[Moonrise] From Gateway, with Love

Teal

Certifiably Political
((This thread reflects the BETA version of a particular character who has yet to be revised to meet current rules. The content is not quite where I'd like it to be, but in the interests of hurrying through this, I'm not going to rewrite the entirety of the scenes.))

The dark-haired sculptor took a step back, having finally finished brushing the shards out of the crevasses of her project, pocketing her chisel. Rainbow obsidian flecks carpeted the floor of the studio surrounding her completed work, a shining statue of the volcano god she held in most reverence. Kaimi's face beamed with pride as she inspected the work that had captured Maka Koa perfectly. Perfectly - at least - according to the mental image she held of him. She had never laid eyes upon any of the gods herself, but this spectacular piece was the blazing glory she imagined. It was easily her masterpiece.

After admiring it for a small spell, Kaimi checked the secures at the base of the statue before turning to put her tools away in their proper place. As pleased as she was, the room was a mess. Near her station a broom and a dustpan rested for her to pick up the hazardous deposits that carpeted the area immediately around it and got to it.

As Kaimi moved toward her cleaning implements, picking her way over the shard-littered cement floor of her work room, a deep rumble resounded in the small room. The shards of obsidian trembled, filling the chamber with high pitch pings, as the rumble changed. A voice, deep as the ominous groaning of shifting earth, filled the air.

"An impressive effort, mortal."

It came from behind her - the statue's body had twisted, and now faced the broom-wielding craftswoman.

Kaimi's attention snapped her gaze over her shoulder, the rest of her body quickly following suit in a small jump as she nearly dropped the broom. Startled enough to become breathless, no embarrassing cries came from her throat, but the sculptor remained slack jawed. "Th-thank you?" Kaimi stammered, a moment later.

A great and deep laugh boomed into the chamber, "It is not often that a prayer reaches me so loudly! To think, this magnificent form was crafted by...a mere mortal. You have made me pro -"

"Kaimi!" The slam of wood striking wood cut the divine voice off, drowning its praise out. "Are you alright!?" It was her mother, eyes wide and visibly frightened. In her hand, she held the wooden cudgel she kept under the shop counter. "The -"

Kaimi did not hear what she heard, as the world itself froze. Sunlight flooded through the walls and ceiling, casting the room in brilliant whites and golden shadows. The glare should have been blinding, yet Kaimi's copper eyes adapted with unnatural speed - pupils diluted to tiny black dots. Around the craftswoman's body, wisps of deep violet fire danced - much darker than the unnatural sunscape her workshop had become. On her forehead, the lidded eye of the Twilight caste shone - brilliant against her bronze skin. Over the wall at her back, an intricate mandala of violet light had burned itself into the sun-washed plaster - the symbol which dominated it was like a four-fingered hand, each pointing toward an ordinal direction.

Before her, a mass of darker violet essence began to collect - drawing together rapidly into a human shape. Then, in a flash of brilliant white light, the figure coalesced - a being with flesh of golden metal, shot through with crystalline veins, and liquid silver dripping from it's brow, in the likeness of hair. A magnificent broad-sleeved gown of strange liquid-white material hugged its chest, beneath an armor-like bodice of black-embellished gold. The metallic swell of the creature - a woman's? - breasts were barely visible at the bodice's upper-edge. Almost out of place where the being's steely grey eyes - which now rested coldly upon Kaimi's fire-backed form.

The craftswoman had the distinct impression of being weighted like meat in the market.

"So," The being spoke, voice hauntingly beautiful and distinctly feminine, "you, are my new incarnation." The creature's lips pulled back in a sneer, revealing rows perfect white enameled teeth, amid her humanoid golden mask.

Kaimi's mind raced, infinite questions forming as she tried to make sense of the strange void she now found herself in. Her hand reached to touch her own brow, numbly aware of the sign that shone from it, before it was interrupted by the shadows slithering together. What emerged from the writhing darkness was something indescribable. Having just witnessed her own craft at its finest, it paled in comparison to the metallic being before her. And what's more. It moved. It breathed. SHE spoke. And as the venomous words poured from her golden lips, Kaimi quivered. Then, a tang of bitterness rose in her, a fire that would not be stamped out with that remark. The craftsman steeled herself. "What!?"

It didn't sound nearly as imposing as she would have liked.

The being breathed a derisive - yet perversely beautiful - snort, turning away - her strange liquid armor gown, hemmed in intricate gold runes, whirled around her slender form. "You are my current incarnation." She repeated, gesturing dismissively over her shoulder, as she approached the statue in the room's center. Her slender orichalcum fingers trialed soundlessly over the - now white - obsidian face of Kaimi's statue. The being's eyes narrowed, though her words were absent minded. "We are the same - now and forever."

Memories - many which were not Kaimi's own - rose in her mind. Disparate references to Anathema and the Chosen of the Sun came together, informed by the memories of the being - Viveka, called the Dying, of the Twilight caste - to reveal their true character; of the Solar Exalted.

Kaimi's mouth worked before her voice did, sufficiently alarmed by the liquid motion. Everything about this being was on the outer edges of her imagination, and she briefly wondered if this is what it was like to meet a god. There was a mental twitch to this comparison. Even most gods had their flaws. The new exalt was at a loss to describe what she was seeing even to herself as it was happening. Beautiful for her age and people, Kai felt small, powerless and disgusting, her voice sounding as a croak following the other, "I, th-that's imp -"

"You should feel honored." Viveka observed, voice mild.

She stopped, the memories flooding through her mind. Visions of the ancient world, paradise, magic beyond imagination and hell. Kaimi's stomach turned as mass destruction, blood and torture began to invade her thoughts as well. Throat dry, she stammered, "Honored? For this?" Never feeling the relief of evacuating her stomach, it took all of her to not reel in place. "Y-you're a monster. You weren't always but...no. I'm not you. I'm not that."

The strength she attempted to project with those words failed. She was only trying to convince herself.

Viveka's silver lips quirked in a confident and cold smirk, as the weight of her gaze settled fully on Kaimi and she stepped away from the bleached obsidian of the statue. "A monster?" She asked, voice lyrical. One of her golden hands slid through the liquid silver mane of her hair. She laughed merrily, the sound both beautiful and unnatural. Her smile returned as she regarded the craftswoman, "I simply made the world more beautiful." She gestured vaguely toward the statue at her back, "As a fellow craftswoman, surely you can see the value in that."

The stonemason sneered, not buying it, “You raped the land and its creatures, churning out abominations to add to your collection, your military might. Perhaps at one point you did, but it was outweighed by the destruction you’ve wrought.” Standing her ground against the impossibly intimidating Solar echo, copper hands balled into fists. “You’ve murdered thousands in cold blood, all for your selfish drive. There is no value in that. Now leave me, apparition.”

Viveka's smile was cold, the strangely beautiful laugh that filled the air carried a tinge of - chillingly infectiousness - madness. Reflexively, Kaimi felt herself smile - and the realization chilled her, shocking her into sobriety. With that, the ancient Solar began to fade - though at the last moment, the golden caste to her skin vanished and was replaced with the healthy deep brown flesh of the Southeast.

"I am a Lawgiver." Viveka stated, voice suddenly fuller and far more human. On her now transparent forehead was the same crest Kaimi herself now bore. "I sought knowledge, and with it, I changed the world." Viveka's grey eyes looked with Kaimi's copper ones, as her words faded to a mere whisper.

"...and so will you."

When Kaimi next blinked, she found herself - once more - clutching a broom. Her mother's voice cut in, as if no time had passed.

"- house is shaking!"

Last edited by a moderator:
((Note: There is a gap in my notes between the first scene and this scene.))

Fire now covered the far wall of the workshop - and was spreading over the black cement floor and creeping closer to the wooden beams of the ceiling. It's source was a serpent, scaled in hues of fire, and wrapped around a mound of volcanic glass - the gift of the now absent volcano god. The creature fixed it's eyes on Kaimi - only partially visible behind the magnificent form of her newly minted statue - and hissed. The creature trembled visibly - the lower half of its body was shrunken and deformed - not to mention covered with chips of hardened clay. A projectile of wet clay was responsible for that - curtsy of the dark-haired craftswoman it regarded with vehemence.

A breastplate of brilliant red material formed over its body.

From where she is, Kaimi glared back at the serpent. Her wrist flicked and, from somewhere at her back, one of her trusted iron-wood daggers flew through the magical heated air landed neatly in her palm. Dexterously rolling it over her knuckles, the Twilight stepped to the side and flung it at the serpent's head - only to see it fly wide. The serpent was a smaller target than she was used to. Unconcerned, Kaimi continued to carefully inch toward her store of slip - luckily, it was located on the side of the room opposite the serpent.

Hissing softly, the serpent seemed to tremble - probably from pain - as it's tongue flicked out experimentally. Suddenly, it's head snapped forward - and a bolt of flame erupted from it's jaws. Panicking, Kaimi leapt back reflexively - but fortunately, the flame bolt had gone wide in the first place. The creature's aim was obviously impaired by pain. Unfortunately, the spot it had hit was smoldering into a new fire - the cursed creature was an elemental. There was no other explanation for how fire could catch on stone like that.

Furious, Kaimi's hand fell upon the bucket she sought, "You are ruining my studio immediately after Maka Koa blessed it!" Tearing off the seal, she holds the bucket and flings the contents - water, filled with clay of quicksand consistency - towards the creature. "Get out!" The hiss of steam exploded in the small chamber, as the sip smother a large patch of flames.

...unfortunately, her aim was off.

The serpent regarded the patch of doused fire balefully, still atop the mound of burning obsidian. It seemed to heave a sigh, as it lowered it's head to the black glass below. Around it, the fire surged - expanding a few steps, spurred onward by its essence. The spirit's eyes glared hatred after the Twilight - and the fire it had been born from now licked the base of her statue - yet it made no move to attack.

Once more, Kaimi called her blade to hand. Dropping below the smoke which was fast filling the space, she swept up a handful of the wet clay from the ground. Ignoring the heat that radiated from the treated wood, she swiftly coated the dagger with the recovered slip. Turning her momentum into a spin, she hurled the weapon, castemark flaring brightly around her form, as a well-placed spike of essence steadied her throwing muscles. This time, the dagger flew true and thudded into it's breastplate - the water allowing the blade to slip effortless through - and releasing a violent hiss of steam. The creature cried loosed a disturbingly human cry out and went rigid, writhing visibly, but its form did not collapse.

Above her, the ceiling of her basement studio groaned ominously. The magical fire was in full burn now.

"Kaimi!" A voice from the top of the stairs called. "You need to leave, now!"

Without question the Twilight spun - calling back her now thoroughly charred dagger once more - she hurriedly ran, taking up the stairs two at a time.

As Kaimi reached the top of the stairs, she found her mother waiting. Swiftly, the older woman grasped her hand and lead her toward the nearest window. They had not gone more than two steps before a loud crash erupted from the basement. Her mother cried out, as a sickening snap resounded and she fell to her knees. Gritting her teeth, the woman urged Kaimi to get to the window. "Hurry!"

From the adjoining room, Kaimi could see the fire had spread to this floor as well, and was slowly filling the house's center-most room.

Kaimi bent, grasping her mother's shoulders and pulled her mom up after her, moving instead toward the door. "Come on, we need to get to the well, it's hurt and not going anywhere." She muttered, half to herself.

Her mother's smile grew wider, as she limped along with Kaimi. The young Solar, her castemark now invisible once more, could now detect the smell of burnt flesh rising from her mother's form - she must have been hurt earlier. A few moments later, the pair emerged into the night street, where a small crowd was gathering, with buckets of water at the ready.

...at the head of the crowd was Kaimi's mother. The relief on her face was palpable, as she hurried over to the pair of women.

Kaimi glanced from her 'mother' then to her actual mother and shook her head, collapsing to the lawn, along with her mysterious savoir. Her mother was speaking - though, as Kaimi turned her eyes toward her companion, she couldn't quite make out the words. Through the haze of her frazzled thoughts, Kaimi noticed that, though the woman beside her looked like her mother, her face was wrong - too young by far. A moment later, it came to her - this was their House's Goddess. Her legs had snapped when the basement collapsed - and her skin and clothes were burning before her eyes - without a lick of fire visible.

The goddess, understandably, appeared to be in pain.

As they set on the lawn, Kaimi mutters to the house goddess, "I'm...I'm sorry. I couldn't get rid of it..." Mind in a fog, her eyes carefully moved over her companion's divine body - the burns were very bad. Kaimi found herself surprised that the Goddess was not writhing in pain. The bone jutting from her leg was angled disturbingly - yet it looked far too dry for a break so fresh.

The goddess let out a small gasp as her second leg, inexplicately, bent impossibly. Behind them, yet another boom sounded from the house - the basement must have caved in completely.

"It...is fine." The Goddess whispered, smile pained.

Her wounds were obviously supernatural - and, Kaimi realized distantly - the result of her domain changing from goddess of a house, to the goddess of a burnt down ruin. The dark haired woman offered a weak smile, "Thank you for all you've done." With that, she pushed herself to her feet and - feeling exhausted - Kaimi staggered toward the well.

A soft smile on her lips, the woman shut her eyes and allowed herself to dematerialize.

Determined than more ever now, Kaimi took a deep breath, as she laid her hand on the cold stone of the well. "Dammit, I owe too much to everything." She muttered, then, expression set, she vaulted over, into the darkness below. Her hand slides down the side of it as she does so. Once she hits the water she begins treading and channeling. "I need your help, and I need it now. Give it to me and I will pay you back manifold, as well as I can."

She's just tired enough to smile at the pun, but not laugh.

Within the well, Kaimi's castemark formed once more, as she put everything she had left into this. Once more, a charm she didn't know formed at her fingertips - and from the portal it formed, her essence poured. She felt a presence near her, which seemed to be growing stronger as she felt her reserves of essence vanish slowly.

A faint chuckle came to her, as suddenly, the cold waters of the well seemed to matter a little less to her. For a moment later, she felt as though a pair of arms - brown, darker than her own bronze ones, but familiar just the same - held her from behind. A woman's voice, strangely familiar, whispered reassuringly in her ear. "Well, maybe you're not a bad successor after all. Concentrate on the magic; leave the swimming to me."

Kaimi just nodded weakly.

A steady radiance began to build under the pair of women, a deep violet, the color of Kaimi's anima and the sky at late twilight. Soon, the well itself was filled with that unnatural glow - and Kaimi was forced to close her eyes against the glare. She could hear people at the well's lip now - but the words were distant. She thought she felt another presence then - this one male, but the light in the well was too bright and...

...everything went black.

((More to come tomorrow.))

Kaimi's eyes slid open to regard an unfamiliar ceiling of dark volcanic rock. She lay on a small pallet, under a thin sheet, inside a narrow stone cell-like chamber. Light streamed from a small glass window behind her - judging by the brightness, it was after noon. A simple wooden door was set into the stone wall at the foot of the bed, a few steps away. Her belongings were no where in site, but there was a small pile of undyed cotton garments were set before a small table with dull mirror atop it.

...it only took Kaimi a few breathes to realize her body hurt. Injured, she stirred slowly to test her body and, stiffily sat up. Ignoring the dull pain that filled her limbs, the dark haired girl pushed herself to her feet. She felt was more sluggish than she should, but otherwise her movement seems to be only pained, not hindered. Mind still mulling over the events that led her here she slips the offered garments on catching a good look at herself in the dull mirror. The garments, she distantly realized, were those the priestesses of the Volcano Brothers gave to those under their care. But, it was the flesh underneath them that drew her attention.

A latticework of of scabs, like jagged bolts of lighting covered her skin. Each had a faint violet-red tinge to it - and did not look particularly flattering on her normally bronze skin.

She was more than happy to cover as much of them as she could.

A voice that did not belong to her slowly surfaced - the wounds were a sign that she had pushed her own Exaltation's magic too far, firstly in pushing the Essence-Lending Method beyond its designed bounds, and secondly, in forcibly drawing knowledge from within the shard twice in one night. The wounds, to a particularly educated eye, would mark her as essence-user.

Her assessment was interrupted by the soft sounds of steps outside her cell. The doorknob of Kaimi's small cell turned smoothly, and the door slid open on silent hinges. A pretty dark-haired young girl - more than a few years Kaimi's junior - stood outside, dressed in the dark red-brown garments of a priestess of the Volcano Brothers. Her eyes widened as she regarded Kaimi.

"You're up." She murmured, sounding surprised. A smile appeared on her face, "Well, that's a good sign." She offered, stepping in.

Kaimi's attention swings towards the door, and the pretty girl, as she keeps a fair distance between the two of them. "Ah, yes I am, thank you priestess. I'm afraid I'm a little lost though, do you know what happened?" Her body has shrunk back in the direction of the bed but doesn't want to admit to weakness quite yet by sitting down.

The girl's smile faded a little, as she nodded toward the bed, shutting the door behind her, as she reclined against its smooth and solid surface. "You should sit down, Kaimi."

Concerned, and perhaps a little influenced by the priestess' status and appearance, she obeys. "Oof, so I didn't just hit my head in the studio?"

The Priestess shook her head. "What do you remember?"

Kaimi shook her head, "I...I was working in my studio. Finishing up a statue of Maka Koa, even. The Great Lord appeared pleased and I was overwhelmed - and honored, of course, by his visitation. After he left, however, a manner of a fire serpent appeared and took refuge in my studio. My mother and myself escaped, but I..." Remembering the house goddess and her ashen face, she stammered, "I believe I watched my family's home burn to the ground. The last thing I remember is jumping into the well...? I must have gotten burned at some point."

The priestess's smile grew for an instant after Kaimi finished, but it shank a moment later. "We don't think that you were burned." She began, "...in fact, the priestess believes the wounds were mostly self-inflicted. As near as we have been able to tell, you pushed your internal essence beyond safe bounds, and it reacted against you." The priestess shook her head, "You'll need to be more careful in the future."

Kaimi lifted her hand to cradle her temple and cheek gently, internally working at her response. Acting stupid was better than fessing up, wasn't it? A memory of the silvered ghost briefly flickered in her mind before she continued, "Well, I suppose that's good on the burn front then. I'm not sure I entirely follow on the rest. But more importantly, is my mother okay? Was anyone else hurt?"

The priestess' vivid green-brown eyes shut momentarily. Before she nodded and smiled kindly, "Your mother brought you to us, when they found you outside the well. Your father joined her about an hour later - both of them were very worried about you, but were fine." The young bronze-skinned woman gestured to the side, "The two of them are staying with your aunt, I believe, as of this afternoon." Her expression grew somber, "But, yes, the fire elemental destroyed your house."

At the news of her family's safety, the new Solar seemed to gain more life. Just as quickly she deflated once more, guilt dragging her spirit down at the destruction she had managed to call upon their home. Kaimi's eyes cast downward, quiet for a small while. She managed to speak with a raw, raspy voice, "What of the raw material in the basement? I couldn't find a replacement for that obsidian if I tried...It would not generally be a concern, but you see, it's not mine to lose."

The priestess frowned, "What do you mean?"

"I was instructed to make another statue." Simple is best.

The girl shook her head, slowly. "...the structure was ruined by the fire." The priestess began, "As I understand it, anyway. Even if the flames didn't destroy the obsidian in your basement, I doubt it would be safe to attempt to recover it - it might not even be possible." She paused, then frowned. "Why is it so important?"

Kaimi steadies herself, no longer resting on her hand, "It was an agreement I made with Maka Koa. The Volcano Lord was impressed with the statue I had made and requested for me to make another. One for mortals to worship, and the other for himself. I couldn't possibly replace it, and I am concerned about keeping him waiting." She's now making rather hard eye contact with the priestess, watching her reaction.

At a mention of her lord, the priestess's expression becomes unreadable and serious. As Kaimi continued to speak, her expression darkened and grew troubled.

"...yes, that is important." She replied simply, before shaking her head. "Our lord is not known for his kindness." The priestess turned, moving a hand to rest on the knob of the door before herself. She paused, as if struck by a sudden thought. "Ah," The girl glanced over her shoulder, "yes. Are you hungry yet? It has been a while since you've eaten, and I was instructed to offer you something light, if you feel up to eating."

She gives a small nod and moves to stand - it still hurts but she's getting better at it. "It would be appreciated, yes. You've been very hospitable, do you want me to do anything while you get that ready?"

She shook her head. "I know that you're not human, but your wounds are serious." The priestess smiled, ruefully. "I would prefer if you stayed if this room until I return - I won't be long, I promise. After you've eaten, you're free to come and go as you like - we don't believe you're in any danger, but would prefer to keep you under observation for a little longer, to be safe."

"Alright, that makes sense to me, thank you priestess." She wouldn't hold the beauty in this room longer than she wanted to be there.

With that, the young woman departed.

Some time later, there was another knock on the door of Kaimi's cell-like room.

Kaimi runs her hands over her outfit quickly to make herself look more presentable, "Please come in."

The door was opened by a beast of a woman. Powerfully built and with iron-grey hair, this new priestess stepped through, eyes glowing with molten light in the relative dimness. "The obsidian you were concerned about remains in the basement of your home," the woman stated, without preamble, eyes resting heavily on Kaimi, "according to the goddess of your home, at least. The statue also appears to be there, though both will require great effort to retrieve, I believe it may be possible within three days."

Kaimi's eyes brightened a little, "Ah, she survives? I'm grateful and will need to thank her myself, then." A beat, "Priestess, I will assist however I can to ensure that we recover the statue and the Obsidian for Maka Koa. I am certainly concerned about pushing his patience, though. I am fine with whatever time you need but..." Kaimi seemed to have trouble finishing that statement, especially while getting the worst hard stare ever. "What can I do to buy us time?"

The priestess breathed a soft chuckle "I said, 'appears'." She gestured sharply. "Walk with me." Turning, the woman strode down the hallway ahead of Kaimi - she had clearly been informed that she was capable of walking.

Kaimi follows quietly, this was not a priestess to argue with nor keep waiting.

The priestess led Kaimi through the common-room, and deep into the temple beyond. "Your goddess informed the priestess I sent that the statue had suffered great damage." She stated, flatly. "Though most of its materials remain where they had been before." The pair progressed through a heavy stone door, and into a larger - yet still cell-like chamber - beyond.

Kaimi frowns at the news, but doesn't respond.

As the woman reached the back of the room, she placed her hand on the wall - and suddenly, the dark stone parted. A wall of heat burst out from the oven-like stone chamber. A large stone square glowed cherry-red in the center. Without another word, the woman strode inside - seemingly expecting Kaimi to follow her into the oven. She avoided the square, and moved toward the stone wall on the right - once more laying her hand on it, and compelling the stone to part.

Kaimi squinted her eyes as she followed the woman, recognizing the heat from before.

In-spite of the oppressive volcanic heat, Kaimi was able to keep up with the elder priestess through the second hidden door. This one lead down a flight of stairs - the left wall of which radiated heat. As the pair progressed downward and further away from the first hidden room, the air gradually cooled. Eventually, the came to a landing - and a set of stone doors. This time, with a mundane lock and chain. The grey haired woman removed a key, and slid it in, turning it with a click.

Beyond, a humanoid being of flame with the lower-body of a snake waited - attended by another kneeling priestess. The high priestess gestured for Kaimi to enter.

The dark-haired woman did as she was bid. Behind her, the elder priestess followed without expression.

"That," she pointed to the lamia, "is the latest servant of the volcanoes." The woman's expression was unreadable as she regarded Kaimi. "He was acquired last night."

Kaimi regards the snake man with a look of awe and mild confusion. The priestess can probably assume she got her head hit on the way down the well or something. Her only reply is a rather small affirmative, hoping not to draw attention to herself.

After a few moments pass and Kaimi makes no remarks to the spectacle before her, the High Priestess turns and begins to make her way back the way they came.

"We will be employing our Fire Elementals to destroy what remains of the wreckage of your house, to retrieve the material." She stated, bluntly, before turning her molten eyes to Kaimi at the stairwell's peak. "Unless you do not believe you can fulfill your contract in a week. In which case, a sacrifice will be necessary to avert the lord's anger. Your house and all that remains therein may be sufficient."

Kaimi followed back up the stairs and...reluctantly meets the Priestess's gaze. "I...I unfortunately have no way of knowing how to expedite this process, so you need to do what you must. But...the house goddess...she saved our lives. Is there nothing more we can do?"

The Priestess shrugged, "He will be highly displeased - I admit, I'm shocked he was willing to give you a week." She turned and strode into the inner sanctuary. "If you insist on preserving that ruin, you might make a sufficient sacrifice yourself. Such a measure may be necessary in any case, of course."

Kaimi's nails are now digging into her own palms. "I...I was unaware that the Volcanoes accepted those who have ascended in some manner. Perhaps I am not all here, but that is a glimmer I do recall. Or have times changed so drastically?"

Inside her own chamber, the high Priestess turned her molten eyes toward Kaimi.

They turned a crystalline purple.

"When our healing spells failed to affect you," the High Priestess stated softly, "I wondered." Her eyes were fixed firmly upon Kaimi now, seemingly boring into her soul. "Are you saying that you have the blood of the dynasts in your veins?" She narrowed her gaze, "As your essence is not Terrestrial, I have a hard time accepting this. Which god claims you?"

As the High Priestess's suggestion settled in, Kaimi fell silent for a moment. The injured Twilight blinked once. Suddenly, when she opened her eyes - the world was washed out in the brilliant light of the sun - as the roof of the temple suddenly vanished, the sun at noon superimposed itself above the temple.

"Having trouble?" Reclining leisurely against the cool side of the stairwell behind her was a woman with deep-brown skin and shaven dark-brown hair. Her clothing was light and airy - and showed off her deep-brown skin. Viveka bit into an apple she held in her hand.

Kaimi blinked yet again at the realization of what was happening. The figure on the stairs was certainly recognizable and not nearly as intimidating as her last entrance set her up to be. And yet, there was no doubt in her mind that before her was Viveka. "It seems rather difficult, yes. I assume you're informed of the situation?" Her eyes settled on the apple that the nomad was crunching on, "And how did you even get that?"

She shrugged, then bit into it again. "Your compassion was sufficient for me to awaken the Shard's power and use Worldly Illusion again. I sensed your indecision, not the situation." Viveka smiled, as pin-sized lines of crystal crept up from her collar to her face, and her Twilight sign appeared on her brow. "You should be honored to have my assistance in a difficult moral dilemma."

Kaimi frowned slightly. She was not about to reject assistance given her state, but part of her wished this phantom to leave again. Knowing better, she decided to situate herself leaning against the wall, at least for the vision, "I suppose I should thank you for the assistance while you are here, then. The dilemma is thus: Yesterday I made a deal with a Volcano God to craft him a superior statue to the one that I just finished. I agreed in full confidence that I could accomplish this. However, twelve hours have passed, I seem to have survived but my house is a mere skeleton." Worry stitched itself into her features, "The completed statue has been damaged, and my tools have been destroyed. Even if these weren't the case, I am too injured to complete the task fast enough to appease my god. He didn't seem to take to well to the whole potential 'delay', and likely took it as an insult."

Kaimi probably didn't NEED to take a pause here for breath, but she is still a creature of habit.

"So the High Priestess offered to burn my home - and the house goddess who saved my and my mother's lives - and its contents as an apology and to clear the deal with Maka Koa. However, I wanted to at least thank the goddess for her deed." The young solar takes a moment to investigate the cuts on her right hand, "It doesn't help that she has the features of those in my family line. It doesn't feel right to reward her with a fiery death."

"Bummer." Viveka replied, nonchalantly, biting into the flesh of the apple again. Mouth full, the woman continued, "'n ma dey the g'odds kn'hew t'ere plac'." She swallowed. "As I recall, your entire country is predicated on the sacrifice of people to your blood-bloated terrestrial megalomaniac volcano gods." She chuckled, then threw the half-finished fruit over her shoulder - it bounced, leaving wet marks the the stairs as it fell - and eventually came to rest on the landing below. "Its always so disappointing to see how predictably people react when they know the victim."

Pushing off the wall, Kaimi's eyes glistened a little in the midday sunlight out of anger and defeat, "Of course, I had nearly forgotten how calloused you are. Must have been a bump to the head after whatever the hell happened after I jumped in the well." Crossing her arms, her gaze ignores the discarded fruity core. "If we didn't have the gods to protect us we would be subjected to whatever the damn Immaculates please, and truth be told I'd rather jump into the volcano myself. And." She jabs a cut-up forefinger in Viveka's direction accusingly, "Perhaps you weren't raised amongst close family members, but this house goddess has sheltered me my entire life"

"This is almost on the line of murdering my own brother, and that." She cuts the air with a swipe of her hand, in a flattened blade shape, "Is betrayal at its worst"

"Hm." Viveka's eyes flickered between Kaimi and the frozen High Priestess. "Well," she stated, nonchalantly, "you clearly would have trouble killing a butterfly, let alone that woman there. I suppose killing them all is out." She shrugged, a short bow and arrow of a shining golden material flickering into then out of her hands for an instant. "I also note that you are injured. Essence-scars from last night's heroics -" she shrugged, then chuckled coldly, "- I always left such 'heroics' to my expendable Terrestrials and mates, and our Dawns, of course. Anyone can swing a sword." She arced an eyebrow at Kaimi, "Well, any one except you, obviously."

"I suppose," She shut her eyes, then completed matter-of-factly, "if you find the options presented to be unsuitable, you'll simply have to find another answer."

"Have you considered Demons?" Viveka asked, cheerfully.

Kaimi's gaze warped from furious to defensive, then to confused. Mostly at the cheer in tone, "I...What, no. That's just asking for more trouble than I can afford." Another pause, "You mean to summon demons for this crafting project, not to murder everyone, for clarification."

Viveka chuckled, "You are so blunt in your estimation of the Yozi's spawn." She smiled, striding past Kaimi, then gesturing for her to follow. "I was immediately going to suggest finding a Thaumaturge capable of summoning a Bottlebug to heal your injuries until you could afford to rest, but, I think that may be a bandaid solution and does not address the very real problem of your inadequate skill and facilities."

Resisting rolling her eyes, the young Twilight turned to follow, "Yes, because not all of us can be as perfect as you, especially not off the bat. However, I will have to agree with you that the downgrade in studio is going to cost me valuable time." Pride somewhat injured, her full attention is given as they walk, "In theory I could try to work without the bottle bug, it may take more time and money than I have available to locate a thaumaturge who is willing to help me. I was thinking of perhaps trying to ask the other god that appeared for assistance, but I am probably too tangled in this damn mess as it is."

"Hm..." Viveka murmured, as she read a book that had appeared suddenly in her hands, "...the Western Godling of Stone Arts. Essence 3." She tsked, even as she strode out of the inner-sanctum and...into Kaimi's living room? She took the nearest available seat. "I suppose he could be of some assistance, but as he is a minor Terrestrial deity, I would not count on him too far. They do not appear to respect our divine mandate anymore -" a bitter-frown, "- though I suppose that is to be expected, after those back-stabbing Terrestrials betrayed us all."

Kaimi paused upon entering the room, a sense of haunt overcoming her knowing that this place was destroyed. She shook it as best she could and took a seat herself. "I -" She shook her head after looking at the book, dismissing the question. It was meaningless in this conversation. "Alright, so demons can't help me much, the gods won't at all and I have too inferior of skills for the time frame given. Is that what you are trying to tell me? Because I already figured out I'm in a bad spot, a summary wasn't needed." Her thumb traces her jawline near the chin, giving it a stroke in thought. "And they don't seem to know my nature yet, which is good. It's incredibly tempting to try to bail out now, but I couldn't ever come back, even if it worked."

She shrugged, "I didn't say that, but you need to work with your strengths." Viveka smiled, "You're a Twilight, not a Dawn or an Eclipse. Summoning Demons and Elementals is more our area of expertise, not forging alliances or slaying everything. Still, perhaps a simpler route would be best: Collect the gods of your home, and allow the Priestesses to sacrifice the ruins. Perhaps you can flee with them."

Kaimi seems to think for another few moments, "I don't think I could house them all. But that is an idea. I owe the house goddess the most, perhaps the well god as - wait, what happened with that?" Interrupting her own thoughts her gaze lifts towards Viveka and her smile. It seemed a tad less vicious this time around. "I cannot leave Maka Koa empty-handed, but I'm unsure of what to do with that one. Unless, that is, he reverted to his normal state after...whatever occurred."

She shrugged. "I wouldn't know. His Solar-endowed essence should have evaporated, though."

Another sigh, this one deep and exasperated, "Well, I feel less guilty about that one, then." She looks away and around the room, allowing the memories to soak into her mind again like a sponge. "I'm probably going to regret asking, but when I do go to leave....do you have a recommendation? Some ruins somewhere or something similar, or even just a neutral ground to hide out in for a while?"

Viveka laughed, "My domains were in the far North, on the Northern side of the Blessed Isle and the far Southeast. They're far from close." She stood, then shrugged, "You know your time better than I do, though I gather that this, "Immaculate Order" is quite far-reaching in its influence."

Kaimi's frown was practically etching itself onto her features permanently, "Yeah, from what I know they are crawling all over the Blessed Isle, so that's out. I'd need a hell of a ship to get to your other domains, though I think with that vague of directions you might as well simply point and hope I find it." The deep frown was in partial jest, and after this statement her features relax. "But seriously, if I head towards the blessed Isle I might as well ship myself on a silver platter for the dragons. I'll try to find something a little less damning." Resting the back of her head on the cushion behind her, Kaimi's eyes close. "I guess that's the plan, then. Agree to these terms, try to beat them out of the burning building with the Goddess and flee off the island?" It was more confirmation and an attempt to steel herself for the acts than a question.

Her head tilts towards the ancient Twilight, "I know you are going to be biased in this answer, but was Sorcery worth the trouble for you?"

Viveka shrugged, "Not particularly. I was never fond of that nonsense."

There was a pause between the two as Kaimi absorbed the answer she wasn't expecting. "A-alright. Thank you." She sits up in her chair, "I suppose I have made my choice then." Standing she makes to dust herself off-another habit. "This has been...surprisingly pleasant. I suppose I'll see you next time, whenever that is."

Viveka glanced skyward. The sun had grown noticeably dimmer and smaller - night had fallen. "When your Essence reaches the Third Magnitude - or when your mind is stronger and you sleep, I suppose I may visit you again." She shrugged, then stood. "I find your weakness insulting, though your taste for thrown weapons confounds me."

Kaimi blinks at the curious phantom, "I have my reasons, just as you seem to for Sorcery. Why you didn’t find it more useful is my curiosity. It seems to have many applications, and it in particular seems it would be useful all across the board. I once saw a man who summoned something of a small tornado to carry him elsewhere. I cannot help but think of how useful that would be in any situation that I might need to have a hastened retreat. If sorcery is full of such tools, surely it would be worth whatever price one had to pay. At least, that's what it looks like from the outside."

"Hm..." Viveka glanced skyward. "...it appears we are out of time." She shrugged, "Why don't you ask a Terrestrial why they have not been initiated into Sorce..."

Kaimi was abruptly returned to the stairwell, and the High Priestess.

That question was for another day.

((Another short gap. The High Priestess did not have the kindest words for Kaimi, but Kaimi refused to provide a definite answer to her questions. We pick up an hour or so later.))

The heat of the day had ebbed, with the sun now past its zenith in the sky, as Kaimi - body still crisscrossed with scars - traversed the even black concrete of Gateway's main thoroughfares. As it was now the height of the season of Wood, the city was crowded with farmers and their drawn carts - the reason her father was away from home so much now. Her escort was the young priestess who had come to her room earlier this day. Heads turned toward them as they past - most of the travelers seemed to be fixating on Kaimi's injuries.

As the pair approached the district's center, traffic began to ebb. The two disembarked from the back of a commandeered cart - it was an honor to carry a priestess - and bid its driver farewell. Lani, the young priestess, remained close to Kaimi, as if expected to have to catch the injured woman at a moment's notice, as they began to walk the last leg of this journey.

"...only been a priestess for a little while." Lani finished, smiling.

"Oh? About how long?" Kaimi didn't look back over her shoulder, but the tone change implied that she was, in fact, at least mildly interested.

If the Priestess noticed, she didn't remark on it. "Only a little over a month." Lani replied, "I'm still working on mastering my Essence." She volunteered, "But it is...harder than I expected."

"I must admit, I don't know what that would entail at all. You mentioned being more careful with it but..." She slows to walk next to the priestess now that there's more space in this area, "I don't know where to start. Any advice so I can avoid," gesticulating towards her spiderwebbed scars, a smile is offered, "this?"

"..." Lani didn't reply immediately, though her eyes now regarded her own hand. "...as I understand, it is possible to push our magic beyond safe bounds." She, eventually stated. Then shook her head, "I...don't really know how you pushed your own powers, though."

Kai rubbed the back of her neck, not entirely feigning embarrassment, "I couldnt' tell you, whatever happened beyond me jumping into the well is just gone. And you're the first person I saw after I woke up. So it must have been a hell of a push." Another turn reminded the craftswoman that this walk always seemed shorter when the task was less weighted. "I'm guessing there are exercises and the like to keep yourself from doing that normally?"

She shook her head. "Its mostly mediation." Lani looked up, glancing around the slightly emptier streets, than shrugged. "The senior priestesses told me that, if I need more power, it's better to reach than die." There was a pause, as if she was thinking. "...once I get a better handle on our martial arts, I'll begin to travel the island. Hopefully I'll be alright."

One more turn and Kaimi was on her home path. She paused, memory attempting to fill in the missing pieces and replace them in her mind even as she approached. "I hope you have safe travels when you do, then." Her voice trailed to almost a whisper at the tail end, hesitant to proceed.

The Priestess's bare feet moved passed Kaimi's position, perhaps oblivious to Kaimi's own inner struggle. A moment later, Lani turned back toward Kaimi, her black hair and cotton skirt swaying in the light sea-breeze which filled the streets. She gestured for Kaimi to follow - a faintly sad smile on her face - and glimpse her former home. The scent of smoke still lingered in the air - though it was faint.

Once pristine plaster walls now stood blackened and filled with gaps. Yet, somehow, the frame of the house itself remained standing. The front yard of the house, miraculously remained green - though Kaimi could easily see that the fire had wrecked greater degrees of damage further in - with the gaps growing larger and larger the further toward the modest backyard her eyes moved.

Hands balling up into fists, Kaimi steeled herself and followed the priestess toward the ruins. Many years of memories swam through her mind, still trying to replace the gaping holes in the structure and patch over the burns. Keeping her stable and in the present, the scent of ash called for Kaimi to crouch and sweep her hand through a small pile, fingers testing the fine charcoal to put her mind to rest. This has happened, and she was now here. Although it was a waking nightmare, she still stood and had to continue. Standing again, she picked up the pace to catch up to Lani, fingers blackened by soot.

Lani appeared to have been drawn to one of the corners of the building - and was now brushing – some miraculously stable – ash from the pole. The flames had not burned this part as badly as the back. "...Kaimi." She sounded...surprised? "This...wood. Its..." Her hand rested on the corner-pole of the front room of the burned house now. "I...think its stone."

Kaimi approached, voice quiet, "Well, is it wood or stone." She approaches the corner and blinks at it and the lack of it crumbling against the Priestess' pressure. "Well that's not too unexpected, some of the better buildings have stone components

"Yes, but this feels..." Her hand moved up and down the pole. "...it feels like wood. I can even see the grain! And the color..."

As the Priestess's hand rubbed the soot away, the pole was revealed to be bone-white. "...this doesn't look like the volcanic rock we usually use."

Kaimi gingerly runs her finger along this curiosity, "Huh, you're right. That's uh....that's a new one for me. We don't have anything else like this in the house that I know of." She leans in for a closer look.

It...doesn't look natural. The Solar realized realized.

"...this isn't like anything I've worked with before. Know of any...I dunno, reason that Maka Koa's visit would mess with materials at all?" Taking a step back she crosses her arms loosely in thought.

Lani nodded, biting her lip. "The center of the Volcano Brother's power is their volcanoes." She stated, as if reciting a lesson, turning back toward Kaimi and clasping her hands behind her back. "They're surrounded by Wyld-zones, and the magic we draw on from them touches on chaos." The Priestess ran a hand through her hair, "...but it isn't as virulent, of course." She added, glancing toward the door of the house. The inside was filled with light...her eyes narrowed on the visible concrete floor. It was bone-white as well.

"...if there was enough of his essence around, though..." She trailed off.

Kaimi frowned, "Perhaps we should be careful then." Her gaze followed the priestess' as she trailed off, cautiously opening her eyes to the spirit world.

"...well, from what it sounds like this house has already been searched, so I think we'll be okay." Her eyes rest on Lani, as she notices - with some surprise - a fiery brand on the young woman's forehead. Nodding faintly, she walked past the priestess towards the stone-bleached area. "I should think the house goddess remains, from what the High Priestess mentioned. So that should be a point in our favor, right?" Kaimi your smile isn't very convincing. Nonetheless, she proceeds with caution.

The young woman nods, but pauses. "Do you want me to come with you?" Lani called, glancing off to the side. "The High Priestess said this would be a personal errand for you."

Kaimi nods over her shoulder, "Yeah I uh...I would like some time alone for this, if that's cool. No offense, priestess."

She smiled, "None taken." Lani nodded, "'ll look around while you say your good-byes. Just wait out in the yard for me if I'm not done by the time you finish - I'm going to look at the backyard, then to say hello to some of your neighbors. If you get in trouble..." She smiled a little sheepishly, "...scream?"

Kaimi nodded, "Yeah, I'll try." With a wave she proceeded and fought the onslaught of despair that threatened her mind at the moment. Either way she shook this, she would have had to come back here. At least this was on her own terms...was the thought process that ran as she scanned the area. She had already killed, or was killing the smallest of gods here, that was enough of a weight on her mind.

Kaimi proceeds through the small foyer that had served as a place for her mother and her own customers to deal. Fragments of roof-tiles and burned out furniture littered the floor of this chamber. Her magic augmented senses revealed the flickering presences of Least Gods, as they appeared and danced around the remaining objects - many blackened and burned like their domains. Yet, as she proceeded to the second room - and the first living chamber - she still saw no sign of the House Goddess...

...but did see a large pit in the house's center. The collapsed basement. Here, the walls were completely deteriorated, and she could glimpse...blackened blades of grass? Through them. A moment later, she glimpsed Lani walking slowly over the black lawn. The young Priestess favored her with a wave, before picking up her own pace a little - perhaps eager to give her privacy.

"Kaimi?" A familiar voice from behind her, called.

There was a weight that she wish was lifted when she heard her name called. "Yeah, it's me." What do you even say to a house goddess that was probably not going to live through the next day? Careful not to stir too much ash into the air, the Twilight approached the voice. "The priestess left, for what it's worth."

The House Goddess, sat in one of the room's corners - before a surprisingly in-tact bank of blackened wood. In her hand was an equally soot-coated brush, while a pile of ash rested in her burnt hand. Kaimi felt her throat tighten as she took in the collage of angry red, charred black and puss-yellow flesh that now covered the goddess's form - in places, the brilliant white of bone was even visible. That the woman kneeling had an unsettling likeness to both herself and her mother made the image all the worse.

"I'm glad to see you survived." The Goddess offered, as her tool dissipated into nothingness.

Kaimi's hand moved to cover her mouth instinctually, but she managed to stay the action. The flinch was still there though, and the Solar's mind and gut both twisted in torment at the sight. However, the flinch and a mild look of mixed horror and pity were the only things that revealed this. "We did, we both did but..." Cursing under her breath, Kai manages to approach the figure and kneel, taking in the full horror with all her senses. "Goddess, you saved us but...gods I was hoping you weren't this hurt."

The Goddess smiled and, moving an arm with ease that seemed entirely incongruous with her injures, gently urged Kaimi's hand down. "For a Solar," She murmured, "you are surprisingly ignorant of the divine condition." Her lips quirked. "I appear like this because my domain is like this - it hurt when it was happening, but, aside from a few..." She gestured to her legs, from which bones of white stone extended, snapped at obscene angles and piercing the skin, "...practical concerns, I am fine."

The knife in Kaimi's heart twisted, but not due to the observation, "Well, it seems all I know about the 'divine condition' is that there's a very disappointed, angry spirit that likes to drop in and make commentary on how much I suck. So I guess I'll just have to find a way to file through that information for the…important bits." A smile was forced here.

"But what I do know isn't good, Goddess. I messed up. In fact, if you'll excuse me, I fucked up big time here. And there isn't much I can do to clear my name with the Volcano Gods, or really anyone. And I'm not exactly the most stellar at coming up with plans on the fly." Turning, she leaned against the wall next to the Goddess and took a seat. "But long story short, I need to get you out of here." Eyes glassy, she tore her gaze away to fight the tears better. "I owe you that much, at least. But I'll need your okay on this."

She cocked her hairless head. "What do you mean?" ...the action was stomach turning still. Kaimi was fortunate that the scent of smoke - acrid as it was - was all that filled the room.

Stammering, Kai continued, "Maka Koa is...quite upset, to say the least, that I can't complete the deal. And I am in no shape to attempt to make him two unique and amazing statues out of material I cannot afford, with tools that are inferior to the ones I owned..." Getting choked up, she paused to take a soot-filled breath. "I was scared what they would do to mom, to dad, to Malik if I didn't agree, apparently the only I could clear the most individuals of this whole fiasco safely. But there was a call for a sacrifice and....the demand was this entire area and its contents." Voice now a whisper, she forced out in a hurry, "I want to get you out of here safely, to reassign your domain. But I need your cooperation to do so. I don't...I owe you at least my best attempt."

"..." The Goddess was silent, then, ran a hand over the floor - leaving behind a trial of blood and divine fluids. "...I suppose with this Wyld Mutation, the house is now one very valuable - to say nothing of the growing obsidian mound Lord Maka Koa created yesterday." She did not seem terribly thrilled about the suggestion, but did chuckle. "...your mother told me she'd rebuild here, when it was affordable. Much of the house is still usable, and I'm sure I can get the smoke-smell out eventually..." Another pause, "And she said she'd keep praying to me, to slow my own deterioration."

Kaimi drew her knees close to her chest and wrapped her arms around them-a childish gesture, but the divine creature didn't feel much like a solar at the moment. "I don't know what kind of domain I could give you. Hell, if-...when they find out, they may still come after us. But the High Priestess has already begun preparations, this is supposed to be our goodbye." With a weak shake of her head, she closes her eyes and rests her forehead on her knee, effectively hiding. "But I could bring you back when they start to rebuild, or we could go to a better spot. Start somewhere new, I don't know, this is happening too fast for me to know my path. I just know that I can't just sit here and say 'okay, yeah, sacrifice my house goddess. That's the best way to thank her for everything she's done for my family and myself.'"

The Goddess smiled softly. "...I could cut the connection between myself and this Domain at any time. My body wouldn't heal until I found a new Domain though, and my personality would deteriorate quickly without one. But..." She shook her head, then paused, obviously struggling with herself. Then, "...I should leave this one though, you're right." A small chuckle, "Though I will have to kill a Least God first." She shook her head, "Fortunately, they barely qualify as living beings. But..." The burned woman she shook her head again.

"...the value of my domain won't decrease overmuch if I abandon it. With the mutations taken into account, I expect Maka Koa will be satisfied."

A pair of watered eyes peek out of their hiding spot and she uncoils her right arm, flexing her fingers outward. If any daggers survived, she hoped they would find their way back to her. "There is truth in that, I suppose. At the very least, it will buy us enough time to leave with Mom." It wasn't happening as quickly as she thought, causing her brow to furrow a little, then she sighed. "It’s not much, but I have an idea. And if we are leaving permanently that's what I am thinking would be one of the better options."

Thoughtfully, Kaimi's hand moved to the bone white stone floor. "...give me a little time, I’ll see what I can whip up."

((An experiment in Mass Combat. Fair warning, this is probably the worst raw - it gets a little confusing.))

Two weeks had passed since the night Kaimi had Exalted, and her encounter with the fire elemental that had destroyed her house. Her injuries, inflicted by the glorious light of her Exaltation, were nearly healed - though they still littered her skin in a latice work of scabs, marring her otherwise pretty face. Drawing on her family's connections - and limited funds - Kaimi and her mother arranged passage with a merchant caravan heading inland, accompanied by the young priestess Lani.

Since they had left Gateway two and a half days ago, their company had grown much smaller, as travelers had joined up and split off for different farmtowns they had passed through. Now, within a day's travel from Peacetown - the farmtown nearest to Kaimi's grandmother's landholding - they were reduced and the guards, by consequence, more vigilante.

Presently, she was sitting on the edge of a wagon - caravans regularly sell passage to travelers - along with perhaps 10 other civilians. The wagons are spaced out comfortably, with perhaps a score of guards accompanying you. The black cement road is smooth under the wheels of the carts, and lined on either side by simple wooden fences. A deep ditch divides the road from the cultivated jungles of crop-trees beyond - a normal sight on a trip through inland Wavecrest. Farms grow virtually any kind of plant imaginable on Wavecrest - and most take the form of palm-trees.

Kaimi has been quiet for the majority of the run, sifting through some of her knew knowledge in order to better commit it to memory. Sometimes she'll brave enough to have a low decibel discussion with Lani, but is mindful that the walls have ears. She will neither confirm nor deny any of the rumors, and seems to prefer to simply ignore them as best she can. No one has asked her directly, yet.

She does listen to the bards accompanying them intently though, perhaps she could glean some information from the tales that they weave. Sometimes she'll run her fingers over where she keeps her brother's knife and the goddess fetish in her coat, but otherwise only makes movement when she absolutely has to stretch.

The bard's songs were not particularly remarkable. This particular woman had accompanied the caravan for the entire trip - Kaimi had the impression that she was, in-fact, sleeping with one of the merchant-guides (Kaimi wasn't sure which. Perhaps all of them) and appeared to be taking a break from folk songs, to provide a simple melody to break up some of the monotony of the trip. Soon, Kaimi expected, she'd trade off with one of the others.

Kaimi would grumble if she were her younger self. Wagons and ships, both were on her shit list. She'd figure out some mode of transportation that she didn't absolutely hate, someday. There was no stopping her mother nor Lani gossiping so she simply didn't add to it. Maybe she should ask Lani about that funky tornado-ride she saw that one time.

"Hail Merchant folk!" A sudden voice - male? Called, from amid the trees on at the front of the caravan on the right side. Kaimi could faintly make out his bronze-skin from where she sat. It wasn't terribly uncommon for farmers to call to them as they passed, but most were women.

Kaimi's eyes catch on the bronze skin but she seems rather disinterested.

"There are women in the trees!" Someone called - before streaks of bronze and muted dark green, leapt onto the road - and lept at the nearest guards.

Emerging from the overhang trees in a sudden surge of motion, a handful of scantily clad bronze-skinned women through themselves at the caravan guards, harden wood tonfa lashing viciously. Seated on the side of one of the wagons, Kaimi and her mother watched – eyes wide – as cries of gasps of pain rose from their escorts. The strange women’s first strike was vicious – but it didn’t look like damage was serious. Their escort was protected by buff-jackets and harden wood bucklers; if they hadn’t noticed the attack before it came, the results would certainly had been different.

The guards countered quickly – most of them having drawn their ironwood chopping blades before the women even arrived – but, the women were quick. Narrow gashes of scarlet appeared on their outer-limbs, but the wounds were shallow.

“Merchant-folk!” From the corner of her eye, Kaimi noticed the lone-man among their assailants had appeared atop the leading wagon. He was uninjured. “Know that you have been robbed by Youjee and his beautiful Kunoichi Bandits!” Nimbly, the man dropped down from that wagon, swung down – ramming his feet into the wooden door separating him from the interior.

The door cracks under the force of his kick, and the bandit's foot penetrates it!

...but that's all.

His momentum propelled him forward anyway, and he slammed face-first into the wooden structure, then crumpled back and fell to the ground heavily.

"...ow."

Suddenly, he was on his feet again. "Well played noble door! But -" He was suddenly out of Kaimi's sight, as he closed on the door again. She did not hear whatever his next statement was.

“Kaimi!” It was Lani. “Stay behind me!” The Priestess had appeared in front of her, and in her hand was a solid-looking staff of black wood. She braced herself, then grew very still – breathing even.

The scarred solar gives an affirmative "Done," and she draws her brother's knife in her main hand. Attention drawing from the terrifying ninjas to their leader, the Twilight decided to take a gamble to protect her party. It's not like they had any decent goods to steal. Kaimi looks to her mother and utters, "We need to get you to safety." Grabbing her mother's wrist with her free hand, she makes to draw her mother to cover.

Her mother - Elima - allowed Kaimi to pull her from her seat on the side of the cart without resistance, but, instead of following her daughter, took a firm stance. There was a heavy wooden club in her strong and calloused hand. "No, Kaimi." She replied gently, carefully laying her hand over hand daughter's to uncurl the girl's fingers. "I'll stay, you hide. You're hurt." She smiled, and though she stayed behind the Priestess, moved to interpose herself between the Ninja and her daughter.

The ninjas, for their part, seemed engrossed in batting and dodging the guards. They'd doffed their tonfa and were now striking with a flurry of kicks and punches.

"Mother, no no mom don't do this." Kaimi rolled the knife across her knuckles out of a nervous habit and pulled up next to her mother, "PLEASE get back under there, I don't need you hurt, seriously."

Elima's brown eyes darted after the moments of the nearest ninja woman - surprisingly, it appeared that her mother was able to follow her. "Kaimi," She whispered, holding the cudgel at the ready - in her hands, it would likely be vicious, though Kaimi knew her mother was thoroughly unskilled - "we can't outrun these people. And, if the guards go down, there's no chance of stopping them. But if we work together, there's a chance."

At her side, a sudden rush of light flared from the Priestess's slender body. Pale green wisps of shadowless light exploded over her bronzed skin, as Lani suddenly whirled her blackstaff into a fighter's stance, expression fierce as her eyes sought the nearest woman.

Her expression instantly melted into one of confusion - she couldn't find...

Kaimi remains behind the priestess somewhat, nervously hissing at her kin, "Mom we don't have anything important other than ourselves let's just get out of dodge."

Grimly, her mother just shook her head.

Growling in frustration, Kaimi's scanned back towards the leader who was trying his luck at kicking the door in. He was the leader, right? "That one, if anyone..." She muttered, moving toward him.

"Hahah! Well played door, thou ist immune to my larcenous hands!" The lone man among the kunoichi cried, before laughing again. "There is only one choice! I must -" He suddenly whirled, as a pair of guards closed in - along with Kaimi, from a greater distance. Nearby, the merchant at the head of the second wagon now had a sling out.

"I see the great Youjee has company!" He snickered, ironwood shortsword at the ready. A sudden whipcrack startled him, as the cart behind him surged forward. "Gah!" Swiftly, he spun and took off after the moving cart. Legs tensing, the man jumped - explosively! - and landed easily on the narrow step, before the locked door of the sealed cart. "Ahah -" His triumphant laughter ended in a grunt of pain, as the merchant's sling-thrown rock caught him in the chest. "Come on!" The bandit sounded quite annoyed, as he threw a glare of hate at the offending woman.

Kaimi took that opportunity to fling her knife.

"Fuck!"

Blood burst into the air around the magically hardened wood of her dagger, as drove point first into the man's shoulder.

Breaking off a growl with a quick shake of his head, the bandit chuckled, ripped the knife from his shoulder, then winked at Kaimi. Hurriedly, he hurled it at the nearest of the two closing guards. His other hand reached up, snapping a small fetish from his neck - then slamming it down on the ground behind the - now slowing - wagon.

The knife flew wide, and bounced off the ground - landing perhaps five meters to Kaimi's right.

When the small red charm struck the ground, a gate of red wood - easily large enough to drive a wagon through, exploded from the ground. Within, Kaimi could make out a strange and temple building, set before a strange fast-shifting nightscape and surrounded by mist. Without time to halt their momentum, the two guardswomen stumbled inside - and were immediately set upon by a pair of bronze blurs. More kunoichi.

Kaimi moves towards her knife and it flicks into her grasp as she begins to angle herself around the gate. While moving her eyes begin to analyze the construct before her. It would be unwise to rush in like those guards, she was looking to see if she could find a weakness. Her knife twirls in her hand as she thinks, something of a twitch.

A chancel. She'd heard about these 4-D spaces - within them, reality was malleable, and the Fair Folk were much, much more dangerous.

Kaimi turns her head and shouts to the remaining guards, "Don't go in there!" She moves around the gate and to the side. Taking a deep breath, she held her knife at the ready and took careful aim...

Lani and her mother were suddenly beside her. From the way their eyes kept darting around, it was rather clear that whatever magic the ninja women were employing made them quite thoroughly difficult to find - for mortals.

The two nearest women finally broke past the guards - charging past Kaimi to take up positions on either side of the torii, protecting Youjee from further challengers, as the two guards who had actually entered the gate stumbled back, parrying the tonfa of the two inside the alternate space hurriedly. Both looked battered - but neither of the ninja pressed their advantage, instead disappearing from sight.

Another cry of pain from Youjee told Kaimi that something had gone wrong again.

Kaimi gives a hard stare into the space where she suspects one of the kunoichi are, and stays on the defensive. Her voice is loud enough she hopes it carries to the (rather hot) leader, "Sounds like you're having some trouble there, Chief."

Beside her, the Priestess had shut her eyes again and was breathing softly.

Suddenly, the Torii collapsed. Youjee, cradled in the arms of one of the two Kunoichi, replied. "Your magicks are strong, noble merchant folk! Know that I, the great bandit Koujee, and my beautiful Ninja Maiden are impressed!" He gestured to the trees. "Onwards, noble steed! We flee!" The Kunoichi pushed off in a burst of speed, as Youjee added, "the rest of you grab whatever valuables you caaaaan!"

The priestess let out a cry of surprise, as a warm body suddenly caught her from behind - one of the ninja had appeared at her back, and grabbed her, a hand covering her mouth.

A hand suddenly closed over Kaimi's mouth, as another ninja - likewise - appeared behind her, and grabbed her waist.

A fire lights in Kaimi's eyes as a ninja ambushes her and makes for the grab. "Bad touch!" She struggled - but the woman was stronger, and certainly, better trained at this than she was.

She heard a dull thump - before the warm body at her back suddenly vanished. Her mother - ignored by the women - had slammed her club into the ninja's head - from behind. Now, that kunoichi staggered back - and guards were fast approaching her. Shaking her head briskly, she brought her hands together and...melted from sight.

"Thanks mum!" With a kick Kaimi springs up from a tumble and lets her knife whistle out of her hand, straight for the kunoichi holding Lani.

Kaimi's knife thuds into the back of the kunoichi dragging the Priestess away - making her jerk back, but no cry of pain left her lips. Lani quickly broke away, stumbling forward. Whirling, the Priestess delivered a powerful kick toward the injured woman.

This one crumpled.

And then...there was only silence. It appeared the other ninja had retreated.

Kaimi moves to retrieve her knife the old fashioned way, as it appears their assailants had completed their retreat, "Wow, okay. We got super lucky, I think. Go team?" She gives Lani a thumbs up and turns to embrace her mom, "And you saved my butt, mum. Thanks."

((...an experiment in flurries.))

Another night in the sparse cells for traveling Priestesses, another light breakfast, and another day on one of those atrocious land-ships people called carts. The only difference was: This time there were far fewer people traveling with the young Twilight.

Her cousin – a woman a handful of years younger than Kaimi, whom she had met a few times in the past – Ioe, sat up front of the old cart, holding the reins of the tired looking oxen which pulled it lightly. Kaimi’s mother sat beside her and had spent much of the past hour chatting with the girl – mostly swapping stories of what had happened on the farm or in the city in the past years. The Priestess, Lani, walked beside the cart, eyes closed. She was supposedly practicing Thaumaturgy.

It was overcast that day – like many others on the trip. One of the normally heavy Wavecrest rains was falling, prompting all of them to don woven straw hats. The group had piled their luggage - scant though it was, before the front-most wall of the cart, and covered it with a water-proofed canvas.

Kaimi had her fingers folded around the goddess fetish as she rode in this cart. Lani had hinted that, were she to join the Priestesses formally, she would be instructed in the secrets of their magic, but the Twilight had declined. She was not interested in forming another contract with any of the Volcano Lords at the moment. Kai's idle gaze had been resting on the priestess, but now turned to observe her cousin - it had been many years since she had seen any of them, and it was generous of her family to shelter her and her mother. She also could hardly remember what Ioe was like, not that she'd admit this.

Her cousin seemed to be a very cheerful and confident woman. "...and then I pegged the Fairie right between the eyes!" She laughed brightly, before chuckling. "Of course that just made her mad. She was really proud..." Bright shrugged, "But it wasn't anything we couldn't handle..."

Apparently living on a farm was less peaceful than the city.

A smile crept onto Kai's face. Man, she really did like telling stories, didn't she? Perhaps she should pay attention sometime, if they are so used to such threats. With a small chuckle she asked about the bandits.

Hm?" Ioe glanced over her shoulder, "Most of them are Raksha," she stated, "people don't usually wanna get thrown into the volcano." She shrugged, "And our gods and elementals handle a lot of them too. Maybe once a month?" She shrugged, "More often if we're not just talking "Bandits." A lot of them pretend to be bards and lost men." Bright laughed, then sobered.

"Sometimes we get Wyld Mutants," she added shrugging again, "Odd elemental and demon. Just gotta be ready for anything!"

"Bards eh? Are they any good?" Kaimi's eyebrow lifted at the implication, but she let it go. "Alright, I'll try to keep that in mind, thanks." The quiet creature returns to her thoughts and observations, though paying a little more attention to her cousin than before. Craning her neck, she checks on Mom before returning to her resting position of 'staring off into the middle distance'. Her butt was numb, she notes idly.

"Most of them." Ioe replied, smiling to herself. "Fairies are actually pretty fun when they want to be." She chuckled, "Ever get any in the Gateway, Auntie?"

Her mom chuckled, "None that I know of, but there are always rumors about the well-off ones." She smiled, "Some people wonder if I'm a fairy, though. A girl from a small town trying to make it in the big city and all." Elima smiled to herself, "But I'm not a good enough crafter to be a fairy. Kaimi though..."

"That right 'cuz?" Ioe asked, glancing back, "You a fairy?"

Kaimi blinks back with a small smile, "Yes, because I am clearly throwing sparkles everywhere and snacking on sweets all the time."

Her mother shot her an incredulous look. Where had that come from?

Ioe laughed, "Yeah, some fairies really had a sweet tooth." Apparently, the girl didn't know as much about the supernatural as she seemed. "Pretty though." Ioe added thoughtfully, shrugging. "I think I saw one sparkle once..."

Meanwhile, Kaimi just shrugged at her mom, mouthing a 'what?' She turned her attention to Ioe. "So was it like snowflakes or more like embers, then?"

"Uhm..." The short haired woman shrugged, "I dunno. She was just really pretty." She laughed again.

Kaimi rolls her eyes and waves it off, "Alright alright, try not to get so distracted. I don't want this cart going off course. Y'should be careful with those things, you know?"

Her cousin smiled confidentially, before patting the oxen. "'ld Oak here knows the way. I'm just here for protection." She shrugged, sitting back against the low front wall of the wagon. "Plus, s'nice to get off the farm." A chuckle followed as she cautiously glanced skyward, "Weather could be better, but what can you do."

Kaimi leans as much as she can on the cart,not commenting on the weather. It seems the rain didn't bother her. " So what do you think we should focus on once we arrive? After all we need to pitch in."

Apple chuckled, then sighed. "Do we really need to talk about work? I mean, fighting fairies is fun, but walking through the fields and pulling weeds all day just...uggggh." She slumped in her seat a little.

"Fiiine, fine fine. Tell me how to kick fairy ass with nothing but a knife, then?" She had no idea what farm work entailed other than...vague things, but more stories could prove useful.

"Well are you any goo -" Ioe suddenly fell silence, glancing quickly to the side - just before a loud yelp and crash startled the ground. Water splashed upward from the roadside ditch beside them.

"Priestess," she stated tensely. "get in the cart. Now."

...Lani didn't seem to notice.

Cursing, Kaimi vaulted over the back of the cart, then hurried to Lani's side. "Lani!" She snapped, tugging the girl's arm and startling her from her revere. "Hurry!" She tugged the, somewhat confused girl toward the cart. Swiftly, they climbed in, as the rustling from the ditch grew louder. Ioe cracked the reins swiftly, but not before something staggered up the last few steps to the edge of the road.

It was short - and monkey-like in build. Yet, its fur was a deep crimson, and soaked through. From the being's long arms and short legs, ten oversized and bird-like talons extended - each coated in a deep crimson fluid. Where drops of that fluid fell to the grass around it, spots of crimson began to spread outward - visibly altering the nature hue of both the soil and vegetation. Weighed down by water, the creature's head moved ponderously, as it turned its glowing red gaze toward the fleeing women.

Then exploded into motion, racing after them.

Hurtling along in the back of a run-down cart, Kaimi’s long black hair streamed out around her face. A frown of concentration graced the Solar’s scarred visage, as she knelt, beside the wagon’s short right wall, as she examined their pursuant. Her mother held the reins at the wagon’s front – intent on controlling the well-used oxen before her. Ioe’s hands were busy reloading her sling, as she stood confidently at the front of the cart – eyes narrowed on the tailing monkey. Lani had assumed a defensive stance, before Kaimi, black staffer interposed between herself and the wagon’s outer edge.

In mere seconds, the simian had caught up to the wagon’s outer edge.

Blink.

It surged, transforming its body into a dark red blur. Lani similarly melded into imprecision – lashing out with her staff – but the strike was obviously too slow. The two returned to the normal flow of time – Lani in a half-crouch, staff extended after a downstroke Kaimi had only vaguely glimpsed, the monkey on the left wall of the cart, momentum allowing it to defy gravity for that instant.

Its crimson eyes rested with menace on Kaimi.

Blink.

“…this is the end.” The world slowed - even the monkey, dark-furred legs coiling to launch it at the Twilight, was caught in it this time. Behind it, on the opposite side of the wagon, a slender and milk-chocolate skinned woman reclined – against all physics – on the impossibly thin side of the wagon. Viveka’s hair had grown out – and been dyed a hue of spun silvered-gold. “You’re caught in its Principle of Motion.” The elder Solar drawled.

“You can’t escape.”

Kaimi growled, "You seem mighty comfortable with that. A little help, here?" Her knife was drawn in front of her now, ready to launch at the crazed baboon.

Blink.

The spirit-baboon’s legs uncoiled in a powerful burst of strength, launching it through the air. Its wicked looking crimson talons glinted with rainwater in the weak sunlight, as it spread and tensed its hands, eyes on Kaimi’s unprotected throat. Kaimi, balanced on the balls of her feet, deftly stepped aside - allowing the the baboon to sail past her. It's jumping distance was utterly impossible - though Kaimi tried not to think about that as she spun after it, to keep the creature in her sight.

The magical simian twisted in the air, using it's momentum and tail to land feet-first on the trunk of a nearby wheat-tree. It's talons dug into the trunk - drawing an audible crunch out - before it tensed its legs once more, and launched itself at Kaimi again. The Twilight slid away again - but unnecessarily, for the baboon's aim was off. It's lunge carried it over the cart and into the ditch on the opposite side of the road.

Kaimi's eyes stung amid the stilled rain. However lucky she was getting, this creature was hard to keep up with. Kai had already ruined her family once, and she was on the road to trying to make things right. There was no way in Creation this damn creature was going to stop her from at least paying off her debt before she left this world. Especially not when she was so close to seeing them all to safety.

A deft handspring and somersault later, and the creature once more faced Kaimi. The beast's legs tensed, before it launched itself once more - this time to land in the wagon before the dark-haired Solar. Surprisingly, it dropped low, and scythed out it's leg at her - this time catching her unprepared, and delivering a painful blow to her ankle. Though Kaimi staggered back a pace - she managed to hold her balance and blink back tears. Hurriedly, the Solar forced herself to spin away from her attacker - narrowly avoiding a follow-up clawed upper-cut.

The baboon landed, then spun after Kaimi once again. It's legs tensed, before it threw itself at the Solar one last time - !

Damned monkey! Kaimi completed her spin, tucking her feet behind her and brace against the wagon wall. With another kick, she threw herself away from the airborne creature and, bringing up her arms hurriedly to shield her face, dove toward the tarp covered goods. As she felt the blade of her knife slice into one of the packs, she cursed softly. Hope that wasn't valuable.

Suddenly, she felt the steady motion of raindrops on her back again.

The baboon landed on the edge of the wagon, while Kaimi lurched hurriedly to her feet - just in time to see Ioe and Lani attacking the baboon's back. The first shot - from Apple's sling - strikes home, catching the baboon with the small projectile one the side of the head. Unfortunately, by the way the beast did not so much as flinch, it appeared that tiny rocks would be a limited value against whatever it was.

Light and fire exploded from the blackwood of Lani's staff, as it slammed once - then twice! - into the monkey's body. The priestess's earnest cries were drowned out by the creature's inhuman shriek of pain, as magical fire exploded over its furred form, and it threw itself from the cart - but not before Kaimi's knife sailed from her fingers, to lodge itself in it's shoulder.

...before the beast vanished into the ditch with a splash.

Even with the sudden departure of their assailant, the old cart continued to barrel down the packed grey-gravel country road. Though rain continued to fall from the overcast afternoon sky, it had lightened substantially in the few brief moments of combat that had taken place. Now, with Lani hurrying toward the injured Kaimi, Ioe vaulted over the front of the cart to land beside Elima. Swiftly, the young woman rested the reins from Kaimi's mother, taking her place as the driver. Freed up from her duties with the ox, the elder woman glanced worriedly over her shoulder toward her daughter in the back of the small cart.

Nearly launching herself out of the cart after the creature, Kaimi seemed to catch just enough of her senses to instead reach her hand out over the edge and concentrate, crying out for her beloved brother's knife to return to her. It was the only thing she had of him since he had left home, and the others had been reduced to useless brittle wood in the fire that had started this.

A moment later, the dagger sailed through the air - the grip finding her waiting hand as if she had drawn it herself. The weapon appeared no worse for its brief separation from her - though the blade dripped a strange deep red fluid. Perhaps it was the creature's blood.

The Twilight's face brightened instantly as the blade returned to her. Bringing the blade close to test its scent, her nose seemed to burn from the sensation and she made a bit of a grimace. Kaimi rested her arm briefly over the edge of the cart and flicked her wrist to eliminate the majority of the substance before wiping the blade with a square of cotton. Mental note to self - she may need a new cotton square, the fluid was visibly eating through this one. It was quickly tossed overboard. Knife now clean of the fluid, it returned to its resting place.

Lani breathed a soft grunt, kneeling beside Kaimi. She glanced between Kaimi's leg - a dark splotch had formed - to mother, a frown marring her pretty face, "I...it doesn't look too bad. Just a bruise, maybe?" The Priestess stated - though she did not sound certain. Shaking her head, she went on, to Kaimi, "Tell me how this feels." The priestess laid a finger on the darkening flesh experimentally, pressing lightly.

No one appeared to notice the way Kaimi's dagger had magically flown to her hand.

Kai found herself panting, as her own adrenaline began to subside. At Lani's observations the pain in her leg came raging back, as the Solar's mind briefly focused on the 'bruise'. "Actually, it kinda hurts a bit." Taking a seat, some ancient memory reminds her to elevate her foot in case of a fracture. Glancing over her shoulder, Kaimi glanced towards where the apparition had been resting before back to Lani. "Might be okay, though. We'll see. The hell was that thing anyway?"

As Elima climbed over the front of the cart - which Ioe had stabilized to a remarkable degree, in-spite of the horrific road conditions - Lani spoke up. "I believe it was a demon of some kind." The Priestess raised her blackwood staff, "Demons defy the mandate of authority which the Volcano Lords wield over Wavecrest, which is why my staff burned it. I'm pretty sure it used Principle of Motion to get past me and when it attacked you, as well." She smiled sheepishly, "There...aren't many ways to stop beings which can step out of the timeline like tha - " Lani gasped as her eyes widened.,

"Ioe, can we move faster? If it uses it's magic, it can catch-up to us!"

Ioe shook her head. "I'm sorry, but this old guy -" She gestured to the racing - and now panting - oxen drawing them, "- isn't built for speed." As it was, their pace was slowing. Lani through a pleading look toward Kaimi, as if begging the craftswoman to do something...Solar-like. But, that wasn't possible. She'd told no one - not even the high priestess (and that had been unpleasant) - that she was exalted.

Kaimi sighed and closed her eyes, her limited knowledge of the demon was not sufficient. She knew just enough to understand that if she attempted what she did last time it will lead to her death. Attempting to drown out the noise of the cart and the pain throbbing in her leg, Kaimi instead focused on the ancient Solar's face the best she could. I don't have enough information concerning demons to keep that thing away. Frustration welled inside the craftswoman with the thought, If Creation is determined to hound me then I need to have an alternative means to either avoid or defend myself in combat. Dodging forever doesn't seem to be working as well as I hoped. An exhale was released as she concentrated, knowing how high expectations were. Please, do you have any ideas?

The light raindrops froze in the air.

Kaimi found herself sitting beside the dark-brown skinned and pale-blond haired woman. "Of course I do." Viveka stated, eyes cast upward - toward the cloud-hidden sun. She seemed somewhat distracted. "But first, tell me girl," she continued, dispassionately - yet with a hint of scorn underlying it - "did you really believe you could run and hide forever?" As before, the light from the sun was unnaturally bright.

Kaimi's gaze followed the Undying's for a moment before replying. "Believe? No. I did hope I could flee long enough to buy myself some time to formulate a plan." It was difficult gazing at the remnants of the shard and maintaining concentration, but she decided to anyway, focusing on the nomad's bright eyes. "Long enough to get my family out of this tangle and find a rhythm to survive."

"Hm." Viveka sighed and stood. "Well, as much as I would adore seeing you killed, I suppose I ought to play my part." She stepped casually toward the cart's front, her body passing through the small pile of bags that were stacked there to sit an the precariously thin front wall.

"You are quite injured, but so is the demon." Viveka's eyes moved past Kaimi, to fixate upon the distant and dark shape of the creature in-question. "Were all else equal, I might suggest you could hope to defeat it in combat." The Solar chuckled, "Alas, all else is not equal - you are armed with a knife you can barely use, while your opponent is from the realm of Malfeas and far better equipped than you. That you survived his onslaught is the only reason I've decided to assist you thusly - you might not be a completely lost cause."

"The problem, truthfully," Viveka added, "is that while I do have a sufficient understanding of demology to teach you the ritual of demonic control - you do not have time to learn it now." She paused, considering. "I suppose you could always try pouring your essence into that crippled goddess you carry around in your pocket, but I doubt she would be able to defeat that demon either."

A shrug followed, "In my experience, most demons simply want to survive. They, of course, have certain pathologies - which is why Sorcerers bind them, rather than allow them to be free - but, I sincerely doubt this one will wish to throw his life away, especially if victory is in doubt." Her perfect white teeth split her face in a smile that sent a shiver down Kaimi's spine. "Perhaps you could try to bargain with it. It did, after all, fail to slay you the first time. If it is not a fool, it will doubt it can do so now that it has been ravaged by the fire of that upstart godling the girl-priestess serves."

A shrug, "Most demons knew of Solars in the First Age enough to be honored at the opportunity to serve one of us - we offered stable protection out of hell, and our essence had...beneficial side-effects to them, given prolonged exposure." Viveka clicked her tongue thoughtfully, "Again, it would be better if you had some charms, spells or rituals to protect yourself, but, beggars can't be choosers I suppose." She shrugged, "I suppose you could try learning a new technique or two, though it would be best to avoid fighting altogether - a demonic bodyguard is more useful than a dead demon, after all."

As the ancient spoke, Kaimi's expressions were easily read, despite attempting to keep her head level and listen. Small twitches and shifts of posture gave away the transition from relieved to appalled, injured to curious, freezing in fear to finally accepting. Although the spirit was malicious at times, she was also right, and it would do little for the young Solar to fight that nature - possibly even her own for something as flexible as a moral scale.

Remnants of the chill that filled her were still fading when Kaimi nodded, steeling herself. "Alright." Rising from her slouch, Kai straightened her back and held her head a little higher. She had to do this right. "Then how do I convince this demon to join my side, or at the very least, stay his claws?" The words almost stung as badly as the scent of the creatures blood rolling off of her tongue, but it was for survival. So long as she reminded herself that she could cling to her sense of self. Curled in her palm, her nails caused indents in the skin.

Viveka smiled. "You could hope he'll be more interested in bargaining for survival than your blood." She shrugged, "Or perhaps that he'll run away. Both are quite possible, given his injuries. But," the dark skinned woman got to her feet, "there is a simple law within Malfeas: The weak serve the strong. This is the law we forced upon the Yozi when we crushed them in the First Age." She chuckled, lines of crystal forming in her dark skin, as it took upon an increasingly golden caste. "Show it your power."

In a sudden surge of light and color, Viveka's anima exploded from her - now entirely inhuman - body. The banner coalesced into a massive and maned bird of prey, wings spread behind her and talons bared to snatch it's prey - at that moment, it appeared that they reached for Kaimi. "You are too far from him already for your words to carry, so unless you intend to leap from this quaint little vechile and hope he stays his hand, subtlety will not be an option. You are a Queen of Heaven! He should fear you!"

Reflexively, with the surge of metallic cloth and light Kaimi's eyes narrowed to slits and her face cast downwards at a slight angle. Even if the radiance wasn't out to hurt her the show was certainly intimidating and almost painfully bright. The wayward thought persisted, shouldn't that have actually scared her shitless? Fighting the display, the craftswoman raised her head in a calm defiance, "What then? Attract more bandits or fae to target me? Have whatever wrath the Heaven I am supposed to be the queen of come down upon me and smite me from the face of Creation? If I show off - the little I have to show - I am done.

The dragons will find me and will kill me. And I know at least part of that Heaven would rejoice in that."

It hadn't quite hit that the mechanical cyborg-goddess spirit wasn't really doing her worst, and although keeping most of her composure, Kaimi's mind strayed to the attack, "I have one weapon and no other means of attacking anything. I am all for intimidating this demon, possibly onto my side, but I am all talk. I don't have a literal army to do my bidding. My defenses do not include 'a house that can crush mortals into dust'."

Viveka laughed. "And how," she chuckled, "do you propose to deal with him, then?" The elder Solar's anima gutted, and her skin regained it's human caste - it seemed she was finished her displays for the afternoon.

The revert to a more human appearance seemed to be more soothing than could have been anticipated. "I still intend on following your advice. As much as it pains me to admit, it's sound except for giving my position away. What happens after my secret is out, if I can't simply run?"

Viveka shrugged, gesturing dismissively, "Yes, yes, you are a weak little girl without any means to defend yourself, I apologize, such a fact keeps escaping me."

"Fine, if I get out of this alive, assuming the stars align just right, I'm looking into Thaumaturgy, possibly into demonology if I manage to negotiate with this creature as well. What path should I take so I can change that fact?" If Viveka was attempting to finally get an emotional reaction out of Kaimi, she had succeeded in revealing the bitter stench of defeat.

"Hm." Viveka shrugged again, "In fairness, I am two-thousand years your senior, and grew up in a different and more advanced world, with access to far superior combat teachers and equipment than a knife and a broken down ox-cart." The ancient Solar's head tilted, as if she heard something. "Time is beginning again." She observed, as the traces of over-bright light began to fade away, "I suppose I can assist you in studying while you sleep." Viveka offered, voice growing distant as her form began translucent - "As for where you can learn, I've been dead for a millennium. Why in the world would you expect me to know that...?"

The rain started again, and Kaimi was once more where she had been when her conversation began.

Despite knowing that half of her question had been dodged, she was certainly better off than when she started. Thank you.

Kaimi's eyes snapped open to meet Lani's. "I have an idea, but it involves you using fire and not burning any of us nor the cart. Is this something you can do?" The throbbing in her leg returned with the flow of time, causing a slight wince as she pulled it under her to stand. It could be rested once this was taken care of. Or, you know, when she was dead.

Pulling out her brother's knife, she made a silent prayer to the tiny statue goddess with the idle thought it could be her last.

Lani looked sheepish, "No, I can't. I, uhm. haven't enlightened my essence yet."

"Kaimi." The voice of the goddess spoke in her thoughts - the sound a strange amalgamation of her own voice and that of her mother's - "It comes." Indeed, a deep red streak of motion was now charging down the road - it's speed making it nearly impossible for Kaimi's eyes to track it. The creature suddenly lept up - once more crossing what seemed an impossible distance - to land in the midst of the wagon, in front of Kaimi. There was an instant where it was completely visible to her eyes - before it's claw lashed out, impossibly swift, at...

...the air? A growl of frustration followed, before time suddenly stopped.

"Solar," It rumbled in a deep and gluttonal version of Seatongue, amid the now stilled rain, "give me the Goddess you carry and I shall let you live." More of that strange and acidic dark-red liquid dripped from it's bared claws. It did not appear to harm the wet wood of the wagon in the same way it ate at the cotton square Kaimi had used to clean that same fluid from her dagger. It's irises glowed like crimson coals, as they bored into Kaimi's own.

With a retained grimace, Kaimi decided to heed Viveka's advice entirely and plunge into the deep end. Emblem blazing to life on her head, a deep violet plume of flame erupted from the Twilight in defiance. "Demon." Light beaming from her mandala, displaying an unusual red tinge, forehead and eyes she unleashed her fear and herself in a single moment. "I have attempted to keep a low profile but if you insist on testing my patience I will be pushed to more direct means." The knife that drew blood on the demon twirled idly between her fingers in a fluid weaving motion.

The demon shuffled back a pace, eyes widening in surprise momentarily, before his expression darkened. Baring his claws, the baboon growled and swiped the air, spraying droplets of dark red fluid toward Kaimi. "Don't be a fool, girl! I will kill you this time for certain! Hand the goddess's domain over to me, and I shall allow you to leave here alive!" He bared his teeth, growling softly as he tensed to attack again.

As rigid as the core of her own creations, Kaimi remained unblinking and watched the demonic mandrill down her nose. "You demand something that I will not surrender, and thus endanger yourself to a deeper fight." The twirling of the knife halted, as ready to slice as the creature's claws. Instead it seemed to trace some of his features in tiny movements as she watched his reaction. Around her the cold flames licked at the wagon, crawled to embrace its passengers and danced around the rain drops.

Kaimi's brown eyes shone with hints of her anima's deep violet fire, they flicked over the demon's form. Her words did not make the creature back-off, though his eyes - black pits with crimson red irises - did narrow slightly at them, as if he was considering her position. She also noticed that he appeared to be favoring the side covered by an extremely nasty looking burn - it appeared that Lani's blackstaff had been much more efficient at cutting through his defenses than her more mundane dagger and Ioe's sling.

As she regarded the deep crimson of his fur and the crimson acid - poison - which coated him, she slowly came to realize that this creature was a First Circle demon of the acid sea of hell - known as Kimbery, in the old tongue. His aspects of poison and corrosion where obvious - and the color crimson only added to that analysis. She still did not know precisely what sort of creature he was - but she did notice that strings of crimson kelp which wreathed his darkly furred limbs appeared...out of place.

It almost seemed as though the creature was an amalgam of some kind - after all, baboons did not swim, and though she could see gills on his neck, they appeared unused, even vestigial. The kelp connected directly to his talon-like claws...

Blood Claw Kelp.

A minor demon - in it's natural form, little more than a blood red pearl with a myriad of crimson kelp-like tendrils extending from it's center, each tipped with vicious claws. It existed to devour other creatures and grow strong - a difficult task in Malfeas at best. This creature had devoured something here in Creation - a local elemental or god likely, and transformed itself into an Essence 2 creature. Now, it likely sought to devour her or the Goddess - both Essence 2 creatures - to further strengthen itself to survive in this alien world. Ironic, considering even in a world where virtually all things would seek it's destruction, it was still safer than it would be in the sea of its birth.

Once more, knowledge that was not Kaimi's own aided her. Before she Exalted, she would never have known what this creature was.

"Kelp of Kimbery." The corner of her mouth twisted upwards as she spoke, the knowledge injecting confidence into her, "If you devour my goddess you'll enrage me. Similar will happen if you engage in combat with me directly, however..." Face inclining, Kaimi allowed her full stare to be unhindered by the bridge of her nose, "Considering the events in the last week, had you been in my place you would have already feasted on the foes I have bested or escaped." Allowing that to hang for a moment, she continued. "I will continue to run into gods, fae and demons like you on a regular basis, so perhaps we can strike a deal. If you spare myself and my crew here I am more than willing to weaken and toss my foes into your waiting maw. We both live to see another day and you grow stronger still, with my protection in a pinch." Kaimi's flames lazily twirled in themselves, drawing the tongues to become more concentrated than before. "You will find that my fire - and the priestess' here - will be less painful if you are on our side."

The demon grew still.

Suddenly, it sagged, falling heavily to this knees in the cart. "I can agree to those terms, Solar. I will not harm those you count as 'your crew,' and you will provide me sacrifices." The rain began to fall again, as the demon suddenly dissipated into the air - leaving behind only a puddle of deep crimson mud - which the light rain slowly began to wash away.

"...Kaimi!" Elima cried, lurching to her feet in the front of the cart. Lani stumbled back from Kaimi, hissing an oath, a look of frightened shock on her face as the demon monkey that appeared beside her suddenly dissolved into crimson liquid. Ioe's gaze flicked back toward the commotion behind her, then the girl visibly flinched, letting out a cry of shock - before hurriedly remembering where she was an returning her attention to the gravel road, but not without more than a few double-takes.

The solar turned and caught her breath as time resumed normally, the demon no longer attacking her and her cart. Her eye briefly paused on Lani as her gaze passes towards Blossom, revealing a smile with a slight wince - dang her leg hurt. "It's gone! It's gone. You guys alright?"

...they were all staring at her, looking dumbfounded.

Lani broke the silence first, hurriedly crouching beside Kaimi and whispering in her ear, "Kaimi, you're glowing."

From the whisper, Kaimi turns and gives Lani a mixed look, somewhere between amused and horrified. It was definitely of shock, though. "Ah, well." Taking a moment to look over herself, arms partially arced forward with her inspection, she meets Elima's gaze with a crooked smile. "Not quite sparkles."

"Kaimi..." Her mother found her voice slowly, "...what's going on?" Ioe's fugitive glances back toward her looked frightened.

Kai's smile fades with the reaction and she focuses on her mother. "I....Just know that I love you, and I'll try to fix things, but I can't right now." Pocketing the knife, her gaze lingers on her mother as her expression shifts to one of regret. Turning her head, she meets Lani's eyes. "Please don't let them be punished for this."

With this, Kaimi vaults over the back of the cart -

"Kaimi wait!" Lani called after her, fingers brushing the Solar's trialing arm...but failing to gain purchase.

Once the landing sticks, she turns before bolting, giving Lani her attention for a brief moment. The violet lantern-glow flickers, causing the golden caste mark to burn dramatically as her clothes settle in the rain.

The Priestess gritted her teeth and through a fugitive glance toward Kaimi's stunned looking relatives, before breathing a low grunt, expression sobering. "Elima," she stated seriously, bringing her staff's butt to rest with a resounding tap on the wooden floor of the sluggishly moving cart, "your daughter has become a Godsblood recently. The Volcano Lords have charged me with her escort - this is a manifestation of her power."

She quickly snapped her gaze to Ioe - now filled with the customary authority of the Priestesses of the Volcano Brothers - "Stop the cart, girl."

Shaking herself, as if from a trance, Ioe nodded and pulled the - admittedly already slowed - oxen to a halt. Lani crisply leapt from the cart's back, before approaching Kaimi - face shadowed by the broad woven cap she wore - with purpose. "Kaimi, we should get back into the cart - you stand out badly in the open like this."

Kaimi silently steals a glance to the cover of the trees she was about to dive into, then back to Lani. After a moment she gives a nod and falls in line next to the priestess to return to the cart.

Questions could be saved for later. Upon vaulting back into the cart she hunkers down in silence, refusing to make eye contact with anyone in favor of keeping her eyes shut.

* * * Some Time Later * * *

"...by the way," Lani asked, voice low - Ioe and Elima were caught up in conversation once more - "what did you do to make that creature dematerialize, Kaimi?"

Kaimi sighs, matching the whisper-level she was offered, "It wanted to continue to attack us and eat. So I informed it that with the amount of trouble I attract it would be much easier for it to help us beat whatever next comes along and eat that, instead."

At her side, the young priestess frowned and glanced about - as if she expected to see the immaterial form of their spirit attacker.

The frown that creased her features reveals that she's well aware of what it sounds like. "I think you overestimated my combat abilities when you asked me to 'do something'."

Lani sighed. "So it's still here?"

"Unfortunately."

Another pause, then, "Do you know what it is?"

"Yes, actually. It originated as a blood claw kelp, managed to devour a creature that appears to be similar to a mandrill. So in short, a demon. Not a very strong one, but whatever it consumed made it a little stronger, and it intends to continue that cycle." The Twilight thumbs the goddess fetish in her pocket, reminding herself that she did succeed in protecting her self-imposed charge. For now.

"It agreed to my terms out of desperation, part of those terms is that it will spare my allies." Her voice grew softer still, "It certainly didn't enjoy the burn you gave it, so that was a factor."

The Priestess nodded, slowly, allowing herself a smile at that last comment. She glanced toward the two women at the wagon's front, before replying, "Alright. I'll negotiate between the demon and the farm gods, when we arrive." She paused, before adding, "...I'll also need to extract an oath of fealty to the Volcano Brothers from it."

"Sounds good, just let me know what you need. Though..." Kaimi shifts in her crouched position to better face Lani, "I have to ask, why are you helping me?" A beat before she hastily adds, "I mean, I appreciate it, but why?"

Lani gave her a curious look. "Why wouldn't I?"

Kaimi blinks, taken back slightly but persistent, "We both know what I am, and if I wasn't hunted before I definitely will be after today. What could you possibly gain from providing me assistance when I am an active danger?"

A shrug, "Maka Koa has ordered me to protect you. Letting you run off and die would have meant my first real mission was a failure." She smiled gently and shrugged again, "...and I became a priestess to preserve Wavecrest, not let people die."

Returning the smile, Kaimi nods, accepting this answer, "I wasn't aware I still qualified as 'people', but fair enough."

Lani seemed to perk up, as she regarded Kaimi with a frown. Then, she shrugged. "Not my call." The young priestess replied, simply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back