• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Gwalihir

Hi, guys and girls! I have a setting in mind for a fantasy rp, and would love to hear who might be interested, and especially what more would you want to know about this world before you join and rp.

Earth has a sister planet known as Somberlun. During eclipses, in the presence of specific crystal formations, gateways open from one world to the other. Animals and humans have been falling through these gates throughout history and prehistory. As a result, Somberlun is inhabited by many species and cultures now extinct on Earth. They have dinosaurs as well as other prehistoric creatures, Neanderthals, Atlanteans, Mayans, Incas, Templar Knights and even Nazis.

Whenever someone comes through a gate from Earth, an energy is released that affects fertile females within several miles. They become pregnant with an offspring between themselves and the nearest living animal to them. Thus, if a fertile woman is riding a fertile mare, the mare becomes pregnant with a centaur, the woman with a horse-headed human. As a result there are many cross-bred species on Somberlun.

Crossovers from Somberlun to Earth are rare, but crossovers from Earth to Somberlun are common. This is because time travels twelve times faster on Earth than Somberlun. Crosses from Earth are called “Entries,” and are valued for their knowledge and possessions which are always more advanced than those of anyone on Somberlun. However, the energy fields of Somberlun do not allow electronics to function, so nothing from light bulbs to computers will work.

Some Somberlunians have learned to use these energies to harness the elements around them: earth, air, fire, water and life. Through proper manipulation of energy they can perform the equivalents of magical spells which can grow in power depending on the effort and materials invested to do so.

These energies are put off by a material known as Etherium: a metal with a negative weight. Thanks to this metal there are vast floating islands in the sky, and the logs of certain trees can be used to build flying ships. Naturally Etherium is a major element in making magical swords and other weapons, and the branches of the goldenwood tree are used for wands and staves.

Somberlun revolves around three suns revolving around a central axis: the red sun Caratis, the blue sun Baolis and the yellow sun Cassius. There are four moons, but with three suns, eclipses are very rare so there are rarely transfers from Somberlun back to Earth.

For this roleplay, please use complete sentences and paragraphs with at least three paragraphs per post. Let us know where you are, who you are, what you are and what you are feeling. For your first post, please list the following:

Name
Species
Occupation
Education/training
Likes/dislikes
Skills and abilities
Personality
Background

Unless the content of your post will clarify these descriptions on its own. For following posts, please make sure we at least know who the post is about.

The first rp post in the series will leave open the possibility either to be a new Entry from Earth, or any character native to the world of Somberlun. Please take note of the Somberlun FAQ thread I will add under Extra Pages if this gets off the ground, which will answer questions about the planet and everything in it as they arise.

For the rp, go to:

Roleplay

For OOC chat in Discord, go to:

Moonshadow Discord

For FAQ, go to:

Moonshadow FAQ

For Recruitment, go to:

Moonshadow Recruitment

For Character Sheets, go to:

Moonshadow Characters

Last edited:
Thank you! Two questions: do you have any additional questions about the world of Somberlun? And did the description suggest any type of character you might wish to play?

Yes, what would the tech level be? And i was thinking of playing an artificer/battle enchanter (An enchanter that likes to test his own gear on live targets/victims)

"the energy fields of Somberlun do not allow electronics to function, so nothing from light bulbs to computers will work." So, no electrical tech, but guns work just fine. Just they are very rare, since the most primitive ones only showed up about 25 years ago in Somberlunian time.

Your artificer sounds scary. Do you think he would attack a group of Entries? I have a Mage Knight who might try to stop him, if he did. That could really set the stage for any Entries to see what kind of world they had entered!

Nah, he wouldn't attack random entries seeing as he was one when he was 10 yo. He had lived in Somberlun for about 17 years. So more likely, he would help the knight magi

That may come in handy. At the very least, you may be able to translate for my German-speaking Minotaur (he can send you a telepathic message that is language neutral, but won't be able to do so to the entries).

I think I will go ahead and make my first two posts in the group RP section. Please feel free to answer.

A couple of quick notes:

1. Love the look of your equipment in the “spoilers” section. Very Steampunk, very appropriate to both the character and the setting.
  2. Worked out the calculations: since time travels twelve times faster on Earth than Somberlun, for Dorian to have been here 17 years means he left Earth about 1814. Nothing about your background conflicts with that, just wanted to make sure you knew.

You have a point. I wasn't thinking in terms of others popping up, but perhaps we should wait as you suggest.

...I hear floating islands.
1604730573191.png

Or maybe less steampunk and more clockpunk. But definitely not Dieselpunk.

...But hey. Do you want whimsical madness? Then I will gladly introduce myself!

i, a mere humble roleplayer. Wish to join this bandwagon!
Welcome, Sir Nubs! Have you considered a character to portray? Our present circumstance gives good reason for any bus-riding Earthling from present-day Kansas City to immediately be present, or any denizen of or visitor to the forest to come investigate the new Entries. We are on the verge of battle, so come as you are, hopefully prepared for combat.

...I hear floating islands.
View attachment 803817

Or maybe less steampunk and more clockpunk. But definitely not Dieselpunk.

...But hey. Do you want whimsical madness? Then I will gladly introduce myself!
You hear floating islands? Your hearing is true. They and their denizens shall be introduced in due time. You are correct, sir, as well, that Dieselpunk would not be appropriate, but the other styles you mention would. By all means, introduce a bit of whimsy!

Just so we're clear: we are currently awaiting Mr Nubs' introductory post, then darkborn's, HighSang, then back to Corellus and the Nazis. Just so no one's waiting for someone else when it's their turn...

So the actual threads for characters and IC already exist? I don't see anything linked.

So the actual threads for characters and IC already exist? I don't see anything linked.
Sorry about that: I haven't learned how to link everything up. It's under the group RP. If you'd care to add a character, you would be third in the sequence above.

You COULD start a Discord as a way around.
I haven't made many threads either, and dunno how to do it as well, but Discord could be a nice work-around.

Just makes a links channel and put all the links there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back