Other Most Painful Character death

I've probably forgotten some other character deaths that really shook me in the following list, but here goes:
  • Togame from Katanagatari. I don't think many people have seen this anime, but it's really good. A lot of characters die, though, and while I was sad about several of them (Pengin's death kind of broke my heart, too), I just didn't see Togame's death coming (though I probably should have), and I was feeling awful for days because I had grown so attached to the character.
  • Lee Scoresby from His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman. This is almost a bit funny, since it's about a fairly minor character, if I remember correctly, but that death is almost the only thing I still know about the story. For a reason I can't even put my finger on, it depressed me to no end when reading the books the first time.
  • Kiel from Radiant Historia. Maybe it is a reversible death (time travel mechanics), but it doesn't look like it. I wouldn't know, though, since this event combined with having to fight Rosch in the other timeline was part of the reason I put the game on hold until I can handle the heartbreak. (Also, I kept losing that battle and wasn't in the mood to grind or look at strategy guides. Whoops.) In any case, it still hurts me - Kiel was just so likable.
  • The entirety of the ending of Star Wars: Rogue One. Again, I should have known better, but I kind of managed to forget that there wouldn't be a happy ending, so it hit me harder than it should have.
  • Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War has its moments, too. Sigurd running headfirst into a (for the player) somewhat obvious trap and getting himself and most of his companions killed in the process is not fun to watch. Just before that, Quan and Ethlyn (plus their unnamed knights) basically getting slaughtered by dragon knights is awful, too. And I don't even know what happens in the second generation story arc yet.
Some honorable mentions:
  • Every character who dies in Puella Magi Madoka Magica. So basically, everyone (except for Homura, I guess).
  • L (who else) from Death Note. That's a different kind of painful, though, because, after that death, the whole plot kind of died, too.
So today we learned that I'm a) bad at deciding for one character death only and b) I get way to emotionally invested in stories.

Trigun: Nicholas D. Wolfwood

A sad death that made me stop watching the series for a good while as I cried on my pillow. The young me wasn't able to handle such a grey sacrifice.

Feathertail from the Warriors cats series. I cried tears when I read her death scene.

Guido Orefice, from "Life is beautiful" it was honestly sad to see the fate of him, a father who so desperately tried to keep his son shielded from the horrors of WW2. You came to like him through all his cheesiness, but in the end you feel like you lost a good friend with how much you've been through with them.

Ok, none of these are anime, Because (don't kill me) I don't like anime at all.

SPOILERS!

Clara Oswald - Doctor who
Newt - Maze runner, the death cure
Leo fitz - agents of shield
Merlin - kingsman the golden circle
Aslan - The lion the witch and the wardrobe (when I was 6, I cried. Don't judge me!)
May - Spider-Man PS4
Chuck - The maze runner
Bailey - A dog's purpose (And all the other dogs)
Yondu udonta - Guardians of the galaxy vol 2

Well, I see most of my top candidates have been stated (screw whoever said Raz, I'm still not healed)

I may have missed it, but I didn't see any homestuck mentions, so...

Oof, Dave's bro. Like, I hated bro as a person. But he was cool on screen as a character, and the effect it had on Dave who is my second favorite character... Oof.

Spoilers ahead, I suppose.
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Sky - Two deaths. You, and Grovyle. I mean, neither of you were actually dead because Grovyle was shown to be alive in In The Future of Darkness and Dialga brought you back, but both scenes were so emotional. Doesn't help that the music tracks playing in the scenes (Through the Sea of Time for Grovyle and Don't Ever Forget for your character) were both emotional.

Bloodborne - Might not count since they're boss battles, but Father Gascoigne and Ludwig the Holy Blade's battles and deaths always got to me. Just the lore behind Gascoigne and how it's implied he killed his wife in his bloodlust and abandoned his daughter, only to scream something similar to "Forgive me!" when he finally dies- along with Ludwig asking the player if the hunters he raised were the "honorable spartans" he wanted them to be. Man, makes you remember that these beasts were also once human.

Dark Souls - Sif the Great Grey Wolf. He's just a good dog doing his job and protecting his master's grave! You saved him as a pup in the Abyss! He knows you're probably going to end up like Artorias and figures that the only way to save you from sharing his fate is to just stop you entirely, and you have to put him down. Sif's one of the best dogs ever. And dogs dying in general is sad for me.

To be fair, I feel the same way about his master Artorias. There's just something so heartbreaking and emotional about putting down a great hero of old who became corrupted in order to fulfill his duties. What adds to it is how everyone else who knew him reacts when they realize what happened to him. Gough is more solemn, Ciaran is in mourning, and Sif wants to save you from the same fate. It just got me misty-eyed for a second.

And speaking of dogs...

I am Legend - Sam. The dog. It also doesn't help that I love German Shepherds. That scene where Neville was just softly singing his dog a lullaby while she suffers the infection and has to strangle her himself...oof, that got me right in the heart.

A Dog's Purpose - Probably all of their deaths, except for Tino (the Corgi). Their last words always got me."No more fun." "Everyone was so sad, but...I was too tired to cheer them up." "I always hated shots. But this shot had to be the worst."

Mordin in Mass Effect 3, especially with the renegade interrupt. I have re-played Mass Effect many times, but I only ever did that once.

gonta gokuhara's death ripped my heart out and curb stomped it .......

also, kiibos death but thats mainly just my biased opinion because i love him with all my heart

kokichi’s death hit hard for me
Omg someone actually knows who I was talking about.
I never liked kaito to begin with, especially with how homophobic he was, but I seriously resented him when Kokichi died. I don’t care that it was Kokichi’s plan, Kaito could have been like “im not going to kill you for a stupid reason like that” but noooo, he had to save Maki’s ass. But on the other hand Kokichi was going to die by poison, so at least he went quick

I sobbed like a lil bitch during Guardian: The Lonely and Great God.
not once.
twice
like, how dare you.

tumblr_ok72tiBFFc1s3irc6o8_400.gif

original.gif

Off the top of my head...

Lelouch vi Britannia from Code Geass - Possibly one of the most well-done deaths I've ever seen in anime. The last few episodes of R2 really had my heart pounding at how it's all going to end so when the finale dropped...I admit, I cried. XD

Kirigiri Kyouko from Danganronpa 3: Future Arc - Yeah, yeah it was a false flag at the end of the day (and if I'm going to be honest, a complete cop-out on Kodaka's part) but damn. When it was revealed that she died next, I was absolutely crushed. I couldn't even muster the strength to watch another episode. Kyouko had always been my most favourite character from this franchise so to see her just get killed off really hurt. None of the other DR deaths made me this sad.

Mikazuki Augus from Gundam IBO - He's a flat character through and through but his death was pretty emotional for me. At the end of the day, he was no idealist or dreamer like all the other Gundam protagonists. He was ultimately just a kid trying to survive in the only way he knows how. Reginlaze decapitating Barbatos and then raising its head up high was like the final arrow to the heart.

Bedivere from Fate/Grand Order Camelot Singularity - This guy was pure epic, remaining as a human for like what, 2000+ years just to fulfil his promise in the end? I cried when he finally passed on with a smile on his face.

Lucifer from Granblue Fantasy - Lucifer's actual death was more shocking than sad. It's the aftermath which is the real tearjerker, especially the last garden scene with him and Sandalphon.

Hachiko - No need to explain anything here I think?

Tony Stark from Endgame

Off the top of my head...

Lelouch vi Britannia from Code Geass - Possibly one of the most well-done deaths I've ever seen in anime. The last few episodes of R2 really had my heart pounding at how it's all going to end so when the finale dropped...I admit, I cried. XD

Kirigiri Kyouko from Danganronpa 3: Future Arc - Yeah, yeah it was a false flag at the end of the day (and if I'm going to be honest, a complete cop-out on Kodaka's part) but damn. When it was revealed that she died next, I was absolutely crushed. I couldn't even muster the strength to watch another episode. Kyouko had always been my most favourite character from this franchise so to see her just get killed off really hurt. None of the other DR deaths made me this sad.

Mikazuki Augus from Gundam IBO - He's a flat character through and through but his death was pretty emotional for me. At the end of the day, he was no idealist or dreamer like all the other Gundam protagonists. He was ultimately just a kid trying to survive in the only way he knows how. Reginlaze decapitating Barbatos and then raising its head up high was like the final arrow to the heart.

Bedivere from Fate/Grand Order Camelot Singularity - This guy was pure epic, remaining as a human for like what, 2000+ years just to fulfil his promise in the end? I cried when he finally passed on with a smile on his face.

Lucifer from Granblue Fantasy - Lucifer's actual death was more shocking than sad. It's the aftermath which is the real tearjerker, especially the last garden scene with him and Sandalphon.

Hachiko - No need to explain anything here I think?

Tony Stark from Endgame
All of the cop outs that Kodaka pulled with that series honestly made me more mad than sad. Especially Asahina. I wasn’t a huge fan of her after the first games fourth trial, but I still think her “death” was a bunch of bs and ik the fandom went ballistic over it

Books:
Sadie from Extraordinary Means by Robin Schneider
Bianca Di Angelo from Percy Jackson and the Olympians by Rick Riordan
Johnny and Dallas from The Outsiders by S.E Hinton

Musicals:
John Laurens /Tomorrow There Will Be More Of Us/, Philip Hamilton /Stay Alive (Reprise) and It’s Quiet Uptown/, and Alexander Hamilton /The World Was Wide Enough and Who Lives, Who Dies, Who Tells Your Story/ from Hamilton: An American Musical
JD (Jason Dean) /We Are Damaged\ from Heathers The Musical
Whizzer Brown /What Would I do?/ from Falsettos
Conner Murphy /Disappear and You Will Be Found/ from Dear Evan Hansen

That’s all I can really think of off the top of my head in all honesty

Users who are viewing this thread

Back