Experiences Military RPers, UNITE!

I'll check it out! =)
EDIT: Unfortunately I'm not that into the cold war era. But I'll think about it! =)

My experience with military roleplays have ranged extensively, but my favorite was a futuristic military based rp about China taking over russia, while the US sends troops over to help stop their rein of terror. I loved the dynamic futuristic weaponry. It reminded me a lot of the missions in COD Black Ops 2

I thought this was for rpers in the military. I was mistaken. Military roleplay...blech. The actual military is misery, roleplaying it...

Might be down for it honestly...

By god, i may be one of the only people who still like and try to do realistic military RP, but im hoping i can find people with good experiences with it. So share experiences of military RP, are you new to it? Was it likeable? How did you start doing it?
Why u don't try to rp as an army soilder in a zombie apocalypse roleplay? you can run your own little army or survivor camp or anything u want just use your creativity.

Thought I'd take the opportunity to promote a Second World War roleplay that's in dire need of some military roleplayers! The roleplay's been up one time before, it's a remake of an earlier roleplay called The Devil's Marauders. Feel free to check it out and possibly join! =)
The Devil's Marauders

I've been pulled into some historical stuff, mainly in medieval based units. Played as a European-ish squire for almost a year, if that counts. I find it really interesting but very intimidating.

Oh I love it but more in a tabletop setting to be fair. I feel like mapping out strategy is very important especially when working with a group, it's the main thing that keeps me from doing it here. So instead I take the route vigilatees as well as militaristic characters in a different setting.

Personally I love military-themed RPs. But I don't do pure strategy ones? I'd rather take the perspective of a single leader/soldier/etc. and go from there. In particular, I prefer realistic historical military ones. Modern warfare isn't really cool imo. That's just me though. //shrugs//

But give me some warfare set during the Crusades? Yes. WW2? Yep! Imaginary alternate history scenarios with large or small scale conflicts, including actual battles and espionage? heck y e s.

By god, i may be one of the only people who still like and try to do realistic military RP, but im hoping i can find people with good experiences with it. So share experiences of military RP, are you new to it? Was it likeable? How did you start doing it?

Okay, I know i'm about to sound rather condescending/elitist and you would be completely right for thinking so. I've done all kinds of Military-based roleplays from Modern day Russian paratroopers, taking on those 'pesky Westerners' to Commanding a Mech-Lance, engaging the enemies' right flank with a 120mm, Sabot-firing auto-cannon. From all these different experiences, with some very, very different people. I have come to dislike a few stereotypical characters that just always seem to pop-up in almost every, single, roleplay that involves any sort of military structure or theme. Whilst usually, I don't mind these folk; I often find myself rolling my eyes and wanting to end it all..

*This is the time to look away if you're easily triggered, I know I am.*​

1. The 'I want to be the highest ranking person here but I have absolutely zero idea on how to be an effective and flexible leader other than barking some rather questionable orders towards the more competent soldiers' character.
Yes, we all know that one guy/gal who wants to be Master-Chief from Halo; the hero that kicks gum and chews ass (I think I got that right?). Any other advice or suggestions from other characters are either simply ignored or the Master-Chief-wonna-be dedicates a full paragraph on how he/she is "IN CHARGE HERE!!!"... and that anyone else's ideas are worth zilch. When the combat starts, the Master-Chief-wonna-be completely forgets to give out orders to his/her troops and simply charges across the battle-field; magically avoiding incoming fire and in return, completely destroying several dug-in fortifications with little more than a 9mm pistol and pure patriotism to boot. Master-Chief-wonna-be does not know the words "positive feed-back" and will more than often focus on the cock-ups that occur during missions; handing out 'Drill-Sergeant' rants like it's 1969. "The war was lost because of YOU, scruffy private first class."

2. The 'I want to be a medic but I can't be bothered to do a bit of googling.' character.
Lost a arm? No problem, let me just slap some aspirin on that bad-boy and you'll be up in no-time. Whether the wounds the group sustains are minor or life-threatening, don't worry for the Magic-Shaman-Doctor will some-how have everyone back to fighting fitness with little more than some 'bandages' and 'experience'. Ask the Magic-Shaman-Doctor what Morphine does the human body and he/she will laugh confidently before giving a condescending answer of "I've been to medical school.. I know what Murpheen does, it re-grows lost limbs if applied in thick enough batches." Before kneeling by a head-less corpse and checking what-ever remained of the neck for a pulse.

3. The 'edgy sniper that says nothing to the team and acts like a total moody teen' character.
Contrary to popular belief, the sniper (depending on which military force we're talking about, but i'm British so...) was often employed more as a recon element than a 'lone wolf, crawling across no-man's land to snipe the enemy general from 5km away before hidng in the shadows'. Want to know what's on the other side of that hill? Send a fella to go have a peek. Since 'generic-sniper-#27' is far too busy hiding up a tree away from the squad, silently bitching about everyone and everything. However, when the chips are down; the 'generic-sniper-#27' will be able to one-shot half of the enemy force with his/her tacticool, 50.cal, silenced sniper-rifle. Not wanting to feel left out, the sniper will carry everything but the kitchen-sink in a back-pack and still do some gravity-defying parkour to a perfect sniping postion.

4. The 'I forgot to reload / 5000 round magazine' character.

Eh, I would add more but it's getting late.. hope some peeps have had a giggle and I wonder if anyone else has spotted any repeating stereotypes?​

Last edited:
Okay, I know i'm about to sound rather condescending/elitist and you would be completely right for thinking so. I've done all kinds of Military-based roleplays from Modern day Russian paratroopers, taking on those 'pesky Westerners' to Commanding a Mech-Lance, engaging the enemies' right flank with a 120mm, Sabot-firing auto-cannon. From all these different experiences, with some very, very different people. I have come to dislike a few stereotypical characters that just always seem to pop-up in almost every, single, roleplay that involves any sort of military structure or theme. Whilst usually, I don't mind these folk; I often find myself rolling my eyes and wanting to end it all..

*This is the time to look away if you're easily triggered, I know I am.*​

1. The 'I want to be the highest ranking person here but I have absolutely zero idea on how to be an effective and flexible leader other than barking some rather questionable orders towards the more competent soldiers' character.
Yes, we all know that one guy/gal who wants to be Master-Chief from Halo; the hero that kicks gum and chews ass (I think I got that right?). Any other advice or suggestions from other characters are either simply ignored or the Master-Chief-wonna-be dedicates a full paragraph on how he/she is "IN CHARGE HERE!!!"... and that anyone else's ideas are worth zilch. When the combat starts, the Master-Chief-wonna-be completely forgets to give out orders to his/her troops and simply charges across the battle-field; magically avoiding incoming fire and in return, completely destroying several dug-in fortifications with little more than a 9mm pistol and pure patriotism to boot. Master-Chief-wonna-be does not know the words "positive feed-back" and will more than often focus on the cock-ups that occur during missions; handing out 'Drill-Sergeant' rants like it's 1969. "The war was lost because of YOU, scruffy private first class."

2. The 'I want to be a medic but I can't be bothered to do a bit of googling.' character.
Lost a arm? No problem, let me just slap some aspirin on that bad-boy and you'll be up in no-time. Whether the wounds the group sustains are minor or life-threatening, don't worry for the Magic-Shaman-Doctor will some-how have everyone back to fighting fitness with little more than some 'bandages' and 'experience'. Ask the Magic-Shaman-Doctor what Morphine does the human body and he/she will laugh confidently before giving a condescending answer of "I've been to medical school.. I know what Murpheen does, it re-grows lost limbs if applies in thick enough batches." Before kneeling by a head-less corpse and checking what-ever remained of the neck for a pulse.

3. The 'edgy sniper that says nothing to the team and acts like a total moody teen' character.
Contrary to popular belief, the sniper (depending on which military force we're talking about, but i'm British so...) was often employed more as a recon element than a 'lone wolf, crawling across no-man's land to snipe the enemy general from 5km away before hidng in the shadows'. Want to know what's on the other side of that hill? Send a fella to go have a peek. Since 'generic-sniper-#27' is far too busy hiding up a tree away from the squad, silently bitching about everyone and everything. However, when the chips are down; the 'generic-sniper-#27' will be able to one-shot half of the enemy force with his/her tacticool, 50.cal, silenced sniper-rifle. Not wanting to feel left out, the sniper will carry everything but the kitchen-sink in a back-pack and still do some gravity-defying parkour to a perfect sniping postion.

4. The 'I forgot to reload / 5000 round magazine' character.

Eh, I would add more but it's getting late.. hope some peeps have had a giggle and I wonder if anyone else has spotted any repeating stereotypes?​

All of those cliches are spot on, dude. It's like a kid playing a game, and wanting to play as their favorite character, despite having no idea how to actually play them, and complaining when they die. The edgy sniper is great, too. Look, it us true that sniper's usually don't work in squads, but a lot of the time, hell, most of the time, their entire job is to support a team on the ground. A Marine sniper is trained first and foremost to support his/her's team above all else. And they don't work alone. They always have a more experienced sniper act as a spotter for them.

I also love the people who ignore the ethical and psychological effects of war, like one conflict being the catalyst for another, PTSD, paranoia, etc. They also pull what I call a "Rob Liefeld," after the infamous comic creator of the same name. They make as soldier character who is a complete and utter psychopath who slaughters with reckless abandon, without considering that doing that might just get you a court martial.

All of those cliches are spot on, dude. It's like a kid playing a game, and wanting to play as their favorite character, despite having no idea how to actually play them, and complaining when they die. The edgy sniper is great, too. Look, it us true that sniper's usually don't work in squads, but a lot of the time, hell, most of the time, their entire job is to support a team on the ground. A Marine sniper is trained first and foremost to support his/her's team above all else. And they don't work alone. They always have a more experienced sniper act as a spotter for them.

Yeet my dude, I do completely agree with you in regards to the U.S Marine-Sniper role; providing support for the infantry is the best that any military element can do. From a British point of view, our snipers tend to be used more so as regular infantry 'until' a situation occurs where a marksman's reach is needed. I'm fairly sure most military forces have a similar doctrine. (Don't quote me on that) ;D

Dunno if your post was inspired by my ad but I did get a giggle ; )

I aim to please <3

I would honestly love to take part in your RP my dude, but i'm working full-time so I rarely have moments where I can rant online like the mad-man that I am :closedeyescryingfrown:

(Best of luck though)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back