Experiences Most Ridiculous Roleplay Experiences?

This reply is a serious one. Serious enough that I actually transferred from my wheelchair into my writing chair so I could more easily type it—not something I do unless i am working on my manuscript. If you don't want to read any 'heavy', I'll totally understand. This preface is here mainly to give you a rip-cord to bail out of the post if you want to.

In 2016, I was struggling to find roleplay. The chat-based site I had been playig in was a total shit-show rodeo and I was looking for something better. I was referred in passing by a member of a site that was both really large and that also catered to both minors and adults, much as is done here. That kind of gave be a 'twitch'; I don't play with minors. The site otherwise looked good, so I decided to give them a try.

Very quickly, I found partners and even started a Game of Thrones RP. Things seemed good; I thought I had found sort of a home. The site had an embedded chat, and I spent time there, getting to know some folks. Unfortunately, the site has some very toxic people in the admin team, and also a lot of edgelord assholes that sit around waiting to rub their e-dick in someone's face. I fell arough of a couple of such people, two of whom were 'pets' of the admins. At about the same time, a different admin asked me to keep an eye on one member who was doing things like dragging the chat down by talking about his depression and other issues I don't want to spell right out. I had him on Block, but much like Discord, you can see what the person is posting if you click on it. I personally hate that you can do that, but I digress.

So... one of the more toxic people on the admin team handed out a 7 day ban because they were accusing me of backseat moderation. I had said 'Hey don't do that, it's actually against the rules and you could get into trouble' to this dude I was supposed to be watching, which was something I had seen many, many other people do. I know for a fact that this moderator disliked me, because a friend of mine had sent me some screengrabs of him ranting on about me. I settled in and weathered the seven days, but was pretty upset about it.

I made a private chat for just myself and friends, and offhand mentioned that I had been upset by that particular mod call. We moved on and were talking about the Thrones RP after that. One of the foilks from the RP messaged me and asked what had happened in PMs, and I went into a little more detail. Surprise, surprise! Turns out that admin was monitoring my posts, chats and PMs for what supposedly was 'airing dirty laundry'. I will note that this was not something automatically done to all members. This site has a XenForo add-on that lets you open members' PMs with two clicks. And they would have to be digging all the way through my chat logs to even find the handful of lines where I had said I didn't agree with that week ban.

I got permabanned. The day was Veterans Day. These people knew I was a veteran. They know I struggle every damn year, because I have friends that didn't make it home. I also have PTSD.

I tried to appeal that ban, but, by then, the bad admin was head of their security team and of course he shot it down immediately. It took me about a year to even feel safe playing at all. Now and then, I trip over someone I knew from that site, and it sets my anxiety off all over again. Now, things are a little better, since it's been close to three years, but this memory is still a little painful for me. It's also led me to be maybe more vocal in my Staff Contact folder; I am going to tend to double and triple-check to be sure I am good before doing things as I'm not really ready to face another ban.

I know I am abrasive. I am definitely not one to suffer fools, nor do I take any bullshit. I am probably older than most if not all the people on here (I am 54). All I want to do is fucking play, man... I don't have time for drama and petty, internecine squabbling. I am in pain, 24/7—I have spinal stenosis and spondylolisthesis. I have just recently lost the ability to stand or walk for more than five minutes. Writing and roleplaying are among the very few things that enable me to get my mind off all of that. The things that happened on that other site have made me super, super gun-shy and worried about becoming too attached to any site or roleplaying partner. I hope RPNation can change that; it's time for me to heal as best I can.

Thanks for reading.

Remember what I said about Willow setting Deathstroke on Fire was the most bizarre thing that has ever happened in a roleplay I was in?

Nevermind. I think a bread obsessed Batman, a misspelling of Benedict Cumberbatch converting Dib to Christianity, and King Dedede singing a Queen song makes that look like child’s play.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back