Other Most Useless skill they taught you in school?

I would have said cursive, but apparently looking at my handwriting I utilize it with regular writing for fluidity (such as vowels and connecting letters in a word).

So I guess the most useless skill would have to be Spanish, mainly because I never used it when I lived in Florida and I learned French instead.

I’m gonna say cursive lol because when I was in 2nd grade they taught us cursive saying everyone would be using it and nobody prints anymore, and all of grade school we were forced to use cursive and when we moved on literally nothing was written in cursive

Not necessarily useless but I always got a kick out of the whole "you won't be carrying a calculator with you all the time" comment teachers would throw around as we practiced times tables. If only they knew...

Basically most of math.

Seriously you're not going to make some super-complicated calculation to cut something right or put tape on something

Like yeah, if you want to BECOME something that requires you to do that , fine, but 99% of the students probably won't.

"you will never have a calculator in your pocket." Ha!

And I do agree. Cursive handwriting. I could never get the K's down and never got my "cursive license" in 3rd grade. You had to hand write this letter in cursive in order to receive one. After 5 failed attempts I gave up. I felt like a failure because the rest of my class easily got theirs. They made fun of me for not being able to do something so simple. This made me loathe cursive. In the forth grade we were supposed to write a essay in cursive and I refused to complete the assignment.

In my school, we have to take 2 foreign language classes to graduate. I took Latin for 2 years because I thought it'd be really cool to learn it. I wound up only learning one word, and it wasn't even the right translation.

Yeah I know. Teachers like to support the bullies while they punish their victims for fighting back. Teachers aren't known for their smarts or logic.
It was only when I threatened to throw a chair at my bully that my teachers, actually, took notice. After months of telling the teachers about my situation and them doing very little, they only seem interested when I start reaching my breaking point.

This is probably my own personal biases showing through, but I'd most likely say French. I really abhored French in school, as it followed no sensible logic behind its grammatical structures. Once I thought there was order to the entire madness, I realized that the order was actually in fact partial, with many nonsensical objections to each and every rule.

I do honestly believe that if I ever need to commune with a frenchman, then I can just use English. This idea permeated in me throughout my entire academic career, and so far it has proven true. I do maintain the knowledge that the French are rather proud of their language, but I have been able to work around it for most my life (though it hasn't been long).

The little amount of Maori we had to learn in school probably. It's barely spoken even here, and far less in the rest of the world, so in terms of actual usefulness there is none for me.

A lot of people have said cursive but you need to know it in order to create a proper signature: one that you can copy over and over again while being complicated enough to prevent people from forging it. It can be dangerous to just draw a squiggly line on everything. But I digress. c: It was frustrating for me too; I hated learning the capital letters.

What I found the most pointless in school were AP classes. I took 6 in my senior year, thinking I would go to a certain college, but it ended up being too expensive (even with scholarships) and I'm at community instead, saving money by transferring in 3 semesters. The only class I got out of taking were my only 2 English credits for my degree, since I took the Dual Enrollment offered by my local community college instead of AP English.

Many other people in high school found themselves in the same boat, unfortunately.

After posting this I realized that was not a skill, just a general complaint I had about public school.

Unfortunately, the most useless skill I learned in school was how to write a letter. I know how to write a letter and I like to get them, but no one really sends them to each other anymore except for people who meet online, who talk online to begin with.

Last edited:
Learning to say "I like green pants" in German. Bar none the only phrase I am NEVER going to use.

The idea is that you know how to use the words: green, pants, I, and like in German
I don't even like the color green that much. Therefore, I have even less incentive to use it. Hell, I refrain from saying green in English.
But, you do have a point about what the take away is. I wouldn't have guessed or cared.

I was once part of this vocabulary group that my school forced me to be in and we learnt words like 'clamjamfry' WHICH IS AN ACTUAL WORD!

Listen if you wanna know how to put wires and resistors in a breadbox I'm your man

Users who are viewing this thread

Back