• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Mountain Magic Mayhem (Luc/Sazz)

That was a certain sound of victory for Erro. He wanted to see the reanimation in person, hasting even past the dragonborn to see for himself. There Diger was, still adjusting to breathing with his irregular shivers, his restored forms, the low hums deep down from his relaxing throat. "Holy..." The historian wiped his mouth.

Up from behind came lastly Lier. After a few flashes toward the tent, in for it, then for Diger, he took a deep breath to face the awakening. "Nothing a Celestial can't do, now that I can see."

"He's not fully awake," Vine said. "I mean he's not fully alive. She said he wasn't a zombie though, either. Got partial living attributes to him." Despite this, Iso was up beside the awakened, inching his fingers for the shoulder.

"Got enough life in 'em it seems," Erro said. How are we going to explain this to the Chief? He's going to want to pursue Aela if we told him about her.

"Your friend's what we call a Borai," Milly announced from the entrance of the tent. She observed the young man with a curious look, orange eyes taking in his every detail. "They're a particularly rare type of entity that just straddle the line between the living and undead. Only reason they do that is cause, unlike the actual undead, they've got some of their soul left in 'em. Makes them actually alive, not that horrible imitation the others possess."

Aela nodded. "Spot on," she agreed. "I was able to recover enough of him to make the process a bit more pleasant. But there's still a large portion residing wherever the souls of this world go." Her attention shifted to Diger. "But make no mistake, despite the looks, this is your friend. Hey, sir Diger. Can you hear me?"

"A Borai?" Vine said. "So a little better than a zombie, 'uh?"

Diger seemed to be awake, but his eyes were closed and rolling within his lids as he took in more deeper breaths. He still said nothing. Iso touched his shoulder to comfort him, noticing how chilled he was. The Borai's face seemed to tense at the words.

"So..." Lier said. "Is he going to have any issues with his memory at all?"

"Should be a little fuzzy for a few minutes, but that's just fog from the transition." Aela grunted, standing up and retrieving her sword from the dirt floor. "Give it a half hour at most, he'll be good as new. Mostly."

Milly rolled her eyes at the bluntness of the comment, deciding to point out the details. "She means it'll take him a little bit to get everything sorted out. From what I've read, resurrection isn't an easy experience, even when done with modern methods. His mind's a little jumbled. Stick with him, try to stimulate his memory if you can. Just keep him comfy and he'll be fine."

"Hmm." All of Diger's knowledge could had been gone in a matter of moments to Lier. Then, he remembered about his bag, the one he dropped at his fall. Not like there was anything super important in there, but his growing thirst sure did had his abandoned canteen on his mind. And then he remembered Diger's log. "You still have it, right?" Iso didn't respond instantly, for the lad was deep into the resurrected soul before him. "Iso," Lier said.

"H-Huh?"

"You still have the log, right? Might be able to help with his memories."

"Yes, I-I still have it." And his eyes were back to Diger, imagining all the opportunities they could go for with their second chance. Through that pale body were now relaxed breaths, easing to the familiar voices around, that touching reminder of a watcher far away he could had been aware of.

"Aye, aye," Vine saluted. "Again, thank you for doing this, Aela. Knew we couldn't do it ourselves for sure." Erro seemed to know this, too. For the first time, he felt as though he could indeed believe in miracles. But, to him of course, there's always the counterarguments, too: Why don't they revive the dead all the time?; Why does death exist at all in the first place if it can be prevented?; Why are some mortals made into immortals? -- all such questions among many.

"Oh Diger..." Iso said. "If you can hear me..."

"He can hear you," Milly started, then closed her mouth. She examined Diger for a moment, then looked to Aela. "He can hear them, right? You fixed everything?" she asked.

The Archon stifled an indigent snort. "No, I decided to leave his ears out just so he could go through life with some humility." She rolled her eyes. "Yes, he can hear them."

Milly stuck her tongue out and blew a raspberry. Her attention then turned to the others, who she decide to join by walking over beside the recently deceased. Crouching down, she kept a few feet away, but was close enough to monitor him. "Not much of a talker, is he?" she joked, looking to Iso from the corner of her eye.

"Har, har," Erro huffed. "He'll be humble not speaking like that."

"H-He does talk -- a lot," Iso said. "It's just... maybe he's a little shocked. No, he's probably tr-trying to compute something, hmhm." He knew Diger. Unlike others who wake with worry, Diger wakes with analysis, according to his admirer. "He'll probably shoot up, too. H-Have to give him s-some space." Yet he stayed close, resting his hand upon Diger.

Lier was more concerned about what Diger knew about the Blood Aura. He would give him some time before explaining, but it would have to be known at some point -- or made known to the others. Vine was prepared to ask Diger his adventures in the underworld, if there was one, stooping afar in wait of his raise.

Not long after a sniff, the awakened confirmed his state, those pale mint orbs shining with the unveiling of the lids above. "Mmghn...?" He said.

"D-D-D--!" Iso didn't give him space as suggested. In fact, he went right in his face, feeling about it, even if Diger may not have understood why the intimacy was so abrupt. "Diger! Can you hear me?" Behind him the other beholding three gathered closer.

"Well he's talking," Milly observed, rubbing her chin in thought. She leaned over to try and glimpse his expression without much success, thanks to Iso all but eating his face. Her other hand fell into her coat, feeling for the tiny kit she kept in the inner pockets. Most people had bags of holding, she had a jacket. Withdrawing a plastic case, she popped it open and produced a small roll of paper. "Here," she offered, all but throwing the packet at the two. "Break this under his nose. It's a smelling salt, might jolt him awake. If not, I'd be more than happy to act like a cat for a little bit. These claws could use some scratching action, y'know?" she joked.

"Claws" was enough for Iso to loosen his grip. "C-Claws?!"

"She was joking," Vine said. "Here, I'll give it to 'em." He took the smelling salt and brushed it under the awakened's nose. Up he went. "Whoa!" Vine stepped back with the others save Iso, who instead returned a hug to Diger.

"O-O-Oh! D-Diger, I... You're alive!"

"Huh, that really worked."

"You thought it wouldn't?" Lier chuckled. "Gotta believe the Scales." But then he remembered Aela's grudge. "Well, most times, haha."

Everything was a blur, surreal initially to a logical person like the mathematician. First, there was the dragon. Second, there was a lot of blood. Third, there was Lier's fire spell, the agony spreading his entire body. Fourth, there was the cliff. Fifth, there was darkness. Darkness. Something had to be there in between. There were those people like Lier in this apparent dream. Wait, he, Iso, was one of them, the one hogging the space from his face. But, he, Diger, had a difficult time putting it all into words. That intensified sense was too strong for him, urging the nearest escape. Smelled like salt.

"H-He's really alive..." Iso hugged tighter.

Unable to help herself, Milly found herself smiling wide enough to make her cheeks hurt. "Well, would you look at that," she said. "Back in the world of the living at last. Make sure he stays away from dragons this time, okay?" she repeated with a laugh. "Don't think I can count on Aela not to kick my ass if I have to have her do this again."

"Damn right."

"Oh yeah, we'll make sure of that," Vine said. "Sorry for burdening you, Miss Archon." Despite his disbelief, Vine was glad to see Diger and Iso reunited, to see that miracles could definitely happened. If it weren't for Liernoine falling off the cliff, he and his group probably would not had met Milianor the way they did. And this would not had happened.

A few blinks and the Borais was realizing his situation. He sniffed the must of Iso's embrace, missing that salty fragrance he first awoke to. "Where are we?"

"Hmm?" Iso raised his head. "Oh, Diger, it's a long st-story. We're out in the w-wilderness here in the mountains." To that, he watched his lover scan about the scene, stopping on the unfamiliar faces. "O-Oh, that's Milianor and Aela. They helped us get you back to life."

Diger sure didn't question the condition he used to be in, deducing the possibility of death. "Thank you," he nodded to the two. "All of you."

"... Glad you're alive," Erro still couldn't fathom the ressurrection.

"Thought we lost you," Lier said. "You remember everything?"

"I want to remember some other experiences, but for some reason I can't."

"Just give it some time," Vine said. "It'll come back to you."

"You had a bit of a trip from one world to the next," Milly explained to the newly risen Diger, settling down into a cross-legged position on the ground. She shifted her coat and crossed her arms over her chest. "Your memory's going to be a little foggy for the next day or two. Most long term stuff should be back by the end of the night, short term might be longer. Varies from person to person, right?" She looked to the Archon, who nodded, confirming her theory.

"The process affects the soul in various ways, we can't be sure until some time has passed," she remarked, "but everything should be in order. I performed the basic ritual we were taught when we joined the Legion's ranks, Revivification of Saint Olnier. It's meant to bring back slain faithful so they can do whatever they needed to do before biting the dust."

"Mmm, so you're saying this is temporary, then?" Lier leaned against a tree, and then he replied to Erro's blatant "no." "Well, I was thinking it was. Didn't you just say it was for whatever a faithful needed to take care of before 'biting the dust?'"

Chillbumps exchanged between the lad and his cold love. The campfire helped a bit. But still the open summer wilderness was unable to bring the warmth Iso expected from a body, a phenomenon never seen except for those coming out of a cold avalanche, frostbitten. "Y-You're cold," the lad said. "Should wrap you up."

Since Diger had a difficult time remembering his short-term memory, his memories of Iso were only a light reminder of his profession. "Where's your parents?" he said. And then he remembered they were in the wilderness, of course they weren't near. "Never m--."

"Back in Huujar. It's okay. Might b-be confused a bit, like she said. Hmhm. Just give it some time."

"Sounds like the rituals have ranks, too, right?" Vine said. "The more demands, the more sacrifice. If you revive the faithful, can you revive the unfaithful?"

"No need for the philosophy," Lier said. "Hopefully we won't have to burden you any more, Aela -- seriously. You've done so much for us when you really didn't have to."

"Um, yeah." Vine scratched behind his head, a signal he disagreed; he wanted more from their power. Milly's failed ritual was still at the back of his mind, too. Oh, and how she summoned Aela, too. So. Much. Power.

"There's certain types of ritual that can only summon those aligned with a particular faith," Aela said as she shifted her weight from one foot to another. The lines on her face and body now flowed smoothly across her ivory skin. "This one in particular? Not so much. It's just got a fancy name because of theatrics."

Milly nodded. "When it comes to the spells used by divine casters, most tend to have really funny names. Not that I can really say anything, though." She produced her wand and gave it a flick. "Flare Guardian, Milly's Bonflare, Caustic Spit?"

"Ah, I see," Lier said. "'T's kinda like how it is back at home with the Book of Calls. That's the name, right?" When Erro returned a nod, the knight continued. "The reference book for official names. Of course some people come up with their quirky twists, though. Makes it easier for them to conjure up, too."

"Y-You must be thirsty," Iso said. "Unfortunately, we don't have our waters... drunk it all u-up. But maybe if there's some safe water to drink nearby I'll get you some." Walking in the wilderness alone, though, would be trouble for him. At the same time, he didn't want the others to be reminded of his fear of being alone, so he stayed close to Diger. "Just don't... don't wanna l-lose you again."

"Hmm."

"Why can't everyone just have one name for everything?" Erro said. "Doesn't it make it more accessible in knowledge or something?"

"No," blatant Lier avenged himself. "Hmhm. Unless it's really basic, it just becomes a habit. This one other knight I knew told me his spells were named after the type and his family members. Yeah, strange. That kid. Wonder what he's up to."

"... So! Now what? I'm guessing you have to return to your Celestial Heaven, right?" He ignored Vine cringing nearby.

Aela tutted at the question, flapping a hand in Lier's direction. "Return to Heaven? Please. Sudis won't let me back there for at least another few centuries. Not after the stunt I pulled last time." She looked out of the tent and over to her summoning site, sighing. "No, I think I'm going to hit the road again, like always. Heard about a few places up north that could use some help. Rebellion's been stirring again in Citiria, idiots who think they know better than two actual deities about how to run a country. Might try and bust a few skulls, see if I can help the Guard any."

"Oh? Angel going rogue," Vine laughed. "Haha. So the Lord wouldn't care if you just started involving yourself in other matters?"

"Like ours? Yeah." Erro rolled his eyes. In his mind, the "Celestial Heaven" he spoke of wasn't as organized than he thought it to be. "She can essentially do what she wants. Well, for wherever she goes as long as she's under the Sudis."

Liernoine listened to the croaks of the night nearby, his thoughts on the Blood Aura. If Diger still had his long-term memory, he surely had to remember that at least, to remember what he possibly knew about himself, the knight. He kept his eyes down for the grass, wondering about Lord Luiche and his band of devils. They were probably not too far off if they veer searching for more "intruders."

"Not quite, actually," Aela stated at Erro's comment. "I'm given more free rein than most Archons, sure, but even I have to follow my part in the Grand Design. Even the most rowdy of us keep to the natural order. Some of us just aren't meant to be rank and file like the Legion or higher up Angels. Sibyllic Guardians being one caste like that. If a Petitioner proved to be particularly rowdy, or independent, they're typically assigned to our group. It's what happened to me after I didn't fit in with the Legion."

Her head swiveled to Vine. "To answer you, no, not really. As long as I don't cause too much trouble, he's seen fit to let us Sibyllic's do what we think is needed to spread the word of goodness to the world."

From the Archon, Erro, and back, Vine smiled with a raise of his brow. "That's still a lot of authority. And trust. Under this 'Grand Design.'" He motioned to Erro and his bag abandoned back toward the fire. A misunderstanding of pantomimes unfolded, with Erro just asking his leader to just say it. "Got your notebook with you?" Vine said. "Hmhm, need to take some notes." Watching the historian huff his way for his bag, he added, "So, since you didn't fit in the Legion, where do you fit now? You're still with these Sibyllics, right?"

Note log in hand, Erro eyed daydreaming Lier. "What are you doing?"

"Hmm? O-Oh, just thinking."

"Not going to spend any time with Diger?"

I guess the same to you. "Just have to give 'em some time with," he whispered, "With Iso, y' know?"

"Hmph, sure." But the shabby notetaker also thought it was an excuse for Lier to avoid an apology, more like avoid the truth about this "Blood Aura." He didn't forget this, about the dragons still somewhere about the mountains at that. "Think he got to see the underworld?"

"That's a question for her," he thumbed back to Aela. "I wouldn't know about that."

"Doubt it," Milly butted in before Aela could respond. This earned her a frown from the Archon. "Most of the time, the soul doesn't remember what happened during its time in the afterlife. Not where we're from, at least. I learned that from a cleric that miss kicked-out-of-heaven here helped train."

Aela stuck her tongue out at the dragonborn. "William Moore. Probably the brightest, yet somehow dimmest, student I've ever taken. Absolutely brilliant with Technomancy and Psibernetics, but abysmal at anything else. I doubt he could fight his way out of a paper bag if it weren't for Sir Gallus."

Heh, a paper bag, Lier chuckled. "People's got to have their mentors before they do something reckless -- and many." Beside him, the pencil scratched away at the determined note-taker's hand against the dusty notebook. "Now," Lier continued, "What is Psibernetics? Never heard of that."

Adjustments were in full suit now for the newly awoken, the lack of memories prior to the death easing away. Even Iso could notice the gradual glow in the mathematician's face, the alertness of welcoming himself back into the situation. Yet, questions still remained between the two of them, but especially for the stutterer wishing to know more about this "Blood Aura." Such possibly became an anchor for their entire search, hidden from the rest of the group. Being in-the-moment outweighed all of its importance, though.

"Um," Iso motioned to mesmerized Vine, "We probably n-need to go stock on some m-more water."

"Oh okay. Bet he's thirsty. Go get some."

"I--!" He didn't want to go alone, nor did he want to openly admit it, either.

"There's probably not a lot of water around here anyway," Erro said. "You what?" Prying for an answer was difficult, for Iso couldn't admit his true fear of being alone, leaving Diger again. After another one of Iso's "It's nothings," Erro motioned to Vine, "I'll go with 'em."

Dropping down to her rump on the ground, Milly groaned and leaned against one of the trees the tent was tied to. She let out a hefty sigh, letting some stress slide from her mind. For a while she'd worried that this entire endeavor would've been wasted, she'd have called in a favor for nothing. Now, though, it looked like she mad the right call. She watched the others go about their business, fishing out a second, smaller flask from her coat pocket. This one was made of copper and bound with bands of zinc. She thumbed the top off and quaffed a portion of the briny solution inside, swishing it about before swallowing. She grimaced at how brackish it was.

"Stay safe out there," she called to the ones about to depart. "Stuff might be roaming the forest. Didn't see anything, but I can't attest to this place being empty. Animals or some shit might be out."

Nearby Aela stabbed her sword into the ground, dropping to a seat as well.

"Spirit Elixir?" she asked.

Milly looked over to her, wiggling the flask between her index finger and thumb. "Good for the spirits," she answered.

"Didn't take you for keeping his traditions going."

"Not doing it for him," the dragonborn chortled. "Doing it for me. I got a right to it, I'm gonna use it."

"C'mon," Erro beckoned Iso, walking for the sunken walkway between hanging trees. "Probably some water down here. We'll be fine, I promise." Iso couldn't argue with this, reassuring Diger of his "soon" return and bumbled beside the historian. To Diger, that reptile was sure right; vermin probably waited for opportunity to cause trouble.

Now that the notetaker was gone, Vine had to rely on his own memories. Fool's Valor Tonic, Twigs, Fire... Spirit Elixir. "Feeling down and out?"

Meanwhile, the knight found his chance, making his way over to Diger. "Feeling alright?"

"A lot better than earlier. That fragrance is still fresh in my mind, though. Receptive smelling salts?"

"You know I don't know a thing or two about whatever you mean by 'receptive.' But you're right about it being some salt. Put it to your nose, just like a cat." After some thought, he considered what ways they came. "But there was a lot more than that to bring you that. Did a ceremony and everything."

"Who is that?"

"Oh, okay. Got to catch you up." Start to finish the explanation began, from the death to the fall, from the befriending to the negotiation, from the gathering to the raise. "Yeah... It took a lot to get you back." Nothing posed a struggle more than this to Diger, who noted his chilly skin.

"I'm not fully alive, am I?"

"For you to think of this, I think you're more living than others."

"You're as alive as you make it," Milly called out to Diger's question, curling a knee to her chest. Resting an elbow on her knee, she took another short swig of the briny solution. "Ritual did what it could, brought back enough of you to put you over that threshold of the walking dead. I'm not too sure about the specifics, but I do know it's really you right now. Not... Something like you. Not like them." She cringed at the last bit, closing her eyes and shaking her head.

"Yeah, like she said," Lier said. "She's Milianor, by the way. And the other's Aela -- she's a sibyl." After Diger's awkward nod, the knight added, "But she said you'd be something different from alive. At least you're not a zombie. That's a good thing, right?" And came another silent nod.

"You really know how to whip stuff up on the spot," Vine said. "Gotta teach me how to make some of them concoctions sometime."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back