• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern More Than An Assignment

It was strange walking outside from a fight for their lives into the cheery afternoon sun. Bird song mixed with the hum of a city greeted them as they made a dash for the car. Alannah seemed to connect the dots to his injury; her gentle hands coming up to hold him still as she assessed the damage. He cradled his arm tight to his body, finding the most relief in that position. With his good arm he reached to brush a strand of hair back behind her ear, she was shaking and he wished he could hold her tight to him and ease away all the terror that coursed through her.

"Everything will be ok, Sunshine." He told her as she decided that a hospital would be their next stop, He could feel the familiar rush and drain of adrenaline as they climbed into the car. Once again they were safe, at least for the moment. As Alannah pulled away from the curb Cian kept his eyes peeled on the building, hoping that nothing would follow after them. He released his breath as the took several turns and as far as he could tell nothing was following after them. Alannah's quiet confession had him turning his attention to her, immediately his features softened as Alannah came to terms with the events of the morning.
"You saved my life." He told her, pride filtering through his chest. "Seems like we're even now." His tone was light, he didn't want to cause her anymore pain. "You have nothing to be sorry over." Cian couldn't help it, he reached over with his good hand and gave her thigh a comforting squeeze. "It's all over now." But he spoke too soon.

Cian's phone rang once again and after some doing he managed to dig it out of his pocket, he frowned when Booker's office line showed up at the caller ID.
"Hello?" Cian held the phone up to his ear, his body freezing at the voice that greeting him.
"McRannall, I think you've taken something that belongs to me." Sal West's usually cool voice was filled with grit, he could all but picture the man grinding his teeth.
"I don't think so." Cian spoke, his voice doing nothing to betray the fear trickling through him.
"I do believe that you were let go this morning, so none of this is your concern anymore. However I am more than happy to add a little more to your severance to ease this transition. I know that Miss. Hesmati is an easy woman to get attached to, but don't kid yourself McRannall, she's just using you to complete her agenda. It's how politician's are." Sal crooned, clearly thinking Cian's involvement would easily be solved by throwing cash at him.
"No." Cian was about to hang up when Sal's dark voice had him frozen once more.
"Albert St. heading northbound to St. Barton's emergency right?" Cian's eyes flicked to a nearby street sign, gulping when he saw they were in fact on that very road. "Just passing 52nd street now. About to make a left turn. Come quietly and I'll make sure I kill you first so you don't have to hear her screams. You won't escape me... boy."

Cian didn't waste a second hanging up. As quickly as he could on handed he texted Theo.

Cian 1:23
Get out of there now!

Once it was sent Cian took his phone and rolled down the window. Without a second thought he tossed it out and reached for Alannah's pocket. Normally he would have been blushing madly under any other circumstance. Once Alannah's phone was in hand that went out the window too.

"Keep driving love. We need to get out of the city." He directed.

Cian’s words comforted Alannah on a level that she couldn’t express. She had shot somewhat, yes. Had she ever thought she would be capable of something like that? No. However, the important caveat to note was that if she hadn’t taken that opportunity, Cian might not be with her now and that was a risk she could never have taken. She had acted in defence of the man she cared deeply about, and it wasn’t as if she had killed anybody. Just wounded. Although she couldn’t help but think of the headlines that might occur as a result of the incident.

Taking a steadying inhale with her eyes fixed on the road, she nodded ever so slightly at the suggestion that they were even, the ghost of amusement flickering across her features only for it to be replaced again moments later by the churning anxiety of where this situation was going to leave them. And if she was honest… she and Cian would never be even in her eyes. Not even close.

On the contrary to what Cian said to try and comfort her, Alannah felt like she had lists to be sorry for. If she hadn’t been so stupid, so reckless, perhaps they wouldn’t be in this situation. Of course, she didn’t yet know how deep the case ran, how it might have found a way back to her anyway, regardless of whether Adam’s plan would have worked or not. That was something they were about to find out for themselves.

The politician managed another small smile when Cian reached out to squeeze her thigh, before she settled into trying to concentrate on the road when his phone rang. Or rather, she did until she felt his body tense beside her, his tone conveying all that she needed to hear to know that something was up. As much as she could do, Alannah tried to breathe as she moved herself through the monotonous task of braking, accelerating, shifting gears, but all the while her heart pounded in her ears in anticipation for whatever Cian was listening to. When he hung up and started tapping on his phone, her features marred into a frown. “What is it? What’s wrong?” But then before he answered her, he was winding down the window so that he could throw his phone out of it, the metal device splattering on the floor with a crack.

“Cian! What—“ She hadn’t been expecting the warm hand searching for her pocket, either. It was tucked neatly into one of the front pockets of her jeans and when she realised what he was doing she shifted her hips slightly so that he had better access, all the while trying not to swerve off the road when his fingers brushed her thigh. When he threw that out of the window too though, her eyes widened in horror. “What the hell, Cian? What’s—“

His next statement however, sent chills down her spine. “B-but we can’t, you need to get to the hospital. You’re hurt.” One glance at his expression though caused her to swallow against the panic rising in her throat and she took a left towards the motorway despite herself. “What’s going on?” She breathed. “Who was that, on the phone? And why do we need to get out of Kirkbridge?”

Meanwhile, back in Sal’s office, the older man curled his thin lips into a smile as he punched in a number to his phone. “Albert St, heading northbound. You know what to do.”

The little hatchback pushed forward as Alannah accelerated. Cian rolled up the window, grateful that despite her questions, Alannah had trusted him to lead her to safety. The car merged onto the highway, joining other cars as they made their way home from their nine to five. Cian twisted in the seat, looking back for anything that might prove suspicious, he kept his eyes peeled as he opened his mouth to tell Alannah about their next course of action.

"That was Sal West on the phone. He bought Booker and Sons last night and sent my boss on an early retirement. I think he realized that he could follow us with the tracking program Theo put on our phones." So far nothing behind them, Cian winced a little as his shoulder bumped the seatbelt strap as he twisted some more. God, he hoped Theo and the guys made it out of there. He'd find a way to contact them as soon as he could safely do so. "Sal was reading off what road we were on and the turns we were making, he would have followed us straight to the hospital. He's really not pleased with us it seems."

Unable to keep his position anymore from pain Cian turned back to facing the front. "You're doing great Sunshine. I'm so sorry that this is all happening." All Cian wanted to do was take Alannah away from all of this terribleness, she worked so hard for her city and this was the sort of repayment she got? Once he got his hands on Sal West and all of his lackeys he would make sure they spent eons atoning for their sins. "We're gonna get through this- Shit!" As he spoke the passenger side window crunched as the car next to them swerved in from their own lane. Cian eyes jumped up to the lone driver, who leered in at them from his SUV window, a cruel smile painted over his features.

"Keep driving!" Cian called, reaching with his good hand behind him to draw out the gun they'd swiped. He had no chance to check the ammo, but he knew that only two shots had been fired so it stood to reason they had a few more left. The driver pulled away, and then twisted the wheel once more, bringing the car into them once more, this time crunching the door on Cian's side and sending the window raining down on him and the road. His arm shook, but Cian acted with all of his training and instinct combined, forcing the pistol up and cocking back the hammer and taking aim.

Cian was no killer, and with how little aim he had control over he brought the barrel of the pistol up and aimed towards their attackers tires. With a gentle squeeze the gun went off and missed, Cian growled doing his best to keep steady despite the pain and jostling of the car. Their attackers car came hurtling towards them once more, and Cian let out another shot, this time his mark hitting true. The tire, caved in on itself, the rubber no longer protecting the rotor from the concrete road, sending sparks up as the driver slowed, trying to gain control of his car.

Cian had been about to take a breath of relief when another shot sounded out and his back window exploded.

Last edited:
"Shit, Adam told me about that earlier, I'm so sorry, Cian." That pang of guilt hit again, one that Alannah tried to shrug off for the time being. If Sal West now owned Cian's company, there was no way Cian's job would remain in tact after this and that would mean he'd no longer be able to work, to work with her... But even as the thought crossed her mind, she hardly even dared consider it. Her life without Cian in it just didn't seem plausible anymore; he'd made too much of an impact and she cared about him too much to just let this go. That's what she had been about to tell him, before they were interrupted back at the drug safe site. Those were the words she had swallowed back, that still lingered, that she needed to say when the time was right. Unfortunately, right now wasn't that time as Alannah widened her eyes when he went on to tell her that it had been Sal on the phone and that he'd been tracking their location. "He's fucking unbelievable," she muttered, "I mean I knew the guy was crooked but this? This is so much worse than anything I could ever have imagined."

The politician let out a sigh at Cian's gentle reassurances and she shook her head slightly in return, about to tell him that he had nothing to be sorry for when suddenly the car gave an unnerving jolt. Scrambling with the wheel, she glanced over to see the black SUV growing ever closer, the panic descending upon her in a rush of adrenaline. Alannah floored the accelerator, but the small hatchback wasn't fast enough to avoid another crunch, which this time saw Alannah turning the wheel into the same direction as the SUV to avoid them being pushed off the road completely. "Fuck, Cian, I can't, we can't--" The shattering of glass cut her off and Alannah let out a yelp, her arms trembling from the exertion of trying to keep their car on the road. The next time she glanced over she saw what Cian intended to do with the gun held firmly in his shaking hand and she braced herself as the blow out of the tyre, partnered with the screeching of metal along the tarmac filled the car and their ears. She took this as her opportunity to try and floor it again but just as she was seeing some light at the end of the tunnel, the second gunshot rang out, this time the shattering of the glass eliciting a scream from her. They were shooting at them, which meant that there was no doubt... Sal West wanted them dead.

"Cian," Alannah whimpered, "Get down. You need to get down, please." Another shot, followed by another, each one causing her instinctively to duck. There was only so long they could keep going for, wasn't there? Their tyre was blown, they couldn't keep up their speed, they... That's when the idea hit her as she saw the turn off coming up in front of them. With the quickest of checks out of her wing mirror, once she realised the road was clear she swung the car off the highway, ignoring the red light up ahead and powering through, narrowly missing two other cars that were coming sideways on. "Fuck, okay, I can do this, I can do this," she murmured, mostly to herself as they joined onto another A-Road, this time one that was surrounded by countryside that they had happened upon somewhere along their journey. The next turn she could take onto an even smaller road, she did just that, all the while checking her rearview for any signs that they were still being followed.

"D-did we lose them?' She breathed after several minutes, the car still hurtling down the road, her hands remaining tight on the steering wheel. "Are we safe?"

It was Alannah's quick thinking and skilled driving that once again had them leaving any threats well behind them. Cian forced himself up from his duck as they pulled off the freeway onto a pothole riddled road that had only a few trucks and farmers plodding along. City scape turned to farmland and old homesteads that had weathered many generations. Neither one of them took in the quaint scenery however as they frantically scanned the road for anything that looked like it might be after them. The small road they sped over had the city right behind them, it's tall skyscrapers nothing more than shapes in the distance now as they drew further and further away from Kirkbridge.

"I think we did. Are you hurt Alannah?" Cian turned his eyes away from the road to the small incredibly brave woman next to him. He reached out with his good hand, pushing the hair that had fallen loose from her pony behind her ear, his eyes scanning her for any indication that she'd been hit. "You saved us." He told her, and despite everything he flashed her a smile full of pride. "We'd better keep driving a while longer, just to make sure we really lose them." He said leaning back against the seat and grunting in pain. He waved away any of Alannah's attempts to pull over and check on him, telling her they would get to it once they were safe.

Hours trickled away, and Cian was grateful he'd filled up the petrol tank before this hell of a day. Afternoon light turned to late evening and with the first of the stars starting to shine above them, they hit a small freeway lined by tall pine trees. Alannah turned onto it and after a few moments they spotted neon signage for a roadside motel. Bright green lighting and arrows pointed the way to "The Emerald Inn" with other small signs listing the notable features of the Inn.

Free parking - Free Wi-fi for one hour - Jet tubs - Under new Management!

Cian snorted at the sight and peered at Alannah. "Let's shack up there. Whadda say?"

"N-No. I'm okay." Cian's gentle touch made her jump, so rigid was Alannah from the adrenaline still pumping through her system. When she realised he was simply brushing the hair that had fallen loose behind her ear though she allowed herself to momentarily relax against his fingers, glancing sideways with a warmth that she hardly dared to express just yet, not until she knew for sure that they were safe.

They continued to drive for a few hours longer, with Cian's words echoing in her mind. You saved us. What she had really wanted to say to him was that they had saved us, and that they made a great team but she hadn't allowed the words to surface in fear of jinxing them, or allowing herself to relax into some amount of comfort, only for it to be snatched away again. Everything about Alannah felt like it was on high alert, like she didn't quite trust this momentary reprieve from danger because as it had several times before, it seemed to have a habit of sneaking up on them when they least expected it. This was the main reason for why the drive continued on in silence until finally, the daytime sunshine began to cast a pinkish, orange glow above the trees, at about the same time that signs for The Emerald Inn began to pass them by on the roadside. It wouldn't have been a place she'd have looked at twice if she had been on her own but Alannah knew that she'd take anything they could get right now if it meant they could stop and take a small breather. Somewhere anonymous, in the middle of nowhere - it was exactly the kind of place that they needed.

Giving Cian a nod of agreement, she turned off when the dirt track up to the Inn finally appeared, the building emerging between the trees alongside several other wooden shack like lodges that looked to be the accommodation of the motel. Each one had an emerald green painted door that might have amused Alannah had she been in any other situation than one in which she was on the run.

Finally pulling the car into one of the spaces outside what appeared to be a reception building, Alannah cut the engine and for a moment just sat there, listening to the sounds of other cars whizzing by on the road and slowly detaching taut fingers from the steering wheel. Once she had glanced around them to ensure that no black SUV was about to pull in as well, she let out a shaky exhale and managed a small smile in Cian's direction. "Come on, let's see what The Emerald Inn has to offer, shall we?"

Upon letting herself out of the car, her body groaned in protest, her muscles aching from the tension that had held them in unnatural positions for too long. Cian's small hatchback was a mess, with shattered windows and bullet holes in the back and sides, but Alannah still clicked the button to lock it as they headed towards the building. God knows what they must have looked like as they entered, a small bell tinkling above their heads to alert whoever was in charge to their arrival. Alannah herself looked haggard with tiredness as she pulled her tie from her hair and let her natural waves hang loose around her shoulders, at about the same time that a youngish woman appeared behind the reception desk, a bright smile plastered on her face that looked as though it might be permanent.

"Hallo there," she beamed, "Welcome to the Emerald Inn. How can I assist ya today?" Alannah wondered how many strange things she had seen in her line of work, for her act to be so well polished.

"Um. Hi. We were hoping to get a room for two, please?"
"Why of course! Let me just see what we have available for you today."

A brief silence followed as the woman, in her bright green waistcoat, tapped and clicked upon the ancient looking computer that sat upon the desk in front of her. "Hmm, it might just be your lucky day! We have one room left. It's one of our newest, complete with the jet tub and a king size double. I presume it is a double you wanted?" Her eyes flickered between Cian and Alannah, but rather than answer, the politician this time looked to her bodyguard. A double was fine with her if it was with him.

When they had pulled into the quaint little parking area for the main lobby of the motel Cian let out a long breath, his body aching. The relief however, that the unique Inn provided was most refreshing. Cian kept his bad arm cradled to his chest as he groaned in the act of climbing out of the car. Without a thought he slammed the passenger door shut and winced as the side window finally gave up the fight and clattered to the ground. His poor car was in quite the state, and he patted the hood gratefully.

"Thanks buddy." He whispered to the car, grateful it had managed to stay together, despite everything. Cian chuckled at Alannah's quip about the Inn and went to follow after her. He read over a bit more signage, his eyes going wide. "Alannah! They have a gift shop! We gotta stop there." They entered the motel and Cian was surprised that such a place existed outside of Las Vegas. The neon signage followed them inside, and brightly coloured palm trees with painted leaves lined the way up to the front desk. Cian spotted the small gift shop a little to the left of the desk and wondered if they had some sleep clothes they could grab.

Alannah took care of most of the speaking as he did a slow circle, taking in the peeling wallpaper and cobwebs in the highest corners. Just as he was about to finish his rotation he noticed Alannah's gaze had turned to him, her gaze a question of whether or not the room sounded like a place they could both stay.
"Let's do it." Cian smiled at the woman, and she returned that practiced customer service lifeless grin on him, her eyes dipping to his arm only for a brief moment. Cian dug out his wallet and was surprised to find the wallet he'd swiped from one of the West's goons. He let out a noise of surprise when he opened the wallet and found a number of neatly folded bills. "How much do I owe you?" He asked the lady.

"Well it's a two hundred deposit." The woman said. "We've got no reservations at the moment, so we can play it by ear for how long you stay."
"How accommodating." Cian murmured as he dug out the bills and handed them over the counter.
"We do try." The woman said, this time a bit of humour entering her ever present smile. She placed the cash in the register and moved to the back wall, opening a small compartment that held the keys for the little cabins around them. Cian expected her to return to them right away, but instead the woman crouched, pulling open a cupboard door and taking a small white box out. When she turned Cian saw the classic red plus sign that indicated the box was a first aid kit.
"Thank you." Cian smiled gratefully at the woman.
"Anytime, you're lodge number 4. Just out the door and to your left." The woman pointed and both Cian and Alannah said their thanks once more before heading out the way she'd indicated.

Cheap little dollar store solar lights lined the walkway as they meandered over to their place of rest. Tall pines loomed around them and Cian found himself wondering what other kind of people hid away at this little Inn. At the other end of the walkway, past the cabins Cian spotted what appeared to be a bikers pub with the same green neon lighting pointing the way to its entrance. It's signage boasted that inside patrons could find slot machines, pool tables and line dancing on Thursdays. They came upon their little cottage which was the halfway point between the lobby and the bar. Cian stepped back, letting Alannah twist the key in the lock and push open the door.

Once she had turned on the lights the two of them stepped into the room and surveyed their safe place. Cian had to hold back a snort of laughter when he saw that the large jetted tub was literally right next to the bed. While the shower area was hidden behind frosted glass tile. The cherry on top however was the bed, its large king frame high off the ground, with a little coin slot near the headboard. A black and white printed sign was taped to the wall- 50 cents for 5 minutes of vibration!

Despite the situation they found themselves in, Alannah had been able to huff a giggle at Cian's excitement for the gift shop, alongside a promise that they would pick a souvenir before they left. They really had come across an interesting motel, she considered as the double room was accepted, much to her relief. It wasn't like they hadn't shared a bed before, although she had to admit that now that something had happened between them, things perhaps felt a little... different. She knew however, that now probably wasn't the time to for her to get too wrapped up in such thoughts though, not when they had far too much to think about without her adding to their ever growing list.

Cian took control of the rest of the conversation, while Alannah peered around at their surroundings, taking in the coloured palm trees and the neon signs. It was enough to give anyone a headache, and felt like a huge juxtaposition to their current moods, but at the same time it was a nice distraction, too. Perhaps usually, Alannah might have been more excitable about it all, but right now she just felt too tired to fully take it in.

Thanking the receptionist as she handed over their keys and a first aid box, Alannah eventually followed Cian back outside, looking around as they walked towards their cottage. "Shame it's not a Thursday," she muttered with a hint of a smile as she noticed the same sign as he did, before they arrived at cottage number four, the number that matched the one on their key. Stepping forward, she twisted into the door and opened it, stepping into their new safe space and pausing when Cian switched the lights on. The interior was less offensive with its colour scheme than the rest of the Emerald Inn seemed to be, but their choice of organisation left a lot to be desired. Brown eyes fell to the tub and then the black and white sign next to the little coin slot, and there was perhaps a moment or so of pause before Alannah looked at Cian next and then burst out into laughter. "If it wasn't for your arm, I'd suggest we give it a go," she giggled, shaking her head slightly as she moved further into the room. A brief silence fell over them both as Alannah let her fingers move over the green sofa and the matching armchair beside it, before she started towards the small kitchenette that was attached to the living area. "Home sweet home," she murmured, eventually turning to back face Cian once more.

Now that they were alone, it felt as though there was a heaviness that had settled between them, one that at some point they both knew that they needed to address. For now though, Alannah simply tucked her hair behind her ears and shifted towards the bed, taking the first aid kit from Cian as she passed him. "Speaking of your arm, let's get you sorted out, shall we?"

Gesturing for him to sit down on the bed beside her, Alannah very gently reached forwards, her fingers curling into the bottom of his t-shirt. As gently as she could, she took it off one side of him, then over his head and carefully removed it from his bad arm, trying not to stare too much at his smooth torso that now sat in front of her. "Do you think it's dislocated?" She asked him softly, lifting her hand and searching his expression for permission to touch him before pressing cool fingers against his shoulder. "I'm no doctor but I can try bandage you up as best I can. Is that alright?" Then with only a small amount of hesitation, she allowed her fingers to move, up and across his shoulder, towards his neck until they reached his jaw, her brown eyes following them until they met his own and then... stayed there.

Alannah's burst of laughter had Cian doing his best to keep his full body laughs to a minimum, as each intake of breath made his shoulder twinge. After everything that had happened between the two of them, Cian was most certainly aware that the two of them were both alone and in a room where there was lots of opportunity to get... creative. He watched her as she stepped further into the cabin and took in the small living area they could safely call their own. Plans and actions would have to be taken, but for now- they could rest. Alannah's attention moved back to his arm and Cian tried to shrug it off like it was nothing but the motion made him wince once more.

"Well if you're the one patching me up and not the other way around, I suppose that mean's I'm doing my job alright." Cian told her, trying to make light of his current state as he obligingly sat down next to her. He wasn't sure what her plan was but when she reached for his shirt his brain just about stopped working. Her touch was gentle as she slowly lifted the shirt and did her best to maneuver it off of him without causing him pain. Her clever eyes looked over the state of his shoulder and when she sought permission to touch him he gave it with a short nod.

"It might be. I think a sling might do me some good, but before that..." Cian trailed off as Alannah's exploratory fingers made their way over his shoulder, to his neck and finally his jaw, leaving warm sparks in their wake. His eyes jumped from her hand to her face, eventually finding rest in the warmth of her brown eyes. "There's this technique..." He tried once again to speak, but all he could think of was her. She was here, right next to him, touching him. "... It helps pop the shoulder..." He couldn't have pulled away from her, her pull was too powerful, too good. "It's... It's... Ah, fuck it." He murmured, his gaze dropping to her mouth seconds before he tilted forward and captured those sweet pouting lips with his own.

His good arm wrapped around her waist, tugging her tight to him, his shoulder be damned. Alannah's mouth was just as sweet as the rest of her, and he wasted no time delving deeper into the pleasures he'd captured a taste of earlier that morning. She was like a live wire in his arms and he couldn't get enough. The technique he'd been trying to describe to help pop his shoulder in was lost in the wake of his desire for her. He'd have given anything to spend the rest of his life with her like that against him. Alannah was perfect, powerful and every bit of the woman he'd fantasized her to be. A moan escaped his lips as he came up for air, his shoulder throbbing now in his eagerness.

"Ouch... Shit." Cian winced again, pulling back to adjust. A wicked smile spread over his features as he looked at Alannah. "Worth it." He told her.

Something in the air between them changed as Alannah's fingers explored and as Cian's words petered out. Their eyes locked and suddenly they were once again communicating without words, without needing to say much at all. They seem to be growing ever closer in the small distance that was left between them until Cian's gaze dropped to her mouth and that was the final straw.

Their coming together was softer this time, perhaps less urgent but still just as passionate. One of Alannah's arms wrapped around the back of his neck while the other gently cupped his jaw, her small body pressing against his in an attempt to bring them ever closer. Their mouths were gently exploratory and with each smack of their lips they seemed to convey more meaning; that they had both been waiting so long to do this, that it meant more than words could convey, simply that they wanted each other on a level that was more than just lust, or desire. Although there was a healthy dose of that mixed in there too, of course. Alannah only came back down to earth when Cian moaned against her, and she managed a small smile when he pulled away with a wince. The politician's eyes were twinkling as the wicked smile spread across his features, and she couldn't help but giggle, and she certainly couldn't hide the blush that swept across her cheeks, or the redness of lips that had been captured.

"Are you okay?" Alannah breathed, gently moving her hand down to his shoulder, the smile remaining upon her features as she then proceeded to cup Cian's cheek and lean her forehead against his. "You know, you really should have avoided an injury like that. Think of how much fun we could be having on the vibrating bed right now if your shoulder was good." Her suggestion was permeated with soft laughter before she leaned in once more and kissed him again, slower this time, deeper and longer. When she eventually pulled back, their foreheads remained pressed together.

"I meant what I said earlier," she told him, her gaze remaining downcast. "I'm sorry. About everything. And I don't regret what happened on the bandstand. Not even a bit."

She chided him playfully, forcing Cian's eyes to wander over to the change dispenser. "That is a shame." He agreed, leaning into her touches. When she kissed him again he let himself down in the sweetness that was Alannah. She took care to ensure his shoulder wasn't jostled again. When she broke the kiss he expected her to pull away, but her forehead pressed to his and he closed his eyes, loving the way they both couldn't seem to stop touching one another. He'd been about to joke that both of their love languages appeared to be touch, but Alannah beat him to the punch with her apology.

"I'm sorry too... Getting angry with you was no way to communicate with you." Cian said, opening his eyes and leaning back to peer at Alannah. With his good arm he reached out to clasp her hand in his own, their fingers lacing automatically. "I'm happy you're safe, you shouldn't have to apologize for wanting to live your life normally. Those bastards are the ones who should be sorry." Cian didn't want to dwell on the idea that he could have failed her, his mind turning dark and violent at the idea. "I've been going crazy, dreaming about what kisses with you would be like." Cian told her, forcing his brain to focus on the here and now. "I think I'll be going crazy even now that I know... you're addictive as hell Ms. Heshmati." Cian chuckled and gave her hand a squeeze. "Can you help me with this, so I can hold you again?"

Cian took Alannah through the process of popping his shoulder in, remembering it from when he'd gotten his first aid training. Alannah followed through on the process and he only let out one noise that could have been considered unmanly when the joint slid back into his socket. The first aid kit was well stocked and soon Cian was in a sling with a few painkillers fuzzing away the discomfort. Cian thanked Alannah with an enthusiastic kiss as she tried to walk away and store the kit in the little kitchenette. Cian settled himself on the bed, leaning up against the headboard and as he was shifted the bed sloshed a little making his brow lift. A vibrating water bed? God what kind of place was this? He laughed a little enjoying the strange sensation.

Cian dug his wallet and the one he's taken from the goon and placed it on the bedside table. He hesitated a moment, wondering if now was the time to snoop through it. Cian broke to his own curiosity and opened the black leather and began pulling out the lackeys cards and cash.
"Fucker had a library card... and he did this to you?" Cian said as Alannah began to wander back towards him. "Can you say irony?"

Now that they had bridged the final gap of admitting that they felt something for one another, neither Alannah nor Cian could seem to detach themselves from the other. It felt as though they had waited so long, told themselves it wasn’t possible, or that it shouldn’t happen, only for them to have contained the feelings until they escaped of their own accord. She only smiled at her bodyguard’s gentle apology, running her thumb along the top of his hand that was now interlaced with hers. His admission made her smile even further and Alannah appeared bashful as she looked down at their fingers. “Me too,” she confessed. “I’ve wanted to be able to do this for so long.” His next statement however, had her grinning properly. “And you think you’re not, Mr McRannall? If we carry on like this, we might have a problem.”

The light teasing made a nice break from the doom and gloom that had brought them here in the first place and the next half an hour was made only lighter by the gentle way that Alannah was now able to comfort Cian, the way that she caught his yelp of pain when she popped his shoulder back into place with another kiss, or peppered her lips along his jaw and down his neck to try and distract him. Therefore, it came as no surprise when he pulled her into an enthusiastic thank you kiss before she finally detached herself for long enough to carry the first aid kit through to the kitchenette to find a home for it. “Hey, we should pop out to that canteen we saw earlier in a little while,” Alannah suggested as she looked through the cupboards to find them empty. “Grab something to eat, if you feel up to it?”

When she turned though, she noticed the wallet in Cian’s hands and started to make her way back over. She had been about to clamber up onto the bed when she paused after feeling it slosh, her eyes widening in surprise. “Woah. I’m not sure how I feel about all of this water being so close to the electrics,” she mused, attempting to pull herself towards where Cian now rested up against the headboard. Eventually she managed to come to settle beside him, looking over the wallet he was now rifling through. “I’d better make sure he gets added to the blacklist,” she said softly, letting out a sigh that was indicative of how her mind was trying to catch up with itself. “Do you think we should find a way to tell the detectives what happened? It’ll put Benjamin in the clear, at least. I don’t know if they’ll believe us about the Wests but I’m not sure what else we can do. Everything just feels so… messy. I should probably ring Stuart too, when I can. He’ll no doubt be having kittens when he catches word of all of this.”

A brief silence fell over them then, one in which Alannah eventually found herself looking over at Cian once more, seeking solace in her biggest comfort. Her lips twitched just a little and she leaned down to place another small kiss upon his bare shoulder. “You know, you should probably put a top on,” she started gently, trailing more kisses across and towards his neck around a smile. “Or don’t… I don’t mind.”

"I guess we better not forget our keys in our back pockets." Alannah's own discovery over the water bed had him laughing in agreement over their proximity to the outlets. She shifted closer to him, leaning over and resting against him as he rifled through the wallets contents. When Alannah had situated herself he passed her a small stack of cards for her own perusal. Alannah's questions had Cian frowning as he wondered what on earth to do about everything.

"Well..." He mused, looking over at Alannah apologetically. He'd forgotten about this little tidbit of information. "I did have the opportunity to tell the detectives about some things, but I may have discovered that they were the ones who set Benjamin on you. They wanted more evidence on him and that was how he knew where we would be. After I realized they used you as bait, I couldn't trust them. We should speak to the police, you need to ring Stuart and I have to make sure Theo got out of Booker and Son's alright." It was then Cian realized that neither one of them had a phone anymore. "I suppose tomorrow, we'll head out to the closest town. See if we can get a burner phone and look into some car rentals. My poor baby isn't going to make it back." Cian could see the small hatchback out of the opened window of the cabin, looking miserable under a lone streetlamp.

"That however is all a tomorrow problem." Cian whipped out more of the lackey's cash that had been on the wallet. "Dinner is on the West's tonight." He told her with a sly grin. A small silence fell over them and when Alannah bent to press a light kiss to his shoulder he sucked in a breath. She all but purred her reminder that he should put on a shirt and Cian sagged against the headboard as her lips ventured further.

"We could always do dinner later." Cian amended, absolutely ready to have another taste of Alannah. Despite the painkillers doing their work, Cian felt the twinge of muscle that protested against the confines of his sling and he reluctantly called halt to their kisses. His eyes were full of earnest when he brushed his good hand along her jaw. "I want to be able to properly hold you. I want..." He couldn't seem to find the words to accurately explain how important it was to him that he be a full participant in whatever was happening between them. "I liked your idea on visiting the canteen. Why don't we head on over there?"

The new information about the detectives using her as bait had a frown adorning Alannah's features once more. She had wondered how Benjamin had found them, but she hadn't thought for a second that Guybrush and Smithe had set tried to set the whole thing up... and it had worked. Just not on the right person. "There's really not many people left who we can trust, huh," Alanna muttered as she proceeded to flick through the cards in her hand, wondering what someone like the guy who had smashed up her apartment would order from Starbucks to earn him so many loyalty stamps.

As Cian formed a plan for the following day, Alannah nodded and looked over to his car at the same time as he did. "He's served us well," she confirmed, with a short squeeze to Cian's leg before he was whipping out more cash for their dinner. Their kisses in the end, proved to be only a momentary distraction, one that she was having difficulty pulling away from but she did, reading the warmth in Cian's eyes as he tried to explain himself. She understood, of course she did and she hummed slightly as his fingers stroked along her jaw, letting out a short exhale. "Okay," she agreed softly. "The canteen it is."

It didn't take them long to gather themselves together and head out into the cool evening air, to walk the small wooden path that led them to the eatery they had spotted earlier. There was a warm glow coming from inside, complete with more multi-coloured palm trees and when Alannah opened the door, the smell of fried food and the sound of muffled, friendly chatter from the few people who were in there brushed against their senses. They were immediately greeted by an over enthusiastic server in a green baseball cap, who led them over to their own booth in the window and pushed plastic menus under their noses before disappearing off to the next table who had waved to catch her attention.

At first, Alannah scoured the menu, having realised that she hadn't eaten properly since... before she could remember, her stomach aching slightly in protest now that she was settled enough to think of something other than what she could do to ensure her and Cian's survival. After a little while and once they'd ordered their food, she settled with her wrists on the table, gaze slightly troubled as her mind ran over the events of the day. There was one part that stood out to her though, that had been niggling at her mind since it had first been brought to light, her curiosity just now finally getting the better of her.

"Hey, can I ask you something?" She braved eventually, forcing herself to meet Cian's gaze. "You don't have to tell me if you don't want to but I just..." Alannah took an inhale. "Adam told me something earlier about... something that happened on your last job. Something about a kid and a mistake? I didn't know whether to believe him or not because I'm pretty sure he was using it to try and come between us but I guess I wanted to ask you about it, so you had a chance to give your side too, you know? If you think I'm out of line though," Alannah smiled a little as she continued. "Tell me to shut up and I'll go back to dreaming about the ice cream sundae I'm going to order for dessert."

Cian immediately loved the little neon bar tucked away in the woods. Flashing lights overwhelmed the senses while sticky menus boasted far too many meals for an average kitchen to reasonably uphold. Once they'd settled near the window Cian peered around outside, giving the walkways between the cabins a good scan before looking down to the menu. His stomach rumbled in desire over a large plate of pasta and three helpings of garlic bread. He gave his order with an eager smile and thanked the server before turning his attention back to Alannah when she asked her question. The look in her eye sobered him from his garlic bread anticipation and he leaned forward to listen.

As Alannah spoke he felt the cold rush of shame straighten his spine. It had been difficult to keep eye contact as she asked him about what had been one of the biggest mistakes of his career. She offered him an opportunity to share his side of the story, and while he was grateful he wasn't sure the good it would do. His eyes turned down cast and he reached for the nearest thing to fiddle with. His fingers circled the napkin and he slowly began to unravel the utensils from it.

"I'll tell you about it." He conceded after a moment. "Jesus, those bastards have their fingers in everything." He said mournfully, finally after a moment he lifted his gaze to meet Alannah's and shared his side of things. "The job I was assigned to before this one- oh." Cian's mouth formed a circle as he suddenly realized that he was no longer employed. A big whoosh of breath exited his lungs and he had to sit back against the cushions of the booth. A hand lifted to scratch at his neck. "Sorry, as I was saying. I was assigned to protect this man, Gavin Coleman. Big wig CEO in the hotel business. He specialized in resorts overseas and had recently discovered that a number of his staff were using his resorts as a front for some drug dealing. He cracked down hard on it and they actually helped the police in catching the guy in charge of the whole operation. I was assigned to watch over him as the case went to court. It was huge, lots of press attention as well as attention from those who wanted their leader to go free." Cian's hand reached out and he clasped Alannah's hand. It felt right to tell her everything, and he so appreciated her listening to him. It occurred to him that he had never really told anyone his side of things.

"I knew Gavin had kids, and I remember him telling me that he'd send them to stay with his mother up north while the case was still active. Unfortunately I didn't really remember the second part at the time, so when they broke in one night yelling and screaming that they would shoot his family I didn't question it. Turns out one of the goons was using his own kid as bait to draw me away. Looking back on it now I can see how staged it was. The kid struggled and managed to get away, I thought they were just scared and running away, but they just wanted to have a clear line to Gavin. I pieced it together too late..." Cian's eyes dropped, ashamed at this part. He could remember the look of wonder on the kids face as they had run into the nursey of the family home. A wicked smile taking the place of the tear stained terror as they knocked over a doll house, sending porcelain smashing to the floor.

"Gavin was shot twice in the chest, thank fuck he survived. The case had to be pushed back since their key witness was in no condition for court preceding's. I was pushed to desk duty, the press from the whole event brought a lot of bad light on Booker and Sons. I offered for them to fire me but Booker wouldn't hear a word of it." Their drinks arrived along with their appetizers and Cian took a healthy glug of his beer. "And that's that... Perhaps it's a good thing I'm out of a job now. I think I'm too soft to get the job done." He chuckled a little at his own self deprecation, his shoulders sagging slightly.

The change in Cian was palpable and at first Alannah wished she hadn’t asked him, wished she wasn’t about to put him through reliving something that still clearly affected him. She didn’t even really know why she’d asked, probably mainly out of curiosity and a desire to get to know him better but also maybe there was a small part of her that desired to comfort him too, to hear his side of the story and put right whatever Adam had said to her.

Hazel eyes watched the bodyguard as he seemed to inhale to gather himself and Alannah moved her legs in between his in a small display of support, but for the most part she simply… listened. The only time that she moved was to gently grip his hand in return, her thumb moving backwards and forwards over his warm skin as she considered the position Cian had been put in and watched how the weight of the consequences still weighed heavily upon his shoulders. For a small while after he had finished, she remained silent so that she could take in the information, so that she could process it and formulate the words that she wanted to say to him. It was only when Cian’s self-deprecation made itself known that Alannah’s expression softened, her heart aching at the thought that he thought of himself as not good enough for his job.

“Cian…” Alannah breathed, taking his hand this time into both of her own. “It wasn’t your fault.” She wondered if anybody had ever said that to him before. “Imagine if the kid had been your client’s. Could you really have taken the risk? You never know with guys like that, they could have travelled up north and snatched him from his mother for all you knew.” Alannah gave a small shrug – she had first-hand experience now of how cunning rings of criminals could be, the Wests being a case in point. Had she not been tricked by them herself? She had believed Preston when he’d told her she was needed at the drug safe site and if that had gone wrong… She or Cian potentially wouldn’t be here now. A small shiver ran up her spine as she could barely even considered the thought.

Thanking the server quietly when she brought over their starters and drinks, Alannah wrapped a hand around the neck of her own beer bottle, lifting it thoughtfully to her lips. “Booker did the right thing,” she continued eventually, a small smile tugging at the corners of her mouth. “You’re incredibly talented at what you do, Cian. The best, in my opinion. Remember how against having a bodyguard I was when you were first introduced to me? I would have done anything, anything to have had you out within a couple of days but you turned the whole thing around within a week to the point that I wouldn’t…” Alannah swallowed around the ball of emotion that had suddenly emerged in her throat from nowhere, a small frown and chuckle of confusion spilling from her as she blinked the tears away from her eyes. “I don’t know what I’d have done without you. What I’m going to do without you. You’ve kept both of us alive and you protected me, even when I made it near enough impossible. So don’t you ever think that you’re not good at your job, McRannall, or that you aren’t just… the best person I know.” Alannah sniffed and wiped at the stupid tear that had dripped onto her cheek. “That’s an order.”

Whatever cosmos had come together to create Alannah, had been more than generous with the size of her heart. Now that the story was done and his eyes cleared from those terrible visions of the past he could see her earnest expression. He wasn't sure the sort of response he'd been expecting, but her raw insistence in his merits had not been anywhere near a realm of possibility. He'd expected pity, not reasonable logic in the face of his demons. Alannah's impassioned speech had his own ball of emotion clogging his throat as she ordered him to think better of himself.

He couldn't keep still anymore, and since his words would have come out watery, Cian let his actions speak for themselves. He rose from his side of the table and came around to the booth Alannah was situated in. The booth certainly wasn't made to house more than one person, let alone a person with the same mass as Cian, but he enthusiastically scooted close to Alannah, not even minding how most of his thigh was hanging off the seat. He bent and pressed a kiss to her temple.
"Thank you." He finally whispered. "I'm here for as long as you'll have me Alannah. We're a good team, you and I." He nuzzled into her further, his good arm wrapping around her shoulders to hold her tight to him. "It's like we unconsciously decide to take turns for who gets to be the annoying one for the day." He chuckled, his head lifting in greeting as the server returned once more with heaping stacks of food. The server didn't react to Cian's new seating arrangement, and merely placed the plates in front of them with the same wide smile as before and wished them a pleasant meal.

Sadly eating under those close quarters conditions was next to impossible and Cian regretfully returned to his seat. "I don't think you were near impossible to protect either. You were very clear with where you were going and what you wanted to do, and when things got dicey you gave it everything you had." Cian lifted his beer up, deciding there was no finer time to give a toast.

"Here's to trust. The kind you have in me and the kind that I have for you. You'll come back swinging Alannah and the West's wont be prepared." Their beers clinked together and Cian smiled at her from across the table. The conversation turned to more pleasant things, and with a few beers and a heart meal floating through their systems the events of the day were put aside to think of later. For now they had each other, and they were safe.

While the two of them debated which celebrity would be cast as them when the movie of their lives came out the Sal West hurtled a champagne bottle against the mantle of his fireplace, glass and bubbly cascading down onto the old rug. He'd brought the bottle up to celebrate the removal of the thorn in his side that was Heshmati. He was behind on shipments by more than a month now, and his clients were ready to start looking elsewhere.
"Fucking community initiatives." He growled as he lit up a cigar.

Cian trying to squeeze into her side of the booth made Alannah giggle softly, but when he nuzzled into her, kissing her temple she all but leaned against him in return, seeking to both comfort and receive it in their vulnerabilities. It meant the world to know that Cian would stay with her, she hadn't truly expected anything less but now that he was no longer contractually obliged well... the fear had crossed her mind that he could wash his hands of all of this, as it possibly would any rational over thinker. As he chuckled though and now feeling completely reassured, she cupped his cheek and smushed her lips against his nearest one, humming in agreement until the server interrupted them with the rest of their food.

Wiping the remaining tears away from her eyes, Alannah took solace from the knowledge that Cian didn't think she had been impossible, even though at times she had made mistakes, and she settled into raising a toast to them by lifting her beer bottle, eyes shining under the multicoloured lights at the handsome bodyguard across the table from her. "To trust," she echoed, and then added, "And to us." Their bottles clinked and that signified the beginning of the rest of their night, which actually turned out to be one of the best Alannah had had in a long while. They laughed, they joked and even attempted karaoke when the booth was fired up, until they left, warm, full and happy back to their little cottage, Alannah happily tucked under Cian's arm, her own wrapped around his waist. The double bed certainly wasn't issue as they both clambered into it and snuggled down under the sheets, whispering until the early hours and until sleep finally stole them away from each other, only for them to wake a few hours later still in each others' arms. Morning kisses and cuddles, Alannah realised, were some of her favourites.

After returning to the onsite restaurant for breakfast, Cian and Alannah found themselves once again at the Emerald Inn's reception, but this time showered and much more fresh faced than when they'd arrived. It was a man who appeared this time once they'd rung the bell, with the same false smile all of the staff had mastered.

"How may I help ya?" He asked, tipping his baseball cap to Alannah which had the brunette trying to speak around a giddy smile. "We were just wondering if any buses pass by out here, that go into any nearby towns?"

"They sure do. Lemme just grab ya both a timetable." Reaching for a yellow leaflet from behind the desk, the man leaned over the surface then as he flattened it out before the two so they could see. "So the bus you'll be wanting is the fifty-two. It's every half an hour which means the next one is due in five. You'll need to catch it just at the side of the road, where the turn in to the Emerald is. If you leave now you should be able to make it."

"Great, thank you."

Meanwhile, back in Sal's study, he was already punching numbers into his phone as smoke puffed from his lips. "I don't give a fuck if they lost them. They'd better find them again, and quickly otherwise they'll learn the hard way how Sal West is not a patient man."

He wasn't sure what he'd done right to deserve these moments curled up against her. Alannah had drifted off to sleep and he stared down at her resting. Now that they were free with their touches and feelings, Cian couldn't seem to stop sharing either with her. Alannah's lips parted on a sleepy sigh and he smiled, his heart finding peace in the moment. It wasn't long before Cian also drifted off to sleep, that same smile still there even in his dreams.

The next morning after breakfast and the rather interesting man behind the counter, the two found themselves running across the street to beat the bus to the stop. The ancient town bus creaked up to their stop and with some effort the driver managed to pry the door open for the two of them to step in. Cian smiled politely at the elderly driver who looked like she would have been more at home in a bingo hall than behind the wheel. Once they'd paid their fare, Cian and Alannah took up the front two seats on the empty bus. As they drove down the small freeway, Cian leaned down towards Alannah and whispered.
"Ten bucks says the Emerald Inn is the front for some weird cult. There's no way all it's workers like customer service."

The Emerald Inn was a halfway point between two small towns, and it took the better part of half an hour before the number fifty two bus saw any other signs of human life. It started with old acreages tucked in between old trees, long winding driveways guarded by gates and small brick pillars. Until finally a dilapidated sign for a town read Runswick, or Runewick, Cian couldn't tell since the fourth letter was missing from the sign. The bus stopped in front of a rustic looking community center, and the elderly women kindly gestured which way one might find the places they needed. The first stop was a locally run convenience store, where Cian picked up a few more medications for his arm and an over the counter phone. Once the teller activated it Cian thanked him and the two of them rushed outside.

Cian was anxious to speak to Theo and ensure his friends safety, and he gave a grateful look to Alannah when she suggested he make the call right then. Plugging in Theo's number from memory, Cian hit dial and held the phone to his ear. While the phone rang, he found solace in reaching over to grip Alannah's hand. He didn't want to dwell on the possibility. Theo answered on the fourth ring.
"Hello?"
"Theo, its Cian." Relief washed over him like a flood, and Cian's shoulders visibly sagged. "God, it's good to hear your voice. Everyone make it out ok?"
"Likewise." Theo said, a smile clear in his tone. "The team made it out, just before West made the connection that we might be on your side. Miguel came in handy with his off the books cabin outside of the city. We're all staying here. Even the girls." Theo chuckled. "They've been driving everyone crazy with the tea parties they've been putting on daily. Everything ok with you two?" Cian bit his lip, suppressing a smile before going over the nitty gritty details of the previous day. When he was finished Theo was silent for a long while.

"Holy shit." Theo breathed. "Well, we can head your way whenever. Whatever you need Cian, we've got you."
"I'll let you know. Thanks buddy. Tell everyone hello for us." Cian said. They said their farewells and Cian automatically handed the phone over to Alannah. "Feel free to call Stuart as well. I'm certain he's halfway to losing his mind by now." He chuckled.

There was absolutely no doubt in Alannah’s mind that the Emerald Inn was the front of house of a cult. She had never seen so many people with such plastic smiles and she giggled about how they were perhaps more at risk in their little cottage than they were at the hands of Sal West. Speaking of which, sitting on the bus and venturing back into some kind of reality felt a little strange. Everything had carried on as normal outside of their safe bubble, yet for them it felt like time had stopped. Alannah instinctively remained close to her companion both on the bus and once they got off it, hazel eyes scanning all the while for any sign that somebody might be watching them, or for anyone who looked even remotely out of place. Thankfully, there was no sign of underhand behaviour, and they were soon set up with a burner phone and some more meds for Cian’s shoulder.

It was true that Alannah was just as keen to speak to her people as Cian was to his but given how close Cian’s company had been to Sal and his people, it made sense for him to go first. She squeezed his fingers with reassurance and held on tight until Theo picked up and confirmed that everything was okay. Leaning into Cian’s arm slightly, Alannah heard most of the conversation, and once Theo was all up to date and their discussion ended, she gave her bodyguard a warm smile and a chuckle at the thought of how out of his mind Stuart was probably going right now.

“I think that’s probably a good idea. I’m ready for an earful about how I should have called him sooner. He probably expected a carrier pigeon or something.” Rolling her eyes but with amusement, the politician detached herself from Cian momentarily to tap in Stuart’s number, her legs carrying her a couple of footsteps away as she paced, waiting for him to pick up. Alannah wasn’t sure why but there was a sense of anxiety flitting about her chest when the phone rang for a fifth time with no answer. Stuart was usually so on it, answering before the first call had even made it through… On the seventh call was when it finally connected and Alannah blurted out before she could stop herself.

“Stuart? Hey, are you okay?”
The voice that responded however, was not Stuart’s voice at all.
“Miss Heshmati, so nice to hear from you again.” Alannah froze as Adam West’s drawling tone sounded on the other end of the line, her blood turning to ice.
“Where’s Stuart?” She breathed, “If you’ve hurt him…”
“Well now, no need to be rude, Alannah. He’s right here with me in your office. I can’t say for how long he will be though, unless you fancy gracing us with your presence?”
“You’re at my office?”
“We are. It really is a nice space you have here, very comfortable.”
“I’ll be there. I swear, if you’ve hurt a single hair on his head, Adam, I—“
A low chuckle sounded and Alannah finally turned and looked at Cian, something close to desperation now written across her paled features. “We’ll see you soon, then, I suppose. Oh and Miss Heshmati? Make sure you come alone. No bringing your little lapdog with you this time.”

The call disconnected and Alannah let out a shaky exhale, running a hand through her tousled waves. “We need to get to my office,” she told Cian, trying not to let the panic overwhelm her. “Adam’s got Stuart.”

Alannah took the phone and meandered a few steps away. Cian took a moment, his arms crossing over his chest as he watched her. Her hair was loose around her face, framing her face as she held the phone to her ear. He'd been halfway to thinking he'd like to take her out for a date that didn't end in disaster when he caught sight of her worried expression. Brows pinching together he took a step towards her, when she finally got an answer to her phone call. Alannah visibly paled, her eyes lacking the amusement they had held moments earlier. Cian was right behind her then, his ears straining to pick up who ever it was on the other line. Alannah turned once the call ended, her eyes wide in fear as she explained the situation.

"When I get my hands on that bastard..." Cian growled, immediately shifting his brain to the next steps. They still needed transport, for half a moment he considered a little car theft, but that was hardly the conduct of a politician. "Alright, lets go." Cian twisted, his body turning left as they started a jog up the street towards what looked like a dealership near the edge of town. It had one of those large inflatable plastic orange tubes with arms, flapping lazily in the wind and it bent low and thrust itself upward in greeting as they stepped onto the concrete of the lot.

"Well howdy!" A voice called, and the couple turned to see a rather small looking man with a white beard and a tan cowboy hat perched upon his head. "Is a fine looking couple like yourself in the market for a ve-hicle" The elderly mans twang had him lingering on the E in vehicle.
"We were hoping you had a rental system actually?" Cian asked, his tone coming out sharper than he meant.
"Well now, why not take a gander at my newest selection, very fairly priced; or else my wife will have my head. Here now little lady, this little SUV is perfect for all kinds of family situations." The man gestured to a car behind him, and then thrust his hand out to Alannah. "The names Dave Jr. a pleasure to meet you ma'am."
"Truly we're just looking to rent. If you have it..." Cian frowned as Dave Jr. once again turned his attention to Alannah.

~

Alannah's office was quiet save for the annoying tapping of Stuarts foot on the ground. It had been a few hours now since Adam had cornered him in here and frankly the initial terror of the situation had worn off and now he was just irritated.
"Do you mind?" Adam looked pointedly at Stuarts foot. Stuart glared at him and instead picked up the pace, this time with both feet.
"Is that better?" Stuart sneered. Stuart had been respecting some sort of aggressive response, but instead Adam slid into a chair next to him, his hands coming up to massage his temples. The gun he held still pointed up at the ceiling and moved up and down as his fingers circled the aching points of his head. "Tough day?" Stuarts asked, unable to help himself, Adam's gaze met his and with a rueful smile he nodded.
"You have no idea."

Cian was on the same page as Alannah almost immediately, and she was grateful for him kicking into action. Their movements reflected their panic and it wasn’t long before they were turning into the small dealership that they’d spotted earlier up the road, to be immediately greeted by a salesman in a cowboy hat. Alannah found herself struggling to listen to him, to think past the images flying around her mind of what Adam could be inflicting on Stuart right about now. In fact, she barely suppressed a shudder as Cian took the lead, or at least that was until the elderly man addressed her directly. The politician blinked herself back into the present then, and took a breath as she scrambled with the part of herself that she was so accustomed to – the organised, personable politician who could strike the best deal for a situation in next to no time at all. Taking a deep inhale, she lifted her hand to give Cian’s arm a small squeeze, in a sort of, I’ve got this manner, before she stepped forwards and beamed a smile at the man who was staring at her so intently.

“So good to meet you, Dave Jr,” Alannah gleamed. “My name’s Alannah Heshmati, and this here is Cian McRannall. We’re hoping you could help us out with a car to rent, something small and nippy, just for a couple of days? We’re from Kirkbridge, so we don’t need anything long-term right now, but our own vehicle packed up and left us stranded, so we really do need your help to get us home as soon as possible. I’d be most grateful if you could show us to your cheapest, most reliable option?”

Dave Jr let go of Alannah’s hand then and squared back his shoulders. “Well now ma’am, I’d be mighty pleased to be of service. Can’t have you and your man out here stranded now, can we? Please, follow me. I have just the thing in mind.” Alannah nodded and glanced at Cian as she was led away, her thoughts once again returning to Stuart.

--

“Daddy’s expectations weighing too heavily on those broad shoulders of yours?” Stuart knew he was pushing it but hell if he wasn’t going down without a fight. He was a well-intentioned guy generally, but he knew his energetic disposition could rub people up the wrong way and if he hadn’t learned how to utilise that.
“Like I said, you have no idea,” Adam growled.
“You’d be surprised,” Stuart retorted. “You think my family didn’t have unrealistic expectations of me going into work for government? Then you’re sorely mistaken, Mr West.” Adam looked up then, his forearms coming to rest upon his knees, his hands, including the one that held the gun dangled between his legs, almost in deflation.

“The difference between you and I is that I was man enough to do the right thing and fight against it.”

--

“We’ll take it. Why don’t you show me to your office, Dave, then we can sort out the paperwork and be on our way? We have urgent matters to attend to back in the city.” Alannah’s patience with Dave Jr and his sales pitch was beginning to wear a little thin, but the cheery smile remained upon her features right up until she and Cian were driving away in a reasonable SUV that would surely get them back to Kirkbridge faster than Cian’s little hatchback could have. Not that Alannah didn’t miss it all the same though.

“Jesus Christ,” she muttered through clenched teeth as she gave Dave Jr one last wave through the window. “Remind me never to go to a car dealership ever again.”

Dave Jr. was a mighty happy man by the time he got them all squared away and pulling off his lot. The man lifted his hat off his power white head in a cheery farewell, and Cian was more than happy to see him in their rearview mirror.

"I bet he's the leader of the cult." He said darkly as they found their way onto the main road. Cian's foot pressed down and the engine rumbled as they sped up. Realization hit Cian then and he reached into his back pocket for the their phone and held it out for Alannah to take. "Do you mind texting Theo and giving him an update. Let him know we may need backup. He'll know what to do." Cian focused on the road, steering around slow moving cars and passing them when he could. His hands gripped the wheel tightly as he did his best to get them back to the city. So much for their peaceful recuperation.

When Alannah had finished texting Cian glanced over to her, a determined look in his eyes. Taking a deep breath; Cian forced out the words that he'd been wanting to say.

"Do you think you could take a long weekend soon?" Cian winced a little, the words coming out wrong in his haste to speak his mind. "I mean when this is all over of course... I just - I have this image of the two of us in a cozy little cabin. Maybe by a lake or something, no cell reception. Just the two of us?" He said the words in question, wondering if that would be something she would be interested in. All of the events they had been through had fully cemented the idea in him, too often his time with her had been cut too short.

~

"I have done plenty of fighting Mr. Briar." Adam muttered, his eyes narrowed towards Stuart. "You don't know the half of what I've done." There was something in the way Adam spoke that struck Stuart and his incessant tapping halted.

"Are you proud of any of it?" He asked, genuinely curious. The question seemed to freeze Adam in place, his eyes lifting to a spot just over Stuarts shoulder as he ran inventory on his past deeds. Adam didn't need to say anything when moments later his gaze dropped to the floor, shame heating his cheeks. "Seems like dear old dad may not have your best interests in heart." Stuart said resuming the tapping of his feet much to Adam's dismay.

"Fuck off." Adam seethed.

~

It was night time before the light pollution of Kirkbridge lightened the sky, hiding the stars away from Cian and Alannah. Their rental was peppy, and they made great time. Cian's mind raced on what to do, Alannah had been asked to come alone and there was no way he would let that happen, but how on earth were they going to get into the building without tipping of the West's or their lackeys?

"I don't suppose you know any ways into the office other than through the front door?" He asked Alannah, trying to formulate a plan.

The suggestion that Dave Jr was the leader of a cult elicited a snort from Alannah who would have bet everything that she had on that being true. Her amusement was short lived however, as they finally got going and were quickly thrust back into the reality of their situation. Alannah did as Cian asked and sent a brief text to Theo outlining their situation, where they were headed along with the suggestion that they may potentially need backup. She would have usually sent something similar to Stuart and her stomach twisted uncomfortably at the thought before she placed Cian’s burner back into the cup holder under the stereo and sat back against her seat, deep in thoughts filled with worry and anxiety. She didn’t notice that her companion was looking at her until he spoke and she found her gaze snapping towards him, eyes wide in brief surprise. But the good kind. Absolutely, the good kind.

“Yes,” she immediately blurted, her lips tugging into a grin. “Yes. I mean, I’d love that. I really would.” The vision of them holding up in their own cosy cabin in the middle of nowhere, sitting wrapped up in blankets in front of a log fire was exactly what Alannah needed right now and her body seemed to tingle at the thought. Instinctively, her hand reached out to grip onto Cian’s arm so she could give it a reassuring squeeze. “Let’s do it. As soon as all of this is over.”

--

“Touched a nerve?” Stuart couldn’t help but smirk despite himself.
“Are you always this relentless? You wouldn’t know that I practically have a gun pointed to your head.”
“It has been said before that I am,” Stuart mused. “Plus, you might have a gun, but I don’t think for a second that you’re going to use it.”
“Oh yeah, and why’s that?”
“Because you’re not the villain your dad wants you to be.”

Adam scowled back at the man sat tied to his chair, but he couldn’t help but feel… slightly understood. For once in his life, he felt a little understood.

--

When the sights of Kirkbridge finally came into view, Alannah’s feelings on seeing the towering buildings were mixed. This was home and it always would be, but right now it felt like they were stepping back into the jaws of the beast, jaws that were ready to close and snap them into pieces at any moment. She wasn’t sure how they could ever get through this to a point where they might be safe again, everything felt so uncertain, so out of control. The Wests had their fingers in every pie possible and that meant it felt like she and her small team of people were trying to go up against the very foundations of the city. She wouldn’t back down though, not when the city that she loved, that was full of the people that she loved, were in danger.

When they finally pulled up a few streets away from her office building, Alannah took in a breath. Adam had demanded she enter alone, but she could tell from Cian’s expression and from his question that he was working overtime to try and think of a way not to allow that to happen.

“There’s a fire escape,” Alannah said after a few moments, “Up the side of the building. It leads up to our floor and brings you in by the kitchen. It doesn’t open from the outside though, as far as I’m aware. I’ll need to go in and open it to let you in… so long as I can get to it without Adam noticing.” Her mind was spinning but after a moment she turned to Cian and managed a smile that didn’t quite meet her eyes. “It’s not the best plan, but I think it’s all we’ve got.” Then finally, she looked back out of the window and up towards the building with a heavy exhale.

“Shall we?”

The scowl from Adam froze as the shrill sound of his cell ringing filled the air. To Stuart it seemed almost as if Adam looked like he considered not answering it. There was a moment where the phone hung limply in Adam's hand while his cold lifeless eyes seemed to frost over with fear. Perhaps it was a trick of the light, Stuart told himself as Adam relented and lifted the phone to his ear. Adam didn't speak and Stuart could hear the faint noises of someone barking orders. Adam's eyes shot to Stuarts suddenly and Stuart watched as Adam's throat visibly bobbed.

"Are you sure?" Adam whispered into the phone, pulling it away from his ear as someone started shouting. Abruptly Adam ended the call and tossed his phone on a nearby desk.
"I don't think that was a good call for me." Stuart said softly, Adams silence was all the answer he needed.

~

Cian regarded the government building with trepidation in his eyes. How on earth were they going to make this work. When Alannah suggested the fire escape he'd been halfway to convincing himself that they could get away with stacking on one another and finding a tall enough trench coat. Her idea seemed far more logical and he reluctantly nodded.
"I don't like sending you in there all alone... but we can't leave Stuart up there any longer." Lifting a hand to run over his hair Cian let out a long sigh and stepped out of the car with Alannah. The met on the sidewalk, the both of them stopping short as they came chest to chest.

There was something about this moment, where their gazes locked and the reality of what they were about to do settled over them. Was it smart? No. Should they notify the police? Probably. Was there anyone else that Cian would rather be doing this with? Absolutely not. If there was anyone he could trust to have his back and push him to fight for their future it was Alannah. his inner super spy came out in full force with the way he reached out to grip her upper arm and tug her closer. His lips brushed over hers once, twice and then settled on her mouth for a deep kiss. When he pulled away his wolfish grin was fully in place.

"For luck." He winked. "Let's fucking do this thing."

The two of them pulled away, Cian making a beeline for the side of the building while Alannah headed for the front doors. Hands on his hips Cian looked up at his path, worrying his bottom lip with his teeth as he did his best to figure out how to grab the ladder that was just out of reach. He backed up a little, deciding to try a run a jump method. It took two tries but eventually Cian's fingers gripped the bottommost rung of the ladder and he felt it slide down. With a grunt of victory, Cian lifted his body and began the long climb up. He did his best to avoid looking down too much and counted the floors all the way up to Alannah's. Once he was certain he was on the right floor he hunched up beside the window, not wanting Adam to accidently see him and waited for his way in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back