Other Most Useless skill they taught you in school?

Hail Mary, full of Grace, the Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now, and at the hour of our death.
(Catholic)

vs

We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men; indeed, we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul—
We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to endure all things.
If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things.
(Mormon)

Which i can recite in the most dead-sounding voice you'd ever hear, in perfect order, with perfect pronunciation, and also cry during the whole thing because the only thing I remember is wanting to d i e. Also applies to all thirteen articles of faith.

Also, gym.

Calculus book: "I now teach you real life applications for calculus."

Me: "ok cool."

Book: "you have INFINITE CABBAGES!"

Okay, so Calculus has not been useless in my day to day life (I also do derivatives for fun, so I might not be a good source for this), but that particular example always makes me laugh when I think about it.

Useless? Hmmm.

My professor told me all about how female pigs will become so still you can stand on them after they have gone into hear and entered the mating stance. I also know how to say vulgar/lewd things in German. That might not be as useless but I digress.

Cursive writing. Utter waste of time. I remember my teacher being all smug about it being needed when we grow up. Got to college entrance exams and the instructions literally said to not write in cursive during the essay part. Job application? No cursive writing. I only use it when writing my signature and that's about it.

When I was in high school, everyone was required to write an essay in a certain format and if they didn't write it the proper way, you couldn't graduate. It took me four years just to pass this task, it was a difficult challenge. It wasn't like if you failed, they give you the essay back and you see the mistakes you made beforehand. When I finally had the essay wrote that allowed me to graduate, to me it looked like a preschooler wrote it. As soon as I turned it in, I was told I was all done just like that. To this day, I felt like that was the worst thing anyone had to do to graduate.

I can recite the Lord's Prayer in the Gothic language.

What makes this even funnier is that I'm an atheist and can't say the Lord's Prayer in my own language despite knowing it in Gothic.

What makes this even funnier is that I'm an atheist and can't say the Lord's Prayer in my own language despite knowing it in Gothic.
That's gotta make a pretty cool party trick right?

That's gotta be a cool party trick right?

I dunno, man, I can also pronounce Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch and recite Jugemu's whole name from memory, but so far it didn't really impress anyone. Maybe I go to wrong parties. Ah, who am I kidding, look at what I do with my free time. It's obvious that I don't go to parties.

How to dissect a starfish. I loved the class and it was one of my favorite teachers, but I’m never going to need to dissect anything if I have any say in it, let alone a starfish.

I'm the type of person that believes any knowledge is valuable, but if I had to pick what's the least important for me, I'd have to pick several physics formulas that are used ad nauseum in completely idealized contexts (example: using energy equations in isolated spring mass systems) which rendered the study completely alienating - you only know how to think analytically within THAT context, other than that, just forget these equations alright, and symmetry operations in crystallography. Oh, and how to manipulate Flash Player. Other than that, my elemetary/high school was so miserable I hardly learnt the essential.

Now that's damn awesome and I would LOVE to know that. I don't wanna learn it though, just somehow innately wake up knowing it.

Bible study and square dancing. Like, the fuck? What you want me to do, pray that I get a job and square dance with the IRS when my taxes don't get paid? What fucking soft headed muppet thought square dancing was a good idea.

most useless thing so far? imma have to agree with BluDaBaDee BluDaBaDee - the parts of a cell. I don't need to know that the mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell.

• Calculus
  • Buying and selling stocks
  • Dissection of fetal pigs
  • Dissecting a sheep/cow eye
Unless I'm majoring in mathematics or heading off to steep money in the stock market, those things are useless to me. Not so much the fetal pigs (Zoology major before dropping out), but to anyone not interested in the field of life sciences, that's an especially useless one. That and the recorder. Is it just me, or is it always a recorder?

Either Algebra or how to play instruments, I ended up being able to use them as torture instruments. Seriously I could probably have a side career as an interrogator with how badly I play keyboards and especially flutes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back