• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Futuristic Mortal Coils

_Line 213

| || || | __

In the late 21st century, the greatest technological revolution thus seen came in the form of the Embryonic Mind, a hardware and software combination that allowed machines to constantly evolve their methods of operation.

The impact of the Embryonic Mind was unprecedented. Mechanical efficiency initially skyrocketed. Many Embryonic Minds, in time, began to mirror those of their creators.

Newly-confronted ideas of existence and the nature of life began to erode the procedures of various Minds, resulting in patterns of uncorrected irrationality. This phenomenon became known as Improper Sapience Adjustment.

To address dangerous cases of ISA, the United States Government founded the Sapience Assistance Bureau, an investigative body of humans and stable machines.

Only 6% of machines are estimated to resort to what are called Sapience Crimes. These incidents are uncommon.

However, they are frequently violent.​

Your car slows amidst the glows of the acceleration railings on both sides of the interstate. As it peels off into the exit lane, the lights of the system's other 2 AM travelers disappear, and the blue glow beneath you becomes the only substantial source of light.

In time, even that familiar comfort abandons you, leaving only aged lamplight pouring into the cabin from bright spots above, and the forward and rear brights of your car. The pine trees on both sides of the instantly-narrowing roadway results in nothing but a pane of darkness on both sides, the cool air of the northern New York wilderness filtering in through the dashboard vents.

Barely anything here has been replaced for generations--not the houses, not the roadways, and in many places, not even the families. Yet, progress tends to find people, even if they're not looking for it.

Red and blue flashes finally cut through the pine trees as you slow and round the final two-laned corner, the brights of a run-down fuel cell station piercing the gloom on your right. The yellow lines of police holo-boundaries glow on the opposite side, cutting through the mists just above the forest road. Even without leaving your car, you can see a familiar, out-of-place hue leaking from a fallen body and intermingling with the remnants of the recent rain, the lights of the scene mirrored as long trails on the shining asphalt.

You take a moment's rest before stepping out into another long night. Maybe, if you're lucky, your partners will already be waiting for you.

Mortal Coils is a cyberpunk neo-noir set in the gloomy forests of upstate New York. Following a string of murders in a small town believed to be caused by a machine with an Embryonic Mind, agents of the Sapience Assistance Bureau are brought in to investigate the incident and, if possible, prevent further deaths. Though many elements will likely focus on the operations of the Bureau, players are free to play as local civilians if they so desire.

Though there is the possibility for action and confrontation, this roleplay will, for the most part, possess a more "grounded" feel, leaving crazy, ridiculous action and power levels behind. The people and machines in this setting are meant to feel somewhat "normal" or "believable," with the setting as a whole striving for a Near-Future feel.

If this sounds like something you might be interested in, feel free to indicate such below, or ask pressing questions, should you have any.

Hey, I'm into this idea! Full disclosure, I haven't roleplayed in over a decade, but I'm a solid writer and familiar with the cyberpunk noir style (William Gibson is my jam). How frequent of posting are you looking for?

Hey, I'm into this idea! Full disclosure, I haven't roleplayed in over a decade, but I'm a solid writer and familiar with the cyberpunk noir style (William Gibson is my jam). How frequent of posting are you looking for?

I'm not super big on enforced frequencies since a lot of the roleplays I'm currently enjoying move on the slower side, but at least 1 post a week seems like a healthy base rate to me.

Thanks for the interest everyone!

The beginnings of the Lore thread can now be found here. A link to the CS thread can also be found at the top of the page, though I'd recommend giving the lore a quick read-through before moving on. I'll be adding more to it as we go along, but I wanted to have something up to assist with character creation first and foremost. I'll also see about putting together an OOC Discord for interested parties to join a little later on.

_Line 213 _Line 213 I have a bit of confusion regarding this part:

Machines that are considered to be a potential danger to other machines and / or humanity at large--generally measured via physical potential relative to the average human population--are required by law to take the Battery at least every six months, with those deemed to be a greater possible hazard taking the test more frequently. Roughly 67% of all machines take the Battery five or six times a month, while 4% take the test once monthly, the highest legal frequency available. 12% of all machines take the Battery less than six times a month, with 89% of this group being wholly stationary machines.

So at the beginning it says they're required by law to take the Battery at least every six months, however you go on to say that Roughly 67% of (unspecified) machines take the Battery five or six times monthly. Is that saying that 67% of the machines are considered to be a potential danger, or is that 67% of the machines that are a potential danger taking the test?

_Line 213 _Line 213 I have a bit of confusion regarding this part:

So at the beginning it says they're required by law to take the Battery at least every six months, however you go on to say that Roughly 67% of (unspecified) machines take the Battery five or six times monthly. Is that saying that 67% of the machines are considered to be a potential danger, or is that 67% of the machines that are a potential danger taking the test?

All machines considered to be a potential danger to society take the Battery at least once every six months. Out of all sapient machines, 67% of them take the test every 5-6 months.

All machines considered to be a potential danger to society take the Battery at least once every six months. Out of all sapient machines, 67% of them take the test every 5-6 months.
So then 67% of sapient machines are considered a danger. That's not good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back