• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern More Than An Assignment

"You don't have to do this," Stuart implored as Adam began to pace, his gun in hand. "You really don't. I know it feels like you should, because you've followed his orders your whole life but this... this is different, Adam. You could step away, you could--"
"Shut up," Adam growled, lifting his hands to hold his head. "You just don't ever stop fucking talking, do you?"
"It's been said before." Stuart's voice held a tremor now that hadn't been there previously, and his eyes widened when Adam paused and pointed the gun in his direction. He noticed that his hand was shaking, and as their eyes met, Stuart shook his head.
"Please, don't do this."
"I have to," Adam whispered, "I... I'm sorry."
Stuart braced himself. He was so sure that this was the end but the shot never came and slowly, he opened one eye, and then the other.

--

Alannah knew that sending her in without him would be difficult for Cian, hell it was difficult for her to go in the damn building without him, but she knew this was the only way and both their expressions said as such as they came to stand in front of one another. Her bodyguard was taller than she was, and the politician had to tilt her head back slightly to regard him properly, but when she did so she recognised the same look of determination in his eyes, as was reflected in her own. They had to do this, they didn't have any other choice. But at least they could do it together.

She smiled against him when the first kiss came, the second still just as experimental, but the third... the third nearly had her melting on the spot. Alannah wasn't ever sure that she would get used to kissing Cian and even when they broke apart again, her eyes were shining with the triumph that they were here and they got to do this. No matter what happened, nobody could ever take that away from them. "Good luck," she breathed in return, mirroring his grin as her hand travelled down his arm to take his hand, giving his fingers a confident squeeze until he departed. Alannah watched him go, right up until she couldn't see him anymore, then she took in a breath and started towards the front of her building.

The stairs seemed to take forever but Alannah knew she couldn't risk the elevator, and when she finally reached her floor, she slowed, trying to regain her breath. She pushed open the double doors, crept past reception, the place eerily quiet. It was familiar yet it wasn't - there were papers strewn all over the floor, furniture turned over - either there had been a struggle or Adam was looking for something. Nevertheless, she continued forwards until her office came into view. The blinds were closed, she couldn't see inside, which was perhaps both a blessing and a curse. What it did allow Alannah to do was creep past and towards the fire escape, down the corridor until she reached the grey door with a push bar across it, one that she initiated as soon as she reached it. The door swung open to reveal Cian on the other side, and Alannah breathed a small sigh of relief before she ushered him in, her voice barely a whisper.

"The blinds are closed. I can't see inside." Then she looked back towards the office longingly, her mind scrambling to come up with some kind of plan. When she came up blank though, she decided that they had to do something, even if it wasn't planned. The thought of Stuart... It was enough to kickstart her legs back into action, and she remained low as she headed back to her own office, eventually coming to a stop with her back against the wall beside the door, ears straining to hear. She could have collapsed with joy when she heard Stuart's voice for the first time.

"Cold feet?"

"Cold feet?"

Adam's hand shook violently, his fingers automatically moving away from the trigger. He'd done his due diligence with gun safety, even if his father thought it was a waste of time. The sleek grey barrel of the gun pointed towards Stuart and Adam found himself regarding the man he'd been ordered to kill. In another time, another universe perhaps they could have been friends. What was it like to have friends? Stuarts wide eyes seemed to bounce from the barrel to Adams face. Time seemed to stand still as Stuarts life hung in the balance.

With a curse Adam lowered the gun and Stuart made a small squeak of relief, he'd been about to thank Adam profusely when the door to the office swung open and Adam's gun came swinging back up.

~

Cian was of the same mindset of Alannah, they had to do something... anything. From the tense silence that seemed to emanate from the door they were running out of time. He lifted a hand pressing Alannah to the wall and asking her to stay still with a look, before his hand reached for the door handle. He twisted it and pushed the door open, he stayed out of view from the doorframe and half expected shots to start ringing out, instead Stuart's raised voice had him pausing.

"No wait! Adam wait! We can fix this. Please just hear me out." There was a long pause and Cian stepped into the doorframe, his hands up in surrender. If he could just get Adam's attention off Stuart then maybe he could have a fighting chance of getting Stuart out of there. Adam's eyes flicked up over Stuart's shoulder to look at him but the gun remained centered between Stuart's eyes.

"Miss. Heshmati was told to come alone." Adam growled.

"I don't know if you've noticed but that was quite the impossible ask. Those two can't keep their hands off each other. It's the talk of the office these days. I mean you saw them at the gala right?" Stuart quipped, his voice wavering as the gun shook more in Adam's hand. "Please Adam, this isn't you. I see that now." Cian's brow furrowed, his brain scrambling to keep up with the conversation. Stuart really was a talkative soul when his life was in danger.

"There isn't anyway to fix this." Adam stood and both Cian and Stuart gulped as the gun was placed gently on Stuarts forehead.

"Hear him out." Cian tried, and Adam snarled at him.

"You have sixty seconds." Adam muttered, his finger curling around the trigger.

Hearing Stuart's voice sent a surge of relief through Alannah who struggled to keep it together long enough not to give them away. The feeling was short-lived however, when Cian straightened and stepped through the now open doorway, hands raised, putting himself in harms way. Alannah herself, followed shortly after and in any usual circumstances she would have chastised Stuart for his cheekiness, or blushed at the comment about her and Cian, right now though it made her want to cry because even in the face of death, he was still the Stuart Briar that they all knew and loved. And it would seem, from the tail end of the conversation they caught, Adam was starting to feel that way too.

"Adam, please..." Alannah whispered as his gun closed in on Stuart's forehead.

"I said," he repeated, his eyes never leaving Stuart. "You, have sixty seconds."

Stuart gulped. "Well, shit," he murmured, "No pressure then, I guess." Adam's expression twitched just ever so slightly. "Look, Adam, I'm not going to beg you. Everything that I've said to you already is true. You're your own person, not who your father wants you to be. You have a choice, in all of this. A choice to do the right thing. I'm not saying it'll be easy, because it won't but... it'll be easier to come back from than murder." Stuart shook his head but he could see in Adam's expression that he was wavering, that the light in his eyes was flickering. "We'll help you," he went on, "Maybe, if you can help us then the authorities will grant you immunity, or a lesser sentence or something... shit, I don't know how any of that CSI stuff works but I know that you... lowered the gun once, you can do it again. And so help me God if you shoot me in the fucking head, I will haunt you for the rest of your goddamn life."

There was a pause then one in which an unexpected sound filled the air. Laughter. Adam West was laughing.

"I don't doubt that," he said a little breathlessly, before finally, the gun lowered and he took a step back, allowing Alannah to rush forwards and fling herself at Stuart, her arms wrapping around him even though right now he couldn't exactly hug her back. She didn't care that Adam still held a gun, she just needed to feel her friend, her brilliant, wonderful, sarcastic friend.

"As nice as this hug is and all, a little help would probably be nicer?" Alannah pulled back then, wiping her teary eyes amidst an eye roll. "Right, sorry," she smiled and moved around to start untying his wrists, while behind her, Adam held the gun out for Cian to take from him, wordlessly, as though contemplating what in the hell he was going to do now.

It seemed as if someone had just popped a balloon over the tension in the room, the second Adam lowered his gun Cian released the breath he had been holding. His brain scrambled to keep up with the events of the past few moments and when Adam handed him the gun he took it, snapping the safety back on and tucking it into the waistband of his jeans. His knees felt a little weak and Cian took a seat in the nearest chair, leaning back heavily against the back as Alannah began to untie Stuart.

"I wasn't ready to be a ghost." Stuart admitted to the room as his wrists came free from the ties. Adam winced a little as Stuart began to rub at them, trying to get blood flow back to the area. Once he was fully untied, Stuart stood, gathering Alannah in his arms, he visibly sagged against her as the reality of his freedom settled over his heart. "Missed you." He murmured to Alannah as he pressed a kiss to her temple. There was a pause as Stuart's eyebrows furrowed and he stepped back from Alannah gripping her shoulders tightly.

"I can't believe you did that. Did you, Alannah Heshmati just walk into a hostage situation?" Stuarts eyes snapped away from Alannah to Cian. Stuart's death glare had Cian gulping and sitting a little straighter. "You. Let. Her. Do. This?" Each word was drawn out, and suddenly Cian was grateful Adam had given him the gun instead of Stuart. "At least tell me the police are nearby?" Stuart said and Adam looked around the room suddenly panicked. At the guilty silence that filled the room Stuart let out a cry of dismay, his arms shook Alannah gently.

"You two did this without telling the authorities?" Stuart's eyes widened in disbelief. "ARE YOU FUCKING STUPID?" That last question was directed to Cian as Stuart placed himself between the politician and the bodyguard.
"That was pretty stupid." Adam added helpfully.
"What he said!" Stuart said taking a menacing step towards Stuart. Cian stood, unable to take the verbal assault sitting down.

"Well now, you don't know what we went through. The police assigned to the case used Alannah for bait. We couldn't trust them." Cian said trying his best to defend his actions, from the way Stuart's gaze was shooting lasers into every venerable part of him Cian knew he was in a loosing battle.
"Two police officers do not equal the entire police force." Stuart said, his hands finding rest on his hips. "Why didn't you call anyone else? Hmmm?" Cian's gaze dropped to the floor, he probably should have thought of that...

The familiar shame and guilt over a poorly executed job pushed its way to the forefront of his mind. It had been like this months ago, and now. Perhaps he was in the wrong line of work. Cian nodded, unable to meet Stuarts eyes. "You're right. I should have thought of that."
"You're on my shit list again bucko." Stuart stated, twisting on his heel to look away from Cian.
"Wait... I was off it?" Cian asked his head lifting. Stuart didn't bother to answer him.

The relief swept through them all simultaneously, and as soon as Stuart gathered Alannah she all but collapsed into him, squeezing him tight when she felt his own body give up in the aftermath of its adrenaline rush. "I missed you," she breathed in return, her hands gripping onto the back of his blazer. It was only when Stuart pulled back and gripped her by the arms did she search his confused expression, the moment the words had left his mouth, her own opening to cut him off. Alannah knew this look, this stance very well. This was Stuart before he launched into full Stuart mode, even after just narrowly escaping death, he could still deal a blow to a living breathing human at three paces.

The politician turned to Cian at the same time as Stuart did but this time it was her turn to frown. "Stuart, that's unfair, I would have done this with or without Cian's--" Permission. The word never got out though as he spoke over the top of her, rounding on her bodyguard. She could see why he thought not calling the authorities was stupid, but she knew they had done the right thing, if he would just give her a second to try and explain their rationale. "Stuart, really--"

Alannah sighed, her own frustration building as she was cut off once again by the tirade. She knew Stuart well and she had a pretty good idea that this was partially a release of tension, and Cian was just the one in the way to take it. However, as he went on, she noticed the way her bodyguard slumped in his chair, the way his mind ticked over hearing that he was once again a failure, until she simply couldn't take it anymore.

"Enough!" Alannah interjected, moving towards Cian for the first time since they had entered her office, her hand gripping his shoulder, tightly. "You have no right, Stuart, no damn right." The man looked perplexed and opened his mouth to interrupt but Alannah was quick to jump in first. "Don't even think about it, it's my turn to speak." Adam, in the background, gulped. "We couldn't call the police because we had no idea who we could trust. It would seem that the Wests have the entire fucking city sitting in their back pocket, including the mayor, as you're well aware. We couldn't risk it, not after our experience with tweedle dumb and tweedle dumber. And Cian did call in backup, he called people that we could trust, let them know what was happening, where we were going." Alannah was on a roll and Stuart knew better than to attempt a second interruption.

"Plus, if we'd have called the police, you really think he wouldn't have panicked, if he were backed into a corner, when the flashing lights turned up to try and rescue you?" Adam helped up his hands in surrender, which Alannah chose to ignore. "I love you Stuart, but Cian is a huge part of the reason that you're not dead right now, he jumped into action as soon as I spoke to Adam on the phone so at the very least you owe him a thank you, rather than running him into the ground." Running a hand through her hair then, she could tell from the way Stuart bowed his head ever so slightly that she'd gotten through to him, even when he mumbled young love with a shake of his head. She also knew that no gratitude would be coming Cian's way anytime soon, not until he'd fully blown off steam and Alannah sighed as she realised this.

"But anyway, what matters right now isn't all of that but... it's where we go from here and what we do about... you." The group simultaneously swivelled towards Adam then who looked like a shell of his former self. A silence followed, one in which the group looked between each other until Adam was the first to break it.

"I could help," he offered quietly, so quietly that Alannah thought she might be mistaken. "I could help you... with taking my dad down. If that's what you want to do, you're going to need someone on the inside."

He'd been so used to protecting people, Cian found he quite enjoyed when the tables were turned and he was the one being protected. Alannah called out Stuart and in her well spoken politician ways, she had him bowing his head in shame. Truly it was a beautiful talent, he'd never seen anyone so put in their place. Alannah's hand was a warm anchor on his shoulder, and he couldn't resist leaning back into her, he head touching her sternum as he tilted he head back to smile up at her. He didn't have to say the words aloud, his thanks clear from the shine in his eyes.

At the mention of Adam he let his head drop back down and Cian regarded the man with new eyes. Those cold lifeless eyes were still that, but Cian could now recognize the effort Adam took to look that way. There was a flicker of hope in Adam's voice as he offered his services and Cian's brow raised.

"You would do that?" Cian asked, not bothering to question the mans loyalty. Cian didn't get the sense Adam was working any deeper game here, he seemed just as happy (At least, as happy as a West could get) as the rest of them to get out of the clutches of Sal West.

"I would." Adam said, his head nodding along with his own affirmation. Stuart seemed pleased with Adam's answer and despite them being at odds only a few moments ago, the politician clapped Adam on the back with his approval. Cian smiled and he stood from his chair, his hand automatically finding Alannah's and lacing his fingers with hers.

"Well if that's the case I guess we better start coming up with a plan." He told the group, already a small idea forming in the back of his mind. They'd been about to dig into formulating when the burner phone started ringing in Alannah's pocket. Their hands released and when Alannah dug out the phone they saw it was Theo's number. Cian answered it for them, putting Theo on speakerphone for everyone to hear. The phone call was a short one, Theo had called to check in and suggested they make their way to the Fiddle to include everyone in the planning.

The group in the offices seemed to all concur that was a fine idea and so they packed up their things and took the short trip to Cian's family bar. The usual lights and signage were nowhere to be seen, and Cian spotted a few regulars grumbling at the unexpected closure of the bar as he found parking around back. With a quick knock on the backdoor the group was quickly ushered into the cozy warm atmosphere of the bar. Donovan took one look at the state everyone was in and brought down some top shelf whiskey along with idea that could be pressed to bruises or water down the strong booze.

Theo came up short in his greeting, his eyes narrowing on Adam. "Mind explaining why he is here?" He grumbled.
"Adam's offered to help us." Cian told Theo. There was a moment where Theo debated on trusting, but like the true friend he was he trusted Cian's instinct and visibly relaxed.
"Well in that case, pull up a chair." Theo gestured to the center table in the room where the rest of the team sat, already nursing their own beers. Miguel was standing near a large chalk board that normally stated the weeks specials, but had been wiped clean for any brainstorming that could be done. Theo turned his attention to Alannah, his gaze softening as he went to press a fond kiss against her cheek. "Miss. Heshmati. We have to stop meeting under these stressful circumstances." He winked at her.

It took a moment for everyone to settle, Cian thanked his father for the use of the space before turning to look at everyone. "Alright. Adam, if you wouldn't mind giving us a bit of a break down of your fathers operation and hierarchy I think that would be a great first step."

There was a sense of hope reanimating the group now, which was a farcry from the feelings they had entered this scenario with. Alannah remained quiet after putting Stuart in his place, a small sense of anxiousness forming in the pit of her stomach. Cian and Stuart seemed happy enough to trust that Adam was being honest, but she was having a hard time not seeing those cold, lifeless eyes and fearing the worst. She certainly wasn't the type not to give a second chance, but she was glad of Cian's gentle reassurances, his fingers wrapping around her own and his confidence in taking the lead to regroup everyone back at the Fiddle.

The pub offered a kind of comfort like nothing Alannah had experienced before so immediately in another setting. She greeted Donovan with a kiss to his cheek and a warm thank you for letting them use the place, and she batted Theo's kiss away in pretence before enveloping him into a tight squeeze. "Next time we'll go for dinner, no drama, I promise," she beamed at him, suddenly feeling very loved and very comfortable surrounded by the people that she and Cian knew they could rely on, despite the subject matter that settled between them.

With a whiskey glass in each hand, the group eventually settled and looked to Adam for his answer. It was clear the man looked slightly uncomfortable, from the way he loosed the collar around his neck, and shifted in his seat, but nobody spoke, allowing him the space he needed to betray who Alannah imagined was his closest family member.

"Alright, so." Adam moved his whiskey glass out of his way and pointed to a central point on the wooden table beneath his fingers. "It'll come as no surprise to you that my father is at the top of the operation, and to get to him, you'll need to get through a few key players first." His fingers moved to an imaginary layer below. "The first, is Preston... I think he'll be the easiest to crack. He's always been a little... uneasy about joining but my father has a way of making offers that people can't refuse. He holds a lot of sway with other key politicians and government so if you topple him, you're already starting at the foundations of my father's network. If you can somehow get into his office, I bet you there will be a ton of shady paperwork you can use to scare him off and failing that, a gun never went amiss with--"

"No," Alannah quickly interjected. "I don't think that'll be necessary, not unless it absolutely has to come to that. If Preston could be easily spooked by some evidence, let's go down that route. Theo, do you think you'd be able to crack into their network? I have some access to the forum that they use over there. I'm just thinking if we can take the evidence to Preston, it'll be one less step for us once we get over there... I'd like to request that I speak to Preston too, if that works for everybody? I think the message will hit home coming from me. We used to be friends once."

"Already on it, sweet," Theo saluted Alannah as he pulled up his laptop and began tapping, to which she gave him a grateful smile before Adam continued.

"If you can crack Preston, your next step is the mayor. He might be trickier to get to, though. He's much more... protected, let's say."

Faint sounds of chalk scratching against board filled the room as Miguel wrote down Preston's name and in point form their small plan. Under that information he wrote Alannah and Theo's name. Miguel was always the planner, when they discussed their played in rugby he was often the one commandeering the blackboard much to Donovan's dismay. Cian nodded along with Alannah as she formulated her plan. It was a solid idea and Cian had to agree of all the known players Alannah knew him best. There was a part of him that hoped to capture the moment on Preston's face when he realized he had chosen the wrong side of things.

Theo got to work on accessing what he needed and Adam turned their attention to their next target: the mayor. Miguel automatically began to fill in a column for the mayor and Adam fell silent in thought.

"As far as I'm aware, the mayor has a fairly regular date with the green most weeks. It might be easiest to do anything there." Cian said and Adam nodded.

"The man is certainly more preoccupied with his game than the city, my father has been more than happy to keep him at the country club there. He's a bit of a hard nut to crack, truly there isn't much that we can use to leverage him work wise. The man couldn't care less about Kirkbridge." Adam filled in, Stuart snorted in agreement lifting his snifter of whiskey to take a healthy sip.

"Is there anything outside of his work performance that we might be able to use?" Cian asked his gazed focused in on Adam. He watched as the man pulled at his collar and cleared his throat.

"Well... There is always black mail... or kidnapping." Adam quickly glanced up to see Alannah's disapproving face before dropping his gaze to the floor once again. "Y-you're right, probably shouldn't do that." Cian chuckled at the man before leaning forward on the table. His large arms rested over the wood as his mind went through multiple possible solutions when a lightbulb suddenly went off in his head. A quick glance around the room showed him that those around him had seen the gears turning and all were now looking at him expectantly.

"It might be a bit of a problem for Sal if a number of politicians were to come forward and demand a recall for the mayoral position. We aren't supposed to have another election for another two years but if information were to come forward about how little the mayor cares for his people we might have a chance. If we could grab a recording of him saying incriminating things about his work life balance that could be the cherry on top." Cian proposed.

"That sounds harder than kidnapping." Adam added helpfully. "But it could work."

"I can get started with the recall paperwork." Stuart offered, "I have a friend in legal that could help expedite the process a little." Stuart paused, something clouded his eyes as he thought. His gaze lifted to Alannah and a wicked smile filtered over his features. "I know just who to recommend to take over the position."

For a moment, after saying her piece, Alannah sat back and watched her team of colleagues, but above all else, friends work around her. They meshed together perfectly, even Adam to a certain extent, bouncing ideas off of one another and and coming up with solutions every time a potential problem was identified. When it came to Cian's turn to suggest an idea, her hazel eyes fixed upon him, knowing before everyone else did that the gears were turning, recognising the way his brow creased slightly and his jaw set in concentration. Alannah found that she could happily watch him like that forever, until he set the wheels in motion for how they could get to the mayor as they planned to get to Preston, too.

It was only when all eyes lifted to her did Alannah blink out of her feelings of gratitude, her mind racing to catch up with what Stuart had just suggested. For a moment their gazes locked across the table and then slowly, she began to smile, nodding her head gently and trying to ignore the fluttering in her chest. "I think that sounds like a great idea," she said to him softly, trying not to get too ahead of herself, trying not to think about how this had been part of her dream since she was a small child. So instead of freaking out like she wanted to a little, she took a steadying inhale, glanced briefly at Cian for support and then turned to the group once more.

"Well, it sounds like we have a way forwards then, so all that's left to think about really is... Sal himself, and I can't help but feel that he might be a tougher cookie to crack." Adam nodded sagely, and Alannah let out a sigh. "How about then, Cian and I can make a start on Preston once Theo's found what we need, then we'll tackle the mayor next... I think we should be able to catch him at the country club, when he's relaxed. Though, we might have to think about who speaks to him, because I have a feeling he's not going to let anything incriminating slip to me, of all people, spa or no spa. Then while we're there, the rest of you can look into Sal and start assessing anymore weaknesses. How does that sound?"

A mumbled agreement erupted from around the room, before Theo clapped his hands together, with an uttered, "Bingo!" Alannah was already up and out of her seat, moving round to the table to lean in by his side so she could peer at the laptop that was now being spun towards her. "I have here... evidence of payments. From an unknown account. But, when you check the account number against these records..." His fingers trailed down a screen, a database like nothing Alannah had ever seen before. If someone had told her that this was The Matrix, she'd have believed them.

"They've come from the Vision building, otherwise known as..."

"West HQ."

"Theo, you're a genius!" Alannah breathed, squeezing his shoulder. "Could you email those to me? Then Cian, I think we're just about ready to go pay Preston an overdue visit, don't you?"

Stuarts suggestion of of whom he'd like to see take up the mantel had Cian beaming with pride. Alannah as mayor was such a pretty image, he could see her now in one of her brightly coloured suits giving a speech to onlookers. With Alannah steering the wheel he was certain Kirkbridge and her residents would be well taken care of. Cian could feel heat run up his back as a fantasy entered his mind. He'd visit her at her new office, shut the door and get to his knees in front of her ergonomic chair. He'd have no problem spending long moments thanking her for every hour she devoted to the city. Theo's exclamation drew him out of the smoke show that had become his mind, Cian coughed, shifting in his seat and forcing himself to take steadying breaths.

By the time he'd collected himself Alannah was gearing to go, her cinnamon brown eyes alight with determination as she stood behind Theo. He'd been about to raise to his feet and follow after their fearless leader into the next battle when Stuart stopped them by clearing his throat.

"Hold your horses. These plans are great and I can't wait to do a little ass kicking myself but we need to notify the police." Stuart pointed out, he was leaning forward on the table, his gaze jumping to each person in the room. "I refuse to believe that Sal has the entire police force in his back pocket." At his words, Stuart shifted to Adam, seeking an answer.

"Well he does have quite a few on his payroll. But I know of a few who might be more than happy to help out your cause." Adam said. The man seemed nervous, unable to meet the eyes of those around him as he picked at an invisible thread on his shirt. Cian took pity on the unfortunate man with the lifeless eyes, coming forward to clasp one large hand over his shoulder.

"If those men aren't willing to work with your father I'm certain they will be willing to work with you on making sure you'll be treated fairly and kindly." He told Adam quietly. It was clear to see the man's life was adding up against him and it was rather terrifying when the time for responsibility came. Adam merely nodded and Cian let go of him. "Adam, can you work with Miguel and the guys to locate those police officers. We'll let you take point on getting the police involved. Alannah and I will get started on Preston."

Stuart nodded, pleased with the turn of events but when Cian met his eye the look quickly changed from pleasure to righteous expectation. Cian didn't need to read minds to know exactly what the politician was silently telling him. If a single hair is harmed on her head I will end you. Snorting lightly Cian sent Stuart a wink before approaching the woman who he would do just about anything for. He couldn't help himself when he reached out to tug lightly on the strands of the hair that framed her face. "Let's do this thing."

Everyone wished them luck, Theo came rushing up to give both of them a hug as he whispered his wishes of luck. Donovan stopped his son as well, pressing a grease stained bag onto his hands.
"Something for the road." He told the both of them. "When this is all said and done we'll throw a Ceili, bring about good changes with music and laughter." Donovan moved forward and pressed a friendly kiss to the crown of Alannah's head. "You take care of my son now." Donovan stepped back, wishing them well with his eyes looking rather teary. They stepped out into the the low din of the city, the sounds of cars and people all around them. It seemed strange that so many of them could act as if it were just another normal day when it felt like Cian and Alannah stood on the precipice of major change.

"Sorry about my dad, he's always been a sucker for the underdog story. None of his football teams have ever won." Cian chuckled. Unable to resist he unfolded the bag to peer down at it's contents. He let out a small noise of victory when he spotted some freshly baked pastries. They made their way to the rental car and hopped in. Quickly Cian connected his phone to the bluetooth speaker, a sly grin filtered over his features when he picked the first song. Once he was assured Alannah was buckled in he put the car in reverse and they were off to the unsuspecting Preston.

~

This was the fourth phone Sal had destroyed in the space of a week. The little politician and her lap dog were starting to become more than a small thorn in his side. Her community outreach and safe sites were causing more than enough damage. How on earth was a good hardworking man like him supposed to work in these conditions? Easy access to mules and those that could be bought with brightly coloured pills was dwindling and now those that expected supplies were breathing down his neck. Sal looked down at the remains of his phone that he'd crushed under his foot, the cigar burning close to his lips as he took in heavy drags of smoke.

Adam was MIA and he was just about ready to bury his son under his next parking garage.

Watching Cian interact with Adam, providing him with as much reassurance as he could was just something else that Alannah admired about him. Adam had done wrong, of that much they were all certain, but that didn’t mean he wasn’t trying to redeem himself and she could tell that Cian was overlooking that for now in favour of making sure that the man felt welcomed, felt like part of the team so that they could get the job done. It was admirable really, and spoke to his strength of character, and when he joined her to leave after their team had agreed on involving the police, she smiled up at him, leaning into his hand that he used for brushing away strands of her hair.

They were soon enveloped in wishes of good luck and warnings to be careful, but it was Donovan’s parting farewell that stayed with Alannah the most. “I hope that’s a promise,” she smiled at his twinkling eyes and dipped her head when he placed a kiss to her crown and asked her to take care of his son. It took her aback just a little, but instinctively her hand came up to hold the older man’s arm as she said, “I’ll guard him with my life. I promise.” And she truly meant it.

By the time that they making their way to the car, Alannah shook her head gently in response to Cian’s apology. “No, don’t be. I’ll take all of the support we can get and if you’re dad’s rooting for us then that means we gotta win this thing, right?” Her smaller shoulder bumped against his and she rejoiced in the celebration of the homemade pastries before they were in the car and Alannah found herself giggling at Cian’s choice of song, and singing along to it as he put their rental into reverse.

An onlooker wouldn’t have believed that they were on their way to serving a once colleague with some uncomfortable home truths, especially for the first half of the journey, anyway. Alannah didn’t stop at humming and singing along, but turned the tune into full blown karaoke, holding a pretend mic under Cian’s chin for the harmonies and feeding him strips of pastry when he hit the right notes. It was her own small attempt to lighten the situation just a little, to rid herself of the nerves that she could feel swimming around in her stomach. The second half of the journey however, merged much more into a tense silence as her leg began to bounce, hazel eyes watching the familiar streets of the city pass by. Alannah couldn’t quite get away from the fact that Preston had been her friend once, her inspiration in many ways. Yet he now found himself in the pocket of the city’s biggest criminal, and she had to tell him that they knew and intended to stop him, and all of the rest it. The whole thing. Perhaps he’d be grateful, or perhaps he’d hate her forever for potentially ruining his life.

When they finally pulled up outside of Preston’s offices, Alannah took in a breath and slowly exhaled, but her eyes remained fixed upon the entrance. “I’m… I’m really scared,” she spoke into the silence eventually, a small scoff of self-depravation leaving her at the same time as her admission. It was the first time she’d said this out loud during this whole sorry saga, but right now in this moment, she felt as though the reality of what they were about to do, what they were about to take on was hitting her. This, if it went right or wrong, could change their lives, and the lives of so many others forever.

“I never thought I’d find myself coming to Preston’s office under these circumstances. He… He used to be my friend. Well, no, more than that actually. He was good at what he did. Really good, he made such huge changes to the city. I took so much inspiration from him but now…” The politician shook her head and managed a small smile as she looked over at Cian, then down at his hand, reaching over to link his fingers with her own. “I can’t wait for all of this to be over,” she admitted softly. “And for us to be nestled away in a cabin somewhere, where nobody can find us. Then I can finally show you how I’ve really felt about you these past few weeks.” The smile that followed was cheeky, flirtatious, but it was fleeting, as she looked back up at the building in front of them and let out an exhale.

“Shall we?”

--

Nobody was answering and Sal was becoming increasingly agitated. He’d tried Preston and nothing, so his next stop was the mayor and if that didn’t work then hell, he’d go down to their bloody offices himself. God help them if it came to that, he grumbled to himself while moving around to his plush leather seat, behind his expensive mahogany desk where he filled a crystal glass with two fingers of whiskey, his grip upon it so tight that it was a wonder it didn’t shatter. After a moment or so of consideration, he called through to his receptionist and once again asked her to get Preston on the line. Moments later, she came back with the very last news that he wanted to hear.

“Preston is in a meeting, sir.”
“Who with?”
“His PA didn’t say names but she mentioned a man and a woman who she thought she recognised from the news…”

Sal’s receptionist flinched as a crashing of glass sounded down the end of the phone, moments later his breathless voice spitting into the receiver.

“Get me a fucking car. Now!”

Every kilometer that brought them closer to Preston's offices had their mood shifting from those bright happy tones to something more somber. Cian's music seemed to shift with the mood, melancholy rap that whispered stories of heartbreak and tragedy. It had him reaching forward to turn down the music a little, the remains of the pastries left untouched between them on the center console. Alannah was staring out of the window, her jaw set in determination, but on closer inspection he could see the subtle tilt down of her lips as her thoughts drew her away. He parked not to far away from the front entrance of the building, twisting the key so their SUV ceased its rumblings, all that was left now was still. Cian twisted in his seat, noticing Alannah's attention was focused on the entrance.

Her confession had him reaching over to place a warm hand over her her knee. He didn't speak, didn't move as Alannah worked out the thoughts in her head and brought them out into the open with her words. She reached and linked their fingers together, Cian squeezed lightly, giving her a smile in return as she spoke of the future and their hopes for what it might bring.

"Oh trust me Alannah, once we're in that cabin, you and I won't be going anywhere for a long, long while." Heat burned in his gaze as he lifted their joined hands to press a kiss to her knuckles. "It's ok to be scared Alannah, I'll be honest I'm scared too. It feels like this is bigger than we can even imagine..." He drew off, not wanting to put even more pressure on the two of them while they prepared for the next step. "Preston was a fool to stray from this path that's inspired you, and I'm so sorry you had to watch someone you respected make the choices they did." Cian met her eye once more, "you're leaps and bounds ahead of him now sunshine. Time to show him what happens when you make your bed with the likes of Sal."

They got out of the car, and headed towards the large windowed entrance. Small planters lined the concrete walkway, filled with weeds that seemed to be choking out the hearty shrubs that grew there. Upon entering Preston's office they were greeted by a smartly dressed woman in a white skirt suit, her hair pulled up neatly in a bun. She seemed to recognize Alannah and gestured that they follow her up the stairs and to a large corner office that Preston was working away in. Cian thanked the woman and she nodded, walking away from the office without another word. Deciding that knocking was too good for Preston, Cian opened the door and stepped back to let Alannah in.

"Alannah?" Preston peeked his head up over his monitor, shock clear on his face. "What on earth are you doing here?" Preston stood and Cian shut the door behind him. He stood tall behind Alannah, placing himself between Preston and the door. There was no denying he took great pleasure in folding his giant arms over his chest, flexing only slightly to ensure Preston got the message he wasn't leaving until they were finished with him.

"I don't know what game you two are playing, but this... this is just plain stupid Alannah." Preston tried to draw himself up as well, his shoulders straightening, but the waver in his voice gave him away.

Preston's office and building was a space that Alannah knew well, but never had she felt such dread surrounding her with every step towards it that she took. Cian's words of encouragement had helped and she could still feel his hand linked with her own, his lips pressed against her knuckles which she drew comfort from. There was nobody, nobody that she would rather have had by her side throughout all of this. He was her strength, her energy source, the light she needed when things grew too dark and she had meant it when she'd said that she couldn't wait to show him all of that and more when all of this was over. It was a want growing within her, a need, one that she hopefully wouldn't have to bury for too much longer.

When they finally reached Preston's secretary, Alannah gave her a smile and without needing to explain, the woman showed them up stairs and to the corner office in which they could see Preston huddled in through the glass door and windows. Cian thanked the secretary, leaving them alone and then opened the door without knocking, allowing Alannah to step through first. Her eyes immediately met with those of the politician, and the shock written upon once handsome features caused her to swallow slightly, and smack her lips against the drying of her mouth.

"Preston," she spoke eventually, stopping just in front of Cian and therefore the door too, showing him that there was no way out of this. "I think you know what we're doing here." Thankful that her voice sounded braver than she felt, Alannah watched him draw himself up, flexing his shoulders back so that his chest puffed out slightly. The sight was almost laughable, and it seemed to dawn upon her in that moment, that this was no longer the Preston she had known. A part of her hoped that he was still in there somewhere, but the other part was ready to mourn the loss of a once good friend.

"We're not playing anymore, and nothing about this is stupid. Other than perhaps your decision to jump into bed with Sal West."

Preston's face visibly paled upon hearing these words and he recoiled slightly, though in the next instance was attempting to compose himself by running a hand through his dark hair.

"I-I don't know what you're talking about, Alannah. Look, let's just arrange a proper meeting, we can talk--"

"Stop it. Just stop it. It's over. We know all about your shady deals with the Wests - Adam told us, and we have evidence." Pulling her phone out of her pocket, Alannah stepped forwards and pushed it towards Preston across the surface of his desk. "The payments from the Vision building, that Sal's company has been making to you every month? I dread to think exactly what he's been paying you for." With shaking hands, Preston looked from Alannah, to Cian, then down to the phone which he gingerly picked up, almost as if it were a bomb about to explode in his face. Which in a way, it was.

"How could you, Preston? How could you? After the success of your campaign, after everything you've done for Kirkbridge?" Alannah could feel her eyes stinging but she blinked her tears away, instead taking a step forwards, her small hands clenched into fists by her sides. "I hope the dirty money was worth it."

Preston was like a deer in the headlights, his body seemed frozen as he looked down at the phone. Alannah questioned him, she threw Preston's integrity up to the spotlight and burned it to a crisp with her clipped tone and damning evidence. Cian could hear the strain in her voice as she mourned the man in front of her. It had been clear upon their first meeting that Alannah had held Preston in high regard, and for the briefest of moments Cian had wondered if there had been anything romantic between the two. Now as they stood in Preston's office Cian witnessed Alannah cut her ties to the man who had been a part of her political journey.

"What's the point in showing me this?" Preston's hackles seemed to raise as he threw the phone down on the desk between them. "I did what I had to, did everything for this city and progress." The man glared at Alannah and Cian resisted the urge to smash his face downward for daring to look at her that way. He took a menacing step forward but Preston's anger was solely focused on Alannah. "That money ensured I could move forward, and if you don't see that this was the only way forward then you aren't fit for politics." Something seemed to take over Preston then, as he straightened his tie, and turned his back to them.

Preston's corner office had two large windows on either wall with a cornered bookcase between them. Thick texts with pristine spines indicated that Preston had not opened a single one of his books. The politician peered out the window, his hands coming forward to rest on the window sill from Cian's vantage. Something about the scene had alarm bells going off in his head and Cian's hands dropped. He stepped forward as Preston spoke once more.

"You've been nothing but a thorn in my side. Let's be real Heshmati, you'll never amount to anything with the way you chose to run things. You're nothing but a stupid bitch, leading the way with her heart. God what a pathetic waste of time. This ends today." The next moments seemed to happen in slow motion for Cian. His instincts jumped into action, reaching up he gripped Alannah's arm jerking her back a step as he moved forward. They were close to Preston's desk and once Cian had Alannah behind him he reached for the first heavy item he could see on the desk as Preston scrambled to grab something out of the bookcase.

A flash of sliver gleamed as Preston drew out a gun from a box in the bookshelf as Cian's hand wrapped around a stapler.

"Alannah! Get down!" Cian shouted, reeling his hand back and then throwing the stapler as hard as he could, sending it hurting towards Preston.

There was a palpable change in the air as Preston was backed into a corner, trying to fight his way out with intimidation in the form of stepping towards the smaller politician an drawing himself up to his full height. Alannah held her ground though, scoffing at his attempt to put her off. "And to think you were my inspiration once," she told him bitterly. "You know why I'm showing you this. There's nowhere to go from here, Preston. We've got you, it's as simple as that."

It didn't seem to be in Preston's mind, however. Hazel eyes followed him through his movements, her heart beating a little too erratically in her chest. Alannah could hardly believe the words that were coming out of his mouth, so full of poison that she realised Sal must have gotten his claws in deep long before she realised any of this was happening. She became acutely aware of Cian moving forwards out of the corner of her eye, but only did she realise that something was wrong when the room seemed to explode into chaos.

A hand yanked her backwards, Preston fumbled with a disguised box, the flash of silver, Cian's voice... Alannah ducked but she grabbed her bodyguard's arm and pulled him down with her, closing her eyes in preparation for the gunshot that never came. Instead, a dull thud, followed by a scream and a clatter followed as the pistol Preston had attempted to draw upon them skidded across the floor towards them. Alannah acted on instinct, picking it up quickly and with shaking hands, raising to her feet with it pointed at Preston who was now clutching a bloodied nose where the stapler had made impact. "Fucking, fuck!" He yelled, as Alannah gestured for Cian to restrain him. "What the fuck do you think you're doing, Heshmati?"

"What I should have done a long time ago." Alannah moved to the door then, only lowering the gun if Cian managed to get the man secured. "Call the police," she yelled out of the door. "Tell them there's a firearm in here." Then, she turned back to Preston.

"You're a fucking idiot, Preston. We came here to give you a chance to redeem yourself, to undo all of the bad you've inflicted upon this city. I can see now that was our mistake. You're too far gone for second chances."

He'd been too late.

Flashing police lights illuminated the street that Preston's offices sat on and Sal West watched on with fury as Preston was guided into a police car by an officer. The politicians hands were cuffed tightly behind his back and Sal watched as Preston's forehead leaned against the darkened window of the car. Sal certainly had enjoyed the uses of Preston, the man was easily swayed by monthly payments and a VIP membership to one of the more exclusive escort services. In return Preston had been quite the eager little helper, always ready to give him the scoop on upcoming projects and give him a heads up on anything that would threaten his livelihood.

Now his asset was gone, and with it, his eyes into the inner workings of Kirkbridge. Alannah Heshmati was costing him everything. Frankly he had to give her credit, the little woman was a tough nut to crack and not only was she undermining his whole operation she had survived every attempt on her life. It was a shame she was so straight laced, for he would have had a great number of uses for someone of her caliber. Impatiently he lit up a cigarette and watched on as Alannah and her bodyguard gave their statements to the police.

"Well..." He sighed to himself, a puff of smoke filling the space in front of him, hazing the image before him. "Looks like I'll have to get my hands dirty."

~

Cian and Alannah stood on the sidewalk, watching contemplatively as Preston's furious face screamed at them from behind the window of the car. The officer driving the car rolled his eyes as he pulled the car out onto the road and drove away, taking the muffled screams of the politician. They had given their statements a number of times and with the police on the right side of things Cian felt a strange sense of calm settle over him. His hands shifted to his pockets and he tilted his head up to peer up at a few lazy clouds that dotted the pale blue sky. They'd updated the rest of the team on their latest development and hope was alive and well in their little group.

Shifting his attention to Alannah, Cian couldn't help the small noise of empathy that came out of him. Alannah's life had been nothing but hell for the past few weeks and he wanted nothing more than to shield her from it. Life seemed to keep kicking her, even when she was already down and Cian felt helpless as all he could do was ride through it with her. Pulling a hand from his pocket he slung his arm around her shoulders, drawing her into his side. She fit so perfectly against him, and he bent to press a kiss to her head.

"Let's take a walk." He whispered to her. They set off away from their rental, away from the offices in which Alannah lost a friend. He was silent, wanting to let Alannah take a moment to process all she was feeling. It was late afternoon, all around them people wandered by doing their shopping or running to meetings. Small stores stood on the ground floors to skyscrapers and apartment buildings, most of them appeared to be little cafes or fast food places. Cian wasn't looking for anything in particular to do but when his eyes landed on a sign shaped like a paw print he broke into a smile.

Cian halted in his gait, looking down at Alannah with his wolfish grin as he jerked his head towards the store that had captured his attention.

"How about it Sunshine?" He sidestepped and held the door open for her as he spoke.

The Cat's Meow was your typical cozy cat cafe, with large cushioned chairs and plenty of spots for kittens and senior cats to play. Cian paid for their entry as well as two teas and some cookies. The server promised to bring them their order in a few moments and encouraged them to step inside the room to play. Cian once again held the door open for Alannah and stepped in behind her. Immediately a number of kittens were intrigued by their new guests, toddling up to the politician and her bodyguard with little curious mews.

Her head felt like it was spinning as she watched Preston snarling and hissing behind the glass of the police car window, as though he had been possessed by something. At this point she wouldn’t be surprised if Sal turned out to be possessing people too. Contemplatively, Alannah wondered if Preston had always had that side to him and she had just chosen not to see it because of how in awe of him she had always been, or if his slow descent into madness had happened over time, as Sal’s grip upon him had tightened to the point it had manipulated her friend into something unrecognisable.

As the car finally pulled away from the curb, Alannah waited for the emotion to hit her, waited for the tears, the frustration… but they never came. Instead she simply felt numb, almost as though she had taken as much as she could handle, and everything else was being absorbed into the pit of the black hole forming in her chest. The only guiding light of course was Cian, who always seemed to know what she needed before she did. When his large arm wrapped around her shoulders she allowed hers to hook around his waist, and she snuggled into his side, taking solace and comfort from his warmth, his familiar scent. Her head tilted to look up at him when he suggested a walk and after a nod of agreement they set off, still attached to one another.

Alannah was grateful for the silence as they meandered aimlessly through crowded streets – it made it easier to pretend that they were just another couple, heading out on a date, without impending danger lurking around every corner. Though it wasn’t long before guilt caught up with her once more, as she considered how Cian hadn’t asked for any of this but how he was involved by proxy, because of her. The feeling both simultaneously caused her to want to pull away but also nestle further into him and in the end it was the latter that she chose, allowing her thoughts and feelings to wash through her without too much consequence, just as Cian had intended.

It was for this reason that she didn’t notice the cat café up ahead of them until he drew her attention to it and upon stopping in front of it, Alannah looked from the window to Cian, the excitement growing across her features, almost like a child who was asking their parents’ permission to do something that they really wanted to. “I’d like nothing more,” she all but whispered, and truly, she meant it.

Stepping inside the cosy space was exactly the separation from the shit show her life had become she needed. They were immediately greeted by several curious kittens that Alannah bent down to greet, holding her knuckles out for them to rub against and for a moment just losing herself in their playful innocence, until they’d placed their order and were making their way over to sit at a table. Once Cian was settled though, Alannah stopped beside him before making her way to her own seat. “This is exactly what I needed,” she murmured, leaning over him slightly, “Thank you.” And then she dipped in and pressed not one but two tender kisses to his lips, holding his bearded chin briefly between her thumb and forefinger before making her way around to her own seat.

“You know, I always wanted a cat when I was younger but my parents never allowed it. They were too busy and I think they thought my sisters and I would get bored of a pet too easily. This would have been my dream place to come as a kid. Still is, really.” Just as she said this a languid tabby stroked by Alannah’s legs and she caught his tail to stroke along briefly before looking back up to Cian with shining eyes, her earlier helplessness momentarily replaced by a kind of wild happiness.

“Okay, here’s a question for you,” she leaned forwards on the table slightly. “If you had to pick the cat equivalent of me, which one would you pick? You go first, then I’ll do the same for you.”

It was almost like stepping into a new world, a new dimension. Less than an hour ago Cian and Alannah had been ducking to avoid a potential gunshot and now... kittens. Cian made a mental note of the healing cate cafes offered in times of trauma as he sat down at their table. He'd been so lost in thought it took him a moment to understand that Alannah was next to him, her thumb and forefinger gripping his chin and angling his face so that she might kiss him. Immediately his eyes closed and Cian leaned into her embrace, loving the feel of her confidant lips against his.

By the time she lifted her head Cian had a silly enamored grin resting easily over his features. She spoke of the past and how much she had wanted a pet and he supposed her parents had enough on their plates with all the daughters they had created. He chuckled a little at the thought and leaned forward to watch as Alannah reached down to stoke the tail of a tabby seemed just as in love with the politician as he was. In the past Cian had thought he'd known what love was, until Alannah came and rewrote every rule and notion he'd come to. He wondered if she knew how much she owned his soul.

"It sounds like we're going to have to come here more often then. "
Her eyes were bright as she spoke and the bright sunshine smile of hers was a blaze. Alannah leaned forward towards him and he was helpless. She gave her request and Cian looked about the room considering.

"Alright, you got it Sunshine." Lifting from the chair Cian made his rounds around the room, bending to see if cats were hiding in tunnels or small bedded igloos. One of the walls of the cat cafe was set up as a climbing wall for the cats who wanted a little privacy, however their spots were no match for the lumbering giant who was determined to find the perfect cat version of Alannah. "I like that we play games." Cian spoke aloud as he lifted a hand for a sleepy cat to sniff at. "Two truths and a lie, A secret for a goal..." Cian twisted his head to wink at Alannah. "Mario Kart, but honestly you hardly make that a challenge." He teased her as he moved onto find her doppelganger.

Cian knelt and picked up a stick that had feathers dangling from one end by a rope. Immediately the kittens that had followed him around the room jumped into action, rushing for the gathering of feathers with clumsy little jumps and tiny claws extended. Cian chuckled as he watched them, until finally his eyes landed on another cat who was emerging from his den to see what the fuss was about. The cat's slate green eyes darkened at the toy and he watched as it got down on its hunches, its butt high in the air as it focused on its prey. A butt wiggle and a pounce later the fluffy striped cat hurled itself into the mass of kittens. Mew's and squeaks of surprise emitted from the brawl as the kittens attention turned to the long fluffy tail of the cat that swept the floor.

Cian halted in his game and dropped the toy to the floor. He reached his hand out and the cat sniffed before bonking its noggin against his knuckles. His rough hands moved to brush against the side of the cats face and the feline leaned into his touch. With his other hand he was able to find the tag of the cats collar to reveal the name the cafe had given him. Etched metal revealed the name "Nike." Cian snorted unsure if they meant the brand or the goddess but he went with it. After a few moments Cian had coaxed the cat into his arms and returned to the table with Alannah's double.

"Presenting your cat equivalent." Cian grinned proudly as loud purrs emanated from his arms. Laughing he seated himself and placed his new friend on his lap.

Alannah didn't realise she needed to see Cian's huge form exploring a cat café and all of the tiny hidden corners and tunnels that it offered until it was right in front of her. His interaction with the small creatures who seemed to be looking up at him with fascinated curiosity reminded her of just how much of a gentle giant he was, and her heart was immediately set to fluttering as she leaned her chin into her fingers and watched him with an almost dreamy smile. His teasing however, saw her momentary breaking from her daydream of what it would be like to live with Cian in their own apartment with their own cat. It would be games galore she had no doubt, but at the same time it would be warm, cosy and... home. She would feel at home, so long as he was there. Alannah didn't know what they were to each other yet, but in her own mind her feelings were very clear. They just needed to get this whole sorry saga with Sal out of the way and then maybe, just maybe they'd be able to focus on each other.

"I think you are misremembering, McRannall," Alannah raised her eyebrows. "I was beating you at Mario Kart pretty much the whole way until that bloody shell you threw at the finish line. Other than that moment though, I love that we play games too." Her admission was followed with a gentle chuckle before he resumed the task at hand and she resumed watching him. When he eventually made his choice and carried the beautiful tabby coloured cat with the green eyes over to their table, Alannah stood so that she could greet him, scratching her fingers against his fluffy neck. "I gotta give it to you, you picked well. He's a beauty," she smirked, though her expression soon softened. "Oh look at him. He absolutely adores you which... I guess is why he's really my equivalent, right?" Alannah's smile briefly turned coy as she met Cian's gaze before she straightened, knowing it was now her turn to do the same. If she was honest though, she'd already had her eye on the cat version of Cian since she set the challenge and it didn't take her long to find him.

The gorgeous ginger boy was sat atop a large scratch post and had been since they'd arrived. He was bigger than a lot of the other cats, chunkier, but his amber eyes were sleepy, relaxed, and his long stripy tail flicked languidly over the side of the post. When Alannah approach he blinked slowly but didn't move, instead, tilting his head slightly to give her access to his neck which she gladly began to scratch. "Presenting cat Cian," she beamed over at the table, and giggled when the feline rolled onto its side, stretching out its paws which came out and retracted with every purr, his head turning upside down as Alannah's fingers moved to rub his fluffy tummy. While she had the opportunity, she also checked his name on the wall where the photos and profiles of the residents were kept, which she was pleased to learn was Burt.

"Alright then, for your next challenge," she said to Cian, as a beautiful white moggy jumped up to join in the fuss. "I want you to tell me why Nike is me and then I'll tell you why Burt is you. Best answer buys dinner tomorrow night. Deal?"

"It sounds like we need a rematch in order to jog your memory." Cian teased as Alannah gave Nike one last pat before making her way out into the crowd of cats. Cian settled in the chair and made a noise of contentment as Nike worked with him and the two found a comfortable spot together. "If only my apartment building allowed cats." Cian crooned at the fluffball in his lap, he was rewarded with a few slow blinks from those intense emerald eyes. Nike's sharp claws dug into the fabric of his jeans as the large cat settled himself in Cian's lap. The cats head rested comfortably against his knee and Cian let his hand slide down the soft fur of Nike's back.

Alannah went off in search of Cian's double and it seemed like the politician already had a candidate in mind and he watched as she acquainted herself with the cat. The ginger tabby seemed just as enamored with her and he laughed as she was given a belly to stroke. He already felt a close kinship to Burt if that was how he was going to react around Alannah. A second cat joined the petting party and Alannah dutifully offered her attention to it as well. Alannah gave her next challenge and Cian grinned like a fool, god he loved everything about this.

"That's Stuart there." Cian pointed at the white fur that was fighting for Alannah's undivided interest. "No explanation necessary." Cian turned his attention back to the cat in his lap and considered his choice. "It was mostly a feeling for me, seems like the both of you can't half ass anything. Work, play, snuggles..." He lifted his head to wink at Alannah, he kept his gaze on her then as he spoke, his hand absently patting over Nike as he did. "I think the word I want to use is earnest. You dive in head first no matter how you're feeling and give it your all and it seems like this one has that same spirit. Not to mention you're both pretty as hell."

He'd been about to say more, but the door separating the kitchen from the cats opened and a server came out holding their tray of drinks and sweets. They apologized for the wait explaining they were new and the milk frother gave them a run for their money. Cian laughed and Nike lifted his head to blink at him with annoyance. Cian and Alannah thanked the server and Cian looked over the assortment of cookies and teas hungrily. He plucked up a green macaroon and bit into the sweet treat. He was quiet as he chewed and thought of more reasons Alannah and this cutie in his lap were similar.

"I suppose I'll finish by saying it feels right to have this one sitting here, but it's nothing compared to how right it feels to hold you." Images of the two of them flashed through his mind, holding her close on the dance floor, the band stand, the night on a rather sloshy water bed. He smiled fondly at the memories and turned the floor over to her with a gesture of his hands. "Lay your wisdom on me then Heshmati."

As soon as Cian pointed out the cat equivalent of Stuart, Alannah let out a giggle of amusement, because he was absolutely correct. "Didn't take you long to suss him out," she mused, watching the white feline bat her hand when she stopped stroking her, only to scratch behind her ears and for her to stalk off to something seemingly more interesting moments later. She was definitely a Stuart alright, but her absence allowed Alannah to focus upon Burt once more, who still seemed content to lay on his post and receive attention when it came, while watching the proceedings around him.

It was only when Cian began his answer to her question did Alannah glance up at him, her expression softening as his large hand glided back and forth over Nike's head and his words captured the both of them in a way that only he could. Honestly, it seemed silly to say but the politician had never felt more seen, a feeling that went deeper than just her work persona. She was grinning again by the time he'd finished, pleased that he saw her that way and slightly in awe of that fact too, that someone was good as Cian thought of her in that way. "You're a charmer, McRannall," she told him softly before leaving Burt to his own devices for now and heading back over to their table where she sat down opposite her bodyguard, their gazes locked. "But I'll take it." In fact, she had just been about to lean over to take his hand when they were interrupted by the arrival of their drinks and sweet treats.

Immediately taking a tea into her hands to busy them, Alannah thanked the server before taking a sip, lifting her head again when Cian continued, his final statement actually making her blush just a little. "I would like nothing more than to take Nike's place right now," she responded bashfully, maybe even a little cheekily, though one glance at the cat told her she had no chance, even if sitting in Cian's lap in the middle of a cat cafe would have been appropriate. Chuckling softly to herself, when it was finally her turn she took a final sip of her drink before relaxing the cup back into her lap and looking over to Burt with a kind of wistfulness.

"Well, the first thing that drew me to my new friend over there was his size. He's far bigger than most of the other cats in here," Alannah grinned as she flickered her hazel eyes between Burt and his doppelgänger. "But he's also affectionate, and loving, and so laidback he makes me feel like I wanna lay down with him and snuggle up under a duvet somewhere. Like a big, fluffy, gentle giant." Her gaze was solely fixed upon Cian now, and god, how she wanted to kiss him. "I also liked how he's sat higher up than everyone else, like he's watching over them all, keeping them safe. I've never felt more safe than when I'm with you, McRannall. You, and Burt over there... have completely captured my heart. There's no going back for me now."

For a moment Cian forgot about what was appropriate and he half considered gently placing Nike down on the ground and patting his lap for Alannah to take her rightful place. Windows looking in on the cats playroom and memories of the press had him keeping the purring cat right were he was. From where they sat a soft beam of light filtered through the window and landed on Alannah, her warm skin seemed to glow with happiness. Cian watched as her gentle hands curled around the warm ceramic of her mug as she considered Burt. Had Cian been given a snapshot of Alannah in this moment he would have assumed she was looking at a piece of art that spoke to her soul, rather than a giant tabby that reminded her of him.

She took him through her thoughts and Cian all but melted into a giant puddle of emotional goo in front of her. The gentle pricking of Nike's nails into his jeans was the only thing that kept him grounded to the moment as Alannah wove her lovely words. When she finished Cian had to clear his throat of the gravel that threatened to make his voice crack should he speak.

"Well -" Cian cleared his throat once more as the words came out higher pitched than he anticipated. "Shit, Alannah, you win. Dinners on me tomorrow." His wolfish grin was back with his next words. "I still feel like a winner though." Nike took this opportunity to leave his lap and while the gorgeous cat sashayed away, his tail curling in farewell, Cian took the opportunity to slide his chair closer to Alannah. Lifting his mug of tea he held it out to Alannah. She took his silent invitation and clinked her own mug against his in cheers.

The world outside waited for them, but Alannah and Cian couldn't be bothered with usurping a crime boss at the moment. Not once did their thoughts stray to Preston as he was shoved unceremoniously into an interrogation room, nor did they think of what else was to come. Instead Cian ducked his head close to Alannah, his lips pressing to her temple. He closed his eyes, lingering there as he breathed in the scent of her. Her implicit trust humbled him, she handed him her her heart and wellbeing on a platter and Cian vowed to guard over her with every fiber of his being. Three little words danced their way through his mind and threatened to spill out.

I love you. Fuck, I really fucking love you.

He didn't say them though, as perfect as the moment was he knew how much more it would mean to say it in the aftermath. The love he bore for her wasn't born out of danger or thrilling heroics. No, this flame burned because of the simple human moments they shared; an honest conversation in the blue glow of the aquarium, a shared look as children gathered for a story. Instead of pouring his heart out in a cat cafe Cian pressed another kiss to her head before cracking a joke about Stuarts cat. They stayed nestled together for a long while, enjoying their tea and watching the kittens play.

Cian even paid for an extra hour so the two could sit on the floor and cuddle all who dared walk near them. Finally when they had their fill of adorable the politician and her bodyguard entered back out into the street. The next day they would begin with phase 2 of their plan, but for now Cian was content to walk with her hand in his.

When Cian's response came, Alannah was surprised to find that she'd spoken herself into a state of heightened emotion too, hazel eyes shining back at him as she laughed when she realised what a mess they both were. Everything she had said, every word - it was all true. Cian was her bodyguard but he was now so much more than that too. He was her anchor, her safety net, her greatest support, cheerleader, her home. She couldn't think of life without him in it anymore. Over the time they had gotten to know each other, from working together to playing Mario Kart, Alannah had embedded him in every part of her life, so that her heart now beat for Cian and Cian alone. Just like she'd told him so only moments ago and without even realising it, her own thoughts were suddenly mirror images of his.

I love you, Cian McRannall. More than words can say.

The clink of their cups sealed the moment and the politician gently leaned into the kiss placed upon her temple, and that's exactly where she remained until either of them felt a need to move. Cian's warmth, his scent, she just wanted all of him to herself in this moment, no matter what else was erupting into the world around them. They'd had a few days from hell, why couldn't they take a short reprieve, to regroup, to focus on themselves and their blossoming feelings when they'd had no such chance to since admitting them partially to each other?

There was no doubt in Alannah's mind that this moment would plant itself into their shared history, as so many others had before it.

When they'd finally had their fill of cats and cuteness, the two of them decided to call it a night, with Alannah practically glowing in a way that she hadn't for what felt like a long, long time. Her smaller fingers were linked with Cian's larger ones as they wandered out onto and through the streets of the city, laughing at their shared favourite moments from the cafe, which included Stuart's cat batting another across the face when he tried to steal her food and a kitten's roly-poly straight into its litter tray. "Thank you for taking me there," Alannah smiled up at at the tall form from beside him, nestling a little further into his muscled arm, hugging it against her chest. "Watching and playing with cats for a couple of hours was exactly what I needed. I just wish that... this part of our day didn't have to end." It was with this statement though that an inevitable idea struck her and Alannah's footsteps slowed in thought. "Unless... it doesn't have too." The words left her lips quietly, before she met Cian's gaze once more, this time with an almost wistful smile.

"I know we can't go back to mine but could we maybe... go to your place instead?"

Her hands clung to his upper arm and Cian relished the way she pressed into him, her eyes alight with a new idea. The grin she beamed up at him had sparks leaping up his spine as he returned the gesture. He agreed, ending the night now felt... wrong. He didn't think he could walk away from her ever again, Cian wasn't usually the needy type but the idea of be apart from her for any length of time seemed impossible. Her suggestion of his place had him reaching up to rub the spot where his heart beat in overtime, he loved that she asked for what she wanted.

"Yeah, I like that idea." His voice was gruff as he nodded his approval. He couldn't help but reach out and trace the bright line of her smile with a gentle thumb. For a moment he seemed lost, ready to loose himself in her right then and there but the honking of a nearby car had him shaking out of his daze. Cian cleared his throat and gave her cheeky smile that revealed the direction his thoughts had taken. "Just warning you in advance that I don't really have much in the fridge. It's been a little bit since I've been home." They meandered down the sidewalk, taking their time as they returned back to the car and hopped in.

The lumbering giant of a body guard realized his hands were shaking as he fumbled to get the key in the ignition. Was he nervous? Of course. He shot a glance in Alannah's direction, wondering if the same nerves plagued her. "Did you feel this way when I came over to your flat? Nervous I mean?" He asked as he pulled the car away from Prestons offices and set them off in the direction of his apartment. Thankfully it wasn't a long drive and the roads were fairly clear during the early evening. Truthfully Cian probably looked over to his passenger more than he looked at the roads.

He found his parking spot on a side street next to his apartment building and turned off the car with a shaky breath. Alannah had been about to open her door when he stopped her with a hand to her thigh. Alannah's eyes jumped from that spot where they connected up to his face. Immediately he flushed, but he mustered his courage, wanting the words to be out in the open.

"I just want to say... there are no expectations. Just having you here is better than anything." It felt important to tell her that, to assure her that while he loved everything between them and loved the idea of moving forward to more pleasurable places he wouldn't ever press for something she didn't want. He smiled then and lifted his hand so he could hop out of the car and join her out on the sidewalk. Cian's apartment building was a short little building nestled among a few others that looked to be carbon copies of his. Dark brown bricks with white trim windows showcased the verity of its inhabitants. Balconies held bicycles and chairs while some hosted bright flowers from planters lit up by happy fairy lights. Cian led the way into his building, walking past a number of mailboxes in the entryway area and up to the elevators.

Once on the 4th floor, Cian led Alannah to the left and to the dark black door that was his apartment. Cian unlocked the door and pushed it open, he stepped back and gestured for Alannah to walk in first.
"Ta-da!" He said gesturing to what was clearly a bachelor pad. It was an open concept living room and kitchen, with dark grey tiling matched with the warm leather brown of his sofa. A big TV took up the largest wall and a hall to the left led to his bedroom and ensuite. Signs of his nesting included a blanket haphazardly draped over the sofa and a few mugs standing next to the sink. Cian shut the door behind them and noticed the dishes with a wince, for a moment he thought of rushing to put them away but decided that might look a little awkward. So instead Cian walked for the small bar his father had commissioned for the space and held up a bottle of red wine he'd been saving for a special occasion. "Can I pour you a glass?" He asked.

Her hopeful expression visibly brightened when Cian agreed to her suggestion, and she gently leaned her cheek into his hand when he brought up his large thumb to trace the outline of her lips. In truth, Alannah was just as lost in that moment as he was, her mind drifting ahead to what they could finally do when they were alone before his cheeky smile pulled a soft giggle from her and a very quick dismissal of his warning. "No bother, we can order in."

With a new pep in her step at the thought of seeing Cian's place for first time, Alannah continued to cling to his arm as they made their way back through the city that seemed to envelope them in a sense of comfort, even if it was just for tonight, like any other couple walking along the pathway. It was easy to forget about everything that was following them around when it was just the two of them, away from work, away from all of the crazy. As they approached Preston's office and their rental once more, she considered how their first few days might have played out if they hadn't met under the circumstances they currently found themselves embroiled in. How their first kiss wouldn't have been one born out of anger, how the second time Cian came round to her place it wouldn't be to defend her from someone threatening her life. But then as she looked up and over the car at him briefly, just before they both opened the doors, she realised that there was nothing she would change about knowing Cian McRannall for the world.

Once they were in, it was only when Alannah had clicked her seatbelt on did she notice that he was fumbling with his hands and she looked up at him, about to question if he was okay when he spoke first and her confusion softened into something close to heart-melting adoration. "I was a little," she admitted. "I guess I just hoped you'd like it, you know? But honestly, Cian, you have nothing to be nervous about." Then she reached out a hand to squeeze his arm. "You could be taking me back to a rabbit warren and I wouldn't think any less of you. The only thing that would ever do that would be if I beat you at Mario Kart again." Flashing him a quick wink then, she dipped forwards and placed a kiss on his clothed shoulder before settling back into her seat for the rest of the journey.

When they eventually started through a more residential looking part of the city, Alannah couldn't help but lean up against her window as she peered at the buildings and their balconies that were littered with belongings that gave a small glimpse into the lives of the people that lived there. Her own heart had sped up just a little now that the car was pulling to a stop, and when the engine was finally killed she felt eager to hop out, or at least that was until she felt a warm hand on her thigh. She noticed immediately how Cian was struggling with something he wanted to say and she tried to focus on that rather than the searing heat his fingers so far up her leg drove into her stomach. Hazel eyes blinked a few times in an attempt to ground herself, before she realised what he was saying and reached out a hand to cover his. The things that this bodyguard did to her heart, she could hardly even begin to verbalise.

"I know," she reassured him gently, wanting to offer the same comfort as he had her. "No expectations, no pressure. But just know that whatever happens between us, whenever it happens is because we both want it, McRannall. Because I want you. If you'll still have me after a line as cheesy as that." Wrinkling her nose slightly at herself, the politician giggled before giving his hand one final squeeze and following his lead into his apartment.

Upon entering through the black front door, Alannah was immediately hit with that familiar woodsy scent of pine and she inhaled deeply, already feeling like she was at home to a certain extent, because how could she not? She looked around as she slowly made her way in, taking in the grey of the walls, the plush brown sofa with the blanket strewn on it that she could imagine Cian wrapping himself in and settling down with on an evening with his chocolate ice cream and Kahlua to watch a movie. It was definitely a bachelor pad but Alannah was fully enjoying immersing herself into this side of his life as she admired the odd picture on the wall, or the cup he'd last used that now sat upon his coffee table. Her enjoyment showed upon her expression as she whipped around towards the bar when a glass of red was offered her way.

"Oh my gosh, this little thing has your dad's name written all over it!" She beamed as she wandered over, shrugging out of her jacket and hanging it up before allowing her fingers to drift over the surface of the bar. "I would love one, thank you." Then with a nod, she had been about to say more when she became distracted by a glass door that looked to open up to outside. Now very clearly drifting from her drink, Alannah made her way over to it and upon noticing that she was in fact looking out onto a balcony, she nearly let out a squeal of excitement. "Oh man, can we take the drinks out here?" She asked, spinning to face Cian once more with all of the excitement of a five year old child. "We could take out the blanket too, to keep us warm? It's so damn cool that you have your own balcony, McRannall. The things I would do..."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back