Other Most Painful Character death

When Caesar died I got teary eyed watching JoJo’s reaction.

Kakyoin.

Still don't know why the german's could revive a guy who literally exploded but the speedwagon foundation couldn't revive a donut.

Bob Newby and Hopper. Bob was too pure for the show, and his death was so brutal.
Hopper's death didn't really hit me till Eleven found his "heart to heart" letter. There I was, crying like a baby at 4am after binging the entire third season in one go. Help.

Honourable mention goes to Alexi. For a scientist working on what was intended to be a superweapon essentially he was so innocent and pure, finally getting one moment of happiness right before he's gunned down for doing the right thing, even if it meant going against his country.
"It's not rigged." I think will get to me when brought up in off-topic conversations, goddamn.

Rudy on The Book Thief. I loved this kid. I rooted for this kid. I knew this kid would die, but I did. Of course I did. When he painted his face with mud and and said he was Usain Bolt and got yelled at? I was there. When he was playing dominoes while her mother was talking about getting him into the military? I was there. In that creepy inspection and afterwards, when the protagonist was thinking about him while she had nightmares and couldn't sleep? I. was. there.

And then, in the end, when he's cold and unmoving under all of that rubbish and Liesel just begs him to wake up, to get up, because he's an idiot, and because he can't leave her alone, and because this wasn't supposed to happen, and because he said he would not let this happen, and because this can't be happening. And she kisses him. And it's awful and horrible and she finally kisses him. It feels so out of place, because it is. "They're just kids, they shoudnt kiss", yes, exactly. They didn't kiss before. They wouldn't have kissed had this not happen. It feels off because it is off, the whole situation is off, the whole situation is wrong. And she kisses him, because she knows that she can't wait until they both grow up to do so.

It feels so wrong and it makes you feel... powerless. Not like the neighbor's son who took his own life... that seemed somewhat ok. He had a story. We had a goodbye. Rudy? Death gave him... a sentence or two...
It still hurts.

Where the Red Fern Grows, that's all I need to say. Hoo boy reading that left me in shambles when I was a kid.

Other than than that I'd have to say:
Shinji's death and the MC's sacrifice, and yes I know you can save Shinji in P3P but I never played that. MC's sacrifice only made me sadder because of The Answer, I just hope Catherine can do something about it.

As far as books go, Augustus (Gus) McCrae's death in Lonesome Dove hit me for sure, harder than any other book character death.

In my first playthrough of the game FarCry 2, I worked a lot with Quarbani Singh, but at the end of one mission, he went down. I had one syringe left, and once the area was clear I used it on him. No joy. There was only one option left--put him out of his misery. Killing him, even out of mercy, actually hit me harder than I would've expected.

Bob Newby and Hopper. Bob was too pure for the show, and his death was so brutal.
Hopper's death didn't really hit me till Eleven found his "heart to heart" letter. There I was, crying like a baby at 4am after binging the entire third season in one go. Help.

Honourable mention goes to Alexi. For a scientist working on what was intended to be a superweapon essentially he was so innocent and pure, finally getting one moment of happiness right before he's gunned down for doing the right thing, even if it meant going against his country.
"It's not rigged." I think will get to me when brought up in off-topic conversations, goddamn.
Ugh I know. Bob deserved so much better and I feel so sorry for him. And I was way more depressed than I thought I'd be when Alexei died - he was a fun character and I wanted to see more of him.

As for Hopper? I highly doubt he's dead. We didn't see a body, or even any ash or anything. The rule of thumb is if you don't see a body, then they're probably still alive... d:

I was pretty torn up when Iron Man died. Honestly? I had an unpopular opinion that I didn't care for Tony Stark very much. I just didn't like his character. But as the MCU movies went on, I slowly grew to like him more and more, and I didn't realize just how much I liked him until he died in Endgame and my soul was crushed.

Oooooooh my god, so Haku and Zabuza’s death in Naruto still haunts me to this day!! I can still remember being a little 6th grader in my room watching it and having my heart shattered into a million pieces!! I can still recall the scene so clearly, honestly that whole arc has traumatized me XD!!!

Mufasa from Lion King lol. Character deaths don’t usually make me legit cry but this one gets me no matter how many times I watch. Something about Simba desperately trying to wake up his father just kills me.

Also in Red River (pretty obscure manga that I love) Zannanza’s death was so incredibly upsetting. I was absolutely devastated because I loved him so much.

although it's not graphically shown, jessamine kaldwin's death from dishonored is absolutely painful for me, simply because the second game lets you play as members of her family following her death and you get to see from their perspective how much it's impacted them (especially in chaotic playthroughs)

Shireen in Game of Thrones was one of the hardest character deaths for me. She wasn't really a favorite character of mine but it's the saddest death in the entire show for me. She screamed for her mommy and daddy to help her while she burned alive and they didn't even try (until it was already too late... mom).

I still remember reading "Something Like Summer" There is a character named Jace Holden and at some point in the book he suddenly died from a brain aneurysm, without notice, without warning. Just dropped dead.... I remember feeling that, I jumped out of my bed and fell to the floor just bawling my eyes out.

I cried when Light and L died in Deathnote, Sans and Papyrus in Undertale...and Loki in Infinity War....

WAIIT.....Thorin in LOTR, Battle of the FiveArmies......When he died I cried so hard......And when the other dwarves died.

Ziva David from NCIS. I started watching the show in 2013 when they killed her off, and I cried like crazy for weeks after I got to the episode where she died. But then S16 happened, and well.. Not so sad anymore.

Noah. I didn't really consider him a "favorite character", but he was cool.

His death was one of the few times I actually felt uncomfortable watching a show, and I'm normally okay with gory stuff.

Neji. I will never forgive Kishimoto for his complete lack of usage of this epic character and then just killing him off in the way that he did. ;_;

Pie Oh Pah in Imajica by Clive Barker. Ugh so tragic. Such a tragic life.

Shigeru Otori in Across the Nightingale Floor by Lian Hearn. Telegraphed for miles, but still so horrible when it actually happened.

Souji Okita in Hakuoki. Aaaand... pretty much all the characters who died in the anime (which is most of them.)

Also seconding Shireen in GoT, that was needless and so, so awful. D:

Okita's death in Hakuouki was already sad, but in Peacemaker Kurogane... 😭 😭 😭

Okita's death in Hakuouki was already sad, but in Peacemaker Kurogane... 😭 😭 😭

I found Peacemaker Kurogane really confusing, because there's this huge time skip between the first anime series and the movie(?), and I couldn't get back into it. Maybe I will give it another go.

I honestly don't think I could cope with it if we reached the point of Okita's death in Kaze Hikaru. AFAIK he isn't dead yet in the Japanese version which won't be out in English for another 20 years at the current rate, so it's actually possible that I will die before Okita. XDDD

Haurchefant's death in FFXIV: Heavensward. One of the most kindhearted Ishgardians and one who stayed with you since the beginning. Even worse is seeing his father's reaction to his death.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back