• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy MIDGARD: Of Gods and Men [ALWAYS OPEN!]

OOC
Here
Characters
Here

capMARVELOUS

Acclaimed* Light Novel Author Tatami Enjo
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
plamen-tamnev-slider-village0.jpg

The god Thor is dead.
Odin the Allfather has hidden away his dead son's hammer, the famed Mjolnir, in a far corner of the northern lands of Midgard, and laid many a powerful spell upon it, protecting it, keeping it hidden from those unworthy of wielding it. Only a true hero, who has proven his mettle in the trials that stand between him and Mjolnir, can even stand a chance of finding it, and even then, it may still reject him.
Many have set out in search of the legendary hammer, eagerly hunting for it so that they may be granted the powers of the thunder god and ascend to Asgard to be seated among the Aesir. And every one has failed. Now a new band of travelers sets out across Midgard, desperately hoping that one of their luck will be different.
You are one of these travelers.
May the blessings of Odin go with you.

MIDGARD: Of Gods and Men
Interest Group | Main Gameplay Thread | Character Factory | Chat Club

Welcome to MIDGARD: Of Gods and Men. Where Norse mythology actually isn't confusing.
Polish your axeheads.
It's going to be a dangerous quest.

WHAT TO EXPECT:
MIDGARD: Of Gods and Men is an open-world, sandbox-esque roleplay, with healthy bits of survival and choose-your-own-adventure thrown into the mix. There is an overarching story, and the choices that the players make will affect the outcome. The game is inspired by various interpretations of Norse mythology; throughout the course of the game, players can befriend gods, harness wild runic magic, slay giants and undead, hunt strange beasts, and discover long-buried treasure.
All while on a quest to find Mjolnir and become the new god of thunder.

HOW TO PLAY:
This section assumes that you've expressed interest in the Interest Group and made your character(s) in the Character Factory. If you have not done either of those, please do so.
Being a text-based roleplay, the events of MIDGARD: Of Gods and Men will proceed through- you guessed it- the players' text. Words are your controls, sentences your actions. Everything that your character does, says, thinks, and feels is described through your writing. It’s like writing a little bit of a narrative every time you post. You are playing the part of your character by writing about them.
Please begin each post by placing your character's name and current location at the top. After that, write your character’s actions, speech, thoughts, feelings, etc. Many people prefer to write these in the third person, but some write in the first person. You are free to write in whichever person you feel comfortable with. If interacting with other players' characters, tag the player(s) of the characters at the bottom of your post, as shown below. This will make it easier for everyone to keep track of who's interacting with who.
( capMARVELOUS capMARVELOUS )
Repeat the process for each of your characters, if you have more than one.

OTHER ASSORTED RULES:
1.) All RPNation policies apply.
2.) Even in a world full of elemental control and children of gods, logic still applies. I can't stress this enough.
3.) As characters, you can be as much of an asshole to other characters as you want, but as players, please be respectful to your fellow players.

TAKE LUCK, AND WEAR YOUR SEATBELT.
ᛒᚱᚨᚲᛖ ᛃᛟᚢᚱᛋᛖᛚᚹᛖᛋ ᚹᛁᚾᛏᛖᚱ ᛁᛋ ᚲᛟᛗᛁᚾᚷ​

Last edited:
PROLOGUE
"ᛋᚺᛟᚢᛚᛞ ᚺᛖ ᛒᛖ ᚹᛟᚱᛏᚺᛃ"​
The two divine undertakers of the Aesir, Undirv and Erktaki, shoveled dirt over the stone vessel that served as the god Thor's casket. The former god of thunder himself lay peacefully among his spoils and treasures, dressed in his finest war tunic and greaves; his ensemble covered the still-agape sword wound that had pierced his mighty heart. At the foot of his son's grave, Odin the Allfather wept silently, mourning the loss of his beloved, and one of the greatest of the Aesir. From his limp grasp, the mighty Mjolnir, the Hammer that Felled Mountains, dangled.

Odin was at a crossroads, a conundrum. With Thor dead, there would be no god of thunder, and that would not do. The other Aesir, he knew, were jockeying for favor in a ploy to earn the position themselves even now, and with behavior like that, he did not trust them not to abuse the power that Mjolnir brought. At the same time, he could not bestow godhood upon any mere mortal, for they were inexperienced in the affairs of the Nine Realms. And forbid he take it himself; the others would see him as greedy with power. So in a way, he wept for himself as well, for he knew not what he would do in that moment.

Or rather, he did, but he did not wish it to come to that.

Holding Mjolnir up to his lips, he whispered an incantation through his tears, the same one he had once used against his own son many years ago. "Den som holder denne hammeren, hvis han er verdig, skal eie Thor. Skjul deg bort, Mjolnir, trygg fra nysgjerrige øyne og farlige sjeler." Whosoever holds this hammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor. Hide thyself away, Mjolnir, safe from prying eyes and wayward souls. As he spoke, runes ancient and arcane seemed to carve themselves all along Mjolnir's head, sealing it with a powerful magic that could only be broken by one whom the hammer chose.

With all his might, Odin hurled Mjolnir off across the horizon; his one eye followed its path until it was out of sight. He knew not where he had cast it, only that wherever it landed, the magic sealed within it would protect it, keep it safe until one who was truly capable of becoming the new god of thunder arose. It was a last resort, and he did not like having to do it, but there really was no other way. No other course of action.

The deed was done. Odin fell to his knees, and it was said ever after that his weeping went on for a year.

YEARS LATER...

CHAPTER ONE
"ᚾᛟᚱᛋᛖ ᛏᛟ ᛗᛖᛖᛏ ᛃᛟᚢ"​
The Temple of Odin. Ever since word had reached Midgard of Odin's not-quite-invitation to find Mjolnir and replace Thor on the pantheon, adventurers, ragamuffins, criminals, gutter-scum, and Jotnar alike had practically swarmed here to begin their quest, to receive a blessing from the priest and pray to the Allfather for luck in their endeavor. And today was no different. A strange assemblage of characters gathered here on this dawning of the day, with nothing in common binding them, save their ultimate goal...

And so, in the bright red glare of the dawning star, approached a red flame of hair. More accurately, bounded Annie, Fearsome Destroyer of Flesh, Devourer of The Undead, Slayer of Giants, The One Who Wears Little By Way of Practical Clothing. The safe and well-travelled path to the temple of Odin provided no transit for this behemoth, instead opting to leap headstrong out of the wilds, landing on all fours before the temple, standing up straight to adjust her mud-caked cloak, and then approaching its door, pushing aside a commoner carrying tribute to the Allfather.

She clears her throat and releases a booming yawp that echoes off of the wooden door. "GRANDPA! HOW ARE YOU? HOW ABOUT UNCLE? UP TO HIS OLD TRICKS AGAIN?" Her face, covered in forest mud and fresh cuts from thorns and bristles, goes into a somewhat non-murderous grin. "GET IT? OLD TRICKS? BECAUSE HE'S LOKI?" She laughs heartily at this, her own joke. "LISTEN, PEEPUMS, I'M HERE FOR THE MEWMEW OR THE WHATEVER, AND I DON'T WANT TO SEEM RUDE BUT BY ALL RIGHTS IT SHOULD BE MINE. NO OFFENSE, LOVE YOU TO VALHALLA, BUT I MEAN, COME ON, REALLY? I'M PERFECT. YOU DON'T EVEN HAVE TO GIVE ME THE NEW ONE, JUST GIVE THE POWER TO OLD GEORGE HERE!" Annie holds aloft her meaty warhammer, its black metal covered in scratches, stains, and a poorly written "George". "COME ON, PEEPAW. IF YOU'RE NOT GOING TO GIVE IT TO MY DAD, IT SHOULD GO TO ME, FAIR'S FAIR."

Yes, she's really that loud the whole time.

Asur

Asur,had actually come rather early but she had a slightly different motive than many coming, both in the idea of giving offering and seeking godhood, she instead was seeking one that might seek it himself. She then did hear the boasts of the girl that had run in like a beast and demanded she receive the hammer. Asur found her in an instant as distasteful as any she had sent to her mother, Asur was a warrior, she had honor and nobility, she had strength and intelligence and this girl was a wild thing. This woman had none of the grace or control of a great warrior and to Asur looked more like she was the kind that felt might made right on the battle field. While Asur was not one to hold Odin in the highest regard for he played many tricks there was a certain amount of tact required even when addressing someone you saw as family and who likely didn't view you as the same. This woman had no tact nor respect even for a grieving father having to see his son pass before him. Normally Asur would not bother to interfere in the affairs of any god save her mother but this lack of respect coming from one seeking to take up thor's mantel was disgusting.

" Perfect That must be a joke" Asur said emerging from the shadowed area she had been watching from holding her halberd in one hand, her armor looking clean but not fully pristine it was cared for but had seen battle only her halberd truly looked completely undamaged but nothing was neglected only well used and having seen many battles. The people around her only had to look to her hair and her weapon to know who she was and give her a wide berth for fear of her taking them to Hel.

" You are no warrior, you show no respect you the allfather or even to the very weapon you seek to claim" Asur said sounding rather calm despite being rather annoyed " If you plan to replace thor and take up his hammer you should at least know Mjölnir's name" Asur said again rather calm though her glare looked like it might kill a lesser man and her runed Halberd seemed to glow and emit a small amount of frost.

Error 420 Error 420

Last edited:
Annie

"CAN YOU NOT, THOUGH? CAN YOU NOT? REALLY? I'M HAVING A TALK WITH MY GRANDPAPA." Annie turns to this woman, all three hundred plus pounds leaning aggressively over Asur. She scoffs, flicks her vibrant red hair back, and turns back to the temple. "HUMANS ARE SO RUDE. I'M SORRY, T. T. Y. L." She turns back to Asur, frowning greatly as she sizes her up. After bending over to reach her eye level, she heartily laughs. "I LIKE YOU! NOT MANY WOULD BE SO EAGER TO TALK DOWN TO A CREATURE SO LARGE! I AM ANNIE, DAUGHTER OF MODI, SLAYER OF EVILS! BUT YOU MAY CALL ME... WHATEVER YOU WISH!" She continues to laugh, her body violently shaking as the thunderous noise echoes all around, scaring away small animals. "WHO MAY YOU BE, SMALL ONE?"

Karcen Karcen

A small creature shrouded in a white cloak slowly approached the temple. She walked cautiously among the other people who came here for the same purpose as her. And yet the ends of their purpose were far from her own. She did not talk to anyone, nor did she make eye contact. She knew how, of course, as she lived most of her one hundred and some years of life hiding away. If she was found, she rewarded them with healing. That was her life until now.

She decided she would try and enjoy the life with which she was blessed, and what better way than with a journey for an unreachable star? She sat down by one of the columns that surrounded the temple and drank from her flask. It was simply spring water, as she was not 'mature' enough to drink ale, in the words of her father.

She continued her walk, when she heard a very unbecoming voice booming across the temple. She listened and decided that the person was dangerous. Yet she was blocking her way to the Allfather. She approached the loud person and hid her face. Her voice trembled from fear. The pressure she felt was pressing down on her.

"E-excuse m-me," she spoke with the voice of a terrified child, "I-I wish to pray for the Allfather's b-blessing and give my tribute."

She couldn't ask anymore and simply waited for the woman to leave.
Error 420 Error 420

Annie

"REALLY? REALLY? CAN I GET ONE MINUTE? LIKE EVER? KIDS THESE DAYS..." Annie steps aside, not making eye contact with the elf. She looks again on Asur, eyeing her intently. "NICE... WEAPONRY, THERE. DWARF-FORGED? OLD GEORGE HERE IS DWARF-FORGED." She holds him up, proudly. "WELL, MORE FORGED FROM DWARVES. THE HANDLE, AT LEAST. VERY RESILIENT BONES, THOSE ONES."

Karcen Karcen MachievallismAlter MachievallismAlter

Thorne, Loki's son
Just outside the temple
Thorne arrived at the temple earlier in the day as after walking the peaceful roads. When he entered grounds of the temple he noticed his niece, Asur giving her respect and praying to Odin. Thorne decided to avoid her for now and talk with after he came here do what he came here to do, pray to Odin, get some information about the journey ahead from the priest, and see if he could sleep with a priestess. So he began doing the third task on his list and began hitting on on a priestess... Or he tried to when aloud women... Or arleast women shaped monster came in yelling. Thorne planed to pay her no mind until she brought up his father. Then he began watching her from the corner of his eye. ...Does she really think yelling like that in the temple will get her anything... Though I guess trying something once is better then repeating failures... Thorne thought as his Niece went to confront the women.

Thorne should of guess she would of confronted the women with how honor she was or at least acted to be. Thorne listened as the women shouted once more about how she was the daughter of Modi. Thorne shook his head a little as he thought ...The grand daughter of Thor... Well isn't the dead god's blood line a bit... interesting... Maybe I should lend my dear niece a helpinf hand with dealing with this women... And maybe also get her out of the way of that elf as well... With that in mind Thorne created a realistic illusion of Mjölnir, or at least as best he could based on what the legends said it looked like, just outside. It was easily see able from the window nearest to Annie. The "hammer" sparkled and glowed with many "sealing runes" on it, all to help make people buy the illusion.
Error 420 Error 420 MachievallismAlter MachievallismAlter Karcen Karcen

Last edited:
Asur

This woman was getting more and more annoying, Asur had not planned on seeking out the hammer but if it meant keeping someone like this away from even possibly claiming it then she would go after it. It was also apparent the woman was a fool to not know Hel's Valkyrie she had been wandering the 9 realms for over 100 years hurting down the unworthy there was no world untouched or untraveled by Asur. The elf that came was far from home Alfhiem was a long ways away when one walked the world tree. Still even the cowardly elf had more claim to thor's weapon in Asur's mind than the animal of a demigod before her.

" I am Asur the daughter of Hel , the reaper of the cowardly, the dishonorable, and the disrespectful" Asur said even disgusted that this thing would dare compare their weapons, where hers was a thing of beauty and craftsmanship, a weapon to rival even the weapon of thor enchanted by Hel herself and forged by the finest dwarven souls in all the 9 realms and this woman's was crude lacked any craftsmanship.

As Asur was about to say something Mjölnir the hammer itself flew threw the window. This was shocking and for a moment Asur bought that this might be the hammer then she realized something more likely but she didn't say as if she was right then this would be amusing. There was also the chance she was wrong as it did look real or as real to the legends so it might actually be picking the brute, if so the hammer needed to be melted down.

"GRANDPA, RIGHT NOW? I'M TRYING TO HAVE A CONVERSATION HERE. HOLD ON A SINGLE MINUTE."

A look of an intense, dawning realization suddenly overtakes Annie as her eyes lock upon the illusory hammer. A single moment, a glow in her eyes, a thousand connections suddenly coming into place.

"THERE'S AN INSIDE TO THIS PLACE?" With this, Annie holds up a single finger to Asur, as if to say she'll be right back. "ONE SEC, KAY?" She lifts up Alveria the elf by her head and places her behind her mighty oaken thighs. She turns to the building, and rears back an arm, quickly planting her face into the wood of the wall next to the window, attempting to burst through to have a look around.

Asur
Outside the temple

Asur was at a loss for words, she had no insults or challenges to say after a display of stupidity so great she couldn't understand how the person displaying it even functioned. Only just now realizing buildings had an inside there was just no way to express or even understand how someone even someone raised completely could not understand the idea that there was an inside and this Woman had not been raised in the wild. Asur could not understand how Annie could not understand this as she had to have seen the inside of a building and surely even an animal could understand repetition or could realize there was a pattern. Never had Asur been exposed to such stupidity there was no way Annie was worthy of the hammer Thor might not have always been the brightest but he still had brains.

" There is a door idiot" Was the only thing she could say and her tone was nor anger or even her calm just complete disbelief that Annie could exist.

Annie

"Idi..ot?" Annie slowly pulls her head out of the wall and hangs it low. "Why are you saying this? Did I do something wrong?" Her face, previously alive with the wonder of discovering the temple's interior, melts into one of loss and sadness. "Why are you so mean to me?... I have not been mean to you..." She dejectedly reaches down through the hole she made in the wall, attempting to pick up the pieces to refill the hole, coming up with only splinters that slowly tumble away from the hole. She almost appears to shrink to the size of a normal person as she sighs and slowly grows more frustrated with the splinters falling away.

Arvo Turgard
____•][•____
Arvo’s heart lept into his throat as he was pushed aside by the door, never getting the memo that he was going to be experiencing the wonders of rough physical contact. Not only that but the perpetrator had at least a foot and a half on him, along with an almost comically sized weapon. He let some quiet strangled hiss seep out before scrambling to keep his balance. Arvo mustered his best glare a shot it square into their back, before they started talking and the realisation that they were both there for the same damn reason overtook him.

It was easy to get why somebody like that would pound it in to their skull that they could be the one to wield Mjollnir, but Arvo wasn’t sure what possessed him to come here. If he was the one to wield it, then the world had surely lost all hope for a good hero. Maybe his inability to have confidence in himself was the reason that the behemoth speaking so boldly and informally towards the gods frustrated him. Not a lot, but he found himself mildly irritated. Arvo almost, almost voiced this to her but someone beat him to it. He hadn’t realized how much he wanted to avoid confrontation until someone was doing it for him.

Then Mjollnir(? Maybe. But he doubted it was the real thing. Nobody would drag it all the way back here for bragging rights, right?) came crashing in, and the giant became even more hyperactive and proved to be more annoying. And then they were upset, and oh god did he hate it when people were upset. Especially when their behaviour is so akin to that of a child. Arvo’s head was throbbing from all of the sensory information, so finally he clapped his hands together and prompted.

“How about everyone just goes inside? I think everyone should just get settled and get going.” He said, before adding out of pity. “And nobody is stupid or mean. I’m sure we have all travelled far and are simply tired.”

Error 420 Error 420 Karcen Karcen MachievallismAlter MachievallismAlter ChazGhost ChazGhost

Þorgrímr Ástríðarson (Thorgrim Estridsson)
Approaching the Temple of Odin
A man clad in full armor, his face blindfolded and masked, hand-axes hanging upon each thigh, was at the end of his pilgrimage. He had come to pay Odin, the Allfather, respect and sympathy for his great loss. That man, was Þorgrímr Ástríðarson.

Þorgrímr's senses were bombarded by two things as he made his way towards the Allfather's Hof. The stench of death itself and an audial assault that threatened to summon blood from his ears. The former told him that a child of Hel was here, which was simply wonderful. The latter, a mere buffoon. Þorgrímr had met many in his lifetime, and he doubted this would be the last. He ignored both of them for the moment, instead choosing to make his way inside. He caught the scent of bird-feed and heard the beat of a small heart just before him. He quickly sidestepped, his blindfolded face pointed towards the Elven boy, and merely grunted as he passed.

Unwittingly, Þorgrímr stepped right through the Mjöllnir imposter, as it gave no scent nor produced any sound, and halted before the alter of Odin himself. He sank to his knees, offering a quiet prayer.

Azlyn

Azlyn held her basket in one hand and her cape in the other. She ran towards Odin's temple, hoping to find adventure. She was only a small child, but she loved stories. She even knew a few of Thor and Loki and even Odin despite the fact they all happened before her birth, but they were fuzzier than her others. Some of the flowers in her basket flew out and fluttered in the wind before landing in the green grass. She laughed happily, knowing today would be amazing.

The young demigod arrived and found many different people. She put her hood down, letting her blond braid fall over her back. She huffed lightly from her run and looked all around. It was so beautiful in every way.

She found a solemn man in armor knelt before the altar. She pulled a flower from her basket and gently placed the flora in the man's hand before kneeling at the altar herself. Her basket was placed before her and she bowed her head in prayer, hoping that she lifted his spirits even a little.

ULRICH GUNTHERSSON
approaching the temple of odin
From the east, the same east that bore the sun up from the horizon to herald this new day, a lone figure emerged from the forest that bordered the path most civilized folk took to the Temple of Odin. At a distance, one might observe his appearance backed by the light of the dawn and take it to mean that this was someone of importance. In reality, however, he just experienced a moment of extremely accidental dramatic timing.

The newcomer's face, plain as it was and marred with a red mark on its right side, and his garb, black and worn from travel and use, certainly did not lend anything to the appearance of someone important; great heroes and mighty folk did not generally look like forest hicks. The dead beaver hanging from his hand certainly did nothing to dispel that image. And rightfully so, for this man was, in fact, a genuine forest hick. This man was Ulrich Gunthersson, called by some Longfingers or Beaversbane, a hunter of animal skins, and a man who had not seen a friendly face in some time. What business did such a man have in approaching the Temple of Odin?

Why, the same business as everyone else here: to pray for the Allfather's luck in the quest for the mighty Mjolnir.

Ulrich's boots stepped quietly along the beaten path, almost unnaturally quietly. The few pieces of armor he wore clattered lightly as he moved; the beaver in his hand sprayed blood with every motion of his arm. As he approached the door of the Temple, he was greeted with a bizarre sight: a huge, wild woman thrust her head through the portion of the wall near the open door, and a man in a mask walked straight through an otherwise solid-looking hammer. He scrubbed at his eyes with his free hand, confused. Had he been in the woods so long that such odd occurrences were accepted as commonplace? Oh well. If this was what was socially acceptable nowadays, he might as well join them.

Hastening his approach, Ulrich passed several others who had gathered to observe the scene, stopping at the ajar door and knocking his forehead against its frame, in an imitation of the wild woman's actions. Though in his case, the wood of the doorframe remained whole.

Asur
Temple of odin

Asur was at a loss for words once more how could the idiot not realize why someone might be angered by her actions, even if she didn't understand she had desecrated a holy site to the allfather by slamming her over sized head into it, then she should get that she was breaking something someone else owned for absolutely no reason what so ever. Asur was tempted to slay her right there it was clear to her that despite being a demigod this woman belonged in Hel she would never be taken by a Valkyrie she was without a doubt one of the unworthy. Still Asur had some tact and even if it was her place to find the unworthy and taken them she would rather not risk Odin getting angered of her attacking one of his in his own temple. Still they were making a scene by now her real target had likely moved on if he had even been here today, the rune stone had glowed slightly he had been somewhere but it was faint. Still there was no point in continuing the girl was stupid that much was clear and Asur wanted no more attention than she normally got. The hammer was a fake as a man, he had to be blind to miss it, walked through it and into the temple along with some kid it seemed going in was now what would happen.

"It is for the best we go in " Asur agreed seeing another of the elves had decided to show up "But" She said lookign back to the huge woman " You will control yourself no more shouting, no destroying anything, sit receive the blessing and go and i will not have to take you to Hel with the other unworthy dead" Asur threatened meaning it if Annie acted up again she was planning to take her " It must be hard for one of Modi's line but surely you can control yourself for a few minutes" Asur said and not waiting for a response she left and headed intot he temple.

Error 420 Error 420 GalacticKitten GalacticKitten

Astrid, The Daughter of Mischief
Entering the Temple

The small, but menacing girl pushed open the door to pay her respects to the dead. But, everyone knew their true purpose for gathering here. Aside from the initial sadness of the passing of One of the Greats, everyone was gathered for the same purpose as one another. To find the Mjolnir and be ascended to pantheon.

Astrid was quite the one to attract attention when walking into a room, but she paid no mind to the stares and whispers. She kept her sight forward, only glancing around to scope out her competition. With a quiet scoff and smirk, she shrugged.
Suddenly, she was sent into a full cringe when she heard the booming voice up ahead. Lowering her black cloak from her face, she listened to their conversation, bursting into laughter when she mentioned her father. She had only had contact with him partially through times in her life, but only through lucid dreams. But she respected him. She stepped forward to the beastly woman, and opened her mouth, but was cut off short by her accomplice.

Eleonora, Ellie
Entering the Temple

Ellie was a sight to see. Beauty and elegance in it's prime. But she wasn't there for the reason everyone else was. More to protect her beloved friend from harms way. She towered over the 5'3" horned-girl, but was quiet and nimble. She put her hand softly on her comrade's shoulder when she got heated, patting softly. "Hey, isn't this your niece over there? Maybe we should go pray as well, Nin mel." She pointed out Asur praying. Having distracted her little devil for the time being, she sighed in relief. She smiled at Annie and used a little paste in her bag to mend some of the larger splinters together and replace the hole she had made. "See? All fixed?" Her voice was soothing and supple. Patting the girl on the back, she scanned the room, spying Astrid's brother and waved, smiling. She had been with Astrid since they were small, so she knew all too well how the two siblings didn't get along very well. But, she enjoyed his company nonetheless. He made her laugh.

( Karcen Karcen Error 420 Error 420 ChazGhost ChazGhost )

Thorne, Loki's son
Entering the temple
Thorne chuckled to himself as the brute started trying to break the wall down to get to the hammer. But then just like that his fun was ruin as a blind man just walk right through it. Thorne gave short sigh before waving his hand sightly. With the wave of a hand the hammer melted in the form of a snake and slithered off into hole in wall. Once out of sight Thorne dispelled it. The crowd of... Interesting people began going in and Thorne was about to follow when he caught sight of another relative, his dear sister Astrid and her Friend Ellie. ...Just when I was having fun my illusion was ruined and now my sister is here... What next father shows up... Or maybe my other sister Hel comes and claims our souls?... I mean her daughter is already here... Thorne thought before walking in himself.

Thorne waved back to Ellie as she waved to him. Thorne as much as he didn't get along with his sister he was happy she had some one looking out for her. After that Thorne decided to get back on track with his plans. Thorne walked over the alter were the blind man and young girl were already praying. Thorne pulled out a few gold coins out from one of his pouches and placed them on the alter. Thorne liked coin and rarely would give it up for nothing. But if he was going to pray to Odin, his grandfather, he might as well pay his respects properly. And if the priest saw him do it he may be more inclined to give Thorne information on the possible trip ahead. But either way Thorne kneeled down and began praying for a safe and profitable journey ahead.
V e r t i g o V e r t i g o Karcen Karcen capMARVELOUS capMARVELOUS Radio_Rat66.6 Radio_Rat66.6 Kodi Ly Antoniusarson Kodi Ly Antoniusarson Error 420 Error 420 GalacticKitten GalacticKitten

Halsten, The Man Who Has Been Everywhere

On a road to the temple of the Allfather walks an aged man, worn down by the exciting, yet daunting and wearying life he has led. His hair is uncut and unkempt, not having been sheared since the days of his youth, his face wrinkled from decades of expression, and his skin bearing scars of battles years past. Had he been a halfbreed or a race of another land, he would still have been in the prime of his life, and would likely be so for another century or few dozen. Unfortunately, four dozen of the very same years that elves live can come to deteriorate a man, especially ones spent at constant work or in battle. Still, he walks, in spite of his mortal age, bearing his offering on his shoulders: a boar no less than two hundred pounds, retrieved after weeks on the hunt. Many a good boar was passed over by him to find this one, as he could only carry one, and it had to be perfect. In addition, tied to his belt was a small bottle of a red wine from a distant land, for which he had saved for a special occasion. For, indeed, this was a special occasion, as today, he intended to receive the Allfather's blessing to seek out Mjolnir.

The man's name was Halsten, and he had no need for godly power or great fortune in the land of the gods. His purpose for wanting to join the search was, even by his admission, strange; even if he was lucky, he had already lived through two thirds of his life, and he knew his days of adventure were soon to come to an end. Someday, he would need to give up the adventure and settle down, maybe as an elder in his home village. This was a fact of life for all mortal men; eventually, time catches up to man, and all man can do is live out the rest of his life offering his wisdom to the next generation. However, while he was getting old, he still had some vigor left in him, and he had it in him for one more adventure before he turned in and retired.

However, for a long while, he had no idea where he would go next. There were certainly places he could go that he had yet to see, but none appealed to him as being worth seeing as his final adventure. Besides, every adventure carries a risk of death, how ever slim it may be, and he certainly did not want to have his life come to an end in a foreign land, and never have his proper rites back home. He considered retiring right then and there, and heading back to his village for the first time in decades; it's this intent that brought him back to his homeland in the first place. However, upon crossing the sea and making footfall in the land he was born, fate had struck. News of the death of Thor and the sending of Mjolnir to Midgard came like a sign of destiny, as if a message had been sent to him to seek out Mjolnir. The moment he heard that news, he resolved to find Mjolnir in the last and greatest adventure of his lifetime. While he wouldn't exactly turn down the power, he personally didn't need, want, or feel like he personally deserved it; in fact, all he intended to achieve from this journey was see the thing, maybe see someone ascend if he's lucky. It was a Aesir artifact, after all, and it isn't every day you see an Aesir artifact. Besides, he often found that the journey beats the destination.

Speaking of destinations, after quite a long walk, before him stood the Temple of Odin, which seemed to be containing quite a ruckus. Not an unheard of state of affairs; the men of Midgard were a proud and fierce kind, and often temples were built to last in spite of this. Ignoring the ongoings of the temple, he sat his boar down just a few feet outside the temple and got to skinning the boar and separating the cuts. He obviously didn't want to skin a boar in the Temple, as a matter of both respect and personal safety, due to the fighting, and he knew skinning it outside the temple wasn't much better, but he had to keep the meat fresh somehow, and he didn't want to deteriorate the quality of the meat by bathing it in salt. Once he finished his cuts, he entered the temple and poured the red wine into an offering bowl, and the choicest cuts of the boar into another, sitting in silence for a moment in prayer. It had been a long time since he last even saw a temple to his gods, and he was understandably rusty in practice, but no amount of time could take the tradition out of him. Then, he spoke up to those around him who were too preoccupied with their arguments to grasp the intent of the Temple.

"Excuse me, but would one of you mind helping me manage my offering? It's been quite a few decades since I last set foot in here, and I'm not quite sure what to do." It was a lie, of course, and he hoped the Allfather would forgive him for doing so, but it seemed like an opportune time to bring out the good in at least some of them.

- Open to Interaction -

Last edited:
ULRICH GUNTHERSSON
entering the temple of odin
Ulrich rubbed his forehead; he was sure that the impact against the doorframe would leave a bruise. He stumbled back a little and shook his head to reorient himself. It worked, somewhat. From the doorway, an older man asked the small crowd about if any of them would be willing to help him manage his offering to Odin. Since they all seemed to remain occupied with one another at the moment (aside from the redhead woman with the Dwarvish halberd, who had already walked into the temple herself), and he was currently unoccupied, Ulrich decided that he would help the man with his offering.

"I-I can," he said to the man. "I was planning on making an offering myself-" he held the dead beaver up to the man's line of sight- "so maybe you can... watch me do it to figure it out, or something." His last words trailed off into muttering; he had lost his touch in talking to people. Before entering, he dropped the beaver to the ground, retrieved his battleaxe Witherbrand from where it sat across his back, and swung it down on the creature's neck, disconnecting its head from its body. Blood oozed from the wound; he mopped it up with a beaverskin he fished out from his satchel. With the pelt protecting his hands, he picked up the beaver's head and made to carry it into the temple.

"So, uh... I think you take it to one of those bowls over there... gosh, it's been a while since I did this, too. But I think that's what you do."

( Sizniche Sizniche )​

Arvo Turgard
Just outside ____*][*____ Elven Jeweler
In his haste and hidden irritation, Arvo had heard somebody request help with their offering, and he realized that he had not yet made his offering or his prayer. His offering was the feathers of a Whinchat, found dying just outside his place in the market. The bird had given him permission to collect her feathers and nothing more. If he had thought about taking the meat too, he would've been attacked by the blasted birds that follow him around. Eager to please and fix his mistake, he turned towards the speaker with a polite smile and clasped hands. Arvo was about to respond that he himself didn't know how when somebody else stepped in. How did people react so fast? In all honesty, Arvo felt as though everything happened in slow motion, and that he'd be a step behind no matter what he did. It's probably because everything had to be thought through, and if he didn't think, he'd do something wrong. And mistakes are absolutely intolerable coming from him.

In a sort of morbid curiosity, he watched as the younger of the two men prepared his offering. He'd seen skinnings before, but not decapitation. It was interesting in a weird way. They both had such big offerings that Arvo thought surely the gods would be pleased. His offering was meager, but it was the best he could do without getting mauled by an armada of all the birds in his vicinity. Individually they chirp, united they peck.

"I presume that non-flesh offerings go in the same place. If they're even acceptable that is." Arvo said, "I would've gotten a full animal but, 1. the circumstances wouldn't allow and 2. I've never done this before."

Sizniche Sizniche capMARVELOUS capMARVELOUS

Halsten, The Man Who Has Been Everywhere

Halsten watched with intrigue at the beheading, holding his cloak to shield his offerings in case any blood sprayed his way. He smiled, and subconsciously fiddled with the string of his bow, which slung across his chest as a means of carrying it. He listened to the religious practices as if he were a stranger in a new land--like he usually was--and refamiliarized himself with a few practices he had forgotten over his travels.

"I see you are a man of the hunt as well," said Halsten to the man, as he made his offering, "It's a respectable living, though game wardens in southern lands don't seem to agree with me."

He then looked at the androgynous-looking elf, who seemed young, yet, knowing elves, Halsten couldn't be for sure. "Offerings of all kinds are accepted; as far as I know, Aesir tend to appreciate the effort and sentimental value of the offering over the raw value humans tend to arbitrarily place on things. If you give something you find meaningful, the gods will find it meaningful." He let the façade of a forgetful man briefly slip to offer some consolation to the elf.

capMARVELOUS capMARVELOUS GalacticKitten GalacticKitten

Annie

Seeing how successfully she had fixed the wall and taking great pride in it, Annie carefully ducked down to enter. She came further into the temple, looking around quietly, seeming to follow Asur like a small dog. She looked upon the sacred and hallowed ritual to Odin, and responded with "What... What is this?"

She approaches Ulrich, looking down on him. She puts a hand on what remains of the headless beaver, poking and stroking it. "What? Why have you killed this animal? Was it a threat to you, small man?" She looks around slowly, attempting to take in information. Her eyes meet with most everyone in the room. "It didn't seem like a threat..."

Sizniche Sizniche capMARVELOUS capMARVELOUS

Asur had no real offering to give, she had not really planned in taking part in this whole event but now she was. The others had brought offerings animals and feathers to give praise to the allfather, though Annie did not seem to understand the gesture. it was a showing of thanks and offering of reverence it showed you respected him by giving tribute. Still given the ritual was about respect Asur doubted Annie understood what respect even meant so of course the gesture was lost on her. Well this was also about feeling more than what something was worth and Asur had a few things she didn't want to but could part with as she traveled light. Asur looked into her pack and pulled out a small knife, it was one of the tools she had always carried part of a set meant to carve runes so that she might replace any stone she lost or engrave what was needed upon whatever surface was needed. Asur pulled out one of the knives and looked it over, the small tool had been with her for ages and while it was no dwarf forged tool it had held up well for its age. The set had been a gift from her mother to aid her quest and was rather important to Asur but still she could end up parting with it and while she would get a replacement the tool would have to be trained and she would have to learn it.

" It is an offering a show of respect to give something of yours in return for a blessing or simply to give thanks" Asur said as she placed the knife in the bowl " Not everything can be divided or must die because it is a threat death is part of life" She explained before turning to go back to where she had been sitting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back