• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Monster Control

Kaya

Perhaps short of a marble

- - -

This world doesn't need
a hero.
It needs a professional.

- - -

Name: Soren Helstorm
(originally, it's Helstrøm, but as most mistake it as Helstorm, he just goes with that.)
Alias: Monster
Nickname(s): don't. you. dare.
DoB: April 13th
Species: Mutant

Height: 6'3 ft
Build: athletic, mesomorph
Hair Color: black
Eye Color: sulfur yellow
Other: well... his mutation, obviously...

Personality:
Straightforward and blunt, Monster isn't someone to be particularly worried about coming off as offensive or insensitive. He prefers to work alone, prefers not to engage in smalltalk and most likely won't share much of a tragic, personal story with anyone. He does, however, have a somewhat short fuse and won't bother hiding his annoyance.

He has the highest success rate of all hunters of the Monster Control, though he shares this position with his ex partner Gordon, according to him, "an arrogant prick without any kind of conscience".

Although it might not seem like it at first glance, despite his distant and gruff behavior, he's proven to be fiercely protective of the rookies he's been told to work with and won't hesitate to move heaven and earth for the safety of his partner. After the fiasco with Gordon years ago, he just prefers to not get emotionally attached; without even noticing that he in fact does exactly that.

Other:
The basilisk poison should have killed him, but he was saved by a vampire he has a close, personal connection to (and hates it). The combination of the poison and the vampire bite led to a row of mutations:

- Two long horns protruding from his forehead
- Sulfur yellow discoloration of his eyes
- Animalistic fangs, claws and ears
- A tail bearing a deadly, razor sharp bone blade
- A resistance to all kinds of poison and venom

- A condition he has come to call "arbitrary power shifting":

Whenever he sleeps, his skin changes to a new, random color, connected to a random power-

• Blue - healing factor
  • Gray - generating electricity (doesn't come with a resistance to electricity!)
  • Orange - emitting sunlight (very prone to giving himself massive sunburns...)
  • White - invisibility (with closed eyes only...)
  • Black - night vision
  • Green - venomous bite
  • Purple - can't smell

Basilisk's Chewtoy

Monster.

• filler tab!

♡coded by uxie♡

Last edited:
Enzo Runeguard
the werewolf
  • i
    ii
    iii
    iv
    full name
    Enzo Grayson Runegard
    nicknames
    None
    date of birth
    10th of December
    sexuality
    Pansexual
    species
    Human (Werewolf)
    occupation
    Monster hunter
coded by natasha | Art commissioned from Komrin / Lucifer997 / Fokkerdr1 | Base by Atimos

Last edited:
Today, Monster was blue. Of all the colors he had discovered since his transformation, it was his favorite, as it, unlike most of the others, didn't come with some ridiculous drawback and, in his opinion, actually looked quite okay. Far from normal, of course, but normalcy was no option for a horned man with a tail anyway.
He was turning heads wherever he went, just as right now;
It was late afternoon, he had just pulled up into the parking lot of a small supermarket, and the second he got out of his age old, rusty pick up truck, everyone within range of vision was staring at him. His tail twitched restlessly as he approached the door of the store.
As if his freakish looks weren't attracting all attention already anyways, the second he pushed the door open, the little arrangement of bells hanging right above it to announce the arrival of a customer, got caught in his horns and rang violently for several seconds as he tried to free himself from it. The woman behind the counter was watching him with a mix of wonder and disbelief. Only when Monster approached her did she seem to catch up with what was happening.
It was often like that; most human minds just weren't made for dealing with the supernatural.

"You called?"
He hadn't thought it possible, but now she looked even more confused than before.
"The Yeti?", he hinted. That's when she finally seemed to remember.
" Oh! Right, I-... I called the Wildlife Control. Don't laugh, I swear there's a Yeti in our coolhouse."
"Well show me."
He followed the slightly dazed lady down a couple of aisles until she opened a door with a plate spelling 'staff only'.
Down the corridor he could make out the door of the coolhouse, standing wide open, with a massive, white creature feasting on the ice cream and frozen pizza inside.
"Huh. Well that's weird."
"Right?! Aren't they supposed to be nothing but a myth?!"
"Not the Yeti", Monster huffed dismissively. "I didn't know they eat pizza..."

A couple of hours later
A little beaten up, with his shirt torn in several places, but with a Yeti neatly transmogrified into a furry, white rock, Monster filled out the last few documents for the Monster Control before he stored the papers in the glove box and threw the rock in the back of his truck.
That's when his phone rang.
"Another job?", he asked upon picking up, but what he was told made his face drop in disbelief before rage mixed into his gaze.
"You know I work alone", he growled, but the damn pencil pushers weren't having any of it. Damn it, he was the best hunter of the MoCo, and still they tried to pair him up with a partner?! Goddamn assholes!

All the way back to the headquarters, hidden underground beneath a run down, ramshackle little diner called 'Gil's all nighter' that was basically only visited by hunters, Monster was glaring daggers at the pothole riddled road.
To call it a road would've been an overstatement, honestly; the uneven ground made the close to ancient vehicle creak like it was about to fall apart at any second. The exhaust blasted out an exceptionally dark cloud, accompanied by a hollow bang, before the entire car finally gave in and came to a slow halt, engine giving off an indefinable gurgling sound.
The mutant behind the wheel remained where he was, unmoving.
Finally, after a long while of silence, he closed his eyes and took a deep breath.
"Well, fuck."
And of course, as if on cue, the dark gray clouds overhead finally released the weight they were carrying and it started to rain cats and dogs.

The magic eight ball laying on the passengers seat wiggled subtly, but the barely noticeable movement was enough to make the man pick it up and glare at the little triangle surfacing from the blackness inside.
Your car is done.
" Oh, why, thank you, wouldn't have noticed", Monster grumbled at the ball. "Can't you do something?!"
The tetrahedron sunk back into the dark, just to resurface with a new message.
Nope.
Gordon had been so right; minor spirits really were useless. To be honest this particular one, trapped in this magic eight ball, was an exceptionally annoying one, and Monster himself really had no idea why he even kept it around and didn't just exorcise it.

Looks like you'll have to walk.
Well thanks for pointing out the obvious. This day just wasn't getting any better, was it?
"I'll just trow myself off a cliff or something", he groaned, prompting the little white triangle to come up with another message.
You're blue. You'd just heal.
"...Fuck you."

Completely done with the world and everything in it, Soren kicked the flimsy door open, picked up the transmogrified Yeti and left his old rust bucket.
The mud squelched as it swallowed his black combat boots up to the knuckles.
He pointedly left the magic eight ball where it was, on the passengers seat, but, after marching just a couple of feet, he turned and retrieved it.
I knew you wouldn't go without me.
Tail twitching with a mix of annoyance and amusement, he ignored the comment and stuffed the thing into the deep pocket of his jacket.

After an hour's walk through the swamp that once had been the road, soaked to the bones with his hair plastered into his face, Slipknot shirt clinging to his broad frame and carrying the transformed Yeti with him, he finally pushed the door of the diner open.
As he crossed the room, the eyes of every hunter around followed him. Sure, a dark blue man with yellow eyes and a tail wasn't exactly an everyday sight, though, after five years and his survival having become a bit of a legend among hunters, one should've expected them to have gotten used to his looks. Didn't seem like it, though. His swishing tail underlined the frustrated expression on his face as he plopped down on a chair at an empty table and glared at the mysterious stain on the wall as he waited for his new partner to arrive.

Last edited:
Sitting in the driver's seat of his car, Enzo was talking on the phone to the administrators of Monster Control. The conversation wasn't exactly going in the way he'd hoped, but he didn't really have much of a say in things - only being part of the company for a few weeks now.

"A partner to learn from?" Enzo repeats, "I appreciate it, bu--" Quickly, his sentence is cut off mid-word by the people on the other end of the line, causing his features to shift into a frown.

"Yes, but-- No... I-- Yes... I understand... Thank you..." he continues to respond, sighing as they hang up the phone.

Pulling the cell phone away from his ear, he stares at the screen for a few moments before locking it and slipping it into his pant pocket. Being new to Monster Control, apparently they wanted him to team up with one of their best to learn how they did things. Being part of a company was a lot different from working as a freelancer, it seemed.

He'd been told a time and a date to meet this 'top hunter', and it wasn't too long to wait.

The time of the meeting soon rolled around, and Enzo parked his car in the lot of the diner. It was chucking it down with rain, and the short distance he needed to cross from the car to the diner was enough to soak his clothes and hair.

As he enters the building, he shook his head sharply, flicking water from his damp hair across the entrance to the diner, much like how a dog would shake out their wet fur. Thankfully, no one was sat close enough to the door to be affected by Enzo's actions, but it did draw a couple of gazes across to him.

Almost immediately, he realised what he'd done, and slouched down a little bit - not liking the small amount of attention that he was receiving from the hunters inside the diner. Most of them ignored him, but the few eyes that were drawn to him made him want to sink into the floor and disappear.

He quickly scans the room, looking around for the man that was supposed to be his new partner. Enzo was told that he couldn't miss the guy - that his name was 'Monster' and that he'd know him as soon as he saw him. Honestly, Enzo thought that it was a load of nonsense, but then he saw the blue, horned man sitting down at an empty table, and immediately realised that what they had told him was more than accurate.

"Oh.." he murmurs to himself under his breath, adjusting the collar of his shirt with both hands before dropping them back to his sides and walking over to the table. Enzo stops behind the empty chair, placing one hand on the back of it, ready to sit down if instructed to.

"I'm guessing you're, uh... Monster?"

Shortly after he'd taken a seat at the table, the office had mailed him what little info they had regarding his to-be partner slash apprentice. Apparently, his name was Enzo Grayson Runeguard, he was 27 years old and had been working as a freelancing hunter for a couple of years, before joining the MoCo.
And people said he had a weird surname...

Honestly he was a little surprised by how they let someone they barely knew anything about join, but, giving it a second thought, the reason was quite clear-
While there was a rise in crypto activity, especially vampires, the hunters numbers were, honestly, dwindling. And while no proper hunter would go down without at least taking one monster with them, becoming a monster was a way easier and faster process than becoming a hunter. Not to mention that by far not every human had what it took to actually even recognize the supernatural. Few were gifted with natural awareness, unfortunately. More often than not it rather took a traumatic event to open someone's eyes, which again slowed the process off training rookies even more. Many of them required intense therapy before they were even remotely stable enough to become a hunter.
So of course he was glad that they were getting some backup... he just didn't like having to work with them.

As if on cue, he was approached by a tall, dark-skinned man wearing a leather jacket much like his own and a green flannel shirt that matched his uncomfortably striking silver-green eyes.
"Hey, back around!", he said with a grin as he plopped down on the chair across Monster like he was welcome in any way.
Which he goddamn wasn't!
"I was wondering if you'd like to help me on a case. Got a Wyrm in the abandoned subway tunnels."
Monster's pupils narrowed to thin slits for just a moment.
"You know I don't go underground."
A snarl tugged at the corner of the mutant's lips, accompanied by a hateful scowl as Gordon produced a petty little smirk.
"If you're so eager to be working with me, maybe you shouldn't have run with your tail between your legs like a scared mutt and left me behind", he hissed, and knew the second the words had left his lips that he was going to regret them.
"Well, Rory, if you were half as professional as you claim to be, maybe you shouldn't have minded your personal agenda more than the safety of yourself and your partner, nay?"
Wham. Bullseye.
Monster remained silent to glare daggers at the man until he finally got up to leave, of course not without giving him one last, pitiful smile.
His breath was slightly shaky as he rested his forehead in his hand and absentmindedly petted the transmogrified Yeti like a cat.

He wasn't sure how much time had passed, but soon enough someone addressed him to ask if he was Monster.
He looked up to find himself face to face with a rather slim man with brown hair and blue eyes, looking a little helpless. He certainly didn't look like much, honestly.
"What gave it away, the horns?", he huffed, but vaguely waved one hand towards the chair to tell the guy to sit down.
However... it hadn't gone unnoticed by him how he had actually addressed him as Monster, not Soren, unlike most, if not all, of his previous partners. Which was a little, but not insignificant plus for the man.
His gaze softened ever so slightly after he had leaned back in his chair and closed his eyes for a moment, taking a long, deep breath. "Well then. I haven't had dinner yet, so I suggest we order something to eat- and I'll need to head downstairs to drop off the Yeti afterwards."

"Something like that," Enzo replies quietly, remaining standing for a second or two longer before pulling the chair out and sinking down into it.

So his new partner was a mutant, huh? That was... Unexpected. Sort of. He knew something would be different when the administrative team had told him the name of his partner - knowing that someone didn't easily achieve a nickname like that without a reason. But was he expecting someone with blue skin, a tail, and horns? Not quite.

Letting out an almost inaudible sigh, Enzo clasps his hands together on the table in front of him, staring at them for a few moments. It wasn't until Monster spoke up that he raises his gaze to him instead, tilting his head at the mention of a yeti. It wasn't a creature he'd encountered yet - but then again, he probably hadn't been in the business nearly as long as Monster had, so it made sense.

Nodding, Enzo pulls his hands apart and leans back in his chair, flagging down an employee with one hand. He'd been here a few times now - what hunter hadn't? But he was almost always hungry, so he felt like he knew the menu fairly well by this point. Enough to know what he wanted without looking, at least.

When a waiter finally makes their way over to the pair, Enzo quickly orders himself a burger - the biggest one they had on the menu with an extra portion of fries. A large meal for someone, but Enzo was able to maintain his weight when a lot of his energy went into controlling his werewolf forms and keeping them under wraps. That, and hunting was a damn near exhausting job at the best of times.

After ordering, he quietens down and gives his new partner a chance to place his own. It's only after the waiter leaves when Enzo speaks up again, this time addressing Monster directly.

"They say you're the best the company has to offer..."

Well, this was interesting. Most of the others the heads had paired him up with had been overly excited, almost obliviously optimistic regarding the fact that their job had nothing to do with heroism.
None of them would ever be given a medal, or even as much as a voucher for KFC. They would never be mentioned in the news, they probably wouldn't even be recognized at all. This was especially true for monster; the minds of humans often protected themselves from being overwhelmed by just forgetting. Take the lady from the supermarket; by now, she probably wouldn't even remember him. In her world, a bear had made it into the store and wreaked havoc, and a regular dude from the wildlife control had removed it. No memories of how he had a tail and horns and blue skin, let alone how he had used runes to transmogrify the beast into a rock.
But fantasizing about how they actually were heroes was still common among rookies; something that annoyed Monster to the core.

Enzo, however, wasn't rambling about some unrealistic expectations, in fact, the guy was just very very quiet. Almost seemed glum, he noted. Seemed like he'd already had his curative dose of reality, thank god. And he was still here.
Many rookies left upon realizing that being a hunter had nothing to do with glory, but this guy was still keeping it up.

He was woken from his brooding by the waiter approaching and ordered the same as always. "A steak, extra rare, just salt and pepper, no sauce, and a big portion of fries."
Since the accident, it seemed like raw, or almost raw meat was far more palatable and digestive for him. Whether that was an effect of the vampire or basilisk venom he couldn't tell, but it was what it was.

His new partner's sudden comment caught him completely off guard, and it showed- too much for Monster's own liking, really- in the way he looked up from the documents he'd produced from the pocket of his jacket without the perpetual frown he was known for. One eyebrow raised in disbelief, his sulfur yellow eyes scanned the man's face for any signs that he was lying or just trying to butter him up.
"They do?"
He almost sounded adorably, sincerely confused.
Of course he was aware that he had the highest success rate among all hunters of the MoCo, but with how bad he'd fucked up in the past, he would've expected them to see him as more of a... black sheep, or something.
He quietly cleared his throat, looking away, before he replied with a shrug.
"I'm just more experienced because my life got fucked up earlier."
Nodding towards his phone, he leaned forwards, eyes gaining an inquisitive look.
"The files say you've started hunting at the age of 21. So what Cryptos have you dealt with so far?"

"Well, the admin team said so when they called to tell me that they were pairing me up with you," Enzo replies, "Said that it's been a hell of a while since you've failed a case and that they send you out for the more difficult jobs..."

When Monster shifts the focus of the conversation onto Enzo, however, the man finds himself looking as though he were a deer caught in the headlights. The conversation almost began to feel as though it were a job interview to Enzo, and he didn't quite know whether Monster was looking to hear something impressive or not.

He looks away from the other man, choosing to watch one of the waiters tidy an abandoned table as he talks.

"I, uh... Think the file might have that wrong, but... A few lake monsters, a sasquatch, a coven of hags, a poltergeist... Uh... A wendigo too, quite recently. Uh..." he pauses to rub the back of his neck awkwardly and completely avoids mentioning any sort of werewolves - even though he'd had a number of run-ins with them during the last few years.

"I mean, I've never really come across anything too 'flashy', you know? That's... That's not the right word, but you get what I mean, I hope?" Enzo continues, lowering his hand from his neck and placing it on the table in front of him as he finally looks back to Monster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back