God of Entertainment and Tricks

Tevan was the first to respond to Tamakai’s speech. The central god of earth tried to conciliate the situation and preached the trickster god to calm down. Siuhaydis the wind goddess also agreed with Tevan’s word and told Tamakai that it wasn’t the right time to bring up such topic against the imperialists.

Tamakai looked back at them both. He kind of expected Tevan to react that way, however the trickster was caught quite off guard to see Siuhaydis reacting that way, since just a while ago, she was being even more antagonistic toward the imperial party than Tamakai himself was when they first appeared, being chased by the abomination. Perhaps it was her new sympathy for their misfortune and loss of many members, or it was simply just a calm stage of her ever changing wind.

Thinking deeper, Tamakai did see their point. Perhaps he was just too harsh on the imperialists, bringing up something that would probably have been conflicting within their mind, while also having to mourn the loss of their comrades… The trickster let out a long sigh.

“You two are right… Pardon me, it was rather uncalled for, wasn’t it?” Said Tamakai.

“The night had probably taken a toll on my mood… It's just so long… Cold, dull and full of owls hooting in the background.” Tamakai let out a brief, mild chuckle before looking through the darkness, at the direction where he left the magpie bodies. From the faint chittering noise, some of the night critters must have already descended upon the carcasses… This was probably the most impactful cause of his dampened mood.

“I will get going and tuck myself in then… You will likely find your usual, old magpie again when the sun emerges.” Spoke Tamakai as he transformed, taking his avain skin and flew up to a beam up the temple ceiling. Geris and some other magpies that still hung around glared briefly at the other gods and then followed Tamakai to the roost.

They all huddled together on the beam, likely for their usual night time protection… However, they seemed to snuck closer to Tamakai than they would normally do…

SilverFlight SilverFlight Lekiel Lekiel

Svakre, The Onyx Rhino

The mountainous figure of muscle and steel, bowed his head in gratitude towards the Imperial soldier. Felix represented the starting point in an long line of soldiers that Svakre hoped to utilise. To fight alongside. His newly-found allies had their supplements or will have them soon, but no Imperial soldier—Averus or not—would fight willingly for the entities that they have spent their entire lives combating. In the flesh, wit, and spirit. Instead Svakre anticipated that they would find it far more palatable that a God such as himself would lead the charge. They would see it as an alliance between a God that has their best interests at heart and the eternal enemy that the Empire preached against. Or the Black Baron is mistaking his presence, perhaps the experienced soldier would see through his ruse. His nature and declare him a traitor, not just to the Emperor but to them as well for attempting a perceived deception. Whatever the case be, Svakre believes that it is best to deal with that notion when it begins to rear its ugly head.

The other deities had begun to express their concern for Svakre's peoples. A nod of solidarity was all that he gave them. Despite their rivalry and hardships imposed upon them, he is grateful that these new cohorts were not so self-absorbed. Bless Rufia's heart for blinding herself to the personality tics that his fellow Gods exhibited. That he exhibited. Empe—Nature knows that many had called him stone stubborn as well. Speaking of interesting perspectives. There had been a new arrival to this group. An unconscious man and a devotee of everyone present. Including... Himself... Which is incredibly odd as he butchered people like her. Those who swore their undying fealty to the Central Gods... Waste not, want not. He accepted the thyme. Not his customary offering, but he accepted nonetheless. He did use to eat a lot of plants while he was a little rhino-ling God.

"I shall stand first vigil then, may your rest come swiftly." Svakre voiced aloud his intentions, the Central deities might not trust him to guard but he'll commit to the act anyway. And while the temple provided shelter, he was not sure it is truly safe.

SilverFlight SilverFlight Lekiel Lekiel AI10100 AI10100 AncientBird AncientBird Arnalia Arnalia Monday Monday myk9ma myk9ma

Tevan let out a sigh of relief, for now at least, differences had been set aside. The Earth god had not truly slept in a very long time. He had no need for sleep, yet drained as he was, being imprisoned and then using his recovering gifts, he felt his eyelids droop.
Solaris and Svakre offered the first watch.

"I can take the second, if you would wake me." He said with a yawn.

To Felix's question Tevan gave the only answer he knew.
"I have never seen creatures like that. I have never fought with them, and never heard tales of them. These beasts are entirely new as far as I know."

Tevan carried their unconscious visitor to the second story room where they had made camp. There were blankets, all be it old and moth-eaten. The hole in the roof let moonlight pour in, catching the leaves from old vines, and the broken tiles of the stone floor. Tevan made sure their guest was lying comfortably, before he chose a spot for himself by the open balcony, looking out over the battle scene. Perhaps he did not have all his powers, but he could connect with the trees here, have some sort of warning if something big began tearing at them to get to the temple.

The odd pull had abated for now, and Tevan glanced over at the strange girl Nasrin. He certainly had more questions for her.
For now though, he grew back into his stag form and lay down, with his head resting on the window ledge. He glanced up to where Tamakai roosted with his magpies, feeling sorry he had chastised his friend. It seemed now that they would need all the friendship they could get...There were still so many missing pieces.
With those thoughts turning in his mind, sleep finally came for him.

*~*~*

Tevan woke when the sun was just a dim glow above the treeline. The temperature had lowered in the night, but not enough to be unpleasant. A thick coating of dew soaked the stone he had laid his head on, and the droplets sparkled in his white fur. White?
Tevan looked at his forelegs, and flank. All white. His divine colouring had returned, though he was still only slightly larger than a normal stag. It would be a long way back to his true divine form he thought.

Tevan rose, stretched and shook. He walked onto the balcony and leapt off it, landing softly on the stone floor below.
The scent of ichor still hung in the air, but to his surprise, the remnants of the creatures were all but gone. Eroded back to small fragments and dark stains on the stone.

Right. He remembered what their tentative new allies wanted to do. Tevan chose a spot on the ground made of soft earth, where the stones had been dashed to pebbles. He tried to concentrate, commanded the earth to move...and it stayed where it was.
He huffed in annoyance.

Going to a sturdy tree Tevan focused and brushed the branches with the tips of his antlers. The branches shuddered and grew and slowly, began to take shape. When the spell was complete a solid, hardwood shovel fell to the floor at his feet. He did this several times, and the last one he caught in both human hands.
He rolled up his sleeves, and started to dig.

Tevan would dig, until the others woke.

Worthlessplebian Worthlessplebian AncientBird AncientBird AI10100 AI10100 Monday Monday Lekiel Lekiel Lioness075 Lioness075 Arnalia Arnalia myk9ma myk9ma The Grand Fool The Grand Fool Headphones Headphones

Stilf woke with a start. He wrinkled his nose. Whatever he was laying on was soft, but very pungent. Smells like the lair of a hag. Looking around, he noticed he was in a temple. Upon a second glance, he noticed other people. Slowly and quietly getting to his feet, he looked around. I'm getting too old for scares like this. He slowly stepped over other sleeping soldiers. Soldiers of the Empire. What are they doing here? After doing a quick check to make sure nobody was awake, he wandered outside. He came upon a thin man, quietly digging away with a wooden shovel. Stilf watched him make what he knew too well were graves. Having made more than enough himself, he grew somber at the thought.
Greetings youngin, My name's Stilf. I'd like to thank you're people for taking me in after... yesterday... You need any help?

Solaris

Solaris woke at dawn, having slept lightly. As was her habit, she tried to meditate for a time, fruitlessly warding off concerns and speculations regarding the previous night's events. Soon, she heard Tevan stir, and leave the room, followed shortly by another. A few moments later she opened her eyes, unable to quell her restless thoughts, and, assured that all were resting peacefully with no dangers in sight, rose and left the temple.

It appeared she would not need to burn the monstrous corpses, after all. Tevan was already hard at work on the promised graves, having provided the necessary tools. He looked refreshed, though he still could not command earth. The latest addition to their motley crew had followed. "Greetings, Stilf. You are most welcome, for it is our duty to assist those in need. I believe introductions are in order. The one to whom you speak is Tevanus, God of Earth, and I am Solaris, Goddess of the Sun." She paused, gauging his response. "Whatever you believe of us, be it good or ill, I urge you to decide now, while the sun shines, whether you will go or stay. Be grateful you were spared the sight of last night's travesty. I would not wish you to become enmeshed in danger and strife apart from your choice."

That said, she picked up one of the wooden shovels and set to work beside Tevan, digging near Ælfweard's feet. Though she would give the others their due, her duty was, first and always, to her own. This was the least she could do after failing to prevent his fate. With the rising of the sun a measure of strength had been restored, and she made steady progress.

SilverFlight SilverFlight The Grand Fool The Grand Fool

Last edited:
Sun Wukong.png
Name: FalarionMinor God: Light
Affiliation: Old godFavorite Offering: Anything cat-related

As the sun shone down on the battlefield and a few began digging, Falarion slunk out of the ruins, feeling rather ashamed that he had been so distracted with the human during the fight. He should have done more, helped them fight. Now he just felt like a coward.
Perhaps this was what Solaris was feeling about her previous predicament. Falarion supposed he had a better understanding of the feeling now.

For once, Falarion could not think of any words and thus, he silently picked up a shovel and began digging alongside Tevan and Solaris. He had certainly never done this kind of manual labor before, but he could understand the symbolism of it.
Falarion only wished that the deaths could have been avoided altogether. Were it not for that demon having made its appearance, perhaps they could have talked with the Imperials and settled things a bit more diplomatically. Alas, things rarely went the way one hoped they would.

Pausing to lean on his shovel and glance over the newcomers and those who had survived last night, Falarion wondered who all had any connections with the dead. He knew some would hurt simply because people had died alongside them, but he also knew anyone with a connection would be hurting far more. He was well aware of how painful survivor's guilt could be.

Peering over at Stilf, Falarion finally found words again and said with a halfhearted grin, "I promise death does not normally follow us on our heels. Though, the same can't be said for Tamakai's magpies."

SilverFlight SilverFlight Monday Monday The Grand Fool The Grand Fool

Felix Valerius Sergius
Interacting with: SilverFlight SilverFlight The Grand Fool The Grand Fool Monday Monday Lioness075 Lioness075

Felix was not sure if he would have preferred a nightmare over the void of nothingness during his time asleep. It was as if he had been conscious over the hours that he had been asleep— overly aware of the static state he was in as his body rested while his brain continued to work. It left him to his own thoughts and only his own. There was no one to speak to in the space of his own mind. He wished for something else, and longed for a conversation partner he would never get. Felix tried not to think. The past day had given him nothing but a migraine and a crisis and he wanted to be well-rested for the next day.

He practically counted the hours until it was time to awaken. And like clockwork, his body rose with the coming of the sun. Like sir Tevan had said, his body felt like it hadn't been mangled from the day before. He looked over himself and only the damages on his armor remained. Felix let out a sigh. He needed to get a new set of armor at some point. Walking around with tattered defenses was unideal for someone like himself. Perhaps they would find a smith and a leatherworker to mend his armor in a town they would visit in the future. It was a hope.

There were others who had awoken before him. Felix wondered if he should be alert before deciding against it. He would have no chance against them anyway. Remembering his promised duty, he made his way out of the temple and found Sir Tevan along with the Lady Solaris and the unknown man. Another god was there though he could not remember him from the fight. None of the bodies had remained after that. Was that how gods died, he wondered to himself as he mechanically reached for one of the remaining shovels.

"Good morning." He greeted as he moved closer, taking his position close to Lady Solaris. It would seem that he was not the only one with an attachment to Lord Aetius. He didn't ask about it. There was no need to. As he began to dig alongside her, he turned towards Sir Tevan. "And, thank you for your aid once more. Had it not been for you, I would either be in bed rest for a week or dead." Felix wasn't sure which one was worse if he was being honest.

Stilf looked up from digging to a beautiful but emotionless looking lady.
Gods? I don't have an opinion on you. I grew up with the ancient stories. Then came the Empire to destroy my village. I served the Empire's gods in battle, but didn't find anything in them different than humanity except for their power.
He went back to digging. When another person... another god perhaps, came out looking forlorn, he sighed. He knew that there was a lot of bodies to be buried, but why? What happened?
"I promise death does not normally follow us on our heels. Though, the same can't be said for Tamakai's magpies."

I don't fear death. I have lived a long life. A long life of many horrid actions that don't leave, no matter how often you try to drown them out. I retired several years ago. I opened a tavern, made a new name for myself. But the memories started coming back. I've come on a journey, trying to find either peace or death. Although, magpies don't deserve death, those warm little rascals.

SilverFlight SilverFlight Lioness075 Lioness075 Monday Monday

Tamakai, God of Entertainment and Tricks

Tamakai woke up to the chattering call of the magpies that had begun waking up and starting to depart to forage. The golden sunlight had already painted the sky in horizon beyond the tree line. The minor god in his magpie skin leaped to a branch not far from the beam he had perched on the entire night.

Looking below, Tamakai noticed little movement. The others must haven't gotten up… Aside from Tevan who had already gone out to work on burying the bodies of the fallen imperial gods.

Tamakai hated labor work… The dirt, the soil… And especially since it was to bury the usurpers who he didn’t really have any attachment to. Still, the magpie god also hates the idea of letting his dear friends do all these works by themselves, without his assistance whatsoever… So Tamakai thought up something that wouldn’t require him to be stained by any dirt, yet still be productive for the task.

Flying off from the temple, Tamakai headed to a little place he knew. Not so far away, there was a meadow, surrounded by trees and rock formations. Tamakai landed in his human form. He smiled as he looked around, having found what he’s looking for.

Wild lilies of various coloration and forms grow and bloom here. There were those as white as wayward snow in the spring, bright orange ones that resemble the rising sun and golden ones that put even the finest ring to shame. Not many mortals know of this little place for it was hidden in a tight embrace of dense forest that seemed uninviting to enter when looking from the outside, also the fact that this place is often the hunting ground for wolves. However, for a god like Tamakai, it’s just his backyard…

Tamakai gathered a big bunch of lilies, bound them up into a bundle with some vines and then secured it on his back like a back pack. Quite content with his work, Tamakai walked back to the direction of the temple, whistling along the way.

Back at the temple, some other gods and mortals had awakened and came out to aid Tevan in giving the fallen gods burial. Tamakai had arrived but hid himself in a tree nearby, observing them having conversations.

Aside from Tevan who had been there before, there were Solaris, Falarion, Felix the imperial spearman and another new mortal Tamakai didn’t know was there last night.

"I promise death does not normally follow us on our heels. Though, the same can't be said for Tamakai's magpies." Said Falarion to the new mortal.

“The magpies go wherever they want…” Said Tamakai just before he leaped from the branch he perched on. The minor god landed near the group in the most remarkable posture one could imagine, with a smirk on his face. “…Unfortunately, they consider me such a charming individual to be around, so we will have to bear with their chatter for quite a bit.” Said Tamakai, standing up while brushing his silver hair with a hand.

“Good morning, my friends. I see that we already have the burial ceremony going on.” Tamakai spoke as he walked toward the group. He then took out the lily bundle from his back and handed it to Felix. “Please take these and place them on the grave, Spearman. I figured the imperial gods would probably like their burial not dull and plain…These wild lilies grow in a secret and undisturbed part of Divine Wood. Think of them as a parting gift bestowed by Averus.” Said the minor god. “Oh and don’t worry, there are no bees or wasps in there…”

“…Probably...”

With a lazy stretch, Tamakai turned to the new mortal. “I do not think I have met you, mortal. You must have arrived when I already went to my roost. Have you been drawn here like the others too?” Asked Tamakai curiously, cocking his head like a bird.

Lioness075 Lioness075 AI10100 AI10100 The Grand Fool The Grand Fool
SilverFlight SilverFlight Monday Monday

Nasrin finally woke up a good while after most everyone else. She looked outside the temple at the gathered gods and ancestors, her eyes moved to the bodies of the fallen and she felt her eyes begin to water. She was never good with death, even when it came to their animals. She knew it was a natural part of the cycle of life, but she couldn't help it. When she was just a baby her mother had taken her to watch as the family butchered one of the sheep. It was the first time she had ever cried as a baby, her mother had thought she was dying, she was inconsolable for hours. Her family had to stop eating meat in front of her for a while, as every time she saw it she began to tear up. She had gotten better over the years, but she could still never be there at the end, and didn't eat meat herself.

Those that had fallen were gods not ancestors. She knew some in her family would rejoice, but she couldn't. Many in her family would talk about the gods with disdain, Nasrin could never fully get behind it. Her grandmother would tell all the children about the the world. The two great energies that governed all things, Asha which was good and order and Druj which was evil and chaos. Good deeds promoted Asha in yourself and the world, and bad deeds promoted Druj in yourself and the world. The Ancestors and the Gods were a coagulation of those energies that had become so strong they would take their own form. Some in her family believed that all Ancestors were from Asha and all Gods were from Druj, but Nasrin had never agreed and her grandmother had never stated one way or another. I mean just look at their own family's Tushar, he was a God, as much as he talked about how Nasrin annoyed him he had never hurt her and even helped her on more than one occasion. She didn't personally know the Gods that had passed but even the chance that they were being of Asha filled her with immense sadness.
Note: Nasrin's beliefs are probably not Canon just what she and her family believes.

Seeing the flowers that Ancestor Tamakai had brought gave her an idea. She snuck out of the temple and into the nearby woods, it took her a while but she managed to find the plants she was looking for. Aloe, grief the loss of anyone was a tragedy; Basil, good wishes for whatever came next; Pink Carnation, I'll never forget you even if they were gone she would remember their stories and share them with all she could; Dark Crimson Rose, mourning for who they were and who they would never be able to be now; And finally Cyclamen goodbye. Nasrin desperately wiped the tears out of her eyes as she went about her careful work. She carefully took the plants out by their roots being careful to not damage them. By the time she came back to the clearing everyone else had finally finished burying the bodies. While sniffling she carefully plants the plants onto each grave. She stepped back, crossed her hands in prayer, and closed her eyes. She concentrated her power on the new plants, to help them take root in their new home, to help them grow and bloom.

"I did not know those we lost myself. Of course I had heard their stories, of their deeds and actions. But I had never met them in person. I did not know of their hopes and dreams, of their favorite food or what made them smile on a bad day, and now I may never know. They will never again be given the chance to make another smile, or to make up to those they may of hurt. I am filled with a deep feeling of sadness, as if someone has hallowed out something inside of me. Yet I was not someone who relied on them, someone who shared memories good and bad, I can not even imagine your pain. I grieve for their loss but I also grieve for you. I grieve for the sadness you must feel, I grieve for the memories that you never got the chance to make. But as I grieve I must also celebrate, for all the lives they have touched, and all the good they have done. Even if it was just a single smile they caused, or a single person they helped to stand up once again. Life is a wonderful gift. Let us remember the joy of their life instead of the loss of their death. Let the memories become a precious treasure you can look back on and smile. Share their stories, their hopes, their dreams, how they would look at a rainy day, or the sunrise. For every time you do, a part of them continues to live on, in you and me and everyone." Nasrin forced a large smile onto her face even as she could finally stop her tears no longer. "If we can not celebrate with them here, then let us celebrate every time we remember them."

Rufia Dolabellae
As she looked at the freshly dug and covered graves, Rufia felt a strange sense of emptiness. Last night, she could barely sleep and had troubled getting up, feeling heavy, with no desire to move. It was a miracle her eyes weren't all swollen and red after all the silent tears she shed. Despite not having cried for many years, she guessed that doing it almost every night when she first arrived at the temple had been good training.
She had followed soon after the mysterious man, and upon seeing the shovel nodded at the old tyra–god, he was a god. Old habits die hard but she would have to try. How ironic she thought. Being saved not only by the tyrants her beloved gods were suppose to have slain but them being attacked, killed and betrayed by their supreme god.
Rufia then picked up one and began digging wordlessly, only acknowledging new arrival with a curt nod.

Nasrin and Sir Tamakai putting flowers on the graves made the corner of her lips rise up a little, her expression softening, her gaze grateful but cast downward. Nasrin words touched her when she was done, Rufia swallowing the lump in her throat, she closed her eyes and let out a deep sigh. When she opened them her expression had shifted. Emper-Gods be thanked she always had small offerings for the death.
Kneeling at each of her gods graves, Rufia lay them before gesturing to the sky and the earth, reciting the eulogy reserved for heroes and canonized holy figures.

After giving them at least the minimum and proper funeral rites, Rufia rose to her feet and quietly went to prepare Epona.

Aluma, Goddess of Autumn

A distinct, human-sounding whimper echoed from around the side of the temple. Aluma had emerged to mourn more openly during the impromptu burial and funeral. The once vibrant hues she donned had dulled to a series of dolorous browns. Between each distraught sniffle, she delivered a heartfelt lament.

“Ælfweard… He was a brother to me… I did not want this to happen, regardless of how bitterly we fought towards the end. I am alone now… the last of my kin, all because we were deceived and coerced into fighting.

“At this moment, I have no wisdom to offer—nothing that could dull the pain of our losses here… and so I can only ask for a shovel, so that I may help you and honor our fallen brethren.”

Aluma assisted in the burial. Her hand reached into her cornucopia as the divine bodies were lowered into the holes. The autumn goddess’s parting gift was a hail of grapes, plucked from their shared stem and scattered among the victims’ graves before the final scoops of soil were replaced. She prayed under her breath, wishing they would nourish new life that would, in turn, perpetuate the natural cycle.

“Thank you for officiating this funeral, priestess,” Aluma called after calming herself over the past few minutes. She had decided to follow loosely behind Rufia as the others dispersed in preparation for the coming trek. “I would have been hesitant to think us friends, but disaster has a way of uniting unlikely companions, so I offer you a belated welcome to this eclectic gathering.”

Arnalia Arnalia

OIP.jpg
Stilf Helddleorm
Stilf stood still as he watched the bodies being buried. He remembered an old song that his grandmother once sang. He slowly started to sing.

The west wind carries
your soul to eternal rest

On the many spirited ferries,
on our behest.
We may journey on
but you will not be forgotten
of the lives bygone
of your deeds begotten
by bravery
by might
by faith
by blood

The east wind whispers
of your tale
of your death bitter
may your life many regale
as we travel on
you will not be forgotten
of your lives bygone
of your fate begotten
by love
by joy
by kinship
by brotherhood

The north wind screams
the loss inside our souls
you will be in our dreams
but your death left in us holes
as we travel on
you will not be forgotten
even if our lives are bygone
our deaths begotten
by sorrow
by pain
by treachery
by regret

the south wind dries our tears
we shall recall
as our doubt disappears
the stories we have all
you are not forgotten
our tears are bygone
our memories are begotten
by smiles
by joy
by peace
by the simple breeze

He closed his eyes, the memories of those he buried drifting by on the southern breeze.

Solaris

Lending half an ear to the voices around her, Solaris dug silently, wrapped in her own thoughts... thoughts of the newcomers, and the burdens they brought with them; thoughts of the past, of things left undone or unsaid. Stilf's perspective intrigued her, shaped as it was by both the old Averus and the new, and lacking a reason to revere either. She hoped he would find the atonement he sought according to his own conscience. To aid such souls was her duty, yet she could not now direct his path, for her pronouncements meant but little apart from the foundation of law.

Then there was Felix, working quietly at her side. An odd pair, they were, united by one life which had bound theirs by such different ties, in such different times. What had he been like, as a lord over men? How had Ælfweard used his ill-gotten power? To earn the loyalty of such a one, she thought, he must have retained some wisdom. Perhaps, sometime, she might ask Felix how he had ruled... but not now.

Tamakai's and Nasrin's gifts lent their impoverished ceremony some appropriate dignity. Ah, Nasrin... such a compassionate child, to shed tears for the departed she had never known, and for those strangers who had known them! Truly she and Tevan were alike. Solaris, whose mind was ever filled with tasks and duties, had hardly shed a tear in her long years. A sword of justice had no need of them. Even so, scenes such as this produced a hollow ache in her chest. These were sentiments she could not understand, in which she could not take part.

It was better not to dwell on it... nor on other things she could not change. No more could be done for Ælfweard. That fate she did not fear for the living, for all had chosen their sides in the intervening century. No, what she feared now was the poison of wrath, to which even she was not immune. Reive had already succumbed. Tamakai harbored a deep anger, as did Siuhaydis... for good reason, but the best reasons made the strongest poison. It was not the Wind Goddess' way to dwell in the past, but though the Master of Magpies was not typically of a vengeful character, he had always been easily caught up in emotion. Perhaps her fears were groundless, but it would not do to be lax. She would keep an eye on them both.

The priestess followed Nasrin's words with proper funeral rites. Aluma, deeply distraught, spoke of her kinship with the wind spirit before lending her own parting gifts. She had, perhaps, the most reason to mourn of any of them. Solaris felt a pang of guilt for having been caught up in her own failures. If only she knew what comfort to offer in such times! "Thank you, priestess," she said, when the maiden finished her intonations. Stilf's poignant dirge filled the silence once graves were complete. She hung back and listened, feeling, more keenly than ever, her distance from mortal passions.

All had offered something more than a shovelful of earth. She, too, would offer what she had. When the song was finished, she raised her hands over the burial mounds and spoke an ancient invocation. "Go now to thy eternal rest. May all promises unkept, debts unpaid, and words unspoken be forgiven thee, in such measure as death answers all. Be thou reconciled to thy end and repentant of thy wrongs, and may the Judge at the doors of death show thee mercy. Be at peace."

Then she turned to help the others prepare for the journey, leaving the dead behind her.

Tevan stopped his work at the sound of the first voice. He turned, a knowing smile his reaction to being called "youngin".
He pointed to one of the spare tools by the first grave.
"I would be grateful. It is good to see you have recovered, friend."
Solaris came then, and gave his identity away. He accepted his name with a graceful nod.

As the others woke and began to help, Tevan kept an eye on the humans, seeing the magic of some last night, he couldn't help but wonder if they all had some sort of skill with it.
Felix thanked him for his aid and the deer god smiled.
"It pleases me to see you are doing better! Is the pain completely gone?"

Tevan enjoyed listening to the idle banter of the others as he worked. Slowly but surely, the graves were finished.
Tamakai returned then, his back laden with fresh flowers. Tevan's face lit up with joy.
"Oh Tamakai! Those are beautiful!" Tevan helped place the flowers, keeping his tone and mood quiet and respectful as he let those grieve who needed to.

Nasrin came with more plants, a language he spoke well and the look he gave her when their eyes met was one of glowing approval.

"I...do not know what happens to a god when they die." Tevan added in his turn. "Perhaps, they rejoin the place from which all spirits are born. Perhaps they live on, in a way, held in the memories of those who knew them. I only knew some of them, and then, only as enemies. The deeds done go far beyond the souls of those who were here, but in the last moments, we were not enemies. I saw only allies, and I fought beside them. This is the memory I shall keep."

When the rites had been read, all words shared, songs sung and farewells said, Tevan focused his power. The flowers that had been arranged so carefully began to grow. The lilies took root and sprung up from the graves, the basil, carnation, rose and cyclamen intertwined, their blooms doubling and reaching towards a glowing sun, dew still sparkling on delicate petals.

*~*~*

The journey South was somber for the first few days, Tevan felt at least. The pain of loss hung heavily on some, and grief needed its space. But here and there Tevan tried his best to bring a smile or two to the faces he now walked with. He told stories, teased Tamakai with affection, and wove flower crowns, sneaking them onto heads when one was least suspecting.

At length they came to the town he sought, not three days from the edge of the Divine Wood. The pull for him had all but vanished, whatever was drawing him, he was in its presence now.
Before they left, Tevan had used his stag form to sprint to the temple of water, only to find the statue broken, as his had been, but no sign of the water deity anywhere, yet there was a trail, faint, but there. Their sibling too had gone South, ahead of them.

"Sun may help us." Tevan told the party as they crested a small, grassy hill. "She is the goddess of the city we will stop by." He had taken his human form again that morning and encouraged the other old gods to hide their divinity until they knew the temper of the people there.
Tevan stopped on the edge of a steep cliff at the edge of a vast lake.
"Strange, I don't remember a lake being here." It was only then he noticed the heads of two great stone figures at the head of the lake, and then he understood.
It wasn't a lake at all. The empire had built a dam.

He skirted the edge of the reservoir and led the way to the edge of the plateau. The land fell away steeply, and across a deep ravine, nestled on the slope of the plateau, was the ruins of a great stone city.
"Sungai..." Tevan whispered.

One hundred years ago, Dahati'sungai was a bustling town: Tall stone homes and winding cobbled streets. The city was built onto the side of the great plateau, and grew around the river that flowed down the slope. Water was a part of their everyday life, and water lived in their city with them, in the quiet ponds of serene parks, or babbling canals and waterways, turning wheels for their mills and shops. The great river was celebrated, because long before then, a goddess was born there. She came out of the river, and her name was Sungai, so the town was named in the local tongue: “Dahati'sungai”, The Home of Sungai. When the war came, the emperor built a great dam, and the water stopped flowing.

The town ceased to be a bustling haven of trade and craft, and shrank to a modest village. The goddess stayed with her town, and her people. She knew she could not fight the emperor, so, she submitted to their rule to protect her followers. She allowed her temple to be claimed by the empire, and their doctrine taught within its walls, yet still her people held reverence for her. The old town now lay in disrepair, great stone houses crumbling. The stone masons that kept it had long vanished, but Tevan could clearly see the signs of human life among the stone: wooden houses evened on stilts against the sleep hillside, their roofs sloped along the spines and slanted front and back.

The panels were varnished wood and between them hung vast swaths of vibrant fabrics. With the little water that trickled from the dammed river, they had built a dyeworks, what were once leisure ponds and canals served as colour pools and a water-based delivery system that carried the fabrics down the slope as they were dyed. Beyond the town, Tevan could see rice paddies staggered further down the plateau, reflecting the blue of the sky in their water. Where there was no rice, small herds of sheep and goats dotted the emerald green.

South Asian house style.jpg

The worried look on Tevan's face told his companions that he worried if Sun was even still there.
"Let us...go and investigate."

The town, once they arrived was certainly not deserted. Tevan could see that all the inhabitants wore beautiful, bright clothing, dyed likely right there in the town. He also saw some women that looked like priestesses, and something about them reminded him of one in their party.
He glanced at Rufia.

There was little attention paid to them as they entered, a cursory nod, or a pleasant smile saved for strangers to the town. For now, it seemed, they were not recognized.
"What should we do first?" Tevan asked his friends.

Monday Monday Lekiel Lekiel myk9ma myk9ma Headphones Headphones Worthlessplebian Worthlessplebian Lioness075 Lioness075 Goonfire Goonfire AncientBird AncientBird The Grand Fool The Grand Fool Arnalia Arnalia AI10100 AI10100 Xenobiology Xenobiology

Felix Valerius Sergius
Interacting with: SilverFlight SilverFlight

Felix nodded, pausing from digging to stretch his arm. "Recovered fully, yes." Once he responded, he slowly went back to his duties. Everyone had soon come together, to help or to simply speak with one another, and he reveled in his own silence and isolation. He watched as the others paid their respects despite their own feelings regarding the Imperial Gods— and how Rufia had officiated the funeral rites. She and Svakre remained to be the only two anchors he had to this group. He turned to the other gods. Perhaps that wouldn't stay for long.

When everyone had left to prepare for their trip, Felix stayed, sending his own silent prayers to the fallen gods. This would not be the last time that he would carry Aetius's banner— this separation was only temporary. And for one, Lord Athlios's followers will lose their way without their god. He wondered if they ever try to mitigate the effects of that. They had already been off-kilter— but if they were to believe that it was the Emperor who had brought upon the demise of their god, would they turn their insane raves and attacks towards the Empire?

He dispelled the thought as soon as it entered his mind. He would only report the truth and it would be entirely up to them what they would do.

---
Kalos, thankfully, was as unharmed as he had left the horse. His horse had been grazing closeby with Rufia's own horse, loyally sticking by their owners without a second thought. Felix had personally trained Kalos, practically grew up with the horse, and he shouldn't have been so surprised that it wouldn't abandon him so easily.

"If any of you want a ride, feel free to ask."

Felix offered to the others. He was uncertain if gods truly got tired from simply walking but the Imperials gods also had their own horses. Still, there were also other humans in their group and he thought it would be for the best if they conserved as much energy as they could. When he could, Felix would train both in his martial prowess and more openly about this new... air power. The only training he could squeeze through with it when he had first discovered it was during the rare times when he could be alone. It had been enough to keep himself alive back then but he needed it to be better. If they were going to face the Emperor, he imagined he should be able to do more than just stabbing things with a sword and a spear.

During the trip, Felix wondered if wearing his Imperial gear would be beneficial to them or not. Anyone would be able to recognize his armor even if they weren't familiar with his particular squadron. Would it allow them a better chance in the Empire and not draw too much suspicion on them? Ah, but then again, they were traveling with Lord Svakre.

... Would the Emperor catch word of this?

Dahati'sungai was in sight in a few days. Felix had been to this town only once before and it was to pick up Rufia for their mission. He dismounted his horse as they moved into the town— Tevan had made comments about his memory of the town. A lot of things could change in the years that the Old Gods were asleep. They were here on a mission, to find another goddess.

"You are searching for the Goddess, yes? Asking around with the priestesses should get you answers. And luckily, we do have someone who can ask without arousing suspicion." Felix claimed. "Though, I do need to find if there's a smithy here. I need to fix my armor." Besides, he doubted such a large group would seem friendly when they start asking around. It was a relatively small town. They could likely get together without much trouble.

ROSEN.png

"Your Excellency, the town of Duhati' sungai is within sight. What does his lordship wish to do first upon arrival?
"Sapindacey, do my feet smell of roses to you?"
"T-T-The lord's feet are the finest of all the men this servant has laid eyes and nostrils upon! Truly! A sculpture would not be enough to convey their essence!"
". . . I'll try to forget what you just said. For my own sake."
"B-But this servant is speaking from the heart, my lo-"
"For the love of the Goddess, just get us to the inn so I can get off this thing!"

Such were the words exchanged between two men, one noble and one official, as they sat across each other in a small moving carriage in the heart of the Southern territories of the Averian Empire. Setting out to find a cure for the mentioned lord's ailment, their journey had taken them from the gentle waves that caressed the shoreline of the grand western city of Bakhtris, through the labyrinth of waterways of the plentiful Gulli Plains, across the great Ardra river and into the wilds of the South. This unfamiliar land was quite dissimilar to their own. Most roads were mere shallow engravings upon the dry earth, their sides swelling with thorny bushes and tall grasses. The odd sighting of a large stone betrayed that they were once demarcated, at the very least. On the topic of markings, the indications regarding the direction to this or that destination for the weary traveler were scant to the point of absurdity. Those that existed were either eaten away by the hungry maw of time or akin to a riddle. Had it not been for the past experience of those in the group, the lord from the West would not have seen the first houses of Duhati' sungai as he gazed out from underneath the blue curtain of his carriage.

Surveying the surrounding area, he could tell that this town would be no different than those he had visited in the region. From a distance, it was visibly separated into two parts by a river or, as it should more accurately be described, a remnant of a river that now flowed as a stream within a much larger riverbed. On its left was a plateau with steep rocky sides, from which stemmed a tall wall of grey stone that halted at the former riverbank. This man-made structure had no signs of having been maintained in recent times, much less being patrolled or used to keep watch. Instead, it had become the home of a flock of sparrows that chirped incessantly as they built their nests. To the right, where they traversed a wide yet empty path, a number of houses were dark and misshapen, some bearing a large hole in the middle of their roofs or ivy crawling up their facades. This, combined with the absence of people at work in the fields, were enough to convey that the age of growth and prosperity had long left this desolate place.

"Uhhh, another sinkhole for the dead and the deranged." the lord sighed as he squinted his eyes in scrutiny.

What met the travelling party, comprised of one horse carriage, five people on horseback and one additional horse, was a triangular clearing where the path flowed into its pointy tip. On each side was an outpost built of solid thick stones, the once rigorously sculpted shapes of which cradled little tufts of green grass. It was there that they stopped and made their identities known to the man at the right post. The one on the left no longer harbored a stationed guard, in spite of the fact that of the two main roads that stemmed from this entrance, it was the left one that lead directly to the town hall. The two grizzled locals on duty welcomed the group warmly and offered a detailed description of the main road to the right that they would have to follow, in order to reach the only working inn in town. Had they come earlier, 30 years give-or-take, their troubles would have been solved immediately by the enormous building that spread across the base line of the triangular clearing. Built more than 100 years ago, it was once a place of joviality and hospitality, where travelers from near and far would rest their tired bones, grab a drink, play some games or even sell or bet their wares. Alas, the bustling of carts and dust clouds under many a feet were now a dim memory, for now the walls were cracked, the chimney fallen and some of the doors and windows had vanished, no doubt by mortal hands.

Leaving the two men at the post, of which one set out to inform the administration and priesthood of their guests' arrival, the party followed the aforementioned guidance by taking the road to the right. It was a line straighter than the upright tail of a cat and cut finely through the town, ending with yet another outpost , which remained out of sight for the time being. Commoners finally came into their field of vision as they visited the forge located on the left side of the road, not too far from the town's entrance. These people seemed to know not of separation between pedestrian and wheeled paths and walked however they pleased, not even looking twice before crossing the road diagonally, even glancing back at their companions with a smile. Fortunately, none were harmed by the carriage's passing, as its speed was slow to allow the horses to steadily decrease their pace before their eventual halt. Rather, they would stare and offer looks of child-like curiosity for their guests were unlike what most had seen.

The group was comprised only of men, with the five on horseback and the driver all wearing robes of beige or green and adorning woven bamboo hats with a tall cylindrical shape, wide brim and blue straps tied under their chins. The carriage itself appeared as a large box of dark varnished wood with a black roof akin to a low wave that protruded a short distance from the walls. There were a total of five glassless windows - one at the back and one on each side of the doors - that had an intricate weaving cage structure and a light blue curtain on the inside. Blue accents also existed in the forms of charms in text inscribed onto the four wheels and as tassels, one hanging on each of the four corners of the roof. It had been many years since such a carriage had entered Duhati' sungai, for it was one that those a bit better off could afford in the southwestern region of the Empire, Gulli Plains, yet certainly neither valuable, nor extravagant enough to suggest the status of the lord who currently resided within. After all, this journey was a private matter. In order to avoid word spreading of his sudden non-lethal illness, a low profile was much advisable. Advisable, yet not entirely feasible, as it had and would once more become perfectly clear.

"Such a waste of material. They'd be better off if they just salvage those houses and put it all to good use."
"Wise words as always, my lord!"
"That's not wisdom, Sapindacey. It's common sense."

What he was referring to were the lonely houses he saw as he gazed through the right back window. That corner of the town which bordered the main road was likely where the deepest shadows grew their roots, the exception being the colourfully painted tavern, where even now a gaggle of people could be heard as the carriage passed by.

Several houses down the road, they proceeded through a crossroad and entered a starkly contrasting neighborhood. There the houses were kept prim and proper, lines of brightly dyed fabrics gently swaying between their curving crescent roofs. Members of the local priesthood could be spotted walking with smiles among the common folk here. If one took a left turn at the aforementioned crossroad, the town hall would soon be in sight and in front of it would be the main bridge across the river, on the other side of which was the straight path that lead to the temple etched within the plateau. Several wheel turns further and they reached another crossroad, where they finally came to a halt at the upper right corner. There stood the Inn of News and Nights, the only official establishment for lodging in Duhati' sungai still in business, yet not the only place one could spend the night.

"My lord, we've reached the inn. Shall we-"
"Finally!" the lord swung the door of the carriage open "Everybody dismount. We don't have all day."

Albeit not capable of placing a name to the face, any local on the street could tell that the one to exit the carriage first without a doubt had both wealth and class. A young man in his mid-twenties adorned with a dark blue robe leapt out of the carriage like a tiger springing free from a cage. The belt around his waist had a central red gem flanked with two blue stones and matched well with the red cuffs of the robe, which were decorated with magpies and small white ornaments. Perhaps what was most eye catching, however, was his long dark brown hair that swayed gently as he moved and the sharp blue-green eyes that walked over every single detail of the scenery before him. Though his features may be fine and skin unlike that of someone with prolonged exposure to the sun, his voice rang loud and clear, making no word go unheard by those in the vicinity.

"Marko, to the stalls with the carriage. Sookwon and Wonchol, take the horses and go as well. Once you're done, Wonchol, bring back my green remedy bag from my horse. The other two, stay there. If anyone has any ideas, be creative about it. Yonsok, go to the kitchen and get boiling water and a set for six people. And make sure they pour boiling water over the cups. Who knows what plague-ridden mouth kissed them. And no "on the house" extras. Hot water. Only. Dancho, find the innkeeper. Spare the chit-chat. Get the details, the bare minimum. Who is here now and has been in the last week, number and type of of rooms, work, hours, staff, bath. Price will be negotiated. Either they have what I want or I'm sleeping in the fields. Lets see how they can manage that scandal. And move on it! Or do you want this headache of mine to get worse?"

'Certainly, he's the Lord of Samtoshi, alright. Oh, Gods, why did I have to agree to accompany such a dangerous person?! My peaceful slow days at the office where nothing happened are all but a fond memory now!' the official, Sapindus Sapindacey, thought as he stepped out of the carriage. Wearing a simple black robe and a black wide-brimmed cylindrical hat, he could only sigh as he observed the guards, with the exception of one, move nimbly in accord with their lord's wishes. They were all being paid, of course, yet who would have thought that a meager stroll to the southern territories could still be tiresome work? 'Aaaah, blessed be The Lady Mastani! Thank you, my lady, for packing lord Rosen Tonuimun's luggage light and giving him a simpler carriage! He has already grown tired and irritated! Soon, yes, soon we shall leave this wretched land and head back! Aaaah, my wife, how I miss you! Surely, the lord's condition will get worse, if this goes on! He reported feeling better today. Surely, this means it is all coming to pass and we can all just go home!!!'

Sun Wukong.png
Name: FalarionMinor God: Light
Affiliation: Old godFavorite Offering: Anything cat-related

Falarion was rather somber while they concluded burying and tending to the dead. It was unusual for him to be quiet, but even someone as loud and obnoxious as him knew when to be respectful. There were plenty of times for jokes and laughter, but death was never the time.

When Tamakai made his appearance, Falarion smirked and then rolled his eyes, grateful for the normal banter. Having some sense of normalcy in these situations always helped.

~~~~~~~~~~

As they continued their journey South, Falarion did his best to shake off his feeling of guilt from the fight at the temple. He instead focused on pranking and teasing Tamakai, mostly his magpies to be fair. It felt forced initially, but it soon became second nature as it had always been for him. Just like he always did, he managed to bury the feelings he did not know how to process and was back to being his normal self. He had others to care for, which meant he could not be moping around forever!

As they neared their destination, Falarion groaned when Tevan told them to hide their divinity. His usual appearance was just his human form with a lion's tail, but even the tail would give him away. So, here he was looking like a boring human instead. No offense to humans, but like...no tail, really?
Falarion's thoughts were interrupted when Tevan mentioned a lake. Rubbing the back of his neck, Falarion began to realize with a sinking feeling just how much the old gods had missed during their...hibernation. His suspicions were confirmed as they continued onwards and Tevan took in the sight of Sungai. It had devastated Falarion when he had seen them first building the dam. It was not within his jurisdiction to be able to do anything about it, though, so all he could do was watch it be built and ruin the lives in Sungai.

As they ventured further into the village, Falarion's eyes roved all over, curiously taking in the architecture and style of clothing here. It had always fascinated him how much such things differed between villages and bigger civilizations.
Tevan asked the group what they should do first and Falarion folded his arms behind his head, idly wondering if there was some sort of inn nearby. Surely the humans needed somewhere to adequately rest and also eat?

Clearing his throat, Falarion spoke up from the back of the group, "Might not be a bad idea to find an inn or tavern, or whatever it's called these days." He said this flippantly, waving one of his hands before moving it back behind his head again with a shrug. "I'd imagine some of us would prefer to sleep in actual beds and eat actual food at some point." Grinning now, Falarion glanced around their group, expecting the humans to agree with him.

SilverFlight SilverFlight Monday Monday Lekiel Lekiel myk9ma myk9ma Headphones Headphones Worthlessplebian Worthlessplebian Goonfire Goonfire AncientBird AncientBird The Grand Fool The Grand Fool Arnalia Arnalia AI10100 AI10100 Xenobiology Xenobiology

Users who are viewing this thread

Back