• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern More Than An Assignment

BoneBrain

Everything's Shiny Cap'n
Roleplay Type(s)
1656340931296.png
Cian (Key-an) McRannall
Age- 28
Appearance- Cian is built like a rugby player, tall, broad shoulders and the sort of body that enjoys burgers as well as workouts. His arms and one pec is covered in tattoos, a few notable ones being script from one of his favourite songs on his right forearm and the logo of his rugby team higher up on that same shoulder. His dark hair is usually curled into tight ringlets and he is fairly on top of its maintenance. Cian stands at 6.4, he tends to wear woodsy scents that remind one of a pine forest.

History- Cian is a first generation immigrant from Ireland, so he speaks with a soft lilt in his accent thanks to his parents and frequent visits home. Cian plays rugby when his job allows and the sport has always been something that is near and dear to his heart. His mother was the reason the small family packed up their bags from Ireland as she was offered the lead violinist for the city's orchestra. His father took it upon himself to bring a little of Ireland with him, and decided to open a pub in the spot below their apartment, Cian's rugby team often meets there after games. Protecting and serving had always been an interest of Cian's even as a child, and with his stature it was a rather easy climb into the bodyguard field. Cian has been at the job for 5 years now, he has protected a great number of celebrities and government officials. With his line of work he's got quite the pile of stories of the wacky and weird ways of the high class. It hasn't always been sunshine and roses however, Cian's most recent assignment ended rather poorly and he has gone down a few pegs within his employers eyes.

282e622bb6dfa50523ce9bcf2fee7968.jpg
Alannah Heshmati
Age - 28
Appearance - Despite being the eldest of three sisters, Alannah has always been the smallest, standing at five foot four, or occasionally an inch or two taller if she's wearing heels for work. Work often dictates elements of Alannah's appearance. For example, she has naturally dark, wavy hair that she usually tames into a neater, tied up style during office days and her clothes are always chosen with professionalism in the back of her mind. Although that isn't to say if you catch her off duty, her appearance is a whole different story. As well as a small stature, Alannah has a petite frame and fairly toned physique, something she likes to keep in check with a daily run. She also has a small lotus flower tattoo on the inside of her left arm, just above the elbow crease, multiple ear piercings and her signature scent is coconut.

History - As the product of a multigenerational household, Alannah was brought up under the traditional and religious values of both her maternal grandparents and her parents, as well as alongside three younger sisters. Growing up, her parents both worked minimum wage jobs for endless hours and the remaining familial chores were often split between her Nani and Nana and the rest of her siblings. Alannah's upbringing was hectic but vibrant and absolutely the cause of the unrelenting work ethic that she holds now, as well as her passion for making a difference to her community. Living in the same place and under the same roof for her whole life meant that Alannah witnessed firsthand the challenges of a working class family within their town and the older she got the more her desire to change things for the better grew. Alannah worked hard at school, and was the first of her family to go onto college and then University, and then finally a full-time position in government, where she worked her way up to councillor for her local constituency. Although Alannah now lives in her own flat to be closer to her office, she visits home often and still holds dear the cultural and religious roots that she is accustomed to, even if she doesn't practice those things independent of her family.

Last edited:
The office was alive with the bustling of people, phones and paperwork, a kind of busyness that Alannah was only really used to at certain times of the year, such as on election days or during the build up to a vote, for example. Today however, the flurry of people felt a little different, much less fuelled by anticipation and more driven by panic, but then she guessed that’s what happened after an unprovoked attack on the local councillor. After an unprovoked attack on her.

In Alannah’s private office, everything felt a little calmer, almost slightly dreamlike. If she closed her eyes, she could still hear the ring of the gunshot, and the sudden force of a body hitting her own to get her out of the way. So vivid was the memory, probably given that it had only happened a few hours ago, that Alannah found herself forcing her eyes back open and her mind back into the present to avoid falling into the small pit of panic in her stomach that had been trying to raise its head since the shooting had happened. She had given her statement to the police straight after and she had to trust that they would find whoever had put an attempt on her life, to prevent it from happening again. And to prevent them from succeeding.

There was a knock on the door that eventually pulled her out of these thoughts, and soon after came the entrance of Stuart Briar, the chair of the government board for their constituency, and Alannah’s senior manager. They had a tumultuous relationship at times but there was an underlying respect for each other from both sides, and the lines creased into Stuart’s brow as he came to stand in front of Alannah’s desk showed the clear concern he felt for her. Alannah managed a smile. “Rough day?”
Stuart rolled his eyes. “This is serious, Alannah.”
“I know, Stuart. I’ve been told that multiple times since it happened, believe it or not.”

There was a small pause then as he straightened up, almost as though he was gathering his thoughts. “I’ve just spoken to the board of governors about what we need to do moving forwards. Our… My main priority is making sure that we continue to ensure a safe working environment for everybody in this office, but especially for you. I need to keep you safe. You’re important to m—To this town.” Alannah didn’t say anything as she watched Stuart, for maybe the first time in his life, look a little uncomfortable, and that made her feel uncomfortable too. He adjusted his tie slightly and took a breath. “So, it has been suggested that for now, we up the security around here. Just temporarily, until things have blown over.” The brunette nodded slowly, although she wasn’t sure she liked where this was going. “The board wish to hire you a bodyguard.”

There was a pause then, one in which Alannah blinked before finally she couldn’t hold back any longer. “The board wish to hire me a what?”
“A bodyguard.”
“Yes, Stuart, thank you. I heard you and I can honestly say I have never heard anything so ridiculous in my entire life.”
“Alannah—“
“A bodyguard just for me, right? Like a personal bodyguard?”
“Yes. It would just be temporary, while you’re at work until things have settled down or until—“
“No. I’m not going to agree to this. No.”

Alannah stood up then, tucking flyaway bits of hair that had escaped her ponytail behind her ears. “It’s a ridiculous waste of public money that could be much better spent on a community that actually needs it. I’m fine, Stuart. I’m fine.”
“Alannah, you are not fine!” Stuart all but exploded. “You were nearly shot today, do you realise how serious that is? And moreover, the person that did it hasn’t been caught. They’re still out there and they could try it again! We don’t know who they are, what their motivation is. I’m not arguing with you on this. The decision has already been made. The board have contacted an agency and they’re sending someone over today.”

It was all Alannah could do to shake her head in response – she had started pacing behind her desk, her mind whirring with all of the obstacles she could put out to block this from happening. She was stubborn at the best of times, but even more so when she knew she was on the verge of losing a battle. It wasn’t even fully clear why she was so opposed to the idea of a bodyguard – perhaps it was for the reasons she had already mentioned, or perhaps partly it was because a bodyguard, a real human bodyguard, made what had happened today and the possibility of further danger even more real. Alannah was very good at squashing her own worries and anxieties, and a constant reminder of the risk would only make that a much harder task. That reasoning was written somewhere in the depth of her eyes, but what came to the surface was the professionalism that she was much more comfortable with turning to.

“I just can’t agree to this. The board is overreacting. There is always security at the events I attend anyway, can’t we just hire a few more of those when they’re needed? They saved my life today for Christ’s sake, it’s not like they can’t do their jobs!” So involved was she in trying to plead her case that she hardly noticed Thea, her campaign manager, knocking at the door or the presence of another body standing just behind her.

“Sorry to interrupt, Al but—“
“Not now, Thea. Stuart, you have to see how crazy this is! You need to go straight back to the board and tell them that I will not agree to having some… some pumped up, meathead bodyguard breathing down my neck and, and—“
“Al?”
“What is it Thea?!”
“Um, I’m sorry but I have um… the meathead bodyguard here for you and Stuart.”

Booker and Sons protections agency was the sort of place one went for the most professional and efficient bodyguarding services, or at least that was the well recited line Cian had been forced to remember and parrot at potential clients. Being demoted to desk duty for a month had drilled the words deep into his brain, it had gotten to the point where he had started to answer his own personal cell with the words before he remembered his mistake. The familiar tone of the phone ringing had Cian reaching for the desktop phone and answering.

"Booker and Sons protections agency, where you'll find professional and efficient-"
"It's the internal office phone Cian." A tired voice sounded over the line.
"Oh... Uh what's up boss?" Cian scratched at his bearded chin as he listened, entirely too bored to have any sort of embarrassment. He listened for a long moment before nodding and finishing the call with the promise he was on his way. Gently placing down the phone back into its cradle, Cian looked around the bright white modern office, seeing only Sally the office receptionist around before his lifted his hands up to the sky in victory. He was free.

"Based on that expression it looks like I'm losing my favourite assistant." Sally called over the large entry hall to him, there was a chuckle of mirth from the sixty five year old woman. Cian's giant body rose from the desk chair he had managed to fit in and he stood at his full height, making the desk he had been taking up seem dwarfed. Unable to contain his glee at the idea of getting back out there, Cian flashed a wolfish grin at Sally's direction before catching her hand and sweeping her up for a quick spin. The woman laughed, fluttering her hand towards his chest and Cian caught her hand and pressed a noisy kiss to her knuckles making the woman's high pitched twitter of a laugh echo off the bare white walls.

"Away with you then." She told him stepping back.
"I'll miss you Sally, love." Cian proclaimed, his soft Irish lilt coming to life with his excitement. He rushed back to his desk to grab his bag, and rushed to the elevator, blowing one last kiss towards Sally as the doors closed and took him up to Omar Booker, the founder and his boss.

Bookers office as decorated as minimalistic as possible, the white one white of every item giving off a bit of a blinding effect. Cian had to blink away the white spots as he considered folding himself into one of the chairs shaped like an egg that was at the head of Omar's table. In the end it just didn't feel worth the struggle, so he awkwardly perched himself on the top part of the chair.
"There's been an incident and a local councillor was the target of a gunman. I've got no one else right now Cian..." Omar drew out the last word and Cian found he could not meet Booker's eyes. Instead they landed on the manila folder that was being pushed in his direction on the pure white desk. It was clear after things a month ago Cian was stuck very firmly in the dog house, and he had not been the first choice for this assignment. "Everything you need is there, Sally will send you the address for the offices. Cian... Don't mess this up man. I can't afford the loss of any more contracts."
"Yes boss." Cian had to clear his throat and he leaned down and picked up the rather thick file. "Thank you."
"Go on now. I'll expect a full update this evening." Omar dismissed him and Cian hesitated only for a moment before making the quick getaway to the elevator. Since he already had all of his things Cian pressed the button for the garage and opened the folder as the elevator descended the thirty floors.

The first thing that caught his eyes were headshots of his current charge. Her eyes flashed back at him from the glossy photo paper, and he could instantly see the determined glint there. She wasn't smiling in the photo, seemingly posing like one of the old victorian photos and he found himself curious what she would look like with joy taking over her features. When the elevator dinged with its arrival it took him a moment to understand he had been observing her photo for what was probably longer than appropriate. Snapping the file shut Cian dug out his keys and cellphone, seeing that Sally was on top of things as usual sending him the address and a cute little gif of a dog holding a sign saying "I believe in you!"

Chuckling Cian slid into his rather unassuming little hatchback and plugged in the address. He took only a minute more to learn his charges name before pulling away and heading towards the downtown government offices. It was not the first time Cian had been sent there on duty and he quickly found parking and his way up to the main reception. Signing in Cian was led by a rather mousey looking woman who introduced herself as Thea.

Cian followed, his eyes moving over the faces that bustled around the office as people scrambled for damage control. It was clear that such an attack had not been expected. He scanned for cameras and surveillance, pleased that the downtown offices were more than well equipped with eyes in the sky. Thea pulled up short and Cian turned his head, catching sight of Alannah, she was arguing with someone and her words drifted out of the office and to his ears. Meathead? Looking down at himself, Cian supposed he could see what she had meant.

"“Um, I’m sorry but I have um… the meathead bodyguard here for you and Stuart.” Cian appreciated the gumption of the mousy Thea and lifted his hand in greeting.
"Hello." He said pleasantly, and he gave a quick murmur of thanks as Thea stepped to the side and ushered him in the small office. The two of them shared a small grin before Thea closed the door. Tucking his bag and file under one arm Cian raised his hand and offered it to Stuart first. "Cian, lovely to meet you." Turning to Alannah he couldn't seem to help the devilish grin that curved his lips. "Cian, but meathead also works Ms. Heshmati. I promise to try and "keep the breathing down your neck" to a minimum." He teased, wanting to put the woman at ease. He had seen the after effects of those who survived attempts on their lives and knew humour and a relaxed attitude were tantamount to ensuring his charges felt like they could trust him. Once he had a better understanding of her safety and security he would push her to rest and process, too often he had witnessed the crash of adrenaline.

"I'll be needing a copy of your schedule." Digging out a card from his back jeans pocket Cian held it out for Alannah to take. "All of my contact info is on there, I've already been given all of yours from the company, but if there is any other means of contacting you, other than your cell and work phone please let me know so I can add that to my phone as well. I'll do what I can to make this as painless as possible." He added quickly seeing the frustration growing on her face once more.

There was a moment of silence as Cian stepped into the room, one in which all eyes fell to him as he raised his hand in greeting. Alannah, for the briefest of moments was left speechless, something that didn't happen very often. Hazel eyes met Cian's own and then trailed down to shoulders, and then his arms, which looked to be about twice, or maybe even three times the size of her own. He was also much taller than she was and sporting a friendly smile, even after what he had just walked in on. A moment or so later and Alannah realised that she was staring and quickly dropped her gaze in an attempt to recall whatever was left of her dignity, if there was any left to recall at all.

It was Stuart that Cian greeted first, who gladly returned his handshake, and then it was her turn, but before she could say anything she noticed the devilish smile that had crept bright and unabashed across his features as he confirmed that he had indeed heard what she had said. Although thankfully, he didn't seem too bothered by her unashamedly throwing around a somewhat stereotypical description of the kind of person she expected him to be - if anything he looked mainly amused by what he had overhead and in return, Alannah felt the edges of her lips quirk just a little, almost into a smile. The movement disappeared however, almost as quickly as it happened, but the sparkle in her eyes remained for a small while longer, right up until Cian handed his contact information over to her and requested a copy of her schedule.

"It's good to meet you Mr... McRanall," Alannah paused to check his card before lowering it again so she could continue. "And I apologise for what you may have heard before Thea showed you in here. I won't lie to you, and as you may have already gathered, I do not agree with the board of governors' decision to hire you, it seems entirely unnecessary. I mean no disrespect, Mr McRanall, I'm sure you're very good at your job but--"
"Alannah..."
"It would appear that you've had a wasted journey and so I must also apologise for wasting your time. We might be able to reimburse you some petrol money if you have travelled far and--"
"Alannah! That's enough!" Stuart finally interjected, the loudness of his tone cutting her off completely. "I have already told you, this isn't up for discussion. Cian does not answer to you, it is the board who hired him and he will be here to do his job whether you like it or not. Now you can choose to make this easy or difficult, but please remember that we're doing this for your own good." Stuart's voice became softer then, almost with tired exasperation and Alannah could hear it, which in turn softened her own features just a little. "I just want you to be safe, Alannah and Cian can make sure that happens. Just give him a chance, okay? And if things aren't working out after a couple of weeks then... Well, then we can reassess."

Alannah's silence in the next instance spoke volumes, until finally she let out a shaky exhale and reluctantly, gave Stuart a small nod of her head. In no way did she agree with this outcome, but she was smart enough to realise that her hands were tied right now and that arguing further was futile. Perhaps having Cian around wouldn't be so bad, if it was only for a couple of weeks? He'd said he would make his presence as painless as possible, after all. "Okay well, I'll leave you both to it. I'm sure Alannah, your parents are worried about you, you should give them a call." Stuart was right of course, she already had about 50 missed calls on her personal cell and 45 of those were from her Papa. "And Cian, it's good to meet you. I'm sure Alannah will ensure you're well looked after in the next few days and for now, welcome to the team." He gave Cian a nod then and headed towards the door, but stopped short with his hand on the handle. "Oh and Al? Please, take a half day today, alright? You've had a shock and you need to rest. Don't... Don't argue with me. Just do it. Cian, make sure she leaves no later than 1, alright?" Then under his breath he muttered a quiet, "Good luck," before gently closing the door behind him.

As another silence fell over the two left in the room, Alannah's shoulders seemed to visibly slump before she remembered that she was still holding Cian's card in her hand. She looked at it, then up at him. "I'm sorry," she murmured softly, offering a small moment vulnerability without fully realising it. "I don't mean to be rude it's just been... a long morning. And if the board were half as quick to pay out for more funding as they were for you then..." But she let that sentence trail off because at the end of the day that wasn’t the only reason she had been against this decision and there simply wasn’t time now to delve into the others. Plus, she just really didn’t want to, so in the end she straightened up again as if to shake herself out of her momentary lapse, almost as though she'd just remembered where and who she was. "But anyway, seeing as you will be staying after all Mr McRanall, you said you needed a copy of my schedule? Thea can help you with that. I have multiple events running throughout the week and when I'm not at one of those, or out in the community, then I spend most of my time in here. I have an email address that I can provide you with as well as my phone numbers, too." It was almost startling how quickly she could slip back into work mode, almost as though it was as easy as putting on a mask. "Is there anything else you might need while you're here? We could probably set you up with a desk and a laptop if that would be helpful?"

Last edited:
She had that same determined glint in her eyes from the head shot he had looked at for far too long. Alannah had smiled for the briefest moment and Cian took great pleasure in spotting what he was certain was a rare occurrence. He remained quiet, taking in the curt tone as she worked very hard to send him packing far away from her, Stuart abruptly ended her attempt to both placate and get rid of him and he watched amused as Stuart told her in no nonsense terms that Cian was going nowhere. Part of him wondered if she would fight on a little more, and the small office waited in baited silence as Alannah gave Stuart a quick nod. Stuart jumped into action then, encouraging Alannah to deal with personal matters and giving her the order to cut off work early. His orders turned to Cian then and he straightened, forcing his eyes away from the feisty woman he was to protect.

"You've got it." Cian gave Stuart a little salute and turned back to face Alannah when it was just the two of them. His arms folded over his chest, something in him told him to expect more fire and he braced himself for it, but he could see it then, in her quiet apology. Alannah was tired. He was about to open his mouth to assure her that he would keep her safe, even if that meant forcing her to take a moment. Cian generally left his charges to handle their emotional come downs on their own, but for some reason his brain hated the idea of Ms. Heshmati dealing with this on her own. she transformed in front of him then, switching seamlessly back to the woman who had demanded he leave. She effortlessly and quickly ran through his list of requests, offering more insight and information.

"A chair will do me just fine." Cian said looking down at her. He was used to towering over those around him, of people cowering in his presence, it was refreshing to see someone who looked at him with challenge and determination. It was this that made him take a step closer, his folded arms dropping to his side and he carefully studied her. "These event's... do I have to wear a suit to them?" The idea made his nose wrinkle a little, Cian was a jeans and t-shirt man through and through. He hadn't the faintest inkling on how his coworkers managed to fend off attacker and while wearing a tie no less.

"What more do you have to do here? I realise things are busy, but Stuart is right Ms. Hesmati, it's important not to let yourself crash, especially here." Cian's eyes flicked to the window of her office and he took in the towering buildings outside. "Are you hungry? You can show me all the places you frequent in this building... Including the bathroom." Cian winced a little, but it was important he knew where to find her at all times. "Then we can get some carbs in you. A nice big burger... er unless you're one of those vegetarian types." an idea occurred to him and he lifted a finger as he added in afterthought. "Ah a tofu burger then."

“Just a chair?” Alannah looked confused for a moment, as if the prospect of just sitting was somewhat alien to her. In a way, it was. “Well just a chair we can manage, but if you think of anything else, let me know.” It didn’t go unnoticed by the brunette when Cian took a step towards her, but she remained in place, tilting her head back ever so slightly to look at him. There was something immediately comforting about his presence she noticed, something that put her at ease, as though the weight had that had been slowly getting heavier on her shoulders since the shooting had been lifted just a little. Somewhere in the back of her mind, Alannah considered whether maybe Cian’s presence was actually a good thing, but front and centre she was nowhere near ready to admit to that just yet. For now, this was a formality and it would remain that way until she could prove that a bodyguard was no longer needed. It was Cian’s next question that eventually pulled her out of these thoughts again and Alannah noticed the slight wrinkling of his nose, one which brought that small twitch back to her lips again. “Not to all of them, but yes, there will be some events that require more formal clothes. There’s a charity gala this Friday coming that’s a black tie event, for example. Will that be a problem?”

Her smile quickly faded however at Cian’s agreement with Stuart that she needed to rest, and was replaced by a slight eye roll. Alannah knew that Stuart’s order came from a place of concern but she couldn’t help but feel slightly irritated by his assumption that she couldn’t recognise her own needs, even though that was entirely true. The very last thing she felt like she needed right now was someone who could remind her of this 24/7, which inevitably meant that at some point she was going to have to admit defeat. There was a reluctance there to do so though, that wasn’t just born out of her usual stubbornness. The thought of going home to her empty flat and being alone right now just didn’t… sit right with her. While she was in the office surrounded by people, it was easy to forget that there was still someone out there who potentially wanted her dead. What if that person found out where she lived? What if they were there waiting for her…? Alannah zoned out for a moment as she got a little lost in these thoughts, only to be brought back around once more by Cian’s suggestion of food.

“There’s always plenty to do around here, especially right now. As you probably noticed on your way in, things have turned a little… chaotic. This afternoon isn’t really the best time for me to take time out but I’m very aware that if I don’t either you or Stuart might drag me out of here and I’d like to avoid a scene like that if possible.” A small smirk. “So, let’s give you a tour of the place and find the bathroom for starters, shall we? And then food actually sounds… good.” It was a quick change of heart from where her thoughts had started originally, but Alannah figured that going out for food with company was a happy medium between staying in work and being yelled at by Stuart, or going home to her empty flat by herself. “A burger is no good though I’m afraid. I follow a strict vegan diet, and I can’t eat anything with gluten in it. Oh and carbs bring me out in hives so we’ll have to find a plain salad somewhere, I guess.” Giving a small shrug then, Alannah breezed past Cian and made her way to the door, but turned before opening it, a small snort of amusement escaping her when she noticed his expression. “I’m joking, Mr McRannall. A burger sounds perfect and I know just the place. Let’s finish up here first and then we can head out. I know a good tailors on the way too, if you needed a suit for Friday?”

Within the next twenty minutes or so, Alannah led Cian out into the main body of the office and showed him around the floor of the building that it took up, including multiple meetings rooms and the staff kitchen. She introduced him to different people, most of whom were busy on the phone and gave fleeting waves or brief hellos before asking Alannah for her opinion on various different parts of her campaign; wording on posters, editing speeches – the list went on. For a short while, she left Cian with Thea to get a copy of her schedule and when she came back to collect him it was already nearing one o clock. It was easy to see why she was overworked, not that she could recognise that herself. “And finally, as requested, here is the bathroom.” Alannah brought them both to a stop then outside of the door and gestured towards it as though she was providing some grand unveiling. “Although I can assure you Mr McRannall, this is probably one of the places that I’m least likely to require your assistance. I may be small but I reckon I stand a fighting chance against any violent toilet paper.”

Last edited:
Her dry humour had Cian positively in knots and rather confused. It was usually him, with his easy going nature that calmed clients who feared for their lives. Every step Alannah took was with purpose, even now as she moved among the office floor answering multitudes of questions from staff, Cian knew with absolution that she could have carried on for the rest of the day at work like nothing had happened. She had gumption that was certain.

He should probably stop being so charmed by it.

Blinking back into focus, Cian bent his head to go over a few of the finer points of Alannah's schedual, he learned her parking spot, and took in the notion of charity gala's. Certainly he could handle a suit for one night. Thea graciously popped that little bubble of hope, as she shared numerous speaking events and gatherings that were upcoming. Alannah had quite the campaign, and from the way she breezed through the office, it was clear her presence was there in even the smallest detail. Eventually Alannah returned to him, after thanking Thea for her help; Cian followed after Alannah as they wrapped up the tour at the bathrooms.

She was joking with him again, and Cian couldn't help the grin that flashed her direction.

"Ah yes, well in my humble opinion it's the soap that you've got to look out for." Placing his hands on his hips, Cian shook his head solemnly. "Slippery devils." Incredibly pleased with himself Cian turned on his heel and lead the charge outside. The idea of a burger was growing more and more appealing and Cian gestured to Alannah that she should lead the way. He fell into step easily beside her. Training had him looking back occasionally, taking note if they were being followed. Thankfully the lunch rush filled the streets of downtown and Cian was fairly confident that a second attack in the same day was highly unlikely.

"Oh hey!" Cian pointed and Alannah's gaze followed down the street to a rather large billboard that held her image as well as her campaign slogan. "Is that weird? Seeing yourself up there like that?" He took his eyes off the crowd for a moment, trying to gauge her reaction.

Cian’s return of Alannah’s humour earned him a proper smile this time, teeth and everything. There was a brief moment that flashed between them where their eyes met, almost one of understanding that they were somewhat on the same page before he turned to lead them finally out of the office and towards the food that come to think of it, Alannah was really starting to feel like she needed.

It was surprisingly easy to fall in step beside him as they walked. Given her height, and her heels, Alannah was used to rushing to keep up with people, taking two steps to their every one. But with Cian it was different, almost like he was aware of her speed and adjusted himself to it. That wasn’t to say however, that as they joined the crowds of the lunchtime rush that Alannah’s momentary ease lasted very long. This was the first time she had been back out in public since it had happened and she could feel her heart rate increasing just a little, pale hazel eyes scanning the crowd for signs of danger. It was out of character, a sure sign of fallout from the incident and she found herself instinctively moving a little closer to Cian so that their arms brushed once or twice. Internally, she was trying to calm her thoughts when he stopped and pointed up to her campaign billboard, and as it turned out this was the distraction that she needed. Alannah tilted her head back to observe it, feeling Cian’s eyes upon her but finding that she didn’t mind.

“I guess it was the first time I saw it. I mean, nobody’s head should be blown up that big and stuck onto the side of a building, right?” She smirked. “But now I’m kind of used to it and it’s gotten to the point where I’ve stopped really seeing it, you know?” There was a small pause then as she thought for a second. “When I do though, it’s a good reminder of how far my team have come. Especially when things get stressful. Which is often.” She gave Cian a sideways glance but became distracted when someone brushed by her, her earlier thoughts of unease just about beginning to creep back into the periphery of her mind. “Well, shall we get going then? I don’t know about you but I can practically hear those burgers calling.”

The rest of walk didn’t take long and eventually Alannah led them both into a small takeaway shop named Brill Burgers that was located on the corner of a rather rundown looking side street. The inside was simply decorated, with a few cheap plastic chairs and tables dotted around here and there. She often used this place for takeaways for the team during late night sessions, or if she was feeling particularly lazy, just for herself as a pick me up after a long day. “It may not look like much, but the burgers from here are unreal, trust me.” Heading towards the empty counter, Alannah greeted the guy behind the till and then rolled off her order. One double cheeseburger with extra pickles, a large portion of rosemary salted fries, twice fried onion rings and a strawberry milkshake. It was enough for two to share comfortably, and an order that looked far too much for someone of her stature, but before the kid could read back her choices and declare the bill, she turned to Cian. “And for you?”

As they walked Cian couldn't help but notice a familiar scent fill his nostrils. Chewing on the inside of his cheek he did his best not to notice the brush of her shoulder against his arm and he focused on placing the smell. Ah coconut, he thought to himself, as flashes of beaches and vacations filled his mind. She was explaining to him how she felt about seeing her image there and he found her response to be real. For half a moment he thought he might get a prepared speech meant to tug at his heartstrings and secure his vote. Instead he appreciated the honesty, he wondered if perhaps she was uncomfortable from the truth of things, and that was why she hurried away.

Her gait seemed faster now, and Cian adjusted accordingly, his eyes scanning through the crowd as they made one final turn and arrived at Brill Burgers. He had never heard of it but he was more than willing to give it a try after her high praise. Alannah seemed at ease here, and he noticed the slow droop of her shoulders as she began her order. When she looked back and asked him what he wanted he couldn't help the absolutely delighted bark of laughter that emitted from him. Stepping forward to the counter and the dumbstruck server Cian stuck his thumb out, pointing at Alannah.

"Double it up boyo, I'll have what she's having. Except make it a chocolate shake." His gaze slanted back towards Alannah with a most serious face. "Chocolate is superior." He told her sagely as he dug out his wallet. The worker relayed their order and total and Cian tapped his company card against the machine. "Brooks and Son's treat. We hope you'll enjoy your time being guarded." He told her with a wink.

The teller passed them a little number to put on their table, and Cian took it before searching over the available seats. There was a table in the corner and Cian pulled out a chair for Alannah, and then sat down next to her, placing himself there as a barrier between her and the window. The plastic chair was a little on the small side and Cian shifted trying to find a spot where he felt like he wasn't going to slide off the chair.

"So is this the first time something like that has happened?" He wasn't sure what made him ask the question, if anything he shouldn't have broached the topic, perhaps she wasn't ready. It seemed it curiosity won despite what his professional filters seemed to think.

Cian's order earned another grin from Alannah, who nodded her head in approval as she noticed for the first time the soft lilt of an accent in her bodyguard's voice. She couldn't quite place it but it suited him she realised, especially with the excitable tone that had escaped after she'd placed her own order. His energy was infectious and for the first time since leaving the office Alannah found that her thoughts were finally completely void of her work, or even the incident. "You're wrong," she stated simply, as though she was dealing in facts. "But that's okay, it's okay to be wrong sometimes."

With her eyebrows raised as if to challenge him, Alannah had dipped into her bag to fetch out her purse at the same time Cian did his wallet, and when she noticed that he was moving towards the machine with his card she instinctively reached out to grab his wrist. "Ah-ah!" Their eyes met again when he explained and slowly, she released him once more, ignoring the very slight tingle of her fingers where they'd touched his skin. "Well in that case, please thank Brooks and Sons for me, won't you? If I'd have known free burgers were a part of this partnership, I wouldn't have been so against the idea in the first place." She rolled her eyes in response to his wink, but the expression was playful more than it was irritated and in the end evened out into something a little more serious. "It's on your local councillor next time though, alright? No arguments."

It didn't take them long at all to find a seat, and Alannah slipped comfortably into her own chair opposite Cian. He looked comically bigger than his seat she noticed, and she had to bite her lip for a moment to stop herself from smiling again. Although, that want was somewhat short-lived when he asked his next question, and soon replaced with an exhale as Alannah leaned forwards onto the table, her hands clasped on the surface between them, gaze downcast. There was certainly a change in her when she was outside of her working environment - she was more relaxed and her barriers weren't held up as highly. Very slowly and bit by bit, she was morphing into the Alannah that those closest to her knew. But as she considered her answer to Cian's question, that progression became somewhat halted again. "Mm, to me, yes. But historically I'm sure there are plenty of cases of attacks on politicians over the years. It kind of comes with the territory. We deal in high stakes and sometimes downright emotive subjects - we're responsible for things that affect people's lives, so of course sometimes things... go wrong." Alannah's gaze had drifted now; it wasn't focussed on any one thing, as if she was seeing something that wasn't really there.

"What's odd about the attack this morning though is that we've been trying to figure out what about our policies might have caused it but there isn't really anything that major, or radical, or anything that hasn't been done before. Our whole campaign is piggybacked off of one that a councillor a few cities over ran a few months back that's been really successful. Unless their motive is personal.” She shrugged then in an attempt to shake of a shudder and eventually brought her gaze back to Cian. “There are a few rumours going around about who could be behind it but it's all just speculation and I really don't want to get into a pointless blame game that the press could grab a hold of and run with, if it can be avoided."

Alannah straightened herself up then a little, seemingly against the weight on her shoulders that she could feel becoming heavier once more. A sure sign that it was time for a subject change. "So what about you, Mr McRannall? Have you ever been involved in a case like this before?" Then she paused, her head tilted curiously to the side a little. "I think it would be good for us to get to know each other a little better, especially if you really are going to be breathing down my neck for the next couple of weeks.”

Last edited:
It was clear from the sudden shift in tension that had not been the right time or place to ask the question. Alannah's dark eyes lost the shine of mirth and Cian found himself wanting to soothe away the small furrow between her brows and apologize for being insensitive. That of course was highly inappropriate and he scolded himself for his overly friendly inclinations. Despite the question being a harder topic Cian had to give Alannah credit, she answered eloquently even as she struggled to understand the motive behind the attacks.

"That does sound odd." He agreed, his hands folding together and resting on the table as he gave her his full attention. She straightened and he did his best not to let his gaze dip below her face, He failed only for the briefest of moments, and his brain couldn't help but enjoy the well composed politician outfit she wore. He didn't think he had a thing for business suits but perhaps after this assignment he would have to rethink that notion. She asked him then about his history and while it was certainly not in the job description for the two of them to get to know one another better, he found that the idea was far too appealing to resist.

Bodyguarding Rule Number 1 - Always be vigilant.

"I have guarded politicians in the past." Cian said, stopping as a server approached their table dropping off their milkshakes. Cian and Alannah both thanked the man and Cian handed Alannah a straw, he tore the tip of the straw covering off as he spoke. "The jobs were only for a few days though, since the only cause for alarm were death threats from some lovely lads online. I've only ever done one job similar to this." Had he not been thinking of his most recent failure Cian would have put the open end of the straw to his lips and blown the rest of the paper wrapping the straw towards Alannah. Instead he slipped the plastic out and took a deep drag from the rich chocolate milkshake.

Bodyguarding Rule Number 2 - Don't get attached.

"It worked out in the end for him." Cian couldn't seem to bring up the specifics, it was still a little too raw. "He was this big CEO guy. Something to do with movies, I stuck with him until the police captured the guy that was out to get him." Their food arrived then, and the small table was laden with fresh aromas and the most delicious looking burgers Cian had ever laid eyes on. With a happy noise Cian reached for a few fries and popped them into his mouth. He reached for another one but paused pointing the fry in Alannah's direction. "Alright, let's play a game, two truths and a lie." He grinned as he popped the fry into his mouth, and then reached for his burger. "You first." He prompted before taking a big bite.

Alannah was a good listener. The skill kind of came with the territory of her job, but also from her upbringing too, and it was for this reason that she noticed an ever so slight shift in Cian's body language when he began to answer her question. For a moment she studied him, before finally dropping her gaze away from his so she could pop her own straw into her milkshake to take a thoughtful mouthful. After a small while, she nodded. "Sounds like you did a pretty good job then? If he was still unharmed when the police caught up with his attacker. Let's hope you can do the same for me."

The arrival of food interrupted Alannah's half-smile then, as she seemingly realised just how hungry she actually was. There was a lot of food now laid out in front of them, but she wasn't at all deterred as she reached for her own fries, raising her eyebrows in response to Cian's suggestion of a game. "A game?" She wondered silently if this was an attempt to change the subject, and although a part of Alannah wanted to press a little further into Cian's experience, she didn't. Not when he had afforded her the same kind of rest-bite. "Okay, you're on. But may I suggest we make this a little more interesting? How about... Whoever guesses correctly gets to pick a prize of their choice." Alannah waved a chip around that was held between her fingers. "You in?"

Her eyes were shining as they came to an agreement before, she fell into thought around an onion ring. "Hmm, let me see... Oh wait, I've got it. Okay." Shuffling in her seat slightly like she was preparing for something, Alannah held up a finger. "Number one. I once got up to make a speech at a fundraiser and realised I'd forgotten the paper copy of my actual speech. I Had to make the whole thing up on the spot and bombed in front of everyone. There's probably Youtube footage of it out there somewhere." This was followed by a wry smile before she lifted up two fingers. "Number two. I grew up in a three bedroom house with seven other family members. My Mama, Papa, Nani, Nana and three sisters." And then she held up one extra to make three. "And finally, number three. I have a plush cat toy called Mr Cranky-face that I can't sleep without. I almost lost him when I moved into my apartment and that moment of fear still haunts me to this day. It's very triggering." With a final grin, Alannah lifted her burger towards her mouth with two hands, then she took a huge bite out of it, reaching for a napkin immediately after to wipe at the inevitable dollop of sauce on the end of her nose.

"So? What d'ya think? What am I lying about, McRannall?"

She gave him the same undivided attention he had given her, and he found it comforting, even as he discussed part of his life that he was none too proud of. He thought for a brief moment to lay it all out there for her, explain and hope that she might understand. Instead he tucked that little piece of him deeper inside and switched back to the cheerful persona he had grown comfortable with. At Alannah's suggestion to make the game a little more interesting he perked up, his thoughts racing at the notion of a prize.

"It's a deal." He nodded, and when she waved around a fry he reached out with an onion ring to lightly boop it as they sealed their agreement. He finished half of his burger as she shared her two truths and a lie. He chuckled at her final statement and vowed to see a picture of the plush if it was in fact the truth. Placing down his burger Cian leaned back, his gaze quickly jumping to the street doing a quick sweep of things before he turned those rich brown eyes to hers. A finger lifted to twist a bit of his beard together as he thought over his choices. Deciding to involve her in his thought process he spoke aloud.

"Well every fiber of my being wants Mr. Cranky-face to be a truth so I cannot in good conscience say that one. I find people tend to take the easy way out in this game by fudging the numbers on family members or pets, but you don't seem like someone who takes the easy way." He paused to take another drink of his milkshake before gesturing to her with it. "Alright I think it's the speech one that's the lie. You've got the talent and the knowhow, however if it is the truth may I have the video link... for research purposes?" He chuckled a little, wondering which one it was. Something made him hold up his hand before she could answer him.

"Don't answer yet. I'll give mine and then we can both be on the edge of our seats to find out who won." Cian's hand dropped once more and he snagged a few chips with it. "Alright. number one." He held up a finger just as Alannah had. "I play rugby, our team is the Thistles. Nothing serious, just a local beer league, but we've been doing it for five years now. Usually we come in dead last but it is an honour we are proud to hold." Cian lifted his next finger, he was silent for a moment as he thought. "When I was a teenager, I thought myself to be head over heels in love with a classmate named Holly. My family was set to take me on a large camping trip which would mean I missed the year end dance at school. So I did what any logical teenager would do and got my parents to cancel the whole family trip so I could go to this dance." He lifted up the third and last finger, the memory coming easy to him. "A few years ago I was protecting this elderly woman who lived quite a lavish life. She had a thing for exotic animals and collected as many as she could, this of course upset some of the local animal rights activists who repeatedly threatened to march onto her lands and return the animals to their proper homes. I may or may not have left the large locking gate to her estate wide open as I escorted her to safety from the impending mob." He let his hand drop then and smiled.

"Shall we see who won then?"

(Just to make it easier for ya. It's the second one that's the lie for Cian.) :)

When Cian began to think aloud, Alannah worked her way through her own burger, letting out quiet splutters of laughter when he admitted to wishing that Mr Cranky-face was real, and requested a link to perhaps one of the worst days of her life, if it had indeed happened at all. For the most part though, she tried to keep her face neutral so as not to give anything away, occasionally raising her eyebrows as she watched Cian cheers her onion ring, or fiddle with the scruff on his chin. "If it is the truth, I will personally see to it that you never get your hands on that video link," she teased, before pretending to zip her mouth shut when he told her not to answer yet. Instead, Alannah settled into listening to Cian's answers, the food momentarily forgotten while she concentrated on looking out for any giveaway signs. Her knee knocked against his as she did so, but she pretended not to notice.

Much like Cian, once he was finished, Alannah decided to let him in on her decision making process. "Hmm, okay. You play a tough game bodyguard, I'll give you that," she smirked before taking another chip and chomping down on it in thought. "I think that... the rugby one is the truth. I mean, you're built like a rugby player and I think if you were lying you'd have told me your team always holds first place." He was built like a rugby player and she had noticed. Shoving this thought away though, she quickly continued around a wry smile. "I'm also calling that you're an animal lover after your desire for Mr Cranky-face to be true, so I think the animal activists one is true, too. Although if it is, you have to finish the story and tell me what happened next." Another grin. "Which means, I think Holly is made up. There's no way you passed up a camping trip to go to a dance all suited up. I may not know you very well, but I learned that you aren't a fan of suits within maybe... a minute of meeting you?"

Seemingly satisfied with these answers, and as if forgetting herself for a moment, Alannah let her heels drop to the floor then so she could bring her legs up to sit crossed legged on her seat. Her size meant that she fit snuggly, and she hardly noticed her head nodding with an almost childlike enthusiasm in response to Cian's suggestion that they find out who won. "Alright, drum roll please." She pointed her straw in his direction. "I am pleased to announce that you, Mr McRannall were... Correct! Mr Cranky-face is very much real, and aptly named because he has to be the most miserable looking plush toy in existence. My Papa bought him for me, so we could be 'cranky-faces together'." Alannah raised her fingers into quotation marks, the eye roll that she gave that part of the story nothing short of affectionate. "The lie was of course, the terrible speech. I always keep a backup copy on me. Just in case." This admission was followed by a cheeky tapping of her temple, as if she had just disclosed an idea that was nothing short of genius, before she dropped her hand again so that she could resume finishing off the rest of her burger.

"Okay, you're up. Hit me with my result and then we'll talk prizes."

(ah you were much kinder than me leaving you to guess XD thank you!!)

Cian watched with interest as Alannah slowly shed away the bits of herself that were carefully curated for the public eye. It pleased him to no end when she toed off her heels and sat comfortably cross legged across from him. Her enthusiastic nod and her uninhibited excitement to reveal which had been her lie had him drumming his two pointer fingers on the table and dramatically stopped just as she announced that he had in fact been right. Cian's arms lifted over his head in victory and he nodded sagely at the knowledge that she was always prepared.

"Alright, on to me then..." Cian paused to waggle his brows, unable to help drawing out the moment a little longer. "I will say I am rather impressed at your deduction skills, seems you passed an opportunity to be a private eye. Ms. Heshmati, you were correct!" Cian stopped to put the last of his fries in his mouth and chewed contemplatively for a moment. "As for the animals, I'm pleased to announce that most have been rehabilitated and returned home, though some are in a nearby sanctuary. Those were the ones that were either injured or just didn't have the skills to take care of themselves in the wild." Digging out his phone Cian found the sanctuary's social media page and pulled up a photo of a rather sleepy looking lion lounging in a sunbeam outside in a large enclosure. "Thankfully my client was too busy with the steady barrage of incoming lawsuits and criminal charges to pin the loss of her animals on me." With a wink he held a finger over his lips silently asking her to keep quiet on the subject. He wasn't sure why he thought to trust her with potentially incriminating evidence against him, had it been any other person he would have never divulged something like that.

"So I suppose we both owe one another a prize." Cian did his best not to let his thoughts stray to romance novel sort of prizes, but the sweet woman across from him made it rather difficult. His eyes slid over to her once more and he took in the sight of Alannah cross legged and finishing off the final bits of her burger. He wanted to see her fully relaxed and enjoying herself, and an idea slowly formed in his mind as he finished off his burger as well. "I know Stuart told you to take the rest of the day off, does this mean I am correct to assume you don't have any plans?" As he listened to her answer Cian grabbed his phone once more and found a nearby pub and arcade. He pulled up the website for the place that showed a number of pictures of tables intermixed with brightly flashing arcade games ranging from newer to what looked like classic pinball.

"For my prize, I want to go here with you."

It had been a long time since Alannah had experienced an interaction like this. She was so used to having her professional guard up 99% of the time that it had almost become like second nature to her to behave that way. One of the only times that she was truly relaxed was when she was with her family and away from the public eye, or apparently when she was sitting in a takeaway, stuffing her face with a burger and fries as her new bodyguard showed her pictures of a lion he was partly responsible for rescuing. It was a credit to Cian really, that he made her feel like she could just be herself, and that she finally wasn't dwelling on the incident of the morning.

"I'll take your secret to my grave. Promise." Alannah made a small cross sign over her heart, somewhat pleased that Cian had divulged a private story to her, of all people. Perhaps if she had been less relaxed she might have wondered why, but she wasn't, so she didn't. Instead, she nodded around her final few fries at the suggestion that they owed each other a prize, eyes beginning to narrow in suspicion ever so slightly at the mention of her not having any plans. If she was being honest, Alannah had planned to work from home if Stuart wouldn't let her back in the office, but she figured it might be best to keep that information to herself for now. "Mm... Maybe. I guess how free I am depends on what you had in mind." Her lips twitched a little back into that familiar smirk as she watched Cian search for something on his phone. Her eyes scanned the way his dark lashes fanned the top of his cheek when he was looking down at something, and she blinked when he finally turned his screen to face her.

"You want to... Go to a pub and play... arcade games with me for your prize?" Her brow furrowed a little in confusion before soft laughter began to escape her. "Really? You could have asked for anything and that's what you want?" She was teasing him, but the slight hue of pink to Alannah's cheeks threatened to reveal she was flattered. Part of her wondered why this is what he had chosen but the rational part of her mind rushed to explain that this was Cian doing his job, and doing it well, and she didn't need to read into anything much more than that. "Hmm, okay then. I'll consider it, if you agree to my prize too." Alannah would be lying if she said that she hadn't gone into the suggestion of a prize without an ulterior motive, namely half an hour a day where Cian took a break and left her to it was wat she had initially wanted to request. It didn't come from a desire to be away from him necessarily, but more from a want for the chance to feel as though things were somewhat normal. But as she thought about it now, the words seemingly died on her tongue and instead a different request came out altogether.

"I'd like to pick out a suit for you for the gala on Friday." It was perhaps a strange request, one that she could pass off as wanting to make sure her team looked the part, but in reality there was a part of Alannah, a part that was buried deep down, that thought it could be fun. "So what do you say?" Then she held her hand out across the table towards him. "Do we have a deal?"

Her hand extended and Cian was quick to lift his hand up to meet hers, his large fingers curling around her soft hand. For the briefest moment his fingers grazed against the pulse point of her wrist. She had a firm grip, and gave his hand two firm pumps of agreement before dropping it. They had both finished up with their food and as they stood and got ready for their next destination Cian spoke.

"I do have a bit of an ulterior motive" He confessed. Alannah's gaze snapped to his and he saw confusion and suspicion there before she schooled her features. "I think it would be great fun to absolutely school you at air hockey." Cian picked up their trays and walked to deposit their trash in a nearby garbage and he held the door open for Alannah as they walked back out into the city streets. The lunch rush was nearing its end now, and the crowds were thinner as they moved along. Cian placed himself on the right side of Alannah, a barrier between her and the cars. Once again he was scanning though the crowds for any thing as he matched Alannah's pace.

"About the suit. Is it going to have those weird tails on the jacket? Like that one bad guy from Batman." Cian had to wrinkle his nose again. "What are those tails even for?" He wondered aloud. The walked the few short blocks towards the pub which was called the Pinbar. Kirkbridge featured a great number of tall skyscrapers intermingled with historic buildings and boring looking apartments. The cities alleys were dark, with hints of graffiti peeking out and colouring the brick of the buildings. For a moment Cian considered switching positions, placing himself between those looming entry ways and her. It was an interesting contrast, all the main areas of Kirkbridge seemed so well maintained, but as soon as one took a step off the normal path it was easy to see the disrepair some areas of the city had fallen into.

"Ah here we are." Cian moved forward to hold open the door once more for Alannah.

There was no way that Alannah was going to let Cian beat her at air hockey, and if that wasn't motivation enough for her to help him clear up and head out, then her desire to elongate her time with him certainly was. It was easy for her to convince herself that it was sensible to get to know someone who would be following you around for the foreseeable future, but in reality, Alannah was enjoying herself and the feeling of freedom that came with socialising with someone who you'd only just met. Maybe it was because she didn't know him properly, but she felt as though there was no expectations from Cian for her to be who he thought she should be. That in itself was enough to spur her on towards the pub, and forget, even if it was just for a little while, that she was a politician with an image to maintain.

His comment about the suit and the consequential wrinkling of his nose had Alannah smirking again. "This isn't the 19th century y'know," she quipped. "Or Gotham City. It'll just be a regular, tailored suit with no pointless tails. I promise." His questioning of the tails made her smile widen even further, but before she could say any more on the matter, Cian stepped in front of her to open the door to their destination. Thanking him as she entered the building, Alannah paused momentarily inside, taking in the smell of alcohol and the pinging and clanging of various games in the arcade towards the back of the room. It was darker now where they were but not overly busy, and she nudged her head towards the bar where she ordered two bottles of beer upon reaching it. Side-eyeing Cian, she gave a small shrug. "If I can't drink at two in the afternoon after someone tried to shoot me then when can I?"

Once the bartender handed them two bottles and she'd paid with her card, she led Cian over to the air hockey table next and slipped in a coin to start it up. "Alright, shall we say first one to ten wins?" Then she took a swig of her beer before placing it down on the table and removing her blazer so she could do the same with that. If there was a way of saying Alannah meant business, then this was it. "And every time one of us scores, we get to ask the other a question of our choice. Sound good?"

Alannah walked with purpose towards the bar and Cian quickly surveyed over the compact little bar. There were a few people interspersed between tables and games and none of them seemed interested in their arrival. Turning back to Alannah he accepted the beer she offered him, he almost choked on his first sip when she joked about there being no finer place to drink after the events of her day. With a careful clearing of his throat Cian followed after her as she made her way to a table near the air hockey table.

"Too true." He agreed. He was mid way through putting his own beer on the table when Alannah began to take off her blazer. Something in him froze and he stayed there arm outstretched, the beer centimeters off the table as he took in the gentle sweep of her shoulders. She wore a smart form fitting top underneath and his eyes traced the slight curve of her hip. The sound of gunfire and a frustrated groan of a player loosing a life brought him back to reality and he quickly placed down his bottle and straightened. The determined look she gave him after she had draped her blazer over her chair, had him grinning.

"You're on, Ms. Heshmati." Cian mimed rolling up his sleeves, despite the fact he was just wearing a simple grey tee. The coin intake was closer to Alannah and so he let her slide in a coin and they took their positions on either side of the table. The sound of the pumps vibrating to life had him reaching out and grabbing his bright red striker and getting into position to defend his goal. "Prepare to spill all your embarrassing secrets. Though if you really don't want to answer a question I suppose I will accept if you do a shot in its stead." He felt the cool air from the table ghosting over his fingers and kept his eyes on the puck as Alannah readied her first shot. With a crack of the puck being sent in his direction, the game was on.

The two of them spent a few moments trying out different styles of play from aggressive to more defensive, sending the red well used puck back and forth between them. Cian swished his hand to the left, sending the puck hurtling to the wall and bouncing back and forth from wall to wall towards Alannah's goal. She defended well, sending it back his way and he tried once more to ricochet it off the wall. The clunk of puck hitting the inside of Alannah's goal had him raising his hands in victory.

"Let's start it off fairly easy. If you had to live in a movie or book which one would you choose?" Cian reached for his beer taking a swig before they got back to the game and Alannah's answer.

Cian pretending to roll up his sleeves immediately captured Alannah's attention, specifically directing it to the way his grey t-shirt hugged the top of his arms. She found herself smiling around another sip of her beer, perhaps out of slight embarrassment for having thoughts she shouldn't have been about her new bodyguard, but also because she was enjoying them just a little.

"Mm, I suppose I can get on board with that forfeit." She gave a thoughtful nod in Cian's direction. "It’s probably a little late to worry about drinking on the job, huh?" Alannah's comments were completely in jest of course, especially given that right now it felt like they were anything but working. In fact, she couldn't remember the last time her head had been this empty of work and completely embroiled in someone else's company, and a stranger's company, no less. "But you have to do the same, Mr McRannall. Shots aren’t as fun if you’re doing them alone.”

With thoughts of forfeits and a now steady flow of beer making its way into her system, it didn't take long for the puck to slip into Alannah's goal first and when it did, she let out a small huff. "Beginner's luck, I reckon." She pointed her beer in Cian's direction, eyebrows raised, but the quirk of her lips said that she was impressed. Once he'd asked his question, she hugged her bottle into her shoulder thoughtfully. "Hm. That's a good one... Um. Okay, wait, I've got it. I'd choose Howl's Moving Castle, the book and/or the film. I mean, who wouldn't want to live in a magical, mechanical, moving castle with a charming welsh wizard." Then she gave a little shrug. "What can I say? I have a thing for accents." It wasn't until she had made this comment though that she remembered that she was in fact speaking to a man with an accent, her gaze suddenly flicking to his and then back down just as quickly. Alannah's expression had turned slightly apologetic, and she hid embarrassed laughter around another mouthful of beer. In any case, she was grateful when Cian set up play once more.

There were a few more backwards and forwards motions, each of Alannah's attempts becoming a little more aggressive until finally she potted the puck into his goal. In response, she pretended to take a bow before straightening to grin at him from across the table. "Alright, my turn." Then she brought up her fingers to tap her chin in thought, deciding that despite her earlier mishap, she was going to go ahead and ask the question that had been plaguing her mind since she'd spotted it in the takeaway earlier. "And speaking of accents..." She gave another small eye roll at herself before continuing. "I noticed you have a slight lilt to your voice. Where is it from?"

Last edited:
"Howls Moving Castle... I don't know if I've seen that one. I'll have to put it on my list." Cian said in response to Alannah's answer. Her description of the world seemed quite magical and fanciful and had he not been audience to her transformation from well groomed politician to relaxed beauty, he might not have understood her choice. Alannah's smiles were freer now under the dim lighting of the bar and Cian greedily committed each smile and laugh to memory. How interesting it would be, to see her working and know the sort of woman that lay underneath. At her mention of liking accents his row raised and he thought for a moment of teasing her, wanting to make the adorable flush that coloured her cheeks even more apparent; but he bent down and put the puck back into play.

It didn't take long for the score to read "1-1" and Cian barked in laughter as she brought up accents once more. He bent to grab the puck from the dispenser and placed it back on the table.

"Ireland. I've not lived there myself, but mum and dad were happy to take me back as often as they could. My nan owns one of those touristy pottery studios in Kinsale near Cork, sometimes I would work there for the summer when school was out." He had fond memories of those times spent in Ireland, it had been far too long since he had been back. "Ready?" He asked, waiting for Alannah to take up her position before he sent a powerful hit right for her goal. In his minds eye it had been the perfect shot, however Alannah proved to be quite the worthy opponent and she deflected the shot once more. It was a struggle but eventually he managed to sneak one in.

"Perhaps your file should come with a warning about your air hockey skills." He joked, miming wiping sweat off his brow. He did his best to appear a little stern with her hidden talents but truthfully he was having far too much fun to even sell the expression for a second. The question that plagued him had him holding his hands together in a T, indicating he wanted a time out. He walked down the side of the table and once he was close enough to smell the soft scent of her coconut perfume he leaned against the corner of the table and regarded her curiously.

"That woman you become when you work, was that your creation or did a PR team tell you to be that way?" He winced a little at how he had worded the question. "Sorry that came out wrong. I couldn't help but notice there seems to be a very clear line between the politician Ms. Heshmati and the woman... Alannah." It was the first time he had used her name and it came out a little breathy.

A children's book and arguably a children's film did seem like an odd choice for Alannah's answer, but she supposed it probably said more about her desire to escape the realities of life than she had first realised. It wasn't that she didn't enjoy her job, or her life, but sometimes living so relentlessly in the real world could take it's toll and mystical films and books about far away kingdoms were some of her favourites to get lost in, even if it was just for a little while.

Thankfully though, this wasn't something that either she or Cian needed to dwell on right now, and instead she listened to his own answer with interest, gently taking note of the small glimpse of the man behind the job and hoping, perhaps not for the first time, that there would soon be more. Ah, Ireland. Of course. "That sounds lovely," she commented honestly in return, "I'd really like to visit Ireland some day, I've heard it's supposed to be really beautiful. And apparently the accent's not half bad either."

Smirking around a nod to signify that she was indeed ready to continue, Alannah tried her best to give as good as she got in the constant trials of the air hockey table. It was easy to zone out the sounds of pinging pinball machines around them and the odd raucous cheer of people winning, or losing on various different machines throughout the arcade when you had a puck flying towards you. This also meant though, that it was easy to miss anyone who might be sneaking around in the shadows and attempting to take pictures of the politician who only this morning had nearly lost her life, and was now drinking with an apparent stranger in a random downtown pub/arcade.

"Perhaps," Alannah rolled her eyes, considering that Cian had just made it 2-1, but his pretence of mopping his brow and suggesting a timeout had her giggling just a little. "But then I'd miss out on the fun of taking you by surprise with my superior mallet skills," a statement that reflected the humour both hinted at in her tone and sparkling in her eyes. Taking another mouthful of beer as Cian walked around to her, Alannah turned to lean her lower back against the air hockey table, readying herself for his next question. When he asked it though, she found that her bottle paused just short of her lips and her gaze fell away from his, before a small, knowing smile teased the corners of her mouth upon hearing him use her first name. His question was a good one, and a fair one given that he had experienced both extreme sides of her in the space of a few short hours. She wasn't however, sure if it was one that she could answer.

"No it's okay... It's not... It's not a creation," she began eventually, her voice soft. "It's just how I am, when I work. How I've had to be." Then she visibly seemed to struggle for a moment, as if she wanted to say more but wasn't sure how to. In the end, she gave a small shrug. "But that's all I'm going to say with this little alcohol in my system, so l'll take a shot if it means getting out of saying anymore." Alannah turned to put her beer down on the table and without thinking about it she reached out to touch Cian's arm as she slipped past him. It almost felt instinctual, in a 'don't worry about it' kind of way. "I'll be back in a second." And so she was, not with one but with two small shot glasses of clear liquid, one of which she handed towards him upon her return. "Here. For when you decide to pass. Or if you just wanted to keep me company with mine, that'd be fine too..."

Last edited:
Bodyguarding Rule Number 3- Don't dull your senses.

Her touch sent little sparks up his arm and down his spine, and Cian couldn't help but watch her as she sauntered over to the bar and came back with two little glasses. Cian knew he shouldn't take that shot, let alone drink that beer. He was on the clock and supposed to keep Alannah safe, doing shots with her was far from the professional Booker and Sons wanted him to be. However when her sweet tempting words asked for company, he found himself helpless to her charms. Despite the war in his professional mind and his heart, Cian took the shot glass and clinked it to Alannah's. They seemed so in sync as they touched their clinked shot glasses to the table before tilting their heads back and downing the liquid. Cian's eyes were closed and he missed a quick flash of camera.

"Oh thank god its tequila. I thought for a moment you might have given me vodka." Cian shuddered at the memory of far too many college parties and set the empty glass down on the table. It seemed the shot had done some magic for Alannah and she absolutely trounced him, scoring three goals one after the other. She earned the knowledge of his comfort food (chocolate ice cream with kalua poured on top), his idea vacation (a secluded spot in the mountains camping). When she asked him about any phobias he was forced to walk to the bar once more and collect another two shot glasses.

As he was walking back, he couldn't help but notice a set of eyes focused on him. Training took over and he took in the man's bag which he recognized to be a camera bag. Perhaps the press? Certainly not an informant, the camera bag would have been far to conspicuous for such tasks.

"Heads up." He murmured to Alannah. "Looks like someone's got a camera on us." Had the bar had any windows, Cian and Alannah would have seen the small crowd of people and cameras. The city demanded the news and the press was more than happy to try and score an interview with the up and coming politician. He looked down at the two shot glasses, this time filled with an amber liquid and frowned. What the hell had he been thinking?

Beating Cian at air hockey was a small bonus to what had been an otherwise great afternoon, but unfortunately despite Alannah's enthusiasm, they were never destined to hit the 10 point mark. That wasn't to say though that she didn't enjoy getting to know a little more about Cian anyway, her interest piqued by his decision to skip the phobia question. A part of her wanted to probe a little deeper but she didn't, affording him the same luxury of skipping the subject as he had her just moments before. What she hadn't been expecting though when he returned from the bar with two more glasses was to be informed that someone was watching them.

Alannah's stomach suddenly twisted uncomfortably as she absently took a glass, eyes now scanning the room. "What? Where?" This wasn't the first time today that she had been unaware of someone taking an interest in her, except the first time had ended in a gunshot. Judging by Cian's lack of urgency though, Alannah assumed that they weren't currently in any danger at least. "Shit..." The word came out on exhale before she placed her still full shot glass down onto the table, mind quickly kicking into overdrive. If it were the press, had they taken pictures of her already? What had they seen? Were there more of them outside? She was used to dealing with the media, but perhaps not after a beer and several shots.

"We should probably go. If it is the press, it won't be long before more of them turn up. That's if they haven't already." There was a reluctance about Alannah as she said this, an almost apologetic glimmer to her expression when she looked up at Cian. She didn't want to leave, but what other choice did they have? "I'm just going to go to the bathroom. I need to freshen up." She was already on the move as she spoke, rummaging in her bag to pull out one of her business cards. "You should call my office and get them to send us a car. It'll be quicker than waiting for a taxi." Then, she handed it over to Cian, forgetting that right now one of the worst things she could probably do was leave his side. "Here, the number's on there. I'll meet you back here in five, alright?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back