• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy Modern Witchcraft & Demon idea

Yennie

I'm bored
So I've been wanting a modern magic setting, less on the super power side more on the witchcraft and spells side using objects to channel magic through be it a book, a knife, a candle w/e

Now the trouble is the plot
I've got a messy idea that's not fully thought out so it probably won't make an ounce of sense but here we go: There's three factions(covens) of witches that focus on a certain archetype(idk yet but they will be vastly different), each competing with each other to destroy demons and harvest the essence they drop upon being killed
The witches of the faction treat it as a competition for bragging rights as well as doing the duty of protecting people from demons
Each coven has a Supreme, basically the leader and most powerful, responsible for recruiting new witches and educating/training them
Whatever essence their coven collects goes to them and adds to their power, whether they decide to divulge this information is up to them

So anyway- the main plot point now, a powerful once lost relic is discovered that when charged with enough essence would make it possible for one Supreme to upset the delicate balance of the three covens and overpower the other two forming a dictatorship of sorts
So what will happen? Which coven will gain possession of the relic first?
And all that demon essence in one place can't be a good thing... Perhaps an even worse threat might be unleashed on the unsuspecting witches if they were to fill the relic
It was previously lost for a reason after all

That's the basic idea, if people are interested in helping flesh this out with more lore and backstory that'd be cool
I am open to ideas! And feel free to ask questions, it'll help me flesh things out more

Reminds me of Fate series, but without the grail and the servants XD
Anyway,

Who discovered the relic?

I guess it borrows elements from that

I'm thinking it's more like someone read an old book or something and discovered it's existence and once that info leaked it's a race to see who actually finds it first, then they would have to fill it with essence while still competing with the other covens

I'm thinking it's more like someone read an old book or something and discovered it's existence and once that info leaked it's a race to see who actually finds it first, then they would have to fill it with essence while still competing with the other covens

Then the relic isn't really 'discovered' isn't it? It's still a rumour that might or might not be true. This can cause a war of course, but it might be more political in nature.

Then the relic isn't really 'discovered' isn't it? It's still a rumour that might or might not be true. This can cause a war of course, but it might be more political in nature.

Right though I imagine it to become a physical(well magical) war once the thing is actually found

I’m in. Would it be possible to play a Supreme or someone related to then?

I'm debating on if people should be able to play them as their own character or if they should be an NPC with a set personality that we can all control
What do you think?

I'm debating on if people should be able to play them as their own character or if they should be an NPC with a set personality that we can all control
What do you think?
Probably NPC. I was just wondering what roles were open.

Question: Can we do something from, like, the Last Apprentice series? Add a Spook to the mix?

You gotta love dem seventh sons of seventh sons. ;D

Hoping to get more interested people that can help develop the lore and world
Feel free to post some ideas
What if one Coven is known for shady acts and barbaric ways, while one is full of “witches” meaning women who don’t see the need to have men in their faction, amd the last one is like i guess more of the friendly side fighting for peace amongst the others....?

What if one Coven is known for shady acts and barbaric ways, while one is full of “witches” meaning women who don’t see the need to have men in their faction, amd the last one is like i guess more of the friendly side fighting for peace amongst the others....?

I've been doing some thinking of one of the coven archetypes and this kind of aligns with that first idea
Coven White (tentative name, I'm not that creative ok :D) - A purist coven, only accepts female witches and those of good heritage unless the candidate possesses exceptional power. I want them to be sort of like the Catholic church in the 14th-16th century, except the Supreme is the center instead of a holy figure and is worshiped as such. They have a holier than thou attitude towards other witches, are very secretive and don't really mix&mingle with others. They practice the old ways, finding it the most pure form of magic and rarely adapt to modern tricks. This coven is incredibly organized and its members are expected to act a certain way with severe punishments for those who step out of line. Very hive mind.

As for a Coven that sues for peace there won't really be one based around that but that doesn't mean individuals can't come to the conclusion that working together is better and try to achieve that goal

Never heard of that, mind telling me a bit more about it?

Well, crap. I can't pull up the website. Must've died. D;

Anyways, guess I better explain it myself. Brace yourself.

A Spook is, simply put, someone who fights the supernatural. Whenever there's a ghost, a spook is called to bring it to rest- whether peaceably or forcibly. Whenever there's a boggart (Boggart - Wikipedia) causing trouble, a Spook is required to trap it. Whenever there are malevolent witches, a spook is there to either trap her or kill her. Basically, a spook is mankind's practical watcher of all things supernatural. At least, that's what the Last Apprentice books portray them as.
Spooks are seventh sons of seventh sons, and as such, they can see the supernatural. (Also comes with a quirk of being a lefty.)
Spooks don't use magic; to do so is to fall to the very same evil they are fighting against, in their eyes. Instead, they use salt, iron, and silver (and various woods. :))as their weapons, reinforcing their determination. They build up contacts to achieve the jobs they need to do, and although people are afraid of them, they do what they say: spooks get the job done.

Now, then, since I mentioned putting witches in a trap, I feel the need to bring up the topic. Spooks vary on how they deal with various monsters. Witches is a prime example. In the Last Apprentice books, the protagonist's master tends to trap any witch he finds into a cage beneath the ground. As in, cage 'em and bury them alive. Is it cruel? Yes, but the master sees that method better than the other methods of dealing (killing) with witches- burning them at the stake, or eating their heart. The protagonist himself despised that practice, but he's forced to admit that that practice is preferable than the other two; however, he resolves to only do it to malevolent witches, not benevolent witches.

This book series was heavily based on English folklore, and as such, features many supernatural aspects in a vilified/mythical manner.

I've been doing some thinking of one of the coven archetypes and this kind of aligns with that first idea
Coven White (tentative name, I'm not that creative ok :D) - A purist coven, only accepts female witches and those of good heritage unless the candidate possesses exceptional power. I want them to be sort of like the Catholic church in the 14th-16th century, except the Supreme is the center instead of a holy figure and is worshiped as such. They have a holier than thou attitude towards other witches, are very secretive and don't really mix&mingle with others. They practice the old ways, finding it the most pure form of magic and rarely adapt to modern tricks. This coven is incredibly organized and its members are expected to act a certain way with severe punishments for those who step out of line. Very hive mind.

As for a Coven that sues for peace there won't really be one based around that but that doesn't mean individuals can't come to the conclusion that working together is better and try to achieve that goal
I was reading a series a while back and iI remember distinct witch covens being introduced. All three were pretty cool but one coven was more peaceful while the other two were ruthless. They each had supreme matriarchs but all three fought for ‘control’. I remember that the peaceful coven was like hunted by the mean two and such and they all had different practices and skills. Maybe we could break them up by type of skill or magic? Like one could be based on strength or fighting while the other is based on strategical smarts rather than strength and the peaceful once could be pure magic based? Just some ideas I have a lot more lol.

I was reading a series a while back and iI remember distinct witch covens being introduced. All three were pretty cool but one coven was more peaceful while the other two were ruthless. They each had supreme matriarchs but all three fought for ‘control’. I remember that the peaceful coven was like hunted by the mean two and such and they all had different practices and skills. Maybe we could break them up by type of skill or magic? Like one could be based on strength or fighting while the other is based on strategical smarts rather than strength and the peaceful once could be pure magic based? Just some ideas I have a lot more lol.

Well, in the Dark Eyes, there's three types of witches: Cat Witches, which is sort of the, -cough- well, pretty witches. The ones who can use magic to bewilder men. Not that they don't need it. Raven Witches: Seers, basically. They can see into the future, and they often act as midwives to women in need of their services. And then there's the Toad Witches. Yeah, they're there to slightly fulfill the stereotypical role of the ugly witch with a cauldron of potion she made. But they're not all bad: they just want to be left alone. And they are good with alchemy and herbalism...

Well, crap. I can't pull up the website. Must've died. D;

Anyways, guess I better explain it myself. Brace yourself.

A Spook is, simply put, someone who fights the supernatural. Whenever there's a ghost, a spook is called to bring it to rest- whether peaceably or forcibly. Whenever there's a boggart (Boggart - Wikipedia) causing trouble, a Spook is required to trap it. Whenever there are malevolent witches, a spook is there to either trap her or kill her. Basically, a spook is mankind's practical watcher of all things supernatural. At least, that's what the Last Apprentice books portray them as.
Spooks are seventh sons of seventh sons, and as such, they can see the supernatural. (Also comes with a quirk of being a lefty.)
Spooks don't use magic; to do so is to fall to the very same evil they are fighting against, in their eyes. Instead, they use salt, iron, and silver (and various woods. :))as their weapons, reinforcing their determination. They build up contacts to achieve the jobs they need to do, and although people are afraid of them, they do what they say: spooks get the job done.

Now, then, since I mentioned putting witches in a trap, I feel the need to bring up the topic. Spooks vary on how they deal with various monsters. Witches is a prime example. In the Last Apprentice books, the protagonist's master tends to trap any witch he finds into a cage beneath the ground. As in, cage 'em and bury them alive. Is it cruel? Yes, but the master sees that method better than the other methods of dealing (killing) with witches- burning them at the stake, or eating their heart. The protagonist himself despised that practice, but he's forced to admit that that practice is preferable than the other two; however, he resolves to only do it to malevolent witches, not benevolent witches.

This book series was heavily based on English folklore, and as such, features many supernatural aspects in a vilified/mythical manner.

An interesting concept... I wouldn't mind exploring the develoment of these sorts of people throughout the roleplay rather than them straight up existing already
Could there be some that might want to go rogue and compete the coven witches for demon essence, killing any witch who gets in their way while employing the sort of methods a Spook would use?

An interesting concept... I wouldn't mind exploring the develoment of these sorts of people throughout the roleplay rather than them straight up existing already
Could there be some that might want to go rogue and compete the coven witches for demon essence, killing any witch who gets in their way while employing the sort of methods a Spook would use?
I would be down.

You have gotten my attention, but question how does this demon Essenes harvest work? I got a character idea but it sort of need to understand on how power is collected, also is it possible for one to be “soul bound” so to speak with one of these demons?

But a faction idea for you, prehaps one that imbraced the modern...magitek if you will abe to disguise there “magic” and simple experimental and “advanced” technologies

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back