• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Modern Godbound RP?

A few bits still have the original character name, but otherwise good.
I left the names same since they are close enough to be middle easter names Tarjan for example is based on Tarkan (an old title for a leader of a tribe) and Kadar is based on Kader (Fate)

Is there room for any more? I am interested in playing Godbound as well, along with exploring a modern setting for it.

Necessary Lore
A decade ago, the Godbound Lazarus was killed. Before his demise, he had carved a path of destruction through India, the Middle East, and Africa.

In the wake of Lazarus, society reeled in panic. He proved anyone could be a Godbound.

Anyone could remake the world.

Hyperion, an organization devoted to the Divine, was ecstatic to have a real divine corpse. They have used divine material over the decades, primarily to recreate the One in flesh.

Godbound are well known, but few can claim to be such. Most are in hiding, in Hyperion custody, or in terrible predicaments. You are one of the lucky ones. Perhaps you don’t even realize your heritage. Even so, you’ve had dreams. Dreams of a heavily bandaged man in a suit.

He has driven you towards New York, to a seedy bar (the Blue August), for some unknowable purpose.

I changed my third fact basically because old one didn't seem to fit my current backstory that much this one both fits to his current story and his goals.

A decade ago, the Godbound Lazarus was killed. Before his demise, he had carved a path of destruction through India, the Middle East, and Africa.

In the wake of Lazarus, society reeled in panic. He proved anyone could be a Godbound.

Anyone could remake the world.

Hyperion, an organization devoted to the Divine, was ecstatic to have a real divine corpse. They have used divine material over the decades, primarily to recreate the One in flesh.

Godbound are well known, but few can claim to be such. Most are in hiding, in Hyperion custody, or in terrible predicaments. You are one of the lucky ones. Perhaps you don’t even realize your heritage. Even so, you’ve had dreams. Dreams of a heavily bandaged man in a suit.

He has driven you towards New York, to a seedy bar (the Blue August), for some unknowable purpose.
There are a couple of things I would like to ask and make some adjustments on my character. Not to change anything in his backstory but add some details.

How much Hyperion understands godbounds, words and gifts? Is it possible for someone to hide their words from Hyperion's surveys? For example can my character hide the fact that he actually has 4 words and hide desire as part of his dance and deception? How much influence Hyperion has on world politics,organizations, people of interests, celebrities, militaries etc?

There are a couple of things I would like to ask and make some adjustments on my character. Not to change anything in his backstory but add some details.

How much Hyperion understands godbounds, words and gifts? Is it possible for someone to hide their words from Hyperion's surveys? For example can my character hide the fact that he actually has 4 words and hide desire as part of his dance and deception? How much influence Hyperion has on world politics,organizations, people of interests, celebrities, militaries etc?
Hyperion has a good idea of how things work, and can determine words with time. They have a bit of influence, but they’re not omnipotent.

Hyperion has a good idea of how things work, and can determine words with time. They have a bit of influence, but they’re not omnipotent.
A couple of other questions more related with my character.

Lazarus made a path of destruction a decade ago in middle east my character is from the middle east as well and considering timeline is it possible for him to know or even first-hand witness this? It might be why his family sold him to Hyperion since they are afraid of godbounds or why he has a fourth word while most start with three. He also tries to hide his fourth word as long as possible but masking it as dance or deception since in his mind compared to other words desire is the one truly to key to his revenge and ambition.

A couple of other questions more related with my character.

Lazarus made a path of destruction a decade ago in middle east my character is from the middle east as well and considering timeline is it possible for him to know or even first-hand witness this? It might be why his family sold him to Hyperion since they are afraid of godbounds or why he has a fourth word while most start with three. He also tries to hide his fourth word as long as possible but masking it as dance or deception since in his mind compared to other words desire is the one truly to key to his revenge and ambition.
That would work. Lazarus was a Death, Winter, Might Godbound. He commanded a zombie horde.

I think I have a concept. But, I’m having a hard time piecing together where she’s from and what her life has been like. I think I’d like her to have grown up in the slums of New York, on the streets most of her life.

But then, how does she become Godbound? Does she choose her words?

Really, right now, I’m having a hard time considering her backstory to get her Facts in place.

I think I have a concept. But, I’m having a hard time piecing together where she’s from and what her life has been like. I think I’d like her to have grown up in the slums of New York, on the streets most of her life.

But then, how does she become Godbound? Does she choose her words?

Really, right now, I’m having a hard time considering her backstory to get her Facts in place.
Well, either she’s the product of random chance, or Hyperion kidnapped her. They’ll take anyone.

Words are random chance either way, so you can pick something that fits her.

And if Hyperion took her, did they MAKE her Godbound?

Yeah, I’m aiming her at Might, Endurance, Sky as her three right now.

Sorry for the questions. I hope you don’t mind.

If you weren’t created as one from Hyperion, are you just born as one?

Also, how is Hyperion making them? Experimentation, torture, etc.?

A question of my own, since its modern times, are Concept Words allowed? I was toying with playing with the AI one but if not, understandable.

Okay! I think I’m done. Take a look and let me know what you think.

Ava Drake
4A319EF3-43C8-4DAA-BE17-33EEF07D9502.jpeg

Level 1 Godbound (0 XP, Dominion 0)

Goal: Bring down Hyperion as revenge for all they’ve done to me.

Facts
[Origin Fact]: I was born on the streets of New York. The slums. Reynard told me my mother pushed me out and ran. So, survival in a metropolitan jungle was the start of my story. I had thought my end too.

[Profession fact]: I fell into league with Marauders. Did a lot of shit I’m not proud of. Learned a lot, though. Skills. How to fight. How to lead. How to hurt and hunt people.

[Relationship fact]: Things were stable. I wouldn’t say good, but I had a life. That’s when Hyperion showed up. Took some of us. Killed the rest. The next years were literal torture and experimentation. I can’t even think about it.

Words & Gifts: (6/6 points spent)
Endurance: The Word of Endurance is one of hardiness, determination, and un-flagging exertion. Its miracles can grant survival even in the face of certain death, strength when exhaustion would otherwise overwhelm, and resistance against unwanted sorcery or curses. A Godbound graced with this Word is fearsomely difficult to harm physically, but the Word cannot deflect mental or spiritual damage sources or com-pulsions, like a Knowledge Divine Wrath or a Command compulsion. As a guide, if it would involve a Spirit save then Endurance can't stop it. Its miracles can't extend immunities to others unless noted otherwise.

Heroes of Endurance need not eat, sleep, drink, or breathe, and may set their Constitution score to 16, or 18 if it’s already 16 or higher.

[Body of Iron Will] Lesser—Constant
Your natural armor class is 3. You are impervious to any natural envi-ronmental damage, such as that caused by extreme heat, cold, pressure, radiation, or vacuum. Such forces used as a weapon or hazard against you function normally. Armor or shields don't benefit this base AC.

[Undying] Greater—Constant
While you can be brought to zero hit points, mutilated, or burnt, you cannot actually be killed except by the effect or aid of a Word-powered gift, divine miracle, or gift-enhanced attack. If not slain, you regenerate back to one hit point in an hour from your largest remaining piece.

Might: The primal power of strength is embodied in the Word of Might. Many martial Godbound are strong, but a Godbound of Might excels them all in raw physical strength, and can perform miracles of lifting, throwing, or breaking things with their bare hands. They also have the power to bless their allies with similar graces of strength, though usually for specific actions or challenges rather than as a standing bonus to their abilities.

A Godbound of the Word of Might is tremendously powerful, gaining a Strength score of 19 and a +4 attribute modifier for Strength. This prowess allows them to lift or break anything that is humanly possible to so handle, though truly supernatural feats of strength require the use of a gift or miracle.

[Fists if Black Iron] Lesser—Constant
The Godbound's unarmed and weapon attacks are fueled by their tremendous strength. One-handed weapons do 1d10 damage in their hands, and two-handed ones or unarmed attacks made with both hands free inflict 1d12. These attacks count as magical weapons.

Sky: The sky rules weather, flight, lightning, and wind. Those blessed by its might navigate the air as easily as the earth, wield lightning as a weapon, or blight whole cities with storm and wind. Miracles of the sky might banish hostile weather, smite a target with a bolt of light-ning, conjure wind to lift and carry a thing, or perform some other feat of aerial command.

Heroes with the Sky Word are never harmed by falling, need not breathe, and have an invincible defense against electricity, cold and injurious sounds.

[Sapphire Wings] Lesser—On Turn
Commit Effort. The hero can fly at twice their usual movement rate. If undistracted and able to fly in a straight line, they can reach speeds of up to 100 miles an hour.

[Stormsword]: Lesser—On Turn
Commit Effort. Wield electricity as a ranged weapon out to 200 feet, or sheath your weapon in lightning. Damage done is a minimum of 1d10 and counts as a magical weapon. Attacks against wet or metal-armored foes always do at least 1 point of damage, even on a miss.

Attributes
STR—19 (2/+4)
DEX—16 (5/+2)
CON—16 (5/+2)
WIS—14 (7/+1)
INT—13 (8/+1)
CHA—13 (8/+1)

Stats
HP—10/10
AC—1 (body of iron will 3, DEX -2)
Effort—2/2
Influence—2
BAB—+1
Saves—Hardiness 11, Evasion 13, Spirit 14

Attacks
Fists of Balck Iron (Unarmed)—+5 to hit, 1d12+4 damage
Stormsword—+2 to hit, 1d10+1 damage
Fray—d8

Wealth

Last edited:
Okay! I think I’m done. Take a look and let me know what you think.

Ava Drake
View attachment 702144

Level 1 Godbound (0 XP, Dominion 0)

Goal: Bring down Hyperion as revenge for all they’ve done to me.

Facts
[Origin Fact]: I was born on the streets of New York. The slums. Reynard told me my mother pushed me out and ran. So, survival in a metropolitan jungle was the start of my story. I had thought my end too.

[Profession fact]: I fell into league with Marauder. Did a lot of shit I’m not proud of. Learned a lot, though. Skills. How to fight. How to lead. How to hurt and hunt people.

[Relationship fact]: Things were stable. I wouldn’t say good, but I had a life. That’s when Hyperion showed up. Took some of us. Killed the rest. The next years were literal torture and experimentation. I can’t even think about it.

Words & Gifts: (6/6 points spent)
Endurance: The Word of Endurance is one of hardiness, determination, and un-flagging exertion. Its miracles can grant survival even in the face of certain death, strength when exhaustion would otherwise overwhelm, and resistance against unwanted sorcery or curses. A Godbound graced with this Word is fearsomely difficult to harm physically, but the Word cannot deflect mental or spiritual damage sources or com-pulsions, like a Knowledge Divine Wrath or a Command compulsion. As a guide, if it would involve a Spirit save then Endurance can't stop it. Its miracles can't extend immunities to others unless noted otherwise.

Heroes of Endurance need not eat, sleep, drink, or breathe, and may set their Constitution score to 16, or 18 if it’s already 16 or higher.

[Body of Iron Will] Lesser—Constant
Your natural armor class is 3. You are impervious to any natural envi-ronmental damage, such as that caused by extreme heat, cold, pressure, radiation, or vacuum. Such forces used as a weapon or hazard against you function normally. Armor or shields don't benefit this base AC.

[Undying] Greater—Constant
While you can be brought to zero hit points, mutilated, or burnt, you cannot actually be killed except by the effect or aid of a Word-powered gift, divine miracle, or gift-enhanced attack. If not slain, you regenerate back to one hit point in an hour from your largest remaining piece.

Might: The primal power of strength is embodied in the Word of Might. Many martial Godbound are strong, but a Godbound of Might excels them all in raw physical strength, and can perform miracles of lifting, throwing, or breaking things with their bare hands. They also have the power to bless their allies with similar graces of strength, though usually for specific actions or challenges rather than as a standing bonus to their abilities.

A Godbound of the Word of Might is tremendously powerful, gaining a Strength score of 19 and a +4 attribute modifier for Strength. This prowess allows them to lift or break anything that is humanly possible to so handle, though truly supernatural feats of strength require the use of a gift or miracle.

[Fists if Black Iron] Lesser—Constant
The Godbound's unarmed and weapon attacks are fueled by their tremendous strength. One-handed weapons do 1d10 damage in their hands, and two-handed ones or unarmed attacks made with both hands free inflict 1d12. These attacks count as magical weapons.

Sky: The sky rules weather, flight, lightning, and wind. Those blessed by its might navigate the air as easily as the earth, wield lightning as a weapon, or blight whole cities with storm and wind. Miracles of the sky might banish hostile weather, smite a target with a bolt of light-ning, conjure wind to lift and carry a thing, or perform some other feat of aerial command.

Heroes with the Sky Word are never harmed by falling, need not breathe, and have an invincible defense against electricity, cold and injurious sounds.

[Sapphire Wings] Lesser—On Turn
Commit Effort. The hero can fly at twice their usual movement rate. If undistracted and able to fly in a straight line, they can reach speeds of up to 100 miles an hour.

[Stormsword]: Lesser—On Turn
Commit Effort. Wield electricity as a ranged weapon out to 200 feet, or sheath your weapon in lightning. Damage done is a minimum of 1d10 and counts as a magical weapon. Attacks against wet or metal-armored foes always do at least 1 point of damage, even on a miss.

Attributes
STR—19 (2/+4)
DEX—14 (7/+1)
CON—18 (3/+3)
WIS—13 (8/+1)
INT—13 (8/+1)
CHA—10 (11/+0)

Stats
HP—11/11
AC—2 (body of iron will 3, DEX -1)
Effort—2/2
Influence—2
BAB—+1
Saves—Hardiness 11, Evasion 14, Spirit 14

Attacks
Fists of Balck Iron (Unarmed)—+5 to hit, 1d12+4 damage
Stormsword—+2 to hit, 1d10+1 damage
Fray—d8

Wealth
This looks good as someone who already played Godbound only thing I can suggest is maybe putting 10 to con raising it to 16 with endurance and giving your 16 to something else to get a better Evasion or spirit save (if you put it in Dex you will also get better AC) while you lose only 1 HP which is not big in godbound due to how damage works getting better saving throw or AC might have a bigger impact.

This looks good as someone who already played Godbound only thing I can suggest is maybe putting 10 to con raising it to 16 with endurance and giving your 16 to something else to get a better Evasion or spirit save (if you put it in Dex you will also get better AC) while you lose only 1 HP which is not big in godbound due to how damage works getting better saving throw or AC might have a bigger impact.
Oh no that’s an awesome idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back