Story Moonlight Revelation

Pai Chan

Elder Member
This is a series I've been writing since middle school (i'm a few years shy of 30, now, so it's been a while ago) and this is the latest installment. The series is aimed towards a Teen audience. so 13 to 19 (at high school it was classified as "Young Adult"). So i've probably drift towards that writing style due to the majority of my reading years taking place while I was in high school.

What I'll do is post each chapter in a post and post them in spoilers so the thread is much easier to navigate and doesn't look so cluttered. After writing it here (the raw version) I'll be transferring it and touching it up on my professional writing website. So any critique is welcomed and encouraged. so without further ado, welcome to my Modern Fantasy/Sci-fi world called Moonlight. (Author notes are just little updates that will be posted here as time goes on)

I've been gone from the site for almost a full month. Just life things but fear not, I've still been writing. Even though I've been tearing and trying to climb this writers wall for the latest chapter. I heard a writer say, "there's no such thing as writers block." I think it may be somewhat true but there is something that keeps you from writing with that flow. I've rewritten my chapter at least 3 full times and even now i'm not satisfied. hopefully, it sounds better to others when it's posted. Will resume trying to write a chapter each night (Thur-Sun) starting this week.
It's almost been a month since my last update. So much for my earlier goal but you know when life hits you with that curveball. So it's been busy for me and still is in the real life. Just a lot of things I have to take care of and get situated. So I now try to get something written down when I can. This novel is still number one for me although I have been planning a cyberpunk story but that's so early in stages it's hardly worth mentioning anything else. yet. But first is this project. I have many things planned for it but the route in between point A and point B is still in development. There are a ton of major events I have planned but the hard part is coming up with things to get to those events. And that's why I rewrite so much because I have to make sure these crazy happenings at least go into each other smoothly.
It's almost been exactly two months! Right when i was trying to get a solid schedule going I ended up getting into a vehicle accident (I'm perfectly fine). I got the car repairs done and over with, finally, but it has put in, severely, in the red in terms of finances. So i've been stressed out trying to get my head above water and it's hard for me to sit down and write while i have this stress just nagging in the back of my head. It's still not taken care of yet but I thought that while I've got down time I'd revisit the site and try to brave through some writing. Here's to hoping I'm not absent for as long as I just was from now on.

Last edited:
From the beginning legends are told; each of them involving different morals and destinies. Storytellers and bards would have you believe in a happy ending. But reality is much crueler. Happy endings are not to be found with the truth. There are those who live and suffer. They are lead to war, always fighting because of fate. After all, battles create legends. But death through battle can also marks the end of a legend. And death is the only thing that surrounds battle.

- Lilith

Last edited:
591789Nero
A woman, dressed in a black gown, with long flowing hair of the same color. Skin as pale as ice. She beckons out to me. I can hear her voice, calling my name. Joining her side, we look onward, at a city consumed in flames. Hundreds dying under the onslaught of shadowy figures.

She hands me a blade black as midnight, and I leap into the fray. I meet many of the city’s defenders, all clad in dark red. I dispatch of them easily. More follow, but they will not stand in my way.

I was sure the last person had fell. But then I heard the faint sounds of someone crying. I turn the corner, and I see a hooded figure holding her daughter close to herself. At the sound of my footsteps she raises her head, and pleads with me to stop. Deaf to her pleas, I step forward. The girl stands her ground, paralyzed with fear. I raise my blade, just as the figure dashes over and pushes the girl away.

Blood splashes over me as the steel sinks into her body. I reach out with a hand to pull back her cloak.

And I scream.

I screamed harder than I have in ages.

----------------
Nero awoke, covered in sweat. Taking a moment to compose himself, he rose from his bed and opened the windows, feeling the cool breeze through him. Living in the countryside was definitely a change.

That dream again…he thought. It had been four years since that battle, yet fragments of those moments still remained in his mind, unforgotten. Glancing at the mark on his right hand, he remembered his last moments with Evelyn, the Queen of Ergon. Dying from a mortal blow inflicted by Faith, who had awakened her powers, she revealed to him that she desired the light too, before giving what was left of her power to him.

The mark’s symbol had changed, from the emblem of Ergon to something cross-shaped in nature. Nero had the feeling he encountered this somewhere before, but he wasn't sure.

“Nero, Breakfast is ready!” a familiar voice called out.

Pushing aside his thoughts for the moment, Nero proceeded to the kitchen where his meal awaited him. There was fish soup, sashimi and some vegetables.

Taking a seat, a pair of hands placed a bowl of rice in front of him. The man glanced up, as his lips met Ambeon's.

“Good morning, Nero. Hope today’s dishes are to your liking.” Smiling sweetly, the girl took her place beside her lover at the table.

“You know I’ll always like your cooking.” Nero said, as he started eating.

They ate in silence for a moment, before Ambeon touched Nero's arm.

“You seem troubled lately..is something bothering you?” She asked. At this, Nero swallowed the rice he had been chewing, and glanced at her.

“It’s nothing. Just having some bad dreams.” He said and Ambeon's eyes narrowed.

“I don’t think they’re just mere nightmares, Nero. For the past month or so you've been acting a little strange. You mumble strange things in your sleep and wake up exhausted. The vegetable fields can’t be tended to with your current state.”

“I know. Perhaps I just need some rest.”

Ambeon turned Nero's body to face her and looked him directly in the eye.

“This isn't a simple matter that can be resolved with just rest alone. I’ve known you since we were together in high school. Your eyes betray a growing unease. It has to do with that mark on your hand, doesn't it?”

Nero instinctively his arm but Ambeon took hold of it.

“Evelyn. You kept mentioning her name, every night you sleep.” she said, with something like a sad expression on her face.

“I….I’m…sorry.” Nero lowered his head, guilty. He had tried to deny this fact for some time but couldn't hide it in his sleep.

“What for? It’s over. If something from the past is still haunting you, you should have let it go already. Indeed, I cannot deny that I was mad at you for entering a brief relationship with her at that time. I cannot deny you took the lives of innocents. But you have already redeemed yourself and I have forgiven you. Strip the hatred and sorrow from our hearts and what’s left? Evelyn threw away everything and tried to change the world.”

Nero paused to let her words settle in. The beginnings of a smile appeared on his face as he nodded in acknowledgement.

“Come on. Let’s finish our meal and get to work.”

----------------
Hours later, as the sun set, Nero and Ambeon were done with planting their crops. They both congratulated themselves on a job well done, as they returned to their house. An old woman, recognizing them, trotted over.

“My, if it isn’t the lovely young couple looking as lively as ever.”

“Mrs. Sen! You’ve already recovered?” Nero asked and the lady gave out a lighthearted chuckle.

“A fever’s nothing to this old woman. Thanks to the medicine that Ambeon got for me.” She said as she bowed to Yuki who, hastily, returned the favor.

“It’s my pleasure. After all, you were the one who helped us settle here four years ago when we had difficulties.”

“Humble as always! In that case, I actually have something to request of you..” Mrs. Sen coughed and Ambeon went to her side.

“You see, one of the villagers’ son, Riku, hasn’t returned for a long time since going into the forest to gather herbs. His father is worried for his safety. If you could help him in locating the boy it'd put me at ease.”

“Certainly," Nero said. "Ambeon, you stay here and look after Mrs. Sen. I’ll give a hand in look for Riku.”

“I’m fine with that, but will you be okay? I mean, you don’t have…”

“I may have not fought for some time but that doesn't mean I've forgotten how. It’ll be fine.” Nero assured her by giving a thumbs up and heading out.

-----------------------------
Trudging into the dense undergrowth, Nero immediately put his aura abilities to work. The sun was already setting so if Riku was nearby, he would know. He gave thanks that it had not rained, for if it did, his progress would be severely hampered.

Sweeping his torchlight, Nero called out Riku’s name several times, but no response. Just then, he stepped on something soft. Lifting his foot, he saw that it was a bag, and upon loosening the string, found some herbs in it, all shredded apart. Examining it and the surroundings more closely, Nero saw patches of blood leading to the east. Seizing upon this lead, Nero quickened his footsteps. The blood trail continued into a clearing, where a small boy laid. Nero guessed it was the missing boy and was about to go over, when he noticed strange marks on the ground beside him. It was like those magic runes used in demonic rituals.

Sensing someone’s presence, Nero crouched behind a bush a figure came into view. They walked over to Riku and knelt as if waiting for something. Then, a second figure came into view and pointed his arm at the boy. A wisp of energy came out from his mouth and Riku twitched in agony before his body started to rise.

He’s absorbing the boy’s life force?!
Nero immediately conjured and tossed a fireball at the figure holding Riku captive and it smashed into him. Riku collapsed onto the ground, gasping for breath. Nero quickly grabbed the boy and retreated back before either of the unknown assailants could retaliate. Yet they stood, looking at the new intruder through their darkness.

“Just who are you…and what do you want with this child?!” Nero demanded.

The figures remained silent. One of them dissipated into the air leaving the first one Nero saw.

I have what I came for. You would do wise not to interfere with us…Nero Rayne.

A woman's voice whispered in Nero's mind, to his shock. The woman, then, started to fade.

“HOLD IT!” Nero shouted, but the figure was gone. He blew out a breath and returned his attention to Riku. Nero sprinted back to the village, healing the boy as best as he could. This encounter had left him with more questions than answers…

Last edited:
591798Trent
Nero paced around uneasily in his room. The encounter just now had clearly shook him to some extent. For all these years, he had avoided any forms of fighting, yet today he was forced to act out of reflex to save a child from harm.

Riku was saved, but what concerned him more was the people that have harmed him.

They knew his name. That should have been impossible after he vanished from Europe, and he had been careful on the journey back. Still, he should have known there would be a few persistent individuals...

Lilith and Astrid. Their two names came to Nero mind almost immediately. While they did not partake in the final struggle with Evelyn, he knew that they had escaped the conflict somehow. Could they have been responsible? Their revenge against him?
A possibility. He won't deny Astrid's hot temper - the one which worried him more was Lilith. Back when he was a member of Ergon and had a brief relationship with Evelyn, Lilith had looked at him once with something deeper than hatred in her eyes. He never forgot that gaze. And not to mention her hypnotic powers, which nearly caused him to lose his mind.

"Still thinking about what happened?" Ambeon came over, and the two sat on his bed.

"Yeah," Nero stammered. "I mean...out of the blue. Four years without anything happening and then, suddenly, something happens. This can't be coincidence."

"I was sure we concealed all traces of our location and Faith along with Elisa were to keep it secret...but how? They know who you are." a puzzled Ambeon scratched at her head. Elisa was with the school Nero also taught at back when he was a teacher. Elisa was the principle but she was also his sister. She was the one hurt most by Nero's betrayal. They've hardly spoken since those events ended.
"Maybe someone eavesdropped on the conversation but if they had to wait four years before taking action...it has to mean that they are planning for something." Nero deduced.

"Planning for what?"

Before Nero could continue, he heard knocking.

"At this hour..."

He opened the door to see a young man with brunette hair covered with a brimmed hat. He removed his hat after Nero answered the door and bowed. By the looks of it this man clearly wasn't Japanese.

"Finally found you. It has been quite an extensive search, trying to locate you after you disappeared...Nero." the man said.

At the mention of his name, Nero felt his heart rate quicken. "Who the hell are you? Never seen you around in these parts. And I'm pretty sure you got the wrong person." Nero said keeping his voice even and the man smirked at the attempt of playing ignorant.

"I don't think so. A certain individual was very helpful in giving us certain...information to your whereabouts, and your identity, 'The Dark Swordsman', as you were known during your time in Ergon. One who turned his back on the human race but returned to the light so that her could turn around that battle in their favor."

At this, Nero's eyes narrowed, still trying to keep his face from giving away emotion other than irritation.

"You think too much. I'm merely an honest, simple, farmer. I've heard about that battle, but at that time I was far away in Japan."

At Nero's last remark the man smile grew. It wasn't menacing but looked as if he were amused. "I didn't come all the way here to hear your denial. You are who you are." The man took out something from his pocket and flashed it in front of Nero's face. It was his portrait, taken back when he was a part of the Royal Guard.

The man held out the device, with the picture, for Nero to see. He took a brief glance before looking back at the man.

"Well, assuming I am that Nero person....what are you looking him up for?"

"Simple." At this, the man brandished two swords - one long, one short from their scabbards, and held them into a very familiar stance.

"You are a wanted criminal, Nero and the price for your capture is quite high..."

Last edited:
591805Ambeon
“You have the wrong person and I don’t fight. There’s no reason to.” Nero said. He was about to turn retreat back into the house when he sensed movement, and instinctively retreated half a step back.

A thin stream of blood flowed from his chin as Nero touched the new wound he had received. It was now clear that this man was intending have a fight no matter what Nero said.

As Nero contemplated on his next course of action, Ambeon, hearing the commotion, stepped out.

“What’s going on, Nero? And who is this?” she asked.

“Some person who claims he tracked me down so he could take me in. He insists upon a fight, but I’m not interested.” Nero responded, then leaned closer to her.

“He seems to know exactly who I am.” Nero whispered, to Ambeon. Alarm, she stepped in front of him.

“If you don’t mind, I will be your opponent in his stead. No one gets away with threatening my loved one.” She said and a thin sword materialized in her hand.

"You must be Ambeon, Nero's petite flower." The man said and bowed again.

"Spare the pleasantries." The girl glared at the stranger with her sword pointed at him. Her response drew a grin from the man. It was the same grin the man showed Nero.

“I don't get enjoyment from fighting women but if its to him I'll make an exception.”

With that, Ambeon charged at the man but he blocked the attack with ease. He then spun the blade and sneaked his left arm to flip Ambeon over his shoulders. As she landed on her back Trent stabbed the ground with his sword right next to her face.

"Now young lady. This is between your husband and me." He turned "If you don't have more people to send I would like to fight you"

Nero merely stared back at the man with fire in his eyes. Trent sensed something and spun away just in time to avoid having his head cut off. Ambeon was back on her feet. He moved his hand to touch the flesh wound above his left eye.

“If you want to take Nero then you will have to kill me. A simple bout will not suffice.” Ambeon then charged and blitzed him with a barrage of blows, only to see the stranger counter each and every one of them. Changing tactics, Ambeon attempted to disarm him by executing a fan kick but Trent managed to hold on to his blades steadfast.

Parrying another blow, Ambeon got to the point where she drove her blade along the swordsman's, pushing it aside and trying to strike for the heart. He lowered and rose his sword in a pattern, dispelling the strength of the blow, and the girl had to retreat to avoid being skewered.

The man knew how to defend against every attack Ambeon attempted. He used a skill used to weaken a strike from a blow and how he recognized the the fan kick to disarm him. The woman went for a change of tactics, pointing her blade at the man and he straightened his hat.

“I'm terribly sorry that I haven't introduced myself. My name is Trent. And I appreciate you defending your man. It's admirable, really. But it is also pathetic for him to be letting his woman fight his battles." Leaping into the air, Trent smashed his swords down onto Ambeon's. She struggled to hold up against his strength as they fought for supremacy.

It wouldn't take long. Attempting to turn the situation in her favor she evaded his guard and stabbed him in the stomach but he didn't so much as flinch. With his free left hand, he delivered a solid punch to the girl's chest and she flew back from the blow. Nero, rushing to catch her, managed to do so before she fell.

“Ambeon! Are you okay?!” He asked, alarmed, to which she nodded. She was winded, but otherwise fine. He turned to glare at Trent.

“Now do you have a reason to fight me? Or do you plan to send more to fight in your place. The Nero Rayne I heard of fought his own battles. Maybe I really do have the wrong person.”

Nero got to his feet, after moving Ambeon to safety, and slowly approached Trent. Without warning, he threw a punch, which Trent promptly intercepted. More blows follow, but he blocked every attack with his palm.

“Peace has cost you strength.” Trent said as he flipped Nero over, leaving him winded on the ground. Trent sheathed his blades, cracking his knuckles as he approached Nero in a boxing stance.

Getting up, Nero lashed at Trent, who countered and just pushed back to create space. Screaming in rage, Nero charged at the man and smashed fists into his body time and again, but Trent didn't move. Pausing for a moment, Trent found his opening. He ducked a punch aimed at his face and threw his own punch, smashing Nero in his jaw in a solid uppercut. The power from the blow lifted him off his feet and he landed, hard, on his back.

Trent gazed coldly at the writhing human in front of him.

“You fight like a child. Whatever the rumors I've heard about you can’t be right.”

Spitting blood, Nero flexed his fists. Trent suddenly reached out and grabbed the man's throat, pinning him down once more. He pounds him until he’s motionless, as Ambeon watched on, helpless, with tears streaming from her face.

Trent finally rose.

“What a disappointment. Breaking a broken man.”

Trent made to leave when but halted. Hearing pants, he moved to see Nero, swaying unsteadily.

“I wonder which will break first. Your spirit," Trent started, as Nero threw another punch, but missed as Trent grabbed and lifted him high by his collar. “or your body.” Trent finished as he smashed Nero down. The sounds of a few bones being broken rang out.

Ambeon, shocked, ran over to Nero and tried to get a response from him, but failed.

“Please, enough!” She screamed.

“Just giving him a wake up call.” Trent answered casually, taking one last look at the hollow eyes of Nero. "I cannot take this man in because he is not Nero. You'd do best to bring him back to reality, Ambeon. Others won't be as merciful." Trent said exiting the house and walking into the village, leaving Ambeon sobbing.

598913Cassandra
The next day, Ambeon woke up to find Nero gone. His bed had already been neatly arranged. Wondering about his location, she had searched the whole village and asked almost everyone before a boy pointed out to her that someone resembling the man had gone off to the area near the mountains. Ambeon had a good feeling she knew where Nero had gone. It was a place he often visited whenever his mind was plagued by the events in Europe several years ago.

Surprisingly, the only injuries Nero had sustained, other than emotional wounds, were fractures to his right arm. Whatever else had been broken or hurt in the fight healed at an alarming rate. Still, Ambeon couldn't help but worry for him. Why would he head off to the mountains when people were out to get him? Wasn't the best option to recuperate back at home? His sword was destroyed in the Ergon battle in Europe. Though they were trained in martial arts, she doubted Nero's abilities to fend off any enemies now after she witnessed Trent pummel him without much effort.

Though she did not know the layout of the nearby mountains, Ambeon decided to head out and look for him. Ambeon just set out to take the path to the mountains when she spotted a girl running up the road towards her. The girl didn't look native to the area either and Ambeon thought she may be with Trent, especially, if this girl was seeking her now.

Shooting her a fierce stare, Ambeon tried to ignore her, when the girl called out.

“Please wait, listen to me!” she pleaded, panting from the exertion.

“I've got no business with you, especially after what your friend did to my husband.” Ambeon replied coldly.

“I know but I’d like to apologize for his brutal personality. Neither of you deserved this. He never fought someone without some really good reason. I'm his apprentice, Cassandra. Once again, I'd like to apologize on his behalf.” Cassandra said, briefly bowing to express her remorse.

“A simple sorry won’t help. Besides, Nero has now gone off somewhere, and I need to look for him. The best thing you and your partner can do for me now is to get the hell out of this village.”

“I’m sincere in making up for this. In fact I'll help you. I was there when the war in against Ergon happened so I can understand where Nero is coming from.” Cassandra said.

Ambeon stood there for a moment, staring at Cassandra. If this girl is really what she says she is, she could be the one to give Nero a fighting chance. And she had apologized for what Trent had done.

This could be a gamble…one worth taking?

Fishing out a pendant, she beckoned Cassandra over. Opening the cover, it revealed a metal fragment lying inside.

“This..is a fragment of Nero's sword, Phoenix, forged by his father but destroyed due to certain reasons. Can you restore the blade to what it was?” Ambeon asked.

Cassandra, slowly and cautiously, took the fragment and looked it over closely. “I can see it--the blade I mean. In my mind's eye. I never thought--Wait, this village does have a forge, right?" Cassandra waved a hand before Ambeon could answer. "It doesn't matter. I don't really need one anyway.”

“Um, there’s one, though it has not been in use for a while now.”

“That'll suffice.” Cassandra said, clenching the fragment in her hand. Suddenly Ambeon cupped her hands around Cassandra's.

“Don’t screw this up.” She said, gazing into Cassandra's eyes and the girl slowly nodded.

Last edited:
592661Kani
Nero almost collapsed with exhaustion after trudging through another area thick with undergrowth. Coupled with his broken right arm, which he had in a sling, made the journey more difficult. But he was determined to reach his destination.

On the way he had acquired a long branch to use as a makeshift staff. Pushing aside a bush, he gave a sigh of relief. There was the hot spring he had been looking for, famed for its healing properties. So far he hadn't told anyone about it, even Ambeon.

The incident with Trent had reminded Nero about how weakened he was. He couldn't afford to be in this state any longer. He was a warrior and should act like one.

With some difficulty, Nero took off his clothing and immersed himself into the spring’s waters, and could feel its effects almost immediately. But the healing would take some time and he wouldn't appreciate outsiders.

As soon as he felt he could drop his guard, Nero felt a prickly sensation down his neck. Years didn't dull his senses, just his ability to fight. Pretending to be comfortable, Nero, subtly, looked around. It seemed that there wasn't anyone but he thought he sensed movement from a bush. Someone was definitely out there.

Nero waited for a moment longer for anything to happen but there was nothing. Had he been wrong?
He’d lowered his head, when a shadow flew over his head, and held a short sword to his throat, so fast that he couldn’t react. Nero remained absolutely still, aware that any further movement could result in his death.

The girl was dressed in a type of hooded cloak with the back being short and separate like two, drooping, wings. Aside from that she looked like she wearing swimwear as if she had planned to bathe in the springs as well.

“It seems like you're a little lost. Not everything around here is open to the public.”

The female voice sounded familiar to Nero.

“I've been here a few times and don't remember, ever, seeing any signs or people.” Nero answered confidently. Almost immediately, he felt the pressure of the knife off his neck, and the man turned his head to face her. Pulling off her hood, it revealed a striking girl of twenty with pale brown skin and striking blue eyes and hair bordering between red and brown. Nero’s jaw almost dropped upon recognizing her.

“Kani! Long time no see.” Nero said, as Kani grinned in response. Back when he was younger and training Kani had been his longtime partner, and Nero knew her as a playful, spirited, and silly girl.

“Its very good to see you too, Nero. And I was beginning to wonder when you will ever pay us a visit back here. Anyway, what are you doing -” pausing, she took a brief glance at Nero's wounded arm and a look of concern crossed her face. “You’re wounded. It has been a while. Did you trip and fall on the way up here?” she asked in a sarcastic tone.

“No." Nero answered, almost offended Kani thought Nero was that clumsy. "It’s a long story. As to why I’m back here after so long, if you got time, I’ll tell you.” Nero said.

“I’m all ears.” Kani nodded and she listened rapt as Nero gave a brief recount of the events that had happened over the past few years, from him joining Ancora Insitute, to Faith’s abduction, his temporary defection to Ergon, and his eventual redemption to seal humanity’s victory over the enemy.

After a moment of silence, Kani spoke.

“I didn’t know you’ve been through so much, Nero. I’m sorry I had to hear that. I've heard about what happened in England but I would never have guessed you were, smack, in the middle of it all.”

“It’s fine. Perhaps the war had made me see what I really was like on the inside. I wasn’t strong enough to be able to protect the ones I love. Now…I want to change that. I want to be able to fight. Otherwise, Ambeon would be disappointed with me.”

“I’ve heard you mention her many times. What’s your status with her now?”

“Oh…we got married.” The moment he said that, Nero swore he caught a flash of disappointment over Kani's face.

“I see...congratulations! Anyway, I should assist you with your wounds.” Kani hesitantly said, as she put one hand on Nero's shoulder.
He could feel a warm tingle spread throughout his entire body. He’d recalled how his leg had suffered a nasty gash during a training mission, and Kani used a similar ability to speed up the recovery process.

After what felt like an hour, Kani lifted her hands sweating from the exhaustion.

“There, that should do for today. Coupled with the healing spring’s effects, your fractured arm should be fully healed within a week or so.”

“You still have healing hands.” Nero said, nodding in thanks. Blushing, Kani leaned in closer and quickly embraced him. The action took him off guard.

“I know I’ve said this, but I’m glad to see you again. It hasn’t been the same since you left.”

“What’s wrong? Are your sisters alright?” Kani nodded.

“They are doing fine. But it has also been a while since we have communicated. I heard my sister, Keytara, was in England, as well, during the war. I haven't heard from my oldest sister, Kanna, in years.”

Nero frowned. He would tell Kani that it would be best to keep in contact with her siblings but that would make him a hypocrite. Nero hadn't been in contact with his own sister, Elisa, since the war. Granted, his betrayal and the deep look of hurt and hatred from his sisters, normally, calm features racked him with guilt. He tried speaking with her once but she all but disowned him as a brother.

“Don’t worry," Nero said. "your sisters are strong. I'm sure they are doing as well as you are wherever they may be. I should be going back to the village now."

"Do you need me to guide you back down?" Kani said, her usual glowing smile returning back to her features. "Don't want you potentially, falling and breaking anything."

“No, I can manage, thank you.”

“Alright then. See you tomorrow!” Kani said, and with a leap, she was gone. Nero didn’t even tell her that he had planned to come to the springs every day. Rising out of the waters, he reached for his sling but realized his arm didn't hurt at all anymore. Nero silently thanked his old friend and got dressed before heading back to the village. Today had certainly been eventful.

592966Astrid
The next few days, Ambeon would always find Nero already in bed by midnight which was much later than normal. When she attempted to ask him of his whereabouts, all she got were vague answers. Her attempts at tracking Nero proved futile, for he had managed to cover his tracks every time he set out. Whenever his wife tried tracking him she would eventually get lost and turn back.

Nero, what are you up to? Why won’t you tell me?

Nero may have been keeping something from her but Ambeon was, in fact, doing the same. She was hiding the fact that Cassandra was reforging his sword. Luckily, the forge was located some distance away and Nero never suspected anything.

Meanwhile, back at the healing springs, Nero examined his right arm. The discolored bruises have been steadily fading, and he could close and open his fist without any resistance. Even though Kani took away the pain his arm still had to go through a natural healing process, though sped up, still had to be done.

“Your healing rate is amazing. Even with my healing ability, I’ve never seen anyone recover that fast.” Kani remarked.

“I'm that lucky, I guess.” Nero replied, though he knew that wasn’t the case. Though he was “free” of the sinister mark from Evelyn, it seemed that it had left him with some curious regenerative abilities. He was almost there. Soon, he would be able to fight once more. As he made to leave the spring, he felt a prickling sensation on his neck, and glanced at his surroundings.

“Saw something?” Kani asked.

“No." Nero said hesitantly. "I think I was mistaken.” His gaze trailed off. Nero had learnt to trust his instincts and something was wrong. But what? He then looked up into the sky and realized that it had turned a pale gray with storm clouds on the horizon.

“Seems we lost track of time..its going to rain cats and dogs soon! I’d hurry if I were you.” Kani said, helping Nero finish wrapping the new set of bandages around his arm. It was more for appearances than anything. Nero didn't like keeping all the secrets from Ambeon but for now it was the best until he could tell her about the mark.

Nodding his thanks, to Kani, Nero made his way down towards the village.

On the crest overlooking the village where Nero lived five figures stood, glancing at the settlement. One of them approached a man that stood at the front.

“Is this the place?”

“…There’s no doubt. My sources have been extremely reliable. This is where he resides now.”

“So then…what are your orders?”

"Lay waste to everything until Nero comes out of hiding…"

The figure bowed and signaled to the three others behind him. One by one, they vanished in a swirl of dark energy.

The lone person remaining withdrew her hood and drew her weapon from a cloud of black smoke; a chainsaw black as night, etched with various runes. She glared at what was before her, before allowing herself a satisfactory smirk.

“Time to have my revenge.”

592974Rebecca
There was a knock on one of the villager's door. The people of the home answered and saw a man with black eyeliner and short hair standing at the door.

"Who are you?" The man of the house asked and the stranger smiled.

"There is a gathering in the center of the village. It would be in your best interest to attend." With that the stranger walked away and moved on to the next home. The man that answered the door and his wife went to see what was happening in the center of the village. When they arrived most of the villagers had already been gathered. In the middle of the confused and worried crowd were about a dozen more outsiders.

"All of them talking at once is giving me a headache." Astrid said rubbing her fingers against her temples. The man that was going from house to house finally stepped beside her, done with his task.

"Are you sure it's the noise of the crowd that is giving your head pain? I think putting up with Amy would cause anyone strife."

Amy was a bit different than everyone in Astrid's group. She was obsessed with the pop music, anime, and video games that came from Earth. Pretty much anything that involved electronics and entertainment had her immediate attention. She was more particularly interested in anything that came from or had to deal with Japan. Even now, after climbing from the bottom up for several years, she was a successful rock and pop-star in Japan and was even well known. Everyone else in the group didn't really care for or like anything Earth had to offer.

"Are you sure it's okay for her to be in on our operation? She doesn't see eye to eye with the others." The man asked again.

"Sid, you worry too much. Everything has been planned out carefully and all possible options explored. In fact Amy is a very valuable asset to us. The fact that she has so many loyal fans may benefit us when we need them." Astrid explained.

"And what about gathering the others?" Astrid put up a finger.

"Can we just focus on one thing at a time? For now we deal with removing the immediate threat." Astrid saw her sister moving towards the middle of the crowd while holding up her hand and everyone grew silent. Rebecca was hard to get along with at one time. In essence the girl was worse than Amy in her views of humans. Even to the point of coming to earth to observe them and collect data to prove that they were a race that could be talked to and could live in harmony with other races. But then she was almost killed by the very man they were tracking now. Nero Rayne had taken Rebecca's eye and ran her heart through with his weapon. He had left her for dead. Luckily Rebecca required further steps to fully be vanquished. Astrid's sister had been recovered and through magic was given a new eye. And with the new eye was born also a hatred for the man that had taken it. Nero also killed any personality of kindness or morals the girl had before as well. Rebecca personally wanted to slowly make the man suffer and die a painful death.

In truth Astrid was a little jealous of her younger sister. People seemed to he much more intimidated by the silent type rather than someone with a short temper. Astrid guessed the reason was that if Rebecca did something out of anger it was sudden and unexpected. Where with Astrid there was foreshadow with her anger coming forth first followed by whatever actions she took.

"People of this village," Rebecca began. "we have gathered you here to inform you that there is someone that resides in or around this place. He has been on the run for a while. We have very reliable intel that points to this village being his current residence." Rebecca brought out a large photograph of a man. An immediate murmur broke out among the villagers. Rebecca held up a hand and once again there was silence. "This man, Nero Rayne, is a wanted man. He has a very outstanding warrant for the killing of many men and women of secret agencies as well as being one of the main conspirators of the terrorist organization that attacked a city in England prior years before. He is a very dangerous man and a reward would be given to anyone that aided in his capture. It is believed he may have a female accomplice as well. She is also to be arrested for questioning. Remember that this man is an international criminal and a terrorist and with your aid he can finally be arrested and charged for his crimes." Sid leaned towards Astrid.

"Your sister is a good speaker." Astrid nodded.

"That's the main thing that she's known for. No one has seen her fight because she goes for a person's main weakness." Astrid tapped a finger against the side of her head. "She knows how to get into anyone's head. And she won't hesitate to beat someone from the inside-out."

595265Rebecca
There were murmurings among the crowd, most of which recognized Nero's portrait. Some of the villagers visibly shrank in fear, whilst others bore confused expressions on their faces, unsure of whether to believe in the facts Rebecca had just spoken. But doubt had been sewn amongst their hearts, and Rebecca could see that.

“If you hand him over without resistance, I can promise you all that a generous reward will be given from our leader.” She continued, as arguments started to break out. Eventually an old woman called out for silence, and stepped forward to face her.

“Whoever you are looking for is not in this village. Leave us be.” Mrs. Sen said and Rebecca stared at her coldly.

“You think you know the man? You do not know the severity of the crimes he's committed. The lives he's taken! Hand Nero over and your people will be safe.”

“From people like you? Never!” Mrs. Sen raised her cane and hit Rebecca’s left leg, but she didn’t flinch. Instead, her eyes flashed and the next instant the old woman fell to the ground. None of the villagers stepped forward to help her, fearful of suffering the same fate.

"Siding with the criminal is punishable by death. May she will be the reminder of how serious this is." Rebecca said pointed to the Mrs. Sen.

“Should we tell her? I don’t want to die…”

“He’s a criminal all this while? No wonder he had that shady look about him...”

“We should have never accepted him in the first place!”

The noise level rose again as the villagers bickered amongst themselves, as Rebecca allowed herself to smile slightly.

The humans’ hearts were weak, still. All it takes is a little push.

Additional footsteps were heard and everyone turned towards Ambeon, who was striding down the path.

“What’s going on? Why is everyone gathered…” she then saw the figures in front of the villagers and froze upon seeing someone familiar. Her expression turned to one of utter shock, as Astrid grinned maliciously and stepped forward.

“Long time no see, Ambeon.” Astrid gestured towards Rebecca, who pointed a finger at Nero's wife.

“She is the accomplice I mentioned earlier who assisted in Nero's hiding.” Rebecca said, and the villagers gasped.

“What are you talking about? Nero isn’t here. If you’ve come to stir up trouble, please leave us now!”

Even as she said so, Ambeon readied herself for a fight. Back then, when she fought Astrid in the ruined halls of Arachnid Academy, she was almost overwhelmed by her strength. Seeing her again out the blue left her speechless.

“Ambeon, how could you do this to us?" A man from the village called out. "Harboring a criminal without our knowledge…”

“You’ve endangered us all!”

“Yeah, that’s right!”

Ambeon looked at the roaring crowd with desperation.

“You guys believe all that to be true? They don’t have a single piece of evidence to back up their claim!” she said.

“Oh I assure you, we do have evidence. Amy, if you please.” Astrid gestured.

A girl with highlighted hair in a ponytail walked up to Rebecca and handed her an oval shaped device and then she pressed a button, which projected out a holographic footage. As it played, the color visibly drained from Ambeon's face.

The footage was of Nero murdering innocent civilians during the Human-Ergon battle. While Ambeon knew of his actions then, witnessing them first hand was another matter altogether.

After a moment Rebecca switched the projection off and swept her arms outward in a gesture of triumph.

“People, after seeing this, do you truly believe me now? Nero Rayne is a menace to be exterminated. He will eventually reveal his true colors and kill you all just as he did to the people in the footage you just witnessed. They had no warning of what he was capable of and we are here to give you that warning and prevent any further mishaps.”

At this, the villagers didn’t hesitate any longer. Two of them grabbed hold of Ambeon, by surprise, while the rest fanned out to search for the wanted man. As the girl struggled in the villagers’ grip, Astrid walked up to her.

“You seem pretty happy, living out your pathetic life.” She says, and slaps Ambeon across her face.

“These four years, I’ve never forgotten how he turned his back on us. I still don’t know why Evelyn chose him…a human! Then all she got in return was her death.” Astrid seethed, backhanding Ambeon again. Grabbing her face, she drew nearer.

“Tell me where he is.”

In response, Ambeon quickly rear kicked the two villagers holding her hostage and spun away. She had barely materialized her sword when it made contact with Astrid’s chainsaw. Metal grated against metal, before they broke from each other.

Amy and Sid advanced slowly, but Astrid held out an arm.

“I got a personal score to settle with her. You two go search the village.”

“Ive got a concert in two hours. This better be quick.” Amy muttered, as she and Sid leapt over Ambeon. She tried to stop them, only to meet Astrid’s chainsaw again. The force of the blow knocked her to the ground.

Astrid leapt upon her, determined to land the fatal blow, but was blocked by two blades crossed on top of each other. She cursed and retreated.

“Who dares--!?”

Trent stood before Ambeon, a smile on his face. He, casually, adjusted his stance, all the while keeping his gaze on Astrid.

“I didn’t ask for your help.” Ambeon said, getting up.

“It doesn't matter. I help who I choose regardless if they call for it or not and I'm sure you got more important things to tackle. I’ll handle the chainsaw weilder.” Trent charged at Astrid before Ambeon could respond, and she turned and ran, hoping she wasn't too late.

If they find Cassandra, its all over…

Last edited:
594825Sid
"I think I got it back to how it was."

Cassandra said with a slight grin. She checked over the sword again looking for anything that was out of place. She was good at forming materials from her mind but normally they were only things like smaller objects. If she really concentrated then she could form a bat or another small melee weapon. But normally it would shatter like glass on impact. The damage was decent though since it was manifested and condensed energy exploding. But with the fragment Ambeon had given Cassandra, an exact replica could be made. The fragment itself radiated enough energy to form the sword without Cassandra having to give much herself.

"The sword and energy from it are stable. Now it'll be like Nero never lost it in the first place."

She held it in the air checking for any flaws once more. Nothing. Nothing wrong and in record time. Cassandra turned her head and saw people waking around, clearly going house to house to check on someone. Asking around. They didn't look like any villagers either.

Sid approached after seeing that Cassandra was one of the few people left to gather to the center of the village. Before he could approach Amy jumped in front of him, holding a handgun, clumsily. She held the gun closely in front of her with both hands, making it obvious that she probably never held a firearm in her life.

"Freeze, and put your hands up!" Amy said and released a giggle at the end. Cassandra quickly raised her hands. The girl acted like she was joking but the gun looked very real.

Sid scoffed and slapped the gun from Amy's hand and it slid across the floor. With a moan Amy quickly went to retrieve the weapon. Sid then focused his attention back to Cassandra who still had her hands in the air.

"You can put your hands down. I'm sorry for her. She's obviously still a child at heart and I'm almost sure that it wasn't loaded. Our reason for coming here was to escort you to where everyone else is. The village is currently locked down and is holding a very dangerous criminal. It is our job to get you all to a safe place and away from any potential harm." Amy came back examining her gun for any damage.

"What was that for? You could have broken it." Sid grabbed the gun.

"One: this thing is not a toy. Two: you don't walk around shoving a weapon in anyone's face for play. You are definitely not a child but sometimes I think your brain is much less progressed than you physical being." Amy grinned a mischievous grin.

"Like I care what you think, Sid. Just hurry and bring the person. We're in a rush!" Amy turned and walked off and Sid smiled shaking his head.

"The gall of that girl. Thinking she can give me orders." Sid turned to Cassandra again and did a brief bow. "I'm terribly sorry. If I had a choice I would have saved you from having to bear that quarrel. Now if you will follow me we can hurry and complete what we came here for and you can get back to your daily business."

“Okay, can we back up? Dangerous criminal? Potential harm? Who are you talking about?” Cassandra asked, though she already had an idea.

“Nero Rayne. He participated in the battle between Ergon and the humans four years ago and was responsible for killing many of the latter. If you remain here I cannot guarantee your safety. Please come with us.” Sid extended a hand, but Cassandra took a step back. Trent had told her the truth behind Nero's involvement.

If Nero was really a good guy then would that make these guys the bad guys or just average bounty hunters?

“I don’t know who you guys are, why should I do as you say? Also, how do you really know he’s a villain? Maybe he isn’t one.” Cassandra said, testing the waters.

At this, Sid’s eyes gleamed.

“Judging from what you said…you seem to know him, too. And now that I think about it, you don't look Japanese, let alone a villager from here. Tell me his whereabouts.”

Whoops. Cassandra mentally kicked herself for making something so obvious.

Sid stepped closer as Cassandra and she snatched up a Blacksmith’s hammer.

“Nope, and I’m not leaving until I’m done with Nero's new sw-“ Cassandra tried to stop herself but it was too late. The secret was out. People always said the girl never was good with talking and she was definitely seeing why.

“Ah, so that’s your true motives. Making a weapon for a convict!” Sid clenched his hands, his gaze boring into Cassandra's.

Without taking her eyes off Sid, Cassandra dropped the hammer and grabbed a red hot poker with her free hand and threw it like a spear towards him. Sid calmly broke it apart with one punch. The pieces fell to the ground and Abby noticed that they melted as well.

Sid, now within an arm’s length of Cassandra, made to grab the newly completed sword but Abby swiped her former weapon and smashed the hammer against his arm quickly, knocking it aside. Angered, Sid lashed out by kicking her side with his leg. Cassandra crumpled to the floor with a moan.

With no one to stop him now, Sid winded up another fist, and just before it made contact with the sword, he sensed movement and instinctively spun his body away. A cut opened up on his right cheek, as Ambeon stepped in, her clothes slightly singed.

“Fancy fire tricks there from your partner. I won’t let you ruin Cassandra's work.”

Sid, getting to his feet, made a mental note to punish Amy for her incompetence later. Dashing towards Ambeon, he jabbed for her lower left, but she dodged and returned with a kick to the chest. Grunting, he lashed out towards her face. Ambeon brought up her sword, but as Sid’s palm made glancing contact, she was shocked to discover that part of the cross-guard shattered into pieces.

She retreated further into the forge as Sid gloated at her.

Ambeon glanced at her sword briefly. That punch didn’t seem to be thrown with much effort, yet it wielded destructive force. Deducing that he wasn’t a normal person, she let her blade shimmer away. She had to think up a different strategy to fight him. He was obviously experienced against a blade.

She noticed that in Sid’s stance, his right hand was a little low. This could be a trap, but she had to take a gamble. Feinting an attack to Sid’s ribs, Sid moved to defend himself, and Ambeon went for his exposed side. But Sid was ready and shot his right fist across, the knuckles hitting the back of Ambeon's wrist. They struck a nerve point, causing her to lose strength in her hand.

Before she could retreat, Sid struck back with disconcerting speed. His left fist hit her ribs, and his right hook caught the side of her eye. Then finally, an uppercut to her jaw floored her. Head ringing with pain, she writhed on the ground as Cassandra watched helplessly. But Sid made no attempt to finish her off.

“Get up!” Sid snarled.

Ambeon realized that Sid actually wanted to enjoy and extend the fight. Not wanting to give her opponent such pleasure, she wiped blood from her lower lip and rose to her feet again.

As soon as she did so, Sid front kicked her in the chest, hitting her solar plexus. Feeling as if her own lungs had imploded, Ambeon struggled to breathe, as Sid slowly approached her. Despite being half-crippled by Sid’s precision blows, she stood up once more. All those endurance lessons had paid off, allowing her to build a resilience to pain. She knew her opponent, seeing the telltale signs of each attacks and learning to counter them.

Half-bent over, she gave Sid the target of her head. As he went to kick her there, she leapt into action. Avoiding his foot and stepping inside the arc, she trapped his leg with her left arm, and drove a knuckle strike at the midpoint of the thigh. Sid grunted with pain as the unexpected attack struck with such force that it paralyzed his entire leg.

Sid staggered backwards, and then fell victim to a headbutt underneath his jaw. Ambeon then easily swept him off his feet. Sid tried to correct himself, but his immobilized leg gave way. He crashed to the ground, face contorted in shock and anger at being beaten. Before anything else could happen, Cassandra leapt forward and struck him in the head with the blunt end of her hammer. Sid slumped unconscious.

“You’re not the only one that knows such techniques.” Ambeon called out, panting before turning to Cassandra. “The sounds of the battle will have attracted the rest of them here. Take the sword with you and get out of here. I’ll divert their attention.” She said.

“You must be joking! You need help defending this village if there are others like this guy and the girl.” Cassandra replied.

“But we can’t just leave it here-"

A cry from the square brought the two outside, to witness Astrid’s chainsaw cut deep into Trent's right shoulder. As he fell to the ground, she turned her head in their direction and narrowed her eyes.

“Cassandra, you have to move now!” Ambeon shouted.

“No one is going anywhere.” Rebecca’s voice rang out as she materialized in front of her. A few villagers were close by, and they formed a circle, cutting off any route of escape.

“Yeah, that’s right! Thanks to you, my whole body is hurting like hell!” Amy pushed her way into the circle, then took the chance to spit at Ambeon.

“There is now irrefutable proof that you are cooperating with the fugitive. Ambeon and her accomplice, you are both under arrest.” Rebecca said, and with a wave of her hand, cuffs materialized on their wrists, holding them tight together. They tried to struggle against their bonds to no avail.

“Take them away.” Encouraged by the burning sensation of the cuffs, Ambeon and Cassandra had no choice but to comply. The villagers promptly stripped Cassandra of any extra weapons, and watched as they were marched back to the village square.

“I’m sorry. I gave away everything about the sword and me working with you.” Cassandra whispered.

“Its okay…” Ambeon said, though she knew otherwise.

As the group reached the square, Sid now came along, clutching his head. He took a moment to glare at Cassandra before rejoining Astrid and the others. He was holding Nero's sword, much to the two girls' disappointment.

“They were making a new weapon for Nero, it seems. But it is not complete. Whatever energy i sense from the sword hasn't been sealed yet. It'll soon disperse. I’ll leave it in your hands, Astrid.” He said, tossing the katana into Astrid’s hands.

Examining the craftsmanship, she looked at Cassandra.

“You’ve certainly got some interesting skills. We could use you…but too bad. I swore that I would destroy everything Nero has…and this is just but a foundation stone.”

Summoning energy in her hands, she tightened her grip on the sword. Ambeon screamed and tried to rush forward, but Sid struck her in the stomach and she keeled over.

The aura around Astrid’s hand intensified, as the sword started to glow as well. Cracks started to appear along its surface, as Cassandra looked on in despair. All her hard work was going to waste.

Astrid opened her fist, and was about to close it to deal the finishing blow, when a blur swept across from above her and snatched the sword from her grasp. The figure landed behind her and turned to look at everyone.

“You don’t need to do this...Astrid.” Nero said, as the villagers gasped at his reappearance. They shrunk back, leaving him to face the unknowns alone.

“I have been waiting, you traitor. My partner would also like to reintroduce herself.” Astrid seethed, as Rebecca stepped forward. Nero's eyes widened at seeing a person long thought dead. Rebecca stared at Nero emotionlessly.

“You took out my right eye and stabbed my heart back then, didn’t you? When you were fighting to save that city. I’ll most definitely want to return the favor…” she said, as Amy and Sid spread out beside her.

Horrendous time to have a “reunion...” Nero thought.

“Your target is me. Leave this village alone.”

“I’ll gladly oblige…” Astrid started to rev up her chainsaw again when Rebecca placed a hand on her shoulder.

“Don’t forget Lilith’s instructions. We are to take him back, not kill him…yet.” She said the last word through clenched teeth.

595266Lilith
Nero assessed the new arrivals in front of him, and was formulating a plan when he saw Ambeon trying to break free of her bonds. She met his gaze with a glare.

“For god’s sake, Nero, where have you disappeared to? These people came out of nowhere asking for you, and with your arm in that condition--" Her gaze turned to his right arm.

“How did your arm get healed so fast?!”

“I'm extremely sorry, Ambeon but I’ll answer your questions later. I promise. But for now" Nero turned his attention towards the invaders. "You guys want me. So set the rest of the villagers free.” He said and Rebecca nodded for Sid to cut Ambeon and Cassandra's restraints. Beside them, a bandaged Trent watched on.

As Astrid and the rest approached Nero, he shifted his feet slightly. When they were within two arms’ length, he turned tail and fled. Astrid, exploding with rage, screamed and charged forward, pushing her team mates and villagers aside. Without much of a choice, Amy, Sid and Rebecca followed, leaving the villagers alone.

Ambeon started to move but Trent called out to stop her.

“Its his own fight from here on out. Even if you went after him, you can’t help. You’ve seen what one of them could do.” Trent pointed to his wound. “So just trust in him.”

As Nero sprinted down the dirt path leading away from the village, he could sense four auras in hot pursuit. His priority had been to get them away. Even so, he knew he was at a serious disadvantage. Having fought Astrid and Rebecca before, he knew their strengths. But Sid and Amy were unknown factors.

Nero hadn’t ran so much for a long time and before he knew it, he was tiring. Suddenly, an energy bolt singed his left leg and he winced in pain. Two more struck the area in front of him before a final bolt struck his back and sent him sprawling to the ground. By the time he got to his feet, he was surrounded.

“You don’t know how long I have waited for this, Nero. I don’t care what she says, I’ll make sure to slowly torture you for the hurt you caused before bringing you back.”

She? Who’s she?

Nero had no time to wonder before Astrid brought her chainsaw down onto him, and he brought up the incomplete sword to intercept her blow. As his sword arm had just healed, Nero decided not to take a risk and use his left arm instead. But Astrid’s strength was as, if not more, overwhelming than before. Nero could see the endless pit of hatred and anger in her eyes, as Astrid continuously slashed at him with a frenzy. She managed to cut Nero on the cheek and graze his right shoulder.

“Ha! What’s going on? Have you lost your warrior’s concentration? Oh, I almost forgot. You are one no longer!” Astrid leapt high and brought her chainsaw down. Nero held his sword up to intercept, when to his shock, the chainsaw broke the blade in two. The pieces of the metal disintegrated as they fell to the ground and the impact knocked him down.

Seeing this, Astrid seized her chance and pinned Nero to the ground. He tried to fight back by swinging a fist at her face, but was easily knocked away. She then drove her chainsaw into Nero's neck and he laid still.

“Astrid you idiot! Lilith wanted him alive!” Amy moaned, as Astrid stood up.

“I don’t care anymore. Lets bring his corpse back and "“ Astrid paused, sensing movement. She looked down and her eyes widened in surprise. There was only a small cut on Nero’s neck as opposed to the gaping wound she had anticipated.

Glaring at Astrid, Nero suddenly unleashed a torrent of energy that pushed her back and burnt her weapon hand.

In disbelief, Astrid did a double take. That had definitely been a death blow, she reasoned, but a normal human could not have such great durability. Unless…

The cross symbol on Nero’s right hand started to glow and pulsate at a fast rate, as blue streams of energy swirled up around him. Eyes glowing red, he shifted into a sword-drawing stance. The energies focused on his hands, forming the shape of a sword.

Never hesitate. A voice resonated in Nero's mind. With determination, he drew the blade, causing a huge explosion. Astrid and the rest were forced to shield their eyes.

When the smoke cleared, the man stood with one sword in each hand. Both blades are crystalline blue with winged handles. Runes could be seen etched onto their slim curved blades.

Amy now launched a salvo of fireballs at Nero, but he swung one sword at them and dispelled the attack. Sid followed up, trying to land a punch to shatter Nero's weapon again but he ducked and slashed Sid across the chest, and a line of blue flames ignited on the fresh wound, causing him to back off. Astrid, now back with a vengeance, locked blades with Nero. He instinctively drove one blade along the length of the chainsaw and forced it aside, while thrusting for the chest with his other. Cursing, she managed to smash the sword aside in a last ditch maneuver.

“Just what are you? That just now…was not a power belonging to the Void.” Astrid said. Then her eyes fell upon the still glowing cross symbol on Nero's hand, and was promptly shocked.

“Don’t tell me you "“

But before she could finish, Rebecca gripped Astrid’s arm firmly.

“Astrid, Lilith has called for us to return. We have stayed here for far too long.”

“What?! I almost had him!” Astrid seethed, angry that her prey was to be let off.

“I understand your eagerness for revenge as much as I want to, but our priorities are first. We can leave him…for later.” Rebecca replied calmly.

Still clenching her fists, Astrid powered down her chainsaw and regrouped with the rest. Rebecca waved a hand and a portal opened. As they stepped into it Nero tried to rush them but his swords met thin air as the portal vanished.

Exhausted from the exertion he fell to the ground. The one thing that remained on his mind before he passed out was that name.

Lilith.

597107Zack Yumari
A paper was slammed down on Zack's desk. He barely stirred from his nap. The lack of reaction made, his assistant, Uriko's eyebrow twitch.

“Sir, I think this is important for you to look at.” Zack still didn't move his head from his desk. Uriko finally gave up, in frustration, and walked out of his office. When the door closed Zack finally lifted his head and peered at what the girl had laid on his desk. It was an article on the string of assassinations that have been going on in Europe. He already knew about it. A person or a group of organized people were going around killing all the big names in Europe. The press and politics already addressed that the ones responsible for the activities were people with Gifts since the people targeted were men and women that supported the increased security against anyone showing any type of abnormal abilities.

Something, then, caught Zack's eye that brought his heart rate up a bit. The mayor of a port city in Japan was just declared dead earlier this morning. Although it seemed as if he died from a car accident foul play is still not ruled out.

Zack calmed himself. It was probably an accident after all. The little group of activist may have done it, in a worst case scenario. But it would be odd for the normally secretive rebels to do something like this. There wasn't any organized crime that would act out in the open. At least, not in Japan, the country Zack himself was in. Criminals knew he'd shut it down swiftly. Unless the group from Europe crossed the ocean then the rebels in Japan must have been getting brave to perform an assassination of their own. It was quite a jump. But then again, Zach doesn't know how terrorist think. He only has their previous actions to express what they are up to.

But even this was considered nothing compared to what Zack used to do. He was a Guardian after all. His responsibilities used to involve saving the planet--saving his Realm. Dealing with small rebels was more than a huge step backwards and to be blunt; it was boring. It had been silent for a long time. Four years something happened in England but that was the closest to anything resembling a real threat. But it was resolved mostly before Zack even step foot in the country. The only thing to come out of that was finally appointing a new Queen over this Realm and having discussions over what should happen if the group from the invaders were to come back.

It was a waste of time discussing that particular topic because it was confirmed that any unauthorized portals leading to the Middle Realm, Earth, were closed. There were two suspects that disappeared and one of them being wanted but just plastering the guy's name on a piece of paper and sticking a price on him was enough for the higher ups to call the case closed. They were convinced that the bounty hunters would take it from there and the other person that disappeared wasn't considered a threat.

Zack yawned and was considering another nap when his assistant barged through the door again.

“Ah-ha! Caught you awake this time.” All Zack could do was mutter under his breath for not locking the door after Uriko left last time.

“What is it this time, Uriko?” She shoved another paper in Zack's face. He leaned back in his chair and took a look at it. The paper held a portrait of a man and a woman. He immediately recognized the picture of the man as Nero Rayne. “Okay, you obviously have something to tell me relating to this I hope?”

“Looks like those bounty hunters you deemed worthless proved themselves. They found both of these people.” A small fire started to kindle in Zack's eyes.

“Did these two elude capture?” Zack asked hoping for a right answer.

“So far yes, but we have their location pinpointed and are already prepping a plane with several other squad members. They are not far from our location.” Zack couldn't help a smile appear on his face.

“ETA from takeoff?” Zack asked already going to his closet and pulling out his gear.

“ETA is twenty minutes.” Zack closed the closet door and was already heading out the office.

“Hurry yourself up, Uriko. I want to be in the air in three minutes.

As Zack neared the destination he saw that they were in a remote village. Population easily in the low hundreds at best. Zack turned to his assistant and personal bodyguard.

“So this is where the class A criminal hid himself for four years?” Uriko shrugged.

“I don't know if he's been here the whole time or not. But what matters is that he's here now. It would be expected that he take up residence in a small village. None of the residents would, most likely, not know about his status since this area is secluded from a lot of modern city influence.”

“And who's the girl? His spouse?” Uriko shrugged again. A habit that Zack found annoying but it was something he put up with since she was extremely good at her job.

“All I know is that Nero and Ambeon worked together a while ago. But most of that information is classified by the organization they worked for. Even though the two are embarrassments the people they work for stick to their policies of keeping all their members' information classified.” Zack nodded and someone called out that they were about to make it to the drop off zone. Zack looked and saw a group of villagers looking up in confusion. He didn't see anyone that would resemble bounty hunters and wondered if Nero took them out. But he couldn't see Nero either, so maybe he was taken.

Zack and his squad touched down and was taken aback that the villagers were immediately cooperative. The must have found out who exactly Nero was or what he had done. Or maybe he held these villagers as hostages for four years. Zack shook the thought. His mind was wondering too much. He was too excited to be dealing with issues as a Guardian and not as a federal operative.

To Zack's surprise the man he was looking for was sitting down with the girl, Ambeon, as if they were waiting. Zack frowned at the lack of resistance.

“So, you must be Nero and Ambeon, I presume?” Zack called out above the drone of the helecopter. The young man looked up and met Zack's eyes.

“You presume correctly.” He answered.

“You do realize that you've been on the run for quite some time. You have quite the list of accomplishments that you've achieved back in England. They personally, want your head-on a plate. But that's not my style. We do things the way I want them done since you are in my jurisdiction now.” A couple of soldiers walked up to Nero and Ambeon, put them in cuffs, and led them to the chopper. Once again, Zack was thrown a little off that there was no resistance from either of these two.

Well, four years is a long time to be running. Maybe he finally gave up. Zack had questions that would be answered all in due time.

=================================================

Astrid winced and cursed aloud as a doctor checked over her hand just as Lilith walked in.

“Astrid, I heard what you did.” Lilith's voice was calm but Astrid knew the girl long enough to tell what her emotions were through her monotone voice.

She was pissed.

“You know how I get in a fight. And you know how I feel about the bastard. Yet you think I will restrain myself? Especially, when he draws his sword against me?” Lilith cast her eyes on the doctor.

“Leave us.” Without a word the man dropped what he was doing and quickly exited the room. Lilith walked up to Astrid and took her injured hand. “This is a different type of burn. It's the same type of burn he does when that symbol your mother gave him activates.” Lilith pressed on the injury and Astrid involuntarily screamed out and dropped to her knees. “This pain is to remind you of your failure and what you may have cost us. We needed Nero, here, uninjured. And I just learned that a Guardian now has a hold of him!" Lilith let go of Astrid's hand and swung the back of her hand against the girl's face. The force sent Astrid sprawling across the floor.

“That's enough!” Rebecca entered the room and was instantly at Astrid's side.

“Why do you even act like you are in the pursuit of revenge? It's not as if you are Ms. Eveyln's real children.” Rebecca looked at Lilith in shock. Lilith smiled. “I guess there was a line I just crossed. While we're on the subject Evelyn's true flesh and blood is on the way. She is to clean up the mess you made. I suggest you do all you can to prove yourself as an asset. She is not as lenient as I.” Lilith exited the room leaving Astrid and Rebecca in silence.

“I should have known that she knew.” Astrid said. “She's a seer after all.”

“It doesn't change anything. We are still the same people whether or not Evelyn was our mother. She raised us like we were her own. I know of no other mother but her. Rebecca helped Astrid to her feet. “So what are we going to do about Nero? Lilith said he was in Guardian custody. A Guardian is very powerful. They are what defeated Evelyn many years back.”

“We'll figure something out. I'll ask Amy if she has anything in mind since she lives on Earth.” Astrid suggested and her sister gave her a look of doubt.

“You really want to ask Amy? Why not anyone else on Earth?”

“Because Amy knows a lot more of Earth than any of our other contacts. Lilith thinks that she has everything under wraps because she's a seer. I'll let her think that a little longer before I set her straight. I'm not a bitch to be messed with.”

598465Uriko
The interrogation room, Nero found, was akin to those usually found in police stations. Hands still in cuffs, he faced Zack Yumari eye to eye.

A guard beside Zack passed him some documents, and he flipped through them with interest.

“You’ve been on the run long enough. There’s plenty of things I’d like to ask you about.” Zack started.

“Before that, shouldn’t you introduce yourself first?” Nero said.

Zack suppressed a smile. He was expecting this.

“I’m Zack Yumari, one of the key members of E.D.G.E.--Earth Dispatch Guardian Exigency. Our mission, basically, is to protect the people of this world from internal and external threats affect this realm. We were deployed in the last war you were in but according to records you and your group finished things up before we came in. All we did was place a barrier around that city for containment.”

So it was them. Nero thought, thinking back to that time when everyone was trying to flee the city and they slammed into an invisible wall.

“But anyway, that’s all I can tell you. I’d like to know what you’ve been up to for the last four years besides eluding capture. They said you are a hero for getting rid of Ergon’s main enemy but other witnesses have claimed that you have gotten rid of your own people as well. And while siding with Ergon, hence your incredibly high bounty.”

“I don’t really care how the people see me now. I can be a hero or villain in their eyes. it doesn’t matter. As for your first question, to put it simply, I became a farmer.” Nero stated as matter-of-fact.

“Really? I find it hard to believe that you had cut off all contacts with your former allies--or whoever was left of them--and went, undetected, to that small village we found you in. You couldn’t possibly have gotten back to Japan alone. Or with your wife, for that matter.”

“I cannot reveal their identities. I don’t trust you, Zack. You could harm them.” Nero said.

“For what reason? Elisa Rayne, herself, told me to keep an eye out for you.”

At the mention of Elisa’s name, Nero visibly jumped. The ex-principal of Ancora Institute, and more importantly his sister, was vital in securing Nero's and Ambeon's escape route away out of Europe. He did not expect her to ask someone to keep tabs on him.

And after I told her to leave us in peace…

“As for the issue of trust, well...I’d like you to see this.” Zack rolled up his left sleeve and showed it to Nero. On the bicep area was a blue cross-like symbol glowing faintly. “You have the same symbol on your right hand.”

“I don’t quite understand.”

“At every continent there are people known as Guardians, individuals with special abilities related to the light. Our duty is to protect this planet and the realm we reside in. The symbol of the cross means that you are one as well.”

“Woah, hold it right there." Nero called out. He was receiving too much sudden information. "Just having a symbol on my hand doesn’t mean that I am one of you. “

“Do you remember in your brief scuffle with Ms. Chainsaw? She was about to sever your windpipe. Your latent Guardian abilities awoke and protected you from death.”

Nero recalled back at that moment. The chainsaw had most certainly struck true. Yet he only came away with a minor wound.

“That was…“ His voice trailed away since he could offer no better explanation at the moment.

“You could pass it off as a miracle of God or a coincidence but we have been around long enough and found individuals with the same powers that I’ve mentioned just now. Protection is just one of its natural abilities. But there's something that bugs me.” Nero raised his eyebrows. "Guardian powers are known to be passed down from generation to generation." Zack seemed to be deep in thought for a moment but then quickly dismissed whatever idea was forming. "But we’ll touch on that topic another time. The main reason I’ve brought you here is for you to work with us.”

“What? Work with a bunch of people I barely know?” Nero scoffed. First he was a criminal and now he was to be working as Earth's special defense?

“Oh, you’ll be acquainted with us quickly. Some of us know you may know already.” Zack said, without elaborating.

“And why should I agree to your request?”

“I’m sure you want answers as to why those people attacked you after so long. We know they aren't bounty hunters, that's for sure. At E.D.G.E., here, we have a vast amount of resources in doing almost anything you need. We've been investigating into these kind of people for quite some time and we don’t know if they will assault our world again. And we need all the help we can get. With someone of your caliber, it’ll be a good boost.”

“In short, you are just making use of me.” Zack looked as if he were stung.

“You can put it that way if you want. But if you help us, we’ll help you. I'm on Guardian duties. I'm not a cop. The door is open for you to leave, however. Know that after the ruckus in the village I doubt there are any people who want to accept you. They’d sooner hand you in to the authorities. And you still do have a price on your head. But if you were to take up status as a Guardian then that would be annulled.”

Nero knew that what Zack said was true, even if the truth hurts.

Zack motioned for the guards to open the door and Nero rose to be escorted out but paused.

“I’ll see what you guys have for me in store. I will assist you, but on one condition.” Nero said.

“Name it.”

“Do not hurt Ambeon.”

Zack smiled and nodded.

“Then welcome to E.D.G.E.”

He extended his hand in a gesture of partnership but Nero just walked off. Looking at him, Zack thought to himself that he had finally gotten the man he wanted.

A knock on Zack's door once and Uriko let herself in. To her surprise, Zack was awake and staring out his window. He turned when she walked in.

"What do I owe this visit for?" Zack asked with a smile on his face. It had been a while since Uriko had seen Zack this energetic and figured it was because he finally had something to do.

"It's about what I showed you before. The death was ruled as being an assassination. Many believe that it is the same person or at least a relation to the series of murders that happened throughout Europe." Zack was nodding with a hand under his chin.

"Isn't Elisa in Europe?" Uriko nodded. "Maybe she knows about what's going on."

"That was my primary purpose for coming. She has requested our assistance...in England. She says that she might have the killer's location pinpointed and is asking for us to aid in the person's capture." Zack smiled.

"I hope you didn't turn her down."

"Of course not." Uriko said with a bit of irritation in her voice. Zack loved the fact that she was so easy to tease.

"Good. Get a hold of our dear friend, Nero, and let him know that we will be off in the morning. He's not very fond of me yet but i think with some time that may change. And I'm sure his sister will want to finally see him again."

"Do you need me to come as well? I can leave my post if need be." Zack though for a moment then shook his head.

"No need. Just tell my wife that i'll be flying over waters. I feel safe with her as my support over communications and I need you to look after things while I'm gone. Besides, i think two Guardians should be more than enough for a sociopath."

598914Elisa Rayne
The plane ride was pretty long. At least it was to Zack. He normally didn't travel outside of Japan.

The Guardians, as far as Zack knew, that were in Japan consisted of just himself and Nero. His sister, Lara, had died a very long time ago. His daughter, Akino, did once show signs of having abilities of Light but showed no signs of being a Guardian. She said she wanted nothing to do with it and just wanted to live a normal life anyway. After high school she immediately went to America to study abroad. Zack had no objections and neither did his wife, Xana. If he could keep his daughter away from the fighting then he would.

"We're here." Nero's voice cut through his thoughts. He hardly realized that the plane was now hovering over an airport. As Zack and the others exited their plane and entered the terminal they were greeted by Elisa and a crowd of reporters and onlookers. Elisa looked at Nero with a pretty intense glare but she didn't utter a word. Her mind was clearly occupied with other thoughts besides giving a warm welcome. Zack and his company made their way to Elisa who then started guiding them through the crowd and out of the terminal.

"Where did all these people come from?" Zack found himself shouting in order to be heard above the numerous people asking questions hoping that they would be the one to have a decent story to boost the ratings of whatever network they worked for.

"They knew of your coming. Just ignore them." Elisa answered.

"How was that?"

"I had to tell them something. Things are getting very tense here in Europe. Executives and politicians are being killed and everyone is afraid to take their place. Europe is becoming a war zone and no one wants anymore surprises added with the riots and the extremist carrying out terrorist acts." It was a lot easier navigating through the crowd than Zack thought and then he noticed the large amount of guards, all in black suits. It didn't take long until everyone was outside and in black SUV's. The back of the SUV contained seats that were facing towards each other which made it more convenient to speak to each other.

When the vehicles left for their destination Elisa continued. "Hello, Nero. It's been a while." Nero nodded. There was so much venom in her voice he was afraid it would burn through his skin. "I hope you understand why I gave out the information to your whereabouts. We need all the help we can muster."

"Is it important enough to try and bring me into this knowing what may happen." Nero asked looking towards his sister. Elisa held his stare.

"What happened back then is in the past. Right now we need to deal with this on going issue."

"This assassin?"

"Yes. But this is no ordinary assassin. To have killed this many important individuals and still be roaming free makes me think we are dealing with an individual with Gifts. And powerful ones at that."

"And what makes you think that?" Zack spoke up.

"She just suddenly shows up, kills her target and any of their guards near them, and disappears as quickly as they came. Some think it's a group of people but I highly doubt it. Plus i can sense them."

"Hold on, you said 'she'. You suspect the assassin is a woman?" Elisa nodded.

"She wears a hooded jacket and combat boots. Her legs are exposed. That's either a boy with very feminine legs or a female."

"So you know what she wears. What about her face?" Elisa shrugged and pulled out some pictures from a suitcase next to her seat. She handed the pictures to Zack and Nero. The pictures were blurry except one of the girl looking at something under the camera that snapped the shot. She had bangs that ended below her eyes and she wore a surgical mask as well.

"Well, that makes it difficult to tell too much about her identity huh? The hood over her head makes it hard to even tell if she has black or brunette hair as well." Zack murmured and then looked at Elisa with a serious expression. "You think you're a target." It was a statement. Elisa nodded her head. "That's why so many guards were around you when i came in."

"Why would you need guards?" Zack asked. "You can do more on your own than all of them combined."

"I am the daughter of the Queen in the Light Realm. I may be able to defend myself better than they can but what I don't have are extra pairs of eyes. They are a big help in scoping out potential threats. Most of the people murdered had dealings with other realms as well." Before another word could be uttered an explosion shook the vehicle. One of the escort vehicles ahead of them had been blown up.

598915Kanna
"Speed up. Now!" Elisa ordered her driver, who conveyed the message to the remaining escorts in front as the burning remains of the hit vehicle was passed. Alarmed, Nero and Zack looked outside, but it was no use.

"Its too late to save them. We have to reach our destination before-" Elisa was cut off again as another escort sedan exploded, then another, threatening to smash into their vehicle. But their driver expertly swerved through all the debris and emerged back in clean air, when the roof of their car was blown off.

Zack looked skywards to see an unidentified helicopter zeroing in on their location. With his eyes, he could see that its machine guns were at the ready. He quickly raised his arms and formed a barrier that encased the car just as the helicopter opened fire. Bullets hit the shield and bounced off harmlessly.

Nero looked around in the car for something to use when Elisa passed him a rifle. Nodding, he rose to the roof of the vehicle, took aim at the cockpit, and fired off three shots in succession. The shots didn't bring the helicopter down but they did damage enough for it to back off and having also lost the man that was at the guns. Nero held up the rifle for a while longer scanning the area for any more threats before Elisa motioned that it was safe to come down.

"That was a close one. Thanks, both of you."

"Is that a regular occurrence?" Zack asked.

"Not really. I suspect that was a militia. The extremist I mentioned earlier." Elisa answered.

"A militia with a helicopter?" Zack asked in disbelief. "Must be very well funded. So was that your assassin or the group she works with?" Elisa shrugged. And the rest of the ride was sat in anxious silence.

When the vehicle reached Elisa's home Zack chuckled.

"What?" Elisa asked wanting to know what he found amusing at a crucial time.

"You have the same taste in mansions as your parents. Just brought back memories is all." The men in the other escort vehicles that were left got out and started positioning themselves around the mansion with others that were already on guard. "You would figure with this many people guarding your place you'd feel safe."

"I'm sure that's what the others thought too." The doors to the house opened and Keytara was standing in the entrance.

"Welcome back. I heard about what happened. Are all of you alright?" There was a sense of panic mixed with worry in her eyes.

"Of course they are. Not a scratch on them from what I can see." The voice came from another girl that was leaning over the second floor balcony. She held a very close resemblance to Keytara. The same caramel colored skin and framed glasses covering her bright blue eyes. The only main difference was that the girl was obviously younger and had two lower lip piercings. Nero's eyes grew as he recognized the girl to be Kani.

Elisa turned to Keytara. "Who is that?" Keytara quickly bowed in apology.

"I'm sorry but after what I heard happen to you and your men I sent word to my sisters. There aren't very many Gifted that would protect you now so I figured you need all the help you can get." Elisa let out a sigh then stopped.

"Where is your third sister? The oldest?"

"She's doing rounds around the house." Keytara replied. "She checking for possible entrances, exits, escape routes, blah, blah. You know how she is. She's the calculative type." Keytara moved behind the group to push them in the house and shut the doors. "Now come on. A dinner has already been prepared and you must all eat to regain the energy you've probably lost on the way here." Keytara looked at Nero as if she saw him for the first time before registering who the girl was looking at. "Oh, Nero! What a pleasant surprise. I've been worried about you for the longest time." She quickly gave him a hug.

"Worried?" Nero asked.

"Of course. You disappeared along with Ella and Lilliane and the other girl you seemed to know-"

"Ambeon."

"Yes, Ambeon. If they found you then maybe they found the others?" Nero shook his head.

"As far as I know it's only been just me and Ambeon that have finally come back into the open." Keytara seemed to be deep in thought but then quickly shook herself out of it and resumed her standard smile.

"Well, like I said, dinner is prepared. We can discuss everything at the table while we eat." Keytara turned towards her sister on the second floor balcony. "Can you get Kanna and let her know it's time to eat?" Without a word her sister disappeared in search of her sister.

"So you are Keytara," Zack started as everyone sat down at the table. "a former royal guard. Your eldest sister is Kanna, who is also in possession one of one of the rare weapons infused with elemental power." Keytara nodded. "And your youngest sister is Kani. Who was a ninja?"

"Is." Kanna corrected as she entered the dining room with her sister. Yet another look alike of the other two. She looked the most mature of the two as she were in her late twenties to early thirties. But one feature stood out. Her eyes were completely black except for the glow-like purple iris. Zack automatically considered her to be intimidating from that feature alone.

"I'd greatly appreciate if the guest could cease their staring." Kanna said and Zack noticed that he wasn't the only one captivated by her eyes. He figured that was why her bangs was as long as it was. It partially covered her face including her right eye.

"She's sensitive about her eyes." Kani spoke up. "Although I don't know why. I wish my eyes were like that. They are so cool!"

"So I hear you have one of the legendary weapons." Nero changed the subject. Kanna nodded as she and her sister took their place at the table. "Would it be too much if I asked what kind of weapon is it?"

"It's a short double edged sword. It's purely designed to act more like a wand than a melee weapon." Kanna answered uninterested. Nero could guess that she had given this explanation more than a dozen times.

"Then why a sword instead of a wand?" Kanna shrugged. Zack noticed that shrugging must have been taken on as an international gesture and everyone was in on doing it.

"I didn't make it. But if I had to guess then it is probably because it channels quite a bit of power. For example, the sword can channel a lightning bolt, no matter the size, and send it wherever i want. I can hold the bolt's charge in my sword for a long period as well and I will not be harmed during the entire process. I don't think a wand can handle that kind of force."

Zack spoke up again. "If your blade is mainly used for magic then do you fight with it? I find it hard to fight anyone with even an average sized sword."

"I also wield a lance." Nero's eyebrow rose.

"You wield a lance and a sword? At the same time?" Kanna nodded to both questions.

"She's had tons of practice." Kani cut in. "She doesn't lose fights, even at close range, because no one knows how to fight against a style like that."

600610Lilliane
“Then in that case, I must be considered old fashioned.” Nero said, materializing, his sword and Keytara’s eyes widened.

“Is that your sword? It looks totally different from before!” She exclaimed

“Simply put, my previous weapon was destroyed and reforged. But I cannot come up with an explanation for their current appearance.”

Nero noticed Zack looking at the blade, which was crystalline blue.

“Something on your mind?”

“Hmm…its nothing. I just feel I have seen that design before somewhere. Anyway, let’s eat.”

As night approached Elisa suggested that everyone get some sleep and that they would continue their discussion in the morning on what to do about the terrorist. Everyone was given their own room except the sisters who insisted they share a room.

Zack didn't know about the others but he felt restless. He was in dangerous territory. The attack earlier made Zack realize that and he did not feel safe. He was not in Japan anymore. Everything was unfamiliar here. Zack wondered if the others felt the same way.

After about an hour of tossing and turning in his bed, Zack, finally sat up and ran his fingers through his hair in frustration.

"I need some air." Zack muttered to himself. He exited the room and looked around while listening. The wasn't a sound and the lights down the long hall were dimmed, clashing with the moonlight seeping through the window at the end of the hall. Zack stepped out of his room and quietly made his way towards the stairs that led down to the first floor. No one was up. The house was quiet and if Zack didn't know better he'd think it empty.

The back door led to a large open property of neatly trimmed grass. There were various paths lined with bushes. Zack just took one and started walking. There wasn't a cloud in the sky and they weren't that close to any cities so the stars stood out. At least more than they did in Tokyo. The moon was also full and seemed closer than normal as if it would collide with Earth.

Zack felt like he would find it easier to sleep out in the open air than in the large house. It was early summer so the weather was good and the slight breezes here and there made an even more relaxed atmosphere. As Zack looked around something finally dawned on him. He thought this mansion was lined with guards. In fact, he knew it was. He saw them. Unless the guards all got to sleep at the same time or were positioned at a wider radius than Zack thought. But he wouldn't know where since the land was flat and stretched on for a while before reaching the large standing shrubs that lined the property.

"Don't move." A voice from behind him whispered and Zack could feel something press into his back. He raised his hands in the air slowly. "On your knees." Zack did as he was told and started turning to look at his captor. "Stay facing forward."

"Miss assassin." Zack said.

"Don't speak." The girl ordered. "You don't have to die tonight if you follow instructions. Don't act rash. Don't try to be a hero. Don't do anything stupid."

"Why am I being spared?" Zack asked and felt a blow to the back of his head that sent him sprawling.

"I just said don't speak. That includes questions." Zack stood up. "Hey!"

"Then you must not know exactly what I am because if you did then you would have killed me when you had the chance." Zack turned around to face the girl and she immediately fired. The bullet from the silenced pistol ricocheted from an invisible barrier. She lowered her gun after seeing that it'd be no use.

"I see. So you are the Guardian. I'm guessing the other one is inside as well?" Zack's eyebrow arched. How would she know about Nero? Before Zack could react he sank into the ground as if it had turned to thick mud. When only his shoulders and head were above ground it solidified again. "Neither you, nor your Guardian allies are welcomed here." Before Zack could utter another word he sank all the way into the ground and the assassin made for the mansion.

Like Zack, Nero, himself, was unable to fully rest. Being back in Europe after so long, despite having lived there, the land which he had fought crucial battles in felt out of place.

He gazed out of the window at the moon in the sky. That and the yard below made him think back to an identical view he got when he had stayed at Ergon's castle and also the terrible memory of him brutally killing the people that only wanted to protect the city. Although that had been attributed to the Mark of Ergon's powers, Nero still shivered at the thought.

Now he was alone again. He had insisted that Ambeon remain behind in Japan for her own safety, not wanting her to get caught up in his shenanigans again. Yet without her, he felt a void within his heart. Reaching inside his shirt, he took out the pendant that his wife gave him before his departure. Inside was a photo of her, smiling wide like sunshine. Looking at it provided him with some comfort.

His thoughts were disturbed when Nero detected a disturbance within his room. Looking around, he did not see anything but he knew, otherwise, than not to trust his senses. He went back on his bed, and pretended to lie down and sleep.

The shadow emerged from the ground, gun in hand. It rose over Nero and aimed at his head. At this range, it would be a sure kill. Her hand pulled the trigger -

BAM!

And Nero was gone, much to her surprise. The next moment, she felt a surge of pain on her wrist as Nero disarmed the girl and forced her to drop the gun. But the assassin twisted away before Nero could do anything else and spat a cloud of black smoke in his face. However, Nero, familiar with such distraction techniques and turned away to sweep his right leg across, catching her.

The assassin was more agile than he thought as she recovered and flipped away. She clenched her left fist and a hidden blade sprung out. Rapidly she lashed out at Nero who did all he could to dodge. Seizing the moment, he concentrated on materializing his sword. He had practiced at it quite a bit but doing it in the midst of combat was a much different experience. It barely shaped in Nero's hands before he met the oncoming blade in time and managed to snap it, causing the assassin to gasp in surprise. She double kicked his chest, causing him to fall back.

For a moment, they stared at each other in silence.

“Why do you want to kill me?” Nero asked.

The assassin kept silent before sinking into the shadows. With lightning speed, she rose back out just in front of Nero and had her hands around his neck before he couldreact. He dropped his sword as he struggled to get the vice like grip off him.

He couldn’t call for help in this situation. The assassin’s strength was, surprisingly, too great for him to handle. His vision started to flash and black spots appeared in his sight. Just as he thought he was going to lose the fight, Nero tucked his legs from underneath him and lashed out, dislodging the assassin.

He picked up her pistol and fired swiftly, as the assassin grunted, confirming the hit. She was about to make yet another attack, when Zack burst in and tackled her.

601441Qian Lin
The Chinese police had recently just secured a heist. There were a group of people, that were suspected of acting with the radical extremist and participating in terrorist plots that have been going on around the world, recently, and the police have been tracking suspects for a while. What was unusual is that they were already rounded up when the police got there. They were only informed of the location and to come quickly.

"What do you make of this?" One of the policemen asked another. "You think we have a super hero among us?" The other guy scratched his head in confusion.

"Hard telling. All we can do is just wait for their stories and try to make sense of what happened."

"But does it really matter? This is a pretty big haul. They're terrorists and they're caught. We were the ones called in."

Soon the sound of sirens could be heard and an unmarked cruiser pulled up. Two women stepped out and approached the two officers.

"Where are they?" The taller woman asked. She had the look of someone that didn't mess around. The men there guessed that words like sarcasm and humor probably didn't exist in her vocabulary. They noticed a pistol gripped shotgun holstered across the base of her back just below her long raven colored hair. She wore an all black outfit but even then didn't look anything like any officers the two guys had seen before. Even less to the shorter girl that accompanied the first woman.

The second girl wore an outfit similar to the first except with a little more flair. Her outfit was adorned with multiple belt buckles with a medium length skirt. She also wore a choker and had medium cropped hair. Any exposed arms or legs were covered with fishnets. Her most standout feature were her, almost, glowing purple eyes.

"Are you the only people headquarters sent? I figured there'd be more backup for something so important. Hell, are you even cops?" One of the men said looking the girls over. The older woman stayed silent then slowly turned her head to look him in the eyes and pulled out a badge from a small pack attached to her belt. She gave him a once over and her eyes rested on his badge before speaking.

"I hope this will suffice...Calheim? Where are the criminals?" Her voice remained monotone as she showed him her badge. The shorter girl was wearing a badge around her neck that was scaled to fit the fashion she wore. It was hardly noticeable unless it was looked for. One of the officers pointed inside the building and the woman headed for the door as the younger girl came up to him with a device.

"We'll take it from here. We will check the suspects and will grade them according to their crime." One of the men raised an eyebrow.

"You just expect us to leave? This isn't exactly a small time operatio-" There was a gunshot and the two cops were already reaching for their weapons when the girl stopped him. "What the hell was that?" One of them asked.

"This is how we do things. Don't worry. You'll still get credit for the capture of these individuals." It wasn't enough. Something was wrong and the two men knew it. One of them ran inside to see the woman holding a handgun to a man's head and another device in her other hand. The others immediately started begging to be spared upon seeing the man.

"What's going on? These men are disarmed! There is no need to shoot anyone here-"

"I would appreciate if you do not tell me how to conduct business, cop.” The woman said, flatly. “You clearly forget who has authority here so I'd suggest you take your orders properly and without issue." The man she had the gun pointed to could be heard whispering silently to himself. Most likely praying. The woman said something to the girl running in after the cop in a different language. The girl then took hold of the policeman's arm.

"It's in your best interest if you come back outside with me." He let the girl escort him back outside, too shocked to protest. Before either of the officers could say a word the girl held up her finger. "Look, I know this looks bad but we know what we are doing. There are people in there that have committed atrocities and have gone unpunished. The courts would have them thrown in jail and with how no one knows who is Gifted anymore that person may actually live long enough to be released if they do not break out first."

"So you take it upon yourselves to judge them?" The girl nodded. She showed them her wrist. there was a marking looking like a cross on it.

"It is our duty to judge them." She answered.

Last edited:
604354Kyung-Ah
The two policemen looked at the symbol on her wrist.

"So you're an actual Guardian in the flesh." One of them said with awe in his voice. "So your judging these people based on crimes they have committed?" he asked.

"Yep, past atrocities or crimes committed. At least the ones recorded." The younger girl responded.

A few more squad cars pulled up just as the taller woman exited the building. The younger girl turned to a man that walked up to her and saluted.

"Well, shit. It looks like we got here too late." The man put her thumb and forefinger to the bridge of his nose and closed his eyes. "Well, how many did Kyung-ah take out this time?" As if on queue the woman walked up to answer.

"Only two fatalities were the result of this case." She answered, her voice not wavering.

"Only two?" The officer sighed and turned back to the girl. "Qian Lin, I told you to keep your partner on a leash. These acts of violence towards captured criminals does not put the police force in a positive light."

"Who cares what kind of light the police force is in?" The girl, Qian, answered. "Crime has significantly dropped since we were given your cases. We are only helping you because we want to. And believe it or not, you need us. I even went through the trouble of capturing this group on my off hours and on my own before I called anyone else. I’m committed to cleaning criminals off the streets but I don’t feel that same motivation from your men." The officer nodded and stole a glance at the other two officers.

"You two are dismissed." The two officers left quickly and the sergeant turned back to the two girls. "So what now?"

"We are starting an investigation of our own that might actually be within direct Guardian interest. If you would excuse us we have a trail to follow." Qian started walking towards their car with the woman, Kyung-ah, directly behind her. Qian stopped and turned towards the officer.

"Just remember, Sergeant. You need us. Not the other way around. You'll come to appreciate our efforts in the future." Kyung-ah had already started the car and was waiting inside patiently. "We have other matters to attend to. We'll confirm everything in your report so you don't have any of their blood on your hands." With that Qian closed the door and the car sped off.

Qian brought out a device and a holographic display screen appeared. "So they were here, starting, two months ago but there were only three of them to then. The number grew rapidly but none of them possessed any abilities. I think that's all of them for this particular area."

Qian continued, knowing that she wouldn't get a reaction out of Kyung but she was listening. "North-East, South, and North-West. I followed the one south but he lost me through a small alley in the city of Kyun-Zah." Qian entered coupled more commands on the small machine and frowned. "No abnormal readings here either."

After an hour and a half drive they arrived at their initial destination and the nearby ruins of the city. As the girls walked up to a large crumbling skyscraper they noticed something scrawled across the building. It was painted over and illegible but still noticeably there. The two decided to ignore the paint and stepped through where the front doors used to be. There seemed to be signs of recent activity though how recent was unclear. The entire floor looked as if a party was thrown and ended with a wrecking ball smashing the place.

Qian almost tripped over a pile of debris. "Is this the right place? The one with signs of activity?"

Kyung-ah rummaged through a nearby large desk, "No, This is what happens when you don't return for over four years." She finally replied. “The dust is many layers, thick. And nothing seems to have been moved since this place went into ruin.”

Qian looked at Kyung and walked into a nearby room. As she entered she saw a large table with papers and maps strewn around the floor all of them weathered and old.

Qian quickly called out. "I found a map of the area and it has a destination on it. It looks like it will lead us to some type of ruins." Qian scanned the map with her device and looked at Kyung-Ah entering the room. "The dust on this item isn’t as old as the papers and other objects we’ve seen earlier. It’s still old but has been placed down after the building became abandoned.”

“Well, then, let's get going." Kyung-Ah replied in a determined voice.

604745Astrid
The area was deserted. China was hit pretty hard in what was called the Underground Civil War. It was much like gang wars of the Mafia. They were behind closed curtains but with the rise of the Gifted the collateral damage escalated. Another reason why there's a tight leash on them. It's not too hard to see why. Entire cities have fallen because of their uncontrolled power.

Kyung-ah stopped the car and got out to look around.

"So this is the place?" Qian asked as she exited the vehicle with her device and began scanning the area. "We're looking for an underground area according to that map. I don't exactly see anything but another big building, similar to the last one we were in, though."

"The dig site is under that building." Kyung-ah replied quickly.

"Oh.” Qian mentally kicked herself for not thinking of the most obvious route. “I guess I could have guessed that. I suppose it goes without saying to be on your guard. The scanner is picking up very recent footprints leading in."

When they got inside it was easy to tell a source of light would be needed. There was no power and even though it the sun was high in the sky it failed to penetrate the darkness inside the building. The halls that led deeper into the building it were pitch black. The windows were covered with grime and dust that kept sunlight from coming in. Qian un-shouldered the backpack she got from their car and took out a tactical flashlight.

"It's pitch black and there’s a lot of ground to cover." Qian said as she started to hand her partner the light but Kyung merely pushed it back.

"Then it seems like you're just gonna have to stick close.” Kyung-ah stated in her usual monotone voice. “I believe my eyes can make out more details in the dark than yours. And besides, you need to be the one to lead us. You are the one that looked over the map of the property."

Qian took out her small device again and a floor plan appeared on the holographic screen. "Yeah. Well, first it's to the stairs. We go a couple of levels. Then we'll be at the entrance to the underground site."

When the two stepped out of stairwell and onto the first underground level it was like walking into a different kind of area. They were in a large room on a balcony overlooking a pool. In the center of the pool was a raised floor with a large door in the center. Qian was about to confirm that this was the place when they heard voices. They immediately turned off their flashlights and pinpointed where the voices were coming from.

They came from the floor below. Soon three people stepped into view talking among themselves but their voices were easily heard even in the expansive room.

"I didn't know that half of China was in ruins." There were three women and one male. The first voice was one of the females.

"You should do your homework, Astrid. China has been in this state for quite some time."

"And this is where ground zero is supposed to be?" Astrid asked her sister.

"According to our resources."

"Well, then what are we waiting for?"

"We can't go opening the door to our lost treasure with people that would try and steal it from us." Neither Kyung-Ah nor Qian noticed the raven perched on the balcony silently staring at them. Then it suddenly let out a rumble that echoed in the room. The man that walked in with Astrid and Rebecca was gone. Before anyone could even look around he was already leaning against the wall next to the door they came in.

"I do believe you are all lost." Astrid leaped from the lower floor to the balcony area.

"We can't have any witnesses." She stated while placing her hand to her chainsaw blade strapped to her waist.

"I rather not make this a blood bath, Astrid. Getting blood out of clothes is near impossible and with your weapon..." Sid pointed out.

"Fine," Astrid reached for something on her back and pulled out a handgun. "this should do the trick shouldn't it?" Before she could do anything further Qian thrust her palm at Astrid and an invisible force knocked her off balance. When she recovered Kyung-ah had her shotgun against Astrid's chest and pulled the trigger. The force knocked her through the glass banister, almost into the raven, and into the pool below. The raven shrieked it's disapproval while it took flight and flew down to its master, Rebecca.

Qian was already on the man. She kneed him in his stomach and he doubled over. The girl then pulled his head back by his hair and placed a hand on his forehead. Immediately, a bright white light seem to light up within his head and shot out through his eyes, ears, nose, and mouth as he screamed in pain. Qian then dropped him and he didn't move.

"We have to call for backup." Kyung-ah called.

"Call for backup? Two out of three of them are down!" Qian said back.

"You don't understand. This is much bigger than you think. We only put those two down for a short while. You have to trust me. We cannot do this alone. Not against these particular people." As if on queue Astrid was back on the balcony level again, dripping wet, but this time her preferred weapon was in hand. If she took any damage from the shotgun blast neither of the girls could see it.

"Thanks for letting me do this my way. I promise your deaths will be slow and painful." Astrid said as blades that lined the edge of the sword came to life.

605156Lilith
Qian fired a ball of light and it seemed to fall short and fade out when it hit the ground in front of Astrid.

Astrid gave off a sneer. "Nice aim."

Then as she took a step to approach, the ground underneath her crumbled and gave away, taking her with it.

"Run!" Qian called out.

As they both cleared the second set of stairs to the ground floor of the building they almost ran into four troopers guarding the area. They must have been summoned due to the commotion since the duo missed them on the way in.

Qian slid into a spin and slammed her elbow into the closest trooper's back just as he noticed the quickly approaching footsteps. A bright pierced through him and blinded the others. Followed by several shotgun shots clearing the last three the enemy was put down quickly. The duo out of the building and ran into another set of guards. These seemed different due to the weapons they wielded. One with a broadsword, another wielded two pistols, the third had an electrical charged mace, and the last was wearing brass knuckles.

Qian quickly went to deal with them but Kyung-Ah beat her to it, knocking the pistol wielder aside with a heavy punch, before any of them could react, but she was quickly overwhelmed by the other three. Qian rushed to her aid dealing with the broadsword wielding trooper with several blows to his shoulder and chest which caused him to collapse in pain. Kyung-ah opened fire on the last two pelting them with rounds that exploded on contact. They slowly turned to run but were taken down by several rounds from Qian's own handgun.

As the last man hit the ground the two girls heard a large noise from within the darkness of the building. Recognizing the danger the duo ran at full speed towards their car. As they reached it they saw Astrid appear at the entrance of the building. They quickly jumped into the car and drove off leaving their pursuer behind.

Lilith saw what had happened and was thoroughly disappointed with Astrid and whoever else the trespassers took out. She turned to Amy.

"Amy, now is the time to prove yourself useful. Track down that car and kill the people inside. It doesn't matter how you do it since Gifted populate this area. They won’t be able to track us so you don't need to hold back." Amy nodded as she got back inside one of the two vehicles that brought them to the ruins. She yelled at the driver to step on it and the vehicle sped off. Lilith sighed as Astrid approached.

"So much for the guards you lent us. They proved to be about as useless as a pile of rocks." Astrid said as Rebecca stepped out of the building.

"All that matters is that we drove out those two before they access those ruins.” Rebecca said, following behind her sister. “We can’t afford for anyone else to catch wind of our plan. But they know of the location. Finding the humans that just left should be immediate priority."

"I've already sent Amy after them.” Lilith replied. “She should be able to handle a few humans. And after we are done here I want that underground area blown up. Level the whole building if you have to." Astrid's eyes widened and she grabbed Lilith by her shoulders.

"Wait, you did what? At least one of them is a Guardian! Not to mention one of them either has another elemental weapon or--worst case scenario--has elemental abilities. You're supposed to be a Seer but you couldn't even tell who they were?" Lilith glared at Astrid and slapped her hands away.

"I already told you that Guardians obscure my vision. If you're so worried about her then you should chase after her yourself. But I must remind you that you are being watched." Astrid huffed and made for another vehicle they arrived in. Rebecca was going to follow but was stopped by Lilith. "I hope you don't intend to follow. We have more important matters at hand." Rebecca didn't even turn to face Lilith.

"I don't know why you put on a facade. It may work with Astrid but unlike her I can read others. You are in the same position as us. You are scared of what Evelyn's heir will do when she arrives. We know that once she arrives then everything will change. So you may keep living in fear of trying to impress others. If you knew anything about Evelyn then you would understand that she doesn't like any detail unchecked. And this has the potential to be a major unchecked detail. It wouldn't look good to the people watching if we just sat on our hands and did nothing." Rebecca followed her sister leaving Lilith dumbstruck. She wasn't used to being talked back to.

She wanted to strike down Rebecca, teach her some manners, but somewhere she could feel that raven's beady eyes staring at her. If it was true that one of those women had an elemental weapon and it was in Guardian hands then things might get difficult. An elemental weapon was the only thing that could shatter force fields and barriers where regular weapons either proved useless are somewhere near that category. But they were extremely difficult to produce. Something about condensing power similar to the Gifted, into a weapon to fire at a focused point. If Astrid wasn’t as powerful as she was, then Rebecca would be down a sister.

A beeping noise sounded from inside the vehicle her company arrived in. Lilith walked over to the SUV and picked up her cellphone.

"You're contacting me by phone?" A smooth yet demanding man's voice answered.

"Don’t worry. I’ve secured us a private connection. And it became increasingly difficult to contact you since you left Japan, Lilith."

"I have business to attend to here and personally oversee."

"Far be it from me to distract you from your duties but as you know the assassination that took place in Japan matched the ones that happened in Europe. So of course my people, the Resistance, are quite shaken. It would be in your best interest to keep anymore of your people to be taken out." Lilith rubbed at her temple with the fingers of her free hand. She didn't even want to think about the assassin issue. That was a problem that would take much effort and time to even get a lead on, much less resolve.

"All I know is that whoever is doing it most likely knows what is going on. Believe me when I say I'd love to get rid of whoever is doing it but they leave no trace of themselves."

"Which is why I have a plan. I have the location of what could be a very valuable ally. What she could do for us would easily trump this assassin that everyone is spooked about. If we're lucky we may even kill the assassin in the process." Lilith's interest was peaked and the man on the other line continued. "We have a witch in our sights and seems to show no loyalty to the humans. And what makes this easier is that she's a friend of your lovely Amy. Have Amy bring the witch to me and I can make a lot of your problems disappear. Maybe even take care of loose ends on your end with the name, Nero?"

"No!" Lilith quickly regained her composure. "Nero is in Guardian hands and you know that. I have my own plans for him so you don't have to worry. Good luck with your group and keep from doing anything rash until I get back." Lilith hung up and tossed the phone back into the vehicle. There was much to get done in such a short amount of time. Lilith knew that everything had to be perfect by the time Evelyn's heir arrived. All that needed to be done was to focus on one thing at a time. Lilith wanted to hope that Amy and the two sisters could take care of the three people that ran from the site but it seemed like a risk. But at least they were keeping the enemy away from what was important. That was why she was here after all.

Lilith approached the building with a smirk on her face. If this lead was solid, then, one way or the other all of her problems were going to be taken care of and out of the way.

2012WebCover.jpgAmy
As the duo drove away at high speeds, they noticed that the enemy car was gaining on them. It was almost in small arms weapons range when Qian saw a hand stick out of the passenger side window.

"Swerve to the right!"

As she yelled Kyung quickly spun the wheel to the right making a quick swerve. A moment later a large fireball exploded where the car just was. Then, as if the fire was alive, it reached out and grabbed the back, left, tire. There was a loud popping sound as the tire melted and blew out.

Kyung quickly maneuvered the car to stop and the two jumped out of the car,quickly, prepared to fight. The approaching car slid to a stop with three men and a dark haired, petite, woman stepping out of the car.

Qian quickly noticed that the woman seemed to be in command and also noted that she was the only one without a firearm.

"Just surrender, already.” The raven haired girl shouted to the duo. “You're outnumbered and it's hot!" The girl started to fan herself with her hand.

As Qian was about to reply she heard gunfire come from where Kyung-ah got out of the car. The pursuers immediately took cover behind their vehicle. Before the others could return fire Qian felt everything slow down to a crawl. She could see the bullets moving slowly and easily stepped out of their path. Despite everything going on she was extremely calm as if her life wasn't in immediate danger.

Then Qian noticed a fireball flying towards her in slow motion and dodged it before running towards the other girl. Qian quickly chopped the back of her neck and time sped up again. The petite girl fell to the ground with a loud thud. The Guardian looked over and noticed the soldiers had been wiped out through a barrage of shotgun rounds. Not even the vehicle doors stood a chance against Kyung’s weapon.

Qian quickly moved the girl into the back of the car the enemy had arrived in. As she did Kyung-ah walked over. "Why are you moving her to safety?" She asked.

"I don't think she's chasing because she wants to." Qian replied. "More like she's here because they wanted her here. I can tell by their look, if they truly believe for what they fight in. She doesn’t share it. Much like a war there are people caught in the middle and forced to choose a side."

1957707_769413316429630_2889751181808861672_o.jpgLilliane
"Don't move." Zack ordered. He noticed the bullet wound on her shoulder and was glad that the gunshot he heard wasn't fatal to anyone. The assassin suddenly became still and for a moment Zack thought she either died or was playing a trick. But then he noticed the rise and fall of her chest. Before Zack could say anything else Elisa burst into the room with the three sisters right behind her.

"That is enough!" Zack looked at Elisa in disbelief.

"Isn't this the assassin that you were worried about? The one that has been killing off political figures?" Elisa rushed to the aid of the intruder.

"Of course not! And she is also my responsibility. I would greatly appreciate it if you would unhand her." Zack and Nero stood dazed as if they were the ones shot. Either Elisa was crazy or she had to be under some kind of mind control. The assassin suddenly disappeared in a form of thin black smoke and then reappeared behind Elisa. Nero stepped forward but Elisa put an arm in front of the assassin for protection.

"You mind letting us in on any of those secrets you’re keeping to yourself?" He asked. It was obvious at how Elisa he looked at him now that she was not the same woman that he knew several years ago. "You invite us down here to simply kill us?" Elisa shook her head and held up her hands in defense.

"This is a misunderstanding. She only knows of the stories she's heard about the Guardians. She doesn't exactly like your kind." Elisa looked from Zack to Nero. "I didn’t tell her exactly who I was inviting and I meant to talk to you about what was going on later. Meet me down stairs. There is much to discuss since everything is now, out in the open." Elisa and the female assassin left the room leaving Zack, Nero, and the three sisters wondering what the commotion was.

"Did any of you know about this?" Zack asked pointing at Elisa walking down the hallway with the girl and the three sisters simultaneously shook their heads.

Zack and the others were soon down stairs to find Elisa and the girl waiting. They were sitting at one end of a large coffee table. Everyone else took their seats silently before Elisa spoke.

“Before I begin, I guess, I should allow my daughter to introduce herself.” Elisa turned to the girl and asked her to remove her hood. The girl did so but her hair still covered her eyes. She then reached into her, hooded jacket,pocket and pulled out a rubber band and tied her bangs back. Keytara gasped and Nero looked on in disbelief.

“My name is Lilliane.” The girl said. “And I’m sorry for attacking you both. I'm especially sorry to Nero. I didn't think it was actually you since there was no trace since the events several years ago.”

It was said that Lilliane was missing and later pronounced as one of the many dead at the Ergon incident four years back. Faith told everyone that Lilliane had defected to Ergon and had killed her before joining up with the others to take down Ergon’s leader, Evelyn. Or at least that's what everyone was told.

“I’m sure Keytara and Nero remember Lilliane.” Elisa said.

“You say Lilliane is your daughter.” Nero said slowly while processing the sudden urge of information and Elisa nodded her head.

“Not by blood but I took her in following the Ergon incident. She was an orphan, like Faith, and had nowhere to go and no one to turn to after the events. You see, Lilliane is actually a mage and is the only known one left, here, in this realm. Evelyn and her people were the only ones to find out and thus promised to train her to utilize her powers to their full potential. Lilliane knows how rare mages are and that it is impossible to find anyone that can train her here on Earth because there hasn't been a recorded mage in centuries. Of course she confronted Faith and they fought for their beliefs. That is what war is. Lilliane was killed but as we all know Faith is a vampire. Faith probably couldn’t live with the guilt of killing her childhood friend so she used her venom to bring Lilliane back.” Elisa pause as Lilliane handed her mother a cup of coffee. Elisa took a sip before placing it on the saucer Lilliane put on the table. She then continued.

“Faith brought Lilliane to me and asked if I would take care of the poor girl. I agreed of course. I had to raise Lilliane in secret and teach her to use her abilities. Lilliane is a quick learner and was soon mastering her abilities on her own.”

“And what about making her the assassin that everyone fears?” Zack asked. Elisa stood and started pacing.

“The fight against Ergon didn’t wipe them out. Actually, a great deal of them escaped. Guess where they escaped to?” Zack knew it was a rhetorical question. And he knew what the answer was, as sickening as it was. He also had an idea what Elisa was going to say next. “When you last walked down the sidewalk did you take a moment to think about who you were passing? We can’t even tell who is Gifted and who isn’t just by looking at them. The thing is Ergon wasn’t the only place that was invading Earth Realm. We know that the Void Realm has been having rifts open on Earth. They know what Earth is and they know how to take it over. They have done this method for other places as well. But by the time that world realizes, it is too late. Luckily, for us we have someone that can point out who is who just by looking at them.” Elisa sat back in her seat and nodded her head towards Lilliane to continue.

“I can see auras.” Lilliane glanced at Nero. “Just like you can. But I don’t get blocked out. Back then there was a girl named Rebecca that was able her hide her aura quite well. Even you couldn’t sense who she was but after I learned of this ability I could easily see who and what she was. I told Elisa and Faith that when I saw the news on with political figure heads having debates I could tell that they were not human. In fact, the auras held nothing but darkness and the intent to destroy. It turned out that my sight was right on when Elisa invited one of them over for an interview. It was then we realized that all this time while we were worrying about the Void realm invading, they already had and were planting seeds. We can’t just let them take over so Elisa had me get rid of some of them. No one knew I existed and I could never be caught.” Zack scoffed and Lilliane put a hand to her shoulder which was already bandaged. “At least until now. I just kind of panicked and attacked without looking at what kind of auro you had. People with abilities were, all of a sudden, on the property. All I see is a man walking around just when the guards are exchanging.”

“So you can’t see auras all the time?” Nero asked and Lilliane shook her head with a slight smile.

“Goodness, no. If I could I’d have headaches all the time due to the variety of colors. I’d feel like I was in a twenty-for/seven rave party. I have to concentrate in order to see auras.” Zack thought for a moment.

“So what did you need us to come out here for? Seems like you already have plans going on in that brain of yours.” He said looking at Elisa.

“We need to gather the Guardians and tell them what is going on. Right now, no one has a clue besides us and Faith and even she can’t do anything without solid evidence. And we can’t say nor do anything ourselves because we don’t know how far the Void Realm’s seeds have been planted here. All Lilliane has done was slow down their progression and put them on edge. They still don’t know if their plan is being foiled or if Lilliane is just a terrorist.”

“And if you convince them there is something up?” Zack asked.

“Give Earth Realm the protection it needs and the strength to fight. Even if they don’t offer their immediate support I need you to, at least, tell the other Guardians so they can know what’s going on and to be on the lookout. I need you to do this as soon as possible and I need you to take Lilliane, Kani, and Kanna with you.”

Screenshot_2019-09-12 Mercy Necromancy on Instagram “hi sorry i haven’t posted for a few weeks...pngEvelyn
“How do I know if I can trust you after what just happened?” Zack stated matter-of-factually.

“Do or don’t. Your opinion of me won’t hinder my resolve. There is a threat and I will see to it with, or without, your help.” Elisa replied.

There was a brief silence before Zack nodded and Elisa made to leave.

“There are things I must attend to. I suggest you all catch up and leave no more surprises a secret.”

The sisters left the room first and returned to their quarters as Nero glanced at Lilliane before her step-mother disappeared down the hall.

“In the space of a few days I keep getting invited to reunion parties." Nero broke the awkward silence. "This is not what I had expected.”

“Once our fates, seem, bound together. But now this world is in much greater danger than before. Surely, you sense it if not seen it.” Lilliane said.

“You mentioned about Ergon, and the Void.”

“Yes. Some time after Evelyn’s defeat, the humans immediately seized the chance and tore through the gap in space to infiltrate Ergon. They pillaged and plundered, seizing whatever they could. And anyone they saw on the streets was killed without hesitation. Even women and children were not spared.”

Nero felt his blood run cold. While Ergon’s invasion was blamed solely on its leaders he wished no ill-will on its other citizens. And having spent a few months with them, he knew they were no different than the people of any other realm. They had a right to their lives as much as anyone else.

“How did you get a hold of this information?” Nero asked.

“By a certain someone called Jill--I trust you know her. She was spearheading the efforts in helping the residents of Ergon flee along with Triela.” Lilliane said, much to Nero's surprise. More names from the past.

“If I was there, I would have stopped those murderers.” Nero put his head in his hands.

Did I “save” the Earth for this? A massacre?

“It's not your fault. Don’t blame yourself. It’s often the consequences of war. And it's in the past. Right now, we've got a greater enemy to face.”

“Those from the Void.” Zack answered.

“Yes. In the four years since that last battle humanity has gotten distracted. They believe they are fighting with the right people. The beings from the Void are seizing that chance to strike at the hearts of the people. No ordinary army can deal with them. That is why Mother called you, Zack. You have quite a history of being a proper and victorious defender of this realm. Protecting those you hold close to you.”

Protecting what is close… Nero subconsciously held the pendant which Ambeon gave him before his departure. He flipped the cover open and gazed at their photo. Determination returned to his eyes. Lilliane was right.

"I still have plenty of questions, but I suppose we can leave that until tomorrow.” Nero said. “It's been nice meeting you again.”

“Just like old times, isn’t it?” Lilliane smiled briefly.

Alone once more, Nero gazed at the moonlight streaming in through the open window. His thoughts kept flickering back to what Lilliane had said and he felt a pang of guilt.

"Humans are as wretched as ever, I see."

A woman's voice. A familiar and soothing voice.

"Who said that?" Nero looked around but saw no one. He shook his head but, a moment later, the voice rang out again.

"Why do you still fight for them? You haven’t changed. You just do as you’re told like an obedient dog."

The voice was louder, clearer, this time round. It seemed to come from everywhere at once while still sounding like it was right next to him.

I’m not. I just want to discover the truth behind all this! Nero thought.

"The truth always hurts and it’s rarely an answer you want. You…and I know that."

The voice faded away and Nero’s head was clear once again. Yet the identity was unmistakable.

Last edited:
bac735a2e1b9c23c305c36163e0eeb89.jpgQuinten
Lilliane lay in her bed wide awake. She could only sleep about once a week. Unfortunately, she never knew when that day would come. The girl didn't mind too much except for the fact that she would be bored and wasn't allowed out without permission. Elisa feared for her safety since vampires weren't exactly accepted. What made it worse was that, unlike other vampires, Lilliane couldn't hide her fangs or make her eye color look normal. There was something wrong with her transition when Faith turned the girl. Thus was the reasoning behind her long bangs and the surgeon mask she always wore in public.

There was a knock on her door and her hand went for a handgun from underneath her pillow. She didn't like using her powers since they were traceable and would only use them if all other options were exhausted. It was something that Elisa was constantly saying.

"It's Zack." The voice from the other side of the door called. Lilliane took her gun and walked to the door. She opened the door a crack and quickly looked Zack over for any form of hostility. It was something she did with anyone she didn't know. Even if Elisa said Lilliane had nothing to fear from them it was still practiced.

"What do you want?" Lilliane asked, her voice sharp.

"I just want to brief you, that's all. Let you know what we are doing, so you're ready by the time we are about to leave." Lilliane didn't say anything. Zack took it as a sign to continue. "We plan on leaving for the Sky Kingdom, soon, but first we have to gather up the other Guardians and let them know about this on coming threat. I figured..." Zack's sentence dropped off when he saw the doubt on Lilliane's face.

"I don't think that's a good idea, Zack."

"What’s not?”

“Going to the Sky Kingdom.” Zack scoffed, slightly losing his patience.

“This is kind of important and concerns Earth Realm being invaded. I think it’s time to take this problem upstairs to a higher authority." Lilliane opened the door motioned for Zack to enter. He came in and took a seat in a chair placed at a desk.

"Faith, the queen,...kinda hates you Guardians." Zack scoffed.

"And what gave you the impression that she doesn't like us?"

"It was her word. She hates what you are doing with Gifted all throughout the Realm. She says you are abusing your power. She hates that she can't do anything because the affairs are outside her jurisdiction. She can’t risk exposure of her people or the palace to humans."

"What are we doing with the Gifted that is different than anyone else that is committing crimes?"

"You persecute them. Everyone knows about it. Why do you think there are factions raised just to speak out against you?" Zack stood up and Lilliane tightened the grip on her pistol.

"Those factions are nothing but terrorist!" He yelled.

"That is what your kind label them. That is nothing but a category you place people that don't believe in your ideals."

"They kill innocent people. They blow up buildings. We were just attacked by them on the way to this place." Zack noticed Lilliane's blood red eyes glowing.

"You really don't understand.” Lilliane said, seething. “Fine, then we'll let Faith tell you all when you meet her. You say there is a greater threat but I can see none other than the threat you and your kind are to Gifted throughout this realm. You may leave now." Zack walked out of Lilliane's room and she slammed the door shut behind him. Zack mentally kicked himself. He hated leaving bad first impressions.

Zack, Nero and others gathered in a vacant room of the mansion that was to be used as a de-facto briefing room. A long table had been set in the center and vacant seats were set around. Elisa immediately got to work in activating the holographic displays as Zack motioned for everyone to have a seat.

“There are roughly one hundred and ninety-six Guardians around the world, including us,” Zack explained. “but we've been spread pretty thin. We did what we could in sending a priority alpha transmission to where they reside but not all of them have responded to our call. Luckily, we got a few of the Guardian’s that many others look to for guidance and seniority.” The screen in front of his seat flickered. On it a series of words scrolled across the display which Nero couldn’t make sense of.

He was startled as holograms of people he had never met before manifested themselves in the empty seats. Doing a quick count he noted that about a dozen or so were present. He turned to Zack, who shook his head. Most likely disappointed at the lack of Guardians that seemed to take this meeting seriously.

“This is Zack Yumari, leader of the Guardian Base in Japan. To those that have responded to my call, I thank you.”

A girl with a twin-tailed hairstyle and porcelain features spoke up.

“It's been a while, Zack. Your call certainly surprised me. What’s going on here?”

“Qian, I was about to get to that. We can get sentimental later but right now there’s a new danger threatening Earth and we need to gather everyone available to protect this realm.”

The hologram of Qian displayed surprise then a man with vintage eyeglasses and neatly cropped hair, in the seat next to her, spoke.

“A new threat? Zack, you cannot be serious. Four years ago, the invasion of Ergon had been stopped. And with it a long time threat to everyone here. There can’t possibly be a greater threat to surpass our defenses.”

“Yes, the invaders have been put down. And the humans have since laid siege to where they came from. However, some of them have survived and escaped to our realm for shelter.

“The people of Ergon, however, are the least of our problems, for those residing in the Void have built upon the knowledge in which Ergon managed to cross over to our dimension, and have begun planting their own among the humans to slowly sow discord. To the average person, he or she would not be able to tell the difference.

"Lilliane here has been able to disrupt their plans, at least for the time being, by tracking down and killing those in disguise. She knows as she has a special ability to read auras.” Elisa at this moment then brought up another panel, with pictures of the targets that had been assassinated.

“The Void realm? Haven’t heard from them for a while.” A long haired man with sharp features spoke up. “But still, your actions sound a bit...hasty, something not usually seen from someone like you, Zack. You must be worried.”

“Certainly. All this while, the Void realm have been plotting to invade Earth and according to Elisa the risks need to be contained. So she hoped that by doing so, the Voids’ actions would be slowed down.” Zack said through gritted teeth, still disapproving of Elisa’s actions.

Elisa noticed the swirl of emotions on Zack’s face and turn her focus on anything else.

“Does the Void know about this?”

“We are not certain. However, they are bound to discover what we are doing sooner or later. Which is why I am informing those present of the situation to be alert for anything. I know that not everyone is here, so I request that everyone pass on my message.”

“You could be right, Zack.” The man with glasses stated. “But only your team have had engagements with the Void so far. We cannot be sure what you have told us is the whole truth nor if and not a bout of paranoia. If we apprehended innocents every hour of the day we, Guardians, would be slated. You should be lucky we don’t take actions against what you have done already.”

Zack rose to his feet.

“Are you seriously suggesting that I am joking at a time like this, Quinten? The threat is real. Not just in Japan, but England as well. Hell, it could be the whole planet for all we know and they are all just right under your noses.” Zack got ahold of himself while the room stayed in stunned silence. Zack wasn’t prone to outburst. He finally got ahold of himself and spoke in his usual calm tone.

“Nero, I think it’s time to introduce yourself."

Nero, startled, stood. The holograms of the Guardians looked at him, some of them whispering amongst themselves.

“So this is our newest addition.” Qian said in a curious tone. “I have heard stories about you, Nero Rayne.”

“What is past will remain in the past. As a recruit to the Guardians’ cause, I can only say this: Zack needs each and everyone’s help right now. I had a run in with individuals with powers resembling those from the Void, and they had attacked me on sight. I would have been killed if I did not have this.” Nero turned his right palm to show the Guardians the cross shaped mark on it.

“I know the task at hand may be insurmountable and, to you, unbelievable. I have once served the High Crown herself at a time. A saying we had was, 'Individually, we are one drop. Together, we are an ocean.' If we work together, there is nothing we cannot solve. So please...”

There was silence for a brief while as the Guardians contemplated their stand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back