• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom Moonlit Crusade

Moonlit Crusade
QUEST LOG

CHAPTER 1:
Magus's Fault

10 - 15 - 17 (MORNING)
AMP Headquarters - Blancrete City

Alton placed his hand over his forehead, and gently caressed it as if he was having a headache. With a soft grunt, he replied to his Grand Familiar's words. "Wha...what happened?", he asked her.

Bradamante was surprised at his answer. "Do you not remember, master?"

"I remember.", Alton replied. "I just...don't understand it all."

"Then let me explain it to you.", the man from earlier said, interrupting the conversation between the two.

Realizing that they were back at the room where they formed their contract, the two stepped down from the platform. Bradamante immediately drew her sword and put up a combative stance. Her gaze was alternatively directed to two people - the man with the hat, and the girl from earlier, named Sen.

"What was all that?!", she shouted. "He could have gotten killed there! What are your true intentions, mages?"

The man raise both of his hands. "Now, now. Let's stay calm and-", he said, only to be interrupted the sight of tendrils flames suddenly emerging and surrounding Bradamante, forming a prison of fire which prevents her from leaving her space. The man turned his eyes to Sen, who leaned against a wall, staring right back at him.

Sitting down beside her was a wolf-like creature, about twice the size of a medium-sized dog. Its eyes glowed red, just like the various stain-like patterns on its fur, and kept its gaze upon the technically-imprisoned Bradamante. "What?", she said.

"You didn't have to do that.", the man replied.

"She's a Supporter.", Sen said. "I'd rather not give her a chance to go wild in here."

"You have a point.", the man nodded. "But it still doesn't mean we should treat them like our enemies, because they clearly are not."

Sen sighed. "Suit yourself.", she said, then gestured to the wolf-like creature beside her. It acknowledged her command, and disappeared into thin air, making Bramante's flaming prison to disappear as well.

"Now, where was I?", the man turned his attention back towards the two. Bradamante had decided to stay calm for the time being, but she kept her sword unsheathed. Alton, on the other hand remained silent and tried to keep up with what's going on around him, while trying not to drive himself insane from all the inexplicable things he had experienced earlier. But more specifically, on the fact that he knew the witch's name.

"What happened back there was what I would call the "Link Reinforcement" phenomenon. It's a rare occurrence wherein two linked individuals, like you and your Grand Familiar, are given an inexplicable experience that would further strengthen the bond between the two. In your case, you were able to experience a portion of Bradamante's historical legend.", the man spoke confidently, as if he had encountered such things in the past. "While the things that happen there may seem real, they are actually the opposite. Nothing in there is real, only fictional situations or reenactment of things that had happened before. However, I do not know if dying there would be different, and on that matter, I do apologize for being unable to anticipate such a rare phenomenon from emerging."

What will happen next?
Alton asks the man a question.
Bradamante doubts the man's words.

For more info on the story, please click this link.

vRH here.

My apologies for the delayed post. I've been struck with the ever-dreaded writer's block recently and my current schedule is rather tedious.

I'll make up for it soon enough.

Moonlit Crusade
QUEST LOG

CHAPTER 1:
Magus's Fault

10 - 15 - 17 (MORNING)

Sure the way he said it would make such a thing believable, but when you're someone who's completely oblivious to this side of the world where magic exists, you'll have your doubts. Which is exactly how Alton is doing right now. While what he had experienced so far has felt very real, he still is not really used to the whole concept of magic, and is often skeptical of anything that is related to the said matter.

"If it wasn't real...", he asked. "...then how did I know her name?"

The man looked at Alton with a rather confused look. "Whose name?"

Bradamante intervened. "The witch. From back then."

The man tilted his head slightly, and remained silent for a short moment. "I'm not really familiar with your historical legend...", the man said. "...but I can assure you that knowing the witch's name, whoever she might be, is a result of the phenomenon both of you have just experienced. Alton here has gotten some information out of it, which comes in the form of the witch's name."

The man turned his gaze to Bradamante. "How about you?", he asked Bradamante. "Have you learned anything about your master during that time?"

Bradamante tried to remember, and promptly responded. "No."

The man placed his hand over his chin. "Hmm.", he said. "That's strange. Link Reinforcements do not occur in incomplete phases. I think you two will be experiencing more instances like earlier, but I have no idea when and where it would happen. You should stay alert, and if you feel something odd, do let me know."

The man handed over a shiny pebble with a glowing rune carved upon its surface. Bradamante took it with caution, since Alton was hesitating quite a bit.

"Just crush that stone and I'll be notified that you need some assistance.", the man said.

Sen stepped forward, interrupting their discussion. She tucked her phone back into her pocket, the same one where she took it out from as the three were busy conversing about the "Link Reinforcement" theory, and things related to it. She looked a bit irritated, but kept a calm and cold demeanor. With a rather indifferent gaze on her eyes, she spoke. "Alright, that's enough. You have registered them to the Association's archive?"

The man, distracted, placed his attention to Sen. "Ah, yes. I have."

"Good.", she replied. She then, turned her gaze to the other two. "Time to go, both of you. Head back home, I'll let you know what to do next."

"Um...", Alton said. "...I, no, we don't know the way back."

Sen sighed. "Right. Of course."

She placed her hand in the inner pocket of her blazer and took out a small piece of paper. After placing it in front of the two, the paper was suddenly engulfed in bright, white flames. However, it kept it form, as if the fire didn't exist, there was no sign of burning, from both the paper and Sen's hand that held it. Sen, then glanced quickly at the two, before shouting in a language unfamiliar to Alton and Bradamante.

"Kaeru!", she said.

The paper began to burn and turn into dust, and in the blink of an eye, the two were back at Alton's apartment unit, sitting down on the opposite sides of the sofa in his living room. It stayed the same, there was a mess caused by Alton's strange spell. However, neither of them stood for about a minute or so, in sheer confusion and disbelief.

What will Alton do next?
Alton talks with Bradamante.
Alton fixes the place without saying a word.

Last edited:
vRH here.

If the story is still quite vague for you, I've made an infodump for some info on the setting (how things work, what certain terms mean, etc.). I plan to release a thread that would reveal info as it is done in the story, but only if this QL would survive long enough. Better not invest too much if something won't last.

If you want to know more without waiting for such, you can go ahead and check out the document.

That is all. I hope the story, as it progresses, will keep you entertained!

Very impressive document. On the other hand I'm choosing >Alton talks with Bradamante. They can have a recap of their exciting day before anything else.

Moonlit Crusade
QUEST LOG

CHAPTER 1:
Magus's Fault

10 - 15 - 17 (AFTERNOON)
Alton's Apartment

Alton placed his hand under his chin and posed similarly like the "The Thinker" sculpture. He gazed upward and downward repeatedly while letting out soft sighs every once in a while. After getting bothered by it for about a few minutes until she could no longer stop the urge to go and confront her master. She moved herself closer to Alton's side without causing much of a ruckus on the couch.

"Master.", she placed her hand on his shoulder. "Are you sure you are well?"

Alton stopped looking up and down, and reverted back to a normal sitting position. "Yes.", he said. "I'm just trying to take it all in without driving myself insane." He chuckled softly.

Bradamante removed her hand from him. "I understand.", she said. "I had the same kind of mental struggle when I first encountered magic back then."

Hearing those words, Alton immediately commented. "Are you really not from this time?"

"I'm quite surprised that you didn't know, master.", she replied with a slightly shocked tone in her voice. "Do you not know of my legend, master?"

Alton scratched his head with a sheepish look. "I'm afraid not. I don't really read a lot of books.", he replied.

"Hmm.", Bradamante looked at Alton with intrigue. "Would you like me to tell it to you, master?"

What will Alton say?
Accept Bradamante's offer.
The more he knows about her the better.
Pass on her offer for now.
There are more pressing matters to attend to right now.

Moonlit Crusade
QUEST LOG

CHAPTER 1:
Magus's Fault

10 - 15 - 17 (AFTERNOON)
Alton's Apartment

Alton, as expected, didn't hesitate in taking up her offer. His curious nature simply won't allow him to ignore such a precious opportunity to learn more, especially about Bradamante. After all, she is his Grand Familiar, and eventually the two will need to have a deeper knowledge and understanding of each other if they are to continue down the dangerous, hidden world of magic.

"Hmm. Where should I begin?", she mumbled. "I guess I should start when my life took a drastic turn."

"Start wherever you're comfortable with.", Alton responded.

Bradamante nodded with a gentle smile. "Then I shall, master.", she said, before adjusting her position on the sofa and turn to face Alton. Shortly after a few moments, she began to tell the tale of her historical legend.

"It all started with my brother, Renaud. He was a knight of the king, chosen along with a select few to bring pride to the kingdom, and defend Francia from our enemies. He rarely returned home, but the tales that he brought with him were more than enough. I was inspired by his brave heroics, that I, despite the disapproval of our parents, made my way into knighthood.", Bradamante said. "Of course, being a female in a field where almost the entire population is made up of males, working up my way to become a knight was extremely difficult. But I made it through. I worked as hard as I could, and yielded results that no one had expected out of me."

Bradmante softly chuckled. "The look on their faces were priceless when they witnessed me win almost every jousting match I had taken part of. It even came to a point that I was undefeated for more than a year. Of course, while I did enjoy my life as a knight, winning jousting matches and bringing in fame and honor for my home, I felt like I could have done more than just partake in simple competitions."

Alton intervened. "If you were that good, then how come you didn't come with your jousting gear and your horse?"

Bradamante paused. "I do not know, master.", she said. "Perhaps if we were to complete the so-called 'Link Reinforcement' then maybe I would regain access to my jousting gear. But I think the reason is that it is not very much related to my legend, so when I was summoned it was not included with me."

Alton thought silently for a short moment. "That does make sense. I guess this version of you would be the one at the core of your legend."

Bradamante nodded. "Perhaps it is so, master.", she said. "Shall I contin-"

A bright light flashed, covering the two in several runes and disorienting them. After a few moments, the two found themselves sitting down on wooden chairs, which were covered in various glowing runic markings. Of course, Bradamante immediately stood and placed her hand on the handle of her sword, while cautiously scanning their surroundings.

Alton was dazed for a few moments but came back to his senses. It was magic, yet again, and he will have to get used to such astounding occurrences if he is to survive in the dangerous world he had been dragged into. It would seem that their storytelling time will have to wait for a latter date, as they have been teleported to what seems to be an empty, waiting room.

"Bradamante, do you know where we are?", Alton asked.

Footsteps echoed just from beyond the door, causing Bradamante to draw her sword and gaze fiercely on the door. "I'm afraid not, master."

Alton nodded, and the sound of the footsteps had finally ceased. The silhouette of a person standing behind the door could be easily seen from inside the room, as it seeped from below the door. The doorknob clicks after a few seconds, and the door opens with a slightly audible creaking noise. As it finally opens wide, a figure enters the room.

Who enters the room?
A middle-aged man.
A young adolescent girl.
A middle-aged woman.
The hatted man from earlier.*

For the story tracker, please click this link.

Last edited:

Moonlit Crusade
QUEST LOG

CHAPTER 1:
Magus's Fault

10 - 15 - 17 (AFTERNOON)

It was the man from earlier - the same person that helped them establish the link between the two as master and familiar. As the man entered the room, he came to a halt when he realized that Bradamante was standing up with her sword in hand.

"Sorry about the sudden summoning.", he said. "She forced me to do it."

"She?", Bradamante asked as she sheathed back her sword.

"Sen Miyata. The girl that the two of you came with earlier?", he replied.

"Hm.", Bradamante muttered under her breath and remained standing right beside Alton.

With their conversation out of the way, the man waved his arm, and as he did, one of the tables in the room flew and landed right before Alton and Bradamante. With another wave of his hand, a chair did the same, and landed before the table. After such, he walked and took a seat, facing both Alton and Bradamante on the opposite side of the table. Once he was sat down, he placed a thick, and partially dusty book upon the center of the table.

"Alright.", the man cleared his throat. "Before we begin, I'd like to properly introduce myself, since I wasn't able to do that earlier. Of course, that is if you're fine with it."

Bradamante nodded in silence. Alton took a short moment before responding. "Uh...yes, sure.", he said.

The man nodded with a soft smile. "My name is Harvey Breeland. I'm a mage, like you, Alton."

"Now that that's out of the way, let me tell you why you were brought back here again., Harvey continued. "I've been assigned to teach you the basics of being a mage, since you're new to all this. Things like understanding how magic works, basic spells, and specifically, the laws of the Association."

For a short moment, silence filled the air. Alton and Bradamante whispered to themselves about their interrogation with Sen and Fernand earlier, due to them mentioning Alton's violation of the Association's law. Harvey looked at the two until they decided to cease their sneaky conversation and turn their attention back to him.

"Ready to begin?", Harvey asked.

Bradamante gazed over to Alton.

"Yes.", he replied.

What will Harvey teach them about?
Mana.
The core essence of magic.
Magecraft.
The mystical art of the arcane.
Grand Familiars.
The highest form of familiars.
Write-in.

Last edited:
Magecraft! As I suspect magical strength won't be an issue for Alton.

Though if ours are the only two votes, I could go along with Mana too.

Moonlit Crusade
QUEST LOG

CHAPTER 1:
Magus's Fault

10 - 15 - 17 (AFTERNOON)

"Okay!", Harvey said enthusiastically. "Let's begin with the basics." He opened the book, and landed somewhere in its middle pages. He gently blew on its surface and swept the dust to the side using his right hand. Once done, he placed his right arm just above the book where both Alton and Bradamante could see it clearly.

He mumbled some words under his breath, and opened his palm. The moment he did, a small ball of fire emerged, floating right above his palm. Then, he looked at the two directly. "What would you call this?"

"A tiny flame.", Bradamante replied monotonously.

Harvey shook his head. "No, not the fire. The act I just did."

Alton stared intently at the flame, as if carefully analyzing it. Without even looking away from the small ball of fire, he answered. "Magic. It's magic."

Harvey nodded. "Correct.", he closed his palm, and with it, the flame disappeared into a quickly dissipating, small puff of smoke. "However, now that you're a mage, calling it magic is improper. Why is that, you might ask?"

Harvey waved his arm causing three symbols to appear and glow before them, floating just above the book. "Because magic is the general term. There are three types of magic that we recognize in this world."

Alton and Bradamante were confused by Harvery's words. To them, especially Bradamante, magic is magic - inexplicable occurrences caused by an inexplicable reasons. Alton leaned back onto his chair, now gazing toward the three symbols.

"The first type.", Harvey pointed to the first symbol on the left. It was a card that repeatedly turned, showing each of the four card suits - the heart, the spade, the club, and the diamond. "We call it Falsework. It is the kind which magicians and street performers use, involving things such as sleight of hand, illusions, and trickery. While it may seem like magic to most people, it is simply just that - tricks and illusions made to play with one's mind and perception."

Then, Harvey pointed to the symbol on the middle, the second one. "The second type.", he said. The second symbol was an eye, and inside its iris was a star, rotating over and over again. "This one is called Magecraft. It's the one I am used earlier to create the flame, and the same type that I am using right now to show these symbols to you. Unlike the former, magecraft can only be utilized by mages like you and I. Why is that, you might ask?", Harvey paused. "Well, because it requires mana to use it. Unfortunately not everyone can use mana, only mages and some other people - but we'll talk about them later. For now let's focus on this. Any magic that is unattainable by falsework, but can be done by a mage, provided they have the necessary requirements, is magecraft."

"So technically, magecraft can do anything?, Alton asked, his eyes clearly glimmering with curiosity.

Harvey nodded. "In theory, yes. With proper preparations and the necessary requirements, magecraft can do anything - create fire out of thin air, control lower lifeforms, or even bringing back the dead to life. Summoning a Grand Familiar, such as Bradamante, is considered as magecraft."

"Wow."

Bradamante suddenly looked at Harvey, as if she was suspicious of something. "Is Link Reinforcment magecraft?"

Harvey turned his gaze towards her. "No, that would fall to the third type."

"Which is?"

The third symbol was the most unique out of the three - it didn't keep a constant form like the first two. It changed randomly turning into various shapes and sizes, like a spiraling circle that turned the opposite way of its spiral, or a moving line that multiplied repeatedly until it appeared to be nothing but a mush of random scribbles.

"The unexplained.", Harvey replied. "It is called True Magic. The entire mage society has been researching it for years, and still, there is no answer or reason as to exactly what it is and how it works. All we know is that it is a type of magic far beyond the capabilities of any mage."

"So that means nobody knows why we're experiencing that...thing?"

Harvey sighed. "Yes. That is why it is a theory. We only know that it happens, but not the reasons behind it, nor the way it works. All you can do is to..."

What will happen next?
Alton
"...work through it."
Bradamante
"...resign to it."
Harvey
"...hope for the best."
Write-in.

vRH here.

Update should be up by tomorrow.

It was supposed to be posted todday, but I've been busy catching up the events I missed during the weekend.

Anyways, let me know if there's anything that concerns you about the story, as well as what you think about it so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back